PDA

View Full Version : Martavis Bryant if you were GM

RunNGun
10-24-2017, 05:40 PM
I understand they're saying MB is not on the block. I'll take their word for it, but also understand they could be disguising a move as well. On the contrary, if he refused to play another down for Pittsburgh, how would you play it?

I would prefer to trade him for a 3rd rd. Draft pick. His potential has proven his worth. However, with his baggage, no team will bite. I would try my odds with the Giants. Offer them MB and Sensabaugh for their 4th rd. Pick. It may seem a bit steep, but I don't believe there is another team as desperate at WR, while still in playoff talk, than the Giants. IMO, they would be a solid candidate to give up a 4th rd. Pick.

Mojouw
10-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Staple him to the bench. Eat his cap $$ and see how long he takes to change his mind. If he continues to be a problem, suspend him for "conduct detrimental".

Players aren't going to piss and moan their way out of town on my watch.

If he changes his attitude, work with his position coach to develop clear practice and performance benchmarks for him to earn his way back to playing time. If needs be, sit him down with higher ups and discuss his path to a bigger role and bigger payday.

If at the end of his current contract he is still a problem-child, then send him on his way and let him be someone elses problem.

steelreserve
10-24-2017, 05:50 PM
Deactivate him until he wises up. Eventually he will realize that the only way he's going to get an opportunity anywhere else is to shut up and make plays here.

What exactly the market is for an angry wide receiver who has missed 2.5 out of the past 3 seasons for stupid behavior and produced a grand total of 200 yards while doing that, I don't know. But that's what Bryant would be at the end of 2018, so he could go ahead and find out if he doesn't want to play for Pittsburgh.

I would not trade him - chances are too great he would end up on the roster of one of our opponents. Of course, for the right price (like a 2nd-round pick or a decent player) anything is possible, but I don't think we'll get that. In the meantime, it costs us next to nothing to wait and see, and we "might* get more back in terms of on-field performance than a shitty draft pick.

tl;dr version - play it like a lottery ticket and whatever bullshit he thinks be damned.

RunNGun
10-24-2017, 07:07 PM
I can respect both of those answers. I guess I would choose to trade him because of his locker room presence. If you don't want to be here then we don't want you here would be my philosophy. He hasn't proven enough which is why I wouldn't hesitate taking a 3rd or 4th rd. Pick.

I definitely see your points though. The potential for MB is elite, so it would be tough parting ways with him, but we've only seen glimpses of that potential.

Shoes
10-24-2017, 07:30 PM
Lock him up in a 6x6 room with James Harrison.

ALLD
10-24-2017, 07:54 PM
I can see why the NFL took its time to reinstate him. There is something wrong when I must side with them. MB thinks if he changes teams like my first wife all his problems will magically disappear. In fact he will carry the baggage with him to the next team. The problem is him and there is no better long-term solution than the Steelers. They have gone above and beyond.

MB needs to admit he has a problem and is a knucklehead. He will never be a #1 WR until he changes his attitude. Right now he is far away from that.

pczach
10-24-2017, 08:08 PM
I think the entire problem is that Bryant is a potential 1st round talent that has toked, underperformed, and talked his value way down to other teams.

If Bryant was clean, hadn't been suspended, and was playing at the level he was early in his career and making big plays, you would probably be able to get a 2nd round pick for him, maybe more with the right dance partner.

Unfortunately, he has driven his own value down so much with his asinine behavior that it is hard to imagine any team that would be willing to give up much of anything for him. He's one casual doobie away from being out of football, and he is starting to look like a locker room cancer that talks too much and balls way too little.

I think there is also the iceberg effect going on here. This is all now public, but there must have been other things going on out of the public eye before this erupted into a national story. I was commenting on AB causing a lot of shit in the locker room with his attitude and some of his antics. The reason I thought it was worse is because of the performance of the team and many of the comments made by Tomlin and several players. You could see there was a lot more going on under the surface, but it looks like Bryant has been a huge portion of the problems with this team.

If the team is winning and a player is bitching about his personal stats, that is a recipe for a locker room disaster and destroying team chemistry.

I would keep him because he's playing at a very cheap salary. If a team offers you the moon in draft picks for him....you have to consider taking it. If a team is willing to trade a position player with a similar salary cap number that can help the team, I would also have to consider that.

But if you can't get any significant value for him.....he sits on the bench. He plays in spot duty. He plays special teams. And he better hustle his ass off, because if he doesn't, I'd keep him as an inactive player. If he loses his mind and it becomes a circus...as Mojouw said above, suspend him for conduct detrimental. Let's see how happy he is when he's not making any money and he is worthless to just about anybody in the NFL. The team owns his rights if he goes inactive because of the suspension, so I would keep him until I got the right deal for him, or until he straightened his shit out and started being a productive member of the team.

If by some miracle he starts to contribute and even starts to ball out like he did before the drug suspension, I would still look to move him in the offseason. Let him be someone else's problem while we draft another WR and a dynamic TE while adding another pick in next year's draft.

After we win the Super Bowl this year.........Bon voyage!

Shoes
10-24-2017, 09:03 PM
I think the entire problem is that Bryant is a potential 1st round talent that has toked, underperformed, and talked his value way down to other teams.

If Bryant was clean, hadn't been suspended, and was playing at the level he was early in his career and making big plays, you would probably be able to get a 2nd round pick for him, maybe more with the right dance partner.

Unfortunately, he has driven his own value down so much with his asinine behavior that it is hard to imagine any team that would be willing to give up much of anything for him. He's one casual doobie away from being out of football, and he is starting to look like a locker room cancer that talks too much and balls way too little.

I think there is also the iceberg effect going on here. This is all now public, but there must have been other things going on out of the public eye before this erupted into a national story. I was commenting on AB causing a lot of shit in the locker room with his attitude and some of his antics. The reason I thought it was worse is because of the performance of the team and many of the comments made by Tomlin and several players. You could see there was a lot more going on under the surface, but it looks like Bryant has been a huge portion of the problems with this team.

If the team is winning and a player is bitching about his personal stats, that is a recipe for a locker room disaster and destroying team chemistry.

I would keep him because he's playing at a very cheap salary. If a team offers you the moon in draft picks for him....you have to consider taking it. If a team is willing to trade a position player with a similar salary cap number that can help the team, I would also have to consider that.

But if you can't get any significant value for him.....he sits on the bench. He plays in spot duty. He plays special teams. And he better hustle his ass off, because if he doesn't, I'd keep him as an inactive player. If he loses his mind and it becomes a circus...as Mojouw said above, suspend him for conduct detrimental. Let's see how happy he is when he's not making any money and he is worthless to just about anybody in the NFL. The team owns his rights if he goes inactive because of the suspension, so I would keep him until I got the right deal for him, or until he straightened his shit out and started being a productive member of the team.

If by some miracle he starts to contribute and even starts to ball out like he did before the drug suspension, I would still look to move him in the offseason. Let him be someone else's problem while we draft another WR and a dynamic TE while adding another pick in next year's draft.

After we win the Super Bowl this year.........Bon voyage!

Thank you! :chuckle:

st33lersguy
10-24-2017, 09:19 PM
I can see why the NFL took its time to reinstate him. There is something wrong when I must side with them. MB thinks if he changes teams like my first wife all his problems will magically disappear. In fact he will carry the baggage with him to the next team. The problem is him and there is no better long-term solution than the Steelers. They have gone above and beyond.

MB needs to admit he has a problem and is a knucklehead. He will never be a #1 WR until he changes his attitude. Right now he is far away from that.

Yep. Not to mention, put him on a team with a shitty QB, and he will be complaining about THAT and want to trade to a team with a GOOD QB

ALLD
10-24-2017, 09:35 PM
MB is having difficulty processing reality because he has been so toked out for so long. It's a lot more work to be an honest team player, but these guys are getting well compensated. He needs to grow up fast before he pisses millions of $ away. He is acting like a baby.

Keep in mind he scored only 12 TDs, but in his mind he is trying to cash checks based on unrealized potential which may or may not ever come to fruition. Have a discussion that he could be very useful in the playoffs and to be patient. If he does not respond well to that send him to Cleveland for their 2nd round pick.

DesertSteel
10-24-2017, 09:41 PM
I understand they're saying MB is not on the block. I'll take their word for it, but also understand they could be disguising a move as well. On the contrary, if he refused to play another down for Pittsburgh, how would you play it?

I would prefer to trade him for a 3rd rd. Draft pick. His potential has proven his worth. However, with his baggage, no team will bite. I would try my odds with the Giants. Offer them MB and Sensabaugh for their 4th rd. Pick. It may seem a bit steep, but I don't believe there is another team as desperate at WR, while still in playoff talk, than the Giants. IMO, they would be a solid candidate to give up a 4th rd. Pick.The idea that he could garner a 3rd is far off IMO. He might get a 5th if we gave up MB and a 7th. That's how trades in the NFL work. This aint the NBA.

As for how I'd handle it... I'd suspend him for detrimental and forbid him from the facilities. This is if he refused to play. I would then revisit in the offseason, weighing all my options.

cubanstogie
10-24-2017, 09:45 PM
A bunch of really good posts mentioned keep him he is cheap, not costing much see how it plays out. At first I kind of see it but then think, who really cares how much he is making when his attitude sucks this bad and can become a cancer. We are not paying him, Tomlin not paying him. Rooneys I could see with this gripe they are cutting the checks. With that said I don't know how the Steelers are doing salary cap wise either. But what would be the magic amount he makes where it would take you to say screw it. 2 million a year, 5 million. If this turns around to be a feel good story and the guy lights it up and remains a productive Steeler that would be great, but Ive rarely pretty much never have seen a story like this turn out the way we want it. I personally wouldn't mind seeing Steelers make a statement and get rid of him, I want to see them get back to a class organization.

st33lersguy
10-24-2017, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't want to trade Bryant without a level of compensation that teams just won't want to offer

Shoes
10-24-2017, 10:17 PM
If we lose a WR or two to injury by the end of the season, we'll all be thankful that Rooney/Colbert/Tomlin didn't trade Bryant. Let him play out his contract and see how things are at that time. It will be interesting to see what Tomlin does.

Pretty bad when Deion Sanders isn't for you.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/21st-and-prime/0ap3000000866889/Deion-Sanders-Martavis-Bryant-is-an-expendable-asset

RunNGun
10-25-2017, 06:36 AM
The idea that he could garner a 3rd is far off IMO. He might get a 5th if we gave up MB and a 7th. That's how trades in the NFL work. This aint the NBA.

As for how I'd handle it... I'd suspend him for detrimental and forbid him from the facilities. This is if he refused to play. I would then revisit in the offseason, weighing all my options.

Notice I said I'd prefer a 3rd pick, while also stating no team would bite on that. You're probably right though. A 5th rounder may be all any team is willing to give up for MB, but I don't think a 4th rder is too far fetched.

AtlantaDan
10-25-2017, 07:51 AM
Trade options for Bryant are limited further, certainly for this season, by not trading him to any AFC team the Steelers might see in the playoffs where Bryant could burn them. Since the trade deadline is next Wednesday that covers a lot of teams who still have a shot at the playoffs - those AFC teams are the ones with the greatest incentive to take on Bryant with his baggage in the hope he helps get you to the playoffs and do something once you get there.

So his trade market in the next week is limited primarily to NFC teams - cut the # of potential buyers and you cut the # of potential offers.

I cannot see how Tomlin would do a 180 degree turn on what he said yesterday and trade Bryant in the next week unless some NFC GM stole Bryant's stash and makes an idiotic offer.

Born2Steel
10-25-2017, 08:40 AM
A trade for picks(currency) is always on the table. I would not trade any player just because he requested a trade. If my locker room is that fragile, it's just a matter of time anyway. If a team makes a good enough offer, trade away. Until that happens, MB is a Steeler and will do his job, or sit for the rest of his contract. It's the team and the guys that want to win this SB that my attention is on.

RunNGun
10-25-2017, 08:56 AM
A trade for picks(currency) is always on the table. I would not trade any player just because he requested a trade. If my locker room is that fragile, it's just a matter of time anyway. If a team makes a good enough offer, trade away. Until that happens, MB is a Steeler and will do his job, or sit for the rest of his contract. It's the team and the guys that want to win this SB that my attention is on.

I see where you're coming from, but if he wants out and/or refuses to play then why keep the dead weight, even if you're deactivating him or making him ride the pine? He's not helping the team if he isn't playing. I would gladly accept any offer of draft picks to potentially get another asset. I really believe we could get a 4th rd. Pick for him, but if he has played his last down for Pittsburgh, then I'd take any offer of draft picks I could get to dump him.

