PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben on Eli's benching: 'They could do that to me' one day

polamalubeast
11-30-2017, 05:44 PM
Roethlisberger doesn't think the Steelers would treat him the same way the Giants did Eli

The New York Giants decided this week that Eli Manning's time as their starting quarterback is over. Manning started 210 consecutive games for the Giants, but Geno Smith will be under center for the team's game against the Oakland Raiders on Sunday. The decision has been met with varying degrees of derision in league circles, and the latest person to weigh in is Manning's 2004 draft-mate, Ben Roethlisberger.

"It sparks the reality that that could be me," Roethlisberger said, per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "They could do that to me next year or whenever, who knows? It's eye-opening that you have to take every play, every game. Don't take it for granted. Take it for what it is because you never know when you're done."
Earlier this season, Roethlisberger mused that he might not have "it" anymore.

read more

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/big-ben-on-elis-benching-they-could-do-that-to-me-one-day/

Butch
11-30-2017, 06:00 PM
Interesting article, and like Ben I don't think the Steelers would do that to him. I find it interesting that he states the Black and Gold bleeds through him. This is why I am such a fan of Ben.

hawaiiansteeler
12-01-2017, 01:41 AM
the thing that amazes me about the Giants benching Eli is that they're going to start Geno Smith instead of him. seriously, Geno Smith? :huh:

fansince'76
12-01-2017, 03:45 AM
the thing that amazes me about the Giants benching Eli is that they're going to start Geno Smith instead of him. seriously, Geno Smith? :huh:

Not so far-fetched considering there were people right here earlier in the season (and particularly after he had the worst game of his career against Jacksonville) who were calling for Dobbs/Jones to start in Roethlisberger's place.

86WARD
12-01-2017, 06:09 AM

McAdoo is looking for “tape” on Geno to evaluate him...lol. He must not be able to get his hands on the garbage tapes that Geno has in a Jets uniform...

AtlantaDan
12-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Interesting article, and like Ben I don't think the Steelers would do that to him.

If they did we would get Peak Ben in the weekly Tuesday morning radio appearance following that benching :chuckle:

BlackAndGold
12-01-2017, 09:07 AM
So is Ben saying he is not retiring after this year?

polamalubeast
12-01-2017, 09:25 AM
So is Ben saying he is not retiring after this year?

To be honest, I would be surprised if this year is his last year.

BlackAndGold
12-01-2017, 09:36 AM

At the beginning of the season I would disagree, but it seems he is having fun(winning does that) but If this team wins it all I still think he considers it. Rare to go out on top.

polamalubeast
12-01-2017, 09:42 AM
At the beginning of the season I would disagree, but it seems he is having fun(winning does that) but If this team wins it all I still think he considers it. Rare to go out on top.

If he wins the super bowl, maybe Ben will want to match Bradshaw for the super bowl wins...We'll see, but the fact that it's probably the most talented team in his career, the chances he's coming back are better.

If the team would be like in 2012 and 2013, the chances of him coming back would be lower

Shoes
12-01-2017, 11:12 AM

Agreed, which is why I won't be surprised when they pass on a (Ben replacement) QB in 2018 draft. I think Ben will play at least two more years, Dobbs will be #2 next year.

polamalubeast
12-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Agreed, which is why I won't be surprised when they pass on a (Ben replacement) QB in 2018 draft. I think Ben will play at least two more years, Dobbs will be #2 next year.

Also, I even think it's possible that Ben has an contract extension of one or two years after the season(late February or early March) to lower his cap hit for the 2018 season and that would also make Ben to have more money for the 2018 season,who would be a win-win for both sides!

DesertSteel
12-01-2017, 01:08 PM
Not so far-fetched considering there were people right here earlier in the season (and particularly after he had the worst game of his career against Jacksonville) who were calling for Dobbs/Jones to start in Roethlisberger's place.
I never saw any post to that effect, unless it was tongue in cheek.

Shoes
12-01-2017, 01:46 PM
Also, I even think it's possible that Ben has an contract extension of one or two years after the season(late February or early March) to lower his cap hit for the 2018 season and that would also make Ben to have more money for the 2018 season,who would be a win-win for both sides!

:thumbsup:

pczach
12-02-2017, 10:47 AM

I did.......and it wasn't tongue in cheek.

polamalubeast
12-02-2017, 10:50 AM

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/27790-For-the-First-Time-Ever-*that*-Thought-Crossed-My-Mind%E2%80%94Bench-Ben?highlight=Bench

Shoes
12-02-2017, 11:37 AM

Check out the game day threads. :chuckle:

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-02-2017, 07:18 PM
I did.......and it wasn't tongue in cheek. Different circumstances and me and some wanted Ben benched for a game just to lite a fire under him. We still knew he is the best option a QB to win this year. Eli's benching is crap and no way does Geno Smith give them a better chance to win. Somewhat understandably if he was benched to see what they have in their rookie. Obvious not the case though.

12-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Also if Ben does retire I wouldn't mind a trade for Eli for a 1 or 2 year deal. Depends how much we would have to give up though. 2nd rd pick I would even be good with.

fansince'76
12-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Also if Ben does retire I wouldn't mind a trade for Eli for a 1 or 2 year deal. Depends how much we would have to give up though. 2nd rd pick I would even be good with.

IMO, that would only be delaying the inevitable, like when the Broncos "rented" Eli's brother near the end of his career. Sure, the Broncos went to 2 SBs and won one during that time, but Peyton > Eli as well. Now the Broncos are in the midst of the longest losing streak they've had in 50 years.

Kirk Cousins, on the other hand...

12-02-2017, 08:43 PM
IMO, that would only be delaying the inevitable, like when the Broncos "rented" Eli's brother near the end of his career. Sure, the Broncos went to 2 SBs and won one during that time, but Peyton > Eli as well. Now the Broncos are in the midst of the longest losing streak they've had in 50 years.

Kirk Cousins, on the other hand... Of course it would be delaying the inevitable. This team is built to win it for the next couple years. All about who has more trophies and if Eli can help us win won I'm for it. Wouldn't mind Cousins either!

Iron Steeler
12-02-2017, 09:06 PM
win the superbowl... 49-7 against the eagles... get all jacked up and come back for 5 more years!

teegre
12-03-2017, 06:49 AM
I would bet a huge amount that if/when BB wins the SuperBowl at the end of this season, he will retire.

Three reasons why:
-his best friend (Heath) is retired
-he saw Bettis go out on top
-his knees

pczach
12-03-2017, 08:42 AM
Different circumstances and me and some wanted Ben benched for a game just to lite a fire under him. We still knew he is the best option a QB to win this year. Eli's benching is crap and no way does Geno Smith give them a better chance to win. Somewhat understandably if he was benched to see what they have in their rookie. Obvious not the case though.

Some people say it every week in the Game Day thread. They say that he's done and he's holding the team down. That it's time to get rid of him.

I didn't name you specifically. I just know that I have seen fans call for Ben's head many, many times. And by calling for his head, I mean he should retire, they should bench him for good, or they should release him outright.

As you can see plainly in his last five games or so, that is an asinine point of view that short-sided fans have proving that they don't have much football knowledge. However, they will continue to spew horrible ideas and criticism whenever the team doesn't uphold their lofty expectations.

Craic
12-03-2017, 03:18 PM
I would bet a huge amount that if/when BB wins the SuperBowl at the end of this season, he will retire.

Three reasons why:
-his knees

I was thinking the same thing. Then again, he's also competitive enough that if the won a SB this year, and the Steelers managed to keep this team together, I could see him thinking, "I've only got one more to win to tie the Steelers record."

Lady Steel
12-04-2017, 01:20 AM

Three reasons why:
-his knees

Also,

- his wife and children

teegre
12-04-2017, 06:18 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Then again, he's also competitive enough that if the won a SB this year, and the Steelers managed to keep this team together, I could see him thinking, "I've only got one more to win to tie the Steelers record."

On the day that BB was drafted, BB stated that his goal was to win “one more” than Bradshaw. In 2008, it looked possible. Now... I think he gets his third and calls it a career.

I totally see your point about the weapons around him. And thus, after winning the SuperBowl, he will not retire immediately. But, after an off-season at home with the wife & kids, I bet he’ll retire.

And (honestly), what more “Ben” thing to do than announce that he is coming back... and then, say/do the complete opposite. I can only bet he’ll make the announcement during his Tuesday morning radio show.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-04-2017, 12:46 PM
"Nothing in life is guaranteed". "Father Time is undefeated", "Time heals all wounds".

It could happen, it wouldn't matter to me, as nothing is finite. Most of us see the end is near for Ben's playing days, those that don't are just fooling themselves and should look back to their favorite players of the past. Joe Greene, T.B., Franco, Stallworth, Lambert, Levon Kirkland, Woodson, Dawson, Faneca, Porter, Lloyd, Greene, Ward, Bettis, etc. They all were lesser players with declining production at the end of their career and I think we see Ben on that slope, so I just enjoy him for what he can do and know that someday in the next 1-3 seasons, there will be another starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers and I will still be a fan.