PDA

View Full Version : If Belichick wants to play mental games; then so be it.

StillCurtains
12-27-2017, 12:31 PM
Hello Guys,

I know that many of us are pretty down about the fact that Harrison is now a Patriot. For me it's more about the fact that he is an all time great and I would have liked to have a better ending for he and the Steelers together. However I believe that there is more to the reasoning of his release than we are being led on to believe.

Some feel that he was mistreated, but I have reason to believe that it may not be true. Harrison was the best pass rusher on the team when it comes to ability. His ability was never in question. What is in question is his conditioning, durability, endurance and longevity. I recall several instances last year where Harrison was calling himself out of snaps due to being winded. Also the Steelers are known for giving veterans practices off as well as limiting their practices.

This treatment has been the norm for Harrison and he was also given a very light camp. He also was reported to have a back injury this year due to lifting. This is a 39 year old player that has already had back surgery. He re-signed with the team knowing his playing time would be diminished contrary to what some may believe. It may have been less than he expected, but when teams are running misdirection plays, screens and passes in the flat to backs to attack our defense, it's a bigger mismatch to have Harrison in there.

You can't give a guy snaps in that situation for honorary reasons and risk losing games. In the limited snaps he had against Baltimore he was not setting the edge and Collins was running right by him. Collins hurt the whole defense but It was glaring while running past Harrison.The media came out during the Baltimore game stating Harrison's displeasure about his playing time. He stated he would not have signed had he known he would not be playing and would not return next year.

This was all after Bryant's debacle of going to the media about a trade to Tomlin's displeasure. Tomlin then made it known to the team to keep their issues in house and come to the team instead of airing things to the media. Harrison violated that. He then puts out a weight lifting session video AT the Steelers fascility and looks into the camera saying "they're keeping THIS on the sideline!" You're showing up the coaches at their own fascility.

Tomlin said at his presser that he would keep disclosed the conversations that he and Harrison had. He then said that anyone would be welcome to re-join the team had they had interest in coming back. Why release a guy just to welcome him back? This leads me to believe Harrison was ASKED to be released. Tomlin already knew that New England jumped to grab Blount after releasing him 2 years ago. Does anyone believe that Tomlin didn't know they would do the same with Harrison?

You can argue that he could have traded a disgruntled Bryant. The truth is New England would have found a way to get their hands on him. Tomlin knew that. At this point in their careers, who is more likely to hurt the Steelers as a member of the Patriots Bryant or Harrison? When you look at some of the reactions of his signing by Mitchell, Gay, Dupree, AB, JuJu and others, it leads me to believe that something has been going on more than we know.

In a season full of distractions, I have a hard time believing that Tomlin would create another to this team with just 2 games remaining in the season, by releasing a fan favorite and all time great without good reason. Just think about it. Now I have been hearing all the talking heads today saying how the genius Bill Belichick did this to keep a mental edge on the Steelers.

Many of them are laughing saying how they own the Steelers already and this move shows how they continually own them by getting in their heads mentally. They are laughing and saying how Harrison will win the Superbowl with New England. They are saying how they will once again stick it to the Steelers if they meet in the AFCCG.

In my opinion, if Belichick wants to play the mental game with the Steelers so be it. This is the same organization that preaches the Patriot Way "One game at a time" mantra. The so called next opponent. To me, making this signing to gain a mental edge against the Steelers shows weakness. I believe that it shows a sign of fear.

When you look at how the first meeting this season unfolded, Belichick is letting the Steelers know who he feels is their main threat to dethrone them. Despite what Belichick, the Patriots or the media might say, this moves shows that the Steelers are every bit as much in the Patriots' heads as they are the Steelers' so GAME ON!

