PDA

View Full Version : THE NFL IS FIXED.

EzraTank
12-17-2017, 06:22 PM
Sorry, James, had the ball, reached across the goal line and then hit the ground.

The Patriots did not win that.

Method28
12-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Why should i care as a fan when shit like this consistently happens. Funny how it always seems to benefit the Patriots.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Bluecoat96
12-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Sadly, I don't agree. He didn't complete the process of the catch. It is what it is. I feel like Ben tried to get too cute.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

SteelerFanInStl
12-17-2017, 06:28 PM
I'm so fucking done with this shit!

Mojouw
12-17-2017, 06:29 PM
No one knows what the call is going to the ground in the end zone anymore. At least one team gets screwed every week.

It’s not a fix. It’s a dumb rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DesertSteel
12-17-2017, 06:29 PM
Sorry, James, had the ball, reached across the goal line and then hit the ground.

The Patriots did not win that.
That's not how the rule works for a receiver. A runner yes - it's a TD after it crosses but a receiver must retain possession all the way to the ground even if it crosss the goal line.

This loss is not on the refs. The Steelers and Ben choked.

EzraTank
12-17-2017, 06:30 PM
Sadly, I don't agree. He didn't complete the process of the catch. It is what it is. I feel like Ben tried to get too cute.

He caught it, made a football move (went down to one knee) then reached it across the goal line before getting touched. TD when it breaks the plane no need to control it after the football move.

steelreserve
12-17-2017, 06:30 PM

Bullshit. And that was a nice tackle on Rogers before the ball got there on the last play, too. No matter though, the outcome was already determined.

Should've just broken Brady's ankle on the last snap, nothing they could do about that, and apparently it's the fashionable thing to do now.

Mojouw
12-17-2017, 06:34 PM
He caught it, made a football move (went down to one knee) then reached it across the goal line before getting touched. TD when it breaks the plane no need to control it after the football move.

That’s not the rule in the end zone. Once he crosses the plane it’s only about control through the catch to the ground. He could do a dance routine and if he bobbled the ball and it hits the ground it’s gonna be no catch.

lotas
If only...

if only Sean Davis catches the ball that hits his hands.

if only JuJu takes it to the house on that play with 56 seconds left.

if only Jesse James goes to the ground and secures the catch instead of trying to reach and stretch.

Pittsburgh had this one, they played 90% better than they did in the AFCCG, despite losing the star of their offense (again). This one hurts even worse, because we were so close to beating them.

BlackAndGold
No one knows what the call is going to the ground in the end zone anymore. At least one team gets screwed every week.

100% correct. It's not fixed, or rigged. It's a dumbass rule the NFL made, which has ruined the game.

Drazo85
How's that not a touchdown!? He catch it, got down, got up and broke the plane and then he lost control! If that's not a football move, I don't know what is!

BlackAndGold
12-17-2017, 06:35 PM
If only...

if only JuJu takes it to the house on that play with 56 seconds left.

He might have if he wasn't returning a kickoff. Ran out of gas at the end.

Neversatisfied
12-17-2017, 06:35 PM

What's the difference if the ball breaks the plane and the ball is batted out of his hand? Contact? Who knows, the NFL calls it however they feel necessary on any given play

Mojouw
12-17-2017, 06:36 PM
100% correct. It's not fixed, or rigged. It's a dumbass rule the NFL made, which has ruined the game.

Oh yeah. The rule is terrible and no one knows how to call it.

Iron Steeler
12-17-2017, 06:38 PM
Hope this emotional loss doesnt hangover to next week

Count Steeler
12-17-2017, 06:40 PM
Was there conclusive evidence that the ball touched the ground? Seems like Jesse had his right under the ball.

Also, Rogers got mugged on the last play and zero mention from the booth.

st33lersguy
12-17-2017, 06:40 PM
Shouldn't have even fucking come to that.

-The Steelers played turtleball cause they have no interest in putting teams away before the final play (really 3rd and 4 and you throw within the sticks)
-The defense typically choke, the braindead DC leaves a god awful safety single covered with Gronk and the god awful safety gets burned every time for a TD
-Then James instead of holding onto the ball decides to move around the ball and lose possession, cause he's a shit TE (if he just doesn't move the ball around they score
-Then dumbass Ben decides to throw short and in bounds wasting beautiful time and haphazardly rushing the final play doomed for failure leading to the game losing INT

This fucking team completely choked and bailed the Cheaters out, decided it was good to lose in the most painful fucking way imaginable.
This team has barely scraped by shitty teams all year and then folded like a cheap suit against a legit Super Bowl contender with the game on the line.

Butch
12-17-2017, 06:43 PM
That's not how the rule works for a receiver. A runner yes - it's a TD after it crosses but a receiver must retain possession all the way to the ground even if it crosss the goal line.

I wanna know how Ben choked? If you are talking about the last play why wasn't pass interference called? They get holding but we don't get PI and that's on Ben?

Mojouw
12-17-2017, 06:44 PM
This is just getting comical now. When you man up on the other teams guys that means it’s hard to double team. Double team usually means zone.

I’m gonna quit because I don’t wanna piss anyone off.

86WARD
12-17-2017, 06:45 PM

Exactly...

Craic
12-17-2017, 06:45 PM
Here we go whining like Seahawk fans again.

Look. The game isn't fixed. It was a the correct call on a stupid rule. He didn't go down to one knee, then get back up. He went down to one knee and, as he continued falling, stretched out over the goal line. He was still going to the ground, which is the definition for a catch—the receiver must keep hold of the ball all the way to the ground.

My only question, however, is did the ball actually touch the ground? THAT, is a ton more questionable than whether the call was correct concerning "going to the ground." Nevertheless, this loss belongs to Ben for forcing that throw at the end. Ju Ju was covered. Throw the ball away. However, Ben had such a stellar game up to that point, that I really don't blame him for taking the shot. In fact, I'm amazingly calm that we lost. We showed we can play against this team. Our defense did well considering both our top DB and top LB are not playing. Our offense played great considered our top WR went out in the first half.

No, I really couldn't care less that we lost this game except for the fact that home field advantage would have been nice in the AFCCG. Other than that, I actually feel like it's the Pats* who will be looking over their shoulder the next time we play them, because they know they got lucky with this win. Very lucky. And that luck isn't going to hold out.

DesertSteel
12-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Pats are looking over their shoulder. Steelers can't stop Brady to Gronk. Not in the past, not now and not in the playoffs.

silver & black
12-17-2017, 06:52 PM
You guys got screwed. This is how it is to be a Raiders fan...lol.

Godfather
If the Pats** had slapped the ball out of his hand when he tried to reach it, does anyone honestly believe the fumble would have been overturned?

Shoes
Pats are looking over their shoulder. Steelers can't stop Brady to Gronk. Not in the past, not now and not in the playoffs.

I guess your season is over then. Se ya next year.

Steelerchad
12-17-2017, 06:54 PM
that's my feeling more than anything. They tend to let calls stand and I certainly could tell the ball moved, but not that it touched the ground.

86WARD
12-17-2017, 06:55 PM
Here we go whining like Seahawk fans again.

Look. The game isn't fixed. It was a the correct call on a stupid rule. He didn't go down to one knee, then get back up. He went down to one knee and, as he continued falling, stretched out over the goal line. He was still going to the ground, which is the definition for a catch—the receiver must keep hold of the ball all the way to the ground.

My only question, however, is did the ball actually touch the ground? THAT, is a ton more questionable than whether the call was correct concerning "going to the ground." Nevertheless, this loss belongs to Ben for forcing that throw at the end. Ju Ju was covered. Throw the ball away. However, Ben had such a stellar game up to that point, that I really don't blame him for taking the shot. In fact, I'm amazingly calm that we lost. We showed we can play against this team. Our defense did well considering both our top DB and top LB are not playing. Our offense played great considered our top WR went out in the first half.

No, I really couldn't care less that we lost this game except for the fact that home field advantage would have been nice in the AFCCG. Other than that, I actually feel like it's the Pats* who will be looking over their shoulder the next time we play them, because they know they got lucky with this win. Very lucky. And that luck isn't going to hold out.

It’s a dumb rule and according to the rule, it’s an incomplete pass. Can’t tell exactly if the ball hit the ground...looks like it did but i wouldn’t say it was conclusive, but at the same time, it was definitely moving and there wasn’t control at the end...but all the ball should have to do is cross the goal line...except if it’s a reception...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171218/771ed4b22f4ad3f3ac9217b9a04e0247.jpg

Hawkman
12-17-2017, 06:56 PM

I don’t see anyone stopping Gronk. Think he might have made a difference last week against the fins?

silver & black
12-17-2017, 06:58 PM
It did touch the ground....... AFTER it broke the plane. Bad call. The Patr*ots get another cheap win.

Hawkman
12-17-2017, 06:58 PM
I’ll bet that play is not called consistently.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-17-2017, 06:59 PM
Davis played horribly on the last drive. The blitz by Hilton, Davis was playing outside in and not close enough to Gronk. On the 2 point convert, again terrible coverage, where just an incompletion means the Steelers win the game with a FG.

Still, the offense needed a first down to run some clock on the 2nd last possession and could not get it. That was when the game was lost IMO. Big time players need to step up and make big plays in big moments and the Steelers did not in the last 4 minutes.

I just hope AB is ok and its not a broken fibula.

BostonBlackie
12-17-2017, 06:59 PM
..................Brady to Gronk...............

That's the difference in the game right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMXeLqj_dhc&feature=onebox

j-d-s
12-17-2017, 07:00 PM
But it is. It's the same as with catches where the receiver comes down out of bounds. Must maintain control through the entire process of going to the ground.

The plane breaking is only applicable if there was a football move.

tube517
12-17-2017, 07:02 PM
Problem is no conclusive evidence the ball hit the ground. Has to be conclusive TO OVERTURN and the camera angle did not have the angle.

Fuck the NFL.

DesertSteel
12-17-2017, 07:02 PM
That's the difference in the game right there.

Exactly BB. Congrats on a hard fought win.

tube517
12-17-2017, 07:03 PM
Davis played horribly on the last drive. The blitz by Hilton, Davis was playing outside in and not close enough to Gronk. On the 2 point convert, again terrible coverage, where just an incompletion means the Steelers win the game with a FG.

Still, the offense needed a first down to run some clock on the 2nd last possession and could not get it. That was when the game was lost IMO. Big time players need to step up and make big plays in big moments and the Steelers did not in the last 4 minutes.

I just hope AB is ok and its not a broken fibula.

They are saying Torn Calf Muscle. Should be back for playoffs

fansince'76
12-17-2017, 07:04 PM
We lost it on the first 3-and-out of the game when Haley decided to let a banged-up defense try and protect a 5-point lead with about 4 minutes left and went into turtle mode.

BostonBlackie
12-17-2017, 07:05 PM
Exactly BB. Congrats on a hard fought win.

Damn good game all the way around. See you in January.

fansince'76
They are saying Torn Calf Muscle. Should be back for playoffs

Perfect topping for this shit sandwich.

43Hitman
That's the difference in the game.

Good game.. That rule sucks so freaking bad. Oh and Gronk is beast, can't wait till he retires.

Bluecoat96
12-17-2017, 07:07 PM
I'm glad that they at least didn't rush Haden into the line up.

86WARD
12-17-2017, 07:07 PM
Problem is no conclusive evidence the ball hit the ground. Has to be conclusive TO OVERTURN and the camera angle did not have the angle.

Fuck the NFL.

There was no control at the end of the play though...when the ball is turning and wobbling, they call it incomplete...

SteelerFanInStl
12-17-2017, 07:08 PM
All that I asked was that the refs called things evenly. They pretty much did that in the first half but not in the second half.

pczach
12-17-2017, 07:13 PM

Did AB choke when he dropped a touchdown pass that hit him in the stomach?

Did Jesse James choke when he bobbled the ball sticking it out into the end zone?

Did Ben choke when he found James for what should have been the winning TD pass?

Come on.

- - - Updated - - -

Did AB choke when he dropped a touchdown pass that hit him in the stomach?

Did Jesse James choke when he bobbled the ball sticking it out into the end zone?

Did Ben choke when he found James for what should have been the winning TD pass?

Come on.

By the way, I'm not saying the NFL is fixed. I'm commenting on DesertSteel's post.

EzraTank
12-17-2017, 07:14 PM
I'm not afraid of this team in Foxboro.

Fuck the Patriots and the NFL. Clear pass interference on final play. Not enough evidence to overturn our TD.

The most important thing in the word now is to win the last two games and get a bye. Early reports say AB could be back by playoffs so getting an extra week off is critical.

fansince'76
12-17-2017, 07:15 PM

Fuck the Patriots and the NFL. Clear pass interference on final play. Not enough evidence to overturn our TD.

I'm not either. They're not all that. I just hope the Steelers are PISSED.

steelreserve
12-17-2017, 07:19 PM
It was a stupid rule AND incorrectly called. The Patriots lost the football game, and if you even spend a tenth of a second thinking Steelers fans are like the Seahawks because it's ok that some crackhead ref decided to make shit up, then I suggest you sign off, go get a Greyhound bus ticket to Boston and suck a fat dick.

GBMelBlount
12-17-2017, 07:21 PM
Was there conclusive evidence that the ball touched the ground? Seems like Jesse had his right under the ball.

Also, Rogers got mugged on the last play and zero mention from the booth.

AGREED.

I do not believe there was conclusive evidence.

SteelMayhem72
12-17-2017, 07:23 PM
wasnt the spread 3??? 2.5 for pats???

Hawkman
12-17-2017, 07:23 PM
It was a stupid rule AND incorrectly called. The Patriots lost the football game, and if you even spend a tenth of a second thinking Steelers fans are like the Seahawks because it's ok that some crackhead ref decided to make shit up, then I suggest you sign off, go get a Greyhound bus ticket to Boston and suck a fat dick.

That’s sayin something right there.

Steeldude
12-17-2017, 07:24 PM
How's that not a touchdown!? He catch it, got down, got up and broke the plane and then he lost control! If that's not a football move, I don't know what is!

Because he didn't catch it. Ball touched the ground because he couldn't control the catch.

Craic
12-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Had a reply typed out.

Erased it.

Just ain't worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Because he didn't catch it. Ball touched the ground because he couldn't control the catch.

Did it? I was at a restaurant so I couldn't tell. It didn't look to me like it did, at least, that the ground didn't cause the ball to move or the ball wasn't moving when it touched the ground. But, like I said, I didn't have a good vantage point. As for the call about going to the ground, that was the correct call. I was just unsure about it touching or not.

tube517
12-17-2017, 07:29 PM

Either call it a TD or don't call it. End of fucking story.

No consistency. Go back to the original rule of a completion.

Hawkman
12-17-2017, 07:30 PM
Hey now here’s a fix is in idea......The real reason that Gronk wasn’t suspended for more than one game for that EXTREMLY blatant out bounds hit two weeks ago is he would have missed that game tonight, and there is no way they win tonight without him.

SteelMayhem72

The most important thing in the word now is to win the last two games and get a bye. Early reports say AB could be back by playoffs so getting an extra week off is critical.

Gonna be easier said than done...after this emotional loss there will be a carryover. Browns always play us tough and I wouldnt be surprised they get their first win against us the last game of the season. Yes we won the division and are in the playoffs but do i think there is a chance we drop down to the number 4 seed and no first round bye? I absolutely see this being the more possible scenario

86WARD
I'm not either. They're not all that. I just hope the Steelers are PISSED.

I’ve been saying it all season, they aren’t that good...they just win and win against good teams. The Steelers are a far better team on paper...far better...

Coaching...

fansince'76
12-17-2017, 07:32 PM

Exactly. Watch the same fucking thing happen to someone else next week and it NOT get overturned.

SteelMayhem72
12-17-2017, 07:35 PM
Hey now here’s a fix is in idea......The real reason that Gronk wasn’t suspended for more than one game for that EXTREMLY blatant out bounds hit two weeks ago is he would have missed that game tonight, and there is no way they win tonight without him.

Oh I agree...gronk should have never been in this game...people can say all they want about the NFL not being fixed but when there is no consistency across the board on the rules,suspensions,etc then how can you not think its fixed???? NFL is getting to be pro wrestling...there is always story lines during the season but they make THEIR own story lines for the season!

st33lersguy
Whining like Seawhiner fans, blame the refs for completely choking the game away

Craic
I’ve been saying it all season, they aren’t that good...they just win and win against good teams. The Steelers are a far better team on paper...far better...

Cheating with video...
Cheating with deflated balls...
Cheating with faulty radio equipment...
Cheating by flattening a QBs learning curve through the first three entries so the latter of his career isn't spent unlearning the mistakes from his first half like all the other QBs have had to go through...

Fixed that for you.

SteelerFanInStl
12-17-2017, 07:37 PM

That's the problem with the NFL. There's no consistency on ANYTHING! Last week the Dolphins beat up on the Pats because their DBs were allowed to play physical. The refs didn't call anything. This week, it's a whole different story.

Watch what happens to Thomas Davis of the Panthers. He took out Devante Adams today with a vicious blind side crack back block directly to his helmet. It was a much worse hit than JuJu's. How much do you want to bet that he won't even get suspended? I'm just waiting for that to get completely passed over by the NFL.

SteelMayhem72
12-17-2017, 07:38 PM
If chiefs win their division and I think we would be number 3 seed of course comes down to what we do the last 2 games

Mojouw
12-17-2017, 07:38 PM
https://deadspin.com/why-wasnt-sterling-shepards-catch-ruled-a-catch-1818735685

not fixed. Just dumb.

Craic
12-17-2017, 07:39 PM

Yeah, i don't think anyone's going to argue with you on that one.

Personally, I think the rule of a completion makes a lot of sense in the field of play. However, it should be treated like a runner who fumbles when it comes to the goal line or going out of bounds. If the person had the ball in his hands when he crosses the goal line or goes out of bounds, it's a catch (with the caveat that if he's in the air, he has to touch a bodypart or two feet to the ground while still having control of the ball.

fansince'76
12-17-2017, 07:40 PM
If chiefs win their division and I think we would be number 3 seed of course comes down to what we do the last 2 games

Best the Chiefs can do is 10-6. We've already won 11.

Craic
12-17-2017, 07:41 PM
That's the problem with the NFL. There's no consistency on ANYTHING! Last week the Dolphins beat up on the Pats because their DBs were allowed to play physical. The refs didn't call anything. This week, it's a whole different story.

Watch what happens to Thomas Davis of the Panthers. He took out Devante Adams today with a vicious blind side crack back block directly to his helmet. It was a much worse hit than JuJu's. How much do you want to bet that he won't even get suspended? I'm just waiting for that to get completely passed over by the NFL.

Nope. The league's actions on suspensions are completely fair—they even said so. :rolleyes: (He probably won't be fined either because it wasn't a primetime nationally televised game.)

steelreserve
12-17-2017, 07:43 PM

Stretching out for the goal line is not something that it's possible to do if you don't have control of the ball. Play was over as soon as it crossed the goal line. Unless they want to stand logic on its head, which even though they obviously do on a regular basis, doesn't make it any more correct.

For example, a 10-4 team is now the top seed in the AFC ahead of a 12-2 team, yet somehow that's normal. Great for a laugh but not so much for credibility.

Had a reply typed out.

Erased it.

Just ain't worth it.

You're right, that was a good call on your part.

dislocatedday
12-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Stretching out for the goal line is not something that it's possible to do if you don't have control of the ball. Play was over as soon as it crossed the goal line. Unless they want to stand logic on its head, which even though they obviously do on a regular basis, doesn't make it any more correct.

That is the part I struggle with on the call. He caught it then moved the ball forward and stuck the ball out across the goal line. It seemed to me to be a football move and he was a runner at that point.

These calls do happen though, and the rule is open to interpretation. In that situation tonight though, in that big of a game, it gets magnified greatly.

86WARD
12-17-2017, 08:21 PM

Grimble has more of a football move though. James didn’t really have a move did he?

DesertSteel
12-17-2017, 08:26 PM
Grimble has more of a football move though. James didn’t really have a move did he?
A drop to the knee and a stretch. It's on James for not holding on. Now wait... it's Haley's fault. My bad.

86WARD
12-17-2017, 08:29 PM
A drop to the knee and a stretch. It's on James for not holding on. Now wait... it's Haley's fault. My bad.

I think that’s all considered part of the catching motion. Where Grimble made a catch, ran, touched hand to ground and dove...

Craic
12-17-2017, 09:52 PM
You're right, that was a good call on your part.
???

Can't tell if your being serious, or being an ass and taking a run at me.

That is the part I struggle with on the call. He caught it then moved the ball forward and stuck the ball out across the goal line. It seemed to me to be a football move and he was a runner at that point.

These calls do happen though, and the rule is open to interpretation. In that situation tonight though, in that big of a game, it gets magnified greatly.

From what I understand, the issue here isn't whether it was a football move or not. The issue is that his momentum was taking him to the ground the entire time. He used his knee as a pivot point to redirect his body, but his momentum was still taking him to the ground. So, until he either breaks that momentum or hits the ground with complete control of the football, he has not yet caught the ball (according to the rules, again AFAIK).

dislocatedday
12-17-2017, 09:57 PM
Well, anybody watching the Cowboys Raiders game right now and see the catch just made by Seth Roberts that was reviewed? He lost control of the ball going to ground (not in endzone) and got full control again but not until after ball hit the ground.

It was upheld as a catch in this case........no consistency in the referee calls.

fansince'76
12-17-2017, 10:01 PM
Well, anybody watching the Cowboys Raiders game right now and see the catch just made by Seth Roberts that was reviewed? He lost control of the ball going to ground (not in endzone) and got full control again but not until after ball hit the ground.

It was upheld as a catch in this case........no consistency in the referee calls.

LOL - I thought it would be at least a week before a completely contradictory call would be made. Turns out it was barely a few hours. But, not surprised one bit.

Yeah, they would have made the same ruling had it been Gronk. :rolleyes:

SteelerFanInStl
12-17-2017, 10:16 PM

Unbelievable!!! I just watched a replay of that play and Roberts never did have control of that ball, all the way to the ground, and yet they give him a catch.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017121711/2017/REG15/Cowboys@Raiders?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2017121711#menu=drivechart%7CcontentId%3A0ap300000 0894964&tab=videos

fansince'76
12-17-2017, 10:22 PM
Unbelievable!!! I just watched a replay of that play and Roberts never did have control of that ball, all the way to the ground, and yet they give him a catch.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017121711/2017/REG15/Cowboys@Raiders?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2017121711#menu=drivechart%7CcontentId%3A0ap300000 0894964&tab=videos

Unreal. How was that a catch, after James' wasn't?

Mojouw
12-17-2017, 10:51 PM
Unreal. How was that a catch, after James' wasn't?

The end zone kicks in a whole different set of standards and rule interpretations that were inserted after the Dez Bryant and Calvin Johnson stuff a few seasons ago.

For some reason the NFL has one set of standards for field of play and another for the end zone. Stupid.

Also both were bad calls.

tube517
12-18-2017, 04:29 AM

Count Steeler
12-18-2017, 04:50 AM
Anyone care to wager the likelihood that the ruling on the field would have stayed the same if the player was wearing a white #87 jersey?

And has Rogers had his jersey returned to him from the play in the end zone? Surprised he didn't get flagged for a jersey violation.

Mojouw
12-18-2017, 11:01 AM
Time for my annual rant on how the NFL isn't fixed - it is just dumb (the league that is)! I thought I wouldn't get it in this year. So excited!

How do you keep the massive # of people that would need to be involved quiet?

1. The committee of folks in the league office that would need to review each week and each season to design and implement the "Script". So like any corporate committee, that's 3-6 people.
2. The individual game referees. That is 7 people per game.
3. The replay officials onsite and in the league office. Figure that is another dozen or so people.

So that is a conservative estimate of roughly 100-120 people that the NFL has to annually ensure that it somehow compensates more than the extremely lucrative book deal, criminal immunity, and notoriety would be for blowing the whistle on all this. Now for a $13 billion dollar industry, the certainly have some cash to throw around. But that much cash? Figure multiple millions to each person. Each year. How do you hide that? Where would the paid off folks even be able to spend it? Surely the IRS would notice if a lawyer by day and NFL ref by night suddenly went from living like they pulled in hundreds of thousands to low millions per year to all of the money. It is one of the primary ways the Feds catch criminals - unexplained funding. So for this to work, we have to figure out how the NFL can pay off all the people it would need to be intimately involved in the "fix" without anyone noticing they are being paid off. Can it happen once here or there, absolutely. But someone like Ed Hochuli has been officiating for 27 seasons. Where did he hide his $100 million and why would you participate in an illegal enterprise that allows you no benefit?

For the sake of fun, let us all assume that the "fix" really is in. The conspirators have conspired and all sworn a blood oath or something. Why would the league screw the Steelers? In fact, the Steelers are one of the exact few franchises in the league that you would want to succeed. They sell tons of merchandise. Their massive fan base buys tickets (an increasing problem for every team is slumping ticket sales) and shows up in stadiums all across the league. They are TV Ratings gold. Their roster is star-laden and easy to market. The league has no incentive to fix games against the Steelers. Unless the fix was so the league didn't make money...

Finally in a "fixed" league, why the hell would the NFL have an AFC playoff picture featuring the turds that are the Ravens, Chiefs (they may be turning it around), and Chargers? AFC wildcard weekend is shaping up to feature some pretty bad teams!

DesertSteel
12-18-2017, 11:13 AM
Time for my annual rant on how the NFL isn't fixed - it is just dumb! I thought I wouldn't get it in this year. So excited!

How do you keep the massive # of people that would need to be involved quiet?
It's obviously fixed, bro. Last year the league and the Pats were in cahoots on Brady's 4-game suspension. They conspired to give him 4 games rest so that he'd be fresh for the playoffs.

Mojouw
12-18-2017, 11:25 AM
It's obviously fixed, bro. Last year the league and the Pats were in cahoots on Brady's 4-game suspension. They conspired to give him 4 games rest so that he'd be fresh for the playoffs.

Nope. The league is inconsistent, dumb, and maddening but I honestly believe it is not fixed. Too many ways for the "fix" to out. In all major pro sports that "fixes" have happened, it has always come out.

86WARD
12-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Clarence Beeks

Craic
12-18-2017, 11:46 AM
Nope. The league is inconsistent, dumb, and maddening but I honestly believe it is not fixed. Too many ways for the "fix" to out. In all major pro sports that "fixes" have happened, it has always come out.

Hey, I think you missed his sarcasm font.

Mojouw
12-18-2017, 11:49 AM
Hey, I think you missed his sarcasm font.

Okay! My apologies! I should've realized that. I think my sarcasm detector is just broken.

EzraTank
12-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Clarence Beeks

You have the crop report!

Born2Steel
12-18-2017, 12:25 PM
Clarence Beeks

Such an under-rated movie, IMO.

steelreserve
12-18-2017, 12:40 PM
Time for my annual rant on how the NFL isn't fixed - it is just dumb (the league that is)! I thought I wouldn't get it in this year. So excited!

Yeah, it is pretty far-fetched that the league is "fixed." The more people it takes to be involved in a conspiracy, the higher the probability of it unraveling. Anything beyond, like, a small handful of people means the probability of it being exposed is roughly 100%.

On the other hand, is it possible to have one guy who doesn't know what a touchdown is? Or one guy who doesn't know what a touchdown is and also has a hard-on for the Patriots, so he's made the same call more than once in recent weeks? Or maybe for a fair cross-section of officials to subconsciously favor a team because they are impressed with them?

Those all seem more within the realm of possibility. "LeBron gets the calls" is not just something they made up. Hell, there was a study done once that showed a huge difference between the number of fouls/penalties called on teams wearing light uniforms and dark uniforms (teams wearing red and black got significantly more penalties, if I remember right).

At any rate, fixed ... idiotic ... same difference, I care about results. And the result was that they fucked up. And another result is that EVERY time I have to watch the Patriots, there is at least one game-altering play that either has to do with the officiating or with unbelievable luck (which also often involves something like the play being allowed to continue well after it would normally be over, or a huge break for the other team being called off because the whistle blew, or some such horsecrap).

So, fixed? No. Biased? I'd say so.

Born2Steel
12-18-2017, 12:41 PM
My dog is 'fixed'.

Mojouw
12-18-2017, 01:13 PM
Yeah, it is pretty far-fetched that the league is "fixed." The more people it takes to be involved in a conspiracy, the higher the probability of it unraveling. Anything beyond, like, a small handful of people means the probability of it being exposed is roughly 100%.

On the other hand, is it possible to have one guy who doesn't know what a touchdown is? Or one guy who doesn't know what a touchdown is and also has a hard-on for the Patriots, so he's made the same call more than once in recent weeks? Or maybe for a fair cross-section of officials to subconsciously favor a team because they are impressed with them?

Those all seem more within the realm of possibility. "LeBron gets the calls" is not just something they made up. Hell, there was a study done once that showed a huge difference between the number of fouls/penalties called on teams wearing light uniforms and dark uniforms (teams wearing red and black got significantly more penalties, if I remember right).

At any rate, fixed ... idiotic ... same difference, I care about results. And the result was that they fucked up. And another result is that EVERY time I have to watch the Patriots, there is at least one game-altering play that either has to do with the officiating or with unbelievable luck (which also often involves something like the play being allowed to continue well after it would normally be over, or a huge break for the other team being called off because the whistle blew, or some such horsecrap).

So, fixed? No. Biased? I'd say so.

I'll buy some of that. I think it is ludicrous that a $13 billion industry does not employ a cohort of full time refs. Refs should be far younger, rigorously tested, and in a year round program. This vestigial set-up from the early days of the league where refs are also respected businessmen who call games also needs to end.

stillers4me
12-19-2017, 10:53 AM

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-19-2017, 11:37 AM
NFL has been fix for decades because of Vegas and the point spreads. In the last 20 years I truly believe it is fixed by it's own doing trying to get Peyton and Brady in the big game each year for ratings. Or the feel good story like the Saints after Hurricane Katrina .

vasteeler
12-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Ugh....it's not fixed

12-19-2017, 12:00 PM
Ugh....it's not fixed No not all, not that there is anything wrong with it.

plenewken
12-19-2017, 12:13 PM

"By rule, when a receiver with possession of the ball is in the act of going to the ground and performs a second act by reaching out to break the plane, that completes the process of the catch and the ball is dead when it breaks the plane." Mike Pereira VP of officiating.

12-19-2017, 12:20 PM
"By rule, when a receiver with possession of the ball is in the act of going to the ground and performs a second act by reaching out to break the plane, that completes the process of the catch and the ball is dead when it breaks the plane." Mike Pereira VP of officiating. Mike Pereira is a ahole and attention whore making the big bucks now kissing ass.

BostonBlackie
12-20-2017, 02:36 PM
"By rule, when a receiver with possession of the ball is in the act of going to the ground and performs a second act by reaching out to break the plane, that completes the process of the catch and the ball is dead when it breaks the plane." Mike Pereira VP of officiating.

Mike Pereira‏Verified account @MikePereira (https://twitter.com/MikePereira) Dec 17 (https://twitter.com/MikePereira/status/942551256693743616)
Look, here is the rule. If you’re going to the ground you have to hold onto the ball when the ball hits the ground…Going to the ground trumps lunging/reaching to try and get extra yards or score a TD. You do that at your own risk. It’s incomplete...

https://twitter.com/mikepereira?lang=en

This had zero to do with the refs, or the Patriots, or the Steelers. The refs made the right call according to the rule. If you want to get mad at someone, get made at the rules committee that drew the rule up.

12-20-2017, 07:48 PM
Mike Pereira‏Verified account @MikePereira (https://twitter.com/MikePereira) Dec 17 (https://twitter.com/MikePereira/status/942551256693743616)
Look, here is the rule. If you’re going to the ground you have to hold onto the ball when the ball hits the ground…Going to the ground trumps lunging/reaching to try and get extra yards or score a TD. You do that at your own risk. It’s incomplete...

https://twitter.com/mikepereira?lang=en

This had zero to do with the refs, or the Patriots, or the Steelers. The refs made the right call according to the rule. If you want to get mad at someone, get made at the rules committee that drew the rule up. Mike is the leagues puppet and could careless what he says. He is their yes man and would never go against the league ruling. Since he has been around the last couple years shows these calls are getting out of hand. The league need a mouthpiece to try to defend these call and Mike was there choice.