PDA

View Full Version : Ben On Landry: ‘I Thought He Played A Great Game’

Shoes
01-02-2018, 07:35 PM
I thought so too. Not very easy to come off the bench in bad weather and do as well as he did.

Pittsburgh Steelers backup quarterback Landry Jones made his only start of the 2017 regular on Sunday against the Cleveland Browns and the former fourth-round draft out of Oklahoma played well in the team’s 28-24 win at Heinz Field as he completed 23 of his 27 total pass attempts in the contest for 239 yards with one touchdown and one interception. On Tuesday, Steelers starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was asked to rate his backups’ performance during his weekly interview on 93.7 The Fan and he gave Jones a nice review.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01/ben-landry-thought-played-great-game/

vasteeler
01-02-2018, 07:42 PM
I got into an argument with a fellow Steelers fan at work. He swaers Landry was terrible. I showed him his stats and still said he was terrible. :doh2:

Iron Steeler
01-02-2018, 07:43 PM
I mean it was against the Browns

Shoes
01-02-2018, 07:46 PM

Yes and they always seem to be close games even when Ben is QB.

vasteeler
01-02-2018, 08:09 PM

I may be mistaken but didn't they have the number 5 defense?

st33lersguy
01-02-2018, 08:30 PM
Against the Browns, everyone can beat the Browns and everyone that played them did

- - - Updated - - -

I may be mistaken but didn't they have the number 5 defense?

14th in total defense but 19th in pass defense and 31st in scoring defense

Iron Steeler
01-02-2018, 08:42 PM
I still think we should Draft a QB this year... but not sure at 32. :-)

vasteeler
01-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Against the Browns, everyone can beat the Browns and everyone that played them did

- - - Updated - - -

14th in total defense but 19th in pass defense and 31st in scoring defense

Thanks, don't know where I heard 5 from

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-03-2018, 12:49 AM
I got into an argument with a fellow Steelers fan at work. He swaers Landry was terrible. I showed him his stats and still said he was terrible. :doh2:

I bet 95% of Steeler fans also thought he was terrible, despite his 100.4 passer rating. Haters gonna hate.

Craic
01-03-2018, 02:22 AM
I think that has more to do with watching Ben all these years and then comparing other QBs to him in every facet of the game. Side by side, Landry will always look terrible compared to Ben because he's just not at the same level.

GoSlash27
01-03-2018, 03:56 AM
Craic,
That's true, but as I pointed out in another thread there's just not much to go on. Jones has only started 5 regular season games and has never started 2 in a row. He's only gotten the reps in practice a handful of times and has never had the opportunity to develop a rhythm. He might be really good or he might suck. He's done reasonably well when he's been in, but most of those games have been against the Browns.
I think most people are trying to evaluate him as an NFL starting QB based on what they've seen when he wasn't actually starting or wasn't in the NFL. Me... I'm not trying to evaluate him at all, 'cuz I recognize that I don't have enough info to form an opinion. I'll just leave that up to the coaching staff.

- - - Updated - - -

Craic,
That's true, but as I pointed out in another thread there's just not much to go on. Jones has only started 5 regular season games and has never started 2 in a row. He's only gotten the reps in practice a handful of times and has never had the opportunity to develop a rhythm. He might be really good or he might suck. He's done reasonably well when he's been in, but most of those games have been against the Browns.
I think most people are trying to evaluate him as an NFL starting QB based on what they've seen when he wasn't actually starting or wasn't in the NFL. Me... I'm not trying to evaluate him at all, 'cuz I recognize that I don't have enough info to form an opinion. I'll just leave that up to the coaching staff.

SteelerFanInStl
01-03-2018, 07:47 AM
I thought that he played well also, especially in the first half. He tried to force it in on the interception but it was also a great play by the DB. The whole offense mostly fell apart in the second half. I don't know if you can blame all that on Hubbard at center, but I certainly can't blame it on Jones. The offense just didn't do a whole lot in the second half.

polamalubeast
01-03-2018, 07:55 AM
I thought that he played well also, especially in the first half. He tried to force it in on the interception but it was also a great play by the DB. The whole offense mostly fell apart in the second half. I don't know if you can blame all that on Hubbard at center, but I certainly can't blame it on Jones. The offense just didn't do a whole lot in the second half.

Also the first snap by this offense in the second half was at 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, so it's not easy when you have had no action for almost 1 hour in real time, especially in the cold

And yes the fact that the steelers had not a true center was a big factor, it killed at least one drive ...