DesertSteel
12-27-2017, 01:41 PM
It all washes out when the bullets start flying. One thing that's laughable is someone posting that Belichick signed Harrison "just to get inside the Steeler fans' minds." Lol

Psycho Ward 86
12-27-2017, 04:11 PM
It all washes out when the bullets start flying. One thing that's laughable is someone posting that Belichick signed Harrison "just to get inside the Steeler fans' minds." Lol

Yeah. At best thats only a small part of the equation. Patriots pass rush hasnt been getting it done even when healthy. Harrison very well could be the best pass rusher on the team the day he stepped foot in Gilette Stadium

pczach
12-27-2017, 08:12 PM
Hello Guys,

I know that many of us are pretty down about the fact that Harrison is now a Patriot. For me it's more about the fact that he is an all time great and I would have liked to have a better ending for he and the Steelers together. However I believe that there is more to the reasoning of his release than we are being led on to believe.

Some feel that he was mistreated, but I have reason to believe that it may not be true. Harrison was the best pass rusher on the team when it comes to ability. His ability was never in question. What is in question is his conditioning, durability, endurance and longevity. I recall several instances last year where Harrison was calling himself out of snaps due to being winded. Also the Steelers are known for giving veterans practices off as well as limiting their practices.

This treatment has been the norm for Harrison and he was also given a very light camp. He also was reported to have a back injury this year due to lifting. This is a 39 year old player that has already had back surgery. He re-signed with the team knowing his playing time would be diminished contrary to what some may believe. It may have been less than he expected, but when teams are running misdirection plays, screens and passes in the flat to backs to attack our defense, it's a bigger mismatch to have Harrison in there.

You can't give a guy snaps in that situation for honorary reasons and risk losing games. In the limited snaps he had against Baltimore he was not setting the edge and Collins was running right by him. Collins hurt the whole defense but It was glaring while running past Harrison.The media came out during the Baltimore game stating Harrison's displeasure about his playing time. He stated he would not have signed had he known he would not be playing and would not return next year.

This was all after Bryant's debacle of going to the media about a trade to Tomlin's displeasure. Tomlin then made it known to the team to keep their issues in house and come to the team instead of airing things to the media. Harrison violated that. He then puts out a weight lifting session video AT the Steelers fascility and looks into the camera saying "they're keeping THIS on the sideline!" You're showing up the coaches at their own fascility.

Tomlin said at his presser that he would keep disclosed the conversations that he and Harrison had. He then said that anyone would be welcome to re-join the team had they had interest in coming back. Why release a guy just to welcome him back? This leads me to believe Harrison was ASKED to be released. Tomlin already knew that New England jumped to grab Blount after releasing him 2 years ago. Does anyone believe that Tomlin didn't know they would do the same with Harrison?

You can argue that he could have traded a disgruntled Bryant. The truth is New England would have found a way to get their hands on him. Tomlin knew that. At this point in their careers, who is more likely to hurt the Steelers as a member of the Patriots Bryant or Harrison? When you look at some of the reactions of his signing by Mitchell, Gay, Dupree, AB, JuJu and others, it leads me to believe that something has been going on more than we know.

In a season full of distractions, I have a hard time believing that Tomlin would create another to this team with just 2 games remaining in the season, by releasing a fan favorite and all time great without good reason. Just think about it. Now I have been hearing all the talking heads today saying how the genius Bill Belichick did this to keep a mental edge on the Steelers.

Many of them are laughing saying how they own the Steelers already and this move shows how they continually own them by getting in their heads mentally. They are laughing and saying how Harrison will win the Superbowl with New England. They are saying how they will once again stick it to the Steelers if they meet in the AFCCG.

In my opinion, if Belichick wants to play the mental game with the Steelers so be it. This is the same organization that preaches the Patriot Way "One game at a time" mantra. The so called next opponent. To me, making this signing to gain a mental edge against the Steelers shows weakness. I believe that it shows a sign of fear.

When you look at how the first meeting this season unfolded, Belichick is letting the Steelers know who he feels is their main threat to dethrone them. Despite what Belichick, the Patriots or the media might say, this moves shows that the Steelers are every bit as much in the Patriots' heads as they are the Steelers' so GAME ON!

That's a well thought out and well reasoned assessment of what happened. I don't have any first hand knowledge, but James made it very clear publicly that he wasn't happy. I also have the feeling that Harrison forced this move and then went to the team that he thought could best stick it to the Steelers....Just like he did when they didn't want to overpay for him, didn't re-sign him, and he went to the Bengals. He failed miserably.

There is a history of James trying to stick it to the organization that took him in and gave him a chance to be a star and a multi-millionaire when he was cut so many times early in his career.

I love James as a player and for what he has done here, but he now seems more interested in making videos of him lifting than he does conditioning himself and preparing to have the stamina to play for extended periods of time and work on flexibility, quickness, speed, and cardio. He's nearly 40, and he seems more interested in the legend of Badass James Harrison in the weight room than he is about adjusting his game to maximize his ability to play in the changing role of OLB in Butler's scheme.

Many don't want to see it, but James just got old and he didn't want to change the way he played the game. For him to think that he deserved to play over TJ Watt is laughable. Watt plays in coverage a lot, and was even covering Jordy Nelson and making deep drops to get in passing lanes and force difficult throws over him. James Harrison is not capable of doing that at this point, and frankly, I don't think he tried to prepare himself to do that.

It will be interesting to see how Belichick uses him and how he performs. Belichick does have a way of putting players in a position to do what they do best. We'll see what happens.

GBMelBlount
12-27-2017, 08:18 PM
Or Bryant was kept because he is cheap and has a lot of upside and

Harrison was released because he is of little value and also perhaps a cancer.

I am curious how people view Tomlin for these decisions?

Or will we wait to see the outcome of this season?

cubanstogie
12-27-2017, 08:26 PM
Or Bryant was kept because he is cheap and has a lot of upside and

Harrison was released because he is of little value and also perhaps a cancer.

I am curious how people view Tomlin for these decisions?

Or will we wait to see the outcome of this season?
I have read prior posts where some thought Tomlin out coached for letting Harrison go to Cheaters. I now love it knowing what we heard for Steelers players. The guy was not a team player, no leadership and he was never around. good for tomlin for cutting the cord and making room for another guy who might contribute. It was not a head to head battle with Belicheat, Tomlin based his decision on whats best for team. Thats why I said yesterday take name and number off jersey and its no brainer, adios. Im not that sentimental, I am Steelers fan more than James Harrison fan and the guy was as useful as tits on a bull this year.

GBMelBlount
12-27-2017, 08:36 PM
I have read prior posts where some thought Tomlin out coached for letting Harrison go to Cheaters. I now love it knowing what we heard for Steelers players. The guy was not a team player, no leadership and he was never around. good for tomlin for cutting the cord and making room for another guy who might contribute.

It was not a head to head battle with Belicheat, Tomlin based his decision on whats best for team.

Thats why I said yesterday take name and number off jersey and its no brainer, adios. Im not that sentimental, I am Steelers fan more than James Harrison fan and the guy was as useful as tits on a bull this year.

I largely agree.

Also, did Tomlin take the high road by allowing Harrison by giving Harrison his wish to be signed by another team and have an opportunity to play?

IF we beat NE will this be viewed as Tomlin being a first rate class act defeating POS Belicheat?

Fire Goodell
12-27-2017, 10:29 PM
It's too bad he didn't stay, now he loses out on getting another ring. Maybe we should give his # to chickillo lol

Rotorhead
12-28-2017, 10:22 AM
He actually doubles his chances on getting a ring. The only issue I have is the Steelers were the ones that talked him out of retirement, he was happy to be retired. I would be pissed too. As for signing with the Cheats, why wouldn't he, he still wanted to play and they are offering the opportunity. I can't hate him for that. I do think there was a place for him here, and opportunity for him to play, closing out games when we needed a big pass rush was the spot, but we didnt use him that way. I think the team should shut up about it though, no need to fuel the fire, focus on this weeks game and move on.

DesertSteel
12-28-2017, 11:23 AM
What makes you think he was happy to be retired? His actions speak loudly that he's trying to squeeze every last ounce of football glory he can.

FrancoLambert
12-28-2017, 01:00 PM
Screw the mind games....the Steelers aren't weak in that department.

I'm more worried about the underhanded bullshit they pull....headsets out.....fire alarms going off at 3AM.

Rotorhead
12-28-2017, 01:59 PM
What makes you think he was happy to be retired? His actions speak loudly that he's trying to squeeze every last ounce of football glory he can.

Well he said he was happy to be retired when he originally retired, he was happy to be spending to the time with his family, etc etc. When he un-retired he made the commitment to put in the work to get his body back as good as he could so he could effectively play (and he did when he led the team in sacks last year). I imagine with all the work and money he spent to get his body back into football form and keep it that way (he spends $100k+ on everything to keep his body as good as he can) he wants to play. What player, who puts in the work doesn't want to play? And of course he wants to squeeze every bit of glory out of his time, he put in his time and training, etc. I play paintball, and I practice every week with my team mates. We have a rotation during tournaments and it kills me when I have to sit out for my games. I put in the time, the effort, the $$ and I want to play as much as I can. Granted they are not the same thing as I don't get paid to play, but the competitive spirit is there. I want the be in there making the difference.

DesertSteel
12-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Well he said he was happy to be retired when he originally retired, he was happy to be spending to the time with his family, etc etc. When he un-retired he made the commitment to put in the work to get his body back as good as he could so he could effectively play (and he did when he led the team in sacks last year). I imagine with all the work and money he spent to get his body back into football form and keep it that way (he spends $100k+ on everything to keep his body as good as he can) he wants to play. What player, who puts in the work doesn't want to play? And of course he wants to squeeze every bit of glory out of his time, he put in his time and training, etc. I play paintball, and I practice every week with my team mates. We have a rotation during tournaments and it kills me when I have to sit out for my games. I put in the time, the effort, the $$ and I want to play as much as I can. Granted they are not the same thing as I don't get paid to play, but the competitive spirit is there. I want the be in there making the difference.
I understand the competitive spirit. If there's a single guy on any NFL roster who doesn't want to play, he needs to walk away. The difference is how a 39-year-old "man" handled it when he was no longer the best option. There was still value to add and he childishly and selfishly refused -- to the point of being a detriment. If it were me, I would have suspended him for conduct detrimental to the team and not granted his demands based on his behavior. Either way, he is a non-factor.

GoSlash27
01-01-2018, 10:24 AM
I bear no ill will toward Deebo. The man wanted to play football and we wouldn't field him. Life goes on...

As far as all this noise about "mind games", I think this team has demonstrated that they are impervious to such things. They've been dealing with distractions and drama all year long, and none of it has ever interfered with how they prepare and play. If Belichick did make this move just to screw with the Steelers, he wasted his time.
Now... I don't actually believe that to be the case. NE's linebacker play has been bad all year, and Deebo can contribute for them. That's enough reason in and of itself to take him on, especially at such a rock- bottom price. If Belichick was expecting juicy insider information, he's likely very disappointed. Deebo tuned out a long time ago.

I'm with FrancoLambert. This Deebo drama doesn't concern me. What concerns me is playing in Foxboro. They cheat and pull really dirty, underhanded stunts up there to tip the game in their favor.

BostonBlackie
01-01-2018, 11:09 AM
Alarmgate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-T9S0V3W4I

Headsetgate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Nuwrqr3fQ&list=PLgMCJr9JoSfogCIvBSMma-oTnfsMlq3wy&index=7

Patriot71
01-01-2018, 12:36 PM
Belichick signed him because he thinks he makes the Patriots better for the SB run. Very simple.

hawaiiansteeler
01-01-2018, 12:55 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/18/81/7a/18817a28f668fa6e6dc44797bfa3d9f9.jpg

BostonBlackie
01-01-2018, 02:57 PM
Ha ha , I like this.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/18/81/7a/18817a28f668fa6e6dc44797bfa3d9f9.jpg