PDA

View Full Version : SI: Game of the Week: Steelers-Titans

stillers4me
09-18-2010, 12:16 PM
ColdHardFootballFacts.com (http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/) breaks down Sunday's Pittsburgh at Tennessee game (1 p.m., CBS).
Three Things You Should Care About

1. Pittsburgh QB Dennis Dixon had a high standard to live up to in Week 1 ... and he did it. No. 1 QB Ben Roethlisberger, currently serving a league-mandated four-game suspension, has been widely misunderstood by the pigskin pundits. Even many Pittsburgh fans consider him the proverbial "game manager" who has benefited from a top defense and a commitment to the run on offense.
The truth is Roethlisberger is one of the most effective passers in the history of the game ... if you know which stats to study. The single most important stat in football, and maybe in all of North American sports, is passing yards per attempt. Roethlisberger boasts an incredible 8.01 YPA in his career. How good is that? It's No. 5 on the all-time list. (No. 1 Otto Graham averaged 8.62 YPA during his six-year NFL career; no coincidence his Browns played for the NFL title all six years.)

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/kerry_byrne/09/17/game.of.week/index.html?xid=si_nfl#ixzz0zu0diEXw

polamalubeast
09-18-2010, 12:32 PM
ColdHardFootballFacts.com (http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/) breaks down Sunday's Pittsburgh at Tennessee game (1 p.m., CBS).
Three Things You Should Care About

1. Pittsburgh QB Dennis Dixon had a high standard to live up to in Week 1 ... and he did it. No. 1 QB Ben Roethlisberger, currently serving a league-mandated four-game suspension, has been widely misunderstood by the pigskin pundits. Even many Pittsburgh fans consider him the proverbial "game manager" who has benefited from a top defense and a commitment to the run on offense.
The truth is Roethlisberger is one of the most effective passers in the history of the game ... if you know which stats to study. The single most important stat in football, and maybe in all of North American sports, is passing yards per attempt. Roethlisberger boasts an incredible 8.01 YPA in his career. How good is that? It's No. 5 on the all-time list. (No. 1 Otto Graham averaged 8.62 YPA during his six-year NFL career; no coincidence his Browns played for the NFL title all six years.)

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/kerry_byrne/09/17/game.of.week/index.html?xid=si_nfl#ixzz0zu0diEXw

Roethlisberger has always been incredible for average yards per pass attempt!

It's really one of its finest quality ..... one of the reasons for the stats is that it is great for improvising.

It is really not a game manager.

He is someone that likes to take risks and often his pay, especially in big games .... the pass has Santonio against the Ravens(playoffs) in 2008, is the best example to show how Ben Roethlisberger is incredible to improvise play!

And since his arrival with the steelers, he had 3 WR in the steelers who led the league in average yards per catch.

Burress in 2004, Holmes in 2007 and Wallace in 2009.

Ben is great to get big play!

Shoes
09-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Good read.......

On picking the game....

I think the only talking heads that picked Pittsburgh to win was Johnson and Schefter. That's good, makes the win that much more enjoyable!

SteelerEmpire
09-18-2010, 12:41 PM
He's got the Titans scoring 24 points on us ? LOL....

solardave
09-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Low score I predict the Steelers-16 and the Titans-10 Johnson is held under 100 yards. Our only TD on defense caused by INT.
That's my story.

Crow-Magnon
09-18-2010, 03:05 PM
This game will be IMO a truer test on how Dixon and the Ben-less Steelers play compared to the Falcons game. Even if Pittsburgh loses, they still have a great chance to be at least 2-2 by the time Roethlisberger gets back in action. I can't see Tampa Bay getting a W next week.

Galax Steeler
09-19-2010, 08:18 AM
I wish Ben was here for this one can't wait to get him back.

GBMelBlount
09-19-2010, 08:35 AM
But so far, so good. Dixon was extraordinarily effective in Pittsburgh's 15-9 Week 1 win over Atlanta.

He did throw one interception, but he completed 18 of 26 passes for 236 yards.

Those are very efficient numbers: a 69.2 completion percentage, and a Roethlisberger-esque 9.08 yards per attempt in just his second NFL start.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/kerry_byrne/09/17/game.of.week/index.html?xid=si_nfl#ixzz0zyxGPmm2

It wasn't always pretty but Dixon did get it done.

Dixon, and the offensive line, need to step it up a notch this week.....ESPECIALLY on third downs!

Let's go Steelers!!!!!

HometownGal
09-19-2010, 08:40 AM
I wish I could be as positive as the rest of you about this game. It's not that I don't believe in our Steelers - I DO - and if we had Ben behind center, I'd feel a LOT better about it, but I just have a bad feeling that today, we are going to come up short. Sorry and I :pray: with everything inside me that I'm wrong!

steelpride12
09-19-2010, 09:55 AM
I have a great feeling about the game today! Our defense is the key to winning this game and shutting down the run attack of CJ and VY because without that the Titans don't have much to pull out the W.

SMR
09-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Low score I predict the Steelers-16 and the Titans-10 Johnson is held under 100 yards. Our only TD on defense caused by INT.
That's my story.

Not far off; impressive.

SMR
09-19-2010, 06:18 PM
This game will be IMO a truer test on how Dixon and the Ben-less Steelers play compared to the Falcons game. Even if Pittsburgh loses, they still have a great chance to be at least 2-2 by the time Roethlisberger gets back in action. I can't see Tampa Bay getting a W next week.

Hope yer right. Wonder how Dixon will be healing up for next week???