PDA

View Full Version : Be Wary Steelers!

StillCurtains
01-06-2018, 08:14 PM
The Chiefs were just upset by the Titans after being huge favorites at home. I know that this is much to the delight of many Steelers fans here with the mindset of hoping that the Bills beat the Jaguars to bring the Titans to Pittsburgh.

If anything should be learned from today, it's that ANYONE can lose to ANYONE. For me, playing the Titans in the divisional round would be the LAST thing that I would wish to happen. Are the Steelers the better team? Yes! Would Jacksonville be extremely tough to beat? Sure! Here's the thing; you have to know the personality of your team.

Look at the week 17 game against Cleveland! Did the Steelers sit key starters? Yes they did! However, there were enough starters in that game to where they should have still won by 2 touchdowns. We were playing Cleveland which gave them a different mentality. They were half interested. Dupree said the big plays given up were because they were freelancing to break the sack record! What? That's not good.

The Steelers are in vengeance mode. They have been itching at the fact of knocking off the Patriots all season! Tomlin had his elephant in the room comment. The players have talked about them as well. The Steelers have struggled with the run as well as mobile QB's. Mariotta and Henry will give them fits. Yes, Jacksonville killed us with their run game. However, the Steelers are in a vengeance mentality as I stated above.

Jacksonville killed them just as Miami did last year. The Steelers wanted payback against the Dolphins in the playoffs and their play showed it. This will be their mentality against Jacksonville win or lose. Against the Titans though?! The Steelers clobbered the Titans. We all know the personality of this team. The Steelers will not play with an edge against them. They beat them badly. They won't see them as competition. See what I stated above about Cleveland.

Guys like Dupree and Burns would freelance against them for lack of respect. This would be the worse case scenario. AB put out his route running video today putting Ramsey and Peters on notice. The Titans corners were not considered. The Titans will look at Tomlin's mid season Patriots comments as disrespect. The Titans KNOW we clobbered them. They will be playing loose with nothing to lose. Also we know coach Dad wants to beat us badly and they have alot of former Steelers personnel that knows us well.

The Steelers would make a game against the Titans too close for comfort, and as we found out against the Chiefs, that gets you beat. Whether anyone would like to believe it or not, the Steelers' best route to the Super Bowl would be by going through Jacksonville and New England. You need to know the personality of your team, and they need to keep their mental edge of vengeance.

Don't want to have to remember the Titans.

st33lersguy
01-06-2018, 08:26 PM
Derrick Henry and a healthy Mariota are a problem matchup against a run-defense that has gotten noticeably worth without Shazier and no depth at LB. Then again, the Jags rush offense will present just as big of a mismatch against a Shazier-less defense

The Steelers would make a game against the Titans too close for comfort

Likely considering they've been doing this all year long (They won by 5 points or less against teams who missed the playoffs 7 times)

GoSlash27
01-06-2018, 09:04 PM
The Steelers know how to handle playoff games. This isn't new to them. The only reason the Chiefs lost is because they have no depth at WR or TE. They were screwed the moment Kelce went down. While I'm sure the team will prepare properly and have the right mindset for whoever shows up, I'm not personally worried about Tennessee.

We were playing Cleveland which gave them a different mentality. They were half interested. Dupree said the big plays given up were because they were freelancing to break the sack record! What? That's not good.
I think that had more to do with the game being inconsequential than the Steelers not respecting the threat. Winning or losing that game was completely inconsequential. The real objective was just to not get hurt.
Not gonna be a problem in the playoffs, where every game is a must- win.

cubanstogie
01-06-2018, 09:13 PM
The steelers put up 40 against titans earlier this year with their D coordinator knowing our offense to well. Bring em on . They couldn’t stop AB or LB in passing game.

StillCurtains
01-06-2018, 09:36 PM
The steelers put up 40 against titans earlier this year with their D coordinator knowing our offense to well. Bring em on . They couldn’t stop AB or LB in passing game.

Dude, those things hold no merit in a rematch. Teams see what you did well in the first one and adjust. I'm not saying the Steelers can't win, but you shouldn't be looking at things as if the Titans can't win either.

In 2010 the Jets were blown out by almost 40 points by the Patriots in their last meeting of the season. They came into Foxboro in the playoffs and beat them. Now is not the time to be cocky.

cubanstogie
01-06-2018, 09:58 PM
Dude, those things hold no merit in a rematch. Teams see what you did well in the first one and adjust. I'm not saying the Steelers can't win, but you shouldn't be looking at things as if the Titans can't win either.

In 2010 the Jets were blown out by almost 40 points by the Patriots in their last meeting of the season. They came into Foxboro in the playoffs and beat them. Now is not the time to be cocky.
Any given Sunday, I know its not an automatic win. Just like I know the Pats next game is not a "bye" like a lot of people on here are saying. Anything can happen, turnovers, injuries. But the Jags are a better team than the Titans, and Steelers beat Titans with LB rushing for 50 yards. They have plenty of ways to beat Titans. I would rather face the inferior team and get to Foxboro. With that said , I am confident we beat Jags as well. Luckily I am not playing, so if Im cocky its irrelevant to outcome of game. Unless you believe in superstition.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess you cant make a generalization of Jags better since they lost twice, but Steelers especially Ben looked night and day better against Titans.

DesertSteel
01-07-2018, 12:20 AM
I would be worried if it was the Browns next week.

Born2Steel
01-07-2018, 12:23 AM
So? It's either the Jags or the Titans. Both repeat games for the Steelers. I think we have this.

StillCurtains
01-07-2018, 01:06 AM
So? It's either the Jags or the Titans. Both repeat games for the Steelers. I think we have this.

Any team in the playoffs can win at ANY time. You root for your team to win, but nothing is a given. If you are good enough to be in the playoffs, you're good enough to win. Anything can happen. A slip by a defender giving up a TD, a dropped pick, a tipped pass that goes for a TD, a bad snap, bad bounces, injuries.

Those things can rear their ugly head and cost you in a playoff game. I can also mention some games that Steelers fans KNEW we had in the playoffs:

1994 AFCCG vs Chargers (favorites) Lost
1997 AFCCG vs Broncos (favorites) Lost
2001 AFCCG vs Patriots (favorites) Lost
2007 Wildcard vs Jaguars (favorites) Lost
2011 Wildcard vs Broncos (favorites) Tebowed

We were slight favorites in the 2014 Wildcard vs the Ravens, but many Steeler fans were not too confident in winning that game because we lost Bell the week before.

The thing is, the other games I mentioned are games that most Steeler fans felt we had in the bag. We're not immune to being upset and experience should teach us that. There is one thing in feeling that we are confident we can win, but there is another by being overconfident and arrogant to a point that we feel that a loss is not possible.

Born2Steel
01-07-2018, 01:42 AM
Any team in the playoffs can win at ANY time. You root for your team to win, but nothing is a given. If you are good enough to be in the playoffs, you're good enough to win. Anything can happen. A slip by a defender giving up a TD, a dropped pick, a tipped pass that goes for a TD, a bad snap, bad bounces, injuries.

Those things can rear their ugly head and cost you in a playoff game. I can also mention some games that Steelers fans KNEW we had in the playoffs:

We were slight favorites in the 2014 Wildcard vs the Ravens, but many Steeler fans were not too confident in winning that game because we lost Bell the week before.

The thing is, the other games I mentioned are games that most Steeler fans felt we had in the bag. We're not immune to being upset and experience should teach us that. There is one thing in feeling that we are confident we can win, but there is another by being overconfident and arrogant to a point that we feel that a loss is not possible.

Yes, and NOTHING I can say or do will change the outcome of any NFL game, playoffs or not. SO....We got this. Whoever the winner is this weekend, we will kick their ass.

polamalubeast
01-07-2018, 07:00 AM

It's not time to be afraid

Also, against Denver in 1997 and the jaguars in 2007, his two teams were much better than us...The steelers were even underdog against the Jaguars in 2007.

GoSlash27
01-07-2018, 08:10 AM
What Born2Steel said; I don't worry about things that are out of my control.

I'm not like a lot of Steeler fans in that I consider it a successful season so long as we make the playoffs. Mission accomplished, so I'm cool with it no matter what happens from here. The Titans in Pittsburgh? Sure, why not? Let 'er rip. That's the matchup I'm *most* confident about in this postseason.

Moose
01-07-2018, 09:14 AM
Beware of the 'WILD CARD" ! Our toughest game is always the NEXT one !

teegre
01-07-2018, 09:40 AM
Am I reading the OP correctly...

You would rather play Jacksonville (a team who beat us AND a team with an outstanding defense) than the Titans (a team we’ve beaten)...???

43Hitman
01-07-2018, 10:05 AM
I ain't skeerd

st33lersguy
01-07-2018, 10:26 AM
It's not time to be afraid

Also, against Denver in 1997 and the jaguars in 2007, his two teams were much better than us...The steelers were even underdog against the Jaguars in 2007.

2007, the Jags had a tough physical team and the Steelers were so worn down due to fatigue and injury, it was impressive they managed to make that a game after being down 18 in the first place. Plus 97 was Elway and the Broncos year to finally win one

StillCurtains
01-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Am I reading the OP correctly...

You would rather play Jacksonville (a team who beat us AND a team with an outstanding defense) than the Titans (a team we’ve beaten)...???

Yup!

As I said, I'm looking at the personality of this Steelers team. I feel that they would take the Titans lightly. Especially after beating them so convincingly in the season. That's who this team is! On the flipside, they will play with an edge vs Jacksonville since they beat us convincingly in the regular season.

Also Ben wants the Jaguars. This is like last year when Miami manhandled us in the regular season and had something to prove against them in the playoffs.

Shoes
01-07-2018, 10:51 AM
Has off season started? :chuckle:

43Hitman
01-07-2018, 10:53 AM
Yup!

