PDA

View Full Version : Steelers bring Sean Spence back

Count Steeler
12-05-2017, 06:06 PM
The Steelers released a statement on Tuesday that said linebacker Ryan Shazier (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9430/ryan-shazier) will remain in Cincinnati for another day or two for evaluation of his spinal injury before returning to Pittsburgh for further care and they’ll need to return to the practice field on Wednesday while waiting for further word about Shazier’s condition.

They also needed to address the hole in their defense left by Shazier’s injury and did so on Tuesday by bringing back a familiar face. According to multiple reports, the Steelers have signed Sean Spence (https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/25796/) to the 53-man roster.

https://sports.yahoo.com/steelers-bring-sean-spence-back-222939632.html?src=rss

Iron Steeler
12-05-2017, 06:12 PM
i thought that was the smartest move..

Spence is was a beast in Miami. Familar with the system. And not too far of a drop off atheticism from shazier.

RunNGun
12-05-2017, 06:21 PM
i thought that was the smartest move..

Spence is was a beast in Miami. Familar with the system. And not too far of a drop off atheticism from shazier.

I like the move for the reasons you mentioned, but the drop off in athleticism is steep. Shazier is the best athlete at his position in the entire NFL. His presence will undoubtedly be missed.

tube517
12-05-2017, 06:32 PM
I said in 2016 when he left that he would be back.

Does he take Juju's roster spot since he is suspended?

As I called it: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/25433-Sean-Spence-to-the-Titans?p=544192&viewfull=1#post544192

polamalubeast
12-05-2017, 06:38 PM
I said in 2015 when he left that he would be back.

Does he take Juju's roster spot since he is suspended?

yes

ALLD
12-05-2017, 06:39 PM
If everybody plays their gap instead of over shooting them they may have a chance.

DesertSteel
12-05-2017, 06:40 PM
yes
JuJu is a team player :)

Shoes
12-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Well it would be great for Spence to get a SB ring with the team that gave him time to heal up and have a career in the NFL. I think he will play his heart out.

GBMelBlount
12-05-2017, 07:33 PM
Well it would be great for Spence to get a SB ring with the team that gave him time to heal up and have a career in the NFL. I think he will play his heart out.

Perhaps a bit of irony with regard to the circumstances?

Rotorhead
12-05-2017, 08:12 PM
I am glad he was signed, hope he plays his heart out for the team that gave him the chance and the time to heal

SteelMember
12-06-2017, 07:34 AM
I hope he's got something in the tank and can make some contribution because the last thing we needed to do is sign someone that's no better than the 3rd stringers we're already having to run out there. They will probably determine this week if he's even worthy of keeping... They needed a body, but there's no guarantee he sticks past a workout. Hoping for the best, but you have to realize if this guy wasn't on a roster already, 31 other teams felt they already had enough to fill out their depth.

Moose
12-06-2017, 07:50 AM
I'm pretty damn satisfied with Spence's return. I hope it works out well for all concerned and I think he'll be able to pick up the system quickly. GO STEELERS

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-06-2017, 07:50 AM
I hope he's got something in the tank and can make some contribution because the last thing we needed to do is sign someone that's no better than the 3rd stringers we're already having to run out there. They will probably determine this week if he's even worthy of keeping... They needed a body, but there's no guarantee he sticks past a workout. Hoping for the best, but you have to realize if this guy wasn't on a roster already, 31 other teams felt they already had enough to fill out their depth. I don't expect much other then he is familiar with the system. Not a long term answer for sure. I feel like it's a Seinfeld EP where George's boss said I can go either way on you but heck we need somebody!

86WARD
12-06-2017, 07:51 AM
I don't expect much other then he is familiar with the system. Not a long term answer for sure. I feel like it's a Seinfeld EP where George's boss said I can go either way on you but heck we need somebody!

Exactly. He’s a body that knows the system. If he was all that, I think he’d be on a team somewhere.

tube517
12-06-2017, 07:54 AM
I hope he's got something in the tank and can make some contribution because the last thing we needed to do is sign someone that's no better than the 3rd stringers we're already having to run out there. They will probably determine this week if he's even worthy of keeping... They needed a body, but there's no guarantee he sticks past a workout. Hoping for the best, but you have to realize if this guy wasn't on a roster already, 31 other teams felt they already had enough to fill out their depth.

It's for depth. I'm not expecting much either but they had to do something.

Steelers always look at previous players and re-sign them since they are familiar w/the system (Gay, Foote, McFadden, Leftwich are examples of all who left and came back)

SteelMember
12-06-2017, 07:59 AM
It's for depth. I'm not expecting much either but they had to do something.

Steelers always look at previous players and re-sign them since they are familiar w/the system (Gay, Foote, McFadden, Leftwich are examples of all who left and came back)

I totally understand the rational. I'm just saying, even if he's already passed his physical, he still has to (successfully) run through some practice before he's even considered for a helmet on Sunday... or even remain on the roster come Friday.

steelreserve
12-06-2017, 02:08 PM
I totally understand the rational. I'm just saying, even if he's already passed his physical, he still has to (successfully) run through some practice before he's even considered for a helmet on Sunday... or even remain on the roster come Friday.

Maybe but ... Depending on how badly Makatevich is hurt, Spence could be the #1 backup, or even starting if we don't have any confidence in Fort, which is not entirely clear.

Or he might not see the field at all. Really a complete mess at this point.

Psycho Ward 86
12-06-2017, 02:59 PM
Spence is already our best backup ILB as far as im concerned

Craic
12-06-2017, 03:03 PM
And people wonder why I suggested a draft pick at ILB is more important than drafting a safety to replace Mitchell

steelreserve
12-07-2017, 10:05 AM
And people wonder why I suggested a draft pick at ILB is more important than drafting a safety to replace Mitchell

Well, now it sure seems that way.

Born2Steel
12-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Welcome back Sean. Now, get to work!

Craic
12-07-2017, 02:23 PM
Well, now it sure seems that way.

Yeah, I was very concerned about this exact scenario (someone getting injured) happening, leaving us very short on start-ready players.

tube517
12-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Looks like Moats will get the start at ILB

DesertSteel
12-07-2017, 03:34 PM
Looks like Moats will get the start at ILB
He looks slow.

43Hitman
12-07-2017, 03:36 PM
He looks slow.
Compared to Shay all Linebackers are slow.

Psycho Ward 86
12-07-2017, 06:37 PM

hindsight is 20/20. If Shazier and Williams are healthy, replacing Mitchell is more important. Unfortunately we dont have any heirs at ILB or safety replacements for Mitchell. Im lowkey hoping Spence has some kind of 2nd Steeler-stint renaissance like Foote and Gay had

86WARD
12-07-2017, 08:58 PM
No Shazier obviously leaves a HUGE hole in the defense...Butler is going to have his work cut out for him trying to hide that loss...

st33lersguy
12-07-2017, 09:15 PM
Looking a lot like another year where a potential Super Bowl season is ruined by injuries

DesertSteel
12-07-2017, 11:10 PM
Looking a lot like another year where a potential Super Bowl season is ruined by injuries
Ready to fold? Geez, every team out there has guys going down. Ain't the end of the world.

Born2Steel
12-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Spence is somebody fast that can cover while VW shoots gaps and puts Flacco on his backside. Moonballs will be raining down in the form of INTs. Steelers 40 Ravens 3.

Fire Goodell
12-08-2017, 12:52 PM
I just hope Spence can stay healthy. His stint with the Titans looked like it was going to be successful until he got hit with the injury bug.

If he can though, he will be an upgrade from Moats / Fort / Matakevich. I'm thinking a lot of teams are shying away from signing him since he is tiny for a ILB, but in the right system he can thrive. I would assume the Steelers defense would be one system where he can be successful in (and he has in the past)

tube517
12-08-2017, 01:48 PM
I hope we get this Sean Spence back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6w2M0HpYZk

teegre
12-08-2017, 09:34 PM
Kurt Warner was bagging groceries and got a second chance...

(You never know.)

86WARD
12-09-2017, 07:52 AM
Kurt Warner was bagging groceries and got a second chance...

(You never know.)

Tru Dat.