PDA

View Full Version : Time to move on to Houston

Rotorhead
12-19-2017, 10:22 AM
The only thing I really hope is this isnt a let down game following the game against the Pats. We still have a shot for the #1 seed and at least need to lock up the #2.

We will be without AB, so Juju gets more targets and MB should be ready to step up and make some plays, Rogers seems to be getting back into the groove so I don't think we need to worry about the offense drop off.

Can we please start rotating in JH for snaps this week? For no other reason to shake the rust and be really ready to play if we need him due to injury. I am hoping we can run a solid rotation on the DL also, get these guys some rest without sitting them out.

Is there any word on Matakevich's injury? Will Haden get to play yet? What about Gilbert?

AtlantaDan
12-19-2017, 10:29 AM
The only thing I really hope is this isnt a let down game following the game against the Pats. We still have a shot for the #1 seed and at least need to lock up the #2.

We will be without AB, so Juju gets more targets and MB should be ready to step up and make some plays, Rogers seems to be getting back into the groove so I don't think we need to worry about the offense drop off.

Can we please start rotating in JH for snaps this week? For no other reason to shake the rust and be really ready to play if we need him due to injury. I am hoping we can run a solid rotation on the DL also, get these guys some rest without sitting them out.

Is there any word on Matakevich's injury? Will Haden get to play yet? What about Gilbert?

With AB down I look for the offense to return to the emphasis on the run we saw midseason from the KC through Indy games when Bell was getting between 25 -35 carries a game - not my preference for getting Bell primed for the playoffs but job 1 is getting the bye

Mark Kaboly appears to agree

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-19-2017, 10:33 AM

Is there any word on Matakevich's injury? Will Haden get to play yet? What about Gilbert? I'm all for JH getting more time and needs to happen soon. Spence though needs to see less time as possible.

Mojouw
12-19-2017, 11:01 AM
I'm all for JH getting more time and needs to happen soon. Spence though needs to see less time as possible.

While I agree with you and Rotorhead on this, I have been converted! I don't see it happening. If there was no room for JH on that last Pats drive where they were in all out pass rush mode, then this defensive staff has no intention of playing him barring catastrophic injury.

Right or wrong, there has clearly been a philosophical switch on what they want their OLBs to be able to do and they feel that Harrison can not provide that. We stand as good a chance of seeing Harrison as we do McCullers.

steel striker
12-19-2017, 11:03 AM
Yeah time to move on and, yes they should have played Harrison as well.

AtlantaDan
12-19-2017, 11:16 AM

tube517
12-19-2017, 11:20 AM
I've lost track of roster moves w/suspensions and the addtiion of Spence and IR for Shazier and now Conner.

M. Gilbert is now active and off suspension. Sutton's been off IR and took M. Gilbert's "place".

Should we (can we?) pick up D Will or promote Nightmare from the PS?

Mojouw
12-19-2017, 11:27 AM
I've lost track of roster moves w/suspensions and the addtiion of Spence and IR for Shazier and now Conner.

M. Gilbert is now active and off suspension. Sutton's been off IR and took M. Gilbert's "place".

Should we (can we?) pick up D Will or promote Nightmare from the PS?

The have asked for and been granted a roster exemption for Gilbert until game-day this week. So they can pick-up a back by moving Conner to IR.

By Sunday morning they will need to make a roster move to activate Gilbert.

tube517
12-19-2017, 11:29 AM
The have asked for and been granted a roster exemption for Gilbert until game-day this week. So they can pick-up a back by moving Conner to IR.

By Sunday morning they will need to make a roster move to activate Gilbert.

Thanks for clarifying.

12-19-2017, 11:32 AM

Should we (can we?) pick up D Will or promote Nightmare from the PS? I said in another post all for getting DW back and can't understand what happen to Watson ? He was on the active roster for part of the season and now he is gone and sh!tty French is here.

- - - Updated - - -

While I agree with you and Rotorhead on this, I have been converted! I don't see it happening. If there was no room for JH on that last Pats drive where they were in all out pass rush mode, then this defensive staff has no intention of playing him barring catastrophic injury.

Right or wrong, there has clearly been a philosophical switch on what they want their OLBs to be able to do and they feel that Harrison can not provide that. We stand as good a chance of seeing Harrison as we do McCullers. Yea I have no faith we will see JH now and another head scratchier even with limited snaps ?

Mojouw
12-19-2017, 11:53 AM
I said in another post all for getting DW back and can't understand what happen to Watson ? He was on the active roster for part of the season and now he is gone and sh!tty French is here.

Watson is on the PS. Frenchy is here because he can pass protect. Watson and Conner suck at it. It is that simple. Or optimistically, Conner sucked at it so bad that they called up French Cafe to play 3rd down back a bit and weren't going to get Conner through to the PS so they rolled the dice on Watson. Best case scenario, Watson is actually good at pass protecting and was the likelier player to clear waivers. Anyone want to bet me on that being true?

DesertSteel
12-19-2017, 12:02 PM
I'd love to see D Will back. That guy gave his heart to Pittsburgh and he still has a little left in the tank.

He'd be a better pickup than Sean Spence!

Fire Goodell
12-19-2017, 12:06 PM
Honestly I have a feeling that last week's loss didn't demoralize this team, but pissed them off. I wouldn't be surprised if we came out and dominated the Texans from the start. The team KNOWS how close they are to a championship and won't let any team sneak up on them.

12-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Watson is on the PS. Frenchy is here because he can pass protect. Watson and Conner suck at it. It is that simple. Or optimistically, Conner sucked at it so bad that they called up French Cafe to play 3rd down back a bit and weren't going to get Conner through to the PS so they rolled the dice on Watson. Best case scenario, Watson is actually good at pass protecting and was the likelier player to clear waivers. Anyone want to bet me on that being true? I just wanted to know the reason why Watson got bumped to the practice squad and French got promoted to the active rooster, Watson is the better runner but thanks for clarifying it was blocking issues. Watson must have sux blocking in practice cause he hardly got a chance to try it on the field during a game. Anyways thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly I have a feeling that last week's loss didn't demoralize this team, but pissed them off. I wouldn't be surprised if we came out and dominated the Texans from the start. The team KNOWS how close they are to a championship and won't let any team sneak up on them. I can see this.

lipps83
12-19-2017, 12:55 PM
I'd love to see D Will back. That guy gave his heart to Pittsburgh and he still has a little left in the tank.

He'd be a better pickup than Sean Spence!

Would love to see this as well. Wasn't he leading the league in rushing last year until Bell came back? Once Bell was back he disappeared, but I don't think it was because of DWill's lack of talent.

I think for sure he still has it and would be a top option, which is exactly why Pitt probably won't pick him up.

teegre
12-19-2017, 10:08 PM
With AB down I look for the offense to return to the emphasis on the run we saw midseason from the KC through Indy games when Bell was getting between 25 -35 carries a game - not my preference for getting Bell primed for the playoffs but job 1 is getting the bye

Mark Kaboly appears to agree

Hubbard has been great. The 6-linemen package is amazing (suck it, Crash).

This would have been the PERFECT week to run Conner a dozen times. Alas...

hawaiiansteeler
12-23-2017, 01:13 AM
What to watch for in Steelers-Texans

By Marc Sessler
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Dec. 22, 2017

What says Christmas more than T.J. Yates in a Texans uniform?

Many things, to be fair, but he's the gift you're getting on Monday as part of a nationally televised NFL double-header for you to observe while downing Aunt Regina's Bundt cake and pounding day-old eggnog.

In both Christmas tilts, a team from Pennsylvania is being asked to handle their own business against inferior competition en route to January's playoff party.

Here's what we'll be watching for:

Pittsburgh Steelers (11-3) at Houston Texans (4-10); 4:30 p.m. ET

1. The Steelers own the AFC North crown, but Pittsburgh's final seeding in the conference remains up in the air. The Steelers could wind up with the No. 1 spot or without a bye at all if they fall to the Texans or Browns over the next two weeks. Logic says they'll win out against a pair of damaged, floating opponents, but the loss of MVP candidate Antonio Brown -- sidelined with a partially torn calf -- reduces what this offense can do. After Brown was injured against the Patriots last Sunday, Ben Roethlisberger's yards per attempt fell from 10.2 to 8.6, while his passer rating plummeted 32.7 points. Half of Big Ben's 138 yards post-Brown came on one winding, 69-yard catch-and-run by JuJu Smith-Schuster. In the four games Brown has missed since 2012, the typically explosive Steelers have averaged 14.0 points per game. Whether it's Smith-Schuster and Martavis Bryant stepping up or Le'Veon Bell playing the role of a do-everything hero, Pittsburgh must find a way to keep flying on this side of the ball.

2. The Texans are fresh off an ugly 45-7 loss to the Jaguars that saw Yates complete just 38.7 percent of his throws, the lowest figure for any signal-caller throwing 30-plus passes since Nick Foles in 2015. It's hard not to wonder what this Texans team could have accomplished in the AFC had dazzling rookie passer Deshaun Watson stayed healthy. Without him, this foundering attack has scored 20-plus points just once since Week 9. On a weekly basis, though, star wideout DeAndre Hopkins reminds us why he's a top-three player at his position, piling up numbers and generating highlight-reel catches no matter what ham-and-egger the Texans shove under center. Pittsburgh's primary goal is keep Hopkins from turning this into a game.

3. It's not the same as losing Brown, but James Conner's season-ending knee injury puts Pittsburgh's backfield in a tough spot. Stevan Ridley and Fitzgerald Toussaint are the last men standing behind Bell, the dictionary definition of a workhorse who's on pace for more touches (442) than any back since DeMarco Murray (449) with the Cowboys in 2014. This level of volume is largely unheard of in the NFL. Prior to Murray, the last two runners to record 410-plus touches in a season were Larry Johnson and Steven Jackson way back in 2006. The question is how you keep Bell fresh when Pittsburgh could still play up to five more games if it reaches the Super Bowl.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000896181/article/what-to-watch-for-in-steelerstexans-raiderseagles

teegre
12-23-2017, 08:03 AM
The Steelers do not need to do anything fancy. Just make sure that the secondary double-covers (brackets) DeAndre Hopkins. Boom!!!... win.

DesertSteel
12-23-2017, 09:15 AM
The Steelers do not need to do anything fancy. Just make sure that the secondary double-covers (brackets) DeAndre Hopkins. Boom!!!... win.
Joe Haden and anybody