PDA

View Full Version : Steelers MVP very well could be cornerback Joe Haden

stillers4me
12-26-2017, 08:46 AM
Welcome back, Joe Haden.

There was plenty to like Sunday about the Steelers’ overwhelming performance against the Houston Texans, a 34-6 win that secured at least the No. 2 seed and a first-round bye in the AFC playoffs. The return of Haden after a five-game absence because of a fractured fibula was at the top of the list.

“Merry Christmas!” Ben Roethlisberger gushed afterward.

“Man, it’s awesome to watch him play.”.........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2017/12/26/Ron-Cook-Steelers-MVP-very-well-could-be-cornerback-Joe-Haden-Ryan-Shazier-Houston-Texans-DeAndre-Hopkins-Mike-Tomlin/stories/201712260063

Edman
12-26-2017, 09:24 AM
An Ex-Clown ends up being the Steelers Team MVP. Just goes to show how good Joe Haden really is.

DesertSteel
12-26-2017, 09:52 AM
Browns give away a Pro Bowl cornerback. Just shows the continued ineptitude of that organization. I could see why Rosen has said he may stay in school with the Browns at #1.

- - - Updated - - -

All things considered... from a purely football perspective, if we had to be without either Shazier or Haden, I think Haden is the bigger loss on the field. Essentially we are only down one guy headed into the playoffs. That's better than most playoff teams. Continued prayers for Shazier and also hope that we can stay healthy against the Clownies.

polamalubeast
12-26-2017, 06:43 PM

Craic
12-27-2017, 02:23 AM
All things considered... from a purely football perspective, if we had to be without either Shazier or Haden, I think Haden is the bigger loss on the field. Essentially we are only down one guy headed into the playoffs. That's better than most playoff teams. Continued prayers for Shazier and also hope that we can stay healthy against the Clownies.
This post feels weird to me, like it's still too soon for that kind of assessment (even though you clearly stayed within the bounds of good taste and caring sentiment). That being said, you're absolutely right. The question is, is that reflective of the position itself, or does it have to do with the difference in skill levels between the players and their backups?

DesertSteel
12-27-2017, 01:48 PM
This post feels weird to me, like it's still too soon for that kind of assessment (even though you clearly stayed within the bounds of good taste and caring sentiment). That being said, you're absolutely right. The question is, is that reflective of the position itself, or does it have to do with the difference in skill levels between the players and their backups?
"Weird" is a weird assessment of my post. :)

IMO a shut-down corner allows this defense to do more against New England than a speedy MLB. Those two and Cam were stars of the defense this year, so it's not ideal being without either. I just can't figure out any way that we could mask the absence of Haden, but I see a little more hope at MLB.

st33lersguy
12-27-2017, 04:09 PM
AB is team mvp and I think they made the right choice

DesertSteel
12-27-2017, 04:25 PM
I don't think the OP was suggesting that Haden would win the official honor.

Craic
12-28-2017, 01:00 AM
"Weird" is a weird assessment of my post. :)

IMO a shut-down corner allows this defense to do more against New England than a speedy MLB. Those two and Cam were stars of the defense this year, so it's not ideal being without either. I just can't figure out any way that we could mask the absence of Haden, but I see a little more hope at MLB.
:chuckle: Yeah, I had no real way of expressing myself there that made sense. I knew you weren't being uncaring or crass or cold or anything like that. But, it just didn't sit right with me, even though there was absolutely nothing wrong with the post.

As for the for the rest of it, so, you're thinking it's more a factor of the position itself as the CB playing at Haden's level can affect the game more than a LB playing at the equivalent skill level? I think I'd have to agree. I might go so far as to say that Shazier's individual skills are greater than Haden's, but the effect on the game, due to the position, favors Haden.

DesertSteel
12-28-2017, 11:40 AM
:chuckle: Yeah, I had no real way of expressing myself there that made sense. I knew you weren't being uncaring or crass or cold or anything like that. But, it just didn't sit right with me, even though there was absolutely nothing wrong with the post.

As for the for the rest of it, so, you're thinking it's more a factor of the position itself as the CB playing at Haden's level can affect the game more than a LB playing at the equivalent skill level? I think I'd have to agree. I might go so far as to say that Shazier's individual skills are greater than Haden's, but the effect on the game, due to the position, favors Haden.
I think Shazier had more splash play factor but a game without hearing Haden's name is sweeter music to my ears! :)

polamalubeast
12-28-2017, 05:07 PM

Shoes
12-28-2017, 09:18 PM
I'm just so happy for Haden, one can only imagine how he must feel after being released from Browns hell.

43Hitman
12-29-2017, 04:14 AM

That was a good article. You can tell that Gordon wants out of there too.