BlackAndGold
10-25-2017, 09:03 AM
Meh, I guess I'd keep him since there is no trade value for him, but he's gone in the off season no doubt.

AtlantaDan
10-25-2017, 09:04 AM
I see where you're coming from, but if he wants out and/or refuses to play then why keep the dead weight, even if you're deactivating him or making him ride the pine? He's not helping the team if he isn't playing. I would gladly accept any offer of draft picks to potentially get another asset. I really believe we could get a 4th rd. Pick for him, but if he has played his last down for Pittsburgh, then I'd take any offer of draft picks I could get to dump him.

"Any" offer including one that comes before the trade deadline from the Ravens, Bengals, Chiefs or Patriots?

RunNGun
10-25-2017, 09:10 AM
"Any" offer including one that comes before the trade deadline from the Ravens, Bengals, Chiefs or Patriots?

Potential AFC playoff opponents would be eliminated, but there's some NFC teams who are hurting at WR that I'd have no issue with getting their 4th-7th rd. pick. Of course, you take the best offer, but if a 7th is all that's on the table then I'd take it.

Born2Steel
10-25-2017, 09:25 AM

We all have a different idea of what a 'good enough' trade would be. To my way of thinking, MB was drafted 4th round in '14, I don't remember him doing anything spectacular his rookie season. Had a sort of breakout year in '15, then sat out due to suspension the '16 season. So far in '17 he has done nothing to improve his value. How much is he worth for what he has done up to today? I wouldn't trade FOR him, but I'm not letting him go for nothing either.
From another POV, take the Golson situation. Potential to be better than Hilton, since he was drafted in the 3rd and Hilton was UDFA. Yet 3 years later, Golson has zero value on the market. Bryant has potential to be Burress. But 3 years later, his value is somewhere around UDFA. I don't think we get anything for him. If we let him just walk, another team would take a chance on him, sure. I just don't see any team giving ANY draft pick for him today.

86WARD
10-25-2017, 09:37 AM
You’d be lucky to get a 7th round pick for him at this stage.

I’d give him this week and see what happens (if all the stories we are reading are indeed true).

If he breaks down again and the antics continue, I suspend him indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team. If he wants to comeback and participate as a team member after the suspension, he’s comes back, dresses. Sees spot duty and we take it from there. If he’s part of the team great. If not, suspend a second time him or bench him. I would NOT outright release him. You could probably get something better in the off season than you can now.

AtlantaDan
10-25-2017, 09:45 AM
You’d be lucky to get a 7th round pick for him at this stage.

I’d give him this week and see what happens (if all the stories we are reading are indeed true).

If he breaks down again and the antics continue, I suspend him indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team. .

I recall they are limited under the CBA to suspending him for 4 games for acting out based on what was discussed in the thread when Timmons went AWOL on the Dolphins - of course they could make him practice (if he blew that off I suppose that would be grounds for a new suspension) and just not give him a helmet on gameday while paying him after that

tube517
10-25-2017, 09:53 AM
I recall they are limited under the CBA to suspending him for 4 games for acting out based on what was discussed in the thread when Timmons went AWOL on the Dolphins - of course they could make him practice (if he blew that off I suppose that would be grounds for a new suspension) and just not give him a helmet on gameday while paying him after that

Like what Philly did to T.O., maybe. (If it gets worse).

Suspend 4 games...deactivate the rest of the season.

Hopefully Juju gets out of concussion protocol and he found his bike. Deactviate Bryant for the Detroit game.

DesertSteel
10-25-2017, 10:08 AM
Like what Philly did to T.O., maybe. (If it gets worse).

Suspend 4 games...deactivate the rest of the season.

Gruden and Keyshawn is another example that comes to mind.

tube517
10-25-2017, 10:20 AM
Gruden and Keyshawn is another example that comes to mind.

Forgot about Keyshawn. He didn't do pushups in the driveway/circus show. :chuckle:

DesertSteel
10-25-2017, 11:02 AM
Forgot about Keyshawn. He didn't do pushups in the driveway/circus show. :chuckle:
Neither has Bryant........... yet

steelreserve
10-25-2017, 11:39 AM
Neither has Bryant........... yet

Waiting for him to start doing bong reps in the driveway ...

