PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Gilbert Suspended Four Games For Violation Of NFL’s PED Policy

polamalubeast
11-20-2017, 03:18 PM

Psycho Ward 86
11-20-2017, 03:21 PM
entirely possible that Gilbert was trying to use PED's to recover from his hamstring injury. Happens all the time. Hamstring/Groin injuries are especially lingering ailments.

Just our luck, we wont have him for the Pats game. Belichick will definitely exploit that

polamalubeast
11-20-2017, 03:24 PM
entirely possible that Gilbert was trying to use PED's to recover from his hamstring injury. Happens all the time. Hamstring/Groin injuries are especially lingering ailments.

Just our luck, we wont have him for the Pats game. Belichick will definitely exploit that

Fortunately the pass rush of the pats is their weakness ...

SteelerFanInStl
11-20-2017, 03:31 PM
WTF? Dumb ass!

Mojouw
11-20-2017, 03:34 PM
Well there is Sutton's spot on the 53 for 4 games.

Seriously though? Can' these guys afford someone smart enough to help them cheat on these things?

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Well there is Sutton's spot on the 53 for 4 games.

Seriously though? Can' these guys afford someone smart enough to help them cheat on these things?

Maybe the NFL has enough money to hire smarter guys to catch who the cheaters hire.

Its just dumb. If you know what it on the banned list, then don't take it.

86WARD
11-20-2017, 03:49 PM
I don’t get it...someone is stupid...got to really worry about an injury now. One more injury on the line and they could be in trouble.

4 tough games coming up too.

st33lersguy
11-20-2017, 03:51 PM
This sucks

DesertSteel
11-20-2017, 04:08 PM
No big deal.

Craic
11-20-2017, 04:15 PM
Maybe the NFL has enough money to hire smarter guys to catch who the cheaters hire.

Its just dumb. If you know what it on the banned list, then don't take it.

We don't agree often, but this is my thought exactly. However, I am waiting to hear what Gilbert says about it. Was it a true failed test, a missed test, a diluted sample? Was he prescribed something that popped in the exam? In the end, it's still his responsibility to stay clean, but I am interested in the circumstances.

teegre
11-20-2017, 04:27 PM
No big deal.

:huh: He’s arguably our best O-lineman...

AtlantaDan
11-20-2017, 04:42 PM
We don't agree often, but this is my thought exactly. However, I am waiting to hear what Gilbert says about it. Was it a true failed test, a missed test, a diluted sample? Was he prescribed something that popped in the exam? In the end, it's still his responsibility to stay clean, but I am interested in the circumstances.

As always it was "inadvertent." Moron.

For once I wish someone would say "I took a banned substance and thought I could get away with it since other players have taken it and not been caught. My bad."

DesertSteel
11-20-2017, 05:20 PM
He’s already missed games this year. They managed. They will again and have him back for the playoffs. No big deal.

- - - Updated - - -

“Inadvertent?” I’m not buying.

Craic
11-20-2017, 05:34 PM

For once I wish someone would say "I took a banned substance and thought I could get away with it since other players have taken it and not been caught. My bad."

Again, I wonder the circumstances. While I, too, doubt the "inadvertent" label, I also realize there are several ways it could have happened.

Mojouw
11-20-2017, 05:34 PM
This continually amazes me that I'm expected to believe that between the team docs and the players private docs - they can't figure out what is banned and not banned.

I mean I know the reality is that all these guys are taking a boatload of chemicals in a desperate attempt to keep their bodies from falling apart - but man oh man -- you'd think they would get better at chemistry!

Born2Steel
11-20-2017, 05:53 PM
4 games, at least not for the rest of the season. He'll be back for the playoffs.

DesertSteel
11-20-2017, 06:12 PM
I guess we now know why T Jake Rodgers was signed to the practice squad.

AtlantaDan
11-20-2017, 06:14 PM
4 games, at least not for the rest of the season. He'll be back for the playoffs.

The game Gilbert misses week 15 at Heinz is the equivalent of a playoff game for the Steelers. Lose that game to the Pats and the prospect of winning a playoff game at Foxboro in January is highly unlikely.

Born2Steel
11-20-2017, 06:15 PM
The game Gilbert misses week 15 at Heinz is a playoff game for the Steelers. Lose that game to the Pats and the prospect of winning a playoff game at Foxboro in January is highly unlikely.

Ok...but are we really saying the same thing? The game against the Pats will 'FEEL' like a playoff game, sure.

steelreserve
11-20-2017, 06:15 PM
This continually amazes me that I'm expected to believe that between the team docs and the players private docs - they can't figure out what is banned and not banned.

I mean I know the reality is that all these guys are taking a boatload of chemicals in a desperate attempt to keep their bodies from falling apart - but man oh man -- you'd think they would get better at chemistry!

It's a load of bullshit. I remember around the time of the Barry Bonds case, a sports medicine doctor (who treated a lot of college and professional athletes) saying that if you are an athlete at that level ... so many people are paying so much attention to what substances go into your body, that there is basically no way you are going to take a banned drug by accident. Maybe once in a great while there is an exceptional circumstance, like they change what's on the banned list and it's missed - I think this happened to a famous tennis player as well as some swimmers.

Also said that most people who use banned substances are VERY aware of testing policies and it's pretty simple to plan around that. The ones who get caught are the ones who are out of control because think they're invulnerable (no surprise, a fairly common mental side effect of steroids) so they push it too far and mess up.

It's too bad because Gilbert was a guy I really was rooting for over his career. Seemed like a very down-to-earth individual and worked hard to get better. It would be a shame if he turned out to be a punk.

Psycho Ward 86
11-20-2017, 06:26 PM
No big deal.

Chris Hubbard got bullied in Gilbert's absence, especially against the Bears and Jaguars. It matters

AtlantaDan
11-20-2017, 06:58 PM
Ok...but are we really saying the same thing? The game against the Pats will 'FEEL' like a playoff game, sure.

Not for me - if you lose a playoff game you are not going to the Super Bowl

If the Steelers lose to the Patriots they are going to be the #2 or #3 AFC seed in the AFC and it is highly probable they will need to beat the Pats in Foxboro in the playoffs - anything is possible but since the Steelers have never beaten Brady in Foxboro it is even more probable that the Steelers will lose in Foxboro

So I am pretty confident that if the Steelers lose to the Pats in week 15 they are not going to the Super Bowl - IMO that makes that game the equivalent of a playoff game for the Steelers

Born2Steel
11-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Not for me - if you lose a playoff game you are not going to the Super Bowl

If the Steelers lose to the Patriots they are going to be the #2 or #3 AFC seed in the AFC and it is highly probable they will need to beat the Pats in Foxboro in the playoffs - anything is possible but since the Steelers have never beaten Brady in Foxboro it is even more probable that the Steelers will lose in Foxboro

So I am pretty confident that if the Steelers lose to the Pats in week 15 they are not going to the Super Bowl - IMO that makes that game the equivalent of a playoff game for the Steelers

Wha????? All I said was Gilbert will be back for the playoffs.

AtlantaDan
11-20-2017, 07:12 PM
Wha????? All I said was Gilbert will be back for the playoffs.

Which I took to mean it could be worse because he will be back for the games that matter the most

What I am saying is that missing the Pats at Heinz is as important as missing a playoff game for the impact of that game on the Steelers going to the Super Bowl if they lose

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/smilies/drink.gif

BnG_Hevn
11-20-2017, 07:12 PM
NFL players are among the best athletes in the world.

If an NFL player needs to take physical enhancing drugs, is said NFL player among the best athletes in the world?

teegre
11-20-2017, 07:13 PM
He’s already missed games this year. They managed. They will again and have him back for the playoffs. No big deal.

To quote Chris Rock:
“You could drive a car with your feet, if you wanted to... that doesn’t make it a good idea.”

SteelerFanInStl
11-20-2017, 07:25 PM
Chris Hubbard got bullied in Gilbert's absence, especially against the Bears and Jaguars. It matters

I agree. Not a fan of Hubbard at all.

GBMelBlount
11-20-2017, 07:44 PM
Some teams have multiple players like Gilbert on IR for the season.

We are blessed to have a healthy team (so far) and Gilbert back and fresh before the playoffs.

DesertSteel
11-20-2017, 08:11 PM
To quote Chris Rock:
“You could drive a car with your feet, if you wanted to... that doesn’t make it a good idea.”
Well I'm pretty sure this wasn't an idea.... just plain stupidity on the part of Gilbert. Point is that we've been extremely fortunate with injuries and suspensions so far this year, even with this added. We have a chance to enter the playoffs full throttle. For this reason I'm optimistic.

Shoes
11-20-2017, 08:17 PM
:faint:

Iron Steeler
11-20-2017, 08:39 PM
he probably wantes to heal quicker. Sux we lose him for the pats. Although to credit new england they lost edelman Hightower for the season amd Hogan for a few games and they still dominate teams.

If we need to learn to game plan with rhe guys that we havr going on the field.

Lady Steel
11-20-2017, 10:47 PM
I hope James Harrison kicks his ass.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-20-2017, 11:31 PM

I agree. But nothing you can do, so next man up.

- - - Updated - - -

I completely agree. Not many athletes or people in our society will be accountable for their actions and own it. There is always an excuse. I doubt that the substance inadvertently was ingested or injected.

smokin3000gt
11-21-2017, 02:42 AM
what are the chances that he'll appeal and get his suspension dropped down to 2 or 3 games ?

43Hitman
11-21-2017, 05:29 AM
what are the chances that he'll appeal and get his suspension dropped down to 2 or 3 games ?
Zero. They have said that he will not seek to appeal the suspension.

Shoes
11-21-2017, 05:58 AM
I agree. But nothing you can do, so next man up.

- - - Updated - - -

I completely agree. Not many athletes or people in our society will be accountable for their actions and own it. There is always an excuse. I doubt that the substance inadvertently was ingested or injected.

Agreed, these guys have been in playing football long enough to know what you can and cannot do.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-21-2017, 09:23 AM
When these guys are suspended, is it without salary? Or do they still get paid to sit out for making poor judgements?

Moose
11-21-2017, 09:24 AM

Damn I agree 100% How in the hell can you, " inadvertently take a BANNED substance" ? Isn't there a LIST of crap you can take and what you can't ? There are team doctor's in the facilities, don't they know what to subscribe to player's or are these player's buying their shit off the street corner's ? Dumb ass !

SteelMember
11-21-2017, 09:30 AM
Obviously something to help speed his recovery. No surprise to me he was on the "random" test schedule after his return... Duh

- - - Updated - - -

When these guys are suspended, is it without salary? Or do they still get paid to sit out for making poor judgements?

Pretty sure they loose their paycheck for the weeks missed.

zulater
11-21-2017, 10:59 AM
I'm disappointed because we lose a really good player. But I don't take it personally. Nor do I judge him over it. Athletes do this. They're looking for a competitive edge. Who knows who does what? So much goes undetected I'll bet. Sometimes they get away with it. Sometimes they don't. First offense, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he comes back the same player.

On the good side. Hubbard has proved himself a capable replacement. And if Gilbert was cheating to overcome his injury he now has plenty of time to heal completely for the playoffs.

Rotorhead
11-21-2017, 11:11 AM
The bright side is he will be fully healed for the playoffs, the crappy part is the Pats game.

(Puts tinfoil hat on)

:peep:

Goodell is trying to get Kraft back as his buddy so Gilbert won't be there for the Pats game . . .

ALLD
11-21-2017, 03:14 PM
Could have been the deer antler spray or something else like it. You can buy it OTC and it works.

DesertSteel
11-21-2017, 07:39 PM
The bright side is he will be fully healed for the playoffs, the crappy part is the Pats game.

(Puts tinfoil hat on)

:peep:

Goodell is trying to get Kraft back as his buddy so Gilbert won't be there for the Pats game . . .
If we lose to the Pats it won't be because of Gilbert being out. It will be the usual suspects: no pressure and secondary blunders.

teegre
11-22-2017, 07:10 AM
I'm disappointed because we lose a really good player. But I don't take it personally. Nor do I judge him over it. Athletes do this. They're looking for a competitive edge. Who knows who does what? So much goes undetected I'll bet. Sometimes they get away with it. Sometimes they don't. First offense, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he comes back the same player.

On the good side. Hubbard has proved himself a capable replacement. And if Gilbert was cheating to overcome his injury he know has plenty of time to heal completely for the playoffs.

Spot on :nod:

The bolded part of your post is the silver lining. Hamstring injuries can linger and/or re-tear. Time is the best medicine. This “forces” him to rest that hammy, so that it is completely healed.

DesertSteel
11-22-2017, 10:00 AM
Spot on :nod:

The bolded part of your post is the silver lining. Hamstring injuries can linger and/or re-tear. Time is the best medicine. This “forces” him to rest that hammy, so that it is completely healed.
Now you're coming over to the half-full side :)

teegre
11-22-2017, 11:05 AM

Gilbert will lose about $940,000.

tube517
11-22-2017, 11:23 AM
Gilbert will lose about $940,000.

Nothing to a boss :chuckle:

tube517
11-22-2017, 01:24 PM