PDA

View Full Version : Was Coty Sensabaugh doing an Antowan Blake impression?

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-04-2017, 11:44 PM
As much as the talk will be the 4 B's as winning the game and the physical play of the teams. I honestly think that if the Steelers didn't pull Sensabaugh at half time, that game ends up as a loss. Good thing that Cam Sutton had a helmet tonight.

Shoes
12-04-2017, 11:45 PM
:chuckle:

teegre
12-04-2017, 11:45 PM
I said it on draft day:

Sutton is the steal of our draft.

BlackAndGold
12-04-2017, 11:49 PM
I said it on draft day:

He and Shaq Griffin were my two favorite mid round corner prospects.

I expect him to start next week.

fansince'76
12-04-2017, 11:51 PM
Was Coty Sensabaugh doing an Antowan Blake impression?
I said basically the same thing last week. I hope to hell Haden is ready to come back SOON.

86WARD
12-04-2017, 11:59 PM
I said it on draft day:

He looked about as good as Sensabaugh did. Hopefully he will learn and get better.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-05-2017, 12:00 AM
I said it on draft day:

We will see. He looked really good in Senior Bowl week and I too was happy he was drafted, but honestly thought he was drafted to play more slot corner than on the outside. I personally don't see him playing much on the outside, but Sensabaugh is worse than Cockrell, but I think at least Cockrell had some trade value.

The 2nd TD was brutal as he had outside technique, so should have seen the slant and Dalton all the way, but didn't react to it at all.

BlackAndGold
12-05-2017, 02:20 AM
Green had zero catches in the 2nd half.

This was an example of good coaching. Good job MT and Butler.

Buckinnuts
12-05-2017, 08:40 AM
must be history the #24 SUCKS!..hurry back Haden

SteelMember
12-05-2017, 09:07 AM

He and LaFell also had some easy drops. I think the rain really helped us... That and the footsteps they were starting to hear.

- - - Updated - - -

Idk, I think Ike Taylor today may be better than any #2 CB we have on the roster now. :chuckle:

tube517
12-05-2017, 09:12 AM

Ike T wore #24

But, the ghost of Tim McKyer (1994 AFCC game vs the Chargers) may have visited Antwon Sensabaugh when Haden was injured.

DesertSteel
12-05-2017, 09:30 AM
As much as the talk will be the 4 B's as winning the game and the physical play of the teams. I honestly think that if the Steelers didn't pull Sensabaugh at half time, that game ends up as a loss. Good thing that Cam Sutton had a helmet tonight.
How did you think Sutton played (you know... other than "better than Sensabaugh")?

- - - Updated - - -

And Andy Dalton... He's a true choke artist.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-05-2017, 09:44 AM
How did you think Sutton played (you know... other than "better than Sensabaugh")?

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly didn't break down that much on Sutton during the game, but I thought he looked like a rookie...a very confident rookie, in that he didn't shy away from the challenge and was trying hard to be in a position to make a play on the football and sometimes he got out of position and had to catch up. Sensabaugh on the other hand looked scared of AJ Green and like he was trying hard to not get beat deep, so instead let Green have every other route in the tree other than 7,8,9. He gave up the hook/curl, slant, out. Again, that 2nd TD was painful to watch as he knew TJ had the hook to flat and should have seen the slant all the way, but I bet he was still worried about the corner route so played cautious.

I recorded the week of Senior Bowl this spring and Sutton was fun to watch in 1 on 1 and full scrimmage, as he just starts with good fundamentals of alignment and footwork, then competes for the football and seems to have a good idea of situations and wr route running that puts him in the right place to challenge.

IMO, Sensabaugh should be a candidate to move to safety, or else will be the #5 or 6 CB on the roster next season. He should be a special teamer only.

SteelMember
12-05-2017, 09:44 AM
No doubt Coty was bad, but Bud was non existent for 99% of the game. We had to start bringing pressures from everywhere else to help mask his pass rush in the second half. Guy runs so far up the arc, he either gives up or is 10 yards past the QB... frustrating. Watt was at least getting close.

SteelerFanInStl
12-05-2017, 10:25 AM
No doubt Coty was bad, but Bud was non existent for 99% of the game. We had to start bringing pressures from everywhere else to help mask his pass rush in the second half. Guy runs so far up the arc, he either gives up or is 10 yards past the QB... frustrating. Watt was at least getting close.

And then there was the play where Bud had Dalton in his arms for a sack and just let him go. He did get a dong sack later though. :lol:

FrancoLambert
12-05-2017, 10:42 AM
While Bud Dupree did his best Jarvis Jones impression.

SteelMember
12-05-2017, 10:58 AM
And then there was the play where Bud had Dalton in his arms for a sack and just let him go. He did get a dong sack later though. :lol:

Yeah, I saw that too. The tackle must have thought he was running up the tunnel to the concession stand and didn't think he was coming back. :chuckle:

Tuitt was right there to clean it up if he decided to let him go again.

teegre
12-05-2017, 02:16 PM
seems to have a good idea of situations and wr route running that puts him in the right place to challenge.

:nod:

During his interview with Tomlin, Tomlin flashed a random picture of the Tennessee defense on the screen, and Sutton was able to tell him what every single player on defense’ assignment/responsibility was on that particular play. Play after play...

The kid is a heady player.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-05-2017, 03:23 PM
:nod:

During his interview with Tomlin, Tomlin flashed a random picture of the Tennessee defense on the screen, and Sutton was able to tell him what every single player on defense’ assignment/responsibility was on that particular play. Play after play...

The kid is a heady player.

Yeah, I noticed in Sr bowl practice, that OJ Howard was at TE and Sutton in the slot, so Howard runs a straight 10 yard out, but tries to stem Sutton more to the middle of the field, so he could get better separation to the sideline, but Sutton just sat on the route until Howard made his break and undercut the passing lane. Some DB's will react to the stem, but Sutton had an idea of the route(maybe from formation, or where on the field they were), so he didn't bite and deflected the pass.

I think its football IQ, which often comes from film study, sometimes comes from guys that have played both sides of the ball and know what the other is trying to do. Its what Sensabaugh should have been doing when he saw Dalton open his shoulders to throw the ball before Green stuck a foot in the ground on the slant. A guy that knows the situation and is mentally going thru the options on that down and distance, makes the pass breakup. Sensabaugh made it easy.

Psycho Ward 86
12-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Sensabaugh sucks but he's an All-Pro compared to Antwon Blake. At least Sensabaugh is getting burned by some good receivers. Its going to be interesting to see how we approach Sutton until Haden is back. Hell, I wonder if it will remain interesting when Haden gets back

cubanstogie
12-05-2017, 06:53 PM
I just watched the second half again on NFL replay I taped this morning. I think they deleted one Cincy drive in which they went 3 and out, and one Steelers drive when the kick off was called back. not sure why. Any way, Sutton did get beat on the TD that was called back due to holding penalty and had a third and 16 completed on sideline against him. Sideline play was perfect throw, his coverage was good, TD he was beat and missed tackle. Other than that his number was never called. Which as a CB tells me he was a success. I noticed he wasn't giving a 15 yard cushion which was nice to see. The whole secondary played great as a unit in second half. Didn't hurt to have a couple of drops. Burns and Hilton played solid. Against the Ravens Im more worried about our LB's than the secondary. Flacco is king of check downs to RB's.

Mojouw
12-05-2017, 06:58 PM
I just watched the second half again on NFL replay I taped this morning. I think they deleted one Cincy drive in which they went 3 and out, and one Steelers drive when the kick off was called back. not sure why. Any way, Sutton did get beat on the TD that was called back due to holding penalty and had a third and 16 completed on sideline against him. Sideline play was perfect throw, his coverage was good, TD he was beat and missed tackle. Other than that his number was never called. Which as a CB tells me he was a success. I noticed he wasn't giving a 15 yard cushion which was nice to see. The whole secondary played great as a unit in second half. Didn't hurt to have a couple of drops. Burns and Hilton played solid. Against the Ravens Im more worried about our LB's than the secondary. Flacco is king of check downs to RB's.

Did it look like they played more man with safety help once Sutton came in? Watching it live they seemed to at least in base packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cubanstogie
12-05-2017, 07:06 PM
yeah I think they did, he actually has some help on the TD called back if I recall but it was late and both missed tackle. Hopefully they will play that way against Pats instead of letting Brady pick apart the zone. I think they learned their lesson last year. We shall see. I really can't say they played more man than first half because first half was a blur to me after Shazier injury. I honestly didn't care at that point. All I knew was Sensabaugh was getting schooled.

SteelMayhem72
12-05-2017, 09:04 PM
No doubt Coty was bad, but Bud was non existent for 99% of the game. We had to start bringing pressures from everywhere else to help mask his pass rush in the second half. Guy runs so far up the arc, he either gives up or is 10 yards past the QB... frustrating. Watt was at least getting close.Dupree has looked lost all season, hell he would have had his first sack if he didn't quit plus several times he would almost get to Dalton and stop. The one sack he did have was Dalton's fault. He's Jarvis Jones 2.0.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Hawkman
12-05-2017, 09:59 PM
Dupree is dropping into coverage 75% of the plays. It’s what he’s being asked to do. A lot of what he’s doing is shadowing the TEs. The sack that he had and let go, I really think he thought that Dalton had thrown the ball. He’s dropping into coverage more than Watt. Be interesting to see how that works against Gronk.

pczach
12-06-2017, 05:42 AM
Dupree is dropping into coverage 75% of the plays. It’s what he’s being asked to do. A lot of what he’s doing is shadowing the TEs. The sack that he had and let go, I really think he thought that Dalton had thrown the ball. He’s dropping into coverage more than Watt. Be interesting to see how that works against Gronk.

Both OLBs are dropping into coverage a lot. I believe they are getting less pass rush opportunities in this scheme than they did in the past under LeBeau. It's going to affect their sack numbers.

SteelMember
12-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Both OLBs are dropping into coverage a lot. I believe they are getting less pass rush opportunities in this scheme than they did in the past under LeBeau. It's going to affect their sack numbers.

Totally understandable if his sack opportunities are down because of what he's being asked to do. My point is, that when he is "rushing", most of the pressures are ineffective. He does have 5 sacks. I guess that's okay, but I'd say we all thought he'd be better. QB pressures, passes defended, tackles for loss... something more.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-06-2017, 09:42 AM
Totally understandable if his sack opportunities are down because of what he's being asked to do. My point is, that when he is "rushing", most of the pressures are ineffective. He does have 5 sacks. I guess that's okay, but I'd say we all thought he'd be better. QB pressures, passes defended, tackles for loss... something more.

Agreed, unless they are asking him to run around the outside of the pocket, his lack of ability or effort to take a shorter path to the QB is mind boggling and frustrating.

On Monday, there was a play where Andre Smith kick slide was so exaggerated to the upfield and outside, that he completely left an inside lane to rush. I was completely shaking my head, as that is a simple...right foot, left foot, then stick the next right foot step to the B gap and at the QB rush move. He could have chosen to stick a hand in the OT chest, or just dip and rip on the way thru, but the RT badly left the inside gate open for a counter and Dupree did nothing.

Dalton threw the ball on a 3 step drop, so Bud would not have got to him anyways, but that gives the RT across from you something to worry about, so if you keep him honest to the inside, you have a better chance getting to the outside of him on another rush. Pass rushing is a chess game and Dupree is playing checkers still.

pczach
12-06-2017, 06:08 PM
Agreed, unless they are asking him to run around the outside of the pocket, his lack of ability or effort to take a shorter path to the QB is mind boggling and frustrating.

On Monday, there was a play where Andre Smith kick slide was so exaggerated to the upfield and outside, that he completely left an inside lane to rush. I was completely shaking my head, as that is a simple...right foot, left foot, then stick the next right foot step to the B gap and at the QB rush move. He could have chosen to stick a hand in the OT chest, or just dip and rip on the way thru, but the RT badly left the inside gate open for a counter and Dupree did nothing.

Dalton threw the ball on a 3 step drop, so Bud would not have got to him anyways, but that gives the RT across from you something to worry about, so if you keep him honest to the inside, you have a better chance getting to the outside of him on another rush. Pass rushing is a chess game and Dupree is playing checkers still.

True. As an edge rusher you are always setting up the next move.

I keep telling myself it has to be the shoulder, because he never makes that inside move. If he would just show it a couple times, it would make his outside speed rush many times more effective.

Offensive tackles are cheating to stop the outside speed rush. They aren't even considering him coming back underneath to the inside. It's right there for the taking.

hawaiiansteeler
12-06-2017, 06:31 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQP3-aeWsAE5JIF.jpg

pczach
12-06-2017, 06:46 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQP3-aeWsAE5JIF.jpg

Clearly Sensabaugh thought he could only step on the black portion of the end zone and was jumping from the "L" to the "S".

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-06-2017, 06:59 PM

This was an example of good coaching. Good job MT and Butler. This! Dalton and company had there way with us also in the first half of the first game we played them. We shut them down after in both games in the second half. Credit to the coaches for making adjustments.

- - - Updated - - -

Sensabaugh is nothing special but AJ Green mugged him to get that first TD. Don't forget that.

SteelerFanInStl
12-06-2017, 07:22 PM
Clearly Sensabaugh thought he could only step on the black portion of the end zone and was jumping from the "L" to the "S".

I'm not going to make excuses for Sensabaugh because he sucks but Green give him a big shove on that play to get himself that open. If I remember correctly, I think that Coty slipped a bit after the shove.

Psycho Ward 86
12-06-2017, 08:04 PM
Sutton had 38% of the defensive snaps against the Bengals: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12/steelers-vs-bengals-player-snap-counts-week-13-2/

teegre
12-07-2017, 06:27 AM

Dupree has a great burst. But, OTs simply run him up field and out of the play.

Chuck Smith (the pass-rush guru) worked with Dupree on his counter moves, and Smith averred that Dupree would be a DPOY candidate. Well... I’m not seeing anything new out of Dupree. Same old thing: run up field and out of the play. Ugh.

Maybe it is an injured shoulder... maybe. :huh:

Hawkman
12-07-2017, 12:12 PM

Chuck Smith (the pass-rush guru) worked with Dupree on his counter moves, and Smith averred that Dupree would be a DPOY candidate. Well... I’m not seeing anything new out of Dupree. Same old thing: run up field and out of the play. Ugh.

Thread topics are just "loosely" implied.....right?:rofl2:

Fire Goodell
12-07-2017, 12:17 PM

He reminds me of Jason GilDong's tactic of looping around the Horn of Africa and hoping for a coverage sack