Thanks, don't know where I heard 5 from

Maybe it was against the run....The browns had a great run defense this year.

DesertSteel
01-03-2018, 09:18 AM
He is what he is -- a good backup. I'm glad we have him.

tube517
01-03-2018, 09:29 AM
What Ben really wanted to say about Landry: "I thought he played a great game.......despite Todd Haley" :chuckle:

Hawkman
01-03-2018, 11:29 AM
What Ben really wanted to say about Landry: "I thought he played a great game.......despite Todd Haley" :chuckle:

Just had to go there didn’t you.:toofunny:

Fire Goodell
01-03-2018, 10:04 PM
Jones did play a good game. I'm not a LJ fan, but I'll give credit where it's due

DesertSteel
01-04-2018, 10:23 AM
In all honesty I'm starting to think that if Ben pulls a last minute retirement that the team will roll with Landry Jones in 2018, with Dobbs as the plan B if he terribly falters.

Mojouw
01-04-2018, 12:44 PM
In all honesty I'm starting to think that if Ben pulls a last minute retirement that the team will roll with Landry Jones in 2018, with Dobbs as the plan B if he terribly falters.

Evidence that you may be on to something: https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-film-room-breakdown-analysis/2018/1/4/16843810/steelers-film-room-landry-jones-improvement-is-now-tangible-and-exciting-analysis-commentary

DesertSteel
01-04-2018, 01:19 PM
My predictions for a Landry season:

Completion 62%
TD 19
Int 13
Yards 3700
YPA 6.8
W-L 10-6

This is contingent on having the same weapons as the 2017 team.

tube517
01-04-2018, 02:39 PM

You may not be far off the mark. Bradshaw and Ben were the only 2 real QB top prospects ever picked. The rest were meh or who? picks.

GoSlash27
01-04-2018, 05:14 PM
I absolutely agree with this, and mentioned it in another thread. If Ben retires, the safe move is to put it in the hands of the guy who's least likely to screw it up. Jones has the most experience, knows the offense, and the other players are familiar with him.
If they draft the world's greatest QB this year, they wouldn't just throw him in cold as the starter. Likewise, if they bring in an experienced FA, he'll wind up being backup. All of this even if LJ ends up being a "meh" quarterback.

TL/DR: Landry Jones may not end up being "Mr. Right", but I'm pretty sure he's "Mr. right now".

- - - Updated - - -

I absolutely agree with this, and mentioned it in another thread. If Ben retires, the safe move is to put it in the hands of the guy who's least likely to screw it up. Jones has the most experience, knows the offense, and the other players are familiar with him.
If they draft the world's greatest QB this year, they wouldn't just throw him in cold as the starter. Likewise, if they bring in an experienced FA, he'll wind up being backup. All of this even if LJ ends up being a "meh" quarterback.

TL/DR: Landry Jones may not end up being "Mr. Right", but I'm pretty sure he's "Mr. right now".

GBMelBlount
01-04-2018, 05:28 PM
He is what he is -- a good backup. I'm glad we have him.

I have no problem if we upgrade, however, with his years of experience and knowing our scheme, I think he is a satisfactory backup.

DesertSteel
01-04-2018, 05:58 PM
Landry is probably better than 2-3 starting QBs in the league right now. With experience maybe he becomes better than 8-10 of them. That's probably his ceiling.

GBMelBlount
01-04-2018, 06:08 PM
Landry is probably better than 2-3 starting QBs in the league right now.

With experience maybe he becomes better than 8-10 (starting quarterbacks).

That's probably his ceiling.

Agreed.

With enough experience and tender training he could be a "top shelf" bottom third quarteback!

polamalubeast
01-04-2018, 06:12 PM
If it's Landry Jones our QB next year, our season is going to be over before it starts .... Do not be too confident about Landry Jones because of his 2 wins against the Browns since last year.

Fortunately I think Ben will be back next year.

DesertSteel
01-04-2018, 06:19 PM
Agreed.

With enough experience and tender training he could be a "top shelf" bottom third quarteback!
Which with this team's talents are enough to stay in the playoffs. I think he can be better than Flacco.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-04-2018, 06:41 PM
I was somewhat impressed with Landry and he seemed not to be rattle much while in the pocket for once. That said noway is he the starter next season. This team is built to win for the next couple years! I trust the Steelers Brass knows that and will do what it takes to get us a decent starter if Ben hangs it up.

