PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Says Roosevelt Nix Is An Elite And Valuable Asset To Steelers

polamalubeast
10-24-2017, 01:09 PM
Fullbacks have gone the way of the dodo. Extinct. Just don’t tell that to the Pittsburgh Steelers. They’ve flipped the script and are using a fullback more than they have in years. In Sunday’s win over the Bengals, Roosevelt Nix played a season-high 22 snaps, each one seemingly more effective than the last. Mike Tomlin was asked about Nix’s use and success and offered a glowing report.

“I know he’s elite and important for us,” Tomlin said Tuesday. “He’s an important component for us…I’ve been pleased with his contributions here. I can compare his contributions to other fullbacks we’ve had here in recent years. And it’s impressive. He’s an asset to us.”

Nix helped pave the way as the Steelers ran the ball for over 140 yards in the win over the Cincinnati. Playing angry after getting kicked in the face by Vontaze Burfict, he wore down the Bengals’ defense so much that by the fourth quarter, they weren’t nearly as aggressive or physical.

Le’Veon Bell complimented Nix for his performance.

“Every time he had an opportunity to go ISO with 55 [Burfict], he did what he did. He had a great game and that’s why he’s the best fullback in the world,” Bell said after the game.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/tomlin-says-roosevelt-nix-elite-valuable-asset-steelers/

steelreserve
10-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Just like the traditional nose tackle, people say the fullback is "going extinct" - but the offense has a distinct advantage in that they are the ones dictating whether anyone can substitute and whether it's a run or pass play, so you can get a fullback in there when you know it actually makes sense to have one.

It helps when the fullback is actually good at what he does and has some versatility. We had some really useless players in that spot over the past decade, along with a lot of H-back tweener bullshit which was code for "guys who have three roles but can't do any of them particularly well."

Nix is a better blocker than most of the tight ends, and probably equivalent in a pass-catching role. So I think he may be the answer to the "James can't block" problem - which is why we're seeing more of him and McDonald, and a lot less of James lately. And no coincidence that the offense and the running game in particular are improving since.

teegre
10-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Crash's brain just exploded.

tube517
10-24-2017, 02:02 PM

hawaiiansteeler
10-24-2017, 02:08 PM
Crash is an unqualified nutjob

tube517
10-24-2017, 02:21 PM
Crash is an unqualified nutjob

Comic relief

86WARD
10-24-2017, 02:34 PM
He may have been the biggest idiot in message board history.

ALLD
10-24-2017, 02:43 PM
I was lobbying for more Nix during the game day thread, then he showed up to clear a path. He also makes plays on STs.

SteelMember
10-24-2017, 02:55 PM
He may not be as good as "The Bus Driver" Tim Lester, but he seems to be doing the job with the right attitude.

BlackAndGold
10-24-2017, 03:11 PM
Nix isn't just a great FB, his special teams play is A+.

Not sure why they kept him off the field during 3 and 1 situations this past Sunday.

polamalubeast
10-24-2017, 03:15 PM
He may have been the biggest idiot in message board history.

The team that used the most the crashformation last year (3 WR, 1 TE and 1 RB)it was the giants and their offense was atrocious.

pczach
10-24-2017, 04:36 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/FQtNQFY1q63K/giphy.gif

Steelermania
10-25-2017, 09:12 AM
Wonder what The Bruce would think about this?