PDA

View Full Version : Haley Yells at People

Mojouw
11-14-2017, 03:12 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/11/haley-says-sunday-sideline-tirade-directed-another-coach-not-roethlisberger/

Now the story is that Haley was (or maybe still is?) yelling at another coach.

I honestly need some help understanding a few things with this story. Here is what I think I know:

1. Players coaches are not ideal because they spend too much time coddling the players. Makes everyone as soft as McDonald's ice cream.
2. Yelling is good for a football team. Halftime speeches, locker room speeches, sideline tirades, etc. Fires folks up. Let's them know they are men and like raw meat, the smell of gunpowder, and violence in general. Hell yeah!
3. Haley is an arrogant jerk who does not play well with others. I kinda think most have this sense about him along those lines.

Okay -- here is the part I don't understand. Why is Haley cursing out a coach, a QB, all of the coaches, the entire roster, the hotdog vendors, and a few lucky fans from section 219 a bad thing?

Team was playing like crap all day and couldn't seem to collectively organize their way out of a room with one door. So why not start yelling at people?

I know that every situation is different, but Tomlin is not good because he doesn't yell and Haley is not good because he does yell?

Again, I want to be clear -- this is not directed at anyone specifically. It is just kind of a broad brush type discussion after floating about the internets and Steelers related commentary today and Monday.

SteeleReign
11-14-2017, 03:19 PM
It appeared to me at the time, that Haley was barking at Tomlin. While I prefer tough coaches that yell, I'm not sure that telling your boss to "shut the truck up" is a good idea.

Then again, if it puts Haley on the hot seat, maybe it helps?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

43Hitman
11-14-2017, 03:21 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/11/haley-says-sunday-sideline-tirade-directed-another-coach-not-roethlisberger/

Now the story is that Haley was (or maybe still is?) yelling at another coach.

I honestly need some help understanding a few things with this story. Here is what I think I know:

1. Players coaches are not ideal because they spend too much time coddling the players. Makes everyone as soft as McDonald's ice cream.
2. Yelling is good for a football team. Halftime speeches, locker room speeches, sideline tirades, etc. Fires folks up. Let's them know they are men and like raw meat, the smell of gunpowder, and violence in general. Hell yeah!
3. Haley is an arrogant jerk who does not play well with others. I kinda think most have this sense about him along those lines.

Okay -- here is the part I don't understand. Why is Haley cursing out a coach, a QB, all of the coaches, the entire roster, the hotdog vendors, and a few lucky fans from section 219 a bad thing?

Team was playing like crap all day and couldn't seem to collectively organize their way out of a room with one door. So why not start yelling at people?

I know that every situation is different, but Tomlin is not good because he doesn't yell and Haley is not good because he does yell?

Again, I want to be clear -- this is not directed at anyone specifically. It is just kind of a broad brush type discussion after floating about the internets and Steelers related commentary today and Monday.

Because most fans, not just Steeler fans talk out of both sides of their mouths in my opinion. I think that the typical fan really doesn't know whats wrong with their team or how to fix it, so instead they say things like the team lacks discipline or the coaches should be playing player "x" and it will fix the problem. Usually they want the coaches to do the opposite of what they are currently doing, if the coach likes to yell, then he yells too much and can't relate to the players and if he isn't a coach who yells then he is a players coach and relates to well with the players and should be more of a hard ass.

Mojouw
11-14-2017, 03:25 PM
Good responses. I kind of see the truth in both.

Personally, I don't care if there is the occasional outburst between coaches and players or even coaches and coaches. As long as it stays in the moment and isn't a signal of massive dissent and lack of communication - I think it can be a good thing.

SteeleReign
11-14-2017, 03:27 PM
Who knows? If Haley screaming at Mike is a glimpse of a deeper issue, then yes, we have a problem.

More than likely it was just a moment of heightened emotional stress. Nothing to worry about and move on.

43Hitman
11-14-2017, 03:28 PM
Who knows? If Haley screaming at Mike is a glimpse of a deeper issue, then yes, we have a problem.

More than likely it was just a moment of heightened emotional stress. Nothing to worry about and move on.

I completely agree with this. It makes the most sense without delving in to some weird conspiracies.

SteeleReign
11-14-2017, 03:29 PM
I completely agree with this. It makes the most sense without delving in to some weird conspiracies.And I'm sure Tomlin is mature enough to see it for what it was, or wasn't.

Mojouw
11-14-2017, 03:31 PM

Yeah - that's what I was getting at. In a weird way, I would rather have a head coach who is "okay" with an outburst here or there. Speaks to confidence.

teegre
11-14-2017, 03:32 PM
I kind of equate it to parenting.

Yelling all of the time does NOT work. But, every once in a while, I have used my “daddy voice” to get something done.

YOU WILL GET YOUR PAJAMAS ON BY THE COUNT OF FIVE... 4... 3...

That said, what I did not use was demeaning and/or abusive language:

SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!

(Make sense?)

SteeleReign
11-14-2017, 03:36 PM

Yelling all of the time does NOT work. But, every once in a while, I have used my “daddy voice” to get something done.

SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!

(Make sense?)Perfect sense!

43Hitman
11-14-2017, 03:41 PM

SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!

(Make sense?)
Absolutely does.

Mojouw
11-14-2017, 03:42 PM

SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!

(Make sense?)

Definitely. Although in the context of a "pro football team" I have no problem with the language. But, I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuggggggeeee fan of swearing. So my opinion is really biased!

teegre
11-14-2017, 03:43 PM
It appeared to me at the time, that Haley was barking at Tomlin. While I prefer tough coaches that yell, I'm not sure that telling your boss to "shut the truck up" is a good idea.

Then again, if it puts Haley on the hot seat, maybe it helps?

Interesting.

I highly doubt he’d yell at the head coach, but then again, I never thought a person would steal the bathroom fixtures from a house. :lol:

steelreserve
11-14-2017, 03:48 PM

SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!

(Make sense?)

I don't know man. I tell my kids to shut the fuck up, they have their pajamas on in a split-second.

I tell them to put their pajamas on, and they clean the cat box.

You have to know which buttons to push.

smokin3000gt
11-14-2017, 03:58 PM
Interesting.

I highly doubt he’d yell at the head coach, but then again, I never thought a person would steal the bathroom fixtures from a house. :lol:

we bought a home that was in short sale, offered full price and closed quickly. Before the closing they took the good appliances and replaced them with crappy craigslist appliances but the real kicker... they took the mailbox (plain black $15 at lowes mailbox) and left me with the post. I will never understand some people...

edit: plain*

SteeleReign
11-14-2017, 03:59 PM
we bought a home that was in short sale, offered full price and closed quickly. Before the closing they took the good appliances and replaced them with crappy craigslist appliances but the real kicker... they took the mailbox (plane black $15 at lowes mailbox) and left me with the post. I will never understand some people...Lol... Pathetic

SteeleReign
11-14-2017, 03:59 PM
Interesting.

I highly doubt he’d yell at the head coach, but then again, I never thought a person would steal the bathroom fixtures from a house. [emoji38]Obviously just speculation. It appeared to all of us at the time he was saying "Mike" but we'll likely never know.

Born2Steel
11-14-2017, 04:07 PM
If the entire phrase Haley was yelling ended with, "call the play". I don't think he was talking to Tomlin. Or is there a different, current yell we're discussing?

("Shut up, Shut the f*ck up, 'name'. Call the play.") I thought he was saying Ben, or maybe man.

43Hitman
11-14-2017, 04:08 PM
we bought a home that was in short sale, offered full price and closed quickly. Before the closing they took the good appliances and replaced them with crappy craigslist appliances but the real kicker... they took the mailbox (plane black $15 at lowes mailbox) and left me with the post. I will never understand some people...
Yeah, that makes no sense. You gave them full price when you really had them over the coals. Some people...

teegre
11-14-2017, 04:10 PM
Definitely. Although in the context of a "pro football team" I have no problem with the language. But, I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuggggggeeee fan of swearing. So my opinion is really biased!

I agree that the NFL coaches swear like sailors. Language is just words... emphatic words.

But, one can be derisive without using foul language... heck, one can do it without yelling.

SteeleReign
11-14-2017, 04:10 PM
If the entire phrase Haley was yelling ended with, "call the play". I don't think he was talking to Tomlin. Or is there a different, current yell we're discussing?

("Shut up, Shut the f*ck up, 'name'. Call the play.") I thought he was saying Ben, or maybe man.I thought he ended by saying "Mike." I have no idea, I can't even understand half the things my wife says right to my face.

Of course, that's probably because I was ignoring her, but whatever....

teegre
11-14-2017, 04:13 PM
I don't know man. I tell my kids to shut the fuck up, they have their pajamas on in a split-second.

I tell them to put their pajamas on, and they clean the cat box.

You have to know which buttons to push.

:lol: Dude, you can babysit my kids any time.

43Hitman
11-14-2017, 04:13 PM
I thought he ended by saying "Mike." I have no idea, I can't even understand half the things my wife says right to my face.

Of course, that's probably because I was ignoring her, but whatever....

Lol, selective hearing...:lol:

tube517
11-14-2017, 04:19 PM

That damn Danny Smith smacking his gum too loud :chuckle:

teegre
11-14-2017, 04:20 PM

("Shut up, Shut the f*ck up, 'name'. Call the play.") I thought he was saying Ben, or maybe man.

That is/was absolutely what the Twitterverse was saying was the full phrase. And, the last part definitely points to BB being the target of that ire.

Born2Steel
11-14-2017, 04:25 PM
That is/was absolutely what the Twitterverse was saying was the full phrase. And, the last part definitely points to BB being the target of that ire.

He definitely wouldn't be yelling for Tomlin to 'call the play'. Either that's not what he said, or he was yelling at someone else.

teegre
11-14-2017, 04:28 PM
He definitely wouldn't be yelling for Tomlin to 'call the play'. Either that's not what he said, or he was yelling at someone else.

Additionally, there was the talk about how the formation was one that Haley had never had them practice... which would explain why they lined up twice (and still couldn’t get the correct formation).

BB walks to the sideline, questioning the play call.

Haley gets angry.

It simply makes sense that BB is the target...

Born2Steel
11-14-2017, 04:35 PM
Additionally, there was the talk about how the formation was one that Haley had never had them practice... which would explain why they lined up twice (and still couldn’t get the correct formation).

BB walks to the sideline, questioning the play call.

Haley gets angry.

It simply makes sense that BB is the target...

Which makes it funny to me. - Ben questions the play because it's new and the offense has never run it as a unit. So the OC yells, just shut up and run the play? Umm, ok coach.....TADA!

teegre
11-14-2017, 04:39 PM
Which makes it funny to me. - Ben questions the play because it's new and the offense has never run it as a unit. So the OC yells, just shut up and run the play? Umm, ok coach.....TADA!

That is the entire first chapter in Haley’s new book:
I Have No Idea What I’m Doing

Born2Steel
11-14-2017, 04:42 PM

Is that being published as a 'Golden Book'?

teegre
11-14-2017, 04:43 PM
Is that being published as a 'Golden Book'?

It’s a pop-up book.

The page with Anquan Boldin is really intriguing.

tube517
11-14-2017, 05:00 PM

Preface by Danny Smith

DesertSteel
11-14-2017, 05:07 PM
It's called CREATIVE TENSION :)

ALLD
11-14-2017, 05:19 PM
One time early in Joe Greene's career he ripped the door off the clubhouse because the Steelers were so bad. Coach Noll didn't get upset, he just said it was a $500 fine. Haley is unhinged and should be sent upstairs. What he is doing isn't working.

silver & black
11-14-2017, 05:20 PM
You guys should quit complaining about your OC. You could have Todd Downing. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-14-2017, 05:47 PM
OMG, are fans really this surprised that a football coach yelled at somebody on the sidelines in a 3 point football game??

Its about as shocking as a politician not following thru with a campaign promise. :doh:

86WARD
11-14-2017, 06:15 PM
I️ could only hope that the other coach he was yelling at was Smith...

Shoes
11-14-2017, 07:47 PM
OMG, are fans really this surprised that a football coach yelled at somebody on the sidelines in a 3 point football game??

Its about as shocking as a politician not following thru with a campaign promise. :doh:

:lol:

pczach
11-14-2017, 07:49 PM

Fuckin' A!!!!

fansince'76
11-14-2017, 08:08 PM

SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!

(Make sense?)

Did Haley attend Catholic school as a kid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohXOOzZCDWw

:chuckle:

vader29
11-14-2017, 09:46 PM

That damn Danny Smith smacking his gum too loud :chuckle:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/2531efb543020248de7596ca19219e49/tenor.gif

hawaiiansteeler
11-14-2017, 10:47 PM
Tomlin Yells at People also

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/DTUyWxmCZIambEvXpD1pmZbRoDU=/0x0:4647x3098/920x613/filters:focal(2138x1050:2880x1792)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/57591373/873292092.jpg.0.jpg

Steelerette
11-14-2017, 11:34 PM
Haley putting Danny Smith on the hot seat...

Hawkman
11-15-2017, 08:10 AM
Cowher could do some yelling, only you needed a salad bar spit screen, when you were getting yelled at. Never forget when I was at a Ravens game in Baltimore, and Cowher started screaming at Josh Miller after his second 25 yard shanked punt. You could see exactly what he said on the Jumbotron.....WHAT THE F$@K WAS THAT? Half the crowd laughed. Cowher had some sad STs.

hawaiiansteeler
11-15-2017, 11:02 AM
The playcallers for all 32 teams and where their offenses rank

10. Pittsburgh Steelers

Offensive coordinator Todd Haley

Haley is in his sixth season with the Steelers, who have been among the NFL's most explosive offenses during his tenure. He comes from the Bill Parcells' coaching tree and has head-coaching experience with the Chiefs from 2009 to 2011. Haley has helped Ben Roethlisberger become a quick-strike passer from the pocket, though the Steelers have struggled to execute in the red zone this season, ranking 19th in scoring offense at 20.8 points per game. -- Jeremy Fowler

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x17115/nfl-2017-playcallers-all-32-nfl-teams-how-their-offense-ranks

tube517
11-15-2017, 11:09 AM
Cowher could do some yelling, only you needed a salad bar spit screen, when you were getting yelled at. Never forget when I was at a Ravens game in Baltimore, and Cowher started screaming at Josh Miller after his second 25 yard shanked punt. You could see exactly what he said on the Jumbotron.....WHAT THE F$@K WAS THAT? Half the crowd laughed. Cowher had some sad STs.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d4/6f/99/d46f9936c6257c553a450007587d67f2--bill-cowher-nfl-jerseys.jpg

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2017, 01:11 PM

10. Pittsburgh Steelers

Haley is in his sixth season with the Steelers, who have been among the NFL's most explosive offenses during his tenure. He comes from the Bill Parcells' coaching tree and has head-coaching experience with the Chiefs from 2009 to 2011. Haley has helped Ben Roethlisberger become a quick-strike passer from the pocket, though the Steelers have struggled to execute in the red zone this season, ranking 19th in scoring offense at 20.8 points per game. -- Jeremy Fowler

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x17115/nfl-2017-playcallers-all-32-nfl-teams-how-their-offense-ranks

That's some good stuff there....wont get many on this forum that agree with a #10 ranking. :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
11-15-2017, 01:28 PM
That's some good stuff there....wont get many on this forum that agree with a #10 ranking. :chuckle:

Crash calls bs, he says he has proof that Haley is #33...

Hawkman
11-15-2017, 01:52 PM

10. Pittsburgh Steelers

Didn't realize there were as many head coaches calling the O as there are.

GBMelBlount
11-15-2017, 07:31 PM
Personally, I don't care if there is the occasional outburst between coaches and players or even coaches and coaches.

As long as it stays in the moment and isn't a signal of massive dissent and lack of communication - I think it can be a good thing.

This.

Psycho Ward 86
11-15-2017, 07:42 PM
Haley is in over his head if he thinks anyone will believe he would be yelling at a coach in that specific situation. Haley is the last person in this entire organization that should feel like he has a valid reason to yell at anybody. Your QB is having a down year or his body is in shambles or maybe/probably even both.

Make the damn adjustments to accommodate. Good lord

SteelMayhem72
11-15-2017, 07:51 PM
Haley is in order his head if he thinks anyone will believe he would be yelling at a coach in that specific situation. Haley is the last person in this entire organization that should feel like he has a valid reason to yell at anybody. Your QB is having a down year or his body is in shambles or maybe/probably even both.

Make the damn adjustments to accommodate. Good lordThis^^^

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2017, 11:34 PM
Crash calls bs, he says he has proof that Haley is #33...

#33?? No way Crash ranks him that high. There are at least 20 teams in the CFL and Arena League 2 that have better OC's by Crash Geno standards.

DesertSteel
11-16-2017, 09:53 AM
#33?? No way Crash ranks him that high. There are at least 20 teams in the CFL and Arena League 2 that have better OC's by Crash Geno standards.
At least Haley doesn't punt on 3rd down like some of his CFL counterparts!

ALLD
11-16-2017, 03:42 PM
Haley putting Danny Smith on the hot seat...

At this point Danny Smith could be replaced with a computer.

86WARD
11-16-2017, 05:19 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d4/6f/99/d46f9936c6257c553a450007587d67f2--bill-cowher-nfl-jerseys.jpg

Oh...so not only has Tomlin done nothing since winning a Super Bowl with Cowher’s Players, but he’s been walking the sidelines in Cowhers Shades this whole time? Cool Shades No More!!! He’s Cowher’s Shades now...

hawaiiansteeler
11-16-2017, 06:44 PM

https://i.imgflip.com/3nyfx.jpg

Lady Steel
11-16-2017, 07:11 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/3nyfx.jpg

This thread's title cracks me up every time I see it. :lol:

86WARD
11-16-2017, 10:45 PM
He wasn’t yelling tonight...he must be plotting something foul...

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2017, 12:12 AM

This thread's title cracks me up every time I see it. :lol:

It makes me think of this.
https://pics.me.me/i-dont-know-what-were-yelling-about-14030722.png

SteelMember
11-20-2017, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure what he was yelling about, but he better stop, or someones feelings might get hurt. :chuckle: