PDA

View Full Version : To those who said...

RunNGun
10-22-2017, 06:36 PM
...that the season was over after the Jags loss. What are your thoughts now that we are sitting atop the AFC? Dominating performance today by our defense. Offense left some points out there, but you won't get any complaints from this guy.

hawaiiansteeler
10-22-2017, 06:40 PM
Bill Cowher would have us undefeated :stirthepot:

Edman
10-22-2017, 06:44 PM
The Jaguars game was Ben having a complete meltdown that will likely never be seen again.

That said, Le'Veon Bell pretty much earned his money this upcoming offseason.

BlackAndGold
10-22-2017, 06:44 PM
Team woke up after the Jags game. I hope fans see what Bell does for this team. His impact is unmatched.

He is worth the money.

Edman
10-22-2017, 06:45 PM
Team woke up after the Jags game. I hope fans see what Bell does for this team. His impact is unmatched.

He is worth the money.

Team MVP for a reason. He's the glue that holds everything together.

BlackAndGold
10-22-2017, 06:48 PM
Team MVP for a reason. He's the glue that holds everything together.

That a perfect description for Bell. This offense runs through him.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-22-2017, 06:51 PM
Tag him again or get a deal done! Just think if we drafted Hunt too.

FrancoLambert
10-22-2017, 06:51 PM
That a perfect description for Bell. This offense runs through him.

It certainly does. And I wish it would run through him more on third and one.

polamalubeast
10-22-2017, 06:52 PM
The steelers have adversity every season, but Tomlin is great when the steelers have adversity

5-2 for the first time since 2011.

SteelerFanInStl
10-22-2017, 06:54 PM

He is worth the money.

Real fans should've seen that last year.

86WARD
10-22-2017, 07:42 PM
Did the team wake up or are they just “game shape”? Still would like to see more out of the offense. Less FGs and more TDs.

Moose
10-22-2017, 07:51 PM
. Less FGs and more TDs.

Agree 100% Would be a real ass kickin' team.

steelreserve
10-22-2017, 08:16 PM

ba-ZING!!!

Real fans should've seen that last year.

I think everyone gets that. We just wish he would actually take the money.

SteelMayhem72
10-22-2017, 08:22 PM
We are on the right track for sure...id say we string a 3rd game together at detroit i will be sold on this team...then its the bye week...just hope for no injuries!!!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

RunNGun
10-22-2017, 08:31 PM
We are on the right track for sure...id say we string a 3rd game together at detroit i will be sold on this team...then its the bye week...just hope for no injuries!!!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

The injury bug hasn't affected us too much at this point. However, I've said it before and I'll say it again, 30 needs more touches. With the heavy workload Bell has been getting on a weekly basis, it has me nervous. They can't run the wheels off of the best player on this football team. We need him healthy if we want to make a deep run. Conner has done well with his chances. I don't understand why he hasn't been utilized more.

Steeldude
10-22-2017, 08:33 PM
Did someone say the season was over after the loss to the Jags?

- - - Updated - - -

He is worth the money.

Has yet to finish a season. He's not worth $18,000,000+ a season.

RunNGun
10-22-2017, 08:34 PM
Did someone say the season was over after the loss to the Jags?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, a few someones did.

st33lersguy
10-22-2017, 08:51 PM

No RB is worth $18,000,000+ a year. Breaking the bank for 1 RB is not a wise decision

43Hitman
10-22-2017, 08:53 PM
Where is this 18m a year number coming from? Source please.

Steeldude
10-22-2017, 09:11 PM
Where is this 18m a year number coming from? Source please.

Didn't he turn down 18mil? He's not worth 15 million either.

teegre
10-22-2017, 09:24 PM

5 years / $60 million :noidea:

st33lersguy
10-22-2017, 09:26 PM

He would have been the highest paid RB in the league. More than fair for a RB (particularly one who hasn't started and finished a season regardless of talent).

- - - Updated - - -

No RB is worth breaking the bank for $15 million a year either

teegre
10-22-2017, 09:32 PM
He would have been the highest paid RB in the league. More than fair for a RB (particularly one who hasn't started and finished a season regardless of talent).

- - - Updated - - -

No RB is worth breaking the bank for $15 million a year either

Maybe... maybe not.

But, my point is that $18 million is not the same as $12 million. It’s a difference of $6 million.

Craic
10-22-2017, 11:01 PM
Maybe... maybe not.

But, my point is that $18 million is not the same as $12 million. It’s a difference of $6 million.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/55198150/mom-tell-the-intj-to-stop-using-cold-logic.jpg

DesertSteel
10-22-2017, 11:05 PM
...that the season was over after the Jags loss. What are your thoughts now that we are sitting atop the AFC? Dominating performance today by our defense. Offense left some points out there, but you won't get any complaints from this guy.
I’m pretty sure I read even a single post that said the season was over after that game.

Count Steeler
10-23-2017, 05:37 AM
I hope they learn from this season and use the pre season to actually get into game shape. The NFL in general is a waste of time for the first 4 games. Pre season 2.0. The good that came out of our pre season are Hilton and Watson. The bad? Our offense is still trying to get into sync. Bell's holdout also contributes because he was rusty for the first 4 games. The arrow is definitely pointing up again.

BlackAndGold
10-23-2017, 06:21 AM
Bell wanted more guaranteed money(only 2 years were), only reason he didn't sign a LT deal.

tube517
10-23-2017, 07:18 AM
Maybe... maybe not.

http://winnipeghockeytalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Egghead-Jr..jpg :chuckle:

Hawkman
10-23-2017, 07:27 AM
All of that said, and I love Bell, but I don't think he does, what he does, nearly as well behind a different line.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-23-2017, 10:08 AM
I’m pretty sure I read even a single post that said the season was over after that game.

The Jaguars game?.....this board was mostly negative after the Ravens game where the Steelers won. :doh:

When fans are calling the season over in September, I just tune them out as I am trying to enjoy a football season for the next 4 months.

hawaiiansteeler
10-23-2017, 02:00 PM

Todd Haley is much too clever and creative with his play calling than to resort to something so obvious like that :doh:

Neversatisfied
10-23-2017, 02:12 PM
This thread is hilarious. It's week 7, this team could run the table or have a complete meltdown. Yesterday was as much about the Bengals playing terrible as it was the Steelers playing well. 5 field goals to end the game, this team didn't dominate offensively in the second half, they couldn't put the ball in the end zone. Still not sold on the offense.

AtlantaDan
10-23-2017, 02:13 PM

Real world the first 2-3 years are what he would be sure to bank in the world of NFL contracts not being guaranteed in full

Never saw a breakdown on how much of the "$60 million" or "$30 million" in first two years was the bonus that would be guaranteed

Ben's current 5 year deal paid him $1 million salary in 2014 along with the $31 million signing bonus

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/ben-roethlisberger-3595/

RunNGun
10-23-2017, 05:21 PM

I'm confused by what you mean in that post. I'm not going to dig through and find the posts, but there were a few people ready to throw in the towel after the Jags loss. There's a lot of season left and a lot can happen, but right now we're the best team in the AFC, so I'll take that for what it's worth.

hawaiiansteeler
10-23-2017, 06:38 PM
there were a few people ready to throw in the towel after the Jags loss

and those people will say the same things after our next loss...

RunNGun
10-23-2017, 06:45 PM
and those people will say the same things after our next loss...

You're probably right. Way too early presumptions and negativity has always been something that rubs me the wrong way, so I had somewhat call these people out.

cubanstogie
10-23-2017, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=st33lersguy;611578]He would have been the highest paid RB in the league. More than fair for a RB (particularly one who hasn't started and finished a season regardless of talent).

- - - Updated - - -

no journeyman QB is worth 12 mill either but thats what Fitzpatrick got last year. If the market says top RB get 12-15 then LB deserves the 15. I would not take anyone over him. Not being a homer either because I would take Rodgers over Ben and flip a coin for Julio or AB. But Bell is so unique no one like him

hawaiiansteeler
10-23-2017, 08:26 PM
I would take Rodgers over Ben

no way do you take Rodgers over Ben, don't you know Rodgers has a broken collarbone and is out for the season? :wink02:

cubanstogie
10-23-2017, 08:55 PM
no way do you take Rodgers over Ben, don't you know Rodgers has a broken collarbone and is out for the season? :wink02:
bummed about it too, I wanted SB rematch and spank them this time. Looking back at my comment I still would rather have AB than Julio, but I think Julio is as good, where as I don't think anyone as good as Bell.

AtlantaDan
10-23-2017, 09:05 PM
bummed about it too, I wanted SB rematch and spank them this time. Looking back at my comment I still would rather have AB than Julio, but I think Julio is as good, where as I don't think anyone as good as Bell.

Interesting observations in MMQB today from the former Packers beat writer on how Rodgers tries to win every play like younger Ben did

He holds the ball, he takes a lot of sacks, and when he extends plays, he lives a very dangerous life out there. Now this play in question, everybody does this type of thing, it's an escape right, you throw the ball, you get hit by an extremely fast linebacker. But I want to bring a play up in the [Week 2] Atlanta game. They are down 11 with a minute left and the ball is on the Green Bay 12. This game is over; it's garbage time. From shotgun, there's pressure in the middle and he spins out to his left. Just dump the ball, right, Peter? … He holds it for 5.1 seconds and here comes Adrian Claiborne and absolutely levels him. The pass flutters incomplete. He just gets drilled at the goal line. Now … he's extremely tough, but this stuff, he takes too many chances for his own safety and for the health of the franchise. The law of averages can catch up to you

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/23/nfl-week-7-doug-baldwin-roger-goodell-joe-thomas-dan-quinn-mmqb

st33lersguy
10-23-2017, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=st33lersguy;611578]He would have been the highest paid RB in the league. More than fair for a RB (particularly one who hasn't started and finished a season regardless of talent).

- - - Updated - - -

no journeyman QB is worth 12 mill either but thats what Fitzpatrick got last year. If the market says top RB get 12-15 then LB deserves the 15. I would not take anyone over him. Not being a homer either because I would take Rodgers over Ben and flip a coin for Julio or AB. But Bell is so unique no one like him

I don't think the market would dictate a RB being worth $15 mil a year when in early August, DeVonte Freeman became the highest paid RB with a multi-year deal and the highest paid RB before Bell signed his franchise tender when he signed a contract for slightly over $8 million a year

Mojouw
10-23-2017, 11:43 PM
One of the things I have been thinking about regarding the concerns about what a reasonable contract value for Bell is or is not, is the Steelers QB situation.

1. This year has demonstrated that Ben is on the back 9 of his career. No longer can major components of the offense be "Ben, figure something out and make it work". This was the offense for the last several years and we can currently see what is happening with Rodgers' injury in GB. They had the same offensive philosphy - Rodgers will overcome whatever obstacles we find along the way. So moving forward, the Steelers QB should not be counted on as being the sole/primary focus of the offensive philosophy.

2. Ben is off the books in 2 more years at most. In that same window no one besides L. Bell should command over $10-12 million per year based on the current roster (meaning guys that are in line for an extension).

3. The next Qb - whoever that is - will likely be on a cheap rookie deal - Dobbs or a draft pick.

4. I have changed my mind on this based on the first third of this season and the events of the last two weeks. Bryant never sees a second contract from the Pittsburgh Steelers. So no need to save some cap room for that.

All that being said, it is possible that paying L Bell whatever the hell he wants does nothing negative to the salary cap. Or at least nothing you can't manage. Think of it this way. For the 2019-2022 window, Leveon Bell functions as the "franchise QB" portion of the salary cap. A franchise QB with a cap hit of $12-18 million per season is a bargain. Of course, overall salary structure and the ramifications that this might have for future negotiations with other players in the current locker-room is not an insignificant aspect to this. But that will need to be navigated by Colbert and company - not me!

Long story short, the offense for at least the next 4 years (Ben + 2 years growing the "next" guy) should be focused on AB and the RB position. So pay those two like you would pay a QB. Then Bell comes off the books and you can sign your shiny 3 year veteran franchise Qb to a big $$ deal.

Maybe this makes sense only to me...

teegre
10-24-2017, 06:38 AM
One of the things I have been thinking about regarding the concerns about what a reasonable contract value for Bell is or is not, is the Steelers QB situation.

1. This year has demonstrated that Ben is on the back 9 of his career. No longer can major components of the offense be "Ben, figure something out and make it work". This was the offense for the last several years and we can currently see what is happening with Rodgers' injury in GB. They had the same offensive philosphy - Rodgers will overcome whatever obstacles we find along the way. So moving forward, the Steelers QB should not be counted on as being the sole/primary focus of the offensive philosophy.

2. Ben is off the books in 2 more years at most. In that same window no one besides L. Bell should command over $10-12 million per year based on the current roster (meaning guys that are in line for an extension).

3. The next Qb - whoever that is - will likely be on a cheap rookie deal - Dobbs or a draft pick.

4. I have changed my mind on this based on the first third of this season and the events of the last two weeks. Bryant never sees a second contract from the Pittsburgh Steelers. So no need to save some cap room for that.

All that being said, it is possible that paying L Bell whatever the hell he wants does nothing negative to the salary cap. Or at least nothing you can't manage. Think of it this way. For the 2019-2022 window, Leveon Bell functions as the "franchise QB" portion of the salary cap. A franchise QB with a cap hit of $12-18 million per season is a bargain. Of course, overall salary structure and the ramifications that this might have for future negotiations with other players in the current locker-room is not an insignificant aspect to this. But that will need to be navigated by Colbert and company - not me!

Long story short, the offense for at least the next 4 years (Ben + 2 years growing the "next" guy) should be focused on AB and the RB position. So pay those two like you would pay a QB. Then Bell comes off the books and you can sign your shiny 3 year veteran franchise Qb to a big $$ deal.

Excellent point.

Whether it be Dobbs or a rookie R1 pick, the QB position will be cheap for the next three seasons (assuming BB retires). That money will NOT be used on Bryant; so, use it on the player who has averaged the most yards-from-scrimmage per game in the history of the NFL.

86WARD
10-24-2017, 06:49 AM

It’s a very good way to look at it...the only wrinkle would be if they signed a free agent up and coming QB...say a Marcus Mariota (just using his name as an example) or a guy in his similar position in the next couple years...