PDA

View Full Version : THings I Think I Think After Week 8

Mojouw
10-30-2017, 10:19 AM
Ohhhhhhh Boy....So many things this week. Both good and bad! In no particular order:

1. Why is slot WR the position that talent goes to die in this offense? Manny Sanders, Wheaton, and now Jujubee and Eli Rogers. On a night where AB was getting wrapped up fairly tight, Jesse James was doing his usual disappearing act -- Eli Rogers might as well not have played. If anyone can figure out why the 3 WR in this offense can't seem to make anything happen, please let me know.

2. Continuing with the WR room. Okay - can we give Justin Hunter back? Once again, another NFL team and its fans (myself) included, got entranced by a dude who lights it up in practice and looks the part. Turn on the bright lights and strap on the pads -- Hunter disappears. Honestly, at this point, I would rather Coates still be on the roster and we can all argue about his "upside and potential" versus Justin Hunter and his annual disappearing act. Really thought the Steelers could reform him. Where the hell is Eli Rogers? Can we take out an ad on a milk carton or something? Long story short, once again, despite pouring resources into the position and looking loaded on paper -- the Steelers find themselves only 2 deep at the position. Which brings us to Martavis Bryant. Looks like the team needs him to step up and "be great" (to steal from Santonio). Anyone want to count on that in a crucial late-season drive?

3. For the second week in a row and again with success -- Haley and Roethlisberger remembered that you can attempt pass plays between the hash marks, not just along the boundary. I still find myself fantasizing about this exact same offense and defense with a healthy Ladarius Green tearing teams apart over the middle. Seriously, if that signing had worked out I really think that he would've been a "cure" for some of the red-zone woes. I think that I am finally on "team Shoes" and my new rallying cry is "Damn the torpedoes! Draft the best TE available ASAP!!!" Hopefully, Jujubee can be pressed into service as a match-up issue for safeties and sub-package CBs going forward -- he certainly seems to have the lack of fear needed to make a living over the middle.

4. Rosie Nix kinda forgot how to block this week. He missed several blocks.

5. Something isn't right with Ben. He looks like a guy who isn't cutting it loose back there. He looks like he is throwing darts and/or trying to "place" the ball. Needs to figure out why he is only throwing his fastball to AB. Just cut it loose - you have always been better when you don't try and aim it. In contrast, Stafford was just humming them in there last night. Stark contrast.

6. Talking about QBs still. Everyone wants to tell me that Cousins or Smith can be a short-term answer to the post-Ben QB "gap". Then I see those teams attempt to lean on their Qb and their guy come up short. Then I watch a guy like Stafford throw - what a difference. He ripped apart that Cover-2 hole repeatedly with no fear using throws that Smith and Cousins simply can't make. He also repeatedly stood in against a rush behind a porous line and got the ball out on schedule and without "happy feet". Look at that last Lions offensive play again. Stafford made something happen (it would've been picked) and gave his receiver at least a small chance. Dalton, rolled out and threw it away in a similar situation. Smith just wilts in those situations - same with Cousins. So what am I saying? Steelers need a guy with a good head for diagnosing coverages, a strong enough arm to hit that sideline throw between zones, and little fear of the pass rush. Sound like any bald headed rocket scientist anyone can think of?

7. I get the rampant disappointment that many have expressed with the pass rush last night.

Butler got after it. He dialed up rushes and blitzes in all situations. I think we are looking at increasing confidence in leaving his main 4-5 DBs back their on their own. Nice to see the return of at least occasional "big" blitzes.
Stafford was getting the ball out quick. Not sure that it was really the offensive line or it is hard to get to anyone who is throwing in 2-3 seconds.
Dupree still has no counter-move. How is this possible? Can't TJ Watt just teach him that little inside rip move he has where he crosses the tackle's face and falls down? At least he is getting free.
I think Butler needs to draw up a delayed blitz. Shazier or Hilton might have the speed to get home with a late start. Multiple times last night the only reason Stafford wasn't knocked flat was a great pick-up by the back. Maybe make that back face an impossible situation?

8. Whoa boy, that secondary though. Gave up yards last night in bunches, but that is by "design". Stafford beat the real open spot in any Cover-2. Hats off to him he made the throws that not many can make. I see all these comments that the Steelers corners sagged off. That's not true at all. Can't be giving a cushion from in front of the receiver. Now they have the bye week to patch the hole. Lions showed everyone where to attack the Steelers secondary - along the boundary between the safety and the CB and along the seams between the LB and the safety. Not totally original, but if you have the receivers and a strong armed QB - it can work. Long story short, Lions beat "hole in zone" in coverage more than they beat the Steelers DBs last night.

9. Artie Burns is one fearless cocky SOB. He is basically just daring guys to try and run past him. As Collingsworth said in the broadcast, I don't think he bothered to backpedal on a few plays last night! He starts getting his timing down, and he is going to start coming up with the ball.

10. Wille Gay and Mike Mitchell deserve medals for what they are doing. The level of communication and analysis they demonstrate on each play and on the sidelines is amazing. Wonder if Lake even needs to say anything on game-day?

One bonus observation: Ryan Shazier is straight matching wits with QBs out there. Stafford audible at least twice last night and Shazier visibly audibled right back. Just got right in Stafford's line of sight and said "your move". Awesome!

Bottom line, a lot to work on during the bye - but I am more optimistic about this year's team than many in recent memories.

Moose
10-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Agree ! Gonna need some tweaks to make post season and SB. A good QB ( Stafford/Brady etc) with some good offense would rip our present defense secondary coverage.

polamalubeast
10-30-2017, 10:44 AM
The steelers have always been at their best in the second half of the season in the few last years.

The steelers are 6-2 in their first 8 games this year, they were 4-4 after 8 games in 2015 and 2016 ...

Texasteel
10-30-2017, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=Mojouw;613347]

5. Something isn't right with Ben. He looks like a guy who isn't cutting it loose back there. He looks like he is throwing darts and/or trying to "place" the ball. Needs to figure out why he is only throwing his fastball to AB. Just cut it loose - you have always been better when you don't try and aim it. In contrast, Stafford was just humming them in there last night. Stark contrast.

As I got older I found that it was more difficult to concentrate. I'm not saying that Ben has forgotten how to play but QB is a position that you need to concentrate the whole game. Like his INT. From the time the ball was snapped to the moment he let the ball go he seamed to be looking straight at AB. How often have we seen Ben do that.

Edman
10-30-2017, 11:08 AM
The Lions were coming off a bye week, and had even more extra time to prepare for the Steelers. They did a pretty good job. Fortunately, the Steelers D showed they have other ways of beating them. You can take all the yards you want, but you're not scoring. This was a wrinkle of Butler he did all last year to compensate for the lackluster secondary.

There was an open hole in the secondary, but the Steelers deliberately left it open all game to lure Stafford in. When the hole closed up, which was in the Red Zone, Stafford couldn't deal and started to screw up. Stafford is talented, but theres a reason why he's considered overpaid and overrated. Stafford is arrogant and easily manipulated. He played right into the Steelers' trap. Sometimes, it isn't a good thing to take what the Defense gives you and you actually have to make plays.

The Steelers clamped down everywhere else, but gave Stafford an open hole all game, knowing he would take it, and he took it hook line and sinker. Result: 423 yards passing, but no touchdowns. The Lions are held to 15 points. This is why Stafford will never be anything more than second-tier, and why the Lions are perpetually mediocre.

This is why I consider last night to be the Defenses' finest performance. They actually outschemed and outsmarted an opponent.

Shoes
10-30-2017, 11:27 AM
The Lions were coming off a bye week, and had even more extra time to prepare for the Steelers. They did a pretty good job. Fortunately, the Steelers D showed they have other ways of beating them. You can take all the yards you want, but you're not scoring. This was a wrinkle of Butler he did all last year to compensate for the lackluster secondary.

There was an open hole in the secondary, but the Steelers deliberately left it open all game to lure Stafford in. When the hole closed up, which was in the Red Zone, Stafford couldn't deal and started to screw up. Stafford is talented, but theres a reason why he's considered overpaid and overrated. Stafford is arrogant and easily manipulated. He played right into the Steelers' trap. Sometimes, it isn't a good thing to take what the Defense gives you and you actually have to make plays.

The Steelers clamped down everywhere else, but gave Stafford an open hole all game, knowing he would take it, and he took it hook line and sinker. Result: 423 yards passing, but no touchdowns. The Lions are held to 15 points. This is why Stafford will never be anything more than second-tier, and why the Lions are perpetually mediocre.

This is why I consider last night to be the Defenses' finest performance. They actually outschemed and outsmarted an opponent.

Exactly, I'll take that all day.

DesertSteel
10-30-2017, 12:04 PM
I think Ben's footwork must have gone bad. Terrible misses.

SteelMember
10-30-2017, 12:13 PM
1. Why is slot WR the position that talent goes to die in this offense? Manny Sanders, Wheaton, and now Jujubee and Eli Rogers. On a night where AB was getting wrapped up fairly tight, Jesse James was doing his usual disappearing act -- Eli Rogers might as well not have played. If anyone can figure out why the 3

Imma give James a pass this week. He only had 3 targets, but one was for over 30 yards... and the one he dropped took a shot in the chin to dislodge. He came back a couple plays later.

Mojouw
10-30-2017, 12:14 PM
I totally forgot about this:

Javon Hargrave single-handedly kept at least 2 Lions touchdowns off the board. Amazing performance.

st33lersguy
10-30-2017, 12:21 PM
The defense stepped up when they had to but I really hope they don't plan on letting Brady travel into the red zone 5 times

Also, yeah, you are not alone hopping on the draft a TE early bandwagon. TE is one of the biggest needs right now

AtlantaDan
10-30-2017, 12:26 PM

Or as was posted several weeks ago the leg injuries have caught up with him and his mechanics now require more use of his upper body

He had a long completion to Brown in the Chiefs game where he threw the ball flatfooted like he was pushing it

https://giphy.com/gifs/3ohhwFKMk0EKXwvCdq?utm_source=iframe&utm_medium=em bed&utm_campaign=Embeds&utm_term=https%3A%2F%2Ffee dly.com%2F

SteelMember
10-30-2017, 12:28 PM
Also, yeah, you are not alone hopping on the draft a TE early bandwagon. TE is one of the biggest needs right now

Bryant for Ebron... straight up. Do you take it?

DesertSteel
10-30-2017, 12:31 PM
Imma give James a pass this week. He only had 3 targets, but one was for over 30 yards... and the one he dropped took a shot in the chin to dislodge. He came back a couple plays later.
I thought James had a good game. Showed some YAC and toughness.

AtlantaDan
10-30-2017, 12:31 PM

And go with who as the third WR - Eli?

Hoping for better things from James and McDonald looks more likely than getting anything out of Rogers or Hunter

SteelMember
10-30-2017, 12:32 PM
Or as was posted several weeks ago the leg injuries have caught up with him and his mechanics now require more use of his upper body

He had a long completion to Brown in the Chiefs game where he threw the ball flatfooted like he was pushing it

https://giphy.com/gifs/3ohhwFKMk0EKXwvCdq?utm_source=iframe&utm_medium=em bed&utm_campaign=Embeds&utm_term=https%3A%2F%2Ffee dly.com%2F

Frankenberger does have some bad knees now, but I think he just couldn't step into the throw in that example. Just a little hop there

DesertSteel
10-30-2017, 12:34 PM
No way.

st33lersguy
10-30-2017, 12:36 PM

Ebron? No

Mojouw
10-30-2017, 12:37 PM

No way. If Bryant gets his mind right, he is a force. Ebron is a drive killing enigma. This roster already has multiple big TEs with questionable hands.

No snarkiness intended, but how is Grimble any different than Ebron?

SteelMember
10-30-2017, 12:38 PM
And go with who as the third WR - Eli?

Hoping for better things from James and McDonald looks more likely than getting anything out of Rogers or Hunter

I just put that together because they both seem to want out. Before last night and his 2 big catches, he has been relentlessly booed by the home fans. :chuckle:
He was a 1st round pick for them, so the "value" could be there if you thought a change of scenery could get him out of his funk.

Mojouw
10-30-2017, 12:39 PM
I thought James had a good game. Showed some YAC and toughness.

He got open like twice and had his general pattern where he got in the neighborhood of a block, and then kinda didn't do anything. He let some backside pursuit through on a few run plays as well.

James is a tough kid and a gamer, but he is simply over-matched at the NFL level as a starting TE.

SteelMember
10-30-2017, 12:44 PM
Ebron? No

So, a one year deal for Jimmy Graham then?

- - - Updated - - -

He got open like twice and had his general pattern where he got in the neighborhood of a block, and then kinda didn't do anything. He let some backside pursuit through on a few run plays as well.

James is a tough kid and a gamer, but he is simply over-matched at the NFL level as a starting TE.

Heath Miller is not walking out of that tunnel...

Mojouw
10-30-2017, 01:08 PM
So, a one year deal for Jimmy Graham then?

- - - Updated - - -

Heath Miller is not walking out of that tunnel...

I understand that. But I would rather see Grimble or MacDonald at this point. Multiple offensive plays per game are getting blown up before they can start because James is a poor blocker. He certainly tries, but he seems slow to diagnose the rush, slow to identify a guy, and is poor at holding blocks once he picks a guy to hit.

Next time a run, screen, or pass play gets oddly blown up by a random free defender coming into the backfield or off the edge - look for #81. He is usually standing near the scene of the crime looking around wondering how his block is making the play.

DesertSteel
10-30-2017, 01:13 PM
Perhaps in some ways, but at least he can catch a football, unlike McD.

- - - Updated - - -

Multiple offensive plays per game are getting blown up before they can start because James is a poor blocker.
Do you isolate on him during the telecast? I admit that I rarely do, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

BlackAndGold
10-30-2017, 01:21 PM
I understand that. But I would rather see Grimble or MacDonald at this point. Multiple offensive plays per game are getting blown up before they can start because James is a poor blocker. He certainly tries, but he seems slow to diagnose the rush, slow to identify a guy, and is poor at holding blocks once he picks a guy to hit.

Next time a run, screen, or pass play gets oddly blown up by a random free defender coming into the backfield or off the edge - look for #81. He is usually standing near the scene of the crime looking around wondering how his block is making the play.

McDonald has played great, we missed him last night in terms of run blocking. No doubt he is the #1 TE on this team.

Hopefully when the All-22 comes out we'll see how both JJ and Grimble faired.

SteelMember
10-30-2017, 01:33 PM

I believe McDonald was out and Grimble had quite a few snaps because of that.

Point was a TE that excels at both blocking and pass catching is a rare commodity. We have a roster that reflects the same as most other teams. One that blocks (slightly) better than the other, and one that catches/runs routes better than the other. I think the fact we're running a FB out there again is a real indication of our "overall" poor blocking at TE... but he's not getting that token pass play for his efforts either. :wink02:

Mojouw
10-30-2017, 01:40 PM
Perhaps in some ways, but at least he can catch a football, unlike McD.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you isolate on him during the telecast? I admit that I rarely do, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Not always, but I do attempt to see where unblocked players in the backfield or from backside pursuit are coming from and often I see #81 just kinda standing there looking at the play with this "Well, crap! It happened again!" body language.

It is most noticeable on outside runs where James is either supposed to be sealing the edge or leading the back around the corner. He, at best, gets in the way of his man. Rarely does he drive him back and rarely does he put the dude on his ass.

I actually could care less if a TE catches another pass all season. I would settle for the TEs holding and finishing there blocks. Ben, Bell, etc are getting a lot of heat for leaving plays out on the field. And rightly so. But these are the "little" things that lead to plays getting left on the field.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe McDonald was out and Grimble had quite a few snaps because of that.

Point was a TE that excels at both blocking and pass catching is a rare commodity. We have a roster that reflects the same as most other teams. One that blocks (slightly) better than the other, and one that catches/runs routes better than the other. I think the fact we're running a FB out there again is a real indication of our "overall" poor blocking at TE... but he's not getting that token pass play for his efforts either. :wink02:

That is a fair point. I would seriously contemplate a reserve linebacker or some one who can put guys on their back when blocking at this point.

Watch the Bell TD run again. James managed to "lead" Bell through the hole and not block a soul. Like find a guy and hit him. Honestly at the 3 yard line? Find anyone and put a hat on him - its almost guaranteed to be useful.

SteelMember
10-30-2017, 01:58 PM
That is a fair point. I would seriously contemplate a reserve linebacker or some one who can put guys on their back when blocking at this point.

Watch the Bell TD run again. James managed to "lead" Bell through the hole and not block a soul. Like find a guy and hit him. Honestly at the 3 yard line? Find anyone and put a hat on him - its almost guaranteed to be useful.

That's very true, but I've watched others lead block 10 yards in front and not touch anyone either. I know it's probably different with Bell's style, but thinking just because you got through the hole doesn't mean he's right on your ass all the time.

DesertSteel
10-30-2017, 02:09 PM
I actually could care less if a TE catches another pass all season. I would settle for the TEs holding and finishing there blocks. Ben, Bell, etc are getting a lot of heat for leaving plays out on the field. And rightly so. But these are the "little" things that lead to plays getting left on the field.
OK then why bother with a TE? Why not just use a 6th lineman?

I like my TEs to actually be able to catch a ball.

teegre
10-30-2017, 02:13 PM

BB is not stepping up and/or aligning his feet correctly.

(That example, he might not have had room to step up.)

Look at the pass to a wide open Jesse James... and compare it to the TD pass to JuJu. His footwork in the first one is horrible, and it's good in the second one. IMO, it is as simple as that.

Now, it this due to his age... his injuries... or, as my brother brought up, for the first time in BB's career, it appears that BB is afraid of getting hit.

