PDA

View Full Version : The NFL is strongly weighing a one-game suspension for Steelers WR Juju Smith-Schuster...

polamalubeast
12-05-2017, 12:42 PM

tube517
12-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Complete bullshit. Another knee jerk reaction like Concussion Sunday.

SteelerFanInStl
12-05-2017, 12:49 PM
They have absolutely no case for suspending JuJu. No player has ever been suspended for a crack back block. That would be absolute b.s. The only reason that they're even talking about it is because of Gruden.

tube517
12-05-2017, 12:51 PM

F the NFL.

GBMelBlount
12-05-2017, 12:52 PM
I will be surprised if they do.

tube517
12-05-2017, 12:53 PM
I will be surprised if they do.

They did. 1 game for Juju. I'd appeal this nonsense.

SteelerFanInStl
12-05-2017, 12:54 PM
Fuck the NFL!!!! That's complete bullshit! Where was the suspension for Richard Rodgers for his crack back block last week against the Steelers???

I'm seriously very close to being done with this shit.

BlackAndGold
12-05-2017, 12:57 PM
I'm sure he'll appeal

AtlantaDan
12-05-2017, 12:57 PM
They did. 1 game for Juju. I'd appeal this nonsense.

He will - Exhibit A for the appeal will be how this fits with America's favorite overage frat boy only getting one game for his assault in the Bills game

Shoes
12-05-2017, 12:59 PM
I told you so.

polamalubeast
12-05-2017, 01:03 PM

st33lersguy
12-05-2017, 01:03 PM
So juju gets suspended for a one time hit, but barfass as a repeat offender kicks roosy nix in the head and gets nothing. What garbage. I guess barfass is one of gotohell's favorites and if you dare hit him too hard you get suspended. All this while he is allowed to be a barbarian and injure people

polamalubeast
12-05-2017, 01:06 PM
Burfict is the only reason why the Steelers-Bengals are out control

- - - Updated - - -

Shoes
12-05-2017, 01:07 PM
I'm sure he'll appeal

He's not going to win. This is the NFL telling him to forget about playing Hines Ward football in todays league.

st33lersguy
12-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Burfict is the only reason why the Steelers-Bengals are out control

- - - Updated - - -

If they are honest, they would add not named vontaze burfict at the end, because he can just kick who ever and get away with it

SteelerFanInStl
12-05-2017, 01:11 PM
He's not going to win. This is the NFL telling him to forget about playing Hines Ward football in todays league.

Show me where 1 single player has been suspended for a crack back block in the NFL. It hasn't happened and the NFL can't just start changing the punishment for the same act because Gruden was crying about it.

What Gronk did was 10 times worse and he got the same punishment.

Mojouw
12-05-2017, 01:12 PM
The taunting is what did it. And there is no way to appeal that. What is he going to say he was swapping holiday recipes with him?

tube517
12-05-2017, 01:14 PM
Show me where 1 single player has been suspended for a crack back block in the NFL. It hasn't happened and the NFL can't just start changing the punishment for the same act because Gruden was crying about it.

AJ Green turned UFC on Jalen Ramsey and no suspension.

Shoes
12-05-2017, 01:16 PM

I don't have to show you anything, it's the Roger Goodell show, making things up on the fly. He needs more pension money and full use of a business jet.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-05-2017, 01:18 PM
The taunting is what did it. And there is no way to appeal that. What is he going to say he was swapping holiday recipes with him?

True, but its worth a try.

" take 2 cups of Sit the Fu@k Down....then add a tablespoon of STFU and let simmer over the playoffs, while other teams are still at work"

Shoes
12-05-2017, 01:19 PM

Exactly. This is what I loved about Watt with his hit last week. He just walked off the field because he knew it would draw unnecessary to himself.

- - - Updated - - -

True, but its worth a try.

" take 2 cups of Sit the Fu@k Down....then add a tablespoon of STFU and let simmer over the playoffs, while other teams are still at work"

LMAO!

SteelerFanInStl
12-05-2017, 01:21 PM
AJ Green turned UFC on Jalen Ramsey and no suspension.

Yep and that was much worse than the football play that JuJu made.

SteelMember
12-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Don't like it considering the comps out there for 1 game suspensions, but I'm not at all surprised. This will hit the rookies pocket for his game check even if Brown picks up the tab on the fine. Hopefully, the kid uses this as a learning opportunity as far as the "unsportsman-like" taunting. I think that was basically the tipping point for this vacation.

He did probably just endear himself even more (if that's possible) to every Steelers fan out there though...

AtlantaDan
12-05-2017, 01:26 PM

Has anyone been suspended before for taunting?

Gronk only getting one game for his assault the day before raises a legitimate issue of either Gronk getting off too easy or JuJu getting penalized too harshly

If this would have happened in an early Sunday game that was not nationally broadcast no way there is a suspension. National media picked up on Grunden's comments this morning and ran with how the game got out of control. Goodell reacted accordingly with a PR response.

ALLD
12-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Don't like it considering the comps out there for 1 game suspensions, but I'm not at all surprised. This will hit the rookies pocket for his game check even if Brown picks up the tab on the fine. Hopefully, the kid uses this as a learning opportunity as far as the "unsportsman-like" taunting. I think that was basically the tipping point for this vacation.

He did probably just endear himself even more (if that's possible) to every Steelers fan out there though...

JuJu just sold a bunch more #19 jerseys.

FrancoLambert
12-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Clean, vicious hit IMO. The taunting brought more attention to it.....hence the suspension.

Shoes
12-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Has anyone been suspended before for taunting?

Gronk only getting one game for his assault the day before raises a legitimate issue of either Gronk getting off too easy or JuJu getting penalized too harshly

If this would have happened in an early Sunday game that was not nationally broadcast this would not have happened. National media picked up on Grunden's comments this morning and ran with how the game got out of control. Goodell reacted accordingly with a PR response.

The NFL is covering themselves by calling it a safety violation. That being the case Burfict should be out of the league with his history.

Craic
12-05-2017, 01:30 PM
You're exactly right. That last sentence is very telling.

SteelerFanInStl
12-05-2017, 01:31 PM
I don't have to show you anything, it's the Roger Goodell show, making things up on the fly. He needs more pension money and full use of a business jet.

You said that he wasn't going to win. Previous appeals have often been won by the player due to prior precedent. If the same play has been punished a specific way repeatedly in the past, the NFL can't just all of the sudden change the punishment. If I were JuJu, I'd appeal the shit out of this and take it as far up as it can go.

SteelMember
12-05-2017, 01:35 PM
The NFL is covering themselves by calling it a safety violation. That being the case Burfict should be out of the league with his history.

But according to WineyBengalsFan, he's just misunderstood and everybody "baits" him... Going all the way back to his college career. :rolleyes:

DesertSteel
12-05-2017, 01:37 PM
It was the taunting over an injured player. JuJu will learn his lesson. Least of our worries coming out of that game.

SteelMember
12-05-2017, 01:38 PM
You said that he wasn't going to win. Previous appeals have often been won by the player due to prior precedent. If the same play has been punished a specific way repeatedly in the past, the NFL can't just all of the sudden change the punishment. If I were JuJu, I'd appeal the shit out of this and take it as far up as it can go.

Ahhh, an Ezekiel Elliott defense strategy... it will eventually run it's course. Rather have him out now than a potential playoff game.

Born2Steel
12-05-2017, 01:41 PM
How can it be both, if it's neither? The 'crackback block' on Burfict is not an infraction worthy of a suspension, but the taunting is? Then why does the suspension fall under the heading, "Safety violation". Taunting is not a safety violation, and a crack back block doesn't get a suspension. The more this doesn't make logical sense, the more it sounds like something the NFL would do. *Shrug* It is indeed the end of days.

AtlantaDan
12-05-2017, 01:48 PM
It was the taunting over an injured player. JuJu will learn his lesson. Least of our worries coming out of that game.

Like this? Famous photograph of Eagle LB Chuck Bednarik after he knocked out Frank Gifford

http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/chuck-bednarik.jpg

What was once celebrated is now sanctioned - times obviously have changed but the NFL always being in PR mode can cause overreactions

steelreserve
12-05-2017, 01:48 PM
When you have stupid rules enforced by stupid people, you tend to get a stupid result. This is merely Exhibit A.

Moose
12-05-2017, 01:55 PM
I agree with all here....it's BS ! And I'm sure also that the puss Gruden drew attention to it while under the Commish breakfast table. But I somehow got the feeling that a few of the other player's may kick in to the penalty bucket and help JuJu in his learning process. Right now my thoughts/prayers are with Ryan and feel lucky that the game wasn't more disastrous to some of our other player's. JuJu .....appeal, learn from it and move on and see how it play's out.

El-Gonzo Jackson
Like this? Famous photograph of Eagle LB Chuck Bednarik after he knocked out Frank Gifford

http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/chuck-bednarik.jpg

What was once celebrated is now sanctioned - times obviously have changed but the NFL always being in PR mode can cause overreactions

Such a historic photo of the NFL.

When Frank got busted for cheating with a stewardess, I always thought that Kathie Lee had that as her screensaver. :noidea:

teegre
While Burfict was laying on the ground, JuJu should have dove at Burfict’s head... it would have only cost him one game (you know, the same as he already got).

Steeltreal
12-05-2017, 02:20 PM
It's only a matter of time , the refs will start calling Juju and AB clever TD Celebrations "Taunting"

Shoes
12-05-2017, 02:23 PM
You said that he wasn't going to win. Previous appeals have often been won by the player due to prior precedent. If the same play has been punished a specific way repeatedly in the past, the NFL can't just all of the sudden change the punishment. If I were JuJu, I'd appeal the shit out of this and take it as far up as it can go.He isn't going to win the NFL has already called it a safety violation.

Count Steeler
12-05-2017, 02:38 PM
When you have stupid rules enforced by stupid people, you tend to get a stupid result. This is merely Exhibit A.

I would say we are up to about Exhibit ZZZ. The NFL has ZERO ​integrity. Consistently inconsistent.

hawaiiansteeler
12-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Suspensions come quickly for Steelers and Bengals

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 5, 2017

That didn’t take long.

The NFL just announced one-game suspensions for Steelers wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster and Bengals safety George Iloka, after last night’s over-the-line hits.

Both were flagged last night for helmet-to-helmet hits, Smith-Schuster for dropping Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict and Iloka for hitting Steelers wideout Antonio Brown in the end zone.

They can appeal within the next three days, and those will be heard by Derrick Brooks or James Thrash.

While those suspensions are clearly justified, they were at least organic, unlike Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski‘s sneak attack, which also drew a one-game ban.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/05/suspensions-come-quickly-for-steelers-and-bengals/

pczach
12-05-2017, 03:24 PM
This should have been a fine.

To make this a suspension, and to make this the same punishment as Gronk got for his attack on a player to the head and neck after the play was over for 5 seconds is ridiculous.

The NFL keeps stepping on their dicks every single time they hand out punishment.

The same for Iloka's. Both plays were in the act of playing the game. Gronk's was a premeditated attack out of bounds to a defenseless man that was face down on the ground not moving.

And then the NFL wonders why people are getting sick of their bullshit, and question everything they do and the motivations behind them.

Total nonsense and inconsistency in the way they punish players. Burfict has committed so many illegal hits and dirty plays that weren't called, it's too hard to count them all, yet he avoids suspensions for his dirty play......while first time offenders on hits that happened during actual football plays get suspended.

Way to go NFL. You are now saying that taunting and a hit to the head defending a pass are exactly the same as trying to break the neck of or crack the skull of a defenseless player that is face down on the field giving himself up and not moving 5 seconds after the play is over.

Assholes....

hawaiiansteeler
12-05-2017, 03:26 PM
It was the taunting over an injured player. JuJu will learn his lesson

Mike Tomlin: JuJu's taunting more disturbing than hit

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: Dec. 5, 2017

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie JuJu Smith-Schuster earned a flag for a brutal crackback block that knocked Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict out of Monday night's game. The receiver earned another penalty for taunting after standing over the defender.

The league suspended Smith-Schuster one game Tuesday without pay for violating safety-related playing rules.

Prior to the one-game suspension being announced, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he took more issue with the taunting than the hit.

"I haven't had an opportunity to see the television copy often times particularly in HD -- that provides the best case scenario," Tomlin told reporters. "I'll stand by my statement last night that his actions after the hit are more disturbing than the hit itself. Often times plays like that are teachable moments. When you look at it you have an opportunity to talk about ways you can be safer and so forth. He is a better sportsman than he displayed after the block and you got to acknowledge that. He's got to work hard so people understand the type of man he is from a sportsmanship standpoint and that's not something that's going to happen overnight. That's just the reality of plays like that."

Smith-Schuster apologized after the game for the block and standing over Burfict.

to read rest of article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000888601/article/mike-tomlin-jujus-taunting-more-disturbing-than-hit

Neversatisfied
12-05-2017, 04:41 PM
I'm fine with Juju being suspended. When you stand over a person and taunt them after injuring them it sends the wrong message to everyone watching and that includes young kids (these players are their idols). Jujus' behavior was unacceptable and he deserves the punishment, he'll think twice before acting like a thug on national television.

Mojouw
12-05-2017, 04:44 PM

They didn't throw forward passes either. In 1905 it was reported that 18 people died and over 150 were seriously injured playing football. In response to serious outside pressure, the rules were changed and regulation was implemented. I'm sure people hated that too.

I don't know how anyone, Steelers fan or not, saw Juju's hit and subsequent taunting last night - in the same game that a player suffered a serious spinal injury and another a significant concussion - and is surprised to hear that Juju was suspended.

Sure Cincy's medical staff played up the situation a bit. I think in almost any other game Burfect walks off under his own power, just as he was insisting he be allowed to do. Sure, until very very recently Juju's hit was totally legal and arguably may have not been consistently flagged even in the 2017 version of the NFL -- but in what has become one of the most violent and borderline dirty rivalries in the league, no one can be surprised that the NFL suspended a player for seemingly knocking a guy out and standing over him and hollering about it.

Tomlin, Juju, fans, and other players need to understand that is a penalty, a fine, and in a nationally televised prime-time game a likely path to suspension every single time. No one has to like it or even agree with it, but I am totally left dumbfounded that anyone is surprised at this.

DesertSteel
12-05-2017, 04:45 PM
They didn't throw forward passes either. In 1905 it was reported that 18 people died and over 150 were seriously injured playing football. In response to serious outside pressure, the rules were changed and regulation was implemented. I'm sure people hated that too.

I don't know how anyone, Steelers fan or not, saw Juju's hit and subsequent taunting last night - in the same game that a player suffered a serious spinal injury and another a significant concussion - and is surprised to hear that Juju was suspended.

Sure Cincy's medical staff played up the situation a bit. I think in almost any other game Burfect walks off under his own power, just as he was insisting he be allowed to do. Sure, until very very recently Juju's hit was totally legal and arguably may have not been consistently flagged even in the 2017 version of the NFL -- but in what has become one of the most violent and borderline dirty rivalries in the league, no one can be surprised that the NFL suspended a player for seemingly knocking a guy out and standing over him and hollering about it.

Tomlin, Juju, fans, and other players need to understand that is a penalty, a fine, and in a nationally televised prime-time game a likely path to suspension every single time. No one has to like it or even agree with it, but I am totally left dumbfounded that anyone is surprised at this.
Wow! An actual non-homer observation! I wasn't sure those existed here.

Mojouw
12-05-2017, 04:50 PM

To make this a suspension, and to make this the same punishment as Gronk got for his attack on a player to the head and neck after the play was over for 5 seconds is ridiculous.

The NFL keeps stepping on their dicks every single time they hand out punishment.

The same for Iloka's. Both plays were in the act of playing the game. Gronk's was a premeditated attack out of bounds to a defenseless man that was face down on the ground not moving.

And then the NFL wonders why people are getting sick of their bullshit, and question everything they do and the motivations behind them.

Total nonsense and inconsistency in the way they punish players. Burfict has committed so many illegal hits and dirty plays that weren't called, it's too hard to count them all, yet he avoids suspensions for his dirty play......while first time offenders on hits that happened during actual football plays get suspended.

Way to go NFL. You are now saying that taunting and a hit to the head defending a pass are exactly the same as trying to break the neck of or crack the skull of a defenseless player that is face down on the field giving himself up and not moving 5 seconds after the play is over.

Assholes....

It was a nationally televised prime-time game. That's all anyone needs to know. The majority of Burfict's dirty plays have been "hidden" in the weekly cycle of games. While we, as fans, may strongly disagree with it - the NFL is drawing an equivalency between blocks like Juju's, hits like Illoka's, and dirty play like Gronk's. They have been for a handful of seasons now. In a very real sense, the NFL is legislating the ends not the means. In fact, it increasingly appears that the means are secondary to the end result.

Hit a guy in the head and/or cause a brain injury and you're going to sit for awhile. Unless you knock out a RB -- it is still okay to level those guys!

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-05-2017, 04:54 PM

The posing, or taunting, or standing over Burfict was too much and the hit was helmet to helmet, despite JuJu leading with the shoulder. So if he makes contact 6 inches lower and doesn't stand over Burfict, he could likely be playing next week.

The crazy thing is that he and Iloka get a game for their actions and Gronk gets the same for hitting a defenseless player, after the play, out of bounds in the back of the head. If JuJu and Iloka get 1 game, then Gronk should get 3 games. NFL is a joke.

I do agree with others that if that hit was made 10 years ago, its just a taunting call and no suspension, so I personally don't get too riled up about the action, because its just playing hard football.

pczach
12-05-2017, 04:57 PM

My point in my post above is that if they are going to suspend JuJu for what he did, Gronk should have received a much more severe punishment as the offense was far worse IMO. I also think that consistency in punishment to fit the crime needs to be fixed now.

Gronk's hit and punishment didn't happen three months ago. It literally just happened. To punish JuJu and Iloka exactly the same as Gronk is irresponsible at best if they are truly trying to eradicate illegal hits.

The parameters they have just set is that you are going to get a one-game suspension for anything between taunting and attempted murder while still in pads. I'm being a bit sarcastic, but I think you get the idea.

cubanstogie
12-05-2017, 05:10 PM
My point in my post above is that if they are going to suspend JuJu for what he did, Gronk should have received a much more severe punishment as the offense was far worse IMO. I also think that consistency in punishment to fit the crime needs to be fixed now.

Gronk's hit and punishment didn't happen three months ago. It literally just happened. To punish JuJu and Iloka exactly the same as Gronk is irresponsible at best if they are truly trying to eradicate illegal hits.

The parameters they have just set is that you are going to get a one-game suspension for anything between taunting and attempted murder while still in pads. I'm being a bit sarcastic, but I think you get the idea.
I agree Gronks was worse, it was premeditated. Ju Ju's was close to a clean play and would have been just a fine had he not taunted, IMHO. With that said I have zero problem with one game suspension, I think it was worth it. Gronks should have been 2 but he has no history so maybe they were a little soft. Not to mention he is a Patriot. Ju Ju's hit was a good investment, Im sure most non Bengal fans and players were smiling a little once they new he wasn't dead.

Mojouw
12-05-2017, 05:13 PM

I totally agree. But what I am arguing for is that the players and coaches need to adapt to the realities of the situation - however flawed and ridiculous they may be.

Actions in prime-time games are different than other games in terms of consequences.
The NFL is legislating the result not the process.
Much of this is in response to optics and public perception. Levelling a guy in a game where someone may have just been paralyzed AFTER the Gronk murder attempt was shown in highlight reels all afternoon is going to draw a severe consequence.

