PDA

View Full Version : Alan Faneca and Hines Ward semi-finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, again

polamalubeast
11-22-2017, 07:00 AM
Another year, another chance for a huge group of NFL players and coaches to become enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, OH, released their 2018 Hall of Fame Semi-Finalists, and two members of the Pittsburgh Steelers were among those awaiting the final phone call.

Those two players were Alan Faneca and Hines Ward, both of whom have reached this stage of the process once already. But the question remains whether they’ll be finalists this year with a star-studded cast of characters also awaiting the call.

Take a look at the complete list of semi-finalists below:

read more

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2017/11/22/16686544/steelers-news-alan-faneca-and-hines-ward-semi-finalists-for-the-pro-football-hall-of-fame-again-nfl

polamalubeast
11-22-2017, 07:46 AM

tube517
11-22-2017, 07:52 AM
Faneca should get in. Hines will be waiting a few years.

SteelerFanInStl
11-22-2017, 08:12 AM
Faneca should've been in last year. I think that Hines deserves it also but there's so many other WRs that have gaudier stats. With Moss and TO both finalists also this year, I don't think that there's any way that Hines will get selected.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-22-2017, 08:28 AM
Faneca should get in. Hines will be waiting a few years.

Mawae, Joe Jacoby, Boselli, Hutchinson are all O linemen as worthy as Faneca. Something tells me that Kevin Mawae and or Joe Jacoby get in and Alan still has to wait. Mawae was the best center of his era and Jacoby might the sympathy vote because he has been waiting so long and his linemate Grimm already got in.

IMO, Boselli is the Terrell Davis of O linemen, great but injury cut career short. I also agree with you that Hines waits and Moss or TO get in before him, as they should.

GBMelBlount
11-22-2017, 09:30 AM
Mawae, Joe Jacoby, Boselli, Hutchinson are all O linemen as worthy as Faneca. Something tells me that Kevin Mawae and or Joe Jacoby get in and Alan still has to wait. Mawae was the best center of his era and Jacoby might the sympathy vote because he has been waiting so long and his linemate Grimm already got in.

IMO, Boselli is the Terrell Davis of O linemen, great but injury cut career short. I also agree with you that Hines waits and Moss or TO get in before him, as they should.

I think Faneca has more pro bowls than any of those you mention.

In fact, I would imagine there may only be a handful of offensive linemen, ever, with as many pro bowls as Faneca.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-22-2017, 09:41 AM
I think Faneca has more pro bowls than any of those you mention.

In fact, I would imagine there may only be a handful of offensive linemen, ever, with as many pro bowls as Faneca.

Are we really using pro bowls as measuring sticks for HOf? It becomes sometimes a function of who does or does not want to go and other less than objective factors. BTW Tyrod Taylor made a pro bowl. Maybe all pro could be a better test.

Faneca was a 6 time all pro. Steve Hutchinson was a 7 time first team all pro. Kevin Mawae was a 7 time all pro. I think those 2 players had the great kind of careers that Faneca did. Boselli and Jacoby are a different discussion IMO.

GBMelBlount
11-22-2017, 01:36 PM
Are we really using pro bowls as measuring sticks for HOf?

It becomes sometimes a function of who does or does not want to go and other less than objective factors. BTW Tyrod Taylor made a pro bowl. Maybe all pro could be a better test.

Faneca was a 6 time all pro. Steve Hutchinson was a 7 time first team all pro. Kevin Mawae was a 7 time all pro. I think those 2 players had the great kind of careers that Faneca did. Boselli and Jacoby are a different discussion IMO.

Yes.

It sounds like you are right. Faneca has some serious competition.

st33lersguy
11-22-2017, 01:57 PM
Faneca is due to get in. Best guard of his era, he needs to get in.

ALLD
11-22-2017, 05:13 PM
Faneca should've been in last year. I think that Hines deserves it also but there's so many other WRs that have gaudier stats. With Moss and TO both finalists also this year, I don't think that there's any way that Hines will get selected.

Ward was Super Bowl XL MVP. That should push him over the top.

86WARD
11-23-2017, 09:06 AM
Ward will get in...it's just going to take a very long time...

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-23-2017, 11:33 PM
Yes.

It sounds like you are right. Faneca has some serious competition.

Yes, and I think for some reason he didn't get the media attention that Mawae did (being in NY and arguably the best center) or Hutchinson in both Seattle and Minnesota (remember the big free agent deal the Vikings pulled to get him?) Maybe for Faneca, he didn't get as much attention because of Marvel Smith, Jeff Hartings, etc that were around him, but I feel like guard is the least glamorous position and Faneca played it like a low key tough guy, while the others got a bit more medial gloss.

In the end, he will get in IMO, if not this year then the next 2. I still think he doesn't get his due for playing half the year at LT in (I think his 2nd season) due to injury. The guy hadn't played OT since highschool and he steps in and mans the blindsind.