PDA

View Full Version : James Franklin Is A Players Coach Like Tomlin

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-21-2017, 09:46 PM
But he has his team 2 in the nation! Beating the crap out of Michigan as well. These player coaches really suck!

hawaiiansteeler
10-21-2017, 09:55 PM
and like Tomlin, James Franklin only was hired because of the Rooney Rule :hippo::poker:

10-21-2017, 10:09 PM
and like Tomlin, James Franklin only was hired because of the Rooney Rule :hippo::poker: Think That was how Trump became President because of the Rooney Rule. Opps never mind.

Steeldude
10-22-2017, 04:02 AM
Big difference between coaching the NFL and college.

st33lersguy
10-22-2017, 08:21 AM
"THAT MAKES JAMES FRANKLIN A CHEARLEEDUR!"

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-22-2017, 09:05 AM
Big difference between coaching the NFL and college.

:applaudit: Thanks, this needed to be said, despite it being obvious.

ALLD
10-22-2017, 09:27 AM
Vince Lombardi was a player's coach too, but his methods were different and legendary. More recently, Nick Saban has been a great college coach that absolutely bombed in the NFL.

43Hitman
10-22-2017, 10:04 AM
Vince Lombardi was a player's coach too, but his methods were different and legendary. More recently, Nick Saban has been a great college coach that absolutely bombed in the NFL.

A big reason for that is because he chose D. Culpepper instead of D. Brees in free agency. Brees had just come off of shoulder surgery I believe.

Mojouw
10-22-2017, 10:17 AM
Wasn’t Satan also the piece of crap that walked past a kid that later died and basically told him to suck it up?

I remember reading that Saban was a giant douchecanoe to his players and far from a successful enough coach to get away with it.

vader29
10-22-2017, 11:02 AM
Wasn’t Satan also the piece of crap that walked past a kid that later died and basically told him to suck it up?

I remember reading that Saban was a giant douchecanoe to his players and far from a successful enough coach to get away with it.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oriOaLBINGcizAdJm/giphy.gif

teegre
10-22-2017, 11:46 AM
A big reason for that is because he chose D. Culpepper instead of D. Brees in free agency. Brees had just come off of shoulder surgery I believe.

Technically, Saban wanted Brees; the GM & owner wanted Culpepper.

That rift (and decision) was the beginning of the end.

43Hitman
10-22-2017, 11:54 AM
Technically, Saban wanted Brees; the GM & owner wanted Culpepper.

That rift (and decision) was the beginning of the end.\
Ahh, I wasn't aware of that portion of it. Certainly makes a lot more sense, Culpepper was the flashier, get people in the seats, player.

tube517
10-22-2017, 01:15 PM

http://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/21833/why-do-coaches-call-nick-saban-the-devil

Steelermania
10-22-2017, 07:29 PM
Tomlin is definitely a players coach. So was Bill Cowher. Players loved playing for Cowher, and he had a very good reputation among players outside of the Steeler organization, as does Tomlin.

10-28-2017, 08:31 PM
Guess player coaches only get you so far. Stupid coaching at the end playing it safe. Rushing 3 and prevent defense led to both scores. Running the ball 3 times in a row then punt. Reminds me of Cower and Tomlin so much. With that said James Franklin has what it takes to be a NFL coach.

AtlantaDan
10-28-2017, 08:43 PM
Guess player coaches only get you so far. Stupid coaching at the end playing it safe. Rushing 3 and prevent defense led to both scores. Running the ball 3 times in a row then punt. Reminds me of Cower and Tomlin so much. With that said James Franklin has what it takes to be a NFL coach.

Penn State had an 11 point lead with 5&1/2 minutes to go

With regard to the loss reminding you of Cowher's performance, "the Steelers were a remarkable 108-1-1 in games in which they led by at least 11 points." :coffee:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/2/20/5429374/steelers-bill-cowher-hall-of-fame

86WARD
10-28-2017, 09:27 PM
Penn State shouldn’t have lost that game. They had it won...

10-28-2017, 09:44 PM

With regard to the loss reminding you of Cowher's performance, "the Steelers were a remarkable 108-1-1 in games in which they led by at least 11 points." :coffee:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/2/20/5429374/steelers-bill-cowher-hall-of-fameReminded me of Cowher cause he always played it safe. Just ask Ben when he told him in the SB not to.

- - - Updated - - -

Penn State shouldn’t have lost that game. They had it won... Exactly!

polamalubeast
10-29-2017, 07:18 AM

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/2/20/5429374/steelers-bill-cowher-hall-of-fame

And Tomlin lost only 2 games when the steelers led by at least 11 points too(2009 vs Bengals and 2015 vs ravens)!

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-05-2017, 10:07 AM
THIS, is why I like this guy!

“But make sure everybody’s clear, and don’t misinterpret this at the end of the game that I was running off the field, I would never do that,” Franklin said after the game. “I saw a few of our players running off the field, not going to shake hands, and we’re going to win with class and we are going to lose with class, and we are going to shake people’s hands and give them credit because they deserved it.”
https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/04/james-franklin-yells-player-not-shaking-hands

Its a gladiator sport and you respect the guy who's ass you whooped and who whooped yours. IMO.

st33lersguy
11-05-2017, 10:15 AM
0-10 on the road against ranked teams ain't gonna cut it. His team choked the last 2 games

86WARD
11-05-2017, 10:22 AM
They choked BIG TIME the last two. I do respect him making his players turn around and shake hands. Class move.

11-05-2017, 01:31 PM
The players morale was down yesterday after the loss last week and Imo why they lost yesterday. Last weeks loss was on the coaches and this week on the players.

