PDA

View Full Version : What do the Steelers do at LB'er?

Shoes
12-04-2017, 11:11 PM
Praying all goes well for Shazier health. But if Ryan and Red are out for sometime what do the Steelers do? Any players available on the street?

Mojouw
12-04-2017, 11:13 PM
Deebo gets on last ride at OLB and I get Watt ready at ILB if I am in charge of the team.

86WARD
12-04-2017, 11:15 PM
Not sure how accurate this list is:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171205/ec9ed08fd6e3887d4c777cdde6767564.jpg

fansince'76
12-04-2017, 11:16 PM
Deebo gets on last ride at OLB and I get Watt ready at ILB if I am in charge of the team.

This. It's Deebo time, definitely.

Shoes

That may be a good idea.

Mojouw

Sean Spence jumps off that list because he has the best chance of "getting on the moving train" due to familiarity with the defense.

86WARD
12-04-2017, 11:17 PM
Is McClain suspended?

Shoes
12-04-2017, 11:18 PM

McClain, isn't he in jail for something? :chuckle:

86WARD
12-04-2017, 11:19 PM
McClain, isn't he in jail for something? :chuckle:

He might be...lol.

Devilsdancefloor
12-04-2017, 11:24 PM
lj fort did a decent job, but i did see Watt lined up there as well. to bad steven johnson is a ratbird now

Shoes
12-04-2017, 11:27 PM
lj fort did a decent job, but i did see Watt lined up there as well. to bad steven johnson is a ratbird now

There was a lot of confusion when he (LJ Fort) was on the field, that isn't going to fly.

DesertSteel
12-04-2017, 11:39 PM
Red looked terrible when he was out there. I like the moving TJ idea.

teegre
12-04-2017, 11:41 PM

Even when everyone was healthy, moving Watt to ILB was an idea we’ve lobbed about...

BlackAndGold
12-05-2017, 01:19 AM
Watt to ILB is possible, but I'll assume they'll give Fort the opportunity

Expect to see Gay a lot on 3rd down.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-05-2017, 01:25 AM
Even when everyone was healthy, moving Watt to ILB was an idea we’ve lobbed about... Yep and I was one of the many who mentioned it as well. Give it a try!

BlackAndGold
12-05-2017, 02:08 AM
I have a hard time seeing them move Watt to ILB. He's a rookie who was drafted to be an OLB. Can't see them putting him there much.

hawaiiansteeler
12-05-2017, 04:23 AM
I have a hard time seeing them move Watt to ILB. He's a rookie who was drafted to be an OLB. Can't see them putting him there much.

I agree

teegre
12-05-2017, 06:39 AM

Full time, maybe not.

But, Watt lines up there quite a bit already. He’s not playing the Derrick Thomas “hawk” position (yet), but give him a year, and that’s how I see him being used.

That said, that’s more for the distant & permanent future. For now, I expect a lot more 4-3, a lot more done with Gay as the ILB, and some Fort at ILB... and Watt at ILB (just a little more than he’s been doing).

SteelMember
12-05-2017, 07:04 AM

I'd venture to say that they obviously have to get Harrison into the OLB rotation and possibly go with Chickillo to the inside instead of Watt as backup to Fort.

Prayers to Shazier... words (speculation) from some of the players were "spinal concussion".

tube517
12-05-2017, 07:06 AM
Moats has played ILB before. I'd say he's the backup to Fort.

So don't cross the Moats to get to the Fort. :chuckle:

ETL
12-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Give Fort a chance. He looked confused because he was - after not having played for a while

i think a week of reps with starters will help.

Moats should backup Fort

FrancoLambert
12-05-2017, 08:44 AM
Red looked terrible when he was out there. I like the moving TJ idea.

He's a decent special teams player.....certainly not a defensive starter.....and a questionable backup at a key position.

Mojouw
12-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Give Fort a chance. He looked confused because he was - after not having played for a while

i think a week of reps with starters will help.

Moats should backup Fort

Forgot about that! Moats was a heck of an ILB in Buffalo.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-05-2017, 10:14 AM
Forgot about that! Moats was a heck of an ILB in Buffalo.

Really?? I didn't think he played any ILB. He was drafted as a Defensive End from James Madison and because of his college resume and quickness, was drafted to convert to an OLB pass rusher like many undersized college DE's.

Anyways, I think the Steelers roll with who they have and will plan to go with Fort and Matakevich until Shazier is able to play again.

SteelMember
12-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Really?? I didn't think he played any ILB. He was drafted as a Defensive End from James Madison and because of his college resume and quickness, was drafted to convert to an OLB pass rusher like many undersized college DE's.

Anyways, I think the Steelers roll with who they have and will plan to go with Fort and Matakevich until Shazier is able to play again.

If Matakevich is going to be available... went out with a shoulder, so I was going with "what do we do" if he's out as well. I don't think you'd want to have to go with either of the LB's on the practice squad at this point. Jame Harrison has to be in the active rotation, then you move someone else to ILB.

Mojouw
12-05-2017, 10:25 AM

Not sure what the overall scheme was, but Buffalo yanked him around the formation. http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Moats-embracing-defined-defensive-role/42cd752a-b77b-4962-ac38-c648b3169965

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-05-2017, 10:32 AM
If Matakevich is going to be available... went out with a shoulder, so I was going with "what do we do" if he's out as well. I don't think you'd want to have to go with either of the LB's on the practice squad at this point. Jame Harrison has to be in the active rotation, then you move someone else to ILB.

True, but I think if Matakevich is out as well, they still are looking for ILB for 2 downs (Fort) and when they are in nickel or Dime, then they can actually play a safety in the box if needed. If Mitchell is back, then Bob Golden becomes the 3rd down LB, or Wilcox at 215Lbs probably isn't a bad move.

On the other hand, if they want more bulk, I think Chickillo is a likely candidate to play inside. He is a guy that played 5 technique DE in college and I think in highschool was more of a 4-3DE, so he is used to playing the run or pass for the past 10+ seasons of his football career and he has played in between the tackles, not just on the outside.

steelreserve
12-05-2017, 10:33 AM
Since we play nickel somewhere between a third and half the time, simply switching from a 2-4-5 to a 3-3-5, effectively subbing Hargrave in for Fort or Maktavich, solves a lot of that problem.

On the other downs ... I thought Moats played both positions when we signed him, but he seems to be buried so far at the end of the bench that I forgot he's even on the team. I doubt that'll be the answer, they'll probably go with Fort, unsteady as that has looked.

FrancoLambert
12-05-2017, 10:36 AM
First, I'd go with moving TJ inside and give Deebo a helmet. Seems like the best (not ideal) option going forward.

IMO TJ and Deeb combo >>>Matakevich, Fort, or Moats getting a lot of snaps.

If TJ can't handle the inside spot reasonably well, then I'd look to the others.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Since we play nickel somewhere between a third and half the time, simply switching from a 2-4-5 to a 3-3-5, effectively subbing Hargrave in for Fort or Maktavich, solves a lot of that problem.

On the other downs ... I thought Moats played both positions when we signed him, but he seems to be buried so far at the end of the bench that I forgot he's even on the team. I doubt that'll be the answer, they'll probably go with Fort, unsteady as that has looked.

I like Fort, he is athletic and can tackle. I don't see a lot of better options other than Fort honestly, so if they can be healthy, then Williams and Fort, with one of them coming out in sub packages. I still think somebody gets elevated from the PS as a reserve, or else Deebo gets a hat and either Chick or Moats backs up inside too.

BlackAndGold
12-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Fort played amazing during the preseason. I say give him a chance after a full week of practice.

DesertSteel
12-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Fort > Red (even if healthy)

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-05-2017, 12:39 PM
Fort > Red (even if healthy)

In space yes. I think Red is a 2 down LB that can play inside, but isn't athletic enough to get to the edges or play in space.

DesertSteel
12-05-2017, 01:39 PM
In space yes. I think Red is a 2 down LB that can play inside, but isn't athletic enough to get to the edges or play in space.
I've been pretty impressed with him till last night. I isolated on him for about 10 plays and he looked completely lost.

Born2Steel
12-05-2017, 01:45 PM
But I thought we were good at ILB....:panic:

teegre
12-05-2017, 01:58 PM
I isolated on him for about 10 plays and he looked completely lost.

:nod: So did the Bengals’ offensive coordinator.

Looking forward, Belichick will run 60 plays (the entire gameplan) right at Red.

DesertSteel
12-05-2017, 02:17 PM
But I thought we were good at ILB....:panic:
It's not like they didn't try to sign somebody!

Psycho Ward 86
12-05-2017, 03:44 PM

We have a winner. Matakevich looked like absolute trash in the few snaps he was in on. LJ Fort doesnt know this defense at all and probably isnt any better, so much so that Gay had to come in for him as a pseudo-linebacker. Seriously, a tiny cornerback like Gay. If we think that little of our other ILB's, we need to adapt to put our BEST players on the field instead of pushing in roster place holders that just so happen to play a certain position. TJ has the brains to do this and he looks comfortable blitzing from anywhere. If we dont want to use Deebo now, then we never will.

Deebo needs at least one tuneup game anyways before the real fun begins

- - - Updated - - -

It's not like they didn't try to sign somebody!

I do wonder what the ripple effect would have been if we got Donta Hightower. Do we ever end up with Joe Haden (Probably?)? Vance McDonald? Boy oh boy, would that OLB and ILB rotation look amazing. Then again Hightower with all of his injuries probably would leave us with what we currently have anyways

AtlantaDan
12-05-2017, 04:15 PM

BlackAndGold
12-05-2017, 04:23 PM
Who gets cut, or placed on IR?

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-05-2017, 04:26 PM

I like that move. Never knew he was off a roster.

Hawkman
12-05-2017, 04:31 PM

Big Dan I’ll bet

Mojouw
12-05-2017, 04:33 PM

Maybe no one? If I remember correctly, Gilbert's 4 game suspension meant he didn't count towards the 53 for 4 games. I thought that was how Sutton came off IR with no one getting released.

So Juju sits for a game and Spence takes his roster spot? If Juju wins the appeal and isn't suspended then I figure Big Dan, Matt Fieler or Justin Hunter gets the axe.

BlackAndGold
12-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Big Dan I’ll bet

Won't rule out Tyler going to IR if his shoulder is truly banged up.

DesertSteel
12-05-2017, 04:43 PM
You really didn't know he's been gone for two years? :p

I like the move too.

- - - Updated - - -

I do wonder what the ripple effect would have been if we got Donta Hightower. Do we ever end up with Joe Haden (Probably?)? Vance McDonald? Boy oh boy, would that OLB and ILB rotation look amazing. Then again Hightower with all of his injuries probably would leave us with what we currently have anywaysThere's always a lot of 'what if's.' TBH, my first thought last night was "If Ben doesn't throw that bad interception, that play with Shazier never happens." But you can't play that game. If DH had come here he may have played out the season with no injuries or he could've been injured the first game.

Neversatisfied
12-05-2017, 04:53 PM
The Steelers will wind up drafting another LB early in next year's draft.....again

BlackAndGold
12-05-2017, 05:55 PM
The Steelers will wind up drafting another LB early in next year's draft.....again

Too early to say that.

tube517
12-05-2017, 06:35 PM

Colts released him earlier this year. I wanted him back for depth. Don't know what he has left.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-05-2017, 06:43 PM
You really didn't know he's been gone for two years? :p

I like the move too.

- - - Updated - - -

There's always a lot of 'what if's.' TBH, my first thought last night was "If Ben doesn't throw that bad interception, that play with Shazier never happens." But you can't play that game. If DH had come here he may have played out the season with no injuries or he could've been injured the first game.

I thought he was on an NFL roster somewhere. The last place I heard was Tennessee. I know he has been gone from the Steelers. :buttkick: I just didn't know he was on the sofa waiting for a call.

DesertSteel
12-05-2017, 06:46 PM
I thought he was on an NFL roster somewhere. The last place I heard was Tennessee. I know he has been gone from the Steelers. :buttkick: I just didn't know he was on the sofa waiting for a call.
I thought you meant from the Steelers!

And I hope he was in the squat rack not on the sofa when they called.