PDA

View Full Version : For this year's playoff run; think about what t means to Ben's Legacy.

StillCurtains
01-04-2018, 06:49 PM
Hello Guys,

After the 1979 season, the Steelers would go on a 26 year drought for a Super Bowl. Bradshaw would retire in 1983 and we had to sift through a putrid list of QB's like: Malone, Brister, Graham and Tomzcak. Maddox was able to inject some life and respectability in the Steelers' hopes, but nothing more. Kordell, although talented, didn't have the strong mental toughness nor the ability to read defenses that the Steelers needed. O'Donnell came the closest, but never had that IT factor and led many to believe that he threw Super Bowl 30 to the Cowboys.

After many years of futility, enter 2004 when the Steelers drafted Ben Roethlisberger. We all felt that we might have our guy! A big, tough, strong armed QB with a will to win. After Maddox's injury in game 2 of 2004, Ben led the team in his rookie campaign to a 15-1 season and AFCCG vs the Patriots. They lost the game and he tells Bettis to return and promised him a Championship. An injury riddled Steelers team had to claw their way to 4 straight wins to qualify for the playoffs in 2005 as the 6th seed. He led them to a win in Cincy, secured the win against top seed Indy with "The Tackle", played a spectacular AFCCG in Denver and made true to his promise to Bettis in Detroit in Super Bowl 40 sending him home.

He was still young though and his youth showed immaturity. His motorcycle accident and his rape allegation come to mind about his wild lifestyle. We later come to find out over the years that he has a penchant for drama. He at times extended plays that has been his trademark, but also at times find that he should throw it away. Throughout his career we found that he is extremely tough, plays through pain, takes huge shots, is extremely hard to bring down, is highly competitive, has a strong will to win, shows up in the clutch, and has a chip on his shoulder.

He delivered a clutch 92 yard game winning drive connecting with Santonio Holmes in the corner of the endzone to help secure a 6th Lombardi trophy for the Steelers in Super Bowl 43 in 2008. He led the team to Super Bowl 45 in 2010 in a loss to the Packers that still bothers him. From that time he has led the Steelers to playoff appearances in 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016 with all coming up short of a Championship mostly due to injuries and suspensions.

With it all said and done, Ben has never had a losing season. His resume in 14 seasons is 10 playoff appearances, 3 Super Bowl appearances, and 2 Super Bowl wins with a chance at another. He's the only QB in NFL history that has thrown for 500 yards or more 3 times. He's the youngest QB to ever win a Super Bowl.

It's hard to win in this league and Ben has taken us on one heck of a ride. We all know his time is coming to an end. Will it be at the end of this playoff run? Will it be next year? 2 years from now? Who knows? What we do know is that when it happens, legacies will be spoken of. Brady, Peyton, Eli and Ben will all have legacies spoken of and intertwined together.

We're not sure if this is Ben's last playoff run even if he were to return for a couple more seasons. For this current playoff run though, the competitor in Ben is starting to show, as he knows he can stamp his legacy. He wants another shot at Jacksonville to prove that he is not what those 5 picks he threw indicate. What does this tell you?

Well I know that there are quite a few here that would love to avoid the Patriots in this years playoff run. However, if Ben's remarks about Jacksonville are any indicator, he wants New England as well. Many can say that they would take a Super Bowl any way they can take it. Who wouldn't? So would Ben! But the competitor that Ben is, you can bet your bottom dollar who wants to go through New England! He knows it's his legacy. He knows that he may never get another shot again. It took 12 years before last year to meet the Patriots again in the playoffs.

Ben also knows that he and Brady are not getting any younger. It's been injuries and suspensions that have derailed the Steelers chances vs the Patriots in the last 4 meetings. When people speak of the legacies of Brady, Peyton, Eli, and Ben, people will speak of Ben of winning Super Bowls but never going through Brady. Peyton and Eli don't have that problem. Heck even Flacco can retire and say he went through Brady.

Ben doesn't want that asterisk next to his legacy and neither should we. Best believe that Ben wants to go through the Patriots, and if they get that far and go against them healthy, I like their chances. So before anyone wants to talk about avoiding the Patriots because of their own fears, think about the legacy that Ben wants. The QB that has brought 2 more titles to the city after a 26 year drought and is working on another.

polamalubeast
01-04-2018, 06:58 PM
I want to beat the Patriots, but it is unfair to judge Roethlisberger on the struggle against the pats, since most of the time, our defense was atrocious against the pats and our offense often had injuries ....

Eli Manning beat twice the pats, but it took a team effort in his 2 wins ....

One of Flacco's 2 wins against the Pats, Flacco has only completed 4 passes(2009) !!!!! and the another win his defense had allowed just 13 points and 0 in the second half in 2012.

Peyton, his defense gave 16 and 18 points in 2 of his wins.

Ben can add for his legacy, but no matter what happens, he will have had a great career and no the steelers will have no asterik if they win the super bowl without playing against the pats.

vasteeler
01-04-2018, 07:00 PM
Great post. I think Ben did have a losing season though. 2006 I think they went 6-10.

polamalubeast
01-04-2018, 07:01 PM
Great post. I think Ben did have a losing season though. 2006 I think they went 6-10.

No it was 8-8.Ben has the 4th best winning percentage for a QB with at least 100 start,behind Brady,Peyton and Montana

vasteeler
01-04-2018, 07:08 PM
No it was 8-8.Ben has the 4th best winning percentage for a QB with at least 100 start,behind Brady,Peyton and Montana

I stand corrected, thanks.

StillCurtains
01-04-2018, 07:29 PM
I want to beat the Patriots, but it is unfair to judge Roethlisberger on the struggle against the pats, since most of the time, our defense was atrocious against the pats and our offense often had injuries ....

Eli Manning beat twice the pats, but it took a team effort in his 2 wins ....

One of Flacco's 2 wins against the Pats, Flacco has only completed 4 passes(2009) !!!!! and the another win his defense had allowed just 13 points and 0 in the second half in 2012.

Peyton, his defense gave 16 and 18 points in 2 of his wins.

Ben can add for his legacy, but no matter what happens, he will have had a great career and no the steelers will have no asterik if they win the super bowl without playing against the pats.

I never said that the Steelers will have an asterisk but the Pundits will say that Ben does. Heck their are some that already say that Ben and the Steelers won Super Bowls because they avoided playing the Patriots. Also when speaking of legacies, pundits never speak of reasons why these matchups were won after they all retire.

All they speak of is head to head W/L record in Brady ve Manning, Brady vs Ben, etc.
That's it! They go by W/L record head to head in regular season and W/L record head to head in the playoffs.
None of the other intangibles are mentioned and nor do the pundits care.

steelreserve
01-04-2018, 07:38 PM
I don't care who we beat. I want us to win the Super Bowl and I want things to go as badly for Tom Goatse and the Patriots as possible, which means losing every game. If that doesn't line up with us playing them again, oh well.

polamalubeast
01-04-2018, 07:42 PM
For me, I do not care what others think of our team since even if the steelers win against the pats and after win the super bowl, we will hear that the steelers were lucky or that the pats were not so good.

Even for the giants,Many believe that Eli Manning/Tom Coughlin's two super bowl were lucky because of Kyle Williams' two fumbles in 2011 and Tyree's helmet catch in 2007.

I don't care the way or against which if we win the super bowl since the pundits will always be there no matter what.

Mojouw
01-04-2018, 07:47 PM
Flags fly for ever as they say. Once you hang that championship banner up and put that Lombardi in the case, I don;t think anyone is losing too much sleep about how it got there.

teegre
01-04-2018, 07:54 PM
Whenever a Taperiots fan tries to pull that crap, I remind them of Darren Bevell.

Oh... how counterintuitive is it that a team which is referred to as the “Asterisks” would try to give any other team an asterisk. That’s like the pot calling the banana black.

cubanstogie
01-04-2018, 08:17 PM
The cheats should be playing this week for christ sakes. The call against James was bad enough but the one they called back on Jets was even worse. How can a runner have ruled to fumble when he never fumbles the ball. Complete joke. They have more asterisks next to their wins than any team in NFL history. Tuck rule, come on man! How many times has the tuck rule been called in NFL history, yet its called when cheats are about to lose playoff game against Raiders it saves their ass.

Iron Steeler
01-04-2018, 08:18 PM
JAGS PATS are my choices.

st33lersguy
01-04-2018, 11:13 PM
The fact that the Cheatriots weren't good enough to make it past the divisional round in years the Steelers went to the Super Bowl doesn't tarnish those championships in the least bit. Let Cheater fans cry about it, it will be fun. Though it would be satisfying to beat New England and win a Super Bowl, it will be equally satisfying if the Cheaters turn out to be not good enough to make it past the divisional round and the Steelers win the Super Bowl and whiny cheater fans cry about how they only won because they didn't play New England.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus I think it may be better to avoid New England due to the fact that they will have to play the refs and Pats super-fan Al Riggeron as well as the ridiculous level of blind luck New England has been blessed with this millennium and the tricks that seem to go on in that stadium

Psycho Ward 86
01-04-2018, 11:22 PM
im right with you. give me the jaguars, patriots, and anyone in the NFC for a revenge tour

Butch
01-05-2018, 12:34 AM
The fact that the Cheatriots weren't good enough to make it past the divisional round in years the Steelers went to the Super Bowl doesn't tarnish those championships in the least bit. Let Cheater fans cry about it, it will be fun. Though it would be satisfying to beat New England and win a Super Bowl, it will be equally satisfying if the Cheaters turn out to be not good enough to make it past the divisional round and the Steelers win the Super Bowl and whiny cheater fans cry about how they only won because they didn't play New England.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus I think it may be better to avoid New England due to the fact that they will have to play the refs and Pats super-fan Al Riggeron as well as the ridiculous level of blind luck New England has been blessed with this millennium and the tricks that seem to go on in that stadium
This is how I feel.

steel striker
01-05-2018, 01:28 AM
It would be great to see the Steelers crush the cheats once and for all to see. The so called experts can't usually give Ben any credit and, even when Brady plays bad they hardly so a word. I hate the cheats more than any other team in the NFL and, it seems in the playoffs they get every call, every bounce goes there way as well. I feel it's the Steelers time and, it's time to put an end to the cheats!!

DesertSteel
01-05-2018, 09:06 AM
I remember when Peyton finally got over the Brady hump and I think the same thing will happen with Ben this year.

86WARD
01-05-2018, 03:07 PM
Number One seeds don’t win many Super Bowls...just saying...