PDA

View Full Version : Just How Good is this Defense? Stats Update

Craic
10-23-2017, 04:48 PM
So, how is the defense doing? There's usually two ways to approach this question. The first way is statistics, but statistics can tell a different tale than reality. The second is the eye test, but the eye-test is very often biased by our emotions and expectations. So, I want to go back and check stats, then ask a couple other questions in the eye-test department.

Stats
Numbers alone mean nothing. So, instead of identifying the actual yardage, I'm going to identify place in the league, and then the number if it helps provide further context.

Net Yards per Game average = 2nd place. We are 1/5 of a yard per game away from being tied for first place.
Pass Yards per Game = 1st place. Moreover, there are 14.7 yards per game difference between the Steelers and 2nd place team. But, is this stat a result of teams ignoring the pass and just running against us? No. See Rush Yards per Game below.
Passes defended = tied for 5th place. Now, that stat alone doesn't say much because, what we need to look at as well is passes attempted, and Pittsburgh is tied for 12th fewest passes attempted against them per game. Moreover, several of the teams have a higher pass attempts against them.
So, what about the completion percentage? We're tied for 7th, just a few tenths of a point out of sixth spot.
Pass rating = 4th, just 3/10s of a point from the Ravens in third place.
Sacks = tied for 2nd place. Moreover, our top sack leaders are tied for 21st place. That means our entire defense is contributing to the defense.
Pass TDs allowed = 4th place, one TD out of second place.
INTs = tied for 3rd
Rush Yards per Game = 15th place. This is probably our worst defensive stat. Nevertheless, after three games, we sat in 22nd place. Moreover, we are in 14th place for rush attempts against. So it's not like teams are just giving up on the pass and running left, right, and center against us because we can't stop them.
Rush TDs per Game = 25th place. However, that isn't as bad as it looks. We've allowed 6 rush TDs. If we allowed one less, we'd be tied for 19th street. If we allowed 2 less, we'd be tied for 10th place.
Rush first downs = 17th About what we expect as we are average against the rush right now.
First Downs by Penalty = 3rd place. (I was surprised and happy about this, especially as they are tied for 16th in total penalties)
Recovered Fumbles = tied for third.
Overall Points per Game = 3rd place. 9/10s of a point out of being tied for second place.

Eye Test

All the stats looked very good. However, How does it play in real life? In the game against the Chiefs, the defense shut down the Chiefs in the first half. The second half, however, they started to let them drive. In fact, the win was endanger until the last drive. Against the Bengals, however, we saw the opposite. This defense was able to adjust and step up to literally shut down the Bengals' offense. Matter of fact, ignoring the score in overtime against this defense, Pittsburgh has only allowed 2 TDs in the third quarter and 3 TDs in the fourth quarter.

This defense also looks absolutely solid at times—almost suffocating. Someone else has said that the problem with our defense is overpursuit. The eye-test concurs. The biggest runs I remember from this last weekend were from cutbacks. Only a few times this year do I remember there being gaping holes for RBs to gash our defense.

Conclusion

Our defense is fast becoming the best unit on this team again, and it's doing it by shutting down the pass, which is vital in today's NFL. We're busting up plays and creating turnovers. If our guys can keep gap control and we increase just a bit more in the run defense, there's no limit to where this team could go, because regardless of how we feels, this offense is MUCH better than the 2008 offense, and this defense is as good or better than the 2008 PASS defense. Sure, we're worse against the run, but that's not going to bust games open like passing does. It also doesn't allow for blown leads time and again in the fourth quarter.

polamalubeast
10-23-2017, 05:26 PM
The competition was not very good but the game against the chiefs was a big test for this defense and they were amazing in this game with only 13 points given and 3 of its points were due to an error on the special team

In the other 6 games, the chiefs scored at least 27 points in every game.

I had confidence in this defense before the season and I hope they will continue to improve and if they contain the run a little better, almost every offense will struggle against this defense.

ALLD
10-23-2017, 05:34 PM
The sacks and turnovers are bailing out the rush D.

Craic
10-23-2017, 05:44 PM
???

Not really. If the Steelers were last or even in the bottom third, I'd agree. However, they are average. So, there's not a lot of "bailing out" going on. It's the stops on 3rd down that are helping the most.

RunNGun
10-23-2017, 05:55 PM
So, how is the defense doing? There's usually two ways to approach this question. The first way is statistics, but statistics can tell a different tale than reality. The second is the eye test, but the eye-test is very often biased by our emotions and expectations. So, I want to go back and check stats, then ask a couple other questions in the eye-test department.

Stats
Numbers alone mean nothing. So, instead of identifying the actual yardage, I'm going to identify place in the league, and then the number if it helps provide further context.

Net Yards per Game average = 2nd place. We are 1/5 of a yard per game away from being tied for first place.
Pass Yards per Game = 1st place. Moreover, there are 14.7 yards per game difference between the Steelers and 2nd place team. But, is this stat a result of teams ignoring the pass and just running against us? No. See Rush Yards per Game below.
Passes defended = tied for 5th place. Now, that stat alone doesn't say much because, what we need to look at as well is passes attempted, and Pittsburgh is tied for 12th fewest passes attempted against them per game. Moreover, several of the teams have a higher pass attempts against them.
So, what about the completion percentage? We're tied for 7th, just a few tenths of a point out of sixth spot.
Pass rating = 4th, just 3/10s of a point from the Ravens in third place.
Sacks = tied for 2nd place. Moreover, our top sack leaders are tied for 21st place. That means our entire defense is contributing to the defense.
Pass TDs allowed = 4th place, one TD out of second place.
INTs = tied for 3rd
Rush Yards per Game = 15th place. This is probably our worst defensive stat. Nevertheless, after three games, we sat in 22nd place. Moreover, we are in 14th place for rush attempts against. So it's not like teams are just giving up on the pass and running left, right, and center against us because we can't stop them.
Rush TDs per Game = 25th place. However, that isn't as bad as it looks. We've allowed 6 rush TDs. If we allowed one less, we'd be tied for 19th street. If we allowed 2 less, we'd be tied for 10th place.
Rush first downs = 17th About what we expect as we are average against the rush right now.
First Downs by Penalty = 3rd place. (I was surprised and happy about this, especially as they are tied for 16th in total penalties)
Recovered Fumbles = tied for third.
Overall Points per Game = 3rd place. 9/10s of a point out of being tied for second place.

Eye Test

All the stats looked very good. However, How does it play in real life? In the game against the Chiefs, the defense shut down the Chiefs in the first half. The second half, however, they started to let them drive. In fact, the win was endanger until the last drive. Against the Bengals, however, we saw the opposite. This defense was able to adjust and step up to literally shut down the Bengals' offense. Matter of fact, ignoring the score in overtime against this defense, Pittsburgh has only allowed 2 TDs in the third quarter and 3 TDs in the fourth quarter.

This defense also looks absolutely solid at times—almost suffocating. Someone else has said that the problem with our defense is overpursuit. The eye-test concurs. The biggest runs I remember from this last weekend were from cutbacks. Only a few times this year do I remember there being gaping holes for RBs to gash our defense.

Conclusion

Our defense is fast becoming the best unit on this team again, and it's doing it by shutting down the pass, which is vital in today's NFL. We're busting up plays and creating turnovers. If our guys can keep gap control and we increase just a bit more in the run defense, there's no limit to where this team could go, because regardless of how we feels, this offense is MUCH better than the 2008 offense, and this defense is as good or better than the 2008 PASS defense. Sure, we're worse against the run, but that's not going to bust games open like passing does. It also doesn't allow for blown leads time and again in the fourth quarter.

Great post! I can't deny that I'm starting to get hyped for this defense. The athletes on defense is jaw dropping. They can flat out fly. It was just a matter of time for them to play as a unit. We are starting to see what they're capable of.

Mojouw
10-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Romo mentioned it several times during the broadcast last week (remember he called the Chiefs game also) and others that watch the Steelers have mentioned it as well. The run game issues have all been about guys over-running plays or "guessing" and losing their gap assignment.

Now you can just say that is because they stink or like Romo must've said a half dozen times -- the team speed on the defense is phenomenal and much of that speed is in their first 3 seasons. They simply are over-running plays or guessing wrong.

They get that cleaned up and play more "in control" -- no one is running on them consistently.

vasteeler
10-23-2017, 06:26 PM
Just imagine when the offense catches up.

cubanstogie
10-23-2017, 06:57 PM
well some of the turnovers are a direct cause of the pass rush. Dupree looked good yesterday and Watt as usual look great. The brightest part of game for me was the secondary not giving up huge plays or long PI penalties. It seems Green always victimizes Steelers DB's , as well as Flacco and company. Didn't happen in either game this year. Im excited to see the secondary against Brady. Since he torched them last year its hard not to think we will see huge improvement with this D, that will be a huge test.

BlackAndGold
10-24-2017, 11:39 AM
It's also looking like it'll get better with Dupree's shoulder getting better.

polamalubeast
10-24-2017, 12:34 PM

And the steelers are 2nd in sacks with 24!

Very important to put the pressure without blitzing, since when you play against Brady, blitzing against him is suicide.

GBMelBlount
10-24-2017, 12:46 PM

And the steelers are 2nd in sacks with 24!

Very important to put the pressure without blitzing, since when you play against Brady, blitzing against him is suicide.

Great stats and point!

pczach
10-24-2017, 01:31 PM

How can that be?

We've been told by experts here that he's a bust.

Psycho Ward 86
10-24-2017, 03:12 PM

geez i had no idea it was that bad. Maybe Dupree really has gotten better than in years past, he just cant utilize it fully with his bad shoulder. Hopefully he'll stop running up the arc all the time

pczach
10-24-2017, 04:30 PM
geez i had no idea it was that bad. Maybe Dupree really has gotten better than in years past, he just cant utilize it fully with his bad shoulder. Hopefully he'll stop running up the arc all the time

Does anyone know which shoulder it is? I believe it's his right shoulder. Will Graves of AP reported it's his right shoulder in an article: https://www.all22.com/pittsburgh-steelers/steelers-pass-rusher-bud-dupree-still-shoulder-injury

If it's his right shoulder, that could explain why he hasn't been giving the OT the hard right hand and take the inside move. He has set up that move by showing the speed to get around the edge. If he adds the inside moves with his quick step to the edge, he will really become a problem for offenses to deal with when his shoulder is 100%.

For those people that like to say he has underperformed, he has 11.5 sacks in 15 career starts.

Not too shabby for a "bust".

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DuprAl00.htm

Craic
10-24-2017, 06:00 PM
Does anyone know which shoulder it is? I believe it's his right shoulder. Will Graves of AP reported it's his right shoulder in an article: https://www.all22.com/pittsburgh-steelers/steelers-pass-rusher-bud-dupree-still-shoulder-injury

If it's his right shoulder, that could explain why he hasn't been giving the OT the hard right hand and take the inside move. He has set up that move by showing the speed to get around the edge. If he adds the inside moves with his quick step to the edge, he will really become a problem for offenses to deal with when his shoulder is 100%.

For those people that like to say he has underperformed, he has 11.5 sacks in 15 career starts.

Yep, we trot out that "bust" title way too often and way too soon. I did notice he wasn't making an impact earlier in the season and wondered why. This makes a lot of sense. Moreover, if was still holding his own at least while being that injured, I wonder just how good he'll be when he heals. Let's hope he gets through this next game without injury and then get that week off.

vasteeler
10-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Cue Steelerdude

Psycho Ward 86
10-24-2017, 09:31 PM

then he definitely gets a huge pass. this pass rush is going to hit a whole new level if he gets healthy

teegre
10-25-2017, 06:27 AM
this pass rush is going to hit a whole new level if he gets healthy

...and, when Dupree develops a second move.

Case in point:
When he looped inside (instead of merely speed rushing), the Bengals had NO answer for him.

Case in point #2:
Melvin Ingram is finally healthy. Boom!!!... instant pass rush in San Di -er- Los Angeles.

Mojouw
10-25-2017, 11:31 AM
...and, when Dupree develops a second move.

Case in point:
When he looped inside (instead of merely speed rushing), the Bengals had NO answer for him.

Case in point #2:
Melvin Ingram is finally healthy. Boom!!!... instant pass rush in San Di -er- Los Angeles.

I hope you're right. I have been high on Dupree and players like Ingram have been my reason for hope. I was totally sour on Ingram for a few years, and he has really turned it around.

The biggest thing holding Dupree back is that he just gets run up the arc and past the pocket on far too many rushes. I don't really even care if his sack #'s are low. His "pressure" and "hurry" numbers need to get better. Almost as good as a sack is disrupting timing and moving QB's off their preferred "launch point" (what the cool kids are calling it these days!).

Maybe his shoulder getting right allows him to bend back inside?

Iron Steeler
10-25-2017, 12:52 PM
I like the sacks without blitzing.. That has always been the missing dynamic to the defense.

DesertSteel
10-25-2017, 12:56 PM
I'm concerned that Dupree is gonna be out with that shoulder before long. Maybe for an extended period...

teegre
10-25-2017, 02:13 PM
I hope you're right. I have been high on Dupree and players like Ingram have been my reason for hope. I was totally sour on Ingram for a few years, and he has really turned it around.

The biggest thing holding Dupree back is that he just gets run up the arc and past the pocket on far too many rushes. I don't really even care if his sack #'s are low. His "pressure" and "hurry" numbers need to get better. Almost as good as a sack is disrupting timing and moving QB's off their preferred "launch point" (what the cool kids are calling it these days!).

Bingo.

On almost every down, I see him get a great jump at the snap... and then run up and out of the play. Maybe it's due to his shoulder (that he has no other move), but this past game gave me some hope.

Craic
10-25-2017, 10:33 PM

Possible. Or, he might be protecting it, depending on which shoulder it is. I'd hate to put my bad shoulder directly across from a defender. I'd rather move in the direction that allows my good shoulder to take a hit.

polamalubeast
10-27-2017, 09:47 AM

tube517
10-27-2017, 10:27 AM

It's early nearly mid- season (still alot of games to go) but that is a good start.

Notice we played 4 of the top 5 in that category.