PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger First Player Ever To Throw 500 Yards Three Times

Shoes
12-11-2017, 05:49 AM
Who’s laughing now? Who’s laughing at the Pittsburgh Steelers and their quarterback these days? A couple of months ago, it seemed to some, both on the outside and in the inside, in Steelers Nation, that the organization was teetering on a precipice, after Ben Roethlisberger threw five interceptions and, through frustration during a post-game interview, insincerely speculated, “maybe I don’t have it anymore”.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12/ben-roethlisberger-first-player-ever-throw-500-yards-three-times/

polamalubeast
12-11-2017, 06:17 AM
He was the first with 2 also.

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2017, 09:24 AM
he seems to be the only one who with 500 yard games because hes on fire, and not simply because his team has "no other choice"

AtlantaDan
12-11-2017, 09:59 AM
he seems to be the only one who with 500 yard games because hes on fire, and not simply because his team has "no other choice"

Seems to be an appropriate response to concerns the Steelers are going to burn out Bell by running the wheels off him during the regular season :coffee:

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Seems to be an appropriate response to concerns the Steelers are going to burn out Bell by running the wheels off him during the regular season :coffee:

thats still a clear concern. Jefferson's hit on Bell was scary. Were fortunate nothing seems to have come of it. this is a different team without him

Hawkman
12-11-2017, 10:57 AM
Get ready for NE.

- - - Updated - - -

Go Suh

AtlantaDan
12-11-2017, 11:09 AM
thats still a clear concern. Jefferson's hit on Bell was scary. Were fortunate nothing seems to have come of it. this is a different team without him

Agreed burning Bell out is still a concern but Collinsworth noted last night there has been a clear change in emphasis of the pass over the run in recent weeks

Bell had 13 rushing attempts last night and Conner was in more often even if the plays after Bell's injury are not counted

The running the wheels off phase of this season so far was from games 6 through 9 when Bell's carries totaled 32, 35, 25 and 26

Starting with the Tennessee game Bell's carries for the last 4 games totaled 12, 20, 18 and 13. Probably not a coincidence that Bell's two highest average yards per carry games were 4.75 against the Packers and 4.22 in the Bengals Monday night game

Also probably not a coincidence scoring increased starting with the Titans game with less emphasis on the run

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BellLe00.htm

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Agreed burning Bell out is still a concern but Collinsworth noted last night there has been a clear change in emphasis of the pass over the run in recent weeks

Bell had 13 rushing attempts last night and Conner was in more often even if the plays after Bell's injury are not counted

The running the wheels off phase of this season so far was from games 6 through 9 when Bell's carries totaled 32, 35, 25 and 26

Starting with the Tennessee game Bell's carries for the last 4 games totaled 12, 20, 18 and 13. Probably not a coincidence that Bell's two highest average yards per carry games were 4.75 against the Packers and 4.22 in the Bengals Monday night game

Also probably not a coincidence scoring increased starting with the Titans game with less emphasis on the run

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BellLe00.htm

Bell is still on pace for 425 touches. He has never once made it through the entire season + postseason (when we've made it) healthy at the very end.

Conner literally touched the ball twice and was only in the game for the series or 2 that Bell was getting checked up. We still need to manage this situation, no QB can sustainably throw like Ben did over and over again

steel striker
12-11-2017, 11:15 AM
What a game by Ben that was some performance.

AtlantaDan
12-11-2017, 11:24 AM
Bell is still on pace for 425 touches. He has never once made it through the entire season + postseason (when we've made it) healthy at the very end.

Conner literally touched the ball twice and was only in the game for the series or 2 that Bell was getting checked up. We still need to manage this situation, no QB can sustainably throw like Ben did over and over again

So running Bell is not the answer and Ben passing more is not the answer - got it

Franco Harris and Jerome Bettis in their primes are not going to time travel to help share the load

66 passes a game is not sustainable but neither is running Bell 30 times a game and Conner simply is not ready to do more

What do you propose?

Craic
12-11-2017, 11:33 AM

I never really thought about it, but that's a very good point.

Shhh! You're doubting Ben! How dare you! He's the bestest!

vasteeler
12-11-2017, 11:46 AM

[/B]Shhh! You're doubting Ben! How dare you! He's the bestest![

Alright, alright...you have made your point. In about 3 different threads now

43Hitman
12-11-2017, 12:01 PM

Shhh! You're doubting Ben! How dare you! He's the bestest!
Bitter much?

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2017, 01:03 PM
So running Bell is not the answer and Ben passing more is not the answer - got it

Franco Harris and Jerome Bettis in their primes are not going to time travel to help share the load

66 passes a game is not sustainable but neither is running Bell 30 times a game and Conner simply is not ready to do more

What do you propose?

How can you say that a guy averaging 2 touches a game isnt ready? Thats not a big enough sample size. People rag on Conner for his pass pro, but no one has seen him do it in 9 weeks, and that was against a Jaguars defense thats ruining everybody. No one on offense played well that game except Brown

What are you going to say if Bell goes down and we dont have a choice but to play him? Eh, its just a coincidence? Its interesting that you're equating volumetric efficiency from 2 of our best players as "Yes, we can definitely do this all the time."

EDIT: There you go, Conner played 8% of offensive snaps. What in the world are people pretending to know about Conner based on 8% of the offensive snaps? http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12/steelers-vs-ravens-player-snap-counts-week-14/

polamalubeast
12-11-2017, 01:04 PM

Yes, but in the last few games, many of his touches was as a receiver that is not the same thing.

Also Roethlisberger can be successful if he attempts 40-45 passes per games like the 3 games before yesterday....

stillers4me
12-11-2017, 02:34 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQysyQaX4AcYKaP.jpg:large

Mojouw
12-11-2017, 02:43 PM
How can you say that a guy averaging 2 touches a game isnt ready? Thats not a big enough sample size. People rag on Conner for his pass pro, but no one has seen him do it in 9 weeks, and that was against a Jaguars defense thats ruining everybody. No one on offense played well that game except Brown

What are you going to say if Bell goes down and we dont have a choice but to play him? Eh, its just a coincidence? Its interesting that you're equating volumetric efficiency from 2 of our best players as "Yes, we can definitely do this all the time."

EDIT: There you go, Conner played 8% of offensive snaps. What in the world are people pretending to know about Conner based on 8% of the offensive snaps? http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12/steelers-vs-ravens-player-snap-counts-week-14/

Well, we don't know all that much to be sure. But what we do know is that if you go back and look at those snaps, a shocking majority of them in the passing game result in 1 of 2 things: your QB getting hit or a crappy pass that results in an INT or an incompletion.

Collinsworth remarked on it twice in the broadcast last night - this isn't just some "Anti Conner" cabal on Steelers message boards. There was one play last night where Conner ran a delayed route and he ran it right past the incoming blitzer. OL picked up the inside rusher and it sure looked like Conner was intended to read and react there. Either run the route or block the outside guy. Something that, again I don't know for sure, but looks like LBell does about a half dozen times per game. Conner just wandered out into the flat and settled into a soft spot in the zone and looked confused when he didn't get the ball. At least he was open, but I can not envision a scenario (non-screen pass) where a back is intended to run a route out of the back field that ignores unblocked pass rushers.

So I mean if you are blowing your assignments and reads on the few snaps you are in there, why the hell would anyone give you more when the other option is the "best guy in the league at your position"?

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Well, we don't know all that much to be sure. But what we do know is that if you go back and look at those snaps, a shocking majority of them in the passing game result in 1 of 2 things: your QB getting hit or a crappy pass that results in an INT or an incompletion.

Collinsworth remarked on it twice in the broadcast last night - this isn't just some "Anti Conner" cabal on Steelers message boards. There was one play last night where Conner ran a delayed route and he ran it right past the incoming blitzer. OL picked up the inside rusher and it sure looked like Conner was intended to read and react there. Either run the route or block the outside guy. Something that, again I don't know for sure, but looks like LBell does about a half dozen times per game. Conner just wandered out into the flat and settled into a soft spot in the zone and looked confused when he didn't get the ball. At least he was open, but I can not envision a scenario (non-screen pass) where a back is intended to run a route out of the back field that ignores unblocked pass rushers.

So I mean if you are blowing your assignments and reads on the few snaps you are in there, why the hell would anyone give you more when the other option is the "best guy in the league at your position"?

because this happens every year, except to a much unluckier result and we need to be ready when it happens.

Defending Bell and Conner also require reciprocal approaches (patience vs. filling the gap immediately), and that could prove useful in keeping defenses off balance. Again, ive been saying it for a long time, using Conner doesnt need to mean taking Bell out of the game. Using a pony backfield can still help us keep Bell's touches a bit more modest but still use him as a blocker or outlet receiver as needed

ALLD
12-11-2017, 03:07 PM

They got the win. I have seen QB pile up stats in garbage time only to lose the game.

Mojouw
12-11-2017, 03:31 PM
because this happens every year, except to a much unluckier result and we need to be ready when it happens.

Defending Bell and Conner also require reciprocal approaches (patience vs. filling the gap immediately), and that could prove useful in keeping defenses off balance. Again, ive been saying it for a long time, using Conner doesnt need to mean taking Bell out of the game. Using a pony backfield can still help us keep Bell's touches a bit more modest but still use him as a blocker or outlet receiver as needed

I agree with your concerns and your desire for a solution. But I keep getting the sense that underlying many of the "play Conner" more arguments are that the Steelers coaches are being short-sighted and/or stubborn on the issue. I push back a bit against that. They may be, I don't know. But I do know that Conner has been terrible in pass protection when he has been given an opportunity and he must be so bad in practice reps that the coaching staff swapped out Watson and French Cafe. Everyone was very high on Conner after the draft and while I see flashes of the player spoke about when he gets some running room - overall I seem more signs for a guy who just isn't NFL game ready yet.

And I suspect that isn't really your point either, but I think the James Conner bandwagon needs a pretty serious pump of the brakes. After all, the Steelers have basically said the last two weeks that they would rather play Fitzy Croissant than Conner.

AtlantaDan
12-11-2017, 04:14 PM

Unlike you I assume the coaches have better insights as to whether he should be playing than football masterminds who sound off on fan message boards.

It is an entertaining (at least it is supposed to be) distraction for us. It is their livelihood and they are at both practice and in the meeting rooms with the players. We can argue among ourselves but probably would be humbled if Tomlin ever came on this board and walked us through why he does what he does. Consider the possibility someone making north of $5 million per while being widely regarded as one of the top head coaches in the NFL who has been working in his profession most of his adult life has more of a clue than we do.

Reading some comments on this board one might think this is a 2-11 season.

86WARD
12-11-2017, 04:22 PM
More “software” for his Hall of Fame case...

Born2Steel
12-11-2017, 05:17 PM
Ben WILL be in the HoF. 1st ballot if there is any justice left.

86WARD
12-11-2017, 06:05 PM
Ben WILL be in the HoF. 1st ballot if there is any justice left.

He’s a “rapist”. Those media jackasses won’t look past that tag that he has.

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2017, 07:13 PM
Unlike you I assume the coaches have better insights as to whether he should be playing than football masterminds who sound off on fan message boards.

It is an entertaining (at least it is supposed to be) distraction for us. It is their livelihood and they are at both practice and in the meeting rooms with the players. We can argue among ourselves but probably would be humbled if Tomlin ever came on this board and walked us through why he does what he does. Consider the possibility someone making north of $5 million per while being widely regarded as one of the top head coaches in the NFL who has been working in his profession most of his adult life has more of a clue than we do.

Reading some comments on this board one might think this is a 2-11 season.

You proposed an idea. I replied. You requested I propose something, so I did. Your reaction is to completely ignore any of the points im trying to make. What kind of discussion is that? Does your confidence in coach insight include Todd Haley? Everyone hates this guy including Ben, its clear as day, except you I guess: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12/roethlisberger-explains-last-two-dubious-play-calls-final-drive/

I guess im not too big on the "You're a bad fan if you question the coaches at all" rhetoric

AtlantaDan
12-11-2017, 07:39 PM
You proposed an idea. I replied. You requested I propose something, so I did. Your reaction is to completely ignore any of the points im trying to make. What kind of discussion is that? Does your confidence in coach insight include Todd Haley? Everyone hates this guy including Ben, its clear as day, except you I guess: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12/roethlisberger-explains-last-two-dubious-play-calls-final-drive/

I guess im not too big on the "You're a bad fan if you question the coaches at all" rhetoric

You are not a bad fan - the NFL needs more people who take this as seriously as you apparently do

We disagree as to whether the limited information we as fans have, no matter how much we think we know about the game, supports forming a credible opinion as to who deserves playing time

Thanks for taking the time to find the link :drink:

Count Steeler
12-12-2017, 06:18 AM
Hope he puts up 555 this week.

teegre
12-12-2017, 06:28 AM
Hope he puts up 555 this week.

I’d take another one of those “6 TD” games.

polamalubeast
12-12-2017, 08:25 AM
I would not be surprised if Ben back to back 500 yards performance ..... If this is the case,I hope he will avoid turnovers again and that it's going to be enough to beat the Pats.....

Born2Steel
12-12-2017, 03:15 PM
Why I agree AB is the greatest Steeler's receiver of all time.