As I said, I'm looking at the personality of this Steelers team. I feel that they would take the Titans lightly. Especially after beating them so convincingly in the season. That's who this team is! On the flipside, they will play with an edge vs Jacksonville since they beat us convincingly in the regular season.

Also Ben wants the Jaguars. This is like last year when Miami manhandled us in the regular season and had something to prove against them in the playoffs.

I don't know man. You are suggesting that this team is weak mentally, and after all they have been through this season and still coming out on top 13 of their 16 tries, I'm not buying that they are that weak.

And as Dan Patrick says, "If you're scared, buy a dog." :lol: :drink:

Craic
01-07-2018, 11:02 AM
Yup!

You do realize this is the playoffs, right? One and done if you lose? That has a tendency to change the mentality of any team. There's no overlooking teams in the playoffs.

teegre
01-07-2018, 11:18 AM
Yup!

Interesting

Lady Steel
01-07-2018, 01:12 PM
I ain't skeerd

Me either. I believe in Ben and his team.

Dilly! Dilly! :tt02:

ALLD
01-07-2018, 02:16 PM
The Chiefs have been choking for years. I remember when they were 14-2 and lost in their first round.

polamalubeast
01-07-2018, 03:39 PM
I'm confident the steelers are going to beat the Jaguars, but please, do not compare the jaguars to the dolphins of last year, since the dolphins had no defense and the defense of the jaguars is one of the best.

SteelMayhem72
01-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Use the Bills blueprint on Defense and Im confident we can outscore their offense. I just hope Ben doesnt regress and start aiming the ball afraid of throwing picks. Use a lot

of play action, use Bell a lot as checkdown because I do believe they will try and stop the run first. Also, screens to Bell but not so much wr screens because jags are a fast

defense. Vance McDonald I think will be huge this game and we need him to be!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I hope New Orleans spanks Carolina...I hate crybaby Newton!!!

RunNGun
01-07-2018, 03:50 PM
They better hit Fournette and hit him early. He really can take over a game by gashing and wearing down a defense. If he gets going it will be a nailbiter. VW needs to step up in a big way.

Fire Goodell
01-07-2018, 04:11 PM
Bring on the jagoffs!

Craic
01-07-2018, 04:14 PM
After the way they played this morning, I really don't see a threat beyond the "Any given Sunday" possibility of losing a game to another team.

DesertSteel
01-07-2018, 04:17 PM
They better hit Fournette and hit him early. He really can take over a game by gashing and wearing down a defense. If he gets going it will be a nailbiter. VW needs to step up in a big way.
Sorry but I don't see it. LF is overrated.

- - - Updated - - -

The Chiefs have been choking for years. I remember when they were 14-2 and lost in their first round.
Why Reid gets labeled a great coach I'll never understand.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-07-2018, 04:23 PM
If the Bills wr's and te's could catch we would have been playing the Titans next week. There must have been 8 or more drop balls right in their hands.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-07-2018, 04:49 PM
Use the Bills blueprint on Defense and Im confident we can outscore their offense. I just hope Ben doesnt regress and start aiming the ball afraid of throwing picks. Use a lot

of play action, use Bell a lot as checkdown because I do believe they will try and stop the run first. Also, screens to Bell but not so much wr screens because jags are a fast

defense. Vance McDonald I think will be huge this game and we need him to be!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I hope New Orleans spanks Carolina...I hate crybaby Newton!!! Yep stop LF and the running game. Stack the line and dare Blake to beat ya.

RunNGun
01-07-2018, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=DesertSteel;629591]Sorry but I don't see it. LF is

He's not an all pro or flashy by any means, but he definitely packs a punch. In previous years it was the backs that were shifty and good WRS out of the backfield, but now we have the speed on defense to where that's not the issue. It's the big backs that are more physical than our LBs that give us problems. Fournette is that guy. If we let the Jags hang around and Fournette gets 25 carries it's a recipe for disaster.

SteelMayhem72
01-07-2018, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=DesertSteel;629591]Sorry but I don't see it. LF is

He's not an all pro or flashy by any means, but he definitely packs a punch. In previous years it was the backs that were shifty and good WRS out of the backfield, but now we have the speed on defense to where that's not the issue. It's the big backs that are more physical than our LBs that give us problems. Fournette is that guy. If we let the Jags hang around and Fournette gets 25 carries it's a recipe for disaster.Come out fast and score fast and keep scoring...make them one dimensional

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

DesertSteel
01-07-2018, 06:27 PM
LF is a good back but I just don't see him taking over games.

steel striker
01-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Going to be a tough game must stop Fournette and, Bell needs to pound the rock. Ben has to play a good clean game as well.

Iron Steeler
01-08-2018, 04:06 PM
At this point I hope the Steelers are adopting "KILL EM ALL" mentality . We shouldn't care who is on the other side of the ball, just win the game.

It could be a hybrid of The Rams Greatest show on Turf & 85 Bears Defense. We need to believe that we are better and are going to Win!