PDA

View Full Version : Cam Heyward could be Steelers first double-digit sack artist since 2010

polamalubeast
11-17-2017, 11:33 AM
It's not often we see players return from injury playing the best football of their career, but that's what is happening with Steelers defensive end, Cameron Heyward.

Heyward's been great throughout his entire career, but this year, coming off a season-ending injury in 2016, he's been out of this world. Believe it or not, Heyward is on pace to not only shatter his personal single-season sack record, but this pace puts him on track to be the first Steelers pass-rusher with double-digit sacks since 2010.

Let's take a brief look at how close the Steelers have come to this milestone since that year.

read more

http://www.steelcityunderground.com/2017/11/17/cam-heyward-steelers-first-double-digit-sack-artist-since-2010/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

BlackAndGold
11-17-2017, 03:39 PM
He's a All Pro player.

It would be laughable if he doesn't make the pro bowl.

st33lersguy
11-17-2017, 03:48 PM
He has been dominant all year

polamalubeast
11-17-2017, 04:00 PM

FrancoLambert
11-17-2017, 04:12 PM
Heyward and Tuitt are playing like beasts.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2017, 10:34 PM
He has been dominant all year

Yes, but not that many watch the D line play and I hope he gets his due.

Similarly, Marcus Gilbert is having a great year as well(in spite of the hamstring injury) and he is Pro Bowl worthy IMO. The injury might keep him from 1st team all pro, but again I don't think many fans give him the credit for the season he is having....again.

86WARD
11-17-2017, 10:54 PM
Heyward has been Just Plain Nasty. Any update on what happened to him last night?

Butch
11-17-2017, 11:41 PM
Heyward and Tuitt are playing like beasts.
IMHO these 2 together are the equivalent of having Quiver and Quake.

Hawkman
11-18-2017, 12:07 AM
Heyward has been Just Plain Nasty. Any update on what happened to him last night?

Must not have been terrible or we would have heard.

Hawkman
11-18-2017, 12:38 AM
No worries, he was back on the field for the last two series.....and that silly defensive celebration

tube517
11-18-2017, 02:02 AM

"Bumps and bruises associated with football."
-Cool Shades Press Conference

teegre
11-18-2017, 07:47 AM
I held my breath when Heyward was laying on the ground. I didn’t pay attention to the game again, until I saw him back on the field. Whew!!!

tube517
11-18-2017, 07:52 AM
I held my breath when Heyward was laying on the ground. I didn’t pay attention to the game again, until I saw him back on the field. Whew!!!

He was in the goofy celebration after the last pick.

86WARD
11-18-2017, 07:52 AM
No worries, he was back on the field for the last two series.....and that silly defensive celebration

Thanks. I couldn’t remember.

86WARD
11-18-2017, 07:53 AM
"Bumps and bruises associated with football."
-Cool Shades Press Conference

Lol. He just has a way with words.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-18-2017, 09:14 AM
IMHO these 2 together are the equivalent of having Quiver and Quake.

remember when we thought that Aaron Smith was the best 5 technique in the NFL but nobody gave him credit because they all run 4-3 defenses? I would make a case that both Heyward and Tuitt are better than Smith was. :jawdrop:

DesertSteel
11-18-2017, 11:05 AM
remember when we thought that Aaron Smith was the best 5 technique in the NFL but nobody gave him credit because they all run 4-3 defenses? I would make a case that both Heyward and Tuitt are better than Smith was. :jawdrop:
I agree on Cam. Tuitt is one year away IMO.

pczach
11-18-2017, 11:44 AM

Aaron Smith was a force of nature against the run. He was just so damn strong, had great technique, and was a tremendous player with a great motor.

Heyward and Tuitt are strong against the run, but they are both more athletic and better pass rushers.

It would have been interesting to see Smith play in this version of Steelers defense. He would also have more opportunities to rush the passer and been allowed to get more penetration in the current scheme.

All I know is that we are all very lucky to have had all of them. Heyward and Tuitt still have more work to do for their careers. Cam is now at his peak. Tuitt is going to still get better.

Good times! :drink:

st33lersguy
11-18-2017, 01:31 PM
Don't look now but Vince Williams has 6 sacks

pczach
11-18-2017, 01:52 PM
Don't look now but Vince Williams has 6 sacks

The difference is that Williams is getting his sacks as a result of the scheme. He's usually coming unblocked or a blown assignment on the LB cross by an offensive lineman to get to the Qb. It's not like he's running over guards and tackles in 1-on-1 battles to get to the QB.

Good for him. He's making the most of his opportunities and getting quarterbacks flushed out of the pocket by a better pass rush, and a secondary that has been holding coverage much better to make quarterbacks hold the ball.

It's just a little different for a DL or Edge player with a 320 lb man in their face.

teegre
11-18-2017, 02:12 PM
The difference is that Williams is getting his sacks as a result of the scheme. He's usually coming unblocked or a blown assignment on the LB cross by an offensive lineman to get to the Qb. It's not like he's running over guards and tackles in 1-on-1 battles to get to the QB.

Good for him. He's making the most of his opportunities and getting quarterbacks flushed out of the pocket by a better pass rush, and a secondary that has been holding coverage much better to make quarterbacks hold the ball.

It's just a little different for a DL or Edge player with a 320 lb man in their face.

Think about this, though...

Most pass-rushers get 45-50 opportunities per game to go up against those 320 lbs. behemoths; whereas, an ILB only gets 5-6 opportunities per game to rush the passer.

In other words, Vincenzo has had about 45-50 opportunities (about one game’s worth), and he’s gotten 6 sacks. That is pretty impressive.

DesertSteel
11-18-2017, 02:19 PM

Most pass-rushers get 45-50 opportunities per game to go up against those 320 lbs. behemoths; whereas, an ILB only gets 5-6 opportunities per game to rush the passer.

In other words, Vincenzo has had about 45-50 opportunities (about one game’s worth), and he’s gotten 6 sacks. That is pretty impressive.

I agree. As fans we laud some and downgrade others using the exact same metrics. VW deserves his due.

pczach
11-18-2017, 03:34 PM

I hear what you're saying.

I'm not bashing Williams. I'm simply explaining the differences in the way he gets them when someone introduced Williams into this thread about Heyward.

Heyward is having to defeat offensive linemen, track the quarterback, and then be able to bring him down. Williams is operating in space, but when he is engaged by an offensive lineman, he isn't able to defeat the block and get to the quarterback.

It's just completely different.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. As fans we laud some and downgrade others using the exact same metrics. VW deserves his due.

They're not the same metrics. He's an ILB blitzing compared to guys that line up across from blockers. Scheme has gotten him most of his sacks.

Coaches deserve their due as well.

DesertSteel
11-18-2017, 04:10 PM
They're not the same metrics. He's an ILB blitzing compared to guys that line up across from blockers. Scheme has gotten him most of his sacks.

Coaches deserve their due as well.
To be clear I wasn't referring to ILBs and DEs, but specifically VW to Timmons and other ILBs. If sacks were so easy then why didn't LT put up numbers?

Psycho Ward 86
11-18-2017, 04:42 PM
To be clear I wasn't referring to ILBs and DEs, but specifically VW to Timmons and other ILBs. If sacks were so easy then why didn't LT put up numbers?

LT did put up similiar numbers. But yeah i agree to some extent, i mean wow. Never heard Lawdog get this kind of double standard on his ability to blitz. And yes, he certainly did pick up some beautified matchups with running backs. If anyone seriously thinks VDub isnt getting a ton of his pressures with savvy, they arent watching him play

SteelerFanInStl
11-18-2017, 05:27 PM
LT did put up similiar numbers. But yeah i agree to some extent, i mean wow. Never heard Lawdog get this kind of double standard on his ability to blitz. And yes, he certainly did pick up some beautified matchups with running backs. If anyone seriously thinks VDub isnt getting a ton of his pressures with savvy, they arent watching him play

The most sacks that Timmons ever had in a season was 7. He had 6 one other season and 5 twice. For VW to have 6 already in his first season as a starter is pretty damn good.

teegre
11-18-2017, 06:39 PM
To clarify...

Vincenzo was brought into the discussion, because he, too, could have double-digit sacks.

Psycho Ward 86
11-18-2017, 08:41 PM
The most sacks that Timmons ever had in a season was 7. He had 6 one other season and 5 twice. For VW to have 6 already in his first season as a starter is pretty damn good.

oh no doubt. it makes me wonder when the last time an ILB had double digit sacks is

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
11-18-2017, 08:53 PM
To clarify...

Vincenzo was brought into the discussion, because he, too, could have double-digit sacks. Vince has been very underrated for a few years now.

43Hitman
11-19-2017, 03:59 AM
I was saying at the beginning of the season that I thought a lot of people would be pleasantly surprised at how well VW would play in LT's spot. Sure it was a bit rocky at first, but he has settled in nicely. Looks like the Front Office made the right move again.

teegre
11-19-2017, 07:17 AM
oh no doubt. it makes me wonder when the last time an ILB had double digit sacks is

Right now, Vincenzo is tied for 18th place on the “league leaders” sack list. He’s the only ILB in the top 50.

Now, I’m going to Google the sack leaders from years past... (to answer your question).

2016: Benardrick McKinley led ILBs w/ 5 sacks.
2015: Clay Matthews led ILBs w/ 6.5 sacks.
2014: David Harris led ILBs w/ 5.5 sacks.
2013: Karlos Dansby led ILBs w/ 6.5 sacks.

I’m going to stop there (for now).

Born2Steel
11-19-2017, 07:23 AM
VW has played better than I expected, I will admit that much. So much better that we haven't had a Matakevich discussion on here since around week 3/4. I credit a lot of that to our DL being a group of blocker eating monsters as well. This entire defense has impressed me this season. Still some room for improvement, but this unit has been fun to watch.

Cam has been on a different level since returning. I don't know if he spent much of his time in the film room while rehabbing, but it sure looks like it. He's in the backfield more consistently, and has been a bringer of chaos on nearly every snap. And I'm loving it.

pczach
11-19-2017, 09:09 AM

Off the top of my head I would say Chad Brown. He was a weapon that got to the quarterback a lot while he was a Steeler. I haven't looked it up.

pczach
11-19-2017, 09:19 AM
Off the top of my head I would say Chad Brown. He was a weapon that got to the quarterback a lot while he was a Steeler. I haven't looked it up.

I looked up Chad Brown's career stats. He had 13 in 1996. I don't know if any others did it, I just looked up Brown's numbers.

http://www.nfl.com/player/chadbrown/2499824/careerstats

teegre
11-19-2017, 11:20 AM
I looked up Chad Brown's career stats. He had 13 in 1996. I don't know if any others did it, I just looked up Brown's numbers.

http://www.nfl.com/player/chadbrown/2499824/careerstats

He played OLB that season.

Greg Lloyd went down (knee), and Brown moved over... and had an All Pro year.

tube517
11-19-2017, 11:24 AM

8.5 from the ILB position in 1994. Those 4 LBs from 93-95 were scary

teegre
11-19-2017, 11:26 AM
8.5 from the ILB position in 1994. Those 4 LBs from 93-95 were scary

It was one of my favorite eras of Steelers football.

pczach
11-19-2017, 12:14 PM

You're right. I forgot about that.

He was a terrific pass rusher from the inside his entire career, even in Seattle.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an interesting article on Vince Williams and his path with the Steelers. It's a couple weeks old.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2017/11/9/16616648/vince-williams-has-been-a-strength-at-inside-linebacker-for-the-steelers-in-2017-lawrence-timmons

Psycho Ward 86
11-19-2017, 12:41 PM
VW has played better than I expected, I will admit that much. So much better that we haven't had a Matakevich discussion on here since around week 3/4. I credit a lot of that to our DL being a group of blocker eating monsters as well. This entire defense has impressed me this season. Still some room for improvement, but this unit has been fun to watch.

