PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger Says Decision Not To Spike Came From Sideline

Shoes
12-17-2017, 07:55 PM
:stirthepot:

Things sure could get crazy in a hurry in close games as the clock ticks down. We saw an awful lot of chaos over the course of the final three minutes of tonight’s game between the Pittsburgh Steelersand the New England Patriots, but the most damning bit of confusion evidently came just prior to the penultimate snap of the game, the Steelers’ final offensive play.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12/roethlisberger-says-decision-not-spike-came-sideline/

st33lersguy
12-17-2017, 08:00 PM
Not surprised, coaching is a mess on this team

DesertSteel
12-17-2017, 08:00 PM
Ben is a real turd sometimes.

BlackAndGold
12-17-2017, 08:02 PM
Spiking the ball would have been dumb.

Ben throwing the ball in triple coverage was even dumber.

Mojouw
12-17-2017, 08:05 PM
The non spike was a fine call. No problem with that. You likely assume your QB doesn’t make a high school jv level decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craic
12-17-2017, 08:05 PM
Spiking the ball would have been dumb.
Not really. It stops the clock and gives the fieldgoal team a chance to line up.

Ben throwing the ball in triple coverage was even dumber.

Absolutely. Of course, I can see why he threw it, too. It looked as though it'd either be caught, or an incomplete. It was simply a very lucky bounce that created the INT. Heck, had it bounced forward off his hands (towards the back of the endzone), it would have been caught by another Steelers player for a TD.

DesertSteel
12-17-2017, 08:09 PM
Not really. It stops the clock and gives the fieldgoal team a chance to line up.

Absolutely. Of course, I can see why he threw it, too. It looked as though it'd either be caught, or an incomplete. It was simply a very lucky bounce that created the INT. Heck, had it bounced forward off his hands (towards the back of the endzone), it would have been caught by another Steelers player for a TD.
Are you sure that you didn't just listen to the game on the radio?

86WARD
12-17-2017, 08:17 PM
First of all, the call was not disguised whatsoever, everyone knew it was a fake spike...even Romo called it. Secondly, the design was shit...if you are doing that play, you shouldn’t be running a route or throwing the ball into traffic. That’s got to be a fade route where only the receiver makes a play or it’s incomplete. Lastly, if you are running that play, you make the throw quick. Ben held that ball for way too long and then tried to force it into traffic. It was a poor decision on multiple levels and poorly executed on multiple levels.

BlackAndGold
12-17-2017, 08:24 PM
Ben should have thrown the ball in the stands when he didn't see anything legitimately open, that is a fact.

That is on Ben. Nothing can't be without drama when he makes a mistake. Dust this one off and get ready for next week, a stupid ass rule cost them the game. Take it out on them in the postseason by beating the living hell out of them.

teegre
12-17-2017, 08:28 PM
Ben should have thrown the ball in the stands when he didn't see anything legitimately open, that is a fact.

Twice.

On second down, he threw it in bounds. WTF!?!

On third down, he threw it into triple coverage. WTF!?! WTF!?! WTF!?!

86WARD
12-17-2017, 08:31 PM
Yep. Throw it away, take the next play or kick the FG. You don’t leave “guaranteed points” on the field on a risky play like that.

BlackAndGold
12-17-2017, 08:32 PM
Twice.

On second down, he threw it in bounds. WTF!?!

On third down, he threw it into triple coverage. WTF!?! WTF!?! WTF!?!

Yep.

I think I've yelled at Ben through my TV(lol) more times about not throwing the ball away then him throwing stupid INT's.

pczach
12-17-2017, 08:35 PM
What a clusterfuck the end of that game turned into. It went from a thing of beauty and winning the game, to an agonizing loss.

Ben should have definitely thrown the ball away on second down. I still don't know where to start on that last play. Did Ben do that on is own? Did Eli run the wrong route? Did Ben call for the slant? Should the ball have been thrown?

It still looked like clear pass interference to me as Rogers was tackled before the ball got there or the ball never gets deflected into the air.

Only the Cheats.....

Steelerchad
12-17-2017, 08:39 PM
First of all, the call was not disguised whatsoever, everyone knew it was a fake spike...even Romo called it. Secondly, the design was shit...if you are doing that play, you shouldn’t be running a route or throwing the ball into traffic. That’s got to be a fade route where only the receiver makes a play or it’s incomplete. Lastly, if you are running that play, you make the throw quick. Ben held that ball for way too long and then tried to force it into traffic. It was a poor decision on multiple levels and poorly executed on multiple levels.

If he's not open, Brady throws that through the goal posts and they kick the 3. Just sayin.

SteelerFanInStl
12-17-2017, 08:43 PM
We take the good with the bad with Ben. Everyone knows that he doesn't give up on a play and is always trying to make it work. Yea, he should've just sailed it out of the end zone but if Rogers hadn't been tackled, the play might've ended differently.

Steeldude
12-17-2017, 08:43 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/image.php?u=1679&type=sigpic&dateline=1513561811

Just look at everyone just standing around.

fansince'76
12-17-2017, 08:44 PM
If he's not open, Brady throws that through the goal posts and they kick the 3. Just sayin.

Kind of an ill-advised throw that Vince Williams picked. Just sayin...

SteelerFanInStl
12-17-2017, 08:44 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/image.php?u=1679&type=sigpic&dateline=1513561811

That's what you do on a fake spike play. Unfortunately the Pats knew it was coming because of the poor execution.

DesertSteel
12-17-2017, 08:45 PM
Brady has nothing to do with it.

BlackAndGold
12-17-2017, 08:45 PM
The whole ending was a disaster. Just awful.

pczach
12-17-2017, 08:47 PM

Not true. Who makes more tight throws than Brady? You saw a bunch of them in this game including the fourth down play and the one touchdown when he was moving toward the line of scrimmage and threw it. There were defenders right there with their arms right there to deflect the pass, but the receiver held on to the ball and made the play. Any one of about a dozen passes Brady threw in this game could have been deflected and intercepted. Ben didn't throw it into the belly of a defender. He tried to fit it into a tight spot and the WR was tackled before the ball got there and got deflected into the air.

I'm not happy with the outcome either, but Ben didn't bury it into a defenders chest. It was just one of those plays. Nobody is complaining about the throw into coverage that hit AB right in the stomach and should have been a TD, but he dropped it and then got hurt. This is football, and sometimes shit happens.

Hawkman
12-17-2017, 08:55 PM
I really think they were completely messed from the TD reversal. They were celebrating on the sideline, they had to completely regroup with 28 seconds. It all just sucked.

- - - Updated - - -

Ben is a real turd sometimes.

So Ben's being a turd for answering a direct question?? It's not like he was on national radio saying Haley made a shitty call. He was fully planning to spike it, and didn't have a play called. Had AB been there, he probably just winked at him and they would pull it off.

DesertSteel
12-17-2017, 09:02 PM
So Ben's being a turd for answering a direct question?? It's not like he was on national radio saying Haley made a shitty call. He was fully planning to spike it, and didn't have a play called. Had AB been there, he probably just winked at him and they would pull it off.

You really can't see through Ben?

To start with there's no coach who will clock it in that scenario. There was five seconds left after the interception. But the real point is that Ben shouldn't be shifting the blame. Be a man and say I screwed up. Just say it without all the other bullcrap to deflect blame. It was a horrible decision to throw that ball and the decision not to clock it had nothing to do with it.

teegre
12-17-2017, 09:05 PM
I really think they were completely messed from the TD reversal. They were celebrating on the sideline, they had to completely regroup with 28 seconds. It all just sucked.

True

I know that I was in shock.

Hawkman
12-17-2017, 09:08 PM
True

I know that I was in shock.

I know how I felt, I couldn't imagine being those guys and trying to go from super high to refocusing on the next play.

Rotorhead
12-17-2017, 09:10 PM

It was a good play, he is open with the inside slant already, had he not been tackled BEFORE the throw it would have been a TD. It was a bad / lucky deflection with no penalty called. If he would have just missed the catch it would have been FG time. Terrible no call by the refs after the BS reversal of the TD.

86WARD
12-17-2017, 09:48 PM

That’s what happens on a fake spike.

Steelermania
12-18-2017, 05:53 AM
Fake spike was a dumb call. They had enough time to run a regular quick pass play. The clock wasn't that far down. No one is fooled by that fake spike anymore.

teegre
12-18-2017, 06:29 AM
I slept on this.

I awoke, saw the last two plays again... and, I’m even more pissed.

First of all, they had a good three minutes to think of a good play. Maybe they did, and maybe the Taperiots defender disrupted the play, but dumping it off in bounds CAUSED the next pay to be rushed.

Secondly, BB loves to spike the ball. Ever seen him spike the ball instead of using a time out? Me, too. I know that the Steelers didn’t have a time out left, but that does not change the fact that BB wanted to spike the ball. In hindsight, maybe letting him spike it and going to OT was the right call. I know that there was PLENTY of time to attempt an end-zone/game-winning pass. But...

...that pass was AWFUL. What was BB thinking on that last play!?! He HAS to know the game situation. An incomplete pass is not a bad thing; whereas, forcing a ball into quadruple coverage is. I know that Rogers ran the wrong route, which caused BB to hesitate. But, instead of forcing the ball, BB should have thrown it away.

SUMMATION:
I truly think that the James TD reversal shocked them so badly, that they basically wasted the next two plays. So, again, maybe BB was correct to simply spike it (because, deep down, he knew that he was too rattled to make an accurate decision).

EzraTank
12-18-2017, 07:05 AM
After the overturn the next 2 plays should have all been throws to the endzone. When they threw that ball to Heyward-Bey inbounds ... ugh. The only guy I would have thrown to underneath is Bell because he knows how to break tackles but I only would have done that is he was one on one. They had all that time when they were reviewing it to get ready, and I just knew the longer the review went the more likely the NFL was looking to overturn it.

Once they fucked up the first play and the clock was running you spike the ball and play for OT.

fansince'76
12-18-2017, 08:45 AM
You really can't see through Ben?

To start with there's no coach who will clock it in that scenario. There was five seconds left after the interception. But the real point is that Ben shouldn't be shifting the blame. Be a man and say I screwed up. Just say it without all the other bullcrap to deflect blame. It was a horrible decision to throw that ball and the decision not to clock it had nothing to do with it.

Ben is generally the first one to point the finger at himself for a loss, from what I've seen, even when it's one of his teammates who fucked up.

DesertSteel
12-18-2017, 09:49 AM
I slept on this.

I awoke, saw the last two plays again... and, I’m even more pissed.

First of all, they had a good three minutes to think of a good play. Maybe they did, and maybe the Taperiots defender disrupted the play, but dumping it off in bounds CAUSED the next pay to be rushed.

Secondly, BB loves to spike the ball. Ever seen him spike the ball instead of using a time out? Me, too. I know that the Steelers didn’t have a time out left, but that does not change the fact that BB wanted to spike the ball. In hindsight, maybe letting him spike it and going to OT was the right call. I know that there was PLENTY of time to attempt an end-zone/game-winning pass. But...

...that pass was AWFUL. What was BB thinking on that last play!?! He HAS to know the game situation. An incomplete pass is not a bad thing; whereas, forcing a ball into quadruple coverage is. I know that Rogers ran the wrong route, which caused BB to hesitate. But, instead of forcing the ball, BB should have thrown it away.

SUMMATION:
I truly think that the James TD reversal shocked them so badly, that they basically wasted the next two plays. So, again, maybe BB was correct to simply spike it (because, deep down, he knew that he was too rattled to make an accurate decision).

Max Kellerman this morning convinced me that the James play was a TD. His knee down and pulling the ball in constituted possession. The ensuing stretch was a football play and it crossed the plane.

As for Ben... isn't a throw away the equivalent of a spike in that situation?? Ben has zero excuse for that ridiculous pass. Ben and Davis are the goats of this game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-18-2017, 11:40 AM
As for Ben... isn't a throw away the equivalent of a spike in that situation?? Ben has zero excuse for that ridiculous pass. .

I completely agree, but I am sure Ben will have a good comment about it on his weekly show.:doh:

Born2Steel
12-18-2017, 11:47 AM
Maybe...but the decision to throw into triple coverage was made by Ben. Bad decision, should have thrown out of bounds, Boz kicks us into OT. Oh well...

DesertSteel
12-18-2017, 04:01 PM
I completely agree, but I am sure Ben will have a good comment about it on his weekly show.:doh:
That transcript will be a doozy! I'm not sure that he even understands the terrible flaws of his own communication style.

SteelMember
12-18-2017, 04:13 PM
Ben is generally the first one to point the finger at himself for a loss, from what I've seen, even when it's one of his teammates who fucked up.

The call did come from the sideline... and Ben did take the blame for the bad throw in the after game interview from the locker room. :noidea:

DesertSteel
12-18-2017, 05:47 PM
The call did come from the sideline... and Ben did take the blame for the bad throw in the after game interview from the locker room. :noidea:
If you heard the interview, the emphasis was clearly on his disagreement with the coaches decision to throw. That decision was the correct one. Five seconds were left after the ridiculous throw and interception. There was no fault in the call not to spike it. I can't even imagine the outrage if they'd spiked/kicked and then lost in OT. Now, if he wants to say the coaches drew up that play, then I can find plenty of fault with that. But I haven't heard where the fake spike/ one option play came from. That leads me to believe that Ben had a lot to do with that. Just speculation on my part. I'd like to know for sure if anyone has heard.

Shoes
12-18-2017, 07:31 PM
The call did come from the sideline... and Ben did take the blame for the bad throw in the after game interview from the locker room.

Can't pin this all on Ben, he sure as hell didn't have much help form his coaches. You have Haley and Tomlin on the sideline, one saying spike, the other saying go for it with seconds on the clock. They need to get their shit together.

SteelerFanInStl
12-18-2017, 07:54 PM
I can't wait for the day that Ben retires so that Steeler Nation can find someone else to constantly complain about.

DesertSteel
12-18-2017, 08:38 PM
I can't wait for the day that Ben retires so that Steeler Nation can find someone else to constantly complain about.
Right. You can never criticize a play or a bad game because that makes you a hater and unappreciative of one's career? Lol.

Ben never seems to have any problem throwing a teammate or coach under the bus.

SteelerFanInStl
12-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Right. You can never criticize a play or a bad game because that makes you a hater and unappreciative of one's career? Lol.

Ben never seems to have any problem throwing a teammate or coach under the bus.

It's not a criticism of one play or one game. It's the constant whining about everything that Ben says or does.

Ben didn't "throw a teammate or coach under the bus". He was asked a question and answered it honestly. Apparently people don't like honesty.

DesertSteel
12-18-2017, 09:18 PM
It's not a criticism of one play or one game. It's the constant whining about everything that Ben says or does.

Ben didn't "throw a teammate or coach under the bus". He was asked a question and answered it honestly. Apparently people don't like honesty.

Listen I've been a Steelers fan since before they won their first Super Bowl. I know what it's like to have bad quarterbacks. Ben is top 5 in the league. I don't constantly whine about Ben. And Ben does throw people under the bus. Everyone sees it but the homers. Just because you get asked a question doesn't mean you have to answer it in an inflammatory way.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-18-2017, 10:41 PM
Listen I've been a Steelers fan since before they won their first Super Bowl. I know what it's like to have bad quarterbacks. Ben is top 5 in the league. I don't constantly whine about Ben. And Ben does throw people under the bus. Everyone sees it but the homers. Just because you get asked a question doesn't mean you have to answer it in an inflammatory way.
:applaudit: Exactly, I bet there were a few guys over the years that didn't answer questions about Ben with such freedom and transparency. I bet a few of them held back to protect their teammate, rather than answer in an inflammatory way that would make judgement much easier.

j-d-s
12-19-2017, 12:40 AM
Let's just hope Ben thinks about this in the Playoffs. I'd much rather lose this game because of that bad decision than one in the Playoffs. I think we have a chance when we play the Cheats again, even at Foxboro. But it will be close and if anyone messes up, we're done. But now everyone has a chance to redeem themselves.

And the coaches can think of something to slow Gronk down. I mean, you probably can't stop him altogether, but not leaving him wide open doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Mojouw
12-19-2017, 01:34 AM
I know it’s frustrating but look at some of those catches. They were incredible. That’s what man coverage is. Double teams are zones in the NFL. This is what everyone wanted. Now we’ve seen it. Now the chess match begins again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teegre
12-19-2017, 06:15 AM
Why the fake spike? Why not send Bell out, have BB survey his options, and if no one is open, BB throws it away?

Because, the fake spike requires a quick/hurried throw... which doesn’t really allow BB the opportunity to think about throwing it away.

With Bell, you don’t need a trick play. Just line up and rely on your talent.

SteelerFanInStl
12-19-2017, 06:31 AM

First of all, my post wasn't directed at you but for some reason you felt the need to get defensive about it. I've also been a Steelers fan for over 40 years so I'm anything but a homer. Answers and statements can be interpreted in different ways. I take them for what they are and don't look for controversy or drama.

There's going to be a rough patch for this team when Ben retires so I try to appreciate what we've had since Ben came into the league.

tube517
12-19-2017, 07:11 AM
Too much arguing over a game manager. :chuckle:

Let's focus on beating the Fake Oilers and Macho Man Tom Savage.

Bluecoat96
12-19-2017, 07:21 AM
Let's just hope Ben thinks about this in the Playoffs. I'd much rather lose this game because of that bad decision than one in the Playoffs. I think we have a chance when we play the Cheats again, even at Foxboro. But it will be close and if anyone messes up, we're done. But now everyone has a chance to redeem themselves.

And the coaches can think of something to slow Gronk down. I mean, you probably can't stop him altogether, but not leaving him wide open doesn't seem like a bad idea.I think with Haden back in the mix for the next possible meeting against the cheats the Steelers will have more options for Gronk...at least I hope.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

DesertSteel
12-19-2017, 08:23 AM
First of all, my post wasn't directed at you but for some reason you felt the need to get defensive about it. I've also been a Steelers fan for over 40 years so I'm anything but a homer. Answers and statements can be interpreted in different ways. I take them for what they are and don't look for controversy or drama.

There's going to be a rough patch for this team when Ben retires so I try to appreciate what we've had since Ben came into the league.
Well you quoted me and seemed to be directing your comment to me. I appreciate Ben too. But there are times I haven’t supported his off field conduct. And you don’t have to look hard to find drama when Ben talks to the media. His reputation as a drama queen is his own doing. I can separate that from his on field play though. The throw was a bad decision. Period. It gets belabored because people on here try to defend it. Time to move on.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-19-2017, 10:48 AM
Well you quoted me and seemed to be directing your comment to me. I appreciate Ben too. But there are times I haven’t supported his off field conduct. And you don’t have to look hard to find drama when Ben talks to the media. His reputation as a drama queen is his own doing. I can separate that from his on field play though. The throw was a bad decision. Period. It gets belabored because people on here try to defend it. Time to move on.

Do you see the irony here? Some want to ignore all of Ben's off field issues, drama, etc and back him up because he is "their QB" and they have his back. While at times Ben's comments calling out guys in the media, despite his ability to do it face to face in the locker room, are not deemed as "having the back" of his teammates.

So its OK for "their QB" to not have his teammates back, but its mandatory that teammates and fans "have Bens back." :lol:

DesertSteel
12-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Do you see the irony here? Some want to ignore all of Ben's off field issues, drama, etc and back him up because he is "their QB" and they have his back. While at times Ben's comments calling out guys in the media, despite his ability to do it face to face in the locker room, are not deemed as "having the back" of his teammates.

So its OK for "their QB" to not have his teammates back, but its mandatory that teammates and fans "have Bens back." :lol:

There is tons of irony in it all. Like I said somewhere else, I really don't think Ben recognizes the terrible flaws of his own communication style. He stirs the pot and then acts incredulous that the media runs with it. I think he's genuinely a solid guy who's matured from where he was in his mid-20's. But at this point, it's just who he is. I'm sure glad that he's our QB and I hope he remains for another 3-4 years.

SteelerFanInStl
12-19-2017, 11:11 AM

No, my first post didn't quote you. It didn't quote anyone. You replied to it. We weren't even talking about the throw here. Even Ben said that it was a bad throw and he took the blame for it. Yes, time to move on.

Mojouw
12-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Do these dudes just sit at home and be like:

"Now everyone on the internet will agree with me! Finally, I am vindicated! To the message boards to share my tired lame arguments for the 10,000th time! BUT this time it will be different and the others anguish over their beloved Steelers loss will burn away their homerism and reveal the truth --my truth!! Everyone will agree with me! I will be crowned king of the internet and go down as a truth telling hero!"

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/6c/0c/d4/6c0cd46885383f246c101c8675fafd9b.jpg

pczach
12-20-2017, 08:08 PM
His 2 rings were from a great defense and not having to play the Pats in the playoffs those 2 years! His size also is of great benefit to him!

Oh look......another single issue poster with an agenda.......:coffee:

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-20-2017, 08:37 PM
Oh look......another single issue poster with an agenda.......:coffee: They are probably fans of teams that there season has already ended like Cinci and the Browns. They need something to do.

AtlantaDan
12-20-2017, 08:47 PM
There is tons of irony in it all. Like I said somewhere else, I really don't think Ben recognizes the terrible flaws of his own communication style. He stirs the pot and then acts incredulous that the media runs with it. I think he's genuinely a solid guy who's matured from where he was in his mid-20's. But at this point, it's just who he is. I'm sure glad that he's our QB and I hope he remains for another 3-4 years.

Agreed

But this was a classic Ben way to resolve the discussion regarding communications after the James catch then not a catch through the game ending INT

Asked about late-game planning, Roethlisberger said the Steelers have a "great communication environment" between himself and the head coach, coordinator, assistants and offensive line.

Asked why that communication seemed to have issues in the final seconds, Roethlisberger said, "I don't really remember, to tell you the truth. Because it's so long ago now."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21826926/steelers-quarterback-ben-roethlisberger-says-even-remember-led-game-plan-breakdown

Yep - three days ago - who can honestly recall what might have been said :chuckle: