PDA

View Full Version : With 2 games to go...

Born2Steel
12-18-2017, 09:35 AM
There has been talk on the forum about guys needing rest. There is still an outside shot at getting the #1 overall seed, and home field throughout. Is it worth the risk to rest key players and let the chips fall where they may? OR do we continue full throttle into the playoffs, damn the torpedoes?

Food for thought.
AB needs to rest and heal
JuJu still has a tweaked hammy
Bell is our only 'real' RB left
Defensive starters are looking gassed
Haden needs to come back healthy
Mitchell needs to be healthy
Harrison could use a full game or 2 with full reps to get up to game speed
And so on....

Not talking about tanking, just playing more backups for these last 2 games.
We are already locked into a first round home game. We will probably win out anyway and still get a first round bye anyway.
Any thoughts on this???

DesertSteel
12-18-2017, 09:43 AM
They have to go all out. The Jags are nipping at their heels. You can't rest guys and risk losing a bye.

Rotorhead
12-18-2017, 09:49 AM
Until we lock up at least the #2 seed we need to play 100%. We need that bye to rest up and heal up IMO. Also there is the outside chance of the #1 seed still.

Hawkman
12-18-2017, 09:50 AM
They can rest at the bye.

DesertSteel
12-18-2017, 09:53 AM
Until we lock up at least the #2 seed we need to play 100%. We need that bye to rest up and heal up IMO. Also there is the outside chance of the #1 seed still.
Perfect scenario would be to have the Jags lose next week and we beat the Texans to clinch the #2. However, we'd still be in contention for the #1 seed if the Pats lost against the Jets.

One thing I know about the AFC east teams: they suck... But, they know how to hit Tommy.

AtlantaDan
12-18-2017, 09:55 AM
There has been talk on the forum about guys needing rest. There is still an outside shot at getting the #1 overall seed, and home field throughout. Is it worth the risk to rest key players and let the chips fall where they may? OR do we continue full throttle into the playoffs, damn the torpedoes?

Food for thought.
AB needs to rest and heal
JuJu still has a tweaked hammy
Bell is our only 'real' RB left
Defensive starters are looking gassed
Haden needs to come back healthy
Mitchell needs to be healthy
Harrison could use a full game or 2 with full reps to get up to game speed
And so on....

Not talking about tanking, just playing more backups for these last 2 games.
We are already locked into a first round home game. We will probably win out anyway and still get a first round bye anyway.
Any thoughts on this???

It would be nice if the 49ers somehow beat Jax next Sunday and the Steelers knew that going into the Christmas Day game winning one of the last two would lock up a bye

But until the bye is locked up the Steelers have no option but to play all out to win and hopefully not play January 6 or 7

FWIW the ESPN playoff machine looks like this

Pats get #1 seed if they beat Bills and Jets in Foxboro - highly likely

Steelers get #2 seed if they win out

Jags get #2 seed if they win out on the road against 49ers and Titans while Steelers lose once - even if Jags lose twice they apparently get #3 seed unless Titans beat not just Jags but Rams as well

Ravens might end up with the #5 wildcard seed, which would be good since I would want no part of a first weekend matchup with the Ravens if the Steelers fell to the #3 seed

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Born2Steel
12-18-2017, 10:42 AM
My thought is the Jags WILL win out. I don't like the 49ers nor the Titans in those games. Stranger things have happened, but if I had to bet on it, I would bet the Jags.

Steelers can beat the Texans and the Browns with backups. Even with backups, I would bet on the Steelers. That said, beat the Texans and then rest guys.

The Patriots are not a good team. They could lose either or both of their remaining games and I would not be surprised. I would also bet Gronk will not play the last game against the Bills. Being at home, I would not bet against the Pats, but it would not surprise me to see them lose one or both of these.

Thus, why this is such an intriguing question for me. The window is still open for all possibilities. Just don't want our young guys to run out of gas before the finish line.

DesertSteel
12-18-2017, 10:49 AM
My thought is the Jags WILL win out. I don't like the 49ers nor the Titans in those games. Stranger things have happened, but if I had to bet on it, I would bet the Jags.

Steelers can beat the Texans and the Browns with backups. Even with backups, I would bet on the Steelers. That said, beat the Texans and then rest guys.

The Patriots are not a good team. They could lose either or both of their remaining games and I would not be surprised. I would also bet Gronk will not play the last game against the Bills. Being at home, I would not bet against the Pats, but it would not surprise me to see them lose one or both of these.

Thus, why this is such an intriguing question for me. The window is still open for all possibilities. Just don't want our young guys to run out of gas before the finish line.
Bills game is this Sunday not the last week. Clinching a bye is the best way to get the guys rest IMO.

86WARD
12-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Rather keep them in game shape than rest them too long...

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-18-2017, 11:37 AM
This is the NFL, despite the records of the 2 remaining opponents, there are no gimme games. The Starters will play and if they light up the scoreboard, then the backups will get more reps. Win out, control your own fate and rest at the bye week.

