PDA

View Full Version : NFL considering a targetting rule

Butch
12-08-2017, 11:18 PM
The enforcement of the penalty would likely allow for possible ejections, which would be subject to replay review. The NCAA ruling mandates ejections for contact made with the crown of the helmet or to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent.An example of such a penalty came on Monday night as Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster delivered a helmet-to-helmet blow to Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict, who was deemed a defenseless player on the play. Burfict was carted off and placed in the concussion protocol, Smith-Schuster received a one-game suspension for the hit.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/12/06/nfl-targeting-rule-hits-ejections-penalty/927955001/

Steelers players believe it will make an already difficult game much harder.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/12/07/NFL-targeting-rule-Troy-Vincent-Stephon-Tuitt-Cameron-Heyward-Steelers-defensive-end/stories/201712070161

The newest way the NFL is going to leverage it's power over teams it does not want to be competitive. Notice how the writer of the article uses the Steelers vs bungles game as the example. It hasn't happened yet but you can bet your bippee it will be if go to hell and his kangaroo court have their way.

smokin3000gt
12-09-2017, 12:31 AM
adding more rules, penalties, and ejections should put fans back in the seats.. :rolleyes:

Fire Goodell
12-09-2017, 12:43 AM
Welcome to the NFFL

edit: ROTFLMAO Burfict was deemed a defenseless player? Are you kidding me?? A 250 lb man running full speed at the ball carrier with bad intentions... Yeah real defenseless. Not juju's fault you didn't see what was right in front of you

Steeldude
12-09-2017, 01:03 AM
So now that the dirtiest player in the NFL got a taste of its own medicine, the NFL now decides to look into a targeting rule? If Schuster never blocked(legal) Burfict this wouldn't even be coming up.

The NFL has really turned into trash under Goodell. Now they are giving up on breast cancer awareness and charity to the military, and instead giving $100 million to crazy SJW causes.

How many rules do they have now because the Steelers play too tough?

Blount - Must be nice to WRs rule
Harrison - Don't tackle too hard rule
Ward - Make sure everyone knows they are going to be blocked before you do it rule
Schuster - Don't block dirty players rule

BlackAndGold
12-09-2017, 02:15 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/xT1XGESDlxj0GwoDRe/giphy-downsized-large.gif

salamander
12-09-2017, 03:31 AM
Lol. Just another reason that reiterates my stance in not watching the NFL anymore.

43Hitman
12-09-2017, 04:24 AM
I really really hope the Steelers win their seventh championship this year so I can stop watching this hot mess. I am really about done with the NFL and their bs PR moves when we all know they could give two shits about player safety. All they really care about is money, that's all they have ever cared about. I am really disgusted by this crap to be honest.

86WARD
12-09-2017, 07:50 AM
Basically any player not looking at an oncoming blocker is defenseless...so the saying “keep your head on a swivel” is no longer necessary. Right?

SteelerFanInStl
12-09-2017, 08:22 AM
I really really hope the Steelers win their seventh championship this year so I can stop watching this hot mess. I am really about done with the NFL and their bs PR moves when we all know they could give two shits about player safety. All they really care about is money, that's all they have ever cared about. I am really disgusted by this crap to be honest.

Yep, me too. This garbage with JuJu already made me decide to stop watching and paying attention to everything NFL related except the Steelers. I stopped reading nfl.com, profootballtalk, etc. and stopped following all NFL and sports related Twitter accounts. I also stopped listening to Mike & Trey on my way to work. I still don't even know who won the Thursday night game and I don't care. I'll watch the Steelers game tomorrow and that's it. I'm done with everything else.

pczach
12-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Please......For crying out loud.......NO!

The NFL continues to move closer to falling into the dark abyss.

Hawkman
12-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Yep, me too. This garbage with JuJu already made me decide to stop watching and paying attention to everything NFL related except the Steelers. I stopped reading nfl.com, profootballtalk, etc. and stopped following all NFL and sports related Twitter accounts. I also stopped listening to Mike & Trey on my way to work. I still don't even know who won the Thursday night game and I don't care. I'll watch the Steelers game tomorrow and that's it. I'm done with everything else.

It was Atlanta.:chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
12-09-2017, 11:17 AM
What's hilarious is that they use the JuJu block as the basis for this. That really shows how clueless they are.

FrancoLambert
12-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Count me in on semi-dumping the NFL in the near future.
I'm giving up Direct and the Ticket next year for sure.

I'll get my fill of the NFL by watching the Steelers games shown in my area, primetime games, and visits to a Steelers bar when necessary.
The goose that laid the golden egg for the NFL has been placed on life support.

st33lersguy
12-09-2017, 12:09 PM
What's hilarious is that they use the JuJu block as the basis for this. That really shows how clueless they are.

Yeah let's protect the dirty player Burfict while allowing him to cheap shot whoever he wants to

Mojouw
12-09-2017, 12:38 PM
Youth participation and optics is your answer. Parents are deciding in large #s to keep their kids out of football. The NFL is desperate to change the narrative on safety. They will do anything to be seen as doing something.

Whether it improves the game or not does not factor into their decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butch
12-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Youth participation and optics is your answer. Parents are deciding in large #s to keep their kids out of football. The NFL is desperate to change the narrative on safety. They will do anything to be seen as doing something.

Whether it improves the game or not does not factor into their decisions.

You mean like giving gronk a whole game suspension that is equal to what Ju Ju got for a legal block and in the same game we see a bungle launch at AB and he gets a slap on the wrist. It has nothing to do with player safety or even the appearance that they are trying to do something. They have their own agenda gronk is a member of a favored team and Ju Ju and AB are on a team that voted against the CBA. If the bungles had tried the same stunt against one of the favorite teams it would have been a different ending.

This has nothing to do with youth participation and the NFL knows damn good and well it doesn't

Mojouw
12-09-2017, 02:14 PM
I’ve tried to repeatedly make this point and all everyone wants to talk about is Steers centered issues of perceived fairness and the NFL isn’t thinking about that at all.

They are thinking that dozens of opinions are coming out weekly that the game is too violent. Parents are preventing their kids from playing. High school teams are struggling to field teams. Many simply aren’t.

Gronk got the same as JUJU because in a 16 game season, 2 games is argued to be too punitive on team record and something was desired to be done to change the media stories about out of control violence across the league. So they both get a game.

Then the league can make all kinds of statements about how this type of violence has no place in the game and won’t be tolerated etc.

They absolutely don’t care about equity or fairness or even the rule book on this issue. They are playing a high wire game in the court of public opinion. Must make the game appear safe. That keeps folks watching, playing, and paying. They must also attempt to convince the public that they are doing this fairly and with a plan. Hence you get nonsense statements and pure foolishness.

43Hitman
12-09-2017, 03:08 PM
I’ve tried to repeatedly make this point and all everyone wants to talk about is Steers centered issues of perceived fairness and the NFL isn’t thinking about that at all.

They are thinking that dozens of opinions are coming out weekly that the game is too violent. Parents are preventing their kids from playing. High school teams are struggling to field teams. Many simply aren’t.

Gronk got the same as JUJU because in a 16 game season, 2 games is argued to be too punitive on team record and something was desired to be done to change the media stories about out of control violence across the league. So they both get a game.

Then the league can make all kinds of statements about how this type of violence has no place in the game and won’t be tolerated etc.

They absolutely don’t care about equity or fairness or even the rule book on this issue. They are playing a high wire game in the court of public opinion. Must make the game appear safe. That keeps folks watching, playing, and paying. They must also attempt to convince the public that they are doing this fairly and with a plan. Hence you get nonsense statements and pure foolishness.

They are failing miserably in this aspect of their "plan".

Mojouw
12-09-2017, 03:25 PM
They are failing miserably in this aspect of their "plan".

Of course they are. The NFL is run by a bunch of reactionary idiots that know where they want to end up but have no idea how to get there.

Lady Steel
12-09-2017, 04:03 PM
What a crock of poo.

Butch
12-09-2017, 04:04 PM

This has absolutely nothing to do with public opinion. Even sports talk shows in San Antonio are saying the gronk suspension is a joke and should be at least 3 games if not more.

This is about the NFL selectively using their own rules to serve their own agenda and nothing more. Gronk is on a favored team therefore he gets protection from the shield. blatant favoritism has been going on since go to hell has been at the helm. It's not just the Steelers who get targeted look at the joke that was bountygate. Had to get Tags to come in and talk go to hell down from his lofty perch and give up on trying to enforce trumped up charges against the Saints players.

Mojouw
12-09-2017, 04:24 PM
This has absolutely nothing to do with public opinion. Even sports talk shows in San Antonio are saying the gronk suspension is a joke and should be at least 3 games if not more.

This is about the NFL selectively using their own rules to serve their own agenda and nothing more. Gronk is on a favored team therefore he gets protection from the shield. blatant favoritism has been going on since go to hell has been at the helm. It's not just the Steelers who get targeted look at the joke that was bountygate. Had to get Tags to come in and talk go to hell down from his lofty perch and give up on trying to enforce trumped up charges against the Saints players.

I can’t provide any clearer statements than I already have. A large segment of the general public is just as horrified by Juju as Gronk hits. That drives NFL reaction.

Not fairness. Not equity. Not complex conspiracies. But an almost daily over reaction to negative opinions is the sole driving factor in much of the leagues reactions. The NFL is much more like a politician or a retail store than a rationale organization in these situations.

If the league becomes aware of a negative perception on player conduct or safety no matter how minor - they freak out and make some big splashy reaction. This reaction is not about being fair or even based on rules. It’s about what the reaction of your average blogger or soccer mom would be.

Mojouw
12-09-2017, 04:36 PM
The NFL is like the big cable companies. They basically don’t care about existing customers. Raise rates every so often, change channel lineups, etc. But they chase new customers with incentives, special packages, and all kinds of nonsense.

Ask them why a loyal customer pays 2-3 times as much as a new customer for the same thing, they tell you to pound sand.

Both the NFL and cable companies figure they have captured existing customers so they over respond and cater to whatever people they don’t already have. Hence nonsensical policies.

Butch
12-09-2017, 04:42 PM
I can’t provide any clearer statements than I already have. A large segment of the general public is just as horrified by Juju as Gronk hits. That drives NFL reaction.

Not fairness. Not equity. Not complex conspiracies. But an almost daily over reaction to negative opinions is the sole driving factor in much of the leagues reactions. The NFL is much more like a politician or a retail store than a rationale organization in these situations.

If the league becomes aware of a negative perception on player conduct or safety no matter how minor - they freak out and make some big splashy reaction. This reaction is not about being fair or even based on rules. It’s about what the reaction of your average blogger or soccer mom would be.

I have not heard anyone saying that the hit by Ju Ju is anywhere near what gronks hit was. The only thing I hear about Ju Ju is that he taunted but that's not saying his hit was equal to or even worse than gronks.

- - - Updated - - -

I stand by my "complex" conspiracy.

Butch
12-09-2017, 04:50 PM
Conspiracies like
1. break up ownership because of ties to legalized gambling yet let raiders move to vegas
2. bountygate where they suspend peyton yet in deflategate they don't touch belicheat
3. gronk's hit vs iloka vs Ju Ju and the penalties they assessed

Mojouw
12-09-2017, 06:13 PM
I have not heard anyone saying that the hit by Ju Ju is anywhere near what gronks hit was. The only thing I hear about Ju Ju is that he taunted but that's not saying his hit was equal to or even worse than gronks.

- - - Updated - - -

I stand by my "complex" conspiracy.

I provided over a half dozen links to opinions that equates the two hits in the other thread. Typically they are not hardcore football people. Which are the exact “fans” the league is responding to.

As for the complex conspiracy stuff, I hope your tinfoil hat fits well!!

Butch
12-09-2017, 06:52 PM
So now you assume that I am in here reading every thread you post in, sorry to disappoint but your opinions are not that important to me.

As far as your NFL is listening to somebody theory I hope, the ground your head is firmly planted in does not suffocate you.

Hawkman
12-10-2017, 07:58 AM
What a crock of poo.

Did you just say “poo” .......in your head?:chuckle:

Lady Steel
12-10-2017, 01:45 PM
Did you just say “poo” .......in your head?:chuckle:

It's a scary place sometimes. :lol:

fansince'76
12-10-2017, 01:49 PM
I knew Juju was doomed to suspension after Gruden's bullshit postgame soliloquy (Oh, the humanity! :drama:), but I never thought it would go this far.

And there really is no honest comparison between Juju's hit on Burfict and what Gronkowski did. Gronkowski's "WWE move" was straight-up assault.

fansince'76
12-10-2017, 02:03 PM
Conspiracies like
1. break up ownership because of ties to legalized gambling yet let raiders move to vegas

As far as league hypocrisy regarding gambling is concerned, don't forget about Jerruh's and Kraft's financial ties to DraftKings (It's a game of skill! :jerkit:) that got little more than a wink and a nod from Goodell's office. :coffee: