PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Fans Should Get Used To Idea Of Hines Ward’s Exclusion From Canton

polamalubeast
01-03-2018, 08:08 AM
The new year has arrived, and with it, a new list of finalists for the Hall of Fame. And once again, Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, an eternally popular figure in the region, did not make that list of 15 finalists. Steelers fans likely ought to brace for a repetitive future.

As we move ahead further and further into the future of the game, it is becoming increasingly obvious that, in little time, the numbers that Ward put up over the course of his career will pale in comparison to those who come after, and those who cast the votes for enshrinement will not particularly care about appeals to era and scheme.

Sure, Ward, with his career beginning in the late 1990s, didn’t always benefit from many of the rules under which the wide receivers play under in today’s game. And yes, for much of his career—roughly the first half, if not more—featured a Steelers offense that was still driven by large running backs—one of which, by the way, is in the Hall of Fame. You probably know who I’m talking about. If you don’t, you might as well leave.

As we sit here today, Ward’s career 12,083 receiving yards ranks 25th all-time in NFL history. Only about seven or eight of those ahead of him on the list are not yet eligible to get into the Hall of Fame, yet only six of the remainder have already gone in.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01/steelers-fans-get-used-idea-hines-wards-exclusion-canton/

EzraTank
01-03-2018, 09:40 AM
I'm on the fence with Ward. He was a warrior at heart but I'm not sure he was a Hall of Famer. I wish the HoF was harder (in all sports) to get into.

SteelerFanInStl
01-03-2018, 11:59 AM
I'm on the fence with Ward. He was a warrior at heart but I'm not sure he was a Hall of Famer. I wish the HoF was harder (in all sports) to get into.

I definitely agree with this. I still don't think that Terrell Davis belongs there. He had a great 3-4 seasons but IMO that was way too short to get him into the HOF.

FrancoLambert
01-03-2018, 12:47 PM

Halls of Fame have become Halls of Very Good.