Born2Steel
12-18-2017, 11:45 AM
This is the NFL, despite the records of the 2 remaining opponents, there are no gimme games. The Starters will play and if they light up the scoreboard, then the backups will get more reps. Win out, control your own fate and rest at the bye week.

This is actually what my question is. I never meant the 'NBA' style of resting players. Play backups, starters start but get a much heavier rotation, unless needed to be out there. I'm not talking about tanking games. Already, AB will not be out there, JuJu has a sore hammy that will not get better without rest, Bell will have to play because he's all we have left at full speed, Haden and Mitchell both need to get healthy for the playoffs, and why not rotate Harrison in for 50% plays to rest Watt a bit? I feel the question is being mis-interpreted.

Personally, I play everyone that can play. It's crunch time and we need to finish this.

EzraTank
12-18-2017, 12:29 PM
They have to go all out. The Jags are nipping at their heels. You can't rest guys and risk losing a bye.

This. Plus the Jags win the head to head (like the Pats) so you have to finish a game ahead of them. I'd much rather have the bye then worry about resting guys the next two games.

Houston on the road with their 3rd string QB should be a win. Then Cleveland at home. We just cannot play down to our opponent like we always seem to do! Put the starters in and run the score up early THEN rest guys.

Right now we are the #2 seed and no one can take that from us as long as we do not lose. I'm praying that Buffalo who is currently the #6 seed and needs to win, plays the game of their lives and beats the Pats next week in Foxboro. If that happens then we are the #1 seed again!

GBMelBlount
12-18-2017, 12:34 PM
I would throttle them back a little when we have a decent lead in either game.

Fire Goodell
12-18-2017, 12:35 PM
I have a feeling the Jags will drop to the 49ers, or at least that has a decent chance of happening. The 49ers have gone 3-0 with Jimmy G at the helm and are playing with a newfound confidence. That and Jax has to fly all the way to the west coast to play them, which usually causes teams to struggle.

In either case, we just have to handle our business against the Texans and Browns. If we can't beat these 2 teams then we don't deserve a bye. Period.

Also I don't think we should crown NE as the #1 seed yet. They still have to beat the Bills who have been playing well recently. I hope they're still pissed about the gronk cheap shot and come out swinging.

Born2Steel
12-18-2017, 12:41 PM
So, is the first round bye more important, or having everyone as close to 100% as possible for the playoffs? Say we play everyone in the same rotation as we have been, and still lose one of these remaining games. How much confidence is there for #7 now?

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-18-2017, 12:59 PM
So, is the first round bye more important, or having everyone as close to 100% as possible for the playoffs? Say we play everyone in the same rotation as we have been, and still lose one of these remaining games. How much confidence is there for #7 now?

So rest guys, then play in the Wild Card round and get guys injured playing playoff (win or go home style) football, so the team is banged up for the next round??

Why not just win out and take the bye, extra week of rest and avoid the wear and tear of one extra game of football?

AtlantaDan
12-18-2017, 01:05 PM
So rest guys, then play in the Wild Card round and get guys injured playing playoff (win or go home style) football, so the team is banged up for the next round??

Why not just win out and take the bye, extra week of rest and avoid the wear and tear of one extra game of football?

Agreed

The first round bye gets a week of rest for everyone, particularly AB, avoids playing January 13 or 14 on the road, and eliminates the risk of injury (and loss) by playing wildcard weekend

Because a player can be injured early in the first quarter (Ryan Shazier) or early in the second quarter (AB), the only way the Steelers can be assured of "having everyone as close to 100% as possible" is by playing backups the entire game the next two weeks.

The Steelers said in training camp how important it was to get the bye - they were right and need to pursue that goal until the bye is locked up.

teegre
12-18-2017, 02:16 PM
I'm praying that Buffalo who is currently the #6 seed and needs to win, plays the game of their lives and beats the Pats next week in Foxboro. If that happens then we are the #1 seed again!

Buffalo is also still pissed about Gronk’s hit on Tre White.

Expect a hard-hitting game.

SteelMember
12-18-2017, 02:18 PM
Control your own destiny and win the last two on the schedule... then you get the bye and all that goes along with it. That should be the goal right now. One at a time, of course. :wink02:

teegre
12-18-2017, 02:22 PM
1) Steelers win out. 13-3

2) Bills destroy the Taperiots. 12-4.

3) Jaguars win out. 12-4... and the #2 seed.

SteelMember
12-18-2017, 02:41 PM
Buffalo is also still pissed about Gronk’s hit on Tre White.

Expect a hard-hitting game.

Buffalo is also still hanging on the the last wild card spot I think. They should play like their season depends on it... Can't retaliate this season without a bunch of eyes watching. Could cost you a player or the game... but I'm sure they won't forget.

Born2Steel
12-18-2017, 02:43 PM

I don't know if that would be justice, but the world WOULD seem right again.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems everyone is in agreement on this for a change. Really no debate at all. Full steam ahead, #7 or bust. Go Steelers!!

