PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Shazier returns to Pittsburgh

stillers4me
12-06-2017, 04:27 PM
Linebacker Ryan Shazier has been released from a Cincinnati hospital and has returned to Pittsburgh, the Steelers announced Wednesday.

Shazier, who was being treated at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center since being injured in the first quarter Monday night, will receive medical attention here at UPMC and “continue tests and evaluations before his medical team provides any further updates on his condition,” the statement said...........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/12/06/ryan-shazier-update-steelers-news/stories/201712060186?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook

43Hitman
12-06-2017, 04:30 PM
Great News!!

Born2Steel
12-06-2017, 04:43 PM
Thank you, God.

stillers4me
12-06-2017, 05:06 PM

Crow-Magnon
12-06-2017, 05:16 PM
That is very good to hear!

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-06-2017, 05:16 PM
Great news and yes thank the Lord!

SteelerFanInStl
12-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Definitely good news.

86WARD
12-06-2017, 06:02 PM
Glad to hear it!! Hopefully good news continues to follow!!

GBMelBlount
12-06-2017, 06:11 PM
Great news....still praying for a full recovery.

DesertSteel
12-06-2017, 06:33 PM
What does this move say between the lines? It sounds good but what does it reveal about his condition?

- - - Updated - - -

There are four potential outcomes and I am praying for the first three in that order. Number one he will play again this year. Number two he will play again but not this year. Number three he will never play again but will lead a normal life. And worst of all, he will never play again and will have a debilitating injury.

Number one is like winning the lottery. But numbers two and three are good also.

Psycho Ward 86
12-06-2017, 06:52 PM
heres some more information on the supposed nature of Shazier's injury: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2014/01/spinal-cord-the-concussion-youve-never-heard-of

The issue of repeat episodes of CCN seems to be key, as about half of all football players who suffer an episode of CCN who return to play will experience a second episode. The risk of a repeat episode is directly related to the diameter of a player’s cervical spinal canal, or the tube formed by the vertebrae in which the spinal cord and its membranes are located in the upper (neck) part of the spine.

“The smaller the spinal canal, the higher the risk of repeat CCN,” says Dr. Bell.

I hope Ryan has a giant spinal canal

BlackAndGold
12-06-2017, 07:33 PM
Wish we got more updates on his health. Going on 48 hours since the injury, I hope he's making major progress.

DesertSteel
12-06-2017, 08:36 PM
heres some more information on the supposed nature of Shazier's injury: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2014/01/spinal-cord-the-concussion-youve-never-heard-of

The issue of repeat episodes of CCN seems to be key, as about half of all football players who suffer an episode of CCN who return to play will experience a second episode. The risk of a repeat episode is directly related to the diameter of a player’s cervical spinal canal, or the tube formed by the vertebrae in which the spinal cord and its membranes are located in the upper (neck) part of the spine.

“The smaller the spinal canal, the higher the risk of repeat CCN,” says Dr. Bell.

I hope Ryan has a giant spinal canal
That’s pertinent IF it was a concussion and not a contusion or something else.

Iron Steeler
12-06-2017, 10:01 PM
Man... I keep refreshibg my sports updates hoping a picture of Shazier walking again.

smokin3000gt
12-06-2017, 11:58 PM
Man... I keep refreshibg my sports updates hoping a picture of Shazier walking again.

Not to be doom and gloom but I don't see it as a good sign how little information is coming out..

fansince'76
12-07-2017, 05:56 AM
Not to be doom and gloom but I don't see it as a good sign how little information is coming out..

I also don't see it as great news that he was brought back to Pittsburgh via medevac. :(

Moose
12-07-2017, 07:19 AM
Great NEWS ! So glad to hear that he's back in the 'bugh. Hopefully his recovery is a steady flow now that he's amongst all of his family and friends. To answer the comment on Ryan being transported back to Pittsburgh via medivac, I would think that air-care would be the wisest way to transport him. You figure he would be with constant medical care while in the air, he would be back in Pittsburgh from cincy in a matter of hour or so ( compared to 5-6 hrs trip). plus by air you wouldn't have to worry about bumpy ride, traffic jam, pot holes, and all the great things that come with being in a car on the highways.

Hawkman
12-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Great NEWS ! So glad to hear that he's back in the 'bugh. Hopefully his recovery is a steady flow now that he's amongst all of his family and friends. To answer the comment on Ryan being transported back to Pittsburgh via medivac, I would think that air-care would be the wisest way to transport him. You figure he would be with constant medical care while in the air, he would be back in Pittsburgh from cincy in a matter of hour or so ( compared to 5-6 hrs trip). plus by air you wouldn't have to worry about bumpy ride, traffic jam, pot holes, and all the great things that come with being in a car on the highways.

I was thinking the same thing. He can get from hospital to hospital in a shot period of time without being jostled.

AtlantaDan
12-07-2017, 08:41 AM
I also don't see it as great news that he was brought back to Pittsburgh via medevac. :(

Since he is still receiving medical care and fortunately has the insurance coverage better than a long ambulance ride for reasons posted above

But FWIW this does not have the same recovery time line as the 2002 Tommy Maddox injury

This was the Tuesday story after Maddox was temporarily paralyzed in a Sunday game in Nashville

Maddox, who temporarily lost consciousness and was unable to feel or move his limbs after being tackled during Sunday's game against the Tennessee Titans, had a headache but was walking without assistance at Baptist Hospital in Nashville yesterday morning. He returned to Pittsburgh yesterday.

http://old.post-gazette.com/steelers/20021119tommy1119p1.asp

zulater
12-07-2017, 09:39 AM

Same here. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we're looking at a man who's challenge will be to regain the ability to walk eventually. I'm no doctor but you would think they would be reporting greater progress by now if we were looking at him in the sense of being a football player again.

SteelMember
12-07-2017, 09:51 AM
I know the Tommy Maddox injury keeps coming up as a comparison to the prognosis, but they were much different collision impacts, imo.

So, I'm just hoping for the best as far as him walking again pain free. Football shouldn't be in the conversation at this point... and that may be indeed why we haven't been hearing anything new except for "more tests".

BlackAndGold
12-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Updates on Shazier will come later today per Bouchette

DesertSteel
12-07-2017, 01:17 PM
Per Ed: "Ryan Shazier has spinal stabilization surgery"

Anyone know what that does?

SteelMember
12-07-2017, 01:21 PM
Per Ed: "Ryan Shazier has spinal stabilization surgery"

Anyone know what that does?

Sounds like fusing vertebrae...

tube517
12-07-2017, 01:36 PM

Praying his surgery is successful and that he will be able to walk again.

Fire Goodell
12-07-2017, 01:36 PM
Sounds like fusing vertebrae...

If that's the case, I think his playing days may be over. I hope I'm wrong about that, but honestly I'm more concerned about his well being.

SteelMember
12-07-2017, 01:43 PM
If that's the case, I think his playing days may be over. I hope I'm wrong about that, but honestly I'm more concerned about his well being.

Just ventured a guess, but "fusing" may be incorrect as that usually includes removing the disc. I'm sure it does include screws/plates and or flexible, connective rods. Either way, you could be right.

86WARD
12-07-2017, 01:54 PM
So the news isn’t great...sounds more scary than anything...

43Hitman
12-07-2017, 01:55 PM
I just want him to be able to lead a normal healthy life. I really could not care less if he plays again right now.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

86WARD
12-07-2017, 02:00 PM
I just want him to be able to lead a normal healthy life. I really could not care less if he plays again right now.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Same. I think his playing days might be over. That surgery doesn’t sound like something “fun” or minor...

Fire Goodell
12-07-2017, 02:09 PM
Well this doesn't look good. Honestly this is beyond football, I just hope he can live a normal life. Even if he's able to play again, if he's at a higher risk of injury for getting paralyzed, I'd rather him retire for his own safety.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12/steelers-lb-ryan-shazier-underwent-spinal-stabilization-surgery-wednesday-night/

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/877929969564909568/wGGMp1n7_normal.jpgMichele Steele
✔@ESPNMichele (https://twitter.com/ESPNMichele)

Just got off phone w neurologist Dr Anthony Alessi, who consults w NFLPA, asked him what he makes of Shazier's spinal stabilization surgery. "It's not good...We're not going to see him this season. He may not play football again."

Michele Steele
✔@ESPNMichele (https://twitter.com/ESPNMichele)

Alessi says surgery is needed when the "bones around his spinal cord are dislocated. This is a more severe injury (than a contusion.)"

"This is a much more severe situation on our hands than we thought."
9:54 AM - Dec 7, 2017 (https://twitter.com/ESPNMichele/status/938859315334705152)

zulater
12-07-2017, 02:09 PM
Yeah I can't see how this doesn't spell the end of his NFL career. I just hope he regains good function of his legs so he can lead a relatively normal life.

Craic
12-07-2017, 02:14 PM
My sentiments are right along with everyone else's. Here's hoping he can walk against and have a normal life. And, if it isn't too soon, here's hoping this becomes a lesson to everyone playing football. Keep your head up when you hit.

steel striker
12-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Man not good news and, been praying for Ryan & his family hopefully he can return to a normal life.

st33lersguy
12-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Awful. prayers for him that he has a normal life

Also wish people wouldn't have said "oh he suffered the same injury as Maddox and Maddox missed 1 game"
Also yet another year where at least one key piece misses the postseason.

pczach
12-07-2017, 02:53 PM
We all need to pray that Ryan can just somehow get back to normal life and be fully functional. Football is strictly an afterthought when we're talking about someone's life and how it will affect him and his family.

Let's hope for the best for him going forward.

Moose
12-07-2017, 06:18 PM
I read an article that even with someone in the great shape as Ryan, at best it would still be 6 weeks to 3 months rehab. Hopefully we'll be seeing him walking on our sidelines rooting our guys on in the playoffs.....please GOD !

RunNGun
12-07-2017, 07:55 PM
Really sad to possibly see such a promising career ended so shortly. Shazier was having a hell of a season. He's the heart and soul of this defense. Hate to say it, but him being out may be the deciding factor on how far this team goes. Gronk is giving me nightmares.