PDA

View Full Version : Targeting JuJu Smith-Schuster Yielded Highest Passer Rating In NFL In 2017

polamalubeast
01-05-2018, 10:17 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers knew that they would be getting some good juju with their second-round pick in last year’s draft, but I doubt even they realized the extent to which that pick—wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster—would perform during his rookie season for a team with legitimate championship aspirations.

The 20-year-old came in and very quickly cemented a role for himself in the offense. He rotated as the slot receiver in the opener, even though he was not targeted, but he began producing through the air in game two, including his first touchdown.

It would not be long that he found himself logging the bulk of the snaps at wide receiver in two-receiver sets, effectively passing Martavis Bryant on the depth chart and pairing with Antonio Brown as the team’s two starting wide receivers.

That all culminated in the season finale, during which Smith-Schuster played 56 of 59 possible offensive snaps. The only three snaps for which he was not on the field were three snaps at the goal line where the offense utilized 23 personnel—two backs, three tight ends. And yet they even used him in a tight end role a few times.

Of course, he wouldn’t be getting the playing time if he were not producing, and he certainly has been. While he was robbed of two games in the second half of the season, his final seven games of the season were an outpouring of offense.

Including three 100-yard performances during the span, Smith-Schuster over his last seven games recorded 686 receiving yards on 41 receptions with four receiving touchdowns. To put that in a season-long perspective, those numbers would prorate out to 94 receptions for 1568 yards and nine touchdowns. Or, really, just about what Antonio Brown put up this season.

All of this, according to Pro Football Focus, ended up working out quite well for Ben Roethlisberger and Landry Jones, as their numbers show that the rookie, when targeted, produced a quarterback rating of 134.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01/targeting-juju-smith-schuster-yielded-highest-passer-rating-nfl-2017/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Psycho Ward 86
01-05-2018, 10:18 AM
Thats insane. I remember a little more than halfway through the season, that QB rating while targeted was just barely under a perfect passer rating. No defense can stop us, only ourselves

polamalubeast
01-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Thats insane. I remember a little more than halfway through the season, that QB rating while targeted was just barely under a perfect passer rating. No defense can stop us, only ourselves

and Haley!

- - - Updated - - -

Pittsburgh Steelers: Through 17 weeks, rookie wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster has caught 58-of-77 targets for 917 yards and seven touchdowns, all good for a passer rating when targeted of 134.0. This is the best mark among all wide receivers this year and the best mark ever recorded by a rookie.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-32-nfl-observations-week-17?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cjaff

teegre
01-05-2018, 10:40 AM
Hmmm...

134 is not good.
134 is insane.

Mojouw
01-05-2018, 12:14 PM
ANyone notice how the "resurgence" in the middle of the season for the offense is also when Ben and Haley seemed to remember that you can attack defense between the hash marks in addition to down the sidelines?

Also, wonder who that weapon over the middle was....? What's....his name again....oh that's right -- JUJUBEE!

tube517
01-05-2018, 12:35 PM
ANyone notice how the "resurgence" in the middle of the season for the offense is also when Ben and Haley seemed to remember that you can attack defense between the hash marks in addition to down the sidelines?

Also, wonder who that weapon over the middle was....? What's....his name again....oh that's right -- JUJUBEE!

Going back to that 2nd half of the Colts game. That was the turning point. Jujubee's been on fire since (See his last 7 games' stats above)

Fire Goodell
01-05-2018, 04:26 PM
It's not Jujubee its JujuBeast :D

Anyway feed the beast all the way to the SB! All this kid does is make plays.

AB / Juju / Bell / Martavis finding his groove. This offense is unstoppable if they all stay healthy

Hawkman
01-05-2018, 04:43 PM
It's not Jujubee its JujuBeast :D

Anyway feed the beast all the way to the SB! All this kid does is make plays.

AB / Juju / Bell / Martavis finding his groove. This offense is unstoppable if they all stay healthy

Throw in a little McDonald (if he just stay healthy).......

GoSlash27
01-05-2018, 05:36 PM
Not saying this to tear down JuJu. JuJu is a beast and is truly on AB's level in all respects except experience, and will only get better.

*BUT*....

Stats can be misleading. The reason this stat is so far off the chart is because the coverage has been focused on AB. Still, this is excellent news for us. Having all these explosive weapons on the field at the same time makes for an insoluble problem for defenses. Ben under center behind what is arguably the best o line in the league throwing to Antonio, lil'JuJu, Lev Bell, *and* Vance McDonald? That's an unstoppable offense.

- - - Updated - - -

Not saying this to tear down JuJu. JuJu is a beast and is truly on AB's level in all respects except experience, and will only get better.

*BUT*....

Stats can be misleading. The reason this stat is so far off the chart is because the coverage has been focused on AB. Still, this is excellent news for us. Having all these explosive weapons on the field at the same time makes for an insoluble problem for defenses. Ben under center behind what is arguably the best o line in the league throwing to Antonio, lil'JuJu, Lev Bell, *and* Vance McDonald? That's an unstoppable offense.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-05-2018, 07:20 PM
Juju has been impressive in the last two games without AB. Even with Landry at QB.

86WARD
01-05-2018, 08:03 PM
I just want to see JuJu’s celebration after winning the Super Bowl...that’s all...

GoSlash27
01-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Juju has been impressive in the last two games without AB. Even with Landry at QB.
Absolutely. I agree 100%. Lil' JuJu is really that good. the scary part for defenses is that he will be even better in the coming years than he is right now. I'm just sayin' don't be misled by the stats. A lot of that has more to do with DC fears of AB than JuJu's sheer ability as an individual player. If he's defended as a top- tier threat (which he is), his numbers drop back down into the realm of sanity.

The problem for defenses is that the Steelers are flush with top- tier threats and they cannot all be defended. The only possible answer is to win turnovers and ball control, thus not allowing this crushing offense the TOP to bury you.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely. I agree 100%. Lil' JuJu is really that good. the scary part for defenses is that he will be even better in the coming years than he is right now. I'm just sayin' don't be misled by the stats. A lot of that has more to do with DC fears of AB than JuJu's sheer ability as an individual player. If he's defended as a top- tier threat (which he is), his numbers drop back down into the realm of sanity.

The problem for defenses is that the Steelers are flush with top- tier threats and they cannot all be defended. The only possible answer is to win turnovers and ball control, thus not allowing this crushing offense the TOP to bury you.

01-05-2018, 08:21 PM

- - - Updated - - -

The problem for defenses is that the Steelers are flush with top- tier threats and they cannot all be defended. The only possible answer is to win turnovers and ball control, thus not allowing this crushing offense the TOP to bury you. Agreed to many weapons on this team this year! AB and JuJu are going to wreck havoc on D's for years to come.

Hawkman
01-05-2018, 09:09 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Is it just me or are all of your post showing up doubled.

Steelerette
01-05-2018, 11:16 PM
People once discussed Plaxico Burress and Hines Ward as perhaps the best WR tandem in the league.

Martavis Bryant and Juju is better than that.

Oh plus there's some guy called Antonio Brown on top of it. Insane.

GoSlash27
01-06-2018, 02:46 AM
Hawkman,
It's not just you. My connection to this forum is super slow and it double posts a lot.

Fire Goodell
01-06-2018, 02:52 AM
Is that Pittsburgh Dad in your avy?

GoSlash27
01-06-2018, 04:20 AM
Is that Pittsburgh Dad in your avy?

No, that's actually me :D

Kansas City 2011, if memory serves.

polamalubeast
01-06-2018, 07:47 AM
It's true that this year, JuJu was not the first player to stop for the opponent, since Bell and Brown are the first two, but the steelers needed a player who could produce after Brown and Bell and JuJu is the answer for that.

Also, we saw in the past, players that we thought was productive only because he was a number 2 and that he was not in the gameplan for the opponent because the first option of the team was much better and had the double teams, but when they became number 1 option of the team because the other left or other reason, they became even better.

Yes, I'm talking about the example of Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown.

polamalubeast
01-06-2018, 10:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zynM8Y7rD7Q

Hawkman
01-06-2018, 10:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zynM8Y7rD7Q

Great reel! One of the things I love about the kid, he makes defenders pay for trying to tackle him. He can put a hit on guys. Another thing, if he senses someone close, (after the catch), he stows the ball. He has great ball protection, maybe better than AB. JuJu could be the X-factor that keeps Ben playing for another year or two.

pczach
01-06-2018, 11:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvuj7-xspns

BlackAndGold
01-07-2018, 04:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvuj7-xspns

One of the comments lmao.

Steeler's Locker Room: Mike Tomlin: "How'd y'all prep for the game today?"
Big Ben: "I was in the gym for 6 hours"
Antonio Brown: "Yeah I was with Ben"
Le'Veon: "I ran 15 miles"
Mike Tomlin: "How about you JuJu?"
JuJu: "I walked around Pittsburgh as a News Reporter"
Mike Tomlin: "Aight we ready"

pczach
01-07-2018, 06:21 AM

:rofl2:

How about this hater!

"JUJU Full of himself..he'll be released or traded in a couple years. Not a great receiver...better hope you don't run into Burfict out there. Get that ass beat."

I didn't know Vontaze Burfict trolls on YouTube! :chuckle:

Lady Steel
01-07-2018, 02:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM0qnmlSOZo&feature=youtu.be

BlackAndGold
01-07-2018, 07:27 PM
:rofl2:

How about this hater!

"JUJU Full of himself..he'll be released or traded in a couple years. Not a great receiver...better hope you don't run into Burfict out there. Get that ass beat."

I didn't know Vontaze Burfict trolls on YouTube! :chuckle:

Internet is full of stupid

DesertSteel
01-07-2018, 07:39 PM

Steeler's Locker Room: Mike Tomlin: "How'd y'all prep for the game today?"
Big Ben: "I was in the gym for 6 hours"
Antonio Brown: "Yeah I was with Ben"
Le'Veon: "I ran 15 miles"
Mike Tomlin: "How about you JuJu?"
JuJu: "I walked around Pittsburgh as a News Reporter"

Mike Tomlin: "Aight we ready"

I doubt Ben has spent a total of 6 hours in the gym since he's been a Steeler lol.

Steeldude
01-07-2018, 08:18 PM
Now if they could only draft CBs like they do WRs.

01-07-2018, 09:00 PM
I doubt Ben has spent a total of 6 hours in the gym since he's been a Steeler lol. If he did you would see a glimpse of a triceps muscle lol.