Fire Goodell
12-18-2017, 04:35 PM

I have a feeling the 49ers can take down the Jags. They're much improved and playing with a newfound confidence now. And Jax has to fly across the country to play them. But hey no complaints if it turns out this way!

RunNGun
12-18-2017, 04:42 PM
If we haven't seen much of 92 to this point, I think we will keep seeing the same throughout the rest of the regular season and playoffs. He's just too much of a liability in pass coverage. He's worthless in space. It looks like his time has come..

Fire Goodell
12-18-2017, 04:43 PM
If we haven't seen much of 92 to this point, I think we will keep seeing the same throughout the rest of the regular season and playoffs. He's just too much of a liability in pass coverage. He's worthless in space. It looks like his time has come..

Harrison is a liability in space. Dumpoffs to the RB's would kill us, I'd much rather have Dupree / Watt in space than 92. Love the guy but he's lost one too many steps to be effective in today's game. He still is probably a decent pass rusher, but definitely a less versatile option.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-18-2017, 06:54 PM
Jets are not that bad and can see them trying to play spoiler to beat the Pats. They also got rob on a TD just as bad against the Pats in week 6. Maybe they want revenge and seeing the Pats getting away with it on other teams now may fire them up.

Mojouw
12-18-2017, 07:16 PM
Jets are not that bad and can see them trying to play spoiler to beat the Pats. They also got rob on a TD just as bad against the Pats in week 6. Maybe they want revenge and seeing the Pats getting away with it on other teams now may fire them up.

Bryce Petty. I mean no one is winning anything with that dude under center.

I really wish the Jets were still competitive, but that team checked out weeks ago.

12-18-2017, 07:23 PM

I really wish the Jets were still competitive, but that team checked out weeks ago. Good Point and never mind lol!

SteelMayhem72
12-18-2017, 07:27 PM
You all know the deal. Pats will be hosting AFC championship game. Word came loud and clear from the front office at yesterday's game in the last 2 or 3 plays of the game. No doubt in my mind!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

DesertSteel
12-18-2017, 07:37 PM

I really wish the Jets were still competitive, but that team checked out weeks ago.
I saw parts of their game against the Saints yesterday. They haven’t checked out.

- - - Updated - - -

You all know the deal. Pats will be hosting AFC championship game. Word came loud and clear from the front office at yesterday's game in the last 2 or 3 plays of the game. No doubt in my mind!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

There’s a good chance the Chiefs will be going there in the D round. They match up with the Patriots pretty well.

Iron Steeler
12-18-2017, 08:20 PM
I have never been a fan of slowing down... yhis team needs momentum . We need something to break for us... Pats loss!!! pllleeeeaaase!

86WARD
12-20-2017, 05:49 PM
Two weeks to rest after these two games. They’ll be fine. Win this week and take it from there. Ask the Colts how resting players for multiple weeks works out...

Born2Steel
12-21-2017, 10:51 AM
I feel the Texans are getting a pissed off Steelers defense this week. We may draw some flags/fines, just hopefully no suspensions. I love us in this one. I think we will be focused and determined. All we need to do is win this week and we have our first round bye locked up. Go Bills!

12-21-2017, 11:14 AM
I feel the Texans are getting a pissed off Steelers defense this week. We may draw some flags/fines, just hopefully no suspensions. I love us in this one. I think we will be focused and determined. All we need to do is win this week and we have our first round bye locked up. Go Bills! I guarantee we won't cover the spread and never do against average teams. Steelers win by less then 10.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless this team is still pissed from getting screwed. Then it will be a complete blowout I would love to see. This is less likely though!

12-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Anyways Night crew is over and did my job, You first trick badass need to take it from here and run with it!

GBMelBlount
12-21-2017, 05:53 PM
I feel the Texans are getting a pissed off Steelers defense this week.

We may draw some flags/fines, just hopefully no suspensions.

I love us in this one. I think we will be focused and determined. All we need to do is win this week and we have our first round bye locked up. Go Bills!

If this team wants to go to the Super Bowl, they need to start playing more disciplined.

One stupid penalty can lose a game.

Fire Goodell
12-22-2017, 10:40 AM
A 45-7 win would be nice

86WARD
12-22-2017, 03:44 PM
That would be a Merry Christmas.

j-d-s
12-22-2017, 05:04 PM
We can rest the starters against the Browns. We beat them last year with resting the starters... Landry Jones, of all people, beat them!

12-22-2017, 05:34 PM
We can rest the starters against the Browns. We beat them last year with resting the starters... Landry Jones, of all people, beat them! We got lucky in the last minute or two of that game to win. You have to play the starters if the 2 or 1 seed is in play.

hawaiiansteeler
12-22-2017, 07:13 PM
We got lucky in the last minute or two of that game to win. You have to play the starters if the 2 or 1 seed is in play.

:iagree:

j-d-s
12-25-2017, 10:03 PM
I would rest the starters. There is no way Bryce Petty wins @NE.