PDA

View Full Version : WR As A Need Being Viewed Much Differently In Hindsight

polamalubeast
10-28-2017, 11:38 AM
I wouldn’t quite put myself in the early spring camp that was vigorously against the idea of drafting a wide receiver early, even though I was pretty strong in my belief that outside linebacker and cornerback needed to come early. The Pittsburgh Steelers’ later acquisition of Joe Haden attests that they agreed.

But looking a couple of months into the regular season, I think almost everybody is reviewing the selection of JuJu Smith-Schuster—and the wide receiver position generally speaking—in a different light. I think it is fair to say that this was not as stable a group as many anticipated, including myself.

I was in the camp who thought that Sammie Coates was going to come back this year and look like the guy who was playing in the first five games of last season, or at least be close to it. I thought that Demarcus Ayers was doing to push Eli Rogers for playing time in the slot.

Once they drafted Smith-Schuster, I thought there was almost no chance that a free agent addition like Justin Hunter was going to even make the roster, at least provided that Martavis Bryant would be reinstated—of which he was already in the process by that point.

Antonio Brown on one side. Bryant on the other. Unstoppable duo, right? And that is before we even stick anybody in the slot, projecting major growth from both Rogers and Ayers in their second years of actual playing time.

And, wow, the team was so deep that rosterable players like Cobi Hamilton and Darrius Heyward-Bey would probably have to be on the outside looking in, because there is just too much talent ahead of them with guys like Coates and Ayers—and hey, Coates plays special teams, ya know.

Now, who do they have that they can rely upon, aside from Brown?

JuJu. And only JuJu.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/wr-need-viewed-much-differently-hindsight/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

DesertSteel
10-28-2017, 11:57 AM
I liked the pick from the beginning. I was never convinced on Bryant or Coates. But I am very disappointed in Eli. I thought the guy was poised for 65/800. Oh well. I just don’t want to see DHB as our #2 come playoff time.

- - - Updated - - -

As for JuJu, his production still falls far below a #2 but I think he can get there by year’s end.

polamalubeast
10-28-2017, 12:12 PM
As for JuJu, his production still falls far below a #2 but I think he can get there by year’s end.

In the last 4 games,JuJu has 12 catchs on 16 targets for 176 yards and 2 TD.

stillers4me
10-28-2017, 12:22 PM
Maybe Cutch can help out. :lol:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers' biggest needs entering 2017 NFL draft

By Curt Popejoy (http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/author/curt-popejoy/) April 25, 2017 11:30 am ET

Wide receiver

This could have easily been a quarterback or running back, but with so much uncertainty surrounding the reinstatement of Martavis Bryant and the injury concerns with Sammie Coates, this has to be at the top of the rankings.
http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/25/pittsburgh-steelers-team-needs-entering-the-2017-nfl-draft/2/

Mojouw
10-28-2017, 02:39 PM
Many people around here pointed out that after AB there were no reliable wideouts on the roster.

The response was Eli Rogers. So there is that...

pczach
10-28-2017, 03:29 PM
This is exactly why I was strongly against keeping DHB on the roster, and adding a better receiving threat.

Very few people wanted to hear about it.

When you are relying on receivers that aren't reliable as starters...you better have backups that can actually be effective receivers.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-28-2017, 03:42 PM
This is exactly why I was strongly against keeping DHB on the roster, and adding a better receiving threat.

When you are relying on receivers that aren't reliable as starters...you better have backups that can actually be effective receivers. I was also strongly against DHB being on the roster as well and made many post about it. Most posters said he is a special team Ace in defense for him.

- - - Updated - - -

PS I probably would have keep Coates over him.

Steeldude
10-28-2017, 06:50 PM
Draft a WR, but not in the first round. If Dupree doesn't work out they may need to draft another OLB in the first.

I doubt a QB will be available in the early rounds. If BR retires they should go after a good veteran QB. When are Smith's and Cousin's contracts up?

Safety, TE and ILB are also needs.

DesertSteel
10-28-2017, 07:23 PM
In the last 4 games,JuJu has 12 catchs on 16 targets for 176 yards and 2 TD.

Yeah... that's OK... but still an average of 3 catches for 44 yards a game. I'd love to see him have a breakout game Sunday night - his first 100 yard game.

Psycho Ward 86
10-28-2017, 07:32 PM
Yeah... that's OK... but still an average of 3 catches for 44 yards a game. I'd love to see him have a breakout game Sunday night - his first 100 yard game.

to be fair hes only been getting about half the offensive snaps or less. and thats not because he hasnt earned them, its because we've been banking on Martavis' return of production. Ben has had a QB rating of 127 when targeting Juju

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-28-2017, 07:47 PM

When you are relying on receivers that aren't reliable as starters...you better have backups that can actually be effective receivers.

I have been in agreement with this view for the past few seasons as well. I think you should have a #5 WR that can cover punts, but should be able to play WR and possibly be a young guy with upside. Its not like DHB is Steve Tasker.

st33lersguy
10-28-2017, 07:48 PM
With Le'Veon rolling, he's going to get a lot of touches as long as he stays healthy, and AB is going to take up some targets of his own, so that alone will limit Juju's targets. We shouldn't expect him to post big numbers for a 20 year-old rookie who will have limited targets, and so far the last few games, he's done good

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-28-2017, 07:52 PM

If that was his average for 16 games, it would be 48 receptions for 704 receiving yards and would be around what Kenny Stills had last year. Not bad for a 21 year old rookie, but as stated he hasn't been getting a lot of reps right from game 1. JuJu is the future #2 WR and the future might come before the season is over. IMO, he was a solid draft pick.

teegre
10-28-2017, 09:52 PM
receptions - yards

16 - 269
15 - 246
17 - 231
11 - 208
16 - 167

Without looking, can you match the receptions & yards to the following Steelers receivers (during their rookie seasons): John Stallworth, Hines Ward, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Lynn Swann, AB

NOTE: JuJu has only played in 7 games, as opposed to 16 (or, 14).

DesertSteel
10-28-2017, 10:32 PM
receptions - yards

16 - 269
15 - 246
17 - 231
11 - 208
16 - 167

Without looking, can you match the receptions & yards to the following Steelers receivers (during their rookie seasons): John Stallworth, Hines Ward, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Lynn Swann, AB

NOTE: JuJu has only played in 7 games, as opposed to 16 (or, 14).
Well played!! :)