DesertSteel
10-25-2017, 11:56 AM
Waiting for him to start doing bong reps in the driveway ...
I'm sure that the league has him dialed up on the "random" schedule.

SteelMayhem72
10-25-2017, 03:07 PM
Hes just been demoted to scout team

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Mojouw
10-25-2017, 03:33 PM
We now have a decent comp for Bryant's return on the trade market

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6840/dontrelle-inman

So a conditional 7th rounder. For me, no way I trade the potential of a Martavis Bryant for a conditional 7th round pick.

I can find back-up linemen almost anywhere. I'm not certain I can find the physical tools that Bryant has just anywhere.

But then I am an admitted sucker for big fast WRs with suspect hands :) -- Sweed, Wallace, Bryant, Hunter, Dorial Green-Beckham, the list of Mojouw's "diamond in the rough" WRs is long and relatively undistinguished!

43Hitman
10-25-2017, 03:38 PM

So a conditional 7th rounder. For me, no way I trade the potential of a Martavis Bryant for a conditional 7th round pick.

I can find back-up linemen almost anywhere. I'm not certain I can find the physical tools that Bryant has just anywhere.

But then I am an admitted sucker for big fast WRs with suspect hands :) -- Sweed, Wallace, Bryant, Hunter, Dorial Green-Beckham, the list of Mojouw's "diamond in the rough" WRs is long and relatively undistinguished!
I'll admit it, I had a man-crush on Sweed. I have since cooled my jets, lol. I will support Bryant, even though I think he is dense and being manipulated by his agent via his woman, and hope for the best.

RunNGun
10-25-2017, 04:31 PM
Now that he's officially deactivated...would you dump him while you can or put him on the shelf?

steelreserve
10-25-2017, 04:35 PM
Now that he's officially deactivated...would you dump him while you can or put him on the shelf?

Why? We can dump him whenever we want; all we have to do is release him. We would get so little by trading him that it might as well be nothing - so same result. On the other hand, it costs us nothing to wait and see, and the potential payoff is much higher.

AtlantaDan
10-25-2017, 04:36 PM

If he shuts down the stupid comments (+ getting his girlfriend and agent to go silent) while not acting out after the bye, give him some reps against the Colts coming off the bench

DesertSteel
10-25-2017, 04:37 PM
You hope that after a week in the doghouse that he rights the ship. If not, you sit him for the season but no way do you make him available to teams like Patriots or Chiefs.

RunNGun
10-25-2017, 04:45 PM

So you think they can change his attitude? Imo, they can't. If he's not on the active roster and doesn't want to be here then get him out and get what you can out of him, instead of releasing him.

- - - Updated - - -

Bryant is 4 years younger than Inman and has capability of being a top deep threat. Imo, his value is a little more than Inman's.

43Hitman
10-25-2017, 04:59 PM
So you think they can change his attitude? Imo, they can't. If he's not on the active roster and doesn't want to be here then get him out and get what you can out of him, instead of releasing him.
This is short sighted logic, and I don't mean to sound condescending, I just think he is too valuable to us. He is valuable to us because of what we have invested in him, and his potential. This guy is highly talented as you know, but it puts us at a strategic disadvantage to release him. We are paying him pennies on the dollar compared to his talent level and all the other 31 teams are praying we release him. I think we keep him this season no matter what, if for nothing else than depth.

Mojouw
10-25-2017, 05:13 PM
Bryant is 4 years younger than Inman and has capability of being a top deep threat. Imo, his value is a little more than Inman's.

While he is younger, Inman averaged 13.7 ypc so he definitely can get down the field.

Middle of the season, no recent track record of production, attitude problems, repeat offender in the drug program, and a blossoming case of "me-itis"? The would be lucky to match what the Chargers got for Inman.

Psycho Ward 86
10-25-2017, 06:58 PM
Any trading/suspension of Martavis Bryant comes with the caveat that we are officially surrendering any shot at the record breaking offense we were supposed to be. We averaged a full touchdown with Bryant vs. without him. I think that gets forgotten easily. Juju is awesome but if were being realistic this offense is going to be pretty pedestrian if he effectively becomes the starter. Down the road? He could make us all forget about Martavis but thats not happening this season.

Born2Steel
10-25-2017, 07:36 PM
If....JuJu is in protocol, MB needs to be on the field this week. There's his opportunity to get targets. If not, we might see a 2 RB backfield for the first time in....I don't know how long. Hunter and DHB can stretch the field as well as MB. I just wonder if either can catch the ball.

Hawkman
10-25-2017, 07:42 PM
If....JuJu is in protocol, MB needs to be on the field this week. There's his opportunity to get targets. If not, we might see a 2 RB backfield for the first time in....I don't know how long. Hunter and DHB can stretch the field as well as MB. I just wonder if either can catch the ball.

DHB caught a nice 44 yarder on a fake punt.:chuckle:

GBMelBlount
10-25-2017, 07:47 PM
If we lose a WR or two to injury by the end of the season, we'll all be thankful that Rooney/Colbert/Tomlin didn't trade Bryant. Let him play out his contract and see how things are at that time. It will be interesting to see what Tomlin does.

Pretty bad when Deion Sanders isn't for you.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/21st-and-prime/0ap3000000866889/Deion-Sanders-Martavis-Bryant-is-an-expendable-asset

Yes.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-25-2017, 07:54 PM
If....JuJu is in protocol, MB needs to be on the field this week. There's his opportunity to get targets. If not, we might see a 2 RB backfield for the first time in....I don't know how long. Hunter and DHB can stretch the field as well as MB. I just wonder if either can catch the ball. Like MB is so much better passer catcher then them. Add in McDonald and you got 4 if's to catch a ball.

Edman
10-25-2017, 07:57 PM
That #10 number is cursed I swear.

Even Santonio Holmes, the best #10, had his issues.

10-25-2017, 08:04 PM
That #10 number is cursed I swear.

Even Santonio Holmes, the best #10, had his issues. Yep the first cursed was a pipe smoker in the park and the other two after that weed smokers.

AtlantaDan
10-25-2017, 08:11 PM

MB is not regarded as indispensable

And if Bryant was not going to be disciplined this week it was not going to happen - showcasing Bryant because the guy he dissed could not play probably would be the last straw for any chance of future disciplining of him - the message would be do what you damn well please if we may need you, even if you are dissing not just coaching decisions but your own teammates

And consider the possibility some of the vets with clout wanted it to happen

Bryant in an interview this summer where the focus was about Bryant wanting his "man to man" conversation with Ben for saying Bryant lied to him

Ramon Foster and Pouncey. They were in communication with me all the time. Whatever I needed to get done, they were just supporting me. Just checking up on me, making sure I was good.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/23/martavis-bryant-grateful-for-the-support-of-foster-and-pouncey-during-suspension/

Bryant Sunday night

"I just want mines, period, point-blank. Ain't nobody did nothing to get me back. I worked my ass off to get myself back with no help and little support, period. In due time the process will show."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/martavis-bryant-reportedly-wants-out-of-pittsburgh-again-rips-juju-smith-schuster/

Think Foster might have been thinking about that when he made this comment

“I feel like last week we kind of pushed it aside and then you double down on it? Not cool from a teammate perspective.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/JuJu-Smith-Schuster-Pittsburgh-Steelers-react-to-Martavis-Bryant-109355325

Right now Bryant's relationship with his teammates that have tried to support him for the past few years is like what was said of arrogant broadcaster Keith Olberman when he left ESPN - "He didn't burn bridges here, he napalmed them."

Tomlin could not let that slide no matter how much Bryant might be able to help Sunday night

teegre
10-25-2017, 08:16 PM
Tomlin could not let that slide no matter how much Bryant might be able to help Sunday night

100% correct.

Tomlin might lose the battle (game), but he’ll win the war (championship).

Shoes
10-25-2017, 08:26 PM
100% correct.

Tomlin might lose the battle (game), but he’ll win the war (championship).

Agreed, he has bigger fish to fry! :chuckle:

10-25-2017, 08:44 PM
100% correct.

Tomlin might lose the battle (game), but he’ll win the war (championship). That and you may see someone like Hunter with similar talent more then happy to take advantage of his opportunity!

43Hitman
10-26-2017, 04:29 AM
Hunter won't do shit. He's had his opportunity's for five years and he hasn't done shit. Wishful thinking.

10-26-2017, 04:35 AM
Hunter won't do shit. He's had his opportunity's for five years and he hasn't done shit. Wishful thinking. Wishful thinking your boy MB is going to come back and set the league on fire and shut his mouth. Now that's wishful thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlackAndGold
10-26-2017, 06:17 AM
Wishful thinking your boy MB is going to come back and set the league on fire and shut his mouth. Now that's wishful thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would say that it more likely to happen since Bryant has once proved he can be a legit NFL wide reciever.

Imo, Ben and MB are going to start connecting by season end(they've been close).

Just wished MB kept his mouth shut, he has played 7 games after missing a year and a half of professional football. Can't just snap your fingers and be back to your old self. Tomlin said in his press conference that MB was having great practices and those usually mean he's close.

teegre
10-26-2017, 06:17 AM
That and you may see someone like Hunter with similar talent more then happy to take advantage of his opportunity!

I mean that since Tomlin is laying down the law (by demoting Bryant to 4th string), the next person who might think about complaining... won’t.

Likewise, and more to the “championship” reference, as Shoes stated: Tomlin has bigger fish to fry (than dealing with a crybaby). Tomlin sent the clear message that the Steelers will be moving forward, with or without Bryant, with one goal in mind: championship.

Furthermore, from the comments from Ramon Foster, this move is not only condoned by the rest of the team, it was wanted. Talk about galvanizing a lockerroom.

As far as Hunter goes, (as I’ve stated in every other MB thread): BB, AB, Bell, and the O-line make 8/11 of the offensive starters. JuJu is 9. Nix or McDonald is/are 10. And, Rogers is 11. Due to a stacked roster, Hunter and/or DHB might not even see more playing time.

BlackAndGold
10-26-2017, 06:24 AM
As far as Hunter goes, (as I’ve stated in every other MB thread): BB, AB, Bell, and the O-line make 8/11 of the offensive starters. JuJu is 9. Nix or McDonald is/are 10. And, Rogers is 11. Due to a stacked roster, Hunter and/or DHB might not even see more playing time.

McDonald is about to start seeing a lot of PT, he's basically the starter now.

Besides his awful drop for a TD, he was making an impact in the passing game. By catching, or by being a receiving threat.

teegre
10-26-2017, 06:33 AM
McDonald is about to start seeing a lot of PT, he's basically the starter now.

Besides his awful drop for a TD, he was making an impact in the passing game. By catching, or by being a receiving threat.

Bingo!!!

As I stated elsewhere, even if McDonald drops 20% of his targets, he takes a LB with him out into coverage... opening up other things for AB & Bell.

86WARD
10-26-2017, 08:05 AM
Any trading/suspension of Martavis Bryant comes with the caveat that we are officially surrendering any shot at the record breaking offense we were supposed to be. We averaged a full touchdown with Bryant vs. without him. I think that gets forgotten easily. Juju is awesome but if were being realistic this offense is going to be pretty pedestrian if he effectively becomes the starter. Down the road? He could make us all forget about Martavis but thats not happening this season.

Bryant has been there this year. Where’s that extra touchdown?

Born2Steel
10-26-2017, 08:51 AM
MB is not regarded as indispensable

And if Bryant was not going to be disciplined this week it was not going to happen - showcasing Bryant because the guy he dissed could not play probably would be the last straw for any chance of future disciplining of him - the message would be do what you damn well please if we may need you, even if you are dissing not just coaching decisions but your own teammates

And consider the possibility some of the vets with clout wanted it to happen

Bryant in an interview this summer where the focus was about Bryant wanting his "man to man" conversation with Ben for saying Bryant lied to him

Ramon Foster and Pouncey. They were in communication with me all the time. Whatever I needed to get done, they were just supporting me. Just checking up on me, making sure I was good.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/23/martavis-bryant-grateful-for-the-support-of-foster-and-pouncey-during-suspension/

Bryant Sunday night

"I just want mines, period, point-blank. Ain't nobody did nothing to get me back. I worked my ass off to get myself back with no help and little support, period. In due time the process will show."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/martavis-bryant-reportedly-wants-out-of-pittsburgh-again-rips-juju-smith-schuster/

Think Foster might have been thinking about that when he made this comment

“I feel like last week we kind of pushed it aside and then you double down on it? Not cool from a teammate perspective.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/JuJu-Smith-Schuster-Pittsburgh-Steelers-react-to-Martavis-Bryant-109355325

Right now Bryant's relationship with his teammates that have tried to support him for the past few years is like what was said of arrogant broadcaster Keith Olberman when he left ESPN - "He didn't burn bridges here, he napalmed them."