Cam has been on a different level since returning. I don't know if he spent much of his time in the film room while rehabbing, but it sure looks like it. He's in the backfield more consistently, and has been a bringer of chaos on nearly every snap. And I'm loving it.

Oh man, those were some good times :lol:. Nothing screams better than VW like making 10 tackles after 8 yard gains in that blowout loss to the Dolphins a season ago

Mojouw
11-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Oh man, those were some good times :lol:. Nothing screams better than VW like making 10 tackles after 8 yard gains in that blowout loss to the Dolphins a season ago

I'm just going to pull this down. It was unnecessarily divisive and contributed nothing to the overall discussion.

It was an attempt at humor that was in poor taste and went down a road that is never constructive.

Apologize to everyone.

tube517
11-19-2017, 02:24 PM
There is nothing that almost all NFL fans, and Steelers fans in particular, love more than undersized, scrappy, and "heady" white middle linebackers. People lose their minds.

http://www.sportsworldcards.com/ekmps/shops/sportsworld/images/pittsburgh-steelers-bryan-hinkle-43-skybox-impact-1992-nfl-american-football-trading-card-71180-p.jpg

http://www.mainlineautographs.com/images/product_pics/Scan201611172_20161118269.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/(KGrHqJ,!i4E7E2,fQCHBPC1Q)O!zQ~~/s-l300.jpg :chuckle: :tt02:

Steeldude
11-19-2017, 03:29 PM
There is nothing that almost all NFL fans, and Steelers fans in particular, love more than undersized, scrappy, and "heady" white middle linebackers. People lose their minds.

I agree minus the White part.

Mojouw
11-19-2017, 08:39 PM
I agree minus the White part.

Yeah. That was shitty comment on my part and was totally inappropriate. I'm going to pull it down.

teegre
11-19-2017, 09:28 PM
Here's an interesting article on Vince Williams and his path with the Steelers. It's a couple weeks old.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2017/11/9/16616648/vince-williams-has-been-a-strength-at-inside-linebacker-for-the-steelers-in-2017-lawrence-timmons

Good read. :nod:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-19-2017, 11:46 PM
Yeah. That was shitty comment on my part and was totally inappropriate. I'm going to pull it down.
No worries here, I get that its a comment that I never thought twice about. I think we have those guys like Brian Hinkle, Jerry Olsavsky, Patrick Bailey, Matakevich in mind more when we think of those type players. We could put guys like Larry Foote, Sean Spence in those categories as undersized and heady, but they were higher round draft picks and not likely seen as underdogs. Some sensitive times we live in and I appreciate you acknowledging your mistake.

As for this seeming notion that VW is a sack artist, meh. I haven't seen him beat anybody with any pass rush moves to get them, but rather some opportunistic blitzes. The fact is he is getting guys on the ground when he gets the chance on the blitz. I'm happy he has picked up his production in the run game, as there seemed to be a couple games that he was missing in action in the run defense earlier in the season.

AtlantaDan
11-20-2017, 08:15 AM
Peter King in his MMQB column this morning

Cam Heyward is the most underrated great player in football. Hard for any Steeler to be underrated, but he’s the best all-around defensive lineman they’ve had since Aaron Smith—and Smith was underrated too.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/20/los-angeles-chargers-afc-west-nfl-week-11-peter-king-mmqb

I sent an email to MMQB asking if it is hard for a Steeler to be underrated because they have a nationwide following or some other reason as well as whether there are other teams where it is hard for the players to be overrated or underrated because of the team on which they play. Will post any response that may be posted on MMQB.

SteelMember
11-20-2017, 01:01 PM
If Cam Heyward has a wallet, I bet it's the one from from Pulp Fiction that says "Bad MotherF#*@er"

:chuckle: