PDA

View Full Version : Dunlap: Time For Steelers To Draft A Quarterback In First Round

polamalubeast
01-03-2018, 09:52 AM
PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) – The Pittsburgh Steelers need help at inside linebacker. We know this because we don’t know if Ryan Shazier will ever play football again. If you made me bet one way or the other as I sit here today, I’d say his career is over. That’s a terrible thing to both think and say, but it feels like a reality. I’m hoping we see the guy walk again — that would be a victory as far as I’m concerned.

That said, again, the Steelers need help at inside linebacker. Lots of it. But that can wait until the Steelers’ second selection of this coming draft. On top of that, the Steelers should really think about taking an inside backer with more than one of their picks. Stockpile a few of them and hope one turns out for you. If more than one does, what a bonus!

Know what they need to do with the first pick they have, which should come around 29th or so? The Steelers need to select Ben Roethlisberger’s successor.

Quit screwing around with the inevitable.

The time to take Big Ben’s replacement is now — because this franchise cannot get caught left in a lurch needing to count on Landry Jones and/or Joshua Dobbs. Both of those gentlemen seem as if they are fine backups, but the time to take the real next starter is in this draft.

read more

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/01/02/dunlap-time-steelers-draft-first-round-quarterback/

DesertSteel
01-03-2018, 09:55 AM
29th?! Stopped there.

polamalubeast
01-03-2018, 09:57 AM
29th?! Stopped there.

It was not his point of his article ....

He just thinks steelers need to draft a new QB in the first round......Are you agree?

DesertSteel
01-03-2018, 10:01 AM
It was not his point of his article ....
Awared.

He just thinks steelers need to draft a new QB in the first round......Are you agree?
Only if it's not a reach. I'd rather take two in the middle than stretch for one in the first.

steelreserve
01-03-2018, 10:47 AM
Only if it's not a reach. I'd rather take two in the middle than stretch for one in the first.

I think you'd have better luck finding a good ILB doing that than a good QB.

Normally there are two or three decent QB prospects and you need to use THREE first-round picks to move up to get one unless you're in the top 5. This year there are five or six, and we might get one straight-up, or with a small trade-up. Happens about once every 10 years, and our current QB has a couple years left. I'd say this is the time to do it. You can get by without a star ILB, or design your scheme to compensate for it. A competent QB, not so much. We can try more fourth-round flyers, but usually what you end up with there is trash.

SteelerFanInStl
01-03-2018, 11:50 AM
It really just depends on how the draft plays out and who's available. Yes, it's time to find Ben's successor but let's not reach to try to accomplish that. I can't say that I'm really sold on any of the QBs coming out this year.

Rotorhead
01-03-2018, 11:51 AM
I keep reading the QB crop this year is deep, so sounds good to take one this year. We don't really have that many big holes to fill, S, ILB and OLB would be by top 3 in that order. I would, however, try to fill the Safety position with a FA signing, then we are really only looking at ILB for a big need and OLB for an upgrade to Dupree. After that would be TE.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-03-2018, 11:51 AM
If one is there that they covet, I believe its time to draft one at #32, or even trade up a few spots, but only if its a player they think can be a franchise QB. I recall having this discussion a year ago when some mocked Deshaun Watson to the Steelers and some posters thought he wasn't an NFL QB, while some thought he would never make it to the bottom of the 1st round.

I think Rosen, Darnold(if he comes out), Allen will go in the 1st round and somebody will be enamored with Mayfield in the 1st(I sure hope not the Steelers). The wildcard to me is Lamar Jackson. He has a nice base when he gets his feet under him for passing and has a real strong arm. Athleticism is amazing as well all know, but if scouts see that he has what it takes to operate in the pocket and use his athleticism to find WR's down the field like Russell Wilson, rather than run like Mike Vick....he can be a game changer at QB.

Otherwise, maybe wait until the bottom of the 2nd for a guy like Luke Falk and I think he projects to be more of a Kirk Cousins type guy in a couple years. Good arm strength and accuracy, but needs work on progressions and the pre snap reads.

Hawkman
01-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Face it we have to really suck, to get a decent QB......unless of course we trade up.

polamalubeast
01-03-2018, 12:00 PM
I keep reading the QB crop this year is deep, so sounds good to take one this year. We don't really have that many big holes to fill, S, ILB and OLB would be by top 3 in that order. I would, however, try to fill the Safety position with a FA signing, then we are really only looking at ILB for a big need and OLB for an upgrade to Dupree. After that would be TE.

For the ILB position, I would not be surprised to see Timmons return next year if the Dolphins release him ....

Born2Steel
01-03-2018, 12:12 PM
Will Grier and Jake Browning are returning to school, Josh Allen has declared for the draft, and Lamar Jackson has apparently decided on an agent but has not officially declared.

Is this the right year to draft a QB in the 1st? Still working out the answer to that question. Depends on which underclassmen stay in school. There aren't many polished and ready seniors this year. Mayfield will go in the first. Ryan Finley may go in the first/early 2nd, depending on his workouts.

Born2Steel
01-03-2018, 12:24 PM
3 QBs to pay attention to during predraft workouts, underwear Olympics, and senior bowl/shrine game.

Mike White, QB, Western KY Hilltoppers, 6'4" 225lbs, 65.7 comp%, 7.46 yards/attempt, 4177Yards, 26TDs, 8INTs, 6Rushing TDs, 44Sacks

Logan Woodside, QB, Toledo Rockets, 6'2" 210lbs, 64.2comp%, 9.45yards/attempt, 3882Yards, 22TDs, 8INTs, 1RushingTD, 22Sacks

Jeremiah Briscoe, QB, SamHouston, 6'3" 225lbs, 57.9comp%, 8.6yards/attempt, 5003yards, 45TDs, 16INTs, 3RushingTDs, 15Sacks

steelreserve
01-03-2018, 12:31 PM
For the ILB position, I would not be surprised to see Timmons return next year if the Dolphins release him ....

Ding ding ding. Larry Foote situation all over again. Not the long-term answer, but it will solve our problem for a couple years, for a hell of a lot less trouble than the alternatives.

Whether we're talking ILB, safety or TE, I think it's a lot more likely to find the solution with a mid-priced free agent. We don't have to be great at all of them, just decent, and we have some OK players there already. QB is an all-or-nothing situation.

I admittedly haven't been able to follow college football that closely this year so I am not 100% sure who is going to be available and who we like - but if someone is there at the end of the first round, or even at like #20 and we have to give up a future pick or two (not first-round obviously), then I just think the odds are we're not going to get many better chances than that.

Unless we fail to act and have a Landry Jones-alike as our starter. Then we'll be in a position to get a top QB prospect without trading up for sure, and all we'll have to do in exchange is have a few losing seasons, probably turn over the entire coaching staff, and lose most of the good players who want to go somewhere they can win! Sounds like a great tradeoff to me!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-03-2018, 12:36 PM
3 QBs to pay attention to during predraft workouts, underwear Olympics, and senior bowl/shrine game.

Mike White, QB, Western KY Hilltoppers, 6'4" 225lbs, 65.7 comp%, 7.46 yards/attempt, 4177Yards, 26TDs, 8INTs, 6Rushing TDs, 44Sacks

Logan Woodside, QB, Toledo Rockets, 6'2" 210lbs, 64.2comp%, 9.45yards/attempt, 3882Yards, 22TDs, 8INTs, 1RushingTD, 22Sacks

Jeremiah Briscoe, QB, SamHouston, 6'3" 225lbs, 57.9comp%, 8.6yards/attempt, 5003yards, 45TDs, 16INTs, 3RushingTDs, 15Sacks

Senior Bowl is the place to watch TE prospects too..................Fumagali from Wisc, Gisecki from Penn St. Goedart from South Dakota.

Mojouw
01-03-2018, 01:29 PM
What about Stidham if he comes out?

Iron Steeler
01-03-2018, 01:50 PM
How about that Wyoming kid?

teegre
01-03-2018, 10:48 PM
I think Rosen, Darnold(if he comes out), Allen will go in the 1st round and somebody will be enamored with Mayfield in the 1st(I sure hope not the Steelers). The wildcard to me is Lamar Jackson. He has a nice base when he gets his feet under him for passing and has a real strong arm. Athleticism is amazing as well all know, but if scouts see that he has what it takes to operate in the pocket and use his athleticism to find WR's down the field like Russell Wilson, rather than run like Mike Vick....he can be a game changer at QB.

