PDA

View Full Version : Burns vs. Jackson

GBMelBlount
10-23-2017, 05:59 PM
I was initially disappointed when we picked Burns in the first round last year.

I am curious how everyone feels about Burns now, especially compared to Jackson, who many (including myself) thought would be much better than Burns.

Method28
10-23-2017, 06:09 PM
Artie really has shown some good flashes. Has been much better than i imagined.....So ill just sit here and enjoy my big serving of crow lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Mojouw
10-23-2017, 06:17 PM
Jackson made some darned good plays yesterday. At least one against AB that wasn't a penalty. That is more than most can say.

While I really like Burns and think he will only get better -- I can see why many were so high on Jackson.

steelreserve
10-23-2017, 06:28 PM
The pick worked, I'll take it. Arguing over who might be better or worse is just splitting hairs.

Our CB situation is no longer a steaming pile of shit and that's what counts; I don't care who was the reason for it or where they were drafted or whether someone else might have been marginally better.

hawaiiansteeler
10-23-2017, 06:37 PM

I am curious how everyone feels about Burns now, especially compared to Jackson, who many (including myself) thought would be much better than Burns.

I believe the Steelers were going to select Jackson if the Bungals hadn't picked him right in front of us. but Burns has turned out to be a pretty good consolation prize and along with Haden who has been a huge upgrade over Cockring and signing Hilton as an UDFA we actually have some decent CBs now.

polamalubeast
10-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Glad that our secondary is no longer a weakness.Where are the Lake's haters?

GBMelBlount
10-23-2017, 06:48 PM
I believe the Steelers were going to select Jackson if the Bungals hadn't picked him right in front of us.

but Burns has turned out to be a pretty good consolation prize and along with Haden who has been a huge upgrade over Cockring and signing Hilton as an UDFA we actually have some decent CBs now.

Agreed! Between the draft and free agency, I feel as though we addressed most all of our major weaknesses.

If the injury gods smile upon us, I like our chances this year.

Steeldude
10-23-2017, 06:52 PM
Deliberately does not try to tackle. So that gives him an F in my book.

st33lersguy
10-23-2017, 07:00 PM
I'm happy with Burns so far

polamalubeast
10-23-2017, 07:03 PM

LOL

vasteeler
10-23-2017, 07:04 PM

No offense but it seems like everybody gets an F in your book

polamalubeast
10-23-2017, 07:06 PM

This

The only draft pick or signing he liked in the last few years is James Harrison.

Iron Steeler
10-23-2017, 07:06 PM

hahaha

ALLD
10-23-2017, 07:30 PM
Didn't hear he missed any big tackles or pass defenses this week. When you don't hear his name that's a good thing.

st33lersguy
10-23-2017, 07:54 PM

Burns has not only been a great improvement from some of the shitty CBs the Steelers have had recently, he has provided solid coverage and is definitely contributing to the success of the team's pass defense, and he gets an F because of one aspect of his game?

Mojouw
10-23-2017, 08:01 PM

So who would you rather play at the spot?

teegre
10-23-2017, 08:08 PM

In his defense, he was right about Watt.

Because, Watt is second to Khalil Mack in highest edge run stop percentage... and, second is the first loser. :jerkit:

hawaiiansteeler
10-23-2017, 08:21 PM

Because, Watt is second to Khalil Mack in highest edge run stop percentage... and, second is the first loser. :jerkit:

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/rickybobby.jpeg?quality=100&w=600

SteelMayhem72
10-23-2017, 08:25 PM
Burns will not tackle and looks like he tries to trip his own self up so he dont have to tackle...its on tape, coaches better do something about it

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

SteelMayhem72
10-23-2017, 08:26 PM
He is very good at coverage with only a couple mental lapses here and there...just needs to start tackling.

Mojouw
10-23-2017, 08:36 PM
Burns will not tackle and looks like he tries to trip his own self up so he dont have to tackle...its on tape, coaches better do something about it

That's on tape once that I can think of - or at least on tape that has been pointed out around here.

Most of the rest of the time Burns is either trying to tackle or wandering in the wilderness attempting to understand what his run support assignment is. However, when he eventually stumbles into that assignment, he usually tosses his body in there as a willing tackler.

teegre
10-23-2017, 08:39 PM
That's on tape once that I can think of - or at least on tape that has been pointed out around here.

Most of the rest of the time Burns is either trying to tackle or wandering in the wilderness attempting to understand what his run support assignment is. However, when he eventually stumbles into that assignment, he usually tosses his body in there as a willing tackler.

Last season, he had the most tackles in run support by any DB on the Steelers.

But, he did miss that “one” tackle. So... ARGH!!!

Mojouw
10-23-2017, 08:40 PM

You got it all wrong. You need to follow the format!

______________ is a lazy player. He was given a starting spot based on draft position and never worked to prove themselves. _________________ is lazy and not a hard worker. I wish he would get in the weight room and do what is needed to be successful in the NFL, but that is not happening. Once again the Steelers coaches go for the "splash" players rather than the guys who will work hard and get better. It is because __________ is most likely a spoiled entitled millennial and a liberal Democrat.

teegre
10-23-2017, 08:42 PM
You got it all wrong. You need to follow the format!

______________ is a lazy player. He was given a starting spot based on draft position and never worked to prove themselves. _________________ is lazy and not a hard worker. I wish he would get in the weight room and do what is needed to be successful in the NFL, but that is not happening. Once again the Steelers coaches go for the "splash" players rather than the guys who will work hard and get better. It is because __________ is most likely a spoiled entitled millennial and a liberal Democrat.

WINNER!!!

Hawkman
10-23-2017, 08:45 PM
Did everyone know that Will Gay has played in 187 straight games.......and he let me wear his Super Bowl ring.....for 30 seconds.

teegre
10-23-2017, 08:46 PM
Did everyone know that Will Gay has played in 187 straight games.......and he let me wear his Super Bowl ring.....for 30 seconds.

That’s Gay.

Psycho Ward 86
10-23-2017, 08:49 PM
i think that horrible run fill against the Bears is getting really overhighlighted. Burns really turned the corner in a big way last season after the Dolphins game and actually got pretty good against the run. I cant imagine this run defense regression is going to stick for such a young and raw player. He actually showed a lot of effort doing it last season and got pretty good. The body of work says that he'll get it together.

Davis had a weird little regression for the first 4 games of the season. He looks like he's really turned the corner the past 2 games. I hope Burns follows suit because the lions definitely have a pair of jitterburgs at RB that could give us some trouble

Hawkman
10-23-2017, 08:49 PM
That’s Gay.

You're not right!

Steeldude
10-23-2017, 08:54 PM
So who would you rather play at the spot?

A player who tries rather than deliberately refuses to tackle. I expect players to try and to give 100% effort for the roughly 11 minutes of actual playing time.

Born2Steel
10-23-2017, 08:58 PM
Tackles are counted. Give the stats on tackles for last season vs this season. Should be easy enough for you to look up.

tube517
10-23-2017, 08:59 PM

Nice.

Big Play Willie Gay has more career sacks than Jarvis Jones.

Steeldude
10-23-2017, 09:00 PM

Once is all it takes. I realize you are content with poor effort and deliberate lack of effort, but not everyone agrees. Burns gave up on a tackle attempt in the Jags' game also. But hey, that's ok because he is just a toddler. It's not like he is in his 20's.

Since you guys are still whining about Jones. Explain how he received the starting position each season.

Hawkman
10-23-2017, 09:05 PM
Nice.

Big Play Willie Gay has more career sacks than Jarvis Jones.

He thought about returning that Int for a td to tie or break a Steelers record, but I think someone said "get your ass on the ground "...... then he pops up and gets smacked anyway. Bungles needed about 70 more yards of penalties.

teegre
10-23-2017, 09:36 PM
I was 100% in the Artie Burns camp (and was secretly glad when WJIII was drafted before the Steelers could get him).

Currently, it looks like a coin flip, because as stated above WJIII played very well against AB. And, as discussed before that draft, WJII was/is the more ready to play NOW; whereas, Burns has the higher ceiling.

Mojouw
10-23-2017, 09:39 PM
Once is all it takes. I realize you are content with poor effort and deliberate lack of effort, but not everyone agrees. Burns gave up on a tackle attempt in the Jags' game also. But hey, that's ok because he is just a toddler. It's not like he is in his 20's.

Since you guys are still whining about Jones. Explain how he received the starting position each season.

If teams refused to start every player who didn't give maximum effort even once - then the league would have to fold up tomorrow.

Like you realize that complaining about the effort and commitment level of players is totally legitimate and should be welcomed, but you have to see that some of your statements are simply so extreme as to have no impact, right?

You literally just argued that any one who gives up on a single play ever and that is their only mistake should be barred from starting in the NFL. Like just think about that for a second.

st33lersguy
10-23-2017, 09:41 PM
We as a fanbase had to suffer through Antwon Burnt starting the entire year only two years ago, yet people want to trash Artie Burns as a player because he "refuses to tackle"

teegre
10-23-2017, 09:41 PM
If teams refused to start every player who didn't give maximum effort even once - then the league would have to fold up tomorrow.

Like you realize that complaining about the effort and commitment level of players is totally legitimate and should be welcomed, but you have to see that some of your statements are simply so extreme as to have no impact, right?

You literally just argued that no one who gives up on a single player ever and that is their only mistake should be barred from starting in the NFL. Like just think about that for a second.

Insert the James Harrison special teams story (from the last thread about this same topic).

:director: BENCH JAMES HARRISON FOR LIFE!!!

Mojouw
10-23-2017, 09:50 PM
This really has no place here, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. For all those who want to consign under-performing and struggling younger players to the bench, I have one question.

How are you going to make the cap work?

"Star" players - the ones that most teams seem to be building SB champions around - cost between 10-25 million per season. Lately teams have needed anywhere between 1-4 of those guys to get it done.

"Vet" players - those that can provide a solid and sometimes spectacular presence in your line-up - these guys usually get 4-7 million per year.

FA signings on second or third contracts - need a few of those to wall-paper over the cracks in a roster -- these guys cost 5-8 million per year at least.

The rest of a modern NFL roster is filled with vet minimum guys and players on rookie contracts. Read "cheap labor". At least 6 of these guys are going to be needed to start at any one time to make the overall cap structure work.

As a result, like it or not, draft picks have to be almost immediately elevated to the starting line-up. On field mistakes in effort, execution, and assignment integrity have to be tolerated. Because who the hell else are teams going to find to do the job for the small contract dollars players in the first 3-5 years of their rookie deals are doing it for?

This is the inescapable reality of modern salary-cap era football. No more "Seasoning" guys on the bench for 3 years. It just can't work from a cap dollars perspective.

SteelMayhem72
10-23-2017, 10:05 PM
No way in hell i would bench burns...just want him to be more aggressive tackling

Hawkman
10-23-2017, 10:10 PM
Wow, I leave for a few minutes.........all I was trying to do was keep people from Gay bashing.....(trying to work that in forever). Great picture of me, hanging out with Will Gay and Ike Taylor on a golf cart at the James Farrior Foundation outing, the summer after the Cardinals SB win. Great event for five years........Sorry, just reminiscing.

Devilsdancefloor
10-23-2017, 10:36 PM

actuall i will give him a D-, but that is a HUGE weakness he is no prime time, so he best start sticking a helmet in the run game

86WARD
10-24-2017, 06:54 AM
That’s Gay.

Yep...I see what you did there.

86WARD
10-24-2017, 06:55 AM

I heard that during the game. Was kinda shocked but then never really thought about it either. impressive.

Steeldude
10-24-2017, 08:29 AM

You literally just argued that any one who gives up on a single play ever and that is their only mistake should be barred from starting in the NFL. Like just think about that for a second.

How many players deliberately refuse to try? I'm not talking about a player who is badly injured or on the other side of the field. A RB is going toward and you decide to deliberately let him go by you without trying at all. Yep, call me whatever you want, but I have zero tolerance for pussies and lazy people on the field.

Impact? What are you referring to?

I certainly hope he tries if they reach the SB. But if he doesn't we could always just excuse him by saying other players have done the same too.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-24-2017, 09:55 AM
CB William Jackson (https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/william-jackson/10658), 92.3 overall gradeWhile there weren’t many highlights on the Bengal defense, William Jackson may have emerged as their top cornerback. Jackson was targeted six times, allowing only one reception for three yards (https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/elite/stats/cornerback/coverage) in 26 snaps in coverage. Furthermore, he was exceptional when covering Antonio Brown (https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/antonio-brown/5718). When in primary coverage against Brown, Jackson did not allow a catch on four targets and had three passes defensed. When Ben Roethlisberger (https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/ben-roethlisberger/1732) targeted Jackson in coverage, he only had a 39.6 passer rating

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-pittsburgh-steelers-29-cincinnati-bengals-14

Mojouw
10-24-2017, 10:16 AM
How many players deliberately refuse to try? I'm not talking about a player who is badly injured or on the other side of the field. A RB is going toward and you decide to deliberately let him go by you without trying at all. Yep, call me whatever you want, but I have zero tolerance for pussies and lazy people on the field.

Impact? What are you referring to?

I certainly hope he tries if they reach the SB. But if he doesn't we could always just excuse him by saying other players have done the same too.

If we were to break down the ALL 22 film from every game the Steelers played, I'm sure we could find instances of most of the roster not giving max effort on a play. We could argue all day about how to interpret that.

By "impact" I mean that if your posts are an attempt to engage others in conversation, move the thread discussion forward, and/or sway people to your line of thinking -- well most often the statements are so extreme and without being grounded in any context that few can be taken seriously. If, instead, your posts are meant to express your displeasure with the current attitudes of players, fans, and the NFL in general and have little to do with moving the conversation forward -- then by all means continue.

For instance, I will ask this again, if you extend your argument that Burns is a lazy pussy who has no place on Steeldude's Steelers roster - what do you do? Do you ever trade Cockrell or do you trade Burns instead? If you bench Burns, who do you start opposite Haden? If it is Hilton (a player I assume you really like), then who plays the slot? To me, these are incredibly interesting questions and easily thought through potential outcomes of a Burns benching.

However, for you, in thread after thread - you seem only interested in pointing out some equivalent of "everything sucks now and things used to be better back when". This type of argument is one of my pet peeves, because every generation ever has said some version of this and I am sure I will be saying too in a few short years. Doesn't mean it is true. That's why I always push back on your postings and perhaps I should stop because I'm likely being unreasonable.

But simply stopping by 50% of the threads to say "modern players are lazy, entitled, and not tough enough" isn't interesting and is largely irrelevant (except for bashing Bryant's recent idiocy -- go nuts there!) because it can't be changed. The only option teams would have would be to choose not to field a roster...or invent a time machine...

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-24-2017, 11:21 AM

Jackson is the better CB, but was picked before the Steelers had a chance, so its really a moot point.

Burns was the 5th CB taken and I thought he was a reach, as his college film showed a guy with bad technique, he peeked at the QB a lot to come off his coverage and try to get INT, his field drills at the NFL Combine showed stiff hip turn and change of direction...but he had speed, long arms and catches the ball well.

The Steelers have done a good job of playing coverages that suit his deficiencies. He often plays in bail technique, so doesn't backpedal to expose his lack of fluidity in hip turn. He gets some safety help so he can play underneath coverage in "bail and trail" technique. They play defense where he can defend the boundary and look in to drive on short passes, but not something where he has to cover short slants, which might leave him to get burned on a double move.

W Jackson was not an aggressive tackler in the run game and we know Burns isn't. The habit of wanting to peek into the backfield at the QB and cheat, resulted in a TD in Kansas City, which is really sloppy and selfish. I still think the Steelers reached at Burns, but reality is there wasn't another boundary CB prospect in round 2, so they got a starting CB with that pick and that is good. Just hope he continues to improve in coverage, assignments and at least falls down in front of a ballcarrier instead of playing matador.

hawaiiansteeler
10-25-2017, 12:10 AM
I still think the Steelers reached at Burns

okay, if you think the Steelers reached by selecting Artie Burns at 1(25) please tell us who you would have selected instead?

Steeldude
10-25-2017, 07:38 AM
If we were to break down the ALL 22 film from every game the Steelers played, I'm sure we could find instances of most of the roster not giving max effort on a play. We could argue all day about how to interpret that.

By "impact" I mean that if your posts are an attempt to engage others in conversation, move the thread discussion forward, and/or sway people to your line of thinking -- well most often the statements are so extreme and without being grounded in any context that few can be taken seriously. If, instead, your posts are meant to express your displeasure with the current attitudes of players, fans, and the NFL in general and have little to do with moving the conversation forward -- then by all means continue.

For instance, I will ask this again, if you extend your argument that Burns is a lazy pussy who has no place on Steeldude's Steelers roster - what do you do? Do you ever trade Cockrell or do you trade Burns instead? If you bench Burns, who do you start opposite Haden? If it is Hilton (a player I assume you really like), then who plays the slot? To me, these are incredibly interesting questions and easily thought through potential outcomes of a Burns benching.

However, for you, in thread after thread - you seem only interested in pointing out some equivalent of "everything sucks now and things used to be better back when". This type of argument is one of my pet peeves, because every generation ever has said some version of this and I am sure I will be saying too in a few short years. Doesn't mean it is true. That's why I always push back on your postings and perhaps I should stop because I'm likely being unreasonable.

But simply stopping by 50% of the threads to say "modern players are lazy, entitled, and not tough enough" isn't interesting and is largely irrelevant (except for bashing Bryant's recent idiocy -- go nuts there!) because it can't be changed. The only option teams would have would be to choose not to field a roster...or invent a time machine...

So it's ok to express a negative opinion of Bryant, but not Burns? Hmmm...

By "impact" I mean that if your posts are an attempt to engage others in conversation, move the thread discussion forward, and/or sway people to your line of thinking

My posts are merely opinions of my own. People can express any opinion on play. I couldn't care less if people agree or disagree with my opinion. I realize you and Grover Dill love morphing my posts into something they are not, but you really should relax. Yes, I cannot stand players who blatantly do not try. Nowhere did I say or imply that all players are giving 100% on every play, in every area of the field. The way I played football was to give 100% effort on every play. At no point in my life did I ever refuse to stop a ball carrier or refuse to catch a pass without a valid reason. For example, I might refuse to catch a forward pass behind the scrimmage if it appears it will be for a loss.

I'm sure we could find instances of most of the roster not giving max effort on a play

How about instances of deliberately putting forth no effort at all in a play they could stop? You seem to be making my post into something it is not to push some sort of agenda. Let me be clear by using this scenario.... A RB is coming toward a Steeler defender, instead of attempting to tackle the RB, the defender decides to put his hands in the air to let him run past. For me, that is an automatic bench or at least a decrease in playing time. For you it's no big deal. Yes?

Cockrell is no longer on the team. If he was I would insert him as the starter. As of now, Gay would be used. If Gay does well then he remains the starter. Hopefully benching Burns will turn a light on in his head. Burns is not a child. He is something like 22 or 23 years old.

The only option teams would have would be to choose not to field a roster.

So the NFL is filled with players who deliberately let ball carriers run by them without even an attempt to stop them? I guess you and I watch two different leagues.

teegre
10-25-2017, 08:53 AM
Grover Dill

That is one helluva clever reference. :applaudit: Well done.

BlackAndGold
10-25-2017, 09:08 AM
Burns has played well this year, almost had a great pick this past week but Dalton made a great throw.

He's a work in progress but most of us knew this after he was drafted. He is only 22 years old compared to WJ3 who will be 25 in 2 days, he'll only get better.

Burns was the right choice.

I mean ffs, what is there to truly complain about? he is part of the reason why the secondary is playing great.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-25-2017, 09:09 AM
okay, if you think the Steelers reached by selecting Artie Burns at 1(25) please tell us who you would have selected instead?

Depends, if I was going BPA, I would have likely selected Robert Nkmdeche or Vernon Butler. Steelers had it in their mind to get a CB and like I said in the earlier post.."reality is there wasn't another good boundary CB there in round 2, so they got their CB with that pick".

Mojouw
10-25-2017, 11:24 AM
So it's ok to express a negative opinion of Bryant, but not Burns? Hmmm...

My posts are merely opinions of my own. People can express any opinion on play. I couldn't care less if people agree or disagree with my opinion. I realize you and Grover Dill love morphing my posts into something they are not, but you really should relax. Yes, I cannot stand players who blatantly do not try. Nowhere did I say or imply that all players are giving 100% on every play, in every area of the field. The way I played football was to give 100% effort on every play. At no point in my life did I ever refuse to stop a ball carrier or refuse to catch a pass without a valid reason. For example, I might refuse to catch a forward pass behind the scrimmage if it appears it will be for a loss.

How about instances of deliberately putting forth no effort at all in a play they could stop? You seem to be making my post into something it is not to push some sort of agenda. Let me be clear by using this scenario.... A RB is coming toward a Steeler defender, instead of attempting to tackle the RB, the defender decides to put his hands in the air to let him run past. For me, that is an automatic bench or at least a decrease in playing time. For you it's no big deal. Yes?

Cockrell is no longer on the team. If he was I would insert him as the starter. As of now, Gay would be used. If Gay does well then he remains the starter. Hopefully benching Burns will turn a light on in his head. Burns is not a child. He is something like 22 or 23 years old.

So the NFL is filled with players who deliberately let ball carriers run by them without even an attempt to stop them? I guess you and I watch two different leagues.

You have repeatedly not addressed specific questions put to you based on your postings. You have repeatedly only selectively read responses directed towards you and exaggerated those responses.

My understanding of your original fairly short posting was that any player who doesn't give 100% effort on even one play in a game/season has no place playing on an NFL roster. My response was never to excuse lack of effort or lack of trying, but to simply point out that you had appeared to stake out a rather extreme position. One that seemed to, when taken to its logical extension, point towards the benching of at least 50% of NFL players.

Additionally, I have never once intended to argue that you can not express whatever opinion you please. Sorry if you took it that way. I am attempting to say that if you want others to discuss, agree, and/or be interested in your opinions (kind of the basic function of a message board, no?) then it might be interesting to explain how you envision your often extreme solutions to problems working within the context of the Steelers roster.

But if you want to simply figure I'm a jackass who is attacking you solely because I hold a different opinion than you're own - that's cool. The line for that forms to the left - it is fairly long.

Mojouw
10-25-2017, 11:51 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/film-room-artie-burns-work-progress/

Not always a fan of this particular writer, but he does provide some video evidence of Burns' "run support".

Appears that he is...ummm....trying (a generous application of the term), he just totally sucks at it!

DesertSteel
10-25-2017, 12:10 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/film-room-artie-burns-work-progress/

Not always a fan of this particular writer, but he does provide some video evidence of Burns' "run support".

Appears that he is...ummm....trying (a generous application of the term), he just totally sucks at it!Very generous lol.

I'm not down on him though. I think he'll get coached up. I can't imagine the lashings he gets in the film room on some of those attempted tackles. I spend my afternoons screaming at 12-year-olds for trying that stuff and they get better. I have to think the Burns will.

Mojouw
10-25-2017, 12:40 PM
Very generous lol.

I'm not down on him though. I think he'll get coached up. I can't imagine the lashings he gets in the film room on some of those attempted tackles. I spend my afternoons screaming at 12-year-olds for trying that stuff and they get better. I have to think the Burns will.

Yeah. Who knows? Maybe he never gets better.

I wonder where the Steelers fall on the run support vs pass defense thing? I mean for years it was pretty clear if you couldn't tackle in run support, you were never going to play corner for this team. I wonder if the recent torchings they have suffered in critical games have them re-thinking that?

86WARD
10-25-2017, 12:50 PM
As long as he defends the pass, they have other guys that should make the plays in run support. Look he’s just like Deion Sanders with less flair, less ball skills and less coverage skills.

DesertSteel
10-25-2017, 01:03 PM
As long as he defends the pass, they have other guys that should make the plays in run support. Look he’s just like Deion Sanders with less flair, less ball skills and less coverage skills.
Steeldude would have Sanders on 3rd string for his tackling.

86WARD
10-25-2017, 01:13 PM
Lol. Sanders tackling is why I’d put him second all time to Woodson.

43Hitman
10-25-2017, 02:19 PM
That is one helluva clever reference. :applaudit: Well done.
One of my all time favorite movies around Christmas

teegre
10-25-2017, 02:20 PM
Burns has played well this year, almost had a great pick this past week but Dalton made a great throw.

He's a work in progress but most of us knew this after he was drafted. He is only 22 years old compared to WJ3 who will be 25 in 2 days, he'll only get better.

Burns was the right choice.

I mean ffs, what is there to truly complain about? he is part of the reason why the secondary is playing great.

I agree.

As I said elsewhere (or earlier???) I was higher on Burns than I was on WJIII (I think Texassteel & I were the only ones who had them ranked that way). Anywho, I was happy when WJIII was selected ahead of us. I feel that WJIII is the better player right now, but Burns will be the much better player in the long run.

As far as his draft position goes, if I recall correctly, the Chiefs were going to take him one pick after us... and then, once Burns was gone, they decided to trade down. In other words, there was no way that Burns would have been there any later than when we picked.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-25-2017, 11:28 PM
I wanted Willie and still do and hated the desperation cocky pick right after on Burns. Burns works and now not a bad pick at all. I don't see him being no more then just a slightly above average CB the rest of his career. He was then and now what we needed.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-25-2017, 11:39 PM
Bengals can't bet us in the league but purposely do it in the draft and knew we was all in on WJ.

hawaiiansteeler
10-30-2017, 12:21 PM
Artie Burns had nine tackles, a pass defensed, and a fumble recovery against the Lions.

not bad for a guy who is afraid to tackle :stirthepot:

Mojouw
10-30-2017, 12:42 PM
Artie Burns had nine tackles, a pass defensed, and a fumble recovery against the Lions.

not bad for a guy who is afraid to tackle :stirthepot:

Yeah. Lazy player who shows no effort and has little place on an NFL roster, much less the starting line-up.

In all seriousness, Burns strikes me as the kind of guy that is going to need periodic "reminders" in terms of film room and locker-room shaming that run tackling is a thing. But he certainly played last night like a player who was out to prove that he will hit guys.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-30-2017, 12:44 PM
Burns makes a great tackle here at the 35 second mark. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA9SaZiEGBQ

It was on a 43 yard reception that he gave up, but at least he made the tackle. Just padding his stats on the tackle column.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-30-2017, 12:54 PM
Yeah. Lazy player who shows no effort and has little place on an NFL roster, much less the starting line-up.

In all seriousness, Burns strikes me as the kind of guy that is going to need periodic "reminders" in terms of film room and locker-room shaming that run tackling is a thing. But he certainly played last night like a player who was out to prove that he will hit guys.

I think you are correct. Watch the Lions possessions again if you have the game recorded and keep an eye on Burns. He will push a guy out to the sidelines, rather than try to wrap up and at times he slows down, just to let another Steeler make the tackle. He kind of looked like he was using the Deion Sanders technique of run support last night. Even at the 8:00 mark of that video, he gets run over by Ebron as he steps out of bounds...so probably credited with the tackle, but never tried to wrap up the TE at all.

He isn't really a willing tackler, but W. Jackson's strong suit isn't run support either.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-04-2017, 11:37 PM
Jackson just made Burns look like a great tackler. I would like to see putting both players in an octagon and tell them they need to tackle the other guy to the ground in order to win the match. 10 round split decision. :doh:

tube517
12-04-2017, 11:41 PM
Jackson just made Burns look like a great tackler. I would like to see putting both players in an octagon and tell them they need to tackle the other guy to the ground in order to win the match. 10 round split decision. :doh:

Yeah, throw in Dupree who was looking for the eclipse from last August.

Shoes
12-04-2017, 11:42 PM
Dupree got a sack when Andy ran into his arms. :chuckle:

Mojouw
12-04-2017, 11:46 PM
DONG SACK!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fansince'76
12-04-2017, 11:48 PM
Dupree is looking more and more like another Jarvis Jones...

86WARD
12-04-2017, 11:59 PM

He is...it’s scary...

tube517
12-05-2017, 12:08 AM
DONG SACK!!!

:lol: That still cracks me up.

Mojouw
12-05-2017, 12:10 AM

Yeah, I am no longer rising to his defense this week or any other until he starts looking like someone who can take coaching.

IF one could put Jarvis Jones's head onto DUpree's body you would have a darn good linebacker. Jones knew what to do, he just wasn't physically able. Dupree has all the ability and no earthly idea what to do with it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-05-2017, 12:13 AM
:lol: That still cracks me up.

I know. Alvim BUDDong Sack. Its no Jasom Worlindong, but he can work on it.

teegre
12-05-2017, 12:22 AM
I know. Alvim BUDDong Sack. Its no Jasom Worlindong, but he can work on it.

Both pale in comparison to Taunto the Winged God of Linebacking.

SteelerFanInStl
12-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I am no longer rising to his defense this week or any other until he starts looking like someone who can take coaching.

IF one could put Jarvis Jones's head onto DUpree's body you would have a darn good linebacker. Jones knew what to do, he just wasn't physically able. Dupree has all the ability and no earthly idea what to do with it.

Agreed. I was really hyped to see Bud step up this year but he's fallen way off from what he did after his injury last year. I don't know what's gotten into him. He just looks like a guy going through the motions.

hawaiiansteeler
12-05-2017, 02:53 PM
did you guys see Jackson's matador non-tackle on LeVeon's TD?

AtlantaDan
12-05-2017, 05:49 PM
The Steelers' best player against the Bengals? Artie Burns.

Pro Football Focus believes the second-year cornerback was the best player on the field for the Steelers. The stats-centric website that grades players on every snap in a given game gave Burns an overall score of 85.3 (https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-pittsburgh-steelers-23-cincinnati-bengals-20), saying of his performance:

Burns impressed in coverage Monday Night, leading to a grade of 84.6 in that category. He was thrown at six times, allowing only two catches for 25 yards while recording a pass break up and limiting Bengals receivers to one yard after the catch. Burns held his own while in coverage against A.J. Green, not allowing a catch on three targets.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/12/05/steelers-vs-begals-pro-football-focus-grades-artie-burns-antonio-brown/stories/201712050197

(http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/12/05/steelers-vs-begals-pro-football-focus-grades-artie-burns-antonio-brown/stories/201712050197)

BlackAndGold
12-05-2017, 08:36 PM
He is...it’s scary...

Is he though...

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2017/12/04/kovacevic-quit-picking-man-bud-guys-hes-everything-steelers-asked/

teegre
12-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Is he though...

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2017/12/04/kovacevic-quit-picking-man-bud-guys-hes-everything-steelers-asked/

Good read.

What I find interesting is that a certain website known for bashing LBs (specifically those who record dong sacks) consistently grades Dupree as a solid B+. Shocking, really. Dupree doesn’t even have a clever/sophomoric nickname (e.g. Ryan Shaqueer). And, trust me, Captain Miserable seeks out ANY reason to bash a player.

So... Bud might not be as bad as advertised.

(Of course, as I post this, he gives Dupree a D-. :lol: )

Mojouw
12-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Is he though...

Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in!!

I'm back on team BUDDY D

Mojouw
12-05-2017, 09:52 PM
The Steelers' best player against the Bengals? Artie Burns.

Pro Football Focus believes the second-year cornerback was the best player on the field for the Steelers. The stats-centric website that grades players on every snap in a given game gave Burns an overall score of 85.3 (https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-pittsburgh-steelers-23-cincinnati-bengals-20), saying of his performance:

Burns impressed in coverage Monday Night, leading to a grade of 84.6 in that category. He was thrown at six times, allowing only two catches for 25 yards while recording a pass break up and limiting Bengals receivers to one yard after the catch. Burns held his own while in coverage against A.J. Green, not allowing a catch on three targets.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/12/05/steelers-vs-begals-pro-football-focus-grades-artie-burns-antonio-brown/stories/201712050197

(http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/12/05/steelers-vs-begals-pro-football-focus-grades-artie-burns-antonio-brown/stories/201712050197)

So you're saying that both Burns AND Jackson can be good? Ppppppfffffftttttt

Shoes
12-05-2017, 10:03 PM

Pretty sad imo. All the pre-draft talk of what a freakish athlete he was sure as hell hasn't shown up. It seems at this point the river barge will be picking up its next passenger sooner rather than later. Might as well take big Dan also, he can serve as the anchor.