PDA

View Full Version : Watch: Javon Hargrave Proving He’s Already One Of The NFL’s Best Nose Tackles

Shoes
11-02-2017, 12:58 PM
Hopefully Sunday night served as a coming out party for Pittsburgh Steelers’ nose tackle Javon Hargrave. Locally, we all know how good he’s been but there was virtually no buzz about him on the national stage. But he was sensational against the Detroit Lions.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/11/watch-javon-hargrave-proving-already-one-best-nfls-nose-tackles/

teegre
11-02-2017, 02:00 PM
As I've stated numerous times...

Hargrave is the best pick from the 2016 draft class... which is saying a lot, because I really like Burns & Davis.

hawaiiansteeler
11-02-2017, 02:05 PM

Hargrave is the best pick from the 2016 draft class... which is saying a lot, because I really like Burns & Davis.

that's turning out to be a pretty good draft class :thumbsup:

teegre
11-02-2017, 02:08 PM
that's turning out to be a pretty good draft class :thumbsup:

Indeed.

DesertSteel
11-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Does he have the biggest butt in Steelers' history??? Awesome!

Mojouw
11-02-2017, 03:13 PM

Not sure how much stock I put in PFR's AV stat, but it does say that Hargrave is one of the best picks in the entire 2016 draft.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/draft.htm

steelreserve
11-02-2017, 05:36 PM
Does he have the biggest butt in Steelers' history??? Awesome!

Doubtful ...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A8-hUk1CEAEJ4t1.jpg

Psycho Ward 86
11-02-2017, 09:55 PM
Again, not seeing why we cant keep Hargrave on the field by using him to spell both Tuitt and Heyward. All the time? No, but he played really well in Heyward's absence. Lack of length/height be damned, Hargrave is squarely in the debate as one of our top 2 best defenders in the first 8 games. If the ravens can find a way to keep a more conventional nose tackle like Brandon Williams on the field extensively, then we can absolutely find a way to keep a pass rush nightmare like Hargrave on the field too.

Still lowkey hoping he embraces the Gravedigger moniker and incorporates it into a sack celebration

teegre
11-03-2017, 06:35 AM
Not sure how much stock I put in PFR's AV stat, but it does say that Hargrave is one of the best picks in the entire 2016 draft.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/draft.htm

:nod:

On the flip side, that Jerald Hawkins pick keeps looking worse and worse...

Mojouw
11-03-2017, 09:43 AM
:nod:

On the flip side, that Jerald Hawkins pick keeps looking worse and worse...

Yeah. Where did the good Hawkins go? That guy looked like a LT in waiting. Now Hawkins looks like Tony Hills 2.0.

steelreserve
11-03-2017, 10:25 AM
Again, not seeing why we cant keep Hargrave on the field by using him to spell both Tuitt and Heyward. All the time? No, but he played really well in Heyward's absence.

There really shouldn't be a problem with that. We have three defensive linemen who are basically interchangeable.

Hargrave is not the Traditional Nose Tackle who can only play on running downs. That's kind of what the modern "Nose Tackle 2.0" is - big and strong enough to clog up the middle OR get pressure up the middle; athletic enough to play anywhere else along the line too. He and Tuitt strike me as players who could both fill that role; Heyward is the only one who's noticeably better as an end, although he can (and has) gotten by in spot duty playing more of a DT position on pure talent.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Yeah. Where did the good Hawkins go? That guy looked like a LT in waiting. Now Hawkins looks like Tony Hills 2.0.

Yeah, its still a bit early, but I would like to have seen Hawkins be that swing tackle instead of being behind Hubbard and Feiler. IMO, Hawkins should have stayed at LSU for 1 more year, so this would be his rookie year. He is great in the run game and athletic, but should definitely be ahead of Feiler by now.

Born2Steel
11-03-2017, 11:40 AM
I think Hawkins was injured all of last season and has had injury issues this season also. I agree it's too early to dismiss this guy. Soft tissue injuries on these 'big guys' take a bit longer to fully come back from. I'll give him the same 3 year pass I did for Golson. If he's not a true contributor by this time next season, I would think he's a wash at that point.

- - - Updated - - -

On the Hargrave point, I had not heard or seen much, if any, on him prior to draft day. When his name was called, I was a bit "WHO?". Now he may be the pick of the draftpick litter. Just goes to show that the FO does have a pretty good eye for talent.

tube517
11-03-2017, 11:44 AM
I think Hawkins was injured all of last season and has had injury issues this season also. I agree it's too early to dismiss this guy. Soft tissue injuries on these 'big guys' take a bit longer to fully come back from. I'll give him the same 3 year pass I did for Golson. If he's not a true contributor by this time next season, I would think he's a wash at that point.

- - - Updated - - -

On the Hargrave point, I had not heard or seen much, if any, on him prior to draft day. When his name was called, I was a bit "WHO?". Now he may be the pick of the draftpick litter. Just goes to show that the FO does have a pretty good eye for talent.

I don't watch or study draft picks like others but there were quite a few in this forum who said to watch out for Hargrave before the draft.

teegre
11-03-2017, 02:14 PM
I don't watch or study draft picks like others but there were quite a few in this forum who said to watch out for Hargrave before the draft.

Indeed :wink02:

pczach
11-03-2017, 04:52 PM
He is a disruptive force in the middle. If it weren't for a couple blatant holds, he would have had at least one sack and made a few plays in the backfield in the Lions game. That has been happening a lot with him because he is becoming increasingly difficult to handle.

When he does develop his reputation, he will be getting those calls. There are times when he appears to be unblockable.

He was an awesome draft pick and a great value at the position he was taken.