PDA

View Full Version : Pat Burns DIES

polamalubeast
09-17-2010, 11:27 AM
The Toronto Star is reporting that former NHL coach Pat Burns has died after a long battle with cancer.

Pat Burns coaching record

"He fought a valiant fight," said Toronto Maple Leafs advisor Cliff Fletcher.

Burns was a three-time NHL coach of the year and guided teams in Montreal, Toronto, Boston and New Jersey.

"Pat combined both toughness and compassion," said Fletcher. "He was the softest person you'd ever meet.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/09/pat-burns-dies/1

It's really very sad for me

SteelCityMan786
09-17-2010, 11:54 AM
RIP Pat Burns.

X-Terminator
09-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Actually, he hasn't:

Pat Burns is still alive, despite media reports

It is a strange circumstance indeed where family members and sports authorities feel it necessary to assert that someone is very much alive. Yet that was the case before noon on Friday, when news of the death of Pat Burns spread like wildfire on Twitter.

The son of the former award-winning NHL coach was forced to call in to CBC Radio to set the record straight that his father was alive. About half an hour later, TSN’s Bob McKenzie also spoke with Burns himself, who said, “Here we go again. They are trying to kill me before I am dead…I’m not dead, far [expletive] from it. They’ve had me dead since June. Tell them I’m alive. Set them straight.”

It all started when there were reports of his death on Twitter, citing a tweet by CTV Ottawa. More outlets began to cite a report by TSN and the confusion continued when the Toronto Star spoke to Toronto Maple Leafs (http://www.hockeyfights.com/teams/28) executive Cliff Fletcher, who said that a friend called him to say that Burns had died. But Newstalk 1010, along with the CBC reported the son as a source saying his father was still alive. A few minutes later, CTV Ottawa retracted its report.

Fletcher also issued a written apology statement saying “I extend my deepest apologies to Pat Burns and his family. Unfortunately, I was misinformed by a friend earlier today and my public comments were completely inaccurate.”

Burns has a lengthy history with cancer, fighting off colon cancer in 2004 and liver cancer a few years later. In 2009, he was diagnosed with lung cancer. On Thursday, it was reported that his health had taken a turn for the worse. He is now in Quebec to spend time with his family.

polamalubeast
09-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Sorry