PDA

View Full Version : Key to Beating Patriots?

GBMelBlount
12-11-2017, 08:52 AM
Go.

polamalubeast
12-11-2017, 08:53 AM
situation football(red zone,3rd down,etc.)

vasteeler
12-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Going to have to score a lot of points .

DesertSteel
12-11-2017, 09:12 AM
Ben have his 4th 500 yard game.

SteelMember
12-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Defense...

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2017, 09:21 AM
red zone offense and defense. were still ranked low in both i believe

43Hitman
12-11-2017, 09:26 AM
The biggest concern for me after last night is how easily they got to the edge with their running game. This could be a big problem next week with the speed that NE has, even when JH was in there last night he had a hard time setting the edge. On one play I saw VW pass him to make the tackle and JH had a 5 yard head start. That is not good, and as much as I love JH and what he's done for us, he just doesn't have the speed anymore and that's a big problem and probably the primary reason we haven't been seeing him much this year.

EzraTank
12-11-2017, 09:42 AM
1. They need to get a push up the middle and force Brady to move side to side. If Brady has any weakness that is one of them. But in order to do that you need great pass rushers and guys that can cover man to man long enough. We have neither at this moment so #2 & #3 may be our only hope. Brady does not pass well on the move. If you can make him move (not just step up) his efficiency goes way down.

2. Have a run game that can EAT clock. It's simple, control the ball and you limit Brady's ability to score. If you can put together 3-4 long drives that end in TD's (not FG's) and eat a lot of clock up, you help your chances immensely. We have the ability to do this but we are simply not consistent enough at it.

3. Score a lot of points. The last few games we've been better at this but unless Ben puts another 500 yard game up with no INT's trying to run and gun with the Pats usually equals loss.

4. Win the turnover battle. It sounds silly but if we can turn the ball over and protect it we will win.

5. Get lucky. Yep you need some weird bounces to go your way. Tipped balls that get picked, muffed punts, etc ...

6. The right officials. If we can finally get a decent crew that isn't 90 years old and blind I like our chances in this department. The last two crews we have had were the proverbial WORST out there.

ETL
12-11-2017, 10:25 AM
You have to hit Brady early - even if it risks a penalty - he has to know that this is a physical game. The Pats play finesse football. Just blitz him early and smack him. Give up some points but just smack him

- - - Updated - - -

Also - Sean Davis needs to shadow Gronk. If Shazier was playing - he could have covered Gronk but none of our LBs can cover him

AtlantaDan
12-11-2017, 10:26 AM
You have to hit Brady early - even if it risks a penalty - he has to know that this is a physical game. The Pats play finesse football. Just blitz him early and smack him. Give up some points but just smack him

Agreed - Brady has been getting hit much more often this season and he likes it less than ever

But this is the highest profile regular season game of the year and the word will come down from Goodell that the league needs to make the game "safer" by throwing flags whenever Brady is hit

Born2Steel
12-11-2017, 10:49 AM
DBs will need to step it up. LBs HAVE TO get home on pass rushes, offense needs to play mistake free.

Regular season matchup doesn't mean as much as is being hyped. #1 or #2 seed are both at home for the 1st playoff game anyway. I don't like the Pats chances against the Chargers, Ravens, Chiefs, or Jags. I think they will roll the Titans(Lebeau). I like us against the Pats in the playoffs too, our house or theirs. Our concern in this playoffs is Chargers, Jags, or a rematch with the Ravens. We seem to have the Chief's number, plus the Titans won't scare anyone in this playoff year.

Goal #1 make the playoffs. Check
Goal #2 win the North. Check
Goal #3 win a home playoff game. Check
Goal #4 win a first round bye. Check
Goal #5 win homefield throughout. We'll know Sunday evening.

Mojouw
12-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Totally different ILBs? VW, Moats, and Spence were targeted and exposed by the Ravens on almost every play. All 3 are too slow (at least right now) in recognition and maybe even in physical ability, to flow to the edge, fight through traffic, and make plays against a nimble RB on the perimeter. That is where the Pats offense lives. The whole point of their RB rotation is to force those kinds of match-ups and exploit just that type of weakness.

So, unless Butler has a way to scheme around that or a massive line-up change, or Spence just needed a week to knock the rust off, etc -- this is going to be a bloodbath.

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2017, 10:55 AM
No one out of the ILB's was as bad as Spence. I almost missed Matakevich watching him try to tackle Collins

Mojouw
12-11-2017, 11:01 AM
No one out of the ILB's was as bad as Spence. I almost missed Matakevich watching him try to tackle Collins

Fair enough. But Moats really struggled to disengage from blockers and fight through traffic from the ILB position. That was surprising, as he is usually able to readily fill his gap and find a path to the ball-carrier at OLB. Different position, different viewpoint I guess. But he got "blocked" on a ton of plays by simply being caught up in traffic.

VW is never going to win a footrace to the edge against Collins. So that wasn't too surprising.

Spence looks like a guy who hasn't played meaningful football in how long? And was sitting at home on his couch for a reason rather then being on a roster somewhere.

I still say that Harrison at OLB and Watt at ILB is the best way to get the best athletes on the field in base. The coverages may get dicey, but if you can't stop the run -- who cares about coverages?

