PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Averaging 30 Points Per Game Since Bye

polamalubeast
12-30-2017, 10:42 AM
The 2017 regular season began with quite a bit of justified hand-wringing over the lack of production on the offensive side of the ball. For a vaunted Pittsburgh Steelers that once boasted its ambitions of averaging 30 points per game, they failed to hit that mark even once in their first nine games.

Fortunately, things have improved since then, and in fact they have surpassed the 30-point threshold in four of the past six games. Coming off a 34-point showing, they have averaged 31.8 points per game in that span. Even including an ugly 20-point game, they have managed to average 30.1 points per game after averaging only 20.9 points per game prior to the bye week.

All of this has really helped to salvage their season—posting a 6-1 record since the bye—and has them on the verge of eclipsing the 400-point mark for the third time in the past four seasons. And they missed the mark by just one point a year ago.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12/steelers-averaging-30-points-per-game-since-bye/

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-30-2017, 12:30 PM
Lousy dink and dunk Haley offense.

Mojouw
12-30-2017, 01:21 PM
See what happens when they let Ben call the plays. Fire Haley.

polamalubeast
12-30-2017, 01:34 PM
Haley is still the weak point of our offense (and our team)

I mean, when it's second down and long, you have to trust Ben instead of running the ball with your backup RB!:frusty:

Hawkman
12-30-2017, 08:56 PM
Haley is still the weak point of our offense (and our team)

I mean, when it's second down and long, you have to trust Ben instead of running the ball with your backup RB!:frusty:

You’ve gotta be kidding right?

- - - Updated - - -

Would you like BA back? Ben was getting killed. We now have a fullback.......and he’s had two tds on really great designed plays. 1 yard rushing, 1 yard receiving 2 tds. :heh:

steelreserve
12-30-2017, 10:05 PM
Bell: head out of ass
Bryant: head out of ass
Juju: holy shit

It's no wonder the offense is doing better.

43Hitman
12-31-2017, 12:18 AM
Bell: head out of ass
Bryant: head out of ass
Juju: holy shit

It's no wonder the offense is doing better.
Also, Ben started trusting his receivers not named AB, and stopped aiming the ball.

hawaiiansteeler
12-31-2017, 12:37 AM
See what happens when they let Ben call the plays. Fire Haley.

Crash was right once again.

Oh wait...

tube517
12-31-2017, 06:59 AM

Edman
12-31-2017, 08:33 AM
When the Steelers Offense is good: It's because of Ben and the Receivers.

When the Steelers Offense fails: It's Haley's Fault and he needs to be fired.

Sounds about right.

Steeldude
12-31-2017, 08:38 AM
Hopefully that keeps clicking. With Shazier out the defense needs a safety cushion.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Ben started trusting his receivers not named AB, and stopped aiming the ball.

This

fansince'76
12-31-2017, 08:44 AM
When the Steelers Offense is good: It's because of Ben and the Receivers.

When the Steelers Offense fails: It's Haley's Fault and he needs to be fired.

Sounds about right.

Giving the ball to Frenchy on 2nd-and-23 was a masterstroke and definitely fooled the Pats...

polamalubeast
12-31-2017, 08:46 AM
Giving the ball to Frenchy on 2nd-and-23 was a masterstroke and definitely fooled the Pats...

It was my complaint in the post #4 in this thread....

fansince'76
12-31-2017, 08:48 AM
It was my complaint in the post #4 in this thread....

And then there was the cluster at the end of the game. Wish Ben had followed his instincts and spiked it after the idiotic pass to DHB (which also failed to get out of bounds, not to mention the "fake spike" à la Dan Marino, circa 1994 that didn't fool anybody either) and let Boz send it to OT.

Would you like BA back? Ben was getting killed. We now have a fullback.......and he’s had two tds on really great designed plays. 1 yard rushing, 1 yard receiving 2 tds. http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/smilies/heh.gif

Nobody's saying that either. Time to give Fichtner a shot. Ben has a better relationship with him anyway.

43Hitman
12-31-2017, 09:03 AM
And then there was the cluster at the end of the game. Wish Ben had followed his instincts and spiked it after the idiotic pass to DHB (which also failed to get out of bounds, not to mention the "fake spike" à la Dan Marino, circa 1994 that didn't fool anybody either) and let Boz send it to OT.

Nobody's saying that either. Time to give Fichtner a shot. Ben has a better relationship with him anyway.
Yep, I agree. If Ben stays he wants Fichtner as his OC.

polamalubeast
12-31-2017, 09:18 AM
Yep, I agree. If Ben stays he wants Fichtner as his OC.

But I would be nervous if our OC (Fichtner) is a rookie and without experience as playcaller.

It could be good, but it could be a disaster like Tom Clement with the packers in 2015.

teegre
12-31-2017, 10:21 AM
It is as simple as this... red-zone efficiency.

7 > 3

43Hitman
12-31-2017, 11:35 AM
But I would be nervous if our OC (Fichtner) is a rookie and without experience as playcaller.

It could be good, but it could be a disaster like Tom Clement with the packers in 2015.
I think with Ben at the helm it works, with LJ or JD it could be a Tom Clement situation. Ben just has so much control over the offense already I doubt we would see too much of a drop off in efficiency overall and probably get better in the red-zone to boot.

pczach
12-31-2017, 12:18 PM
I think Haley's offense is fine. The problem with Haley is sometimes the implementation of the offense through play calling, and how he handles people.

I don't know everything that goes on between these two, but there are clearly some football issues. They have cleaned some things up, but things have always gone decidedly better when Ben has more control.

For a long time, when the offensive calls came through the headset, they always seemed to get to the line a little late, and Ben had less time to assess the defense and make all the calls at the LOS, and the offense always seemed to be snapping the ball with 1 second left on the play clock. Some of that seems to have improved. I'm not sure about how things are being done and who is calling what.

What I do know is that the offense is playing better, Ben is playing better, and Haley has less contact with Ben.

I've always felt that Haley has a good football mind when it comes to designing plays. His weaknesses are dealing with people and sometimes play calling.

It appears that all the WR's not named AB have a much better grasp of the offense and all the adjustments that need to be made based on the defense. I believe that has been a huge difference for Ben and the offense in general.

As for the problems with communication at big moments in games like the end of the Patriots game, Tomlin needs to more clearly designate who does what. There are times when it appears the sideline gets in the way, and there are times when Ben probably makes some calls on his own that backfire.

The bottom line is that Haley's offense works. Ben has a great grasp of the offense. Even if Haley leaves, I would think they keep the offense if Ben continues playing.