PDA

View Full Version : Watt a spectacle: Steelers rookie ruins Packers in second half.

stillers4me
11-27-2017, 08:43 AM
Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Rookie T.J. Watt knew where he was supposed to be in the middle of the third quarter Sunday night, with a football game they couldn’t possibly lose slip-sliding away from the Steelers in their own back yard.

Watt was supposed to be helping a defense that was blowing chunk plays all over the Heinz Field lawn, and at one crystalline point he was supposed to be dropping into coverage against one of the greatest wideouts in the great and storied history of the Green Bay Packers.

Wait, Watt must have thought, am I standing here in space across from Jordy Nelson? Is this real?

“I grew up watching Jordy Nelson; I’m from Wisconsin,” Watt said after his three late splash plays steadied Pittsburgh just long enough for an heroic offense to push its nose across the wire for a 31-28 victory on the final play............

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/11/27/Steelers-Packers-Watt-Tomlin-Collier/stories/201711270103

86WARD
11-27-2017, 08:50 AM
That sack he had after dropping into coverage and then coming up to make the sack was crazy good.

tube517
11-27-2017, 08:55 AM
That sack he had after dropping into coverage and then coming up to make the sack was crazy good.

He came from all the way in coverage. I saw him running and thought Hundley was dead.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-27-2017, 10:06 AM
He came from all the way in coverage. I saw him running and thought Hundley was dead.

Yeah, had the makings of a Dupree on Matt Moore hit.

Mojouw
11-27-2017, 10:08 AM
The play in coverage and the "spy" sack - that should finally silence any questions about Watt's athleticism. Now he just has to get stronger and better at disengaging from tackles.

DesertSteel
11-27-2017, 10:37 AM
I'm shocked it wasn't a personal foul for roughing. Wow!

teegre
11-27-2017, 02:10 PM
I'm shocked it wasn't a personal foul for roughing. Wow!

Hundley tucked the ball to run. Once a runner, the "QB protection" goes out the window.

Craic
11-27-2017, 03:20 PM
The play in coverage and the "spy" sack - that should finally silence any questions about Watt's athleticism. Now he just has to get stronger and better at disengaging from tackles.

Yep, that's exactly what I said in another thread. Either his highlight tape lied or he's about to get busted for PEDs. However, since he still gets swallowed up by OTs, I figure it's the former. :chuckle:

Mojouw
11-27-2017, 03:22 PM
Yep, that's exactly what I said in another thread. Either his highlight tape lied or he's about to get busted for PEDs. However, since he still gets swallowed up by OTs, I figure it's the former. :chuckle:

I've been waiting for JJ Watt and Clay Matthews to get busted for PEDs for years. Both of those guys played in the NFL far better than they did in college. Maybe they share a doctor? I mention those two for obvious reasons - Matthews is a great comp for Watt's ceiling and the other is related.

Craic
11-27-2017, 03:23 PM
Hundley tucked the ball to run. Once a runner, the "QB protection" goes out the window.

I didn't think he tucked it to run. From what I remember, didn't he have his eyes down field, and then stepped up in the pocket, only tucking the ball when he realized he was about to get hit? Since his eyes were still down field until he tucked for the hit, he's still under the QB protection. (But, I fully admit I was suffering from tryptophan withdrawals, so I may have seen it wrong).

SteelerFanInStl
11-27-2017, 05:24 PM
I didn't think he tucked it to run. From what I remember, didn't he have his eyes down field, and then stepped up in the pocket, only tucking the ball when he realized he was about to get hit? Since his eyes were still down field until he tucked for the hit, he's still under the QB protection. (But, I fully admit I was suffering from tryptophan withdrawals, so I may have seen it wrong).

Hundley was trying to get out of the pocket and was headed toward the hole between his C and LG. He wasn't looking downfield. He couldn't see TJ coming because of the C in front of him. He then saw TJ coming at him and ducked and tried to spin out of it. That's when TJ hit him. TJ was coming in low and it would've been a textbook tackle if Hundley hadn't ducked. Start at around 15 seconds in this video:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017112611/2017/REG12/Packers@Steelers?icampaign=scoreStrip-globalNav-2017112611#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap30000008 83785&tab=videos

86WARD
11-27-2017, 07:11 PM

I believe once he starts moving towards the LOS and the ball is down, he’s a runner according to rules.

SteelerFanInStl
11-27-2017, 08:11 PM
I believe once he starts moving towards the LOS and the ball is down, he’s a runner according to rules.

Yep, and that's exactly what he was doing.

DesertSteel
11-27-2017, 08:28 PM
He was taking cover and trying to fall forward. So I guess that constitutes running :). Either way, I was RELIEVED!!