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Fair enough. But Moats really struggled to disengage from blockers and fight through traffic from the ILB position. That was surprising, as he is usually able to readily fill his gap and find a path to the ball-carrier at OLB. Different position, different viewpoint I guess. But he got "blocked" on a ton of plays by simply being caught up in traffic.

VW is never going to win a footrace to the edge against Collins. So that wasn't too surprising.

Spence looks like a guy who hasn't played meaningful football in how long? And was sitting at home on his couch for a reason rather then being on a roster somewhere.

I still say that Harrison at OLB and Watt at ILB is the best way to get the best athletes on the field in base. The coverages may get dicey, but if you can't stop the run -- who cares about coverages?

Yeah we need to figure out who's playing ILB next to VW and who's playing CB in Haden's stead fast.

I like the idea of Harrison at his normal ROLB spot and Watt at ILB as well. But I think Watt flipping over to LOLB more frequently with Harrison across from him is a viable strategy as well. TJ's been doing that for stretches at a time anyways, starting with I believe the 1st bengals game. he looks like a really ambidextrous pass rusher. looked comfortable on that side when he ended the game on the strip sack

Rotorhead
12-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Can't fault Spence for being rusty, he came off his couch to play his first game in less than a week. Hopefully he will be that much better next week. Any word on Haden's return, was hoping for that this week but looks like a big no. I can see us playing with Gay in the box more often, we need someone to break up those crossing patterns (Hilton maybe) for the NE game. Putting Gay in and using Hilton as the slot cover guy fills in the middle. I would like someone to jam Gronk off the line to slow him up a little.

zulater
12-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Don't beat yourself. Believe! If you can put up 500+ yards and 39 points against the Ravens you can do the same to the Patriots. The Steelers offense lets the Patriots get in their head and under perform whenever they line up against that team! Do what you're capable of offensively and the rest will fall in place. Put it this way. If we score 35+ against them and lose you take your hat off to them and hope a team that matches up with them better takes them out in the playoffs. But in my opinion if the offense puts on their big boy pants and gets the job done , at some point the defense will step up and force a critical turnover or make the timely sack and we'll stir the Heinz field faithful to a frenzy and come out with the W!:tt02:

Craic
12-11-2017, 11:39 AM
DBs will need to step it up. LBs HAVE TO get home on pass rushes, offense needs to play mistake free.

Regular season matchup doesn't mean as much as is being hyped. #1 or #2 seed are both at home for the 1st playoff game anyway. I don't like the Pats chances against the Chargers, Ravens, Chiefs, or Jags. I think they will roll the Titans(Lebeau). I like us against the Pats in the playoffs too, our house or theirs. Our concern in this playoffs is Chargers, Jags, or a rematch with the Ravens. We seem to have the Chief's number, plus the Titans won't scare anyone in this playoff year.

Goal #1 make the playoffs. Check
Goal #2 win the North. Check
Goal #3 win a home playoff game. Check
Goal #4 win a first round bye. Check
Goal #5 win homefield throughout. We'll know Sunday evening.

Not quite. We haven't yet won a first round bye. We need to win all but one game here on out, or lose two games, but have the winner of the Jags/Titans game lose another game in order to win a first round bye.

As for the key to beating the Patriots. That's easy. Change the signals and make sure all footballs are properly inflated.

SteelMember
12-11-2017, 11:42 AM
As for the key to beating the Patriots. That's easy. Change the signals and make sure all footballs are properly inflated.

And headsets... we're gonna need working headsets. :wink02:

smokin3000gt
12-11-2017, 11:50 AM
we need 7 points in the RZ. As soon as we start kicking 3's we've begun losing

SteelMember
12-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Oh, and don't forget to send someone to the Pats hotel and pull the fire alarm at 2am on game day...

Born2Steel
12-11-2017, 11:56 AM
Totally different ILBs? VW, Moats, and Spence were targeted and exposed by the Ravens on almost every play. All 3 are too slow (at least right now) in recognition and maybe even in physical ability, to flow to the edge, fight through traffic, and make plays against a nimble RB on the perimeter. That is where the Pats offense lives. The whole point of their RB rotation is to force those kinds of match-ups and exploit just that type of weakness.

So, unless Butler has a way to scheme around that or a massive line-up change, or Spence just needed a week to knock the rust off, etc -- this is going to be a bloodbath.

I'm more ok with this now though, than later. I don't think the Pats' defense is set up to stop us right now either. Both teams will run the ball, both will move the chains, and both will hit big plays down field. This should be a very competitive game. I like us at home, AND I believe our front 7 will put Brady on his back enough to force a mistake. I like Ben over Brady in this one.

st33lersguy
12-11-2017, 12:02 PM
1. Need Haden back, otherwise can't see them winning
2. Need to figure out the ILB issue now, the Pats will exploit that to their advantage
3. Run no huddle against them, I know it should be about clock eating drives and taking time off the clock, but the Steelers offense performs better in the no-huddle
4. Ball security and situational football, Patriots D has made a living off this, got to beat them at that
5. Pass rush and hitting Brady, which everyone knows already
6. Keep Sensashit out of the game
7. Coaching needs to step up it's game in all three phases

tube517
12-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Can't fault Spence for being rusty, he came off his couch to play his first game in less than a week. Hopefully he will be that much better next week. Any word on Haden's return, was hoping for that this week but looks like a big no. I can see us playing with Gay in the box more often, we need someone to break up those crossing patterns (Hilton maybe) for the NE game. Putting Gay in and using Hilton as the slot cover guy fills in the middle. I would like someone to jam Gronk off the line to slow him up a little.

Yeah, Spence playing all those snaps after being out a couple of months was surprising. I didn't think he would play that much. He was in on special teams as well.

tube517
12-11-2017, 12:36 PM
As Beano Cook once said, "In order to beat them you will have to outscore them!" :chuckle:

Dissolv
12-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Even if our D was at 100% strength, it still has enough flaws to expect the Pats to score -- a lot. As it is now, holding them to 30 points seems reasonable to me. The key to winning is a balls to the wall, take no prisoners style of offense that doesn't settle for a 20 point game. This is where we have faltered so much in this matchup. Everyone likes to point out the Zone scheme getting picked apart by Brady. And that is true.

But we also typically under perform for points as well. If this particular Steelers team wants to win against a team like the Pats, they need to match the Patriots score for score all the way, until they make a key mistake. Brady gets frustrated, their D gets tired, somebody runs the wrong route, something. And they will be there waiting for our guys to do the same. That's why this has the potential to be such an exciting matchup, just the sheer football excellence that might happen.

One thing though - - this is likely round 1. And our guys are younger, and have more room to learn than their guys. If we lose, but come away better prepared to win in the playoffs, I'll take that any day over the reverse.

Dissolv

DesertSteel
12-11-2017, 02:13 PM
I don't think there's any way that Haden returns. Just too soon. As for the state of the D. The NFL is a week to week league. Our D is not as bad as they showed against the Ravens but it's not top 3 either. That said, I'd say it's top 8 at full strength and about 13-15 without Haden and Shazier. The O will have to take over this game.

Mojouw
12-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Yeah we need to figure out who's playing ILB next to VW and who's playing CB in Haden's stead fast.

I like the idea of Harrison at his normal ROLB spot and Watt at ILB as well. But I think Watt flipping over to LOLB more frequently with Harrison across from him is a viable strategy as well. TJ's been doing that for stretches at a time anyways, starting with I believe the 1st bengals game. he looks like a really ambidextrous pass rusher. looked comfortable on that side when he ended the game on the strip sack

Honestly, unless a more detailed review of the game tape shows otherwise, the answer is staring the Steelers in the face -- Sutton. He looks leaps and bounds better than Sensabaugh to me. That being said, rookie defenders are prone to significant mental mistakes. But maybe not this rookie - as Teegre pointed out the kid is wicked smart. So who really knows?

steel striker
12-11-2017, 02:41 PM
They defense needs to limit them to 28-30 and, the Steelers have a good chance. Problem is after what we saw last night we might need another heroic performance from Ben, AB, Bell everybody on the offense.

GBMelBlount
12-11-2017, 02:50 PM
I think the keys will be:

1. Pressuring Brady

2. Turnovers

3. The offense scoring 30+

steelreserve
12-11-2017, 02:56 PM
I don't know, but I'd like to see them install some very loud and vulgar audibles for this game.

SteelMember
12-11-2017, 02:58 PM
Haven't heard a dilly, dilly again, but thought I heard a pringle... :noidea:

Count Steeler
12-11-2017, 03:05 PM

Yeah, I heard that as well.

stillers4me
12-11-2017, 03:10 PM

steelreserve
12-11-2017, 04:21 PM
"buttpluuuuuuuug! White 90! Dog nuts! Dog nuts! White 90! Brady buttpluuuuuuuug!"

That's more of the kind of thing I was thinking.

86WARD
12-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Suh injuring Brady?

Seriously though, the defense is going to give up yards and points so the offense is going to have to put up 40 points to win...no turnovers and take advantage of the opportunities they are given. Still thinking 45-20 Patriots. It’s going to be ugly...

teegre
12-11-2017, 04:45 PM
In order to get the #1 seed...

:director: MUST WHINE. CAN NO LOOSE!!!

Butch
12-11-2017, 06:29 PM
1. Line the pockets of go to hell and ply him with alcohol when he attends the next party thrown by Roonie
2. Bug their locker room
3. Have camera person setup behind their bench and film them intently
4. Deflate balls
5. wait for gronk to fall down then when he least expects it deliver a forarm shiver to the back of his helmet (Bonus it you do it to shady brady at the same time)
6. Have Ben fumble the ball but pay the refs to say he was only tucking it.
7. if it's snowing have a snow sweeper at the ready to clear a patch for Boz to kick from
8. Don't cut off signals to Ben's helmet when it's supposed to cut off (on 2nd thought don't do this Ben is much better on his own accord, instead do it for the D)
9. Jam their communications
10. Have someone pull the fire alarms at their hotel
11. Dog pile Shady brady and give him the "Business"

Did I miss anything?

Steelerette
12-11-2017, 09:00 PM
We need Vance out there throwing stone cold blocks. Call it Vance Refrigeration. I don't know how his shoulder is coming along but him playing is one of the keys to victory.

It's going to be a shootout. With Shazier and Haden out, we just don't have the tools to stop them all night. So we have to outscore them.

teegre
12-11-2017, 09:03 PM
We need Vance out there throwing stone cold blocks. Call it Vance Refrigeration. I don't know how his shoulder is coming along but him playing is one of the keys to victory.

It's going to be a shootout. With Shazier and Haden out, we just don't have the tools to stop them all night. So we have to outscore them.

:rofl2:

pepsyman1
12-11-2017, 09:40 PM
All I know is that I'm watching the lowly Dolphins give Brady all he can handle by sticking a body on everyone and making Brady run for his life. If the Steelers get beat by being aggressive so be it, but if they play the same type of bullshit gameplan they ran last year then they deserve to be crushed....The DOLPHINS..up by 17 and Teeing OFF on Brady!....fun to watch

Brady is such a wus when he's about to be it. Ben stands in there like Mt Everest, Brady starts bailing when he knows he's gonna get tagged.

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2017, 10:22 PM
If im reading these tiebreaking rules correctly, if the dolphins somehow hold onto a win tonight, and the steelers lose next week (then both clubs proceed to win out), then the steelers would still be the #2 seed correct?

It honestly seems like the outcome of this game is meaningless as long as both clubs win out after next weeks game

st33lersguy
12-11-2017, 10:23 PM
Watch Butler not learn a damn thing and do the same soft bullshit that's gotten them killed so many times, especially if Haden can't play.

teegre
12-11-2017, 10:24 PM
If im reading these tiebreaking rules correctly, if the dolphins somehow hold onto a win tonight, and the steelers lose next week (then both clubs proceed to win out), then the steelers would still be the #2 seed correct?

It honestly seems like the outcome of this game is meaningless as long as both clubs win out after next weeks game

Yep. I just tweeted that...

What is interesting is that the Taperiots can lose the Dolphins game, and still win the #1 seed.

Likewise, we can win on Sunday, and then lose another game... and still be the #1 seed.

If we both end I with the same record, the had-to-head game is the tie-breaker.

Next Sunday is HUGE.

Mojouw
12-11-2017, 10:24 PM

You got it.

Same record means first tie-breaker is head to head.

pepsyman1
12-11-2017, 10:28 PM
SEVEN 3 and outs for the Pats tonight. It's FUN watching Brady get pissed off and aggravated. Keith Butler, PLEASE take some notes.

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Yep. I just tweeted that...

What is interesting is that the Taperiots can lose the Dolphins game, and still win the #1 seed.

Likewise, we can win on Sunday, and then lose another game... and still be the #1 seed.

If we both end I with the same record, the had-to-head game is the tie-breaker.

Next Sunday is HUGE.

You got it.

Same record means first tie-breaker is head to head.

Thanks guys. I needed to blue ball myself before I head to bed

teegre
12-11-2017, 10:38 PM
Joking aside...

Does anyone else think that Belichick might have done the most Machiavellian thing ever, by throwing this game? Save all of his plays for the Steelers, and make the Steelers overconfident.

(This game is meaningless for the #1 seed.)

pepsyman1
12-11-2017, 10:43 PM
The moment the Dolphins went soft in their coverage scheme the Patriots went right down the field. LEARN from this guys! We gotta get in their face. The Dolphins made it work, they don't have our talent.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Joking aside...

Does anyone else think that Belichick might have done the most Machiavellian thing ever, by throwing this game? Save all of his plays for the Steelers, and make the Steelers overconfident.

No...cuz Brady is getting pounded. I can't imagine that Belichick would take that kind of chance with his prima donna QB

86WARD
12-11-2017, 10:47 PM
Brady doesn’t look right...

teegre
12-11-2017, 10:49 PM
No...cuz Brady is getting pounded. I can't imagine that Belichick would take that kind of chance with his prima donna QB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFxcJp2VQPU&app=desktop

st33lersguy
12-11-2017, 10:52 PM
One key to the game? Try to move the game to Miami. The Patriots have now lost 4 out of their last 5 in Miami. The AFC east may be a cakewalk for New England every year, but playing in Miami has been anything but that for New England in recent years

- - - Updated - - -

They need to hit Brady early, even if it draws a flag, there will be long term benefit from it as the game wears on

Iron Steeler
12-11-2017, 10:59 PM
Let Ben backyard it the whole way. The Patriots struggle against guys like Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, becuase theae players will keep drives alive with their feet and uncanny ability to elude rushers.

1.Ben extends some plays with his feet on crucial 3rd downs.
2. Tell Todd Haley we play on Monday.
3. Get Levy in the slot and run conner. New look they haven't seen film on.
4. Feed AB per usuaul.

5. Defense.... go to 10am Mass and pray.

- - - Updated - - -

6. Double TE set with James and Mcdonald seemed to do well... just keep swapping personal constantly to find mis matches.

j-d-s
12-11-2017, 11:05 PM
Joking aside...

I can think of games where he did it before (that OT game against the Jets I believe where he won the cointoss but gave the ball to them), but I don't think here. Because now, if New England loses against us, they lose the No. 1 seed for good (but we don't clinch unless JAX loses), but moreover, New Englands risks the Wildcard Bye. Because if the JAX wins out (they play HOU, @SF and @TEN) then JAX (and us) will be ahead of New England if they lose against us but win their remaining two games.