Mojouw
10-30-2017, 02:19 PM
OK then why bother with a TE? Why not just use a 6th lineman?

I like my TEs to actually be able to catch a ball.

James' struggles in blocking are so detrimental to the rest of the offense, that I would rather have a 6th lineman in there.

I also want my TEs to catch. But, at this point, James' value in the passing game is far outweighed by how badly he is hurting the offense with his blocking.

SteelMember
10-30-2017, 02:24 PM
Speaking of blocking, I'm glad we're at the bye. If we had to go into next week with only Matt Feiler at RT... ummm yeah.

Shoes
10-30-2017, 02:41 PM
Ebron? No

No thanks, draft a complete Steeler TE.

Mojouw
10-30-2017, 02:43 PM
Speaking of blocking, I'm glad we're at the bye. If we had to go into next week with only Matt Feiler at RT... ummm yeah.

Great point! Anyone know what is wrong with Hawkins - or does he just stink now?

Born2Steel
10-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Great point! Anyone know what is wrong with Hawkins - or does he just stink now?

Didn't he spend his rookie year on IR? I think he's just learning to play tackle at this level. They can't ALL be AV. :lol:

polamalubeast
10-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Maybe Roethlisberger is no longer in his prime, but I believe that steelers can win a super bowl with him, with the talent that steelers have.

But of course, he can be much better ... at least yesterday, Ben was great on the 3rd down for the first time of the year...Ben was like 9/12 on the 3rd down with 2 drops pass (one by JuJu and the other by Eli Rogers.

And remember in 2008, many had doubts about Ben with his injury to his shoulder and it was more true when Roethlisberger had 3 disastrous games in a row against the giants, redskins and colts(1 TD,8 INT in his 3 games) but even if Roethlisberger was not incredible after his 3 games he was very good when the steelers needed him.

Let's hope it's going to be the same thing this year.

DesertSteel
10-30-2017, 03:00 PM
James' struggles in blocking are so detrimental to the rest of the offense
Why do you think that Tomlin and Haley don't share your opinion?

Shoes
10-30-2017, 03:05 PM
Why do you think that Tomlin and Haley don't share your opinion?

Well they must share it somewhat, by picking up McDonald who is a much better blocker than James. The problem is he can't catch! Most folks didn't think Millers retirement was going to be an issue since we had so many "great" WR, we don't need a Miller type TE. BS!

DesertSteel
10-30-2017, 03:10 PM
Well they must somewhat, by picking up McDonald who is a much better blocker than James. The problem is most folks didn't think Millers retirement was going to be an issue since we had so many "great" WR, why we don't need a Miller type TE. BS!
I guarantee you that they don't think that James is "detrimental to the offense." No coach would play, much less start someone with that status.

tube517
10-30-2017, 03:12 PM
I totally forgot about this:

Javon Hargrave single-handedly kept at least 2 Lions touchdowns off the board. Amazing performance.

Hargrave is a beast.

What a deep DL we have now. Alualu also steps up with that 4th down tackle of Stafford preventing a TD.

Gone are the days of Dirty Dick.

Shoes
10-30-2017, 03:14 PM
I guarantee you that they don't think that James is "detrimental to the offense." No coach would play, much less start someone with that status.

I don't think James is detrimental to the O, he just can't block which is very important.:chuckle: So why pick up McDonald, Just to make James work harder?

Blake was pretty detrimental to the defense. :chuckle:

SteelMember
10-30-2017, 03:25 PM

He's been inactive. I believe he's the LT backup. May not be a great swing option thus the option to dress Feiler instead... who had a history of zero snaps.

SteelMember
10-30-2017, 03:34 PM
No thanks, draft a complete Steeler TE.

Well, to be fair, Kittle isn't getting may targets either. And that team is a mess.

Shoes
10-30-2017, 03:34 PM
Well, to be fair, Kittle isn't getting may targets either. And that team is a mess.

That's a good reason.

Mojouw
10-30-2017, 03:36 PM

I guess they basically had to last night. McDonald was inactive and Grimble is more suspect at both catching and blocking than James.

So I am not certain that "starter by default" is a major ringing endorsement. Again, I am not trying to post that I am smarter or know better than the paid actual NFL coaches. I don't. All I am pointing out is that it is not getting discussed enough, as folks try to figure out the redzone and third down struggles, that there are multiple breakdowns in the "little things" from players that would ideally be back-ups but are starters currently.

James is simply not a very good blocker. I don't think that is a surprise.
Hubbard gets beat about 2-3 times a game - sometimes in critical spots. That is not new information either.
Conner stinks at blitz pick-up right now. It has led to at least one turnover and his insertion into the line-up is usually a "tip-off" that it will be a run because no one trusts him in pass protection. Is not the first and will not be the last rookie in this situation.

And I think I am mostly writing this to let Shoes know, I am finally on his side. I agree that TE is a need. But I will also still cling to my one caveat -- none of the first round guys were worth snot as blockers this year! :)

Shoes
10-30-2017, 03:39 PM
I guess they basically had to last night. McDonald was inactive and Grimble is more suspect at both catching and blocking than James.

So I am not certain that "starter by default" is a major ringing endorsement. Again, I am not trying to post that I am smarter or know better than the paid actual NFL coaches. I don't. All I am pointing out is that it is not getting discussed enough, as folks try to figure out the redzone and third down struggles, that there are multiple breakdowns in the "little things" from players that would ideally be back-ups but are starters currently.

Hubbard gets beat about 2-3 times a game - sometimes in critical spots. That is not new information either.
Conner stinks at blitz pick-up right now. It has led to at least one turnover and his insertion into the line-up is usually a "tip-off" that it will be a run because no one trusts him in pass protection. Is not the first and will not be the last rookie in this situation.

And I think I am mostly writing this to let Shoes know, I am finally on his side. I agree that TE is a need. But I will also still cling to my one caveat -- none of the first round guys were worth snot as blockers this year! :)

The more the merrier. :lol:

SteelMember
10-30-2017, 03:40 PM
Have you seen the 49ers team?

Yeah, the O and eight ones. You gonna make me watch more. Please, no.

You think they'd trade for a diva wideout with a herbal compulsion? :chuckle:

DesertSteel
10-30-2017, 03:55 PM

I'm gonna start isolating on James the next couple of games to see if he's as bad as you say. That said, I'm all for drafting a TE in the first three rounds next year.

Born2Steel
10-30-2017, 04:47 PM
I'm gonna start isolating on James the next couple of games to see if he's as bad as you say. That said, I'm all for drafting a TE in the first three rounds next year.

Rd1 QB
Rd2 TE
Rd3 WR

Apparently we need weapons.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-30-2017, 05:24 PM
The more the merrier. :lol:

I'd have drafted Jake Butt, George Kittle or Jordan Leggett in the 4th instead of Dobbs. A decent TE prospect was something needed.

Maybe Leggett is a reach, because of attitude, but still would have liked to see a TE.

Shoes
10-30-2017, 05:31 PM
I'd have drafted Jake Butt, George Kittle or Jordan Leggett in the 4th instead of Dobbs. A decent TE prospect was something needed.

Maybe Leggett is a reach, because of attitude, but still would have liked to see a TE.

Agreed!

Psycho Ward 86
10-30-2017, 06:22 PM
Things we all know after week 8:

1) Mike Mitchell is the biggest detriment to this defense. Particularly in cover 2. Old news. It must have been pure agony for Joe Haden to play as well as he has and haplessly watch Mitchell fuck up as coverage responsibility are handed off from zone to zone

2) Vince Williams started real slow but has ramped up his play (Just like Lawrence Timmons used to be, what a coincidence) to a high level starting with the Chiefs game. I was wondering where Vince's solid spot starts from past seasons had gone, but it looks like he's got it down now

3) Big Ben had a QB Rating 127 when targeting Juju BEFORE the Lions game. Whatever seems to be ailing Ben, throwing to Juju some more is sure to help

Mojouw
10-30-2017, 06:41 PM

The pick I would redo is Conner. He just isn't NFL ready and competent back-up RBs can be found via a variety of means.

- - - Updated - - -

Things we all know after week 8:

1) Mike Mitchell is the biggest detriment to this defense. Particularly in cover 2. Old news. It must have been pure agony for Joe Haden to play as well as he has and haplessly watch Mitchell fuck up as coverage responsibility are handed off from zone to zone

2) Vince Williams started real slow but has ramped up his play (Just like Lawrence Timmons used to be, what a coincidence) to a high level starting with the Chiefs game. I was wondering where Vince's solid spot starts from past seasons had gone, but it looks like he's got it down now

3) Big Ben had a QB Rating 127 when targeting Juju BEFORE the Lions game. Whatever seems to be ailing Ben, throwing to Juju some more is sure to help

I would love to see someone really breakdown the coverage responsibilities and "blame" for all the passes completed against "hole in zone" last night. Is it on Mitchell? Or is it just a play that the scheme will give you over and over if you can hit it? Did Butler leave that out there for a reason or were the Steelers unable to adjust/execute?

I'm not defending Mitchell, but there is so much more there I want to know! Starting with, at what point to the Steelers need to admit their safeties are not closing that hole and separating wideouts from the ball, so you gotta do something else...

teegre
10-30-2017, 07:44 PM
The pick I would redo is Conner. He just isn't NFL ready and competent back-up RBs can be found via a variety of means.

I’d pick Dak Prescott instead of Jerald Hawkins (in the 2016 draft). Then, with Dak in the roster, there’d have been no need to draft a QB in 2017. Voila!!!... Kittle (or whomever) is a Steeler.

polamalubeast
10-30-2017, 07:47 PM
I’d pick Dak Prescott instead of Jerald Hawkins (in the 2016 draft). Then, with Dak in the roster, there’d have been no need to draft a QB in 2017. Voila!!!... Kittle (or whomever) is a Steeler.

If Dark would be with us, nobody would know if Dark is good or not and I'm afraid he would still be behind Landry Jones ...

teegre
10-30-2017, 07:51 PM
If Dark would be with us, nobody would know if Dark is good or not and I'm afraid he would still be behind Landry Jones ...

Maybe... maybe not.

polamalubeast
10-30-2017, 07:52 PM
Maybe... maybe not.

True

Craic
10-30-2017, 08:28 PM

Frankenberger does have some bad knees now, but I think he just couldn't step into the throw in that example. Just a little hop there

I've been noticing it for a while. To be honest, and I don't like this assessment, but it reminds me too much of Peyton Manning's throwing style his last year when he had already lost some arm strength. The pure arm-throws Ben used to make now have to be made from the whole upper body, and the upper body throws he used to make needs to be made with the momentum of the whole body now.

And, because that's true, I think it's thrown off his accuracy. He can no longer just hit the guy crossing in front of him 20 yards downfield with a flick of the arm. So, the extra motion takes extra time, and all of that means he also has to re-calibrate his sense of timing and how hard he has to throw the ball to get it there since it's a different momentum.

Psycho Ward 86
10-30-2017, 10:26 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to see someone really breakdown the coverage responsibilities and "blame" for all the passes completed against "hole in zone" last night. Is it on Mitchell? Or is it just a play that the scheme will give you over and over if you can hit it? Did Butler leave that out there for a reason or were the Steelers unable to adjust/execute?

I'm not defending Mitchell, but there is so much more there I want to know! Starting with, at what point to the Steelers need to admit their safeties are not closing that hole and separating wideouts from the ball, so you gotta do something else...

To be fair its both, but Mitchell has been way too big of a culprit on defending his deep 1/2 on cover 2 when the adjacent cornerback is passing off a receiver to his zone. A huge percentage of Stafford's big throws came there and Mitchell consistently arrived "on time" to deliver a big hit, but consistently too late to actually play the ball. If this were pre-2009 NFL Mitchell might actually be a pretty good safety but its not

teegre
10-31-2017, 06:30 AM
Rd1 QB
Rd2 TE
Rd3 WR

Apparently we need weapons.

As of October 31st, here are my thoughts:

Go with Dobbs. The QB class was looking great... until they started playing the games. Surround Dobbs with as much talent as possible, and see what he can do.

R1: Quenton Nelson, LG, Notre Dame
Foster can’t play forever, and as good as Finney is, Nelson is flat-out amazing. He is overshadowed by McGlinchey (for good reason); so, he is often the forgotten superstar on that O-line.

R2: Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin
A former “R1 talent” whose leg injury has slowed him. His loss is our gain.

R3: Jordan Whitehead, S, Pitt
Regardless or our desires, I expect Mitchell to be here one more season. Size, suspensions, and injuries will drop Whitehead to R3. Draft him and groom him to take over as a starter in 2019 (as well as, replace Golden in 2018).

Born2Steel
10-31-2017, 10:26 AM

Go with Dobbs. The QB class was looking great... until they started playing the games. Surround Dobbs with as much talent as possible, and see what he can do.

Foster can’t play forever, and as good as Finney is, Nelson is flat-out amazing. He is overshadowed by McGlinchey (for good reason); so, he is often the forgotten superstar on that O-line.

Regardless or our desires, I expect Mitchell to be here one more season. Size, suspensions, and injuries will drop Whitehead to R3. Draft him and groom him to take over as a starter in 2019 (as well as, replace Golden in 2018).

Dobbs can be a good backup, I just don't see him as the future of the franchise. I watched him in too many TN games. He has a great deep ball but misses on too many short throws. Obviously, QB is the biggest gamble. Depends on the scout reports and who's available. I am not a 'draft for position' guy. I believe in the BPA rule. If that matches position, bonus.

I know we need OL. If Pouncey is serious, and retires when Ben does, he COULD be gone after this season. Foster's replacement needs to be considered as well. I haven't looked into OL for the upcoming draft.

Honestly, I would rather hit FA for a veteran safety again. We keep getting younger, there are just some positions that require experience to be good at. If we're talking for next season or the one after.

As for TE, I want a guy that can actually play the position. TEs block AND pass catch. When did they all seem to become specialists? I really liked that guy from Pitt we had last preseason.

I still think we need to draft better depth at WR. Injuries happen, bikes get stolen.

Also, as of OCT.31st.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-31-2017, 10:41 AM
Dobbs can be a good backup, I just don't see him as the future of the franchise. I watched him in too many TN games. He has a great deep ball but misses on too many short throws. Obviously, QB is the biggest gamble. Depends on the scout reports and who's available. I am not a 'draft for position' guy. I believe in the BPA rule. If that matches position, bonus.

I know we need OL. If Pouncey is serious, and retires when Ben does, he COULD be gone after this season. Foster's replacement needs to be considered as well. I haven't looked into OL for the upcoming draft.

Honestly, I would rather hit FA for a veteran safety again. We keep getting younger, there are just some positions that require experience to be good at. If we're talking for next season or the one after.

As for TE, I want a guy that can actually play the position. TEs block AND pass catch. When did they all seem to become specialists? I really liked that guy from Pitt we had last preseason.

I still think we need to draft better depth at WR. Injuries happen, bikes get stolen.

Also, as of OCT.31st.

I agree, Dobbs isn't the future of the position and has a long way to go. He can be an adequate #2 guy in time. I still think the Steelers need to draft a QB, but it depends who falls to #32 or if they move up in the draft.

As much as I love drafting O line, I think Finney fits into the plans on the interior. IMO, QB, Safety, TE are the most pressing needs.

Born2Steel
10-31-2017, 10:48 AM
Serious question...how many QBs have the Steelers actually drafted? We have the 3 currently on our roster, and Bradshaw are all I can name. Did we draft O'Donnell?

OK, quick Wiki search. turns out we did actually draft O'Donnell. So, that's 3 QBs we drafted that took this team to the SB. That's NOT a bad record when it comes to QB drafting.

tube517
10-31-2017, 10:52 AM
Serious question...how many QBs have the Steelers actually drafted? We have the 3 currently on our roster, and Bradshaw are all I can name. Did we draft O'Donnell?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1970&year_max=2017&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&pick_type=overall&team_id=pit&pos%5B%5D=qb&conference=any&show=all&order_by=default

DesertSteel
10-31-2017, 10:53 AM
I think that nobody knows who will be a good NFL QB. Nobody. The people who are supposed to know and get paid lots of money to know are wrong way more than they are right. Dobbs could be an All-Pro. Nobody thought Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott were going to be more than backups. Teams take guys in R1 all the time that are horrible QBs. I'm gonna step out on the limb here and say that no one on this board knows whether Dobbs can be the future until he actually gets the shot.

Texasteel
10-31-2017, 11:19 AM

Regardless or our desires, I expect Mitchell to be here one more season. Size, suspensions, and injuries will drop Whitehead to R3. Draft him and groom him to take over as a starter in 2019 (as well as, replace Golden in 2018).S

I get what your saying, and I'm not all that excited with this years draft QBs. Rosen maybe.

Nelson is likely gone, take a look at Billy Price Ohio St. He moved to C this year.

Fumagalli can block and has great hands.

Love Whitehead but think he may be a pipe dream in the 3rd.

Born2Steel
10-31-2017, 11:24 AM
I think that nobody knows who will be a good NFL QB. Nobody. The people who are supposed to know and get paid lots of money to know are wrong way more than they are right. Dobbs could be an All-Pro. Nobody thought Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott were going to be more than backups. Teams take guys in R1 all the time that are horrible QBs. I'm gonna step out on the limb here and say that no one on this board knows whether Dobbs can be the future until he actually gets the shot.

That's 100% true. Still, having watched Dobbs be wildly inconsistent in college, it makes sense that he fell to the 3rd. NO draft pick is a sure thing. Proven QBs can excel or fail depending on the system they're asked to run also. That's the reason for the 'Cousins debate' from another thread. I watched a lot of Paxton Lynch over his 3 years at Memphis. I think he would work GREAT in the system we run here. Others swear he is a bust as a pro. We will probably never know the truth of that debate. But you don't stop drafting QBs just because it's such a crap shoot. Bradshaw, O'Donnell, and BB were all our draft picks, and all3 took us to SBs. Not a bad track record in this league.

Moose
10-31-2017, 11:40 AM

I do agree with you, I'd like to see Dobbs get a chance instead of Jones all the time. Maybe a little more playing time would make him more comfortable. Hopefully we won't see Landry or Dobbs this year and Ben stay's healthy. Maybe one thing to think about as far as teams taking guys in R1 being horrible QBs is that it's usually a terrible, bottom feeder team that's drafting the QB thinking he will change the team around. Meanwhile the offensive line stays the same and ends up handicapping the fresh QB. ( Perfect example would be the bungholes who constantly drafted QBs and ruined each one. LOL)

teegre
10-31-2017, 02:18 PM

Also, as of OCT.31st.

Four positions, three picks. OG, TE, S, QB. Unless a QB drops and/or wows me, I'm taking the first three positions.

Signing a free agent like Ladarius Green would be stellar. It would fill a huge void, and not require a draft pick. Stupid concussions.

As as far as WR goes, the Steelers are quite adept at using a R3 or later pick to find quality receivers. I am also hopefully that Bryant from 2015 resurfaces. If not, for a third receiver, I'd be fine with a R4 player.

teegre
10-31-2017, 02:24 PM
S

I get what your saying, and I'm not all that excited with this years draft QBs. Rosen maybe.

Nelson is likely gone, take a look at Billy Price Ohio St. He moved to C this year.

Fumagalli can block and has great hands.

Love Whitehead but think he may be a pipe dream in the 3rd.

Rosen should go #2 overall. (I think Barkley goes #1, because San Fran just got Garoppolo.) He has the arm, the accuracy, and the attitude. That attitude is disliked by most, but he is the cockiest SOB out there, and he WILL try to fit that ball in where it has no right to be. But, he can throw three INTs and turn around and lead your team on a game-wining drive. He is unflappable.

I'll check out Billy Price. His ability to play C is good (in the event that Pouncey retires).

Fumgalli reminds me of the Heath situation, in that an injury will make him slide down draft boards.

Whitehead. True... I dream big. :lol:

DesertSteel
10-31-2017, 02:36 PM
That's 100% true. Still, having watched Dobbs be wildly inconsistent in college, it makes sense that he fell to the 3rd. NO draft pick is a sure thing. Proven QBs can excel or fail depending on the system they're asked to run also. That's the reason for the 'Cousins debate' from another thread. I watched a lot of Paxton Lynch over his 3 years at Memphis. I think he would work GREAT in the system we run here. Others swear he is a bust as a pro. We will probably never know the truth of that debate. But you don't stop drafting QBs just because it's such a crap shoot. Bradshaw, O'Donnell, and BB were all our draft picks, and all3 took us to SBs. Not a bad track record in this league.
Yes! I am in the camp of believing that we need to draft a QB every year and let them battle it out who's good enough to be on the roster. Lots of teams have done that with success.

Mojouw
10-31-2017, 03:53 PM
Rosen should go #2 overall. (I think Barkley goes #1, because San Fran just got Garoppolo.) He has the arm, the accuracy, and the attitude. That attitude is disliked by most, but he is the cockiest SOB out there, and he WILL try to fit that ball in where it has no right to be. But, he can throw three INTs and turn around and lead your team on a game-wining drive. He is unflappable.

I'll check out Billy Price. His ability to play C is good (in the event that Pouncey retires).

Fumgalli reminds me of the Heath situation, in that an injury will make him slide down draft boards.

Whitehead. True... I dream big. :lol:

The whole Garoppolo thing is going to be fascinating to watch play out. Is 8 games going to be enough for SF to get a read on Garp's ceiling? Do they even re-sign him?

The more I think about it, the more I don't get it. How is he going to learn the offense and have any real evaluation period?

Psycho Ward 86
10-31-2017, 04:44 PM

Also, as of OCT.31st.

Sean Davis is a really cerebral dude and can take over communication duties on the back end. We really need to unload Mitchell, both for salary cap and performance reasons. I honesty dont think JJ Wilcox will be much drop off if we keep him. Hes on a cheap contract anyways

teegre
11-01-2017, 06:21 AM
The whole Garoppolo thing is going to be fascinating to watch play out. Is 8 games going to be enough for SF to get a read on Garp's ceiling? Do they even re-sign him?

The more I think about it, the more I don't get it. How is he going to learn the offense and have any real evaluation period?

I didn’t realize that Garoppolo was in the final year of his contract.

Hmm... maybe the Niners are thinking that by acquiring him, they’d have a leg up on re-signing him (as opposed to being “one of many” trying to sign him as a free agent).

Texasteel
11-01-2017, 07:37 AM
They gave up a 2nd round pick for the guy, likely a very high 2nd round. If they can't, or don't intend to get him signed and means they signed him to finish a failed year. That would look more like a Browns move.

BlackAndGold
11-01-2017, 10:27 AM
I didn’t realize that Garoppolo was in the final year of his contract.

Hmm... maybe the Niners are thinking that by acquiring him, they’d have a leg up on re-signing him (as opposed to being “one of many” trying to sign him as a free agent).

9ers have a ton of cap space, zero chance he would get away.

Always could franchise tag him also.

Rotorhead
11-01-2017, 11:17 AM
Another example of a possible great QB being ruined by a franchise . . . Andrew Luck. Give that guy some blocking and talent already. Maybe he gets disgruntled and wants out, wouldnt that be dream come true here.

AtlantaDan
11-01-2017, 12:12 PM

In his P-G chat today Gerry Dulac agrees

I will tell you right now, their No. 1 pick, provided he is available, is Penn State TE Mike Gisecki.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/11/01/Gerry-Dulac-Steelers-chat-11-1-17/stories/201711010133

SteelMember
11-01-2017, 01:03 PM

I will tell you right now, their No. 1 pick, provided he is available, is Penn State TE Mike Gisecki.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/11/01/Gerry-Dulac-Steelers-chat-11-1-17/stories/201711010133

Who is an incredible jump ball/high point pass catcher, but will need a lot of coaching up for his blocking. Penn State uses him more of an H-Back type blocker in open space. So, I wouldn't expect him to have the inline or pulling blocking skills we see from the Steelers. Much more talent than James though... Upgrade for sure.

Mojouw
11-01-2017, 01:32 PM

Pfffft. Another oversized WR that only really works as a "big" target. Didn't we basically draft this dude when he was named Jesse James?

If the Steelers want a TE who can block and find weak spots in zones -- Fumagalli from UW. End of discussion and end of the need to scout the position group. Is he going to stretch NFL defenses vertically? Likely not, but he is going to put dudes on their butts in the run game, not whiff on blocks in the pass game, and the next pass he drops might be the first.

43Hitman
11-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Pfffft. Another oversized WR that only really works as a "big" target. Didn't we basically draft this dude when he was named Jesse James?

If the Steelers want a TE who can block and find weak spots in zones -- Fumagalli from UW. End of discussion and end of the need to scout the position group. Is he going to stretch NFL defenses vertically? Likely not, but he is going to put dudes on their butts in the run game, not whiff on blocks in the pass game, and the next pass he drops might be the first.
A-freaking-men. If you want a combo TE or bad ass offensive lineman, you look in the Big Ten.
/Thread

DesertSteel
11-01-2017, 04:40 PM

Gerry has been reading mojouw's insightful posts.

I'm all for drafting a TE in Rounds 1-3. I was last year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-01-2017, 05:08 PM
9ers have a ton of cap space, zero chance he would get away.

Always could franchise tag him also.

True, they can always Tag Garropalo if they needed to because he is a UFA. A J McCarron is an RFA next year, so the Bungles will likely give him a qualifying offer that drives his price up. I honestly like what I have seen from McCarron and if he was a UFA, would not mind the Steelers offering him a contract, but doubtful its going to happen.

43Hitman
11-01-2017, 05:11 PM
True, they can always Tag Garropalo if they needed to because he is a UFA. A J McCarron is an RFA next year, so the Bungles will likely give him a qualifying offer that drives his price up. I honestly like what I have seen from McCarron and if he was a UFA, would not mind the Steelers offering him a contract, but doubtful its going to happen.
He has a good arm and a good head on his shoulders, we could do worse.

BlackAndGold
11-01-2017, 05:18 PM

If Ben retires I'd have no problem with them going after AJ.

Let AJ, Dobbs and assuming a rookie battle for the starting spot.

polamalubeast
11-01-2017, 05:23 PM
If Ben retires I'd have no problem with them going after AJ.

Let AJ, Dobbs and assuming a rookie battle for the starting spot.

Even at 15 millions per year or more?

Maybe this is crazy but Mike Glennon has a contract of 15 millions per year with the Bears right now!

BlackAndGold
11-01-2017, 05:26 PM

Maybe this is crazy but Mike Glennon has a contract of 15 millions per year with the Bears right now!

Well on 2nd thought, no way at that money.

polamalubeast
11-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Well on 2nd thought, no way at that money.

Agree....McCarron was much better in 2015 that Glennon was in Tampa Bay.

Psycho Ward 86
11-01-2017, 06:44 PM

Us Sconnie guys love our Badgers. In all seriousness though this evaluation is on point, missing fingers and all :lol:. Im kind of hoping his injuries drop to our benefit

Mojouw
11-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Us Sconnie guys love our Badgers. In all seriousness though this evaluation is on point, missing fingers and all :lol:. Im kind of hoping his injuries drop to our benefit

Yeah - there is definitely some homer glasses being used here. But he looks like the real deal!

As TJ!

Shoes
11-01-2017, 07:40 PM

Watch Kittle come to life. :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-01-2017, 09:33 PM

The next 2 QB's making less than Glennon are Jay Cutler and Tyrod Taylor at around $10million, so my guess is AJ McCarron will garner more than $10 million on the market. If you wanna play, you gotta pay when it comes to signing an experienced QB.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2017/

43Hitman
11-02-2017, 03:53 AM
This is what QB's make now, even the mediocre ones. When you see those numbers, you kinda understand where Bell is coming from.

teegre
11-02-2017, 06:20 AM
This is what QB's make now, even the mediocre ones.

Insert here: video of Daniel Tosh talking about Brett Favre’s retirement.

polamalubeast
11-06-2017, 11:31 AM

Mojouw
11-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Well it certainly isn't because they are completing passes to those TEs! :rofl2:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-06-2017, 01:10 PM

Anybody notice that stat says 1RB, 2TE and 3WR?? Add a QB and 5 O linemen and that is 12 players. :doh:

polamalubeast
11-06-2017, 02:52 PM
Anybody notice that stat says 1RB, 2TE and 3WR?? Add a QB and 5 O linemen and that is 12 players. :doh:

I think he means, 2 TE, 2 WR and 1 RB.

Psycho Ward 86
11-06-2017, 03:52 PM

Man, that is really surprising. Vance hasnt panned out yet and James is just pedestrian.

Patriots? Last? How does that happen with a guy like Gronk out there

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-06-2017, 04:11 PM
I think he means, 2 TE, 2 WR and 1 RB.

I know. I was just wondering if other posters look at that and think.....AB, JuJu, Eli at WR with James and McDropnald at TE and #26 at RB was the formation. When it really isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, that is really surprising. Vance hasnt panned out yet and James is just pedestrian.

Yeah, 3 catches so far for McDonald. I guess there was a reason the Niners were happy to unload him.

43Hitman
11-06-2017, 04:17 PM
http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/Defensive-coaches-on-the-first-eight-games/51386fbb-dabe-4233-a37a-9fdd4de02ee9

Some good stuff in this video. I thought the comment about Sean Spence at very end was really interesting.

polamalubeast
11-10-2017, 08:40 AM