PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Say They Want to Get Javon Hargrave More Playing Time

Psycho Ward 86
11-06-2017, 06:30 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/11/steelers-say-they-want-get-javon-hargave-more-playing-time/

Some notables: Here are the snap counts for our starting DL so far this season

Hargrave: 47% (Upped by Tuitt missing some games)
Heyward: 85%
Tuitt: 86.7% (in games he has started and finished)

Arent these rates on Cameron/Stephon similiar to last season when Heyward got overworked really hard and ultimately tore his pectoral? Cam is imo the best player on our defense but with a player like Hargrave in reserve its frustrating to see our Defensive Ends gassed up with so many snaps, again. We have the depth to create chaos on defense without drop off and we arent even using it. Hargrave might not have length but he proved AS A ROOKIE that he can shift over as a 5 tech for significant amounts of time and play great football. Not to mention Hargrave was born to play in the nickel yet Alualu gets a lot of snaps over him (no offense to him, he's been great in spot service but id rather have our absolute best on the field)

Also John Mitchell's most interesting quote in the article: “I’d like to get him on the field more,” Mitchell said in an interview via Steelers.com. “But now I have a decision. I have to take either Cam or 91 off the field.”

What? We live in our nickel defense anyways so why would a great coach like Mitchell feel like he has to take off Cameron or Stephon to get Hargrave on the field? I cant be the only one scratching my head

polamalubeast
11-06-2017, 06:33 PM
If there is one thing I hate about Tomlin is that no matter the position(RB,OLB,DL,etc), Tomlin don't know how to make a rotation!!!

ALLD
11-06-2017, 07:21 PM
You just can't rotate bodies like an MLB DH or relief pitcher with 2 outs in the 9th. They needs to get their rhythm going, but yes they need to find a line rotation like in the NHL.

Hawkman
11-06-2017, 08:27 PM
Ask Joe Greene, or Jack Lambert, Greg Lloyd if they had or wanted a rotation. Not sure I get a rotation thing unless it's part of your scheme, i.e. Nickel, dime....Are there really that many teams in the nfl that rotate people. If you show me, I will be convinced. If anything, I think we rotate people in and out quite a bit.

steelreserve
11-06-2017, 08:38 PM
Unless you're only planning on rushing two guys, you use a 3-3-5 nickel instead of a 2-4-5. Presto, loads more playing time, and all you have to give up is your ability to rush a linebacker like a lineman. This is not rocket science.

Psycho Ward 86
11-06-2017, 09:16 PM
Unless you're only planning on rushing two guys, you use a 3-3-5 nickel instead of a 2-4-5. Presto, loads more playing time, and all you have to give up is your ability to rush a linebacker like a lineman. This is not rocket science.

exactly. why is Mitchell acting like this isnt an option

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-06-2017, 10:53 PM
The point where Mitchell said that is in this video. (43Hitman posted it earlier). Folks should watch it and decide if Mitchell seems like its a serious consideration, or just giving the media some sound bites.

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/Defensive-coaches-on-the-first-eight-games/51386fbb-dabe-4233-a37a-9fdd4de02ee9