Craic
12-11-2017, 11:17 PM
And headsets... we're gonna need working headsets. :wink02:

:chuckle: Too true.

Oh, and don't forget to send someone to the Pats hotel and pull the fire alarm at 2am on game day...

Naa, wait until the AFCCG for that one!

Of course, I have to give credit where credit is due. The guy who did it was completely honest when he was arrested. It made me laugh. “I’m drunk. I’m stupid. I’m a Pats fan (https://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/23/14360510/patriots-fan-arraigned-for-pulling-fire-alarm-at-steelers-hotel-afc-championship).”

(of course, once he sobered up and heard the charges, he pled not guilty.)

- - - Updated - - -

Joking aside...

Holy crap . . . they lost??

BostonBlackie
12-11-2017, 11:35 PM
Joking aside...

No way. That was a legit loss.

Mojouw
12-11-2017, 11:37 PM
Great the Steelers get a pissed off Pats squad after two weeks of brutal attrition games.

Just won't be surprised if the Steelers have very little left in the tank next week.

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2017, 11:41 PM
Great the Steelers get a pissed off Pats squad after two weeks of brutal attrition games.

Just won't be surprised if the Steelers have very little left in the tank next week.

if its any consolation, the Patriots' record after a loss (.776) is virtually identical with their typical regular season record in general (.766): http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2017/09/how_have_bill_belichicks_patri_1.html

cubanstogie
12-11-2017, 11:58 PM

That was the worst game I've seen TB play. Damn, I enjoyed it too. What worries me is there speed at RB. Ravens got to edge all night and if Pats have success then it will open up passing game. Hayward didn't play last year so hopefully he can get pressure up the middle. Obviously Watt didn't play either so maybe this year we finally get to Marcia.

teegre
12-12-2017, 12:58 AM
I can think of games where he did it before (that OT game against the Jets I believe where he won the cointoss but gave the ball to them), but I don't think here. Because now, if New England loses against us, they lose the No. 1 seed for good (but we don't clinch unless JAX loses), but moreover, New Englands risks the Wildcard Bye. Because if the JAX wins out (they play HOU, @SF and @TEN) then JAX (and us) will be ahead of New England if they lose against us but win their remaining two games.

Holy crap!!!... you are right.

Let’s say we beat the Taperiots... and, even if we lose to the Texans or Browns, we would still end up 13-3.

The Taperiots and Jaguars can only get to 12-4.

But, because the Taperiots lost to 3 AFC teams and the Jaguars only lost to two AFC teams, the Jaguars would hold the tie-breaker over the Taperiots... and would get the #2 seed.

So, assuming we win on Sunday... Go Jaguars!!!

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-12-2017, 01:28 AM
Bell feed him in the run and passing game. Pats D have issues with shifty pass catching rbs, Hunt tore them up for over 200 yards and Drake put up close to that tonight on them. Oh and the obvious play man and get pressure up the middle on Brady. Hit him as much as possible.

fansince'76
12-12-2017, 04:35 AM

The Steelers need to adopt the mindset that the playoffs have already started and there is no next week.

I also hope the Steelers read this and get as pissed off as I did that the Patriots are already being handed the Lombardi Trophy by the sports media...

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/patriots-path-super-bowl-title-got-easier-wake-carson-wentz-injury-234149306.html

BostonBlackie
12-12-2017, 05:15 AM
The Patriots are out of gas.

- - - Updated - - -

The Steelers need to adopt the mindset that the playoffs have already started and there is no next week.

I also hope the Steelers read this and get as pissed off as I did that the Patriots are already being handed the Lombardi Trophy by the sports media...

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/patriots-path-super-bowl-title-got-easier-wake-carson-wentz-injury-234149306.html

Note the time that was written: Dec 11, 2017, 6:41 PM

Before the Miami game.

fansince'76
12-12-2017, 05:24 AM

Before the Miami game.

But that loss doesn't matter:

Patriots play their worst game in a long time, but it really doesn't matter (https://sports.yahoo.com/patriots-play-worst-game-long-time-really-doesnt-matter-045126071.html)

43Hitman
12-12-2017, 05:26 AM
The Patriots are out of gas.

- - - Updated - - -

Before the Miami game.

Hey BB, I just wanted to say since you've been here I've appreciated your humor and class. We've had a lot of Pats fans on our boards in the past and they didn't have the respect and class that you've shown. So thanks and keep posting around here. Admittedly I took you wrong a few times, well because I was expecting the typical Masshole fan. :lol: But that doesn't seem like the case with you. :drink:

- - - Updated - - -

But that loss doesn't matter:

Patriots play their worst game in a long time, but it really doesn't matter (https://sports.yahoo.com/patriots-play-worst-game-long-time-really-doesnt-matter-045126071.html)
yahoo sports...lol

stillers4me
12-12-2017, 05:34 AM

Buckinnuts
12-12-2017, 07:43 AM
pray that Haden starts..Sutton helps but keep Sensabaugh in the locker room

EzraTank
12-12-2017, 08:06 AM
pray that Haden starts..Sutton helps but keep Sensabaugh in the locker room

I just looked through the Patriots practice video and I don't see Haden practicing!

EzraTank
12-12-2017, 08:32 AM
Oh and with everyone talking about the Steelers/Pats ... don't forget the Jags. They have what neither the Pats or Steelers have, a legit championship defense. Yes they have Bortles but I've seen teams with game managing QB's win it all. The 2000 Ravens with Trent Dilfer, the 2002 Bucs with Brad Johnson come to mind. Both had ridiculous defenses that basically won games and allowed their journeymen QB's to win.

It would not surprise me to see the Jags win the Superbowl this year.

Steeldude
12-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Stop and get to Brady. Don't sit back with 10 yard cushions.

BostonBlackie
12-12-2017, 09:40 AM
Hey BB, I just wanted to say since you've been here I've appreciated your humor and class. We've had a lot of Pats fans on our boards in the past and they didn't have the respect and class that you've shown. So thanks and keep posting around here. Admittedly I took you wrong a few times, well because I was expecting the typical Masshole fan. :lol: But that doesn't seem like the case with you. :drink:

- - - Updated - - -

yahoo sports...lol

:drink:

DesertSteel
12-12-2017, 11:08 AM

Honestly I think they will be looking past the Patriots to the Browns game.

Buckinnuts
12-12-2017, 11:31 AM
I just looked through the Patriots practice video and I don't see Haden practicing!

he's back practicing anyways

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5631

teegre
12-12-2017, 02:24 PM

Yep. He’s not half bad. :nod:

Of course, the last Taperiots fan that seemed really cool, all of a sudden decided to start posting stuff about how Hitler was a great guy (but, just a little misunderstood).

Really.

86WARD
12-12-2017, 02:35 PM
Brady supposedly has a sore Achilles and that’s why his throws were off last week and last night.

Psycho Ward 86
12-12-2017, 02:49 PM
The Steelers are actually one of the best teams in the league now in 3rd down conversions offensively after the Ravens game (6th), The Patriots have been dropping over the season but they're still ranked (8th): http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12/steelers-patriots-trending-opposite-directions-third-offense/

In terms of 3rd down conversions allowed, were a little better (Steelers: 36.2%, Patriots: 39.3%)

Strangely enough after ranking last in so many defensive categories for so much of the season, the Patriots are now virtually even with us in scoring defense (19.3 vs. 19.2)

43Hitman
12-12-2017, 02:55 PM

Of course, the last Taperiots fan that seemed really cool, all of a sudden decided to start posting stuff about how Hitler was a great guy (but, just a little misunderstood).

Really.
Yeah, I remember him. A few Fruitloops short of a bowl of cereal. :lol:

tube517
12-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Really.

There was another poster called "The Patriot" that was alright. He was at SF and came here when this was formed. He was actually pretty cool but hasn't been seen much since Deflategate or maybe even before then.

43Hitman
12-12-2017, 03:02 PM
There was another poster called "The Patriot" that was alright. He was at SF and came here when this was formed. He was actually pretty cool but hasn't been seen much since Deflategate or maybe even before then.

Of course there was the infamous LITP...that was made a freaking mod at SF...what a nightmare that turned out to be.

AtlantaDan
12-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Of course there was the infamous LITP...that was made a freaking mod at SF...what a nightmare that turned out to be.

LOL - SFF around 2007 - 2008 was an entertaining train wreck with constant fires breaking out, with yours truly as one of the arsonists

With regard to the thread topic, one key is not giving Brady a short field to work with or starting drives after kickoffs inside the 20 - Belichick was one of the first to use popup kickoff to force runbacks after touchbacks were moved out from the 20 to the 25 to discourage runbacks

FWIW it appears the Bryant kickoff experiment is over

43Hitman
12-12-2017, 03:32 PM
LOL - SFF around 2007 - 2008 was an entertaining train wreck with constant fires breaking out, with yours truly as one of the arsonists

With regard to the thread topic, one key is not giving Brady a short field to work with or starting drives after kickoffs inside the 20 - Belichick was one of the first to use popup kickoff to force runbacks after touchbacks were moved out from the 20 to the 25 to discourage runbacks

FWIW it appears the Bryant kickoff experiment is over

That is actually a great strategy to employ since most teams have skimped on that position when the new rule was instated putting the ball on the 25 on touchbacks.

Psycho Ward 86
12-12-2017, 06:53 PM
it seems that the achilles hasnt been significantly bad up until the Buffalo game. Brady has missed practices and been limited in some the past 2 weeks.

Brady's internal clock is going to be sped up if he stays that way. I smell blood in the water

pczach
12-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Honestly, unless a more detailed review of the game tape shows otherwise, the answer is staring the Steelers in the face -- Sutton. He looks leaps and bounds better than Sensabaugh to me. That being said, rookie defenders are prone to significant mental mistakes. But maybe not this rookie - as Teegre pointed out the kid is wicked smart. So who really knows?

That's the great thing about man coverage. You just stick to your assigned coverage responsibility and you're golden. They have enough experience in the secondary to tell him which man to cover and how, even in bunch formations.

