PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mitchell: Steelers vs. Browns was 'Way too close'

Shoes
01-01-2018, 02:16 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Following the Steelers (http://pennlive.com/steelers)' four-point win against the Cleveland Browns, general manager Kevin Colbert told them what Mike Mitchell already knew.
"I thought Kev said it best. We're not just going to turn it on in two weeks," Mitchell said. "A team like that we got to bury."

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2017/12/mike_mitchell_browns_too_close.html

st33lersguy
01-01-2018, 02:23 PM
That's been a way too common theme this year

8 games have been decided by 6 points or fewer, of those 8 games, only 1 was against a team that made the playoffs

steelreserve
01-01-2018, 02:35 PM
What did he expect, half the team was backups. We gave up too many big plays for my liking, but that was likely due to it being a lazy and sloppy game in general. The whole game was basically a complete joke.

On the positive side, being able to score 28 points with Landry Jones running the offense is pretty encouraging. I would've thought if we win it'd have to be by a score of 6-3, or at most 10-7 or something.

Moose
01-01-2018, 02:49 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Following the Steelers (http://pennlive.com/steelers)' four-point win against the Cleveland Browns, general manager Kevin Colbert told them what Mike Mitchell already knew.
"I thought Kev said it best. We're not just going to turn it on in two weeks," Mitchell said. "A team like that we got to bury."

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2017/12/mike_mitchell_browns_too_close.html

Good GOD ! You mean to tell me that it took the LAST game for the F.O. to realize how many games that this team should have "BURIED" and didn't !!?? Maybe there should be a TV installed for them and force them to watch.

GoSlash27
01-01-2018, 02:52 PM
I would tend to agree. They clowned our defense pretty badly, and that wasn't because Cam Heyward had the day off. They were confused, dropping coverages, missing tackles...

AFA the offense goes, I'd say they did a pretty darn good job considering what they had to work with. Playing with a center who's not a center is just crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

I would tend to agree. They clowned our defense pretty badly, and that wasn't because Cam Heyward had the day off. They were confused, dropping coverages, missing tackles...

AFA the offense goes, I'd say they did a pretty darn good job considering what they had to work with. Playing with a center who's not a center is just crazy.

ALLD
01-01-2018, 02:52 PM
They were going after the sack record while trying to frame a win. They got lucky it was Cleveland and not any other team.

st33lersguy
01-01-2018, 03:15 PM
Good GOD ! You mean to tell me that it took the LAST game for the F.O. to realize how many games that this team should have "BURIED" and didn't !!?? Maybe there should be a TV installed for them and force them to watch.

Agreed, they've been doing that literally ALL YEAR and they didn't realize it until the final game

Born2Steel
01-01-2018, 03:20 PM
The offense would have steam-rolled over the Browns making Kizer have to throw to keep pace. This alone makes our defense much more efficient. No worries.

86WARD
01-01-2018, 04:22 PM
What did he expect, half the team was backups.

Not on defense...

lipps83
01-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Keith Butler for NFL Co-Commissioner.

Shoes
01-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Not on defense...

Correct, I think Cam was the only one who didn't play.

SteelerFanInStl
01-01-2018, 04:55 PM
Then you need to play better Mitchell.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-01-2018, 11:39 PM
Then you need to play better Mitchell.

Thank You!!

Was there not a couple long passes, one for TD and another down to the 1 yard line where Mitchell was showing up late (as usual) in coverage, after the big play had been made?? Big plays being made against the Steelers in the passing game and the Safety should be a key factor in limiting those, should he not? I cant wait until they upgrade him in the secondary. Been nothing but a loud talking mediocre player since he arrived.

Rotorhead
01-02-2018, 12:31 AM
Thank You!!

Was there not a couple long passes, one for TD and another down to the 1 yard line where Mitchell was showing up late (as usual) in coverage, after the big play had been made?? Big plays being made against the Steelers in the passing game and the Safety should be a key factor in limiting those, should he not? I cant wait until they upgrade him in the secondary. Been nothing but a loud talking mediocre player since he arrived.

This x100000000

There are a lot of FA safeties coming, please get one FO!

86WARD
01-02-2018, 05:28 AM
The first one wasn’t his fault. That was all Haden...

SteelerFanInStl
01-02-2018, 08:41 AM
The first one wasn’t his fault. That was all Haden...

I'm not so sure about that. You can see Haden motioning to Mitchell on that play as if Mitchell was supposed to have the over the top coverage. As was said above, Mitchell got there late like normal.

This game confirmed to me that we need to find a safety in the draft. One with coverage skills, not an in the box safety.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank You!!

Mitchell always seems to arrive late, leading to a completion every time. I'm ready for him to get replaced.

Iron Steeler
01-02-2018, 08:47 AM
Mitchell has dedinatley regresses a lot this year.. 2 years ago he was our biggest playmaker

Fire Goodell
01-02-2018, 11:17 AM
Not on defense...

True but minus Heyward is a big thing. Look what happened to our D in the past when we didn't have Aaron Smith, the defense basically fell apart.

Mojouw
01-02-2018, 11:20 AM
I'm not so sure about that. You can see Haden motioning to Mitchell on that play as if Mitchell was supposed to have the over the top coverage. As was said above, Mitchell got there late like normal.

This game confirmed to me that we need to find a safety in the draft. One with coverage skills, not an in the box safety.

- - - Updated - - -

Mitchell always seems to arrive late, leading to a completion every time. I'm ready for him to get replaced.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01/film-room-steelers-defense-falls-prey-mistakes/

This breakdown says it was Haden's fault and not Mitchell's. I don't know. But I do know that on any deep pass, the safety looks bad on TV. What we usually don't really know as fans is what the coaches think based on execution of assignments.

I figure we will find out on draft day.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-02-2018, 11:39 AM
Mitchell has dedinatley regresses a lot this year.. 2 years ago he was our biggest playmaker

Oh yeah, remember 2015 when the Steelers had the 30th ranked pass defense. Mitchell was the $hit that year....or at least he celebrated each play like he was. :yell:

SteelerFanInStl
01-02-2018, 01:13 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01/film-room-steelers-defense-falls-prey-mistakes/

This breakdown says it was Haden's fault and not Mitchell's. I don't know. But I do know that on any deep pass, the safety looks bad on TV. What we usually don't really know as fans is what the coaches think based on execution of assignments.

I figure we will find out on draft day.

No one else was running a pattern on that play, just like the play in the Pats game that Alex diagrammed. What I see is Mitchell being slow to diagnose and react. That's why he needs to be replaced.

I think that my two biggest wishes on draft day are going to be ILB and FS.

SteelerFanInStl
01-02-2018, 01:19 PM
True but minus Heyward is a big thing. Look what happened to our D in the past when we didn't have Aaron Smith, the defense basically fell apart.

Not in this game it wasn't. Alualu played a great game. His 8 tackles (6 solo) were more than Cam had in a game all year and he also had 2 sacks. Cam being out wasn't the reason that the D played so poorly.

Shoes
01-02-2018, 01:23 PM
Thank You!!

Yep!

Mojouw
01-02-2018, 01:26 PM
No one else was running a pattern on that play, just like the play in the Pats game that Alex diagrammed. What I see is Mitchell being slow to diagnose and react. That's why he needs to be replaced.

I think that my two biggest wishes on draft day are going to be ILB and FS.

I don't know. Mitchell can't just run to the corner of the field. He has to stay home in the middle of the field until Gordon breaks his route to the sideline.

FOr me the bigger question is who in the hell was Haden staying underneath to cover? Air? Grass? He just kind jogs it out and stops almost. Not a good look.

steel striker
01-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Bad game by the secondary