AtlantaDan
11-05-2017, 01:42 PM
The players morale was down yesterday after the loss last week and Imo why they lost yesterday. Last weeks loss was on the coaches and this week on the players.

I thought when the Steelers were not mentally ready to play that is always Tomlin's fault :noidea:

Hawkman
11-05-2017, 01:46 PM
:stirthepot:
I thought when the Steelers were not mentally ready to play that is always Tomlin's fault :noidea:

11-05-2017, 01:48 PM
I thought when the Steelers were not mentally ready to play that is always Tomlin's fault :noidea: I always blame Ben lol.

- - - Updated - - -

:stirthepot: Different in College and one game can be you're season. Players realized that and couldn't get up for the game yesterday.

Hawkman
11-05-2017, 03:38 PM
That 3+ hour lightning delay in closet sized locker room probably didn't help things either.

Born2Steel
11-05-2017, 03:44 PM
Franklin is a good coach. He has that team playing well and set up to be pretty good for years. Right now, PennState fans need for the school rep to become shiny again. Franklin is a great guy/coach to move it in that direction.

AtlantaDan
11-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Franklin is a good coach. He has that team playing well and set up to be pretty good for years. Right now, PennState fans need for the school rep to become shiny again. Franklin is a great guy/coach to move it in that direction.

Tough to be in the same division as Ohio State - one side of Big Ten is loaded with Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State and Ohio State while Wisconsin rules the roost in the west

polamalubeast
11-11-2017, 11:59 AM

Hawkman
11-11-2017, 01:21 PM

No worries now.

86WARD
11-11-2017, 09:18 PM
The choke job against Michigan State really screwed this team...they would’ve been right back in it quite easily had they handled business...

pczach
11-11-2017, 09:57 PM
The choke job against Michigan State really screwed this team...they would’ve been right back in it quite easily had they handled business...

Franklin is a great recruiter. The knock on him is that he isn't a great x's and o's guy.

For the last few games, teams have been bringing a free man off the edge and are continually hitting Saquon Barkley 5 yards in the backfield every time he gets the ball handed to him. They run a lot of RPO stuff, but they haven't made the adjustment to bring the WR around to threaten the jet sweep on the snap. It would hold the defender coming off the edge, and also give them some other options off of that play. They have the most dynamic running back in the country. It's mind-boggling to me that the coaching staff can't find a way to help get the running game going by making adjustments. This if football 101.

I know the offensive line is awful, but there are still some things he can be doing to help create opportunities.

The other thing that drives me nuts is that they do special plays and gimmick plays in games against inferior opponents when they are winning by four touchdowns instead of saving those plays against the tougher opponents on the schedule. If they used just a couple of those special plays successfully that teams haven't seen before against Ohio State and Michigan State, they probably win both of those games.

Some things just don't make sense about the way he coaches IMO.

He's gotten the team back to being a national presence and will continue to get deeper and more talented now that the sanctions that limited scholarships is over and Franklin continues to recruit more talent and his talented young players get experience. I'm not saying they should fire the guy. I'm thankful he is there. I just think he has some deficiencies that may limit his success if he can't figure it out.

86WARD
11-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Franklin is a great recruiter. The knock on him is that he isn't a great x's and o's guy.

For the last few games, teams have been bringing a free man off the edge and are continually hitting Saquon Barkley 5 yards in the backfield every time he gets the ball handed to him. They run a lot of RPO stuff, but they haven't made the adjustment to bring the WR around to threaten the jet sweep on the snap. It would hold the defender coming off the edge, and also give them some other options off of that play. They have the most dynamic running back in the country. It's mind-boggling to me that the coaching staff can't find a way to help get the running game going by making adjustments. This if football 101.

I know the offensive line is awful, but there are still some things he can be doing to help create opportunities.

The other thing that drives me nuts is that they do special plays and gimmick plays in games against inferior opponents when they are winning by four touchdowns instead of saving those plays against the tougher opponents on the schedule. If they used just a couple of those special plays successfully that teams haven't seen before against Ohio State and Michigan State, they probably win both of those games.

Some things just don't make sense about the way he coaches IMO.

He's gotten the team back to being a national presence and will continue to get deeper and more talented now that the sanctions that limited scholarships is over and Franklin continues to recruit more talent and his talented young players get experience. I'm not saying they should fire the guy. I'm thankful he is there. I just think he has some deficiencies that may limit his success if he can't figure it out.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that.

Mojouw
11-11-2017, 10:49 PM
Doesn't some of that speak to a program regaining it's footing and missing good coordinators?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pczach
11-12-2017, 06:24 AM
Doesn't some of that speak to a program regaining it's footing and missing good coordinators?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right. It does. Not everything is Franklin's fault.

I think the coordinators are pretty good. But there are some things that the head coach still has his hands on. For example, when Christian Hackenberg was their quarterback when Franklin took over, he insisted on right handed Hackenberg coming away from center with his left foot back. That made him plant with his wrong foot, and would have to reset himself in the pocket. I believe he completely screwed the kid up. This was pretty well-known around the program.

It is Franklin that brought the Spread offense and the read option to the program. He is the head coach. If he can force a stud pro-style quarterback to change his footwork to incorrect footwork to better fit his offensive scheme, he has the power to tweak the design of the offense to help the running game.

Wins and losses are ultimately the responsibility of the head coach.

They do need more depth. Injuries still hurt them more than most teams because of the limited scholarships for years. Now that Franklin has been there long enough and the full amount of scholarships have been restored, he can now fill his roster with talent that fits the schemes they run. They have been forced to use freshmen and sophomores in a few too many spots because of lack of quality depth.