While we and the players (mike mitchell clearly does) may find this stupid and rage inducing -- it really isn't hard to predict and should not be seen as a constant surprise. Failure to recognize that by the Steelers or any other team is just as annoying to me as the results from the league office.

Craic
12-05-2017, 05:14 PM

Total nonsense and inconsistency in the way they punish players. ...first time offenders on hits that happened during actual football plays get suspended.

THIS.

Let me begin by stating that suspending either player is stupidity. Suspending them equally when Ju-Ju violated two rules rather than one is just as stupid—or at least include fine amounts that are higher for Ju-Ju's two violations to Iloka's one.

However, the major issue in both situations happened WITHIN the play and as part of the play. There was no seeking someone out and making nonfootball contact. If they are suspended one game, Gronk should be suspended three games.

Here's the other issue, however. Had Ju-Ju not been suspended, Iloka wouldn't have been suspended for that hit, and vice-versa. However, because both occurred, they were both suspended and the NFL gets to avoid accusations of favoritism while looking like they're trying to do something.

AtlantaDan
12-05-2017, 05:25 PM

If you check the Gronkowski thread you will see I predicted JuJu would be suspended before it was announced. I stand by my position it is a PR move given that Gronkowski committed a far more serious violation on the same weekend and only received a one game suspension. I assume you agree the Gronkowski conduct was more egregious.

As far as it being a likely path to suspension every time, in watching the condensed replay of the game Gruden said "that's a fine" when Brown took the helmet to helmet hit in the end zone for which a one game suspension also was issued. So it may be a surprise to Gruden.

As far as the game evolving, I agree and said so. My point was the NFL glorified the violent hits for a long time (certainly as recently as the run up to the Ravens-Steelers 2008 season AFC championship game) that arguably were a major factor in the NFL surpassing baseball in popularity.

In now attempting to keep the game from turning into a sport with the diminished popularity of boxing due to CTE concerns it covered up for decades the league often takes actions that in large part are driven by PR concerns rather than anything approaching a consistent disciplinary process.

Mojouw
12-05-2017, 05:29 PM
If you check the Gronkowski thread you will see I predicted JuJu would be suspended before it was announced. I stand by my position it is a PR move given that Gronkowski committed a far more serious violation on the same weekend and only received a one game suspension. I assume you agree the Gronkowski conduct was more egregious.

As far as it being a likely path to suspension every time, in watching the condensed replay of the game Gruden said "that's a fine" when Brown took the helmet to helmet hit in the end zone for which a one game suspension also was issued. So it may be a surprise to Gruden.

As far as the game evolving, I agree and said so. My point was the NFL glorified the violent hits for a long time (certainly as recently as the run up to the Ravens-Steelers 2008 season AFC championship game) and in now attempting to keep the game from turning into a sport with the diminished popularity of boxing due to CTE concerns it covered up for decades often takes actions that in large part are driven by PR concerns.

Agree with all of that. I just don't think that any of this should be surprising. It is shockingly easy to predict if you just ask yourself 2 questions:

1. What will be the majority social media commentary on a play or hit?
2. If it is negative, how big of fine and/or suspension will the NFL hand out so that it can change the narrative as quickly as possible.

Gronk, Juju and Illoka's hits were all clearly going to be hefty fines and suspensions to me right after they happened. I think it sucks and I don't agree with it, but I am not surprised.

pczach
12-05-2017, 06:22 PM
In now attempting to keep the game from turning into a sport with the diminished popularity of boxing due to CTE concerns it covered up for decades the league often takes actions that in large part are driven by PR concerns rather than anything approaching a consistent disciplinary process.

The only problem with the boxing analogy is that boxing's diminished popularity has nothing to do with CTE concerns. MMA is even more brutal in some ways and has exploded in popularity to pick up the fans that left boxing.

Boxing has lost popularity because fans have lost confidence that they are seeing a real sport. The very best fighters rarely fight each other. Every aspect of the sport is orchestrated and controlled by promoters and multiple boxing organizations instead of having one body to oversee everything and operate fairly. Judges make terrible decisions, and it is obvious that many decisions are rigged and the outcome of fights are predetermined to make more money the next time....not have the better man win. The have angered the longtime boxing fans by putting a shitty product out there to consume, and questioning the legitimacy of the outcomes has put the sport a hop, skip, and a jump from professional wrestling.

I contend that the NFL is closer to being on the path that boxing followed even though that is not their intent. The inconsistencies in punishments, rule changes, perceived favoritism of teams, the botched issues like kneeling for the National Anthem, as well as the complete whiff on issues like domestic abuse has made the NFL look like a dysfunctional entity where chaos reigns. Now, after years of stopping any connection to gambling, they are putting a team in Las Vegas where everyone knows it is strictly about the money as they are demanding a cut of the action, and the fear of fixing games has moved to the front of many people's minds.

I think the NFL is in a very precarious position right now if they don't clean some things up fairly soon.

Dissolv
12-05-2017, 06:34 PM
It's really, really tough to have any sympathy for Burfict.

But Gronk should have gotten a much longer suspension, and everyone knew that before this happened. I think JuJu deserves the 1 game suspension, and the fine. However given that Burfict has injured so many Steelers, and clearly deliberately so, what the heck did the league expect? Paddycakes?

Gronk should have gotten 4, JuJu 1 + big fine (for the taunting). And Burfict should have been ejected repeatedly from games, if not the league for past behavior. But the NFL has its head squarely up its ass, and can't figure out which side will make them more money to come down on, so they wiff on the subject no matter what angle you look at it.

Burfict is lucky that a LOT of teams haven't gone after him. The league is not making the game safer, or better. Giving Iloka the 1 game suspension is also....too little, too late.

End of the day I used to like watching football. These days I only watch the Steelers, because Pittsburgh is just awesome. But the NFL is trying very, very hard to get me to reevaluate what I do with my time.

Dissolv

SteelerFanInStl
12-05-2017, 06:40 PM
How can it be both, if it's neither? The 'crackback block' on Burfict is not an infraction worthy of a suspension, but the taunting is? Then why does the suspension fall under the heading, "Safety violation". Taunting is not a safety violation, and a crack back block doesn't get a suspension. The more this doesn't make logical sense, the more it sounds like something the NFL would do. *Shrug* It is indeed the end of days.

Exactly. The whole damn thing is complete b.s. They're only suspending him because f'ing Gruden made such a big deal out of it.

DesertSteel
12-05-2017, 06:44 PM
It's really, really tough to have any sympathy for Burfict.

But Gronk should have gotten a much longer suspension, and everyone knew that before this happened. I think JuJu deserves the 1 game suspension, and the fine. However given that Burfict has injured so many Steelers, and clearly deliberately so, what the heck did the league expect? Paddycakes?

Gronk should have gotten 4, JuJu 1 + big fine (for the taunting). And Burfict should have been ejected repeatedly from games, if not the league for past behavior. But the NFL has its head squarely up its ass, and can't figure out which side will make them more money to come down on, so they wiff on the subject no matter what angle you look at it.

Burfict is lucky that a LOT of teams haven't gone after him. The league is not making the game safer, or better. Giving Iloka the 1 game suspension is also....too little, too late.

End of the day I used to like watching football. These days I only watch the Steelers, because Pittsburgh is just awesome. But the NFL is trying very, very hard to get me to reevaluate what I do with my time.

Dissolv
Gronk didn't deserve 4 games! Gimme a break! Two maybe, but 4? C'mon.

RunNGun
12-05-2017, 06:49 PM
I'm not going to lie. I loved the hit and the reaction from Juju. Message was sent. Burfict is hands down, the dirtiest p.o.s. in the league. He been had it coming. Juju almost knocked his head off his neck. You can't help but love this kid's heart and passion. Karma is a b****. One game suspension well deserved Juju!

DesertSteel
12-05-2017, 07:04 PM
I bet Hines is beaming with pride!

AtlantaDan
12-05-2017, 07:23 PM
The only problem with the boxing analogy is that boxing's diminished popularity has nothing to do with CTE concerns. MMA is even more brutal in some ways and has exploded in popularity to pick up the fans that left boxing.

Boxing has lost popularity because fans have lost confidence that they are seeing a real sport. The very best fighters rarely fight each other. Every aspect of the sport is orchestrated and controlled by promoters and multiple boxing organizations instead of having one body to oversee everything and operate fairly. Judges make terrible decisions, and it is obvious that many decisions are rigged and the outcome of fights are predetermined to make more money the next time....not have the better man win. The have angered the longtime boxing fans by putting a shitty product out there to consume, and questioning the legitimacy of the outcomes has put the sport a hop, skip, and a jump from professional wrestling.

I contend that the NFL is closer to being on the path that boxing followed even though that is not their intent. The inconsistencies in punishments, rule changes, perceived favoritism of teams, the botched issues like kneeling for the National Anthem, as well as the complete whiff on issues like domestic abuse has made the NFL look like a dysfunctional entity where chaos reigns. Now, after years of stopping any connection to gambling, they are putting a team in Las Vegas where everyone knows it is strictly about the money as they are demanding a cut of the action, and the fear of fixing games has moved to the front of many people's minds.

I think the NFL is in a very precarious position right now if they don't clean some things up fairly soon.

I am old enough to remember when Olympic boxing was given prime time viewing slots and the most famous man in the world was Muhammad Ali. As late as the Duran-Leonard and Hagler-Hearns fights in the 80s boxing matches were big time sporting events. As you note, other factors contributed to its decline but IMO boxing's fate was sealed when everyone saw the physical wreck Ali became due to brain damage.

MMA is popular but it does not approach the fame that once went with being the heavyweight champion of the world.

I do agree the NFL is in danger of falling apart fairly quickly, which might explain why the blatant money grabs like Thursday night football are pushed. Nobody knows how precarious the condition of an organization may be like the insiders who operate it and accordingly elect to cash in every way possible while they still can.