I'd love to see Sutton play in this game and see Allen get some experience maybe on Gronk for some reps. The more experience they get, the better they'll be in the next matchup.

DesertSteel
12-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Brady's internal clock is going to be sped up if he stays that way. I smell blood in the water
Brady as a sitting duck..... that's an idea that I like! Hopefully they turn TJ loose and also find reps for Deebo.

Born2Steel
12-12-2017, 07:37 PM
Let Bryant cover Gronk.

DesertSteel
12-12-2017, 08:38 PM
We need to go back to 2-way players. I bet a guy like AB could cover anybody.

GBMelBlount
12-12-2017, 08:48 PM
Jesse James?

tube517
12-12-2017, 08:54 PM
We need to go back to 2-way players. I bet a guy like AB could cover anybody.

Rosey Nix would bash heads on the defensive side (Converted LB)

teegre
12-12-2017, 08:55 PM
Rosey Nix would bash heads on the defensive side (Converted NT)

slight edit

DesertSteel
12-12-2017, 09:56 PM
We could definitely run TJ out as TE for 5-7 snaps on Sunday.

fansince'76
12-12-2017, 10:04 PM
Brady supposedly has a sore Achilles and that’s why his throws were off last week and last night.

Always some excuse. :rolleyes:

Devilsdancefloor
12-12-2017, 10:56 PM
1 hit brady early and often
2 smash gronk at the line
3 fraking tackle
4 get the killer b's going include bryant and let juju find the soft spot in the middle
5 no turnover (BEN YOU LISTENING!)

BostonBlackie
12-12-2017, 11:13 PM

He was a Brit wasn't he?

pepsyman1
12-13-2017, 02:51 AM
Listening to Sirius radio today and Pat Kirwin liked the same idea a number of us had: Slide Watt over to Shazier's spot and start Harrison with Chickallo subbing in on that side. I still think it's our best shot.

BlackAndGold
12-13-2017, 03:17 AM
1: Pressure up the middle on defense. Heyward, and Tuitt need to have great games.
2: Tackle. The Pats love to dump passes down to their RB, can not let them get big YAC(yards after contact). This is where the Pats are going to kill the defense Imo, the tackling on this defense is flat out awful.
3: Don't blow your coverages like they have the past few weeks or specifically like the AFCCG in January.
4: Control the clock on offense. I can see a lot of Bell and JuJu being used in the passing game. The Pats linebacker group isn't that good, expose them.
5: Don't turn the damn ball over.

43Hitman
12-13-2017, 04:29 AM
He was a Brit wasn't he?Yep

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

86WARD
12-13-2017, 05:34 AM
Can’t let Cooks get behind the defense...

Count Steeler
12-13-2017, 06:23 AM
Communicate, communicate, communicate. And score 1 point more than they do.

GBMelBlount
12-13-2017, 08:36 AM
Communicate, communicate, communicate.

And score 1 point more than they do.

I hear ya! :wink02:

Born2Steel
12-13-2017, 09:45 AM
Other than key injuries and/or suspensions, there is NOTHING about previous weeks this season, or even previous seasons, that will effect this game.

DesertSteel
12-13-2017, 09:49 AM
What??

steelreserve
12-13-2017, 01:06 PM
1. Kick Brady in the dick

2. He has no dick

3. Shit!

teegre
12-13-2017, 02:11 PM
What??

He said that commas are important.

GBMelBlount
12-13-2017, 02:15 PM

Right before his period.

teegre
12-13-2017, 02:16 PM
Right before his period.

Which brings us full circle back to steelreserve’s post...

GBMelBlount
12-13-2017, 02:18 PM

never get's old...:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-tYZkJ2p54

EzraTank
12-13-2017, 02:29 PM
Listening to Sirius radio today and Pat Kirwin liked the same idea a number of us had: Slide Watt over to Shazier's spot and start Harrison with Chickallo subbing in on that side. I still think it's our best shot.

There is no way Harrison can play a whole game anymore. At his age, regardless of his shape, he just can't.

Psycho Ward 86
12-13-2017, 06:04 PM
There is no way Harrison can play a whole game anymore. At his age, regardless of his shape, he just can't.

see, people keep saying this like they have in 2015 and 2016, but Harrison keeps showing that he actually can play a whole game, and at a high level to boot. I was among the doubters, but not this time around. there's no reason Harrison shouldnt be able to sink his teeth into at least a generous share of snaps

SteelerFanInStl
12-13-2017, 07:11 PM

Never count James Harrison out. He will prove you wrong.

DesertSteel
12-13-2017, 07:22 PM
Never count James Harrison out. He will prove you wrong.
I agree. Harrison can play a whole game. Gimme a break. In January he tore the Chiefs apart and then landed at 4am to go to the gym.

vasteeler
12-13-2017, 08:42 PM

You just had to bring that clown up:buttkick:

43Hitman
12-13-2017, 08:50 PM
You just had to bring that clown up:buttkick::chuckle:

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

T&B fan
12-14-2017, 05:54 PM
after reading the headline in this thread ...... SCORE MORE POINTS .STOP NE FROM SCORNING ....
:doh:

DesertSteel
12-14-2017, 05:58 PM
Practice update: JuJu tweaks hammy and Butler says, Haden "looks good to me."

Devilsdancefloor
12-14-2017, 09:52 PM

What??

Right before his period.

i see what'cha done thar!

st33lersguy
12-14-2017, 10:10 PM
One key to the game: Strap Todd Haley to a chair in the press box, put duct tape over him and let Ben run the show. Defensively, the presence of Haden (if he plays) will increase the chances that Butler and Tomlin will be more aggressive against Tom Lady

tube517
12-15-2017, 04:58 AM
http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/miami-dolphins-made-new-england-patriots-look-just-another-team-how-did-happen

Dolphins made Patriots look like just another team. How did that happen?

GBMelBlount
12-15-2017, 05:46 AM
http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/miami-dolphins-made-new-england-patriots-look-just-another-team-how-did-happen

Dolphins made Patriots look like just another team. How did that happen?

Two major strategies Miami employed that were key to winning were:

The defense pressuring the middle of the Patriots offensive line so Brady cannot step up in the pocket and

bunch formations on offense.

I would imagine we can do these things.

However, having Gronk back can change the entire complexion of the game.

Also, are we good enough to go man to man coverage on defense?

Born2Steel
12-15-2017, 08:01 AM
I can't believe that after the last 2 games, some of you are worried about this week. I get the #1 seed is riding on this. But we have locked up the division, round 1 is home no matter what. This will be the easiest of the last 3.

Devilsdancefloor
12-15-2017, 11:45 AM
Two major strategies Miami employed that were key to winning were:

The defense pressuring the middle of the Patriots offensive line so Brady cannot step up in the pocket and

bunch formations on offense.

I would imagine we can do these things.

However, having Gronk back can change the entire complexion of the game.

Also, are we good enough to go man to man coverage on defense?

yes, i beleive they are not have shazier hurts against gronk all i want to tell butler is PLEASE for the love of god do not put gay on gronk!

Shoes
12-15-2017, 12:06 PM
The key is in their hand. Make room for SB trophy #7! Its going to happen.

Iron Steeler
12-15-2017, 12:32 PM

Hahaha this little string of thread is hilarious.

Mojouw
12-15-2017, 02:11 PM
Pretty simple and without Shazier it never happens:

1. Stop the Pats RBs. More so than even Gronk, these guys are what the Pats use to create issues for a defense. They stretch teams horizontally to open seams for Gronk, Cooks, and Hogan downfield. Just when you get tired of that, they hammer you with power running. Shazier's speed and quick identification abilities would have gone a long way to neutralizing this. Fort, Spence, VW, and Moats just can't do the same things on the field. This will be a massive task for Butler to scheme his way out of. I suspect that he isn't up to it.

2. Deal with multiple vertical routes to the same side of the field. The Pats love to run off safeties and corners with Cooks and Hogan and then hit you with Gronk in behind that. Communication in the secondary is the only chance of dealing with this. With Sutton and Haden likely rotating out there and a newly minted dime defense post-Shazier injury -- I don't feel very good about there not being at least a handful of breakdowns that lead to chunk plays.

3. Bunch formations to beat man coverage or even zone-man. The Pats have been running these out there to stop teams from lining up and bullying their Non-Gronkowski receivers at the line. Steelers fans should be familiar with the power of these kinds of formations as the Steelers have been killing teams with that triple stack for years. Again, communication and coordination in the coverage units will be a key. Butler should be able to "solve" this one as it is a puzzle the Steelers should be familiar with.

So 2 out of 3, I do not think that the Steelers are currently well positioned to deal with. I simply do not think the Shazier injury can be over-stated. He was the only player on the roster that was integral to every defensive formation (base and ALL sub packages). Many of the things that the Steelers ran seemed to lean on Shazier's skill set to make them work. I just don't think that a one week crash course for Moats and Spence (FWIW I believe Spence got a ton of snaps against the Ravens in a desperate attempt to get him back up to speed rather than the Steelers simply hating on LJ Fort. Fort got the crunch time snaps. Something to think about moving forward!) with Fort in the wings is going to cut it. This is going to be a trial and error process over the rest of the season for Butler and company to figure out what they can and can not make work.

Bottom line - Week 15 Steelers are not set-up to beat the Pats. Play off Steelers in an AFCCG -- yes, if Butler does work.

Steeldude
12-15-2017, 04:08 PM
The Steelers will most likely need to put up 42+ points to win. I can't see that defense stopping Brady.

pczach
12-16-2017, 01:58 PM
The dream scenario would be for the offense to score on their first six possessions with at least three touchdowns. Jump on them early and just keep attacking all game. DO NOT take the foot off the gas!

It would be great for our offense to dominate them all day long and make them play desperately. Hit Brady as much and as hard as possible so that memory is fresh in his head for next time.

Mojouw
12-16-2017, 02:48 PM
The more I think about this game - and I've thought about it far too much for something I have absolutely no control over - the key is the LB play from both defenses. That is the big obvious weak spot for both teams. While both offenses go about it differently, they can both put up points on anyone.

But when both the Steelers and the Pats have been exposed on defense it has been largely because of poor LB play.

This is such a complex game to work through and predict because both teams are really good and do a ton of things well. But it might just be as simple as whoever gets the better play from their LB unit comes out on top.