GoSlash27
01-04-2018, 07:16 PM
Do not be too confident about Landry Jones because of his 2 wins against the Browns since last year.
Polamalubeast,
Oh, I'm not confident about Landry Jones. I'm also not lacking confidence in him. As I said before, I don't think we have enough info to make any broad conclusions about how he would perform as starter. Maybe he winds up decent, maybe he winds up sucking out loud. We will know when that happens, one way or the other.
In the meantime, I'm pretty sure he'll be starting next season if Ben hangs it up. He might not be the starter at the end of the season, but he'll be under center at the beginning. You simply don't bring in an untested QB cold and have them start a season unless there's clearly no alternative no matter how good you think that QB might be. That's a desperation move.

- - - Updated - - -

Do not be too confident about Landry Jones because of his 2 wins against the Browns since last year.
Polamalubeast,
Oh, I'm not confident about Landry Jones. I'm also not lacking confidence in him. As I said before, I don't think we have enough info to make any broad conclusions about how he would perform as starter. Maybe he winds up decent, maybe he winds up sucking out loud. We will know when that happens, one way or the other.
In the meantime, I'm pretty sure he'll be starting next season if Ben hangs it up. He might not be the starter at the end of the season, but he'll be under center at the beginning. You simply don't bring in an untested QB cold and have them start a season unless there's clearly no alternative no matter how good you think that QB might be. That's a desperation move.

cubanstogie
01-04-2018, 08:25 PM
My guess is Steelers would have been 8-8 , 9-7 tops with Landry this year. I don't see Landry leading game winning drives in 4 out of 5 games or whatever it was. He would fumble or throw pic, game over. Landry is good backup, thats it IMO. Not sure how much Tyrod would command salary wise, probably half what Cousins would cost but if he could lead Bills to playoffs he could lead Steelers to SB with the surrounding talent.

Mojouw
01-04-2018, 10:05 PM
If you could consistently get the Landry Jones that confidently threw the ball on time and into tight windows against Cleveland for like 8 million a season. Why would you sign Cousins for 30 million per year or Taylor for 18-22 million per year? Are those guys better and more proven? Sure but 2-3 times better?

That is my biggest problem with the FA QB route. It is going to take a massive amount of money for a team that will be facing cap issues. If Cousins were to cost the Steelers LEveon Bell, Bryant in a year, and a few other key guys in the top 25 on the roster is that enough of an upgrade over Jones or Dobbs to be worth it?

I can not believe I am saying this, but after this last game my answer is absolutely not.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-04-2018, 10:24 PM
If you could consistently get the Landry Jones that confidently threw the ball on time and into tight windows against Cleveland for like 8 million a season. Why would you sign Cousins for 30 million per year or Taylor for 18-22 million per year? Are those guys better and more proven? Sure but 2-3 times better?

That is my biggest problem with the FA QB route. It is going to take a massive amount of money for a team that will be facing cap issues. If Cousins were to cost the Steelers LEveon Bell, Bryant in a year, and a few other key guys in the top 25 on the roster is that enough of an upgrade over Jones or Dobbs to be worth it?

I can not believe I am saying this, but after this last game my answer is absolutely not. With the talent on this roster, yes we can win a few games with Landry no doubt IMO. Can we win a championship with him ? Not very likely but think we can with Cousins or Eli. If Ben does retire, I'll feel Eli will be who we target.

polamalubeast
01-05-2018, 07:34 AM
My guess is Steelers would have been 8-8 , 9-7 tops with Landry this year. I don't see Landry leading game winning drives in 4 out of 5 games or whatever it was. He would fumble or throw pic, game over. Landry is good backup, thats it IMO. Not sure how much Tyrod would command salary wise, probably half what Cousins would cost but if he could lead Bills to playoffs he could lead Steelers to SB with the surrounding talent.

No for Tyrod Taylor

First, the bills are not a good team, even if they are in the playoffs ... I mean they had a point differenciel of -57 this year!

Also for Taylor, he would not be a good fit for the steelers, since he holds the ball too long and take too many sacks because of it.

The steelers need a QB that can pass for 4000 yards(with 35-40 pass attempts per game) and be efficient with that and Taylor is not the answer for that ...Taylor would be wasting the talent of our offense

tube517
01-05-2018, 09:23 AM

Love or hate Landry, he seems to have a good rapport w/Bryant. :noidea:

Not just on this play but back in 2015 when Ben was injured

polamalubeast
01-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Buffalo Bills: Through 17 weeks, quarterback Tyrod Taylor took an average of 3.16 seconds to throw. This was the longest time among all 39 quarterbacks with at least 180 dropbacks this year. Taylor has now finished atop this statistic in each of the last three seasons (3.35 seconds in 2016 and 3.22 in 2015).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-32-nfl-observations-week-17?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cjaff

This is not a QB that I want!

cubanstogie
01-05-2018, 11:06 AM
Buffalo Bills: Through 17 weeks, quarterback Tyrod Taylor took an average of 3.16 seconds to throw. This was the longest time among all 39 quarterbacks with at least 180 dropbacks this year. Taylor has now finished atop this statistic in each of the last three seasons (3.35 seconds in 2016 and 3.22 in 2015).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-32-nfl-observations-week-17?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cjaff

This is not a QB that I want!
you want to talk stats, how about interceptions. Ben threw more in one game the Tyrod the whole year. Now in no way Im saying Tyrod over Ben. Not even saying Tyrod future of Steelers. If Ben moves on, Landry is not the guy I want running this team. Dobbs not ready and the Steelers pick at end of first. if they cant get a QB ready to step in and start from draft then FA is the other option if Landry is not named starter. We arent getting Garrapolo, not many choices. Hopefully Ben stays another year but I think he is done. My actual hope is Mason Rudolph is around at 32, but in the mean time I disagree with you about Tyrod, I really like his poise,accuracy and scrambling ability. Is he elite, no but still would be best QB in our division. A stat about taking too long to throw with a scrambling QB doesn't mean much to me.

polamalubeast
01-05-2018, 11:12 AM
you want to talk stats, how about interceptions. Ben threw more in one game the Tyrod the whole year. Now in no way Im saying Tyrod over Ben. Not even saying Tyrod future of Steelers. If Ben moves on, Landry is not the guy I want running this team. Dobbs not ready and the Steelers pick at end of first. if they cant get a QB ready to step in and start from draft then FA is the other option if Landry is not named starter. We arent getting Garrapolo, not many choices. Hopefully Ben stays another year but I think he is done. My actual hope is Mason Rudolph is around at 32, but in the mean time I disagree with you about Tyrod, I really like his poise,accuracy and scrambling ability. Is he elite, no but still would be best QB in our division. A stat about taking too long to throw with a scrambling QB doesn't mean much to me.

The steelers need a QB that can throw the ball 35-40 times per game and with Taylor, the steelers would need to change the system and he would be a horrible fit with the steelers.

The last thing we need is a QB that wastes the talent of our receivers.The Bills had been a bottom 3 passing team in yards in each year with Taylor since 2015.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2018, 11:36 AM
I disagree with you about Tyrod, I really like his poise,accuracy and scrambling ability. Is he elite, no but still would be best QB in our division. A stat about taking too long to throw with a scrambling QB doesn't mean much to me.

Currently, I would take Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, AJ McCarron as better QB's in the AFC North than Tyrod Taylor. They will dare to make a great throw, while Taylor is afraid to throw an INT and therefore hangs onto the football too long.

Even the Landry Jones INT that many will complain was an ill advised pass, was an NFL QB trying to fit the ball into a tight window. If anybody sees the all 22 shot on it, the window is there and its tight, but he just missed it by a split second.

Mojouw
01-05-2018, 12:10 PM
I think the discussion of FA Qbs - now spread across multiple threads - is missing a critical factor -- cap $$$.

I typically use http://www.spotrac.com to nerd out on this stuff. Using their "market value" tool we can start to generate some realistic cap #'s for all these guys.

Cousins - $26+ million per year! That is 3-4 million morethan Ben costs.
Taylor - $18+ million per year.

Landry Jones - about 2 million dollars.

The Steelers enter 2018 with just over $2 million in cap space. Ben's "dead cap" is $12 million out of a total $23 million cap hit. So him moving off moves that number up to $14 or so million. While I will confess that what happens to Ben's cap charges if he retires is quite mysterious to me, I figure he still has to get paid and I'll use the above as a baseline. Long story short, if you want to go after a FA QB, the team still needs to free up somewhere between 5-15 million bucks. And that doesn't account for Bell, any other FAs, and all the currently rostered extentsions and RFAs, plus a draft class.

Signing a FA QB would require taking a chainsaw to the roster. For that reason, I'm out.

Jones+Dobbs+Draft Pick.