PDA

View Full Version : Don't take Keith Butler for granted

Edman
01-06-2018, 05:21 PM
Going into 2017, Butler saw the writing on the wall and decided that trotting out mediocrity at corner and dominantly playing the Lebeau zone would spell doom. The Steelers switched to playing man, dumped the Cockrings and Blakes and look at how much the Defense has improved.

"Not giving up big plays" doesn't matter when modern NFL offenses can just pick apart that cushion all day.

Lebeau is currently getting ripped apart by Alex Smith. Yes, that Alex Smith.

The Zone Blitz had its heyday in the NFL in the 90's and 00's, but now its over.

fansince'76
01-06-2018, 05:33 PM
It's also nice to no longer see young defensive players rot on the bench for years after being drafted because the defense is "too complicated" and "takes at least 3 years to learn."

polamalubeast
01-06-2018, 05:37 PM
I do not think Butler is a great DC (I do not say he is bad), since the steelers have too often a communication problem and too many blown coverage, but yes the zone blitz is dead since 2010!

tube517
01-06-2018, 05:55 PM
The zone blitz was exposed in 2001 by the Bungles. Troy covered alot of deficiencies when he played but when he was injured and later got old the defense ducked donkey balls

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GoSlash27
01-06-2018, 07:02 PM
Lebeau is currently getting ripped apart by Alex Smith. Yes, that Alex Smith.
I'd be happy to take Alex Smith if it wouldn't bust the budget. Dude's a damn good QB, just has nobody to throw to.

lipps83
01-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Don't like Butler, but he redeemed himself a tad this year with how he called the defense overall, especially against the Pats. It only took Lebeau/Butler 15 years too late to change their approach to Brady, but golly they finally may have done it. Will see for sure how they call the 2nd game against Brady (yeah I just did).

pczach
01-06-2018, 07:53 PM
I do not think Butler is a great DC (I do not say he is bad), since the steelers have too often a communication problem and too many blown coverage, but yes the zone blitz is dead since 2010!

You have to give him a little slack. Much of that is on the players screwing up, plus his defensive play caller that communicates everything on the field is currently fighting to regain the use of his legs.

They have two weeks to work out all the communication problems. Whether the players responsible for making those calls now have the mental acumen to execute everything as well as Shazier is an unknown.

He has also shown the ability to evolve quickly, and has made adjustments to LeBeau's scheme and has changed the way the defense plays at all levels. Being able to get young, talented defenders on the field early in their careers is a huge boost, and helps keep the salary cap under control when inexpensive rookies are major contributors and you don't have to sign expensive free agents to fill the roster until they're ready.

I'd say he's done pretty well so far adjusting the scheme to fit the talent.

86WARD
01-06-2018, 07:58 PM
It's also nice to no longer see young defensive players rot on the bench for years after being drafted because the defense is "too complicated" and "takes at least 3 years to learn."

THIS!!! One of the biggest pluses to LeBeau being let go...

cubanstogie
01-06-2018, 08:05 PM
I guess Lebeau made some adjustments, kc with goose egg in second half! Lol

st33lersguy
01-06-2018, 08:17 PM
He does well against weak offenses, against better offenses, not so much. Plus the defensive performance has been uneven to put it nicely since they got torched for over 400 yards by Matt Stafford in week 8, and the run defense was a problem for a couple of games even before that

fansince'76
01-06-2018, 09:04 PM
THIS!!! One of the biggest pluses to LeBeau being let go...

Especially when said defensive system with the giant learning curve has been shown to be completely ineffective in the NFL of the late 2010s and is routinely exploited by even scrub QBs at this point of things.

Hawkman
01-06-2018, 09:04 PM
I love the fact that fifteen different players have had at least one sack. Pressure is coming from a lot of different places. Eleven different players have had interceptions. I like that too.

fansince'76
01-06-2018, 09:09 PM
He does well against weak offenses, against better offenses, not so much. Plus the defensive performance has been uneven to put it nicely since they got torched for over 400 yards by Matt Stafford in week 8, and the run defense was a problem for a couple of games even before that

That's kinda to be expected, especially with the rules being what they are and players of Haden's and Shazier's caliber missing big chunks of the season. The main thing is, the defense isn't a complete sieve anymore and isn't losing the team games like it had been doing fairly regularly from about 2009 on. So there has been a marked improvement.

Edman
01-07-2018, 06:51 AM
I guess Lebeau made some adjustments, kc with goose egg in second half! Lol

And now he potentially goes into New England against the quarterback that knows his defense better than his own player does. We're going to see reason #2 why Lebeau was cut loose as NE coasts to another AFC Title game.

polamalubeast
01-07-2018, 09:31 AM
You have to give him a little slack. Much of that is on the players screwing up, plus his defensive play caller that communicates everything on the field is currently fighting to regain the use of his legs.

They have two weeks to work out all the communication problems. Whether the players responsible for making those calls now have the mental acumen to execute everything as well as Shazier is an unknown.

He has also shown the ability to evolve quickly, and has made adjustments to LeBeau's scheme and has changed the way the defense plays at all levels. Being able to get young, talented defenders on the field early in their careers is a huge boost, and helps keep the salary cap under control when inexpensive rookies are major contributors and you don't have to sign expensive free agents to fill the roster until they're ready.

I'd say he's done pretty well so far adjusting the scheme to fit the talent.

Yes, but for the blown coverage was a problem even before Shazier's injury ... The game against the packers was atrocious for the blown coverage.

Of course, the players are to blame too (Burns) but I have rarely seen a steelers defense have so many blown coverage, especially in the second half of the season.

Edman
01-07-2018, 10:17 AM
Yes, but for the blown coverage was a problem even before Shazier's injury ... The game against the packers was atrocious for the blown coverage.

Of course, the players are to blame too (Burns) but I have rarely seen a steelers defense have so many blown coverage, especially in the second half of the season.

Coty Sensablake can't cover.

Notice how when the Steelers sent the ineffective veteran to the bench and started playing the guy who can actually play (Sutton), the "blown coverages" suddenly dissipated.

If Lebeau were still here, Sensabaugh would still be starting for "knowing the system", and the Steelers are probably playing today instead of next week.

43Hitman
01-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Coty Sensablake can't cover.

Notice how when the Steelers sent the ineffective veteran to the bench and started playing the guy who can actually play (Sutton), the "blown coverages" suddenly dissipated.

If Lebeau were still here, Sensabaugh would still be starting for "knowing the system", and the Steelers are probably playing today instead of next week.

True. Gotta give Mike Tomlin lots of credit for making those changes at half-time when Coty was being exposed. He has done one heck of a job this year coaching. You can tell he self-evaluated at the end of last season, because has improved in most areas that were perceived weaknesses.

Mojouw
01-07-2018, 11:42 AM
Sean Davis second year. Artie Burns second year.
Joe Haden first in system.
Mike Hilton first in system.
Sensabaugh first in system.
Sutton rookie missed all season.

Amazing there wasn’t more communication problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pczach
01-07-2018, 12:20 PM
Sean Davis second year. Artie Burns second year.
Joe Haden first in system.
Mike Hilton first in system.
Sensabaugh first in system.
Sutton rookie missed all season.

Amazing there wasn’t more communication problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. Good post.

DesertSteel
01-07-2018, 04:15 PM
Is he a head coaching candidate?