Otherwise, maybe wait until the bottom of the 2nd for a guy like Luke Falk and I think he projects to be more of a Kirk Cousins type guy in a couple years. Good arm strength and accuracy, but needs work on progressions and the pre snap reads.

As I mentioned in another (“replace BB with QB”) thread...

Josh Rosen is my #1 guy. Everyone else is at least one tier lower.

Darnold & Allen will go top ten, and that is fine, because I’m sort of meh on them.

Lamar Jackson really intrigues me. Considering that Tomlin liked both Prescott and Watson, I’d bet that Tomlin is also keen on Jackson.

Luke Falk at 64 is a good value. He has flaws, but his completion percentages are above 70%.

At 96, I’d take a run at Kyle Lauletta.

cubanstogie
01-03-2018, 11:04 PM
I think Rudolph fits Steelers. Just like Ben and Wentz. Big, big arm, and mobile for big guy. It would be a gamble but most times it is drafting a QB. If Roquan Smith, or Minkah Fitzpatrick available pick them over QB and sign Tyrod Taylor for a couple of years. With Steelers talent he could be good. Doesn't throw pics or force stuff, a lot cheaper than other free agents. I doubt Dobbs is ready, and Landry is a backup. Or starter for the Browns.

BlackAndGold
01-03-2018, 11:55 PM
Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield will all go top 15.

Don't see them drafting a QB, especially if Ben returns.

Shoes
01-04-2018, 06:01 AM
Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield will all go top 15.

Don't see them drafting a QB, especially if Ben returns.

I think they will wait until 2019.

DesertSteel
01-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Who knows what they think of Dobbs after having him in-house for a year. They may think they have their guy.

Steeldude
01-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Please don't waste a pick on a reach that late in the first. BPA.

LB, TE, CB or S.

teegre
01-04-2018, 06:46 PM
Please don't waste a pick on a reach that late in the first. BPA.

LB, TE, CB or S.

What if the BPA just so happens to be a QB?

Maybe not the next Ben, but a guy worthy of he 32nd pick/a guy who can lead the offense pretty good (like Derek Carr)...

(btw: Dan Marino went 27th; so, sometimes you can indeed get a franchise QB at the end of the first round.)

Born2Steel
01-04-2018, 07:06 PM
I am a complete BPA guy for 1st round picks. To my thinking, that is where you get your playmakers and build the team's foundation. However, when there is a NEED at the QB position, that trumps everything else. You MUST have a QB to win championships. We have Ben for hopefully another 2-3 years, but I understand that's an outside shot. I do not like the idea of continuing with Landry Jones as our starter, nor do I like the odds of Dobbs becoming the next franchise guy. This is why I believe the QB position has become a position of need. We simply MUST take a QB in round 1 or 2 this draft. I think that had Mahomes dropped to us last draft, Watt would be a Patriot. There is still a hundred miles to go before I can start narrowing down any form of mock draft picks or wish list for myself. There are other positions I do want to see addressed this offseason, in the draft, and FA. QB is the main priority, IMO.

teegre
01-04-2018, 07:09 PM
I am a complete BPA guy for 1st round picks. To my thinking, that is where you get your playmakers and build the team's foundation. However, when there is a NEED at the QB position, that trumps everything else. You MUST have a QB to win championships. We have Ben for hopefully another 2-3 years, but I understand that's an outside shot. I do not like the idea of continuing with Landry Jones as our starter, nor do I like the odds of Dobbs becoming the next franchise guy. This is why I believe the QB position has become a position of need. We simply MUST take a QB in round 1 or 2 this draft. I think that had Watson dropped to us last draft, Watt would be a Patriot. There is still a hundred miles to go before I can start narrowing down any form of mock draft picks or wish list for myself. There are other positions I do want to see addressed this offseason, in the draft, and FA. QB is the main priority, IMO.

:nod: One edit.

Born2Steel
01-04-2018, 07:17 PM
You know, there were only 3 QBs taken in the 1st round last year. This year's QB crop could dominate the first 2 rounds. It is very possible to get a QB AND a stud Safety/ILB/OLB/TE. May even find the next Jamal Charles/Darren Sproles.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-04-2018, 07:21 PM
I am a complete BPA guy for 1st round picks. To my thinking, that is where you get your playmakers and build the team's foundation. However, when there is a NEED at the QB position, that trumps everything else. You MUST have a QB to win championships. We have Ben for hopefully another 2-3 years, but I understand that's an outside shot. I do not like the idea of continuing with Landry Jones as our starter, nor do I like the odds of Dobbs becoming the next franchise guy. This is why I believe the QB position has become a position of need. We simply MUST take a QB in round 1 or 2 this draft. I think that had Mahomes dropped to us last draft, Watt would be a Patriot. There is still a hundred miles to go before I can start narrowing down any form of mock draft picks or wish list for myself. There are other positions I do want to see addressed this offseason, in the draft, and FA. QB is the main priority, IMO. Just think in a Alternative Universe we passed on Watt for a QB and the Pats drafted Him. We would still have Harrison and there would be no 16 page post. We would have a 30 page post how we passed on Watt though. Kinda It's a Wonderful Life thing.

Shoes
01-05-2018, 01:24 PM
I think they will wait until 2019.

I'll say it again.

I think they will wait until 2019 :chuckle:

DesertSteel
01-05-2018, 01:35 PM
I think that Ben playing every game and his OL keeping him pretty clean will inspire him to play next year.

tube517
01-05-2018, 01:37 PM
I think that Ben playing every game and his OL keeping him pretty clean and the possibility of Haley gone plus the rise of JujuBee will inspire him to play next year .

Fixed. :chuckle:

Mojouw
01-06-2018, 01:54 PM
Here is my new weird take. Wait a year. If 6+ guys go in round 1-2 in 2018 like some predict, the path to a QB is clearer in 2019 perhaps, as less teams will be open to using a pick after spending one in the previous draft.

Clealry ive got to much time on my hands....

Shoes
01-06-2018, 01:56 PM
Here is my new weird take. Wait a year. If 6+ guys go in round 1-2 in 2018 like some predict, the path to a QB is clearer in 2019 perhaps, as less teams will be open to using a pick after spending one in the previous draft.

Clealry ive got to much time on my hands....

Agreed & I would go as far as 2020 if Ben continues on.

GoSlash27
01-06-2018, 03:01 PM
If I have to pick between a so-so QB prospect in the first round or a Josey Jewell, I'm going with Josey. With all these offensive weapons on the field, we can get by with Jones until a better opportunity comes along.

Born2Steel
01-06-2018, 11:22 PM
I honestly do not think Ben plays for another 2 seasons. If we win #7 this season, I believe Ben will hang up his cleats. If not, best case is we get 1 more season. All of you jumping onto the Landry Jones wagon have lost your minds. At the same time we cannot put all of our eggs in the Josh Dobbs basket either. We MUST draft a QB if we plan/want to keep pace with what we are capable of this season. Even if we were to work out a deal with Cousins, we would still need a QB for the future. Cousins is Andy Dalton without the playoff opportunities.

cubanstogie
01-06-2018, 11:34 PM
Mayfield has too much Johnny Manziel in him for me. He is a winner, but Landry was a winner in college as well.A qb in the nfl is going to have adversity, I don’t see him handling it well. Granted I’m on west coast but I’ve never heard his coaches vouch for him like they did for deshaun or Lamar Jackson.

86WARD
01-07-2018, 02:33 PM
Being a winner holds no merit. Whenever that “attribute” is used, it means their skills are average at best and there’s nothing else to pump them up with. Jones, Manziel, Young, Tebow, Barkley, Leinart, etc...all “winners” in college. Great...all losers in the NFL and in some cases, life.

DesertSteel
01-07-2018, 08:00 PM
I honestly do not think Ben plays for another 2 seasons. If we win #7 this season, I believe Ben will hang up his cleats. If not, best case is we get 1 more season. All of you jumping onto the Landry Jones wagon have lost your minds. At the same time we cannot put all of our eggs in the Josh Dobbs basket either. We MUST draft a QB if we plan/want to keep pace with what we are capable of this season. Even if we were to work out a deal with Cousins, we would still need a QB for the future. Cousins is Andy Dalton without the playoff opportunities.
More than fans' wishes, the whole Landry thing is just trying to predict the organization if Ben retires at season's end. I can easily see them going to Jones in a one-year tryout, with a draft choice in the fold.