With regard to the thread topic

Appeals officer James Thrash, jointly appointed by the NFL and the NFLPA, has upheld the one-game suspension of Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3120348/juju-smith-schuster). The appeal was heard on Tuesday afternoon.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21681632/nfl-upholds-one-game-suspension-pittsburgh-steelers-juju-smith-schuster

That certainly was quick

SteelMayhem72
12-05-2017, 08:45 PM
I am old enough to remember when Olympic boxing was given prime time viewing slots and the most famous man in the world was Muhammad Ali. As late as the Duran-Leonard and Hagler-Hearns fights in the 80s boxing matches were big time sporting events. As you note, other factors contributed to its decline but IMO boxing's fate was sealed when everyone saw the physical wreck Ali became due to brain damage.

MMA is popular but it does not approach the fame that once went with being the heavyweight champion of the world.

I do agree the NFL is in danger of falling apart fairly quickly, which might explain why the blatant money grabs like Thursday night football are pushed. Nobody knows how precarious the condition of an organization may be like the insiders who operate it and accordingly elect to cash in every way possible while they still can.

Appeals officer James Thrash, jointly appointed by the NFL and the NFLPA, has upheld the one-game suspension of Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3120348/juju-smith-schuster). The appeal was heard on Tuesday afternoon.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21681632/nfl-upholds-one-game-suspension-pittsburgh-steelers-juju-smith-schuster

That certainly was quickThey didn't let Derrick Brooks review the appeal because of his connection with Tomlin, I guarantee it!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Dissolv
12-05-2017, 10:21 PM

Why not? If he did that on the street he'd be in court, and likely in jail. Even on the playing field, there is "during the play", and "after the play". In this case the target was motionless, prone, out of bounds, and he took an hit to the head that put him directly into concussion protocol -- and that's through the helmet.

One game off is a wink and a nod. If the NFL was serious about cleaning up that sort of thing, then they'd come down hard on it. I mean if you want to run old school and let the players play. Awesome. That's what we grew up watching. We know a lot more about the risks these days though, but its an informed choice. If you want to actually deter players from that behavior, then there has to be more than a token PC type penalty.

One game for what happens in a bang bang play is one thing. Going after a defenseless guy on the ground to hurt him is well....just that.

Need a reminder of what the point of the big suspension is? Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEIU4KYgDp4

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEIU4KYgDp4)

fansince'76
12-05-2017, 10:46 PM

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/104544/4929853-1614772290-Apoll.jpg

:chuckle:

fansince'76
12-05-2017, 10:48 PM
Personally, I can no longer muster outrage over this stuff. My passion for the game has pretty much been killed. I'll still watch my Steelers, but as far as actually CARING is concerned, I no longer do. Good job, Goodell. (golf clap)

Butch
12-05-2017, 11:53 PM
Personally, I can no longer muster outrage over this stuff. My passion for the game has pretty much been killed. I'll still watch my Steelers, but as far as actually CARING is concerned, I no longer do. Good job, Goodell. (golf clap)
This is such a true statement for many fans and I don't blame you for having those feelings, I am in the same boat with ya. This is also why Go To Hell needs to be canned, but my fear is that the next one will be worse. What is even sadder is that the only owner who is calling for his head is a self serving jackwad. Why can't the Rooney's and others see this? Get rid of this idiot and proceed with caution on finding his replacement or suffer the consequences when fans turn off the game.

Craic
12-06-2017, 01:46 AM

If the baseline of suspensions for one game is what Ju Ju and the Bungles defender did, then Gronk deserved probably three games. Why three? It was after the play, it was unarguably purposeful, and it was a focused and aimed shot to the head. None of those apply to the other two.

Four games? No, I agree with you, that's too much. But three games is just about right based on the baseline of the one-game suspensions handed out this week.

- - - Updated - - -

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/104544/4929853-1614772290-Apoll.jpg

You know, the funny thing is, I've heard comment that, that series of movies is what killed heavyweight boxing. Personally, I blame it all on Thunder Lips.

- - - Updated - - -

That certainly was quick

Yep, at least the NFL is doing one thing right (not drawing out the appeals process). I'm happy it was quick because I was afraid that he'd end up playing this game, and then the appeal get rejected and he would have to sit the Pats* game.

fansince'76
12-06-2017, 05:41 AM
I'm fine with Juju being suspended. When you stand over a person and taunt them after injuring them it sends the wrong message to everyone watching and that includes young kids (these players are their idols). Jujus' behavior was unacceptable and he deserves the punishment, he'll think twice before acting like a thug on national television.

Cool story. Except that besides being the biggest cheap-shotting POS in the league himself, Burfict wasn't injured at all.

Sorry the team wound up winning so you couldn't bitch some more about what a shitty coach Tomlin is like you usually do instead. :coffee:

pczach
12-06-2017, 05:59 AM

That certainly was quick

At its peak, boxing was a huge sport with immense popularity. I agree with much of what you said, particularly about Ali.

Yes, it appears the appeal of the suspension wasn't seriously considered based on the timeframe. Typical NFL. It's not about doing it correctly or fairly. It's about doing whatever they feel they need to do and make it happen.

tube517
12-06-2017, 06:06 AM

That certainly was quick

I used to watch alot of boxing w/my dad in the 70s and early 80s. I remember boxing watching a brutal weekend (Boom Boom Mancini vs Duk Koo Kim w/Kim dying after the fight) and the very brutal Alexis Arguello vs Aaron Pryor fight. These 2 fights made Howard Cosell retire from being a commentator for boxing.

Then later in the 80s - the 53 second Tyson-Spinks fight. People used the bathroom and paid $60 on ppv and by the time they returned, the fight was over.

That was pretty much it until Tyson-Holyfield in the 90s and some other fights involving both men w/other opponents.

But the damage was already done.

SteelerFanInStl
12-06-2017, 07:16 AM

This was the final straw for me. I'm done with everything NFL except the Steeler games. They've completely ruined the sport that I've loved and been a die hard fan of for over 40 years.

86WARD
12-06-2017, 07:53 AM
This was a classic reaction by the NFL to the result of the play and not the actual play. JuJu basically got suspended for taunting and the fact that Burfict went off the field on a stretcher later to hop up and jog to the locker room.

Steeldude
12-06-2017, 07:59 AM
It's the James Harrison rule. You aren't allowed to hit too hard.

SteelMember
12-06-2017, 08:04 AM
It's the James Harrison rule. You aren't allowed to hit too hard.

Harrison did/does appear to have his own set of rules at times. And some of them aren't even about hitting too hard. I remember the first time I ever heard the call "Laying on the player with his full body weight" after a sack. :doh:

tube517
12-06-2017, 08:08 AM
This was the final straw for me. I'm done with everything NFL except the Steeler games. They've completely ruined the sport that I've loved and been a die hard fan of for over 40 years.

QFT

SteelMember
12-06-2017, 08:14 AM
He gets a game. Okay, fine. Learning experience. He's still young and needed to know the "legislated" limits at some point. We all just need to pretend his hammy flared up again and he will be back next week. Extra rest for it probably isn't a bad thing... perspective. :noidea:

j-d-s
12-06-2017, 08:35 AM
Harrison did/does appear to have his own set of rules at times. And some of them aren't even about hitting too hard. I remember the first time I ever heard the call "Laying on the player with his full body weight" after a sack. :doh:
Somebody tell them that that is called "tackling".

As for JuJu, I loved the hit. Burfict got a taste of his own medicine, especially considering he was faking all the way!

JuJu is the new Hines Ward!:smokin:

SteelerFanInStl
12-06-2017, 10:36 AM
I just went in to my Twitter account and un-followed everyone who has anything to do with the NFL. I only kept Steeler specific people. The NFL will never get anything more from me.

tube517
12-06-2017, 10:44 AM
I just went in to my Twitter account and un-followed everyone who has anything to do with the NFL. I only kept Steeler specific people. The NFL will never get anything more from me.

What's your twitter? (PM me if you want)

SteelerFanInStl
12-06-2017, 10:47 AM
What's your twitter? (PM me if you want)

PM sent.

steelreserve
12-06-2017, 10:56 AM
At its peak, boxing was a huge sport with immense popularity. I agree with much of what you said, particularly about Ali.

Yes, it appears the appeal of the suspension wasn't seriously considered based on the timeframe. Typical NFL. It's not about doing it correctly or fairly. It's about doing whatever they feel they need to do and make it happen.

The lightning-fast timing of both the original suspension and the appeal almost certainly mean it came unilaterally from the top and there was never any process. Jon Runyan was likely handed a pre-written letter to sign. Thrash probably was told of the outcome of the appeal and didn't even bother reading it.

If there's a knee-jerk reaction in a high-profile incident, Goodell is never far away.

It looked bad on TV, so we need to protect our image by puffing our chests and and ultimately drawing even more attention to it. That's a dead giveaway of Goodell's personal involvement. Too stupid to come from anyone else.

Mojouw
12-06-2017, 11:04 AM
I wish the NFL could stay the violent and hard-hitting sport that most of us on here seem to be fans of. I totally understand why many are upset and not fans of the current NFL and feel that they are no longer watching the sport and the league they grew up loving. That is because you aren't. It is that simple. The game and the league are changing because they have to. If the NFL loses some long term die-hard (older - no offense guys!! I'll lump myself in as well!) fans in order to ensure that continual streams of fans come to the game each generation along with stemming the tide of declining youth participation, they will make that trade-off every day and twice on Sundays.

Awhile back, due to public backlash and a variety of other things, the NHL basically got rid of enforcers. Many traditional hockey fans hated the move. Many of us longed for the days that every great NHL goal scorer had a guy with concrete fists and a granite jaw riding on his wing. It was awesome to watch the other team slam your star forward into the boards and then you just new who was coming over the wall next shift and what was going to happen. But it wasn't good for the long-term health of the league and the NHL adjusted. There are still big hits in hockey and there are still fights. But, dudes who drop the gloves also have to be able to do hockey things now and many argue that the game is better for it in the long run.

The same thing is happening in the NFL. They are attempting to "re-wire" the instinctual reactions of a generation of players that were raised to hit a certain way. The NFL wants them to hit differently. It is a flawed and painful process made worse by the league office constantly stepping on their own dick. But, make no mistake, the owners want this just as much as the league office does. It allows them to continue to market a violent and potentially catastrophically harmful sport as "safe" or at least as "safe as they can make it". It allows them to encourage the continued large #'s of young people to take up the sport that is necessary to pump players into the league. When baseball was faced with the sharp decline of US based youth participation, it didn't matter - -they just mined international markets for marquee players. The NFL can not do that. They need young people, youth coaches, and parents to all feel that tackle football can be taught, learned, and played for fun and profit without the guarantee that each participant will experience permanent negative damage to their brain. In order to make people feel "safe" the NFL is essentially trying to have everyone hit everyone between the shoulders and the knees. I realize, as do most of you, that this is not a realistic goal -- but that is not the point, it is about perception. The perception that needs to be created, encouraged, packaged and sold in order to keep the multi-billion dollar machine running for additional decades.

If individuals want to make the decision to pull the rip-cord on the NFL, the Steelers, or football in general because they no longer like the game or the experience -- please, go ahead. That is your right and a personal decision. But don't think for a moment that a change in commissioner or continued viewership decline is going to alter the current direction the game is going in. If anything, a decline in viewership is going to cause the league to "double-down" on their efforts to eradicate violent hits. No highlight reels on social media and traditional media of concussed players, Gronk attempting to decapitate someone, or an almost motionless Shazier grabbing at his back in panic. This whole process could be conducted in a smoother, more efficient, an even-handed manner for sure. But it is an unstoppable process no matter what. And, yes, as many here have pointed out - this is just as much about PR as it is about the on-field actions. Of course the penalties and consequences for highly visible hits are greater than for other negative things that don't move the PR needle. The NFL doesn't care about a LB twisting a guy's ankle in the pile because the public doesn't care about it either. The NFL cares about highly visible "head" injuries because the images of those are spread like wildfire and the public freaks out.

Please understand this is not a defense of the NFL and this is not a post intended to convince anyone that the direction of the NFL needs to be applauded. But it does need to be accepted if we all wish to continue watching. Again, some of us may not want to make that choice. However, those of us that stick around, need to stop being shocked, surprised, and upset by these decisions and directives from the league. No amount of complaining, boycotting, or change(s) in league leadership will alter the course. This is the new reality.

dislocatedday
12-06-2017, 11:19 AM
It was just announced George Iloka's 1 game suspension has been lifted and he is just getting a fine. Unbelievable that JuJu's sticks, and Iloka's is repealed. Neither should be suspended IMO, but there is no standard here.

tube517
12-06-2017, 11:20 AM
It was just announced George Iloka's 1 game suspension has been lifted and he is just getting a fine. Unbelievable that JuJu's sticks, and Iloka's is repealed. Neither should be suspended IMO, but there is no standard here.

SteelerFanInStl
12-06-2017, 11:26 AM

Just another steaming pile of shit from the NFL. That hit was much worse than JuJu's. He launched himself right into AB's helmet. So many players have been fined/suspended in the past for that same exact act. Fuck them!

It's not the changing of the sport that bothers me. I understand them wanting to make the game safer for the players and I'm fine with that. What pisses me off is the complete and total lack of consistency with the way that they handle anything, especially fines/suspensions.

SteelMember
12-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Pfffft, whatever....

tube517
12-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Just another steaming pile of shit from the NFL. That hit was much worse than JuJu's. He launched himself right into AB's helmet. So many players have been fined/suspended in the past for that same exact act. Fuck them!

It's not the changing of the sport that bothers me. I understand them wanting to make the game safer for the players and I'm fine with that. What pisses me off is the complete and total lack of consistency with the way that they handle anything, especially fines/suspensions.

Agreed.

Iloka is also a repeat offender. Fined twice before for hitting a defenseless receiver.

But, where is the monkey dart board so this joke of a league can decide the next punishment.

86WARD
12-06-2017, 11:29 AM

JuJu’s appears more “calculated” than Iloka’s. I can almost, ALMOST understand the difference. Having said that, Gronk’s was waaaaaaaay more calculated and waaaaaaaay more dirty than JuJu’s. So if Goodell wants to give JuJu a one game suspension and Iloka a fine, Gronk should’ve been hit with a 2-game suspension. If he wants to give Gronk a one game suspension? JuJu should get a fine and Iloka should get a fine less than JuJu.

Again, the NFL proves consistent at being inconsistent.

AtlantaDan
12-06-2017, 11:33 AM

As posted above, no way Brooks was going to hear Ju Ju's appeal given his Tomlin connection

86WARD
12-06-2017, 11:35 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171206/cc67d90be244a91872bdcf1cc09f1c62.jpg

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-06-2017, 11:36 AM
Whatever, the Bengals are going nowhere. Treat it as Juju is resting his hamstring a week and the cost of doing business. I'm proud of the kid and the hit he put on Burfict, as you know that Burfict is trying to knock opposing players out whenever he can.

BTW, the movie "The Untouchables" was on the other night and I recall the scene where Elliot Ness throws Nitty off the roof, after telling him how Malone squealed like a stuck pig, so "remember that when I beat the rap". Sure we all thought that was a cool scene when the villain gets what is coming to him and I feel the same way about the hit on Burfict.

Take the 1 game suspension and move on, it was worth it. I'll be ordering up my JuJu jersey soon. :thumbsup:

AtlantaDan
12-06-2017, 11:45 AM
They are attempting to "re-wire" the instinctual reactions of a generation of players that were raised to hit a certain way. The NFL wants them to hit differently....

The NFL cares about highly visible "head" injuries because the images of those are spread like wildfire and the public freaks out.

Please understand this is not a defense of the NFL and this is not a post intended to convince anyone that the direction of the NFL needs to be applauded. But it does need to be accepted if we all wish to continue watching. Again, some of us may not want to make that choice. However, those of us that stick around, need to stop being shocked, surprised, and upset by these decisions and directives from the league. No amount of complaining, boycotting, or change(s) in league leadership will alter the course. This is the new reality.

Brown had his head taken off by Burfict two seasons ago - Iloka delivers a head shot to Brown Monday night. Same high profile player, not some schlub journeyman, hit again in a nationally televised game.

But Iloka's suspension is overturned while Ju Ju's is upheld and Gronk only gets one game for assault.

I would submit this is no master plan to rewire the game but merely a series of random PR moves that are internally inconsistent.

That having been said, the players have no grounds to complain after they gave Goodell a blank check on discipline after the 2011 CBA.

tube517
12-06-2017, 11:50 AM
Whatever, the Bengals are going nowhere. Treat it as Juju is resting his hamstring a week and the cost of doing business. I'm proud of the kid and the hit he put on Burfict, as you know that Burfict is trying to knock opposing players out whenever he can.

BTW, the movie "The Untouchables" was on the other night and I recall the scene where Elliot Ness throws Nitty off the roof, after telling him how Malone squealed like a stuck pig, so "remember that when I beat the rap". Sure we all thought that was a cool scene when the villain gets what is coming to him and I feel the same way about the hit on Burfict.

Take the 1 game suspension and move on, it was worth it. I'll be ordering up my JuJu jersey soon. :thumbsup:

Now that was a great scene! Props for The Untouchables reference. Hines Ward is Sean Connery. Juju is Andy Garcia. (In a passing the torch/keychain kind of way)

Mojouw
12-06-2017, 11:57 AM
Brown had his head taken off by Burfict two seasons ago - Iloka delivers a head shot to Brown Monday night. Same high profile player, not some schlub journeyman, hit again in a nationally televised game.

But Iloka's suspension is overturned while Ju Ju's is upheld and Gronk only gets one game for assault.

I would submit this is no master plan to rewire the game but merely a series of random PR moves that are internally inconsistent.

Which I also acknowledged in my post. If Juju doesn't stand over a prone Burfict and talk shit, he isn't suspended either.

Headshot + taunting/celebrating an illegal hit = suspension

The league can explain away Iloka's hit (most casual fans won't even notice that the suspension got rescinded on appeal they will just remember that it was announced and move on) through the exact argument the player and his agent made - Brown bracing and moving after Iloka already launched, etc. It is a crap argument and potentially very out of touch with the truth. The truth being Iloka and the Bengals would gladly trade a penalty, fine, and suspension for Brown dropping that ball. But that doesn't matter - at all.

They could even explain away Juju's hit in a similar fashion except that Juju stood over the player and taunted him. That is a bad image for the league and in a predictable and not surprising move, the ban hammer came down hard.

Fans are attempting to apply logic and reason to the actions of the NFL in these situations and that is just my argument -- this isn't a logical decision making chain. It is a punitive process that focuses on the image results not the actions leading up to the images produced. For the NFL, Juju putting his helmet into the jaw/head of a LB, potentially knocking him unconscious, and then standing over him and celebrating that head-shot is far worse than Iloka leading with his head. It is even a bit worse than Gronk -- because that can be written off as a player going "rogue" and not emblematic of the NFL at large. While Juju's hit is too close to home. As many have pointed out, it was only a handful of years ago that hits like that were celebrated and marketed. The NFL wants to divorce itself from that and likely wishes they could convince everyone it never happened! So anytime a player creates a potentially lasting image around a head-shot -- they are going to have the full wrath and fury of the league directed at them with little chance to escape serious punishment.

SteelMember
12-06-2017, 12:09 PM
The line has been arbitrarily drawn in the sand...Thank that last work agreement.

Born2Steel
12-06-2017, 12:19 PM

My son told me about Shannon Sharp on one of the NFL highlight shows taking up for JuJu. He said Burfict got what was coming to him and everyone knows it. He went on to say how on every injured players social media platforms there are prayers offered, get well soon, hurry back, etc..., on Burfict's pages there is, Karma!, couldn't have happened to a better guy, reap what you sow, about time, etc....JuJu will serve a one game suspension, then the rest of the season with countless 'atta boys' by every other team in the league.

AtlantaDan
12-06-2017, 12:29 PM
NFL officials meet for post-mortem assessment of how the Gronk, Ju Ju, and Iloka disciplinary actions were handled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0TfFz6J5t0

Bonuses awarded for everyone involved in the process:thumbsup:

Shoes
12-06-2017, 01:12 PM
Which I also acknowledged in my post. If Juju doesn't stand over a prone Burfict and talk shit, he isn't suspended either.

Headshot + taunting/celebrating an illegal hit = suspension

The league can explain away Iloka's hit (most casual fans won't even notice that the suspension got rescinded on appeal they will just remember that it was announced and move on) through the exact argument the player and his agent made - Brown bracing and moving after Iloka already launched, etc. It is a crap argument and potentially very out of touch with the truth. The truth being Iloka and the Bengals would gladly trade a penalty, fine, and suspension for Brown dropping that ball. But that doesn't matter - at all.

They could even explain away Juju's hit in a similar fashion except that Juju stood over the player and taunted him. That is a bad image for the league and in a predictable and not surprising move, the ban hammer came down hard.

Fans are attempting to apply logic and reason to the actions of the NFL in these situations and that is just my argument -- this isn't a logical decision making chain. It is a punitive process that focuses on the image results not the actions leading up to the images produced. For the NFL, Juju putting his helmet into the jaw/head of a LB, potentially knocking him unconscious, and then standing over him and celebrating that head-shot is far worse than Iloka leading with his head. It is even a bit worse than Gronk -- because that can be written off as a player going "rogue" and not emblematic of the NFL at large. While Juju's hit is too close to home. As many have pointed out, it was only a handful of years ago that hits like that were celebrated and marketed. The NFL wants to divorce itself from that and likely wishes they could convince everyone it never happened! So anytime a player creates a potentially lasting image around a head-shot -- they are going to have the full wrath and fury of the league directed at them with little chance to escape serious punishment.

Agreed, having said that I'm going to do as El and order a JuJu jersey

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Now that was a great scene! Props for The Untouchables reference. Hines Ward is Sean Connery. Juju is Andy Garcia. (In a passing the torch/keychain kind of way)

Yeah, but I think J. Peezy is Connery (What are you prepared to do?!?!), kind of the OG. Hines is Costner and JuJu is Garcia (Stone). He should get a call box keychain with St. Lloyd on it (the patron saint of football A$$ Whoopin).

- - - Updated - - -

My son told me about Shannon Sharp on one of the NFL highlight shows taking up for JuJu. He said Burfict got what was coming to him and everyone knows it. He went on to say how on every injured players social media platforms there are prayers offered, get well soon, hurry back, etc..., on Burfict's pages there is, Karma!, couldn't have happened to a better guy, reap what you sow, about time, etc....JuJu will serve a one game suspension, then the rest of the season with countless 'atta boys' by every other team in the league.

Great stuff! Interesting to know that there is not much love for Burfict on social media by other players. But I bet Gruden, McDonogh and the rest of the Monday night broadcast team sent him flowers and a snuggly blanket to recover in. smh

AtlantaDan
12-06-2017, 01:41 PM

Craic
12-06-2017, 02:30 PM
For years, I have looked at both sides, and in most cases, I have disagreed with most people here because I could see how the fines and suspensions made sense in an internal logic, even if we might disagree.

But the wrongs by the NFL this week is so egregious that no internal consistency exists. Iloka and JuJu are equal in violations. Upon further review, JuJu's hit was LEGAL.

ILLEGAL “PEEL BACK” BLOCKAn offensive player cannot initiate contact on the side and below the waist against an opponent if:

the blocker is moving toward his own end line; and
he approaches the opponent from behind or from the side.

Note: If the near shoulder of the blocker contacts the front of his opponent’s body, the “peel back” block is legal.

Note there is nothing about hitting someone in the head. Also, on blindside blocks...

"Blindside" Block. It is an illegal "blindside" block if the initial force of the contact by a blocker's helmet (including facemask), forearm, or shoulder is to the head or neck area of an opponent when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and approaches his opponent from behind or from the side.
Ju Ju was moving towards the Bengals endline and approached pretty much almost straight on.

Thus, Ju Ju was ONLY wrong for taunting. As such, both he and Iloka (sp?) are guilty of one penalty. Not to suspend Iloka but suspend Ju Ju for what was actually a legal block is completely ignorant. To give him the same suspension for taunting, which is what it breaks down to, to Gronk, is absolutely ludicrous.

zulater
12-06-2017, 03:02 PM
The line has been arbitrarily drawn in the sand...Thank that last work agreement. :rofl2:

Funny and true!

AtlantaDan
12-06-2017, 03:09 PM
:flame::flame::flame::flame::flame:

Mojouw
12-06-2017, 03:29 PM
For years, I have looked at both sides, and in most cases, I have disagreed with most people here because I could see how the fines and suspensions made sense in an internal logic, even if we might disagree.

But the wrongs by the NFL this week is so egregious that no internal consistency exists. Iloka and JuJu are equal in violations. Upon further review, JuJu's hit was LEGAL.

Note there is nothing about hitting someone in the head. Also, on blindside blocks...

Ju Ju was moving towards the Bengals endline and approached pretty much almost straight on.

Thus, Ju Ju was ONLY wrong for taunting. As such, both he and Iloka (sp?) are guilty of one penalty. Not to suspend Iloka but suspend Ju Ju for what was actually a legal block is completely ignorant. To give him the same suspension for taunting, which is what it breaks down to, to Gronk, is absolutely ludicrous.

I feel you, I really do. But you can't approach this stuff from a clinical and logical point of view.

The image of Juju standing over a prone and potentially unconscious player and taunting him is the definition of the long-term perception problem for the NFL. The nature of the block is simply an excuse to suspend Juju.

Looking for benchmarks in the rulebooks and previous league decisions is just not applicable to the NFL anymore. Think about what that hit looked like to non-Steeler fans, non-Bengal fans, and, perhaps most importantly, critics of the NFL. From that perspective it is a fine and suspension all day every day.

Of course it is inconsistent, illogical, and arbitrarily punitive towards "normal" football plays, but that is not the decision making parameters the league is using and has not been for some time.

Mojouw
12-06-2017, 03:35 PM
:flame::flame::flame::flame::flame:

Of course he is right. And his anger is more than justified. But the league is using a standard for deciding the consequences:

What does the outcome look like in the highlight reels and short video clips on social media?

If the outcome portrays the league as unnecessarily violent, dangerous, and/or has ANYTHING to do with potential head trauma and brain injury it is going to be a very large fine and a likely suspension. If you have the misfortune to commit that transgression in a nationally televised prime-time game -- then the league is going to double-down on your penalty.

It is that simple and straightforward. We can debate rules and how to play the game all we want. But that doesn't matter on this specific issue. It is ONLY about public perception in the eyes of the league.

steelreserve
12-06-2017, 03:40 PM

It certainly was not a "blindside" block. That's when you blow up somebody from the side. This was a straight-on block from directly in front - Burfict just wasn't looking where he was going.

But omg, it looked violent on TV and got the announcers all fired up, so you know what that means! Idiots.

It's also worth noting that on my mobile phone, the spell checker autocorrected "Burfict" to "butthole." I guess it knows its sports.

AtlantaDan
12-06-2017, 03:47 PM
Of course he is right. And his anger is more than justified. But the league is using a standard for deciding the consequences:

What does the outcome look like in the highlight reels and short video clips on social media?

If the outcome portrays the league as unnecessarily violent, dangerous, and/or has ANYTHING to do with potential head trauma and brain injury it is going to be a very large fine and a likely suspension. If you have the misfortune to commit that transgression in a nationally televised prime-time game -- then the league is going to double-down on your penalty.

It is that simple and straightforward. We can debate rules and how to play the game all we want. But that doesn't matter on this specific issue. It is ONLY about public perception in the eyes of the league.

The league and its broadcasters want it both ways - they deplore the violence but know the ugliest rivalry going right now is Steelers-Bengals. Although most everyone had the Bengals having a mediocre season the two matchups this season get a CBS Sunday afternoon national doubleheader slot and a Monday night game. And this is why.

A bruising and often brutal battle between rivals the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Cincinnati Bengals last night on the Disney-owned cabler delivered a 7.8 result in metered market ratings. With the Steelers winning 23-20, the rating is a jump up of 30% in the early numbers both from last week’s low MNF (http://deadline.com/2017/11/ravens-win-donald-trump-monday-night-football-ratings-low-nfl-espn-1202215530/) and the equivalent game of December 5, 2016.

(http://deadline.com/2016/12/colts-win-monday-night-footballl-ratings-down-victorias-secret-low-the-voice-espn-nbc-1201865252/)http://deadline.com/2017/12/steelers-win-monday-night-football-ratings-rise-the-voice-good-doctor-nbc-espn-1202220263/

I agree with P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo's tweet this afternoon.

And regard Roger Goodell with his new contract as the Captain Renault of the NFL when it comes to profiting off the hits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

Mojouw
12-06-2017, 03:50 PM
The league and its broadcasters want it both ways - they deplore the violence but know the ugliest rivalry going right now is Steelers-Bengals. Although most everyone had the Bengals having a mediocre season the two matchups this season get a CBS Sunday afternoon national doubleheader slot and a Monday night game. And this is why.

A bruising and often brutal battle between rivals the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Cincinnati Bengals last night on the Disney-owned cabler delivered a 7.8 result in metered market ratings. With the Steelers winning 23-20, the rating is a jump up of 30% in the early numbers both from last week’s low MNF (http://deadline.com/2017/11/ravens-win-donald-trump-monday-night-football-ratings-low-nfl-espn-1202215530/) and the equivalent game of December 5, 2016.

(http://deadline.com/2016/12/colts-win-monday-night-footballl-ratings-down-victorias-secret-low-the-voice-espn-nbc-1201865252/)http://deadline.com/2017/12/steelers-win-monday-night-football-ratings-rise-the-voice-good-doctor-nbc-espn-1202220263/

I agree with P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo's tweet this afternoon.

And regard Roger Goodell with his new contract as the Captain Renault of the NFL when it comes to profiting off the hits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

Of course. I mean the league has been talking out of both sides of its ass on this issue from the jump. They want to be perceived as doing something to make things safer but they don't actually want to change anything.

Hawkman
12-06-2017, 03:56 PM
Ray Lewis sticking up for JuJu on Cowterd show. Love it!

AtlantaDan
12-06-2017, 04:13 PM
Of course. I mean the league has been talking out of both sides of its ass on this issue from the jump. They want to be perceived as doing something to make things safer but they don't actually want to change anything.

Pouncey agrees :chuckle:

Apparently the Steelers locker room was on fire during media access today

Hawkman
12-06-2017, 04:22 PM
Pouncey agrees :chuckle:

Apparently the Steelers locker room was on fire during media access today

“Like an old man sending soup back at a deli”???:chuckle::noidea:

AtlantaDan
12-06-2017, 04:36 PM
This just keeps getting more indefensible - when you have no rational explanation consider the possibility you should just STFU

"One game is where we landed" - so it is like parachuting - accuracy is a secondary concern

Mojouw
12-06-2017, 04:47 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/76367/507/week-14-power-rankings

"Monday’s grudge match between the Steelers and Bengals—and when I say grudge match, I really mean it—was barely a football game. It was more like anarchy, a cheap shot festival of horrifying proportions."

"Burfict has done a lot wrong in his career and obviously has a turbulent history with Brown, but no one should ever gloat over another player’s injury, especially something as grave and life-altering as a concussion. That’s mean-spirited, bordering on evil."

"we’re left to pick up the pieces from one of the most unsettling sporting events, NFL or otherwise, in recent memory."

I agree with very little in this piece, but I think we all need a "wake-up call". This is how mostNFL fans feel about Monday night's game. The NFL's business model is largely built on the viewership and dollars of fairly casual fans, many of whom have come to the game via fantasy football and video games. I could quickly run across the internet and find dozens of articles like the one I posted above for every one "hardcore football" piece that defends the nature of the hits in Monday's game and takes the league to task for its inconsistent discipline issues.

This is where things are at now and nothing is going to change that. The NFL that Mike Mitchell and other Steelers players were calling for is gone and it ain't coming back. While it is a crying shame -- it is what it is. Crappy football is better than no football.

- - - Updated - - -

This just keeps getting more indefensible - when you have no rational explanation consider the possibility you should just STFU

"One game is where we landed" - so it is like parachuting - accuracy is a secondary concern

Let me put on my NFL BS translator:

"Gronk is a massive component of casual viewership and a HUGE part of the fantasy football world. Since all we care about is making money, there is no way we could suspend one of our most marketable assets for more than one game."

Butch
12-06-2017, 05:37 PM

Welcome to the other side, you will get used to the foil hat in time.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry but this is total and complete bull crap.

Tell me how the hit to AB was less VIOLENT than the hit by Ju Ju. Keep in mind Ju Ju did not leave his feet and launch himself. The hit by Ioka or whatever his name is was purely helmet to helmet. both hits were on National TV

86WARD
12-06-2017, 05:46 PM
As silly as it sounds, I really wish as a fan We could sue the NFL for inconsistencies like this. They really have no accountability for what they do or don’t do...

Mojouw
12-06-2017, 06:26 PM
Welcome to the other side, you will get used to the foil hat in time.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry but this is total and complete bull crap.

Tell me how the hit to AB was less VIOLENT than the hit by Ju Ju. Keep in mind Ju Ju did not leave his feet and launch himself. The hit by Ioka or whatever his name is was purely helmet to helmet. both hits were on National TV
You're missing my point. It is not about judging the actual violence of the hits. Of course they were equivalent. Anyone that cares to can see that.

It is what the image looks like to the large segment of NFL consumers that could give a shit about context and how to actually play football. To them, Juju standing over a laid out LB looks violent, brutal, and distasteful.

This is the kind of thing that the NFL is reacting to:

https://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/styles/marquee_large_2x/public/2017/12/05/steelers-bengals-juju-smith-schuster-george-iloka-suspension.jpg

One looks like a player celebrating a potentially concussion causing hit to the head. One looks like a player attempting to break up a pass in the endzone that accidentally went to the head. It isn't about what is true. It isn't about what actually happened. It is about what people feel happened. What they think about the images that come from the games. It is about what the NFL can and can not package and sell.

AtlantaDan
12-06-2017, 08:18 PM

Let me put on my NFL BS translator:

"Gronk is a massive component of casual viewership and a HUGE part of the fantasy football world. Since all we care about is making money, there is no way we could suspend one of our most marketable assets for more than one game."

Ramon Foster has an alternative explanation as to to why that is where the NFL "landed" on Gronk's suspension

Foster offered an opinion on why Gronkowski didn't receive a stiffer penalty.

“Why not multiple games?” he said. “Because the Steelers play the Patriots the next week.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13035327-74/its-stupid-steelers-furious-as-nfl-overturns-suspension-for-bengals-george-iloka

Steelers have not been this pissed off since Goodell went after Harrison in 2010

Butch
12-06-2017, 08:43 PM
You're missing my point. It is not about judging the actual violence of the hits. Of course they were equivalent. Anyone that cares to can see that.

It is what the image looks like to the large segment of NFL consumers that could give a shit about context and how to actually play football. To them, Juju standing over a laid out LB looks violent, brutal, and distasteful.

This is the kind of thing that the NFL is reacting to:

https://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/styles/marquee_large_2x/public/2017/12/05/steelers-bengals-juju-smith-schuster-george-iloka-suspension.jpg

One looks like a player celebrating a potentially concussion causing hit to the head. One looks like a player attempting to break up a pass in the endzone that accidentally went to the head. It isn't about what is true. It isn't about what actually happened. It is about what people feel happened. What they think about the images that come from the games. It is about what the NFL can and can not package and sell.

No I understand what you are trying to say, and I would venture to say that you are in a very mast minority of fans who could even consider this an explanation that someone would accept (other than a Steeler hater). The NFL can care less about what fans think they do what they do simply because they can. They try to sell their ideas to the press and fan bases but the only ones who possibly believe their explanations are themselves and apparently you do too. The fact that you are trying to justify this is beyond my understanding and fwiw you will never convince me the NFL has any reason to justify it's actions on this matter.

I am not calling you a Steeler hater, just saying that they would be able to accept your point of view

Mojouw
12-06-2017, 08:55 PM
No I understand what you are trying to say, and I would venture to say that you are in a very mast minority of fans who could even consider this an explanation that someone would accept (other than a Steeler hater). The NFL can care less about what fans think they do what they do simply because they can. They try to sell their ideas to the press and fan bases but the only ones who possibly believe their explanations are themselves and apparently you do too. The fact that you are trying to justify this is beyond my understanding and fwiw you will never convince me the NFL has any reason to justify it's actions on this matter.

THat's the thing - I'm not trying to justify it. I'm not trying to agree with it. And I'm not trying to defend it. I'm trying to argue where I think the league is at with the issue of violent head hits.

The NFL may or may not care about what fans think at an individual level, but they care a great deal (roughly $13 billion worth of caring) about what the public perception in general is regarding the issues of violence in the game, the conduct of the players, and the league's response to CTE/concussions. The general public's response to those 3 issues ARE THE ONLY threats to the 13 billion things the NFL and its owners actually care about.

They are not worried about fans like you and I and our fellow posters on this message board. The NFL makes the assumption that if we are devoted enough to go on the internet and argue about the game, our team, and league policy -- they have us on the hook. They are worried about what I term "casual" fans. Those faceless and nameless folks that tune into televised games to see how their fantasy team is doing, check on their office pool bets, or simply for something to do on a Sunday afternoon or Monday night. Survey the internet and social media -- those folks are horrified, disgusted, and react overwhelmingly negatively to events like what took place in the NE-Buffalo game and the Steelers-Bengals game. It is those large-scale public opinion reactions that is driving almost all NFL decision making now. Essentially, the league is a giant political poll or public opinion meter and whatever is trending is going to govern their response.

Knowing that, which I am not sure that anyone is really debating, teams, players, and fans actually have a somewhat reliable barometer for predicting the league's reactions. While those reactions and decisions by the league are stupid, often incorrect, and full of unintended consequences and blatant favoritism -- they are becoming fairly predictable.

Mojouw
12-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Ramon Foster has an alternative explanation as to to why that is where the NFL "landed" on Gronk's suspension

“Why not multiple games?” he said. “Because the Steelers play the Patriots the next week.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13035327-74/its-stupid-steelers-furious-as-nfl-overturns-suspension-for-bengals-george-iloka

Steelers have not been this pissed off since Goodell went after Harrison in 2010

ANd Foster is right. There was NO WAY that the NFL was going to suspend one of its most marketable stars for a game that has been circled on the schedule by EVERYONE for the better part of a year.

While it may be because the NFL hates the Steelers, it is ALSO because the NFL wants to make sure that in addition to getting every Steeler and Patriot fan to tune in to that game -- they get all the "casual" fans who want to see if Gronk can take it to the Steelers again. Or if LBell can run through an improved Pats defense. Or can Ben finally topple Brady? And on and on -- the NFL was never going to suspend a marketable star player for one of its most highly anticipated games on the entire TV schedule.

Its all about how many eyeballs they can get on how many screens because that makes them lost of money. And star players drive people to those screens.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-06-2017, 09:15 PM
THat's the thing - I'm not trying to justify it. I'm not trying to agree with it. And I'm not trying to defend it. I'm trying to argue where I think the league is at with the issue of violent head hits.

Bomani Jones of ESPN had a good question today when Iloka suspension was reversed and JuJu upheld.

1. Isnt the NFL trying to eliminate head shots to defenseless receivers? That seems to be what Iloka did.

2. Isnt the Iloka hit, a direct shot to the head and no attempt to play the ball....the exact same type of hit that got Vontaze Burfict suspended for 3 games a couple seasons ago?

3. The Smith Schuster play was a case of where "dude gotta keep his head on a swivel, its not like the NFL has ever said they are legislating not keepin your head on a swivel out of the game".

If your point is that the league is at a certain point with hits to the head, then they really gave Iloka a pass on this one because he made no attempt to play the football or tackle the receiver. JuJu at least hit Burfict face up, not behind and not even a side shot.

Bomani Jones then went on to make fun of the fact that the NFL trots Troy Vincent out to quote nonsense, as Vincent said the taunting action had no bearing on the suspension. If the NFL has said they want to take action on head shots, then they give Iloka a pass on the same type of hit, on the same WR, that they suspended Burfict 3 games for and its a joke. Fact is they cant give Iloka 3 games, if they gave Gronk 1 and the taunting made JuJu seem worse than Iloka, so they had to give him something between Iloka and Gronk.

The suspension is a joke, there is no guideline on fines and they don't have an agenda, just the appearance of one. Again, I love the hit by JuJu, sit down this week, rest up and get ready for the following week.

Mojouw
12-06-2017, 09:20 PM
In in increasingly media driven culture, where everyone has to have a "take" - these are the types of opinions that terrify the league office and I feel drive ALL of their decision making.

https://deadspin.com/that-was-bad-football-1821008439

https://deadspin.com/oh-god-this-was-all-so-brutal-1821002618

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/12/5/16737164/steelers-bengals-dangerous-hits-ryan-shazier-vontaze-burfict-joe-mixon

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/12/05/after-brutal-steelers-bengals-game-ben-roethlisberger-hopes-his-son-plays-golf/?utm_term=.bb098a211e07

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/12/5/16736924/steelers-bengals-juju-smith-schuster-vontaze-burfict-george-iloka

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-vs-bengals-final-score-takeaways-dirty-hits-injuries-mar-pittsburgh-win/

None of those articles (and most are really really easy to find) has anything positive to say about the game. Nothing. Most express disgust, anger, and call for more stringent and forceful in-game penalties/ejections and increased post-game discipline. I don't agree with much of what is said in any of those articles, but I am in the minority based on radio, internet, and television comments by non-Steelers and non-Bengals fans. And that is all the NFL cares about.

- - - Updated - - -

Bomani Jones of ESPN had a good question today when Iloka suspension was reversed and JuJu upheld.

1. Isnt the NFL trying to eliminate head shots to defenseless receivers? That seems to be what Iloka did.

2. Isnt the Iloka hit, a direct shot to the head and no attempt to play the ball....the exact same type of hit that got Vontaze Burfict suspended for 3 games a couple seasons ago?

3. The Smith Schuster play was a case of where "dude gotta keep his head on a swivel, its not like the NFL has ever said they are legislating not keepin your head on a swivel out of the game".

If your point is that the league is at a certain point with hits to the head, then they really gave Iloka a pass on this one because he made no attempt to play the football or tackle the receiver. JuJu at least hit Burfict face up, not behind and not even a side shot.

Bomani Jones then went on to make fun of the fact that the NFL trots Troy Vincent out to quote nonsense, as Vincent said the taunting action had no bearing on the suspension. If the NFL has said they want to take action on head shots, then they give Iloka a pass on the same type of hit, on the same WR, that they suspended Burfict 3 games for and its a joke. Fact is they cant give Iloka 3 games, if they gave Gronk 1 and the taunting made JuJu seem worse than Iloka, so they had to give him something between Iloka and Gronk.

The suspension is a joke, there is no guideline on fines and they don't have an agenda, just the appearance of one. Again, I love the hit by JuJu, sit down this week, rest up and get ready for the following week.

I totally agree! It is a joke and it is all about appearances. The suspensions are tied to the perceived level of public outrage and are a "guess" at what it will take to quite things down. Then they contort existing policy to fit what ever predetermined outcome the league needs.

This is a political issue for the NFL and they are reacting like all politicians and bending to public opinion.

fansince'76
12-06-2017, 09:36 PM
Monday’s grudge match between the Steelers and Bengals—and when I say grudge match, I really mean it—was barely a football game. It was more like anarchy, a cheap shot festival of horrifying proportions.

Oh, good lord. Melodrama much? :rolleyes:

Want to talk about REAL carnage on a football field? Check this out:

What It Was Like To Play In The Most Violent NFL Game Ever (https://deadspin.com/what-it-was-like-to-play-in-the-most-violent-nfl-game-e-1478281685)

Not the whole game, but here is a taste of what that game was like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfo4nqhfCf8

I still remember that game vividly 30+ years later.

The writer of that Rotoworld piece needs to start watching tennis. :coffee:

Hawkman
12-06-2017, 09:39 PM
I’ll bet the Iloka suspension would have held up if AB had been carted off on a stretcher.

fansince'76
12-06-2017, 09:56 PM

“Like an old man sending soup back at a deli”??? :chuckle: :noidea:

Old Seinfeld reference (53 seconds in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u8KUgUqprw#

Mojouw
12-06-2017, 10:03 PM

What It Was Like To Play In The Most Violent NFL Game Ever (https://deadspin.com/what-it-was-like-to-play-in-the-most-violent-nfl-game-e-1478281685)

Couldn't agree more, but that is the opinion that the NFL is hearing and responding to. It sucks, but the game hardcore fans and the players know and love is disappearing before our eyes.

Hawkman
12-06-2017, 10:04 PM

:chuckle: Loved that episode, but totally forgot about that line. Made my day.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-06-2017, 10:54 PM

:rofl:
Classic !
- The Sea Was angry that day my friend......
- Is anybody a Marine biologist?
- Hole in one

Its gold Jerry!!!

SteelMember
12-07-2017, 07:28 AM
...and now I hear a snippet this morning that Goodell's contract is up for a 5 year extension... just needs approved. :rolleyes:

Mojouw
12-07-2017, 08:04 AM
...and now I hear a snippet this morning that Goodell's contract is up for a 5 year extension... just needs approved. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure it's been unanimously approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelerFanInStl
12-07-2017, 08:12 AM
I’ll bet the Iloka suspension would have held up if AB had been carted off on a stretcher.

Yep, guaranteed. They punish based on the result of the play, not the act itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely. Everything in this game was blown way out of proportion because of the announcers, primarily Gruden.

tube517
12-07-2017, 08:16 AM

Hawkman
12-07-2017, 08:19 AM

Man, that was more egregious than JuJu’s hit, and that was telecast in prime time.

AtlantaDan
12-07-2017, 08:20 AM

Yep, guaranteed. They punish based on the result of the play, not the act itself.

Of course they punished Ju Ju based on the outcome - but they lied about that being a factor as well yesterday in order to provide further justification for Gronk only getting one game for his assault that placed a player in concussion protocol

We do not get into the intent? WTF?

Fire Goodell
12-07-2017, 11:11 AM

That made me almost smash my phone. This guy is ruining football.:no:

I'm tired off all this BS reactionary discipline. Iloka would have been suspended if AB was carted off the field. Now it's basically the severity of your punishment depends on how badly a player was hurt or appears to be hurt, and not if a rule was actually broken or not. While Juju's hit was more brutal, it was less 'illegal' than Iloka's hit. Juju pretty much squared up and ran straight at Burfict, I wouldn't necessarily call it a blindside block. Iloka actually left his feet and launched into Brown.

Anyway this is becoming a joke, and if penalties / fines are going to be issued based on how injured someone appears to be after a play, we're gonna have a league with drama queens flopping worse than soccer players. When that happens I'll probably quit watching the game.

SteelerFanInStl
12-07-2017, 12:06 PM

I was looking for a video of that play a couple days ago. Rodgers was fined, just like all other instances of crack back blocks this year, but not suspended, and no one cared because they were too busy crying about the supposed "illegal" hit by TJ on Hundley that was clean. That hit was far worse than JuJu's and the front office didn't give a shit about it.

Lady Steel
12-07-2017, 11:23 PM

I agree with Ramon. There was no way the League was going to have Gronk on suspension for the Steelers' game. Absolutely no way.

Hawkman
12-08-2017, 08:35 AM
I will make a small wager, that there will be no football the year of the next CBA......Unless they get these things clarified. Good article by Labs at Steelers.com.

st33lersguy
12-08-2017, 10:31 PM
Of course they punished Ju Ju based on the outcome - but they lied about that being a factor as well yesterday in order to provide further justification for Gronk only getting one game for his assault that placed a player in concussion protocol

We do not get into the intent? WTF?

The league simply has no idea what they are doing. Troy Vincent should be fired from his post as well because he's clueless.

AtlantaDan
12-10-2017, 04:14 PM
The NFL's prisoner in Goodell's PR war tweets a plea for help :wink02:

Born2Steel
12-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Suspension served. Now back to football.

st33lersguy
12-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Sucks for Goodell that he suspends the juju and the steelers still win 39-38

SteelMember
12-11-2017, 02:36 PM
#FREEJUJU

AtlantaDan
12-11-2017, 03:59 PM

:sofunny:

Born2Steel
12-11-2017, 05:20 PM
Sucks for Goodell that he suspends the juju and the steelers still win 39-38

Steelers win both games and the division. That hit on Burfict and subsequent suspension, totally worth it.

43Hitman
12-11-2017, 06:04 PM

:sofunny:

Man I love this kid! I love his attitude, humility, and work ethic