I'm in agreement with the benching. I was meaning from MB's POV. He wanted more targets, but then turns on his team mate right before that team mate gets put into protocol. That was MB's chance to get those targets, and HE blew that chance.

AtlantaDan
10-26-2017, 09:05 AM
I'm in agreement with the benching. I was meaning from MB's POV. He wanted more targets, but then turns on his team mate right before that team mate gets put into protocol. That was MB's chance to get those targets, and HE blew that chance.

Got it :drink:

Of course that would require Bryant's view to include having the self-awareness to consider what is going on with his teammates. I have given up trying to figure out Bryant's thought processes that get him to deciding his actions are helpful to his career goals - but the Steelers may have a hypothesis.

This from Albert Breer at SI/MMQB

There’s certainly speculation inside the organization that this is all the result of Bryant getting bad advice from the people around him.... nothing about this makes any sense at all for Bryant.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/26/week-8-minnesota-vikings-mike-zimmer-quarterbacks-sam-bradford-case-keenum-teddy-bridgewater

AtlantaDan
10-26-2017, 09:40 AM
I'm sure that the league has him dialed up on the "random" schedule.

As a player in Stage Three of the Intervention Program, Bryant is subject to frequent testing - nothing random about him being subject to testing for the rest of his career. I would bet one of those social calls was made in the past 72 hours.

All Players in Stage Three will be subject to unannounced testing subject to the terms of this Policy. At the sole discretion of the Medical Advisor, a Player may or may not be tested; however, if he is tested, he may not be tested more than ten (10) times during any calendar month....

If a Player is reinstated, he will be returned to Stage Three for the remainder of his NFL career pursuant to (d) above and subject to continued testing and indefinite banishment.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Agents/2016SOAPolicy_v2.pdf (at pp. 17 -18)

Being required to pee into a cup 10 times a month puts a crimp in any attempt to use pot and not get caught if you are being tested every 3-4 days.

tube517
10-26-2017, 09:55 AM
http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2017/09/martavis_bryant_steelers.html

Good article from back in September. Details about his offseason and who kept in touch.

Seems he was really close to Markus Wheaton as well as Foster and Pouncey.

DesertSteel
10-26-2017, 10:45 AM
As a player in Stage Three of the Intervention Program, Bryant is subject to frequent testing - nothing random about him being subject to testing for the rest of his career. I would bet one of those social calls was made in the past 72 hours.

All Players in Stage Three will be subject to unannounced testing subject to the terms of this Policy. At the sole discretion of the Medical Advisor, a Player may or may not be tested; however, if he is tested, he may not be tested more than ten (10) times during any calendar month....

If a Player is reinstated, he will be returned to Stage Three for the remainder of his NFL career pursuant to (d) above and subject to continued testing and indefinite banishment.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Agents/2016SOAPolicy_v2.pdf (at pp. 17 -18)

Being required to pee into a cup 10 times a month puts a crimp in any attempt to use pot and not get caught if you are being tested every 3-4 days.I figured as much, without knowing the details. As straightforward as it is, I predict he'll fail one long before he is ever traded or hits free agency.

Moose
10-26-2017, 10:56 AM
As I've said before, because of his 'mind/brain' issue put him on IR list. That way if something happens and he is needed we can pull him back. If he grows up and keeps clean and decides to be a Steeler he's home....if not and we can get someone worthwhile then cya'. We can 'use' him, but it's not like we 'need' him, he's like damaged baggage.

Born2Steel
10-26-2017, 11:36 AM
Draft Anthony Miller 2nd round 2018 draft.

pczach
10-26-2017, 09:44 PM
Draft Anthony Miller 2nd round 2018 draft.

I love Anthony Miller. That guy reminds me of AB at times when you watch him play. Memphis is fun to watch.

We'll have to see how fast he is at the combine, but on the field I love how competitive he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bff_t4Fzv_g