PDA

View Full Version : Seeding

DesertSteel
12-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Being the #1 seed was the stated goal of the Steelers during the off-season and all season long. It's a long shot at this point.

But..........

Let's look at the FACTS:

The last 4 times the Steelers had the #1 seed (2004, 2001, 1994, 1992) they did not even make it to the Super Bowl. The last 4 times they went to the Super Bowl (2-2) they were NOT the #1 seed.

Patriots don't look like an unbeatable team no matter where the game is played.

SteelMayhem72
12-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Just means if we play them in foxbourough they will mess with head sets, fire alarms, etc guaranteed

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

AtlantaDan
12-19-2017, 11:38 AM
Being the #1 seed was the stated goal of the Steelers during the off-season and all season long. It's a long shot at this point.

But..........

Let's look at the FACTS:

The last 4 times the Steelers had the #1 seed (2004, 2001, 1994, 1992) they did not even make it to the Super Bowl. The last 4 times they went to the Super Bowl (2-2) they were NOT the #1 seed.

Patriots don't look like an unbeatable team no matter where the game is played.

Agreed no team this season is a candidate to show up on one of those "Top 10 Teams Of All Time" shows cranked out by NFL Films

Pats lower margin for error this year compared to their prior Super Bowl winners indicated by 3 wins that were impacted by favorable replay rulings from Alberto Riveron

NFL rulings on touchdowns aided three Patriots wins this season

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/12/18/alberto-riveron-nfl-senior-vice-president-of-officiating-patriots-calls-jesse-james/stories/201712180138

FWIW I do not regard the P-G writers as shameless homers for the Steelers but this latest loss has touched a nerve for a lot of people

steelreserve
12-19-2017, 12:08 PM
I find it dubious that having the #1 seed is somehow a disadvantage over the #2 seed. It's just a number and there is no weird hex attached to it. However, there are real benefits such as not having to travel, not having your shit messed with, disabling a large percentage of the Patriots' cheat functions and so forth. The last one is ESPECIALLY important against the Patriots.

I also fail to see how what happened in games ranging from 13 to 25 years ago has any bearing on this season. There aren't even any of the same players from 2004 except for the two quarterbacks and James Harrison. The only other constant is that in 2004 our opponents were cheating and they're probably still cheating now, and being at home makes that much easier.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-19-2017, 12:29 PM
The past events have no bearing on what will happen in the future. Any given Sunday (or Saturday, Monday, Thursday) when players put their hand down in the turf and the game is played, anything can happen. All this anguish over seeding, being home or away, is just some doom and gloom fans looking to be downers.

Look at the road to SBXL is all you need to know. Its how the game is played that is much more important than where the game is played.

st33lersguy
12-19-2017, 01:38 PM
The last 4 years, there is one top seed that hasn't made the Super Bowl the past 4 years, and that's last year's Cowboys. Home team is also undefeated in conference championships the last 4 years

AtlantaDan
12-19-2017, 01:57 PM
The last 4 years, there is one top seed that hasn't made the Super Bowl the past 4 years, and that's last year's Cowboys. Home team is also undefeated in conference championships the last 4 years

As is stated in the prospectus boilerplate, past performance is no guarantee of future results - but reversion to the mean would indicate that is an anomaly that might be due to change

Since home field advantage counted in the post-merger playoffs, 24 of the NFC’s top seeds have reached the Super Bowl. The 2016 New England Patriots are just the 23rd top seeded AFC team to reach the Super Bowl but only eight were crowned world champions.

Here is a look at the year-by-year summary of how the top seeded teams in the AFC and NFC fared since 1975.

http://www.profootballhof.com/news/top-seeds/

DesertSteel
12-19-2017, 03:03 PM
The past events have no bearing on what will happen in the future. Any given Sunday (or Saturday, Monday, Thursday) when players put their hand down in the turf and the game is played, anything can happen. All this anguish over seeding, being home or away, is just some doom and gloom fans looking to be downers.

Look at the road to SBXL is all you need to know. Its how the game is played that is much more important than where the game is played.

While I agree to a point... You must concede that it was the Steelers who made the #1 seed their goal, not the fans. They must have felt strongly that it would be an advantage coming out of the loss in NE last year in the AFCCG.

That said, I think that the adversity that was created by the ending will be used as motivation. This is one of Tomlin's greatest strength's. If we'd won Sunday, I'm not sure that NE wouldn't have come in and destroyed them in January because of a false sense of accomplishment. If we play in NE, I give the Steelers a great chance. Slight edge to Coach/QB and TE for NE, but across the board the Steelers are better and I think enough so to make up for the slight edge.

- - - Updated - - -

There have also be truly dominant teams in those years. This year not so much.

Born2Steel
12-19-2017, 05:18 PM
The playoff teams are ALL in position to win. We know what the Ravens can be when motivated. We have seemed to have the Chiefs number, but that team is loaded with talent. The Jags are maybe the trickiest being their defense is SO tough. I think we would dominate their run game if we met again. The Bills or Titans don't really scare much, but any given Sunday and such. Then there are the Patsies, the team we seem to lose to even when we beat them.

Now look at IF we made the superbowl. Who would we match up the best against there? The Vikings again? The Saints? The Rams? The Eagles? Looking like the NFC South may get 3 teams in, so Falcons or Panthers?

IMO, this year's championship is going to be hard earned.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-19-2017, 06:01 PM
While I agree to a point... You must concede that it was the Steelers who made the #1 seed their goal, not the fans. .

If you don't have goals, you will never reach them. Its basic in achievement of success. I don't fault the team for having goals, I just don't think fans should be such whiners when the Steelers are something the 2nd winningest team in the past decade and they might have the #2 seed. Be happy we have a team in good position to win it all if they can get healthy and stay healthy

DesertSteel
12-19-2017, 06:27 PM
If you don't have goals, you will never reach them. Its basic in achievement of success. I don't fault the team for having goals, I just don't think fans should be such whiners when the Steelers are something the 2nd winningest team in the past decade and they might have the #2 seed. Be happy we have a team in good position to win it all if they can get healthy and stay healthy
I told my 12-year-old son before the game, "I don't care if we lose as long as we come out healthy." AB ruined that LOL... but it sounds like he's back for the playoffs. Plus the #1 seed isn't over just yet...

86WARD
12-20-2017, 11:13 AM
The playoff teams are ALL in position to win. We know what the Ravens can be when motivated. We have seemed to have the Chiefs number, but that team is loaded with talent. The Jags are maybe the trickiest being their defense is SO tough. I think we would dominate their run game if we met again. The Bills or Titans don't really scare much, but any given Sunday and such. Then there are the Patsies, the team we seem to lose to even when we beat them.

Now look at IF we made the superbowl. Who would we match up the best against there? The Vikings again? The Saints? The Rams? The Eagles? Looking like the NFC South may get 3 teams in, so Falcons or Panthers?

IMO, this year's championship is going to be hard earned.

Curious to hear what makes you think that the Steelers would dominate the Jags run game...

polamalubeast
12-26-2017, 07:17 PM
Of course I was very disappointed with our defeat against the pats, but at least there is hope, since the steelers have for once been competitive against the pats and Haden was not there and Antonio Brown has not played in the last 3 quarters ....

What I wanted before the season was to have a playoffs bye, since you just need to win 2 games to play in the super bowl with a minimum of 1 game on the road ...

When you have to win 3 games and 2 or 3 of that on the road it's harder, so I'm happy with our regular season ...

Psycho Ward 86
12-26-2017, 07:22 PM
From what ive seen in playoff scenarios, i like how the games are likely going to be setting up for us and the Patriots:

Jaguars are locked in at the #3 seed, Chiefs are locked in at the #4 seed. Patriots and Steelers are virtually all but locked in at #1 and #2 respectively. Based on the playoff clinching scenarios, it seems extremely unlikely that the current teams that would make it in (the Titans and Ravens) will be booted out.

-The Titans will clinch a playoff spot by beating the Jaguars (who have absolutely nothing to gain by winning so they'll rest their starters), so I expect them to win
-The Ravens clinch a playoff spot by beating a Bengals team that quit a long time ago. The Ravens are also at home so you can book this one too.

Titans @ Jaguars and Ravens @ Chiefs for the 1st round of the playoffs. I think the Titans will get slaughtered and their higher seeding will dictate that they are going to be our first opponent in the playoffs. Whoever wins the Ravens/Chiefs bout will be a good opponent for the Patriots, as both teams are notorious for giving them trouble.

That means a revenge game against the Jaguars that im sure Ben wants back followed by the Patriots. Im good with that

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/26/nfl-playoff-clinching-scenarios-week-17

polamalubeast
12-26-2017, 07:27 PM
From what ive seen in playoff scenarios, i like how the games are likely going to be setting up for us and the Patriots:

Jaguars are locked in at the #3 seed, Chiefs are locked in at the #4 seed. Patriots and Steelers are virtually all but locked in at #1 and #2 respectively. Based on the playoff clinching scenarios, it seems extremely unlikely that the current teams that would make it in (the Titans and Ravens) will be booted out.

-The Titans will clinch a playoff spot by beating the Jaguars (who have absolutely nothing to gain by winning so they'll rest their starters), so I expect them to win
-The Ravens clinch a playoff spot by beating a Bengals team that quit a long time ago. The Ravens are also at home so you can book this one too.

Titans @ Jaguars and Ravens @ Chiefs for the 1st round of the playoffs. I think the Titans will get slaughtered and their higher seeding will dictate that they are going to be our first opponent in the playoffs. Whoever wins the Ravens/Chiefs bout will be a good opponent for the Patriots, as both teams are notorious for giving them trouble.

That means a revenge game against the Jaguars that im sure Ben wants back followed by the Patriots. Im good with that

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/26/nfl-playoff-clinching-scenarios-week-17

And I would not be surprised if the jaguars intentionally lose the game against the titans, since the titans are very bad at the moment and the chargers would be more dangerous for the jaguars ....

I know the titans won 37-16 in week 2 against the jaguars, but it was in week 2 and a lot of things have changed since ....

The Steelers need to get ready for the jaguars now!

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-26-2017, 07:53 PM
Bring on the Jags and think we can beat them fairly easy this time. Bortles is starting to revolt back to Bortles as well.

DesertSteel
12-26-2017, 07:57 PM
Bring on the Jags and think we can beat them fairly easy this time. Bortles is starting to revolt back to Bortles as well.
Jags and Bortles don't worry me. Ben ain't throwing 5 picks again.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd rather play the Jags than the Ravens again. I'd also like to see the Ravens go to NE.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-26-2017, 08:03 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I'd rather play the Jags than the Ravens again. I'd also like to see the Ravens go to NE. Yep agree on all accounts. Wouldn't also mind seeing KC play the Pats either and think Hunt and Kelce will give that D fits again.

Lady Steel
12-26-2017, 11:40 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I'd rather play the Jags than the Ravens again. I'd also like to see the Ravens go to NE.

I agree. :crossed:

teegre
12-27-2017, 08:14 AM
What is interesting is that the Titans & Jaguars play this weekend... and will more than likely play again the following weekend (although, at different fields).

So, yep... I expect the Jaguars to take a “bye” by resting their starters. Also, I expect a very vanilla defense from the Jaguars, because they’ll save their stunts & blitzes for the following week. (The Jaguars offense is already vanilla.)

As far as seeding goes, not having to play the Jaguars (until the AFCCG) is why I would love to get the #1 seed.

Born2Steel
12-27-2017, 08:32 AM
What is interesting is that the Titans & Jaguars play this weekend... and will more than likely play again the following weekend (although, at different fields).

So, yep... I expect the Jaguars to take a “bye” by resting their starters. Also, I expect a very vanilla defense from the Jaguars, because they’ll save their stunts & blitzes for the following week. (The Jaguars offense is already vanilla.)

As far as seeding goes, not having to play the Jaguars (until the AFCCG) is why I would love to get the #1 seed.

I'm not completely comfortable playing the Jags, Ravens, or Chargers in the playoffs. The Titans, Chiefs, Bills, and Pats don't worry me.

Rotorhead
12-27-2017, 11:00 AM
Well, if the Ravens play the Cheats, they will beat them up, so that is good. If KC plays the Cheats, they match up well against them, so that is good also. I think we can play the Jags much better this time around, so I am not so worried about them. The only thing that worries me about them is us honestly, us coming out flat after a bye and starting out slow. If we can avoid that we will be fine.

86WARD
12-27-2017, 12:05 PM
The Jags have the three seed locked up or could the Chiefs take that with a win and a Jag loss?

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-27-2017, 12:58 PM

Bortles was Bortles the last time the Steelers played the Jags. It was the 231 Yds rushing that the Steelers gave up to the Jags offense that was pitiful.

Psycho Ward 86
12-27-2017, 01:14 PM
The Jags have the three seed locked up or could the Chiefs take that with a win and a Jag loss?

The Jags and Chiefs have #3 and #4 locked up respectively. That can't be changed in the final week of the regular season. The only possible changes are in the 5 and 6 seeds

teegre
12-27-2017, 03:37 PM
Bortles was Bortles the last time the Steelers played the Jags. It was the 231 Yds rushing that the Steelers gave up to the Jags offense that was pitiful.

Very true.

But, Ben also gave them 5 INTs and two TDs. I’d bet my mortgage that Ben plays significantly better this time around.

polamalubeast
12-27-2017, 03:41 PM
You never know before the game how Bortles will play since he was playing his best football of the year(maybe of his career) in the 3 games before the game against the 49ers, but the game against the 49ers was a disaster for him.

Psycho Ward 86
12-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Very true.

But, Ben also gave them 5 INTs and two TDs. I’d bet my mortgage that Ben plays significantly better this time around.

Bell finally in stride, no Conner to mess up blocking assignments, Bryant finally showing signs of life, and Juju becoming a legitimate #2 since then

Hawkman
12-27-2017, 08:02 PM
Bell finally in stride, no Conner to mess up blocking assignments, Bryant finally showing signs of life, and Juju becoming a legitimate #2 since then

.......and possibly McDonald on the field.

DesertSteel
12-28-2017, 11:01 AM
.......and possibly McDonald on the field.
Keep him on ice for Foxboro lol

EzraTank
12-28-2017, 01:15 PM
It's simple, we need the Jets to turn into the 1985 Bears this Sunday!

DesertSteel
12-28-2017, 10:33 PM
It's simple, we need the Jets to turn into the 1985 Bears this Sunday!
Or sign Bernard Pollard.