PDA

View Full Version : Martavis Bryant has requested a trade from the team

Psycho Ward 86
10-15-2017, 08:39 PM
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2017/10/15/16480570/report-steelers-wr-martavis-bryant-requests-trade-from-team-nfl-rumors

Born2Steel
10-15-2017, 08:43 PM
So....what's he unhappy about? Is the process taking too long? Did he not get enough targets to appease his fantasy followers? IDEA Martavis...try blocking for once.

Steelermania
10-15-2017, 08:46 PM
So....what's he unhappy about? Is the process taking too long? Did he not get enough targets to appease his fantasy followers? IDEA Martavis...try blocking for once.

Send him to Cleveland for Coates and a third round pick.

SteelerFanInStl
10-15-2017, 08:46 PM
Trade him then. He's a "me first" player. He dogs it too much. I'd rather see Ju Ju at #2.

Mojouw
10-15-2017, 08:50 PM
This is the same guy that had Ben requesting a trade in 2013 and 2014.

Moose
10-15-2017, 08:51 PM
Trade him then. He's a "me first" player. He dogs it too much. I'd rather see Ju Ju at #2.

Agree 100%

Shoes
10-15-2017, 08:53 PM
This is the same guy that had Ben requesting a trade in 2013 and 2014.

Agreed, he's not going anywhere this season.

AtlantaDan
10-15-2017, 08:56 PM
Guess what Martavis - Steelers will not trade you because with your suspension history and mediocre play this season there is a real question how good you still are after missing a full season and they are not trading you for a #6 pick

Play your ass off and get a big contract from anyone who signs you as a FA after 2018 if they want to risk $$$ on someone who is out of the league for good with their next positive or missed test

Until then go out to dinner and bitch with Eli Rogers about how unfair the NFL is

The JuJu pick keeps looking better and better - maybe Colbert has some clue what he is doing

Shoes
10-15-2017, 09:05 PM
From SD at the bottom, I believe this is Bryants girlfriend, the young lady who just bore him his son a few months back.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/rapoport-martavis-bryant-requested-trade-steelers/

steelreserve
10-15-2017, 09:07 PM
Ordinarily I'd be like, this is a questionable story, where is this clown getting his information ... but it's Bryant, so really anything could be possible.

Mojouw
10-15-2017, 09:09 PM
:rolleyes:

Who cares? Bryant is under contract until 2019 so it doesn't really matter what he wants or doesn't want.

Iron Steeler
10-15-2017, 09:11 PM
We just beat the best team in the league at their stadium. And this Jabroni wants to request a trade?!

Mojouw
10-15-2017, 09:15 PM
Ordinarily I'd be like, this is a questionable story, where is this clown getting his information ... but it's Bryant, so really anything could be possible.

That was my line of thinking as well. Who knows, Rappaport's source might be the girlfriend?!

Anything is possible with any of these guys. But he is cheap, under contract, and talented (in theory) so unless he starts setting fires at the facility or gets stoned again - he isn't going anywhere until the off-season.

At least that is my guess. I've been wrong before and we could wake up tomorrow and Colbert could have him on a plane to the Giants for a bag of kicking tees.

Psycho Ward 86
10-15-2017, 09:16 PM
if this whole spiel is for real, itll leave an interesting predicament for the steelers receiving corp. AB is our Z receiver, but obviously he can play anywhere. Eli Rogers is a pure Z (slot) receiver. Juju is probably best suited as a slot receiver, and his increasing percentage of snaps towards the slot shows that the coaching staff like him there. Juju can definitely however, play in other spots. That leaves us with Justin Hunter, who is pretty much a pure X receiver and the only one left on the roster if Martavis is gone.

Do we really want to see Justin on the field?

43Hitman
10-15-2017, 09:16 PM
Trade him to Miami for Julius Thomas. We could use a play making TE

Psycho Ward 86
10-15-2017, 09:19 PM
That was my line of thinking as well. Who knows, Rappaport's source might be the girlfriend?!

Anything is possible with any of these guys. But he is cheap, under contract, and talented (in theory) so unless he starts setting fires at the facility or gets stoned again - he isn't going anywhere until the off-season.

At least that is my guess. I've been wrong before and we could wake up tomorrow and Colbert could have him on a plane to the Giants for a bag of kicking tees.

With the giants down their top 3 receivers maybe we could get lucky and see them throw the house at us for Bryant? But Bryant has so many question marks and the Giants have essentially thrown away their season anyway so there seems to be little incentive for them to do so at this point

- - - Updated - - -

Trade him to Miami for Julius Thomas. We could use a play making TE

They already have Jarvis Landry, Kenny Stills, and Devante Parker. Doesnt seem to make sense

Craic
10-15-2017, 09:19 PM
I'll take the rumor with a grain of salt. And, since week six has now passed, what reason would there be for him to request it?

Psycho Ward 86
10-15-2017, 09:21 PM

well i guess that clears up the timeline of the trade request (assuming this is all real). I wonder how Bryant feels about it now.

I gotta say, Im really disappointed that Bryant isnt even catching half his targets yet

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-15-2017, 09:21 PM
if this whole spiel is for real, itll leave an interesting predicament for the steelers receiving corp. AB is our Z receiver, but obviously he can play anywhere. Eli Rogers is a pure Z (slot) receiver. Juju is probably best suited as a slot receiver, and his increasing percentage of snaps towards the slot shows that the coaching staff like him there. Juju can definitely however, play in other spots. That leaves us with Justin Hunter, who is pretty much a pure X receiver and the only one left on the roster if Martavis is gone.

Do we really want to see Justin on the field? Be fine with Hunter and want a player who is appreciative for any playing time. Bryant is very Expendable this year, I would expect a call from Stallone for him to be in his latest flick!

Steeldude
10-15-2017, 09:25 PM
If true, it's not surprising. It's rare to find Heath Millers in the NFL today.

10-15-2017, 09:31 PM
If true, it's not surprising. It's rare to find Heath Millers in the NFL today. He's a Ding Bat player.

DesertSteel
10-15-2017, 09:31 PM
More drama...... I thought the season already started. Shouldn't we be talking about the games by now???

Iron Steeler
10-15-2017, 09:36 PM
we better get nothing less then a 2nd round pick if we do follow through with his wishes. Or a play making TE. Or a backup QB thats worth a damn

Shoes
10-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Draft day trade.

BlackAndGold
10-15-2017, 09:58 PM
He is just an immature guy, this team stuck by him after getting suspended for a whole season and he does this smh. Shame he hasn't grown up since his days at Clemson. Just Selfish.

But tbh If I'm the Steelers, I'm not trading him, he is still on his rookie deal and they have him under contract for next season.

teegre
10-15-2017, 10:00 PM
He is just an immature guy, this team stuck by him after getting suspended for a whole season and he does this smh. Shame he hasn't grown up since his days at Clemson. Just Selfish.

But tbh If I'm the Steelers, I'm not trading him, he is still on his rookie deal and they have him under contract for next season.

This.

That said, if I can get a TE or a R2 pick for him, I’d consider it.

10-15-2017, 10:02 PM
we better get nothing less then a 2nd round pick if we do follow through with his wishes. Or a play making TE. Or a backup QB thats worth a damn Trade Bryant and Landry for Hoyer and a 3rd from SF or even a 4th.

st33lersguy
10-15-2017, 10:02 PM
So let's play devil's advocate and say Steelers do trade him. Without AB and likely without a QB of Ben's caliber (even if he's currently not what he was) we'll likely be seeing the headline this time next year saying "Bryant unhappy in (insert city here). Is requesting a trade." Biggest loser of any trade will most likely be Bryant himself as he ends up a taller version of Mike Wallace

fansince'76
10-15-2017, 10:05 PM
We just beat the best team in the league at their stadium. And this Jabroni wants to request a trade?!

My understanding is that this happened weeks ago and is now just coming out. :noidea:

Devilsdancefloor
10-15-2017, 10:08 PM
well it seems like every deep ball is just a little long for him. maybe dive give it a little extra on run plays. wtf id start hunter and let him sit in street cloths

Psycho Ward 86
10-15-2017, 10:08 PM
Draft day trade.

this is a good QB draft so if we find one dropping that we like he would make good bait

AtlantaDan
10-15-2017, 10:26 PM

Remember when I posted in defense of Le'Veon Bell to consider the possibility the players know as much if not more about the game than we do?

There is an exception to every rule - I do not include Martavis in that group - he is physically gifted but continues to give the impression he otherwise is pretty much clueless

teegre
10-15-2017, 10:37 PM
Bryant just tweeted:

“Big win today and tomorrow right back to work tomorrow I am happy to be a steeler and can't wait to reach number 7 this year.”

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2017, 10:57 PM

Who cares? Bryant is under contract until 2019 so it doesn't really matter what he wants or doesn't want.

Sure, but the fact the guy has 1.5 years on his contract and has such potential, I think that gives him some value. Giants and Jets could use WR's. See if they can get a 4th round pick for him and move on to JuJu, Hunter, Rogers, DHB. OR maybe see what you can do in the offseason.

My bet is he violates the substance abuse policy anyways, so see if you can find a sucker like the Bills or Jets to trade for him. To steal a phrase about an old Bears DE....."talent of a Worldbeater, but head of an eggbeater".

AtlantaDan
10-15-2017, 11:06 PM
Bryant just tweeted:

“Big win today and tomorrow right back to work tomorrow I am happy to be a steeler and can't wait to reach number 7 this year.”

Good work by the agent to get that posted

Next job for the agent is to ask Bryant do you tell your girlfriend to STFU and quit posting or do I have to do it?

DesertSteel
10-15-2017, 11:10 PM
Sure, but the fact the guy has 1.5 years on his contract and has such potential, I think that gives him some value. Giants and Jets could use WR's. See if they can get a 4th round pick for him and move on to JuJu, Hunter, Rogers, DHB. OR maybe see what you can do in the offseason.

My bet is he violates the substance abuse policy anyways, so see if you can find a sucker like the Bills or Jets to trade for him. To steal a phrase about an old Bears DE....."talent of a Worldbeater, but head of an eggbeater".
You're right in that all they'd get is a 4th at best. We'd probably have to give up a 6th in addition. People who think trades happen for 1-2 rounders aren't paying attention to the landscape.

BlackAndGold
10-15-2017, 11:52 PM

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2017, 12:27 AM
-He posts insecure tweet when JuJu gets drafted.
-the PG reports Bryant in the dog house and we may see more of Eli Rogers this week
-a source tells ESPN that Bryant is complaining of the sub packages that put JuJu in and take Bryant out.
-a source tells Rappaport Bryant wants a trade.

Now its all fake news? Where there is smoke there is usually fire, or else its just from Santonio Holmes joint. :smokin:

GoSlash27
10-16-2017, 04:50 AM
I saw the name "Ian Rappaport" and immediately tuned out. If there's anything going on, I'll wait to hear it from a reputable source.

SteelMayhem72
10-16-2017, 04:58 AM
I agree with an earlier poster...my bet is he will violate substance abuse policy anyway...some of these players are so dumb. Just like the kneeling for the anthem I think these players know they are dumb but latched on to something they thought would make them look smart but to us made them look more stupid.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

tube517
10-16-2017, 07:12 AM

tube517
10-16-2017, 08:10 AM

AtlantaDan
10-16-2017, 08:14 AM

This quote from the linked article

“One of my teammates from over there told me there was a game plan around me the whole week, so it was good to hear about that, them letting me know that they're cautious about me having a breakout game,” Bryant said. “But we got the win, I'm happy, onto the next one.”

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2017/10/martavis_bryant_vs_kc_chiefs.html#incart_river_ind ex

Transcript of Chiefs coaches breaking down film before Steelers game

Andy Reid: So to sum up, the defensive game plan is to stop Bryant - with 15 catches for 204 yards after 5 weeks the Steelers offense obviously revolves around him - do not recall seeing anyone more impressive than he was after his 5 catches for 21 yards against Jacksonville

Andy - do we know who that guy wearing number 26 is?

Reid: No idea - someone have a Steelers roster?

Andy - do we have any film on number 84?

Reid: Maybe, but why waste time looking at that? The key is stopping Bryant at all costs. Stop Bryant and nobody else on that team can hurt us.

Mojouw
10-16-2017, 09:47 AM
I agree with an earlier poster...my bet is he will violate substance abuse policy anyway...some of these players are so dumb. Just like the kneeling for the anthem I think these players know they are dumb but latched on to something they thought would make them look smart but to us made them look more stupid.

Way to force that into the conversation. But I thought we all just wanted to talk football and leave the politics behind? Isn't this supposed to be a break from the media driven stories and the cares of the world?

AtlantaDan
10-16-2017, 09:49 AM

Spoiler alert - there is a thread about the anthem dispute in The Soapbox

Mojouw
10-16-2017, 09:56 AM
I think this is all pretty hilarious. I have no doubt Bryant is pissed off. While he may have faced adversity in his life outside of football, this is likely the first time he has faced adversity on the football field. Imagine how much of head trip that is for a guy who has likely always taken for granted that on-field success would be there for him. Plus Bryant has not demonstrated himself to be the most stable and rationale guy ever.

So he starts running his mouth to everyone he can find. Likely told the team to "use him or trade him" weeks ago. Everyone likely rolled their eyes as soon as he walked away. He isn't getting traded and one big game will cure what ails Bryant.

I also imagine this kind of stuff happens all the time in a league filled with egos and idiots. Now with social media and everyone wanting to be a "source" we just hear about this stuff. It isn't so much that it is "fake news" it just isn't actionable news!

AtlantaDan
10-16-2017, 10:01 AM
I also imagine this kind of stuff happens all the time in a league filled with egos and idiots. Now with social media and everyone wanting to be a "source" we just hear about this stuff. It isn't so much that it is "fake news" it just isn't actionable news!

Nope - no player in the history of the NFL has ever complained to his wife or his girlfriend about playing time or how he is being used by the coaches or QB

86WARD
10-16-2017, 10:03 AM
How does anyone know it’s not as simple as Bryant saying: “Hey, if I’m not gonna play much, would you consider trading me to a place that I can get more playing time. I’m happy here, but I’d like more playing time.” Then his coked up girlfriend opens her fat mouth.

No one knows the context of the conversation.

Iron Steeler
10-16-2017, 10:56 AM
I saw the name "Ian Rappaport" and immediately tuned out. If there's anything going on, I'll wait to hear it from a reputable source.

Ian Fake Report

DesertSteel
10-16-2017, 11:03 AM
According to the report I read it was after week 5...... that was LAST WEEK, not weeks ago. That said, no way I trade him. He's on the cheap for this year and next. He can suck it up. But...... I'd also like to see a few more targets to him.

AtlantaDan
10-16-2017, 11:13 AM
According to the report I read it was after week 5...... that was LAST WEEK, not weeks ago. That said, no way I trade him. He's on the cheap for this year and next. He can suck it up. But...... I'd also like to see a few more targets to him.

If it was after week five it might have had something to do with both the quality of the 8 targets he received (5 receptions/21 yards on short passes) and Ben forcing the ball to Brown on 19 targets, including INTs 2 and 3.

Recall that Bryant threw shade at AB after the Battle Of The Gatorade Tub

But I agree he is not going anywhere for now unless he decides he will be playing for nobody by blazing to take his troubles away

DesertSteel
10-16-2017, 11:16 AM
Ben also said he "may have lost it" after week 5. Then he got mad at others for questioning his ability when he did it himself. Hopefully Bryant was just frustrated and will turn it around.

Moose
10-16-2017, 11:21 AM
I guess my question would be that if a player really isn't happy being here, how hard will he play ? I do like the idea of getting a good TE though, we definitely need one. But now it seems the rumor was a rumor...... I'm confused. It's just a real good situation having so much talent and only 1 football to play with. :) ( I still would like to see a good TE .... that would be icing on the cake so to speak).

AtlantaDan
10-16-2017, 11:37 AM
I guess my question would be that if a player really isn't happy being here, how hard will he play?

The usual concern is a player quits playing hard after he gets the big contract/signing bonus, not before - if Bryant plans to stay in the NFL past 2018 and get any kind of major multi-year deal he needs to perform given the obvious risk that will go with signing him for a serious bonus

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2017, 11:44 AM
Ben also said he "may have lost it" after week 5. Then he got mad at others for questioning his ability when he did it himself. Hopefully Bryant was just frustrated and will turn it around.

I think Ben was being sarcastic about his performance to reporters. He knows that he didn't play well vs JAX, but he also knows that at least 2 of those picks were the fault of the ball being tipped at the LOS, or JuJu falling down. Ben's play is ability and his career is winding down, but he just doesn't "loose it" completely and the Steelers don't have a better option on the team anyways.

Bryant is actually expendable at this point.

AtlantaDan
10-16-2017, 11:49 AM
No surprise this has now generated the mandatory Hot Takes by the national sports media complex

Stephen A. calls out Bryant for trade request.

Stephen A. Smith is shocked that Steelers RB Martavis Bryant has "the nerve" to want out of Pittsburgh.

"You gotta lot of damn nerve, bro" :sofunny:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/21041713

Bryant is actually expendable at this point.

If only the Steelers would not have traded Bryant's heir apparent Sammie Coates :chuckle:

2017 Gamelog Stats

Week
Opp
Result
Target
Rec
Yard
Avg
TD
Att
Yard
Avg
TD
FPts

at BAL
L 10-24
-
-

at HOU
L 17-33
-

DesertSteel
10-16-2017, 12:03 PM
I think Ben was being sarcastic about his performance to reporters. He knows that he didn't play well vs JAX, but he also knows that at least 2 of those picks were the fault of the ball being tipped at the LOS, or JuJu falling down. Ben's play is ability and his career is winding down, but he just doesn't "loose it" completely and the Steelers don't have a better option on the team anyways.

Bryant is actually expendable at this point.He's expendable based on the first 6 weeks. Maybe Bryant was being sarcastic too!

I'd be up for a trade if:

A. He was costing us anything - which he isn't
B. He'd get us anything - which he won't

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2017, 12:21 PM
He's expendable based on the first 6 weeks. Maybe Bryant was being sarcastic too!

I'd be up for a trade if:

A. He was costing us anything - which he isn't
B. He'd get us anything - which he won't

Maybe he was being sarcastic, but I don't think so. I tend to agree with you on a and partly B, as we might get a 4th round pick out of him and I would take that for a guy that is one hash brownie away from a suspension, that doesn't think he is getting enough passes. Also;

C. if his attitude is detrimental to the locker room.

GBMelBlount
10-16-2017, 12:31 PM
It might be wise to keep giving him opportunities.

If he and Ben can get on the same page by the playoffs, we could be hard to stop.

And if Bryant finishes as strong as he is capable of, it would likely add a lot to his trade value...or we just keep him.

DesertSteel
10-16-2017, 12:33 PM
Maybe he was being sarcastic, but I don't think so. I tend to agree with you on a and partly B, as we might get a 4th round pick out of him and I would take that for a guy that is one hash brownie away from a suspension, that doesn't think he is getting enough passes. Also;

C. if his attitude is detrimental to the locker room.

At this point. C. seems to fit right in with that locker room.

And I don't think Ben was being sarcastic either. He was emotionally depleted and thinking out loud. I look forward to hearing the next stupid thing he has to say on his radio show.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, I'd trade him for Carmelo Anthony.

Shoes
10-16-2017, 01:03 PM
It might be wise to keep giving him opportunities.

If he and Ben can get on the same page by the playoffs, we could be hard to stop.

And if Bryant finishes as strong as he is capable of, it would likely add a lot to his trade value...or we just keep him.

Agreed!

tube517
10-16-2017, 01:09 PM
At this point. C. seems to fit right in with that locker room.

And I don't think Ben was being sarcastic either. He was emotionally depleted and thinking out loud. I look forward to hearing the next stupid thing he has to say on his radio show.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, I'd trade him for Carmelo Anthony.

Close!! He's going to Golden State. LOL

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0711640454671636939-4

Several Steelers players were having fun with Martavis Bryant rumors in the locker room, saying he's getting traded to the Golden State Warriors.

Mojouw
10-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Close!! He's going to Golden State. LOL

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0711640454671636939-4

But....But...But....I thought he was a worthless, selfish player whose toxic outlook was dividing the locker room and sending the team into disarray.

DesertSteel
10-16-2017, 01:20 PM
But....But...But....I thought he was a worthless, selfish player whose toxic outlook was dividing the locker room and sending the team into disarray.
Nobody ever said he was worthless... just selfish and toxic :D

j-d-s
10-16-2017, 01:21 PM
:rolleyes:Who cares? Bryant is under contract until 2019 so it doesn't really matter what he wants or doesn't want.This.Guy should be thankful that he even still has a contract.

Rotorhead
10-16-2017, 02:00 PM
The only way I would trade him would be for a 2nd rnd pick (not going to happen) so we can bundle our 2 2nd's and a first to get Ben's replacement in next years draft.

AtlantaDan
10-16-2017, 05:23 PM
Post-Gazette finally gets around to reporting on Bryant trade request. Either the P-G sat on the story because they did not want to upset the Steelers (a problem with local reporters who can get frozen out of their only beat) or more likely they simply did not want to find out what was going on with Bryant.

While Bryant denied on Monday that he requested a trade, either he or his representatives or some combination did just that two weeks ago, the Post-Gazette has confirmed....

There probably was no coincidence that the news surfaced after the Steelers’ 19-13 victory in Kansas City in which Bryant played less than he has all season.

(http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/16/martavis-bryant-trade-request-Ben-Roethlisberger-Antonio-Brown-JuJu-Smith-Schuster-Chiefs/stories/201710160183)http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/16/martavis-bryant-trade-request-Ben-Roethlisberger-Antonio-Brown-JuJu-Smith-Schuster-Chiefs/stories/201710160183

In his online chat Ray Fittipaldo points to the agent as the source for the story

Ray Fittipaldo:Bryant tweeted last night that he is happy to be a Steeler, but the trade request was put in by his agent two weeks ago....

It did happen. He is apparently unhappy with his usage in the offense. I've asked him point blank about his snaps in recent weeks and he's always said the right things. I guess his agent thought the right time to leak the information was after the Steelers' biggest win of the season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/16/Ray-Fittipaldo-Steelers-chat-10-16-17/stories/201710160155

Sounds like more than some random grousing about getting more touches

Unfortunately this likely is setting up a Bryant relapse that ends his career if he broods about not getting what he wants

Psycho Ward 86
10-16-2017, 06:15 PM
Post-Gazette finally gets around to reporting on Bryant trade request. Either the P-G sat on the story because they did not want to upset the Steelers (a problem with local reporters who can get frozen out of their only beat) or more likely they simply did not want to find out what was going on with Bryant.

While Bryant denied on Monday that he requested a trade, either he or his representatives or some combination did just that two weeks ago, the Post-Gazette has confirmed....

There probably was no coincidence that the news surfaced after the Steelers’ 19-13 victory in Kansas City in which Bryant played less than he has all season.

(http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/16/martavis-bryant-trade-request-Ben-Roethlisberger-Antonio-Brown-JuJu-Smith-Schuster-Chiefs/stories/201710160183)http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/16/martavis-bryant-trade-request-Ben-Roethlisberger-Antonio-Brown-JuJu-Smith-Schuster-Chiefs/stories/201710160183

In his online chat Ray Fittipaldo points to the agent as the source for the story

Ray Fittipaldo:Bryant tweeted last night that he is happy to be a Steeler, but the trade request was put in by his agent two weeks ago....

It did happen. He is apparently unhappy with his usage in the offense. I've asked him point blank about his snaps in recent weeks and he's always said the right things. I guess his agent thought the right time to leak the information was after the Steelers' biggest win of the season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/16/Ray-Fittipaldo-Steelers-chat-10-16-17/stories/201710160155

Sounds like more than some random grousing about getting more touches

Unfortunately this likely is setting up a Bryant relapse that ends his career if he broods about not getting what he wants

Well then I hope if he's still unhappy by years end that he finishes on a blistering high note to up that trade value

AtlantaDan
10-16-2017, 09:30 PM
Well then I hope if he's still unhappy by years end that he finishes on a blistering high note to up that trade value

Dale Lolley has an interesting story on how the Bryant story allegedly was generated and how the sausage gets made when these sorts of rumors get published by national sites

A look inside the Bryant rumor

Last week, news broke that San Francisco linebacker Navarro Bowman had asked the 49ers for a trade.

A day later, he had been released after San Francisco couldn’t find a suitable offer and decided to cut bait with a player that didn’t want to be part of yet another rebuilding process.

Don’t think for a second that didn’t precipitate the news that broke Sunday night that receiver Martavis Bryant’s agent didn’t have that in mind when he leaked out to some choice national media sites that his client had asked the Steelers for a trade. [Lolley wrote that incoherent sentence and I pasted it verbatim]
And you had better believe that is exactly what happened. ...

After Bryant played a season-low 33 snaps and got just three targets that were turned into two catches in Sunday’s win against Kansas City, the bet here is that his agent, Tom Santanello, sprung into action.

After seeing Bowman get set free by the 49ers, you can bet the lightbulb went off in Santanello’s head. He could float the rumor that Bryant had asked for a trade and perhaps either get the ball rolling on that or get the Steelers to release his client to become a free agent.

That could be especially lucrative considering some of the injuries at the receiver position and how many teams just don’t have anyone at the position.

That might work in San Francisco. It wasn’t going to work in Pittsburgh.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20171016/a_look_inside_the_bryant_rumor#.WeVRD3o1f6o.twitte r

So was a trade actually requested two weeks ago or is Bryant's agent just shopping a story that a trade was requested two weeks ago after he saw Bowman get released after demanding a trade last week :confused:

After reading this, it might also explain agents as the sources of stories about post-Chicago anthem turmoil in the Steelers locker room so the players can maintain plausible deniability

SteelMayhem72
10-16-2017, 09:51 PM
Way to force that into the conversation. But I thought we all just wanted to talk football and leave the politics behind? Isn't this supposed to be a break from the media driven stories and the cares of the world?Driving home my point on just how dumb and clueless some of the players are...no need to point the anthem talk to the other thread...it was to make my point. Bryant is an idiot, plain and simple and I think we will never see his full potential because of his decision making. Requesting a trade after being suspended for a year is what kind of person we are dealing with...my bet, he will relapse cause I dont think he can handle it.

st33lersguy
10-16-2017, 10:19 PM
The usual concern is a player quits playing hard after he gets the big contract/signing bonus, not before - if Bryant plans to stay in the NFL past 2018 and get any kind of major multi-year deal he needs to perform given the obvious risk that will go with signing him for a serious bonus

Yep, then there's the Mike Wallace method of dogging it during the contract year and relying on previous productive years to get a big payday

BlackAndGold
10-17-2017, 12:25 AM
Bryant isn't going to get the payday he wants Imo.

One more suspension, he is done.

steelreserve
10-17-2017, 10:22 AM
The "trade demand to get a release" actually makes a lot of sense given Bryant's contract situation. IIRC, by being suspended for a full season, he got an extra year tacked on to his rookie contract. So being released outright wipes the slate clean, and even if he only signs a small deal for the remainder of this season, he's free to go for a much bigger one in the offseason. If he were to go to the Giants or some other injury-decimated squad and show that he has even ok ability left, that could net him a $5M deal somewhere easily, maybe more. Sure beats the hell out of $500K.

Then when the team didn't bite, it was simple enough to backtrack, and no harm done because he's already known as a basket case and his cheap contract makes him too valuable per dollar to just dump out of spite.

DesertSteel
10-17-2017, 10:45 AM
The "I" did not request a trade is true since he knows it was his agent that made the request. This has been confirmed by the beat writers.

tube517
10-17-2017, 11:00 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/roethlisberger-takes-shot-rapoport-says-bryant-doesnt-want-traded/

Roethlisberger Takes Shot At Rapoport; Says Bryant Doesn’t Want To Be Traded :stirthepot: :chuckle:

Mach1
10-17-2017, 11:35 AM
Bryant: 'Everything is good'

Crushing rumors: The atmosphere in the Steelers locker room on Monday afternoon was exactly what it should be coming off a big win over the Kansas City Chiefs.

Guys were joking around, laughing, and some even grabbed ‘courtside seats’ to watch a competitive game of ‘trash can’ basketball.

There was no drama, no distractions, despite the best attempt of some who tried to stir things up via Twitter with a ‘report’ from ‘sources’ that Martavis Bryant has asked for a trade. And yes, it came from the same individual who said Ben Roethlisberger was going to ask for a trade back in 2013.

“No, I am good to go,” said Bryant when directly asked if he requested a trade. “I clarified it last night on my Twitter. I am happy to be here. As far as me getting traded, I would like to get traded to the (Golden State) Warriors.

“Everything is good. I am going to keep on moving and just get better for this week.”

His teammates chimed in too, ready to talk trade in a fun, good-natured way. Basketball trade that is.

“I thought he was talking about getting traded to the (Cleveland) Cavs,” said Ramon Foster. “I thought he wanted to switch sports. I thought he was talking about basketball.

“We are not going to feed into it any more. It’s over. We crushed that. That is done. He cleared it up. We are good.”

The report of the trade request came while the team was flying back from Kansas City, and just like everyone else, they got alerts about it too.

“We all died laughing,” said Pouncey, who joked he was being traded to the Dolphin for his twin brother Mike Pouncey. “We thought it was funny.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-4/Bryant-Everything-is-good/cfbf9f5c-191b-405f-b861-f2a65e08c45c

AtlantaDan
10-17-2017, 11:42 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/roethlisberger-takes-shot-rapoport-says-bryant-doesnt-want-traded/

Roethlisberger Takes Shot At Rapoport; Says Bryant Doesn’t Want To Be Traded :stirthepot: :chuckle:

The Tuesday morning radio appearance continues to deliver the goods

Ben also fires away at the agent and the girlfriend

“Sometimes things come from agents, because they want what they think is best for the player and don't realize that it ends up hurting the player....

Roethlisberger was then asked about the Sunday night tweets from Bryant’s girlfriend that have since been deleted that seemed to support the idea that the wide receiver wants out of Pittsburgh.

“Yeah, and I cant speak on that behalf,” Roethlisberger started. “Obviously, we landed [Sunday night] and we all saw that and I don’t know if it’s one of those things where at home you’ve got a bunch of people that are saying ‘Why aren’t you getting the ball? Why don’t you do this? Why don’t you do that?’ Almost just kind of gassing him up if you will." :sofunny:

After all that Ben's agent did to clean up his Reno and Milledgeville messes, pretty cold to call out agents for not realizing they sometime take actions that hurt their clients :rolleyes3:

DesertSteel
10-17-2017, 12:48 PM
After all that Ben's agent did to clean up his Reno and Milledgeville messes, pretty cold to call out agents for not realizing they sometime take actions that hurt their clients :rolleyes3:
Especially since we know that all agents are fine and upstanding specimens.

AtlantaDan
10-17-2017, 01:04 PM
Especially since we know that all agents are fine and upstanding specimens.

Not every part of the ecosystem is warm and cuddly :chuckle:

cubanstogie
10-19-2017, 02:08 PM
I would trade him to Denver or Giants, or some other team decimated by injuries at the WR position. 4th rounder would be fine. To me his stock has dropped way down from initial burst he had. He is a dime a dozen reciever IMO. I think we all want to like him because he is 6'4 but in reality its not like he has been any good in red zone. Occasional big play is what you get. Hands slightly better than Heyward Beys. Hunter has same size I say give him some touches. With AB, JuJu and Eli , Martavis will never get the touches he thinks he deserves. Not to mention Bell. We can be back to a running team. Martavis will never be the number one priority. Number three at best.

teegre
10-19-2017, 02:13 PM
I would trade him to Denver or Giants, or some other team decimated by injuries at the WR position. 4th rounder would be fine. To me his stock has dropped way down from initial burst he had. He is a dime a dozen reciever IMO. I think we all want to like him because he is 6'4 but in reality its not like he has been any good in red zone. Occasional big play is what you get. Hands slightly better than Heyward Beys. Hunter has same size I say give him some touches. With AB, JuJu and Eli , Martavis will never get the touches he thinks he deserves. Not to mention Bell. We can be back to a running team. Martavis will never be the number one priority. Number three at best.

That said... prior to his suspension, he absolutely was a #1. He had something like 17 TDs in 15 games played, plus the offense was 10 ppg better when he played in those games (10 ppg is HUGE).

IMO, it worth the risk to keep him and hope that that receiver returns... unless we can get a R2 pick (or better) for him.

Born2Steel
10-19-2017, 02:23 PM
That said... prior to his suspension, he absolutely was a #1. He had something like 17 TDs in 15 games played, plus the offense was 10 ppg better when he played in those games (10 ppg is HUGE).

IMO, it worth the risk to keep him and hope that that receiver returns... unless we can get a R2 pick (or better) for him.

A Giants #1 or #2 could be HUGE next draft. I say make the phone call/email/whatever.

cubanstogie
10-19-2017, 02:26 PM

I would be shocked if someone gave up second round pick, happy but shocked. Granted I'm not at practice and don't see the whole picture but I have basically given up hope that he is going to be the player he is capable of. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior, I just don't have faith this guy will turn his life and attitude around. Ju Ju is going to be much better than Martavis. He is a football player, Martavis is just a freakish athlete IMO. Part of me also wants the Steelers to get back to the class organization in the NFL, which they used to be. Lately it seems they are no different the Bengals,Ravens, or Raiders. I know the guy is capable of being like Julio Jones , or AJ Green physically , but when I read he asked for trade I said good riddance.

DesertSteel
10-19-2017, 04:08 PM
Well at least the Randy Moss comparisons have stopped for a while.......... I'd be happy if they started back up. But IMO:

AB is to Jerry Rice
what MB is not to Randy Moss

AtlantaDan
10-19-2017, 04:37 PM
I would be shocked if someone gave up second round pick, happy but shocked.

Gerry Dulac of the P-G agrees

Gerry Dulac: Players who have been suspended for an entire season and are one more strike for another suspension at least that long do not command high draft choices in a trade.

More from Dulac on the agent's shennanigans

Gerry Dulac: It is not out of the realm of possibility for an agent to contact a team representative -- whether the negotiator or GM -- and plant the seed his/her client wants to be traded. It is very much within the realm of possibility for an agent, considering all the circumstances surrounding this particular client, to be stupid enough to do so.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/18/Gerry-Dulac-Steelers-chat-10-18-17/stories/201710180110

When Bryant was waiting for authorization to practice this summer my guess was the delay was at least in part due to Bryant's agent failing to get the paperwork to the league office ASAP regarding how Bryant had set up local support/drug counseling in Pittsburgh.

After this latest cluster maybe Bryant or his girlfriend should shop for a new agent? Perhaps post something on Craigslist.

86WARD
10-19-2017, 04:47 PM
A Giants #1 or #2 could be HUGE next draft. I say make the phone call/email/whatever.

No one is giving up a #1 or #2 for Bryant and definitely not the Giants. Not a chance for several reasons but most importantly, they’ll be able to draft Manning’s replacement this year with the number one pick and then get a good WR or RB with no baggage, no drug history, clean NFL record, etc. Basically, they’re eliminated from any playoff run, why would they give up their future for Bryant...who may or may not sign there when his deal is up.

Best you might get for him is a 4th round pick from someone looking to rent a player that is making a playoff run...like KC...you’re also selling him at the lowest possible value. It’s not like he’s been tearing up the league lately...

AtlantaDan
10-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Best you might get for him is a 4th round pick from someone looking to rent a player that is making a playoff run...like KC...you’re also selling him at the lowest possible value. It’s not like he’s been tearing up the league lately...

I doubt Steelers would trade him within the AFC to any contender for a bag of donuts and then possibly have him burn them in playoff game

DesertSteel
10-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Steelers won't trade him for the same reason they didn't cut him after the suspension: he's costing them next to nothing!! They'd be fools to let him go and they aren't the Browns.

pczach
10-19-2017, 10:01 PM
He's under contract for a very reasonable price. Yes, he was suspended for an entire year and he is one strike away from being out of the NFL, but he is a talented player that didn't play football for an entire year and has changed his body a bit.

If he plays hard and gives great effort, the results are going to come. He will adjust to his body as the year goes on, and the game will come to him more easily.

They are just starting to show signs of breaking out offensively. You don't jettison your #2 receiver and best big play threat mid-season. He's a bargain if he gets his shit together, and could be the reason the offense goes off the second half of the year and into the playoffs.

I just don't see it happening this season. Things would have to become a total shit show for that to happen IMO.

Count Steeler
10-20-2017, 05:08 AM
He is also not on drugs anymore. I'm sure his game perception needs to come around.

teegre
10-20-2017, 06:28 AM
He is also not on drugs anymore. I'm sure his game perception needs to come around.

That’s actually a very good point. His current perception (sober) of things has beeen greatly altered from two seasons ago (high). No joke. That is a thing.

DesertSteel
10-20-2017, 10:49 AM
Is Ben overthrowing him or is MB under running the route?

Mojouw
10-20-2017, 10:57 AM
Is Ben overthrowing him or is MB under running the route?

Since Ben has been missing other receivers deep, I'm gonna say this is 70% a Ben problem.

Maybe like 30% a Bryant problem on timing and crisp route running - that still has to be rusty against live competition.

43Hitman
10-20-2017, 11:14 AM
That’s actually a very good point. His current perception (sober) of things has beeen greatly altered from two seasons ago (high). No joke. That is a thing.
I described this very thing in one of the other MB threads. I was a smoker for over 20 years and when I quit it dramatically affected my pool game. I had to develop a completely different mindset, I know longer had the crutch of a cigarette to calm my nerves anymore. There was and adjustment period for sure.

AtlantaDan
10-20-2017, 12:10 PM
Since Ben has been missing other receivers deep, I'm gonna say this is 70% a Ben problem.

Bill Simmons (who is still bitter about betting the Steelers to beat Jax as part of a teaser bet two weeks ago) on 2017 Ben :chuckle:

I lost money on Ben Roethlisberger (during his Cap Rooney–Dennis Quaid season)...

Roethlisberger is Bortles with better PR at this point. The Steelers beat the Chiefs only because of Andy Reid and Ben’s hideous floater into double coverage that magically transformed into an Antonio Brown TD. Has Big Ben entered the Lucky Dad Golfer Stage where he’s going to be duck-hooking drives that careen off trees and land right in the fairway ŕ la Peyton Manning from 2012 through 2014? Possibly.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/10/20/16507636/week-7-nfl-picks-mailbag-nba

The Cap Rooney comparison for anyone who recalls the Oliver Stone movie Any Given Sunday is pretty good

DesertSteel
10-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Bill Simmons is Dennis Miller on MNF...

teegre
10-20-2017, 02:06 PM
I described this very thing in one of the other MB threads. I was a smoker for over 20 years and when I quit it dramatically affected my pool game. I had to develop a completely different mindset, I know longer had the crutch of a cigarette to calm my nerves anymore. There was and adjustment period for sure.

:nod:

AtlantaDan
10-20-2017, 03:38 PM
Bill Simmons is Dennis Miller on MNF...

He is selling an act and no longer doing close to his best work but making a lot more than Miller ever did - do not recall Miller ever coming up with pitching sports programming like the ESPN 30 for 30 documentaries or being the power at NBC or ABC that Simmons was at ESPN until senior executives got fed up with him

First major sportswriter who was successful writing for an online rather than print audience where you were not limited by available column inches in the paper and did not need to go to the games to write about them the next day since access to the players and coaches was highly overrated once they were making so much $$ they did not have to give meaningful access rather than boilerplate quotes to sell the sport

Dennis Miller never wrote anything like this on the Red Sox 2003 loss in game 7 of the ALCS to the Yankees - one of the best pieces I have ever read on what it is like as a fan to have your team lose a heartbreaking game, with a classic opening line

Twenty minutes after the Yankees eliminated the Sox, I called my father to make sure he was still alive.

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/031017

cubanstogie
10-20-2017, 05:17 PM
when Steelers win the SB we are going to look back at a lot of idiotic threads and comments by the media. It reminds me of when Brady had a bad start and they got crushed by KC at beginning of year and they actually started to write off Tom Brady. I really did hope they were right, but no, NE won SB that year. Consistency is not what makes Ben great. He is more like Favre or Elway, a big play QB who does have some awful games. I can live with that, during regular season anyway. I would be shocked if he is still slumping at end of season into playoffs. I think at his age the playoffs is what gets him fired up, and an early season game against the Jags or Bears really doesn't. It would be nice to have home field throughout playoffs though. Its not like he has lost another step or two since last year or his arm looks like a noodle. I could see a SB win then retire.

DesertSteel
10-21-2017, 10:04 AM
He is selling an act and no longer doing close to his best work but making a lot more than Miller ever did - do not recall Miller ever coming up with pitching sports programming like the ESPN 30 for 30 documentaries or being the power at NBC or ABC that Simmons was at ESPN until senior executives got fed up with him

First major sportswriter who was successful writing for an online rather than print audience where you were not limited by available column inches in the paper and did not need to go to the games to write about them the next day since access to the players and coaches was highly overrated once they were making so much $$ they did not have to give meaningful access rather than boilerplate quotes to sell the sport

Dennis Miller never wrote anything like this on the Red Sox 2003 loss in game 7 of the ALCS to the Yankees - one of the best pieces I have ever read on what it is like as a fan to have your team lose a heartbreaking game, with a classic opening line

Twenty minutes after the Yankees eliminated the Sox, I called my father to make sure he was still alive.

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/031017
He is successful at what he does. Miller was successful as a comedian. Simmons is not my cup of tea (neither was Miller). I'm not sure why you're comparing Miller's writing since he wasn't one. That wasn't my point. They're both snarky and I don't care much for that when it comes to sports. For example, I can't stand listening to Dan LebRetard.

AtlantaDan
10-21-2017, 11:00 AM
He is successful at what he does. Miller was successful as a comedian. Simmons is not my cup of tea (neither was Miller). I'm not sure why you're comparing Miller's writing since he wasn't one. That wasn't my point. They're both snarky and I don't care much for that when it comes to sports. For example, I can't stand listening to Dan LebRetard.

You did not say he was like Miller on SNL, which was comedy - you raised the comparison to Miller on MNF, which was sports - did not know you wanted to limit it to TV sports commentary rather than refer to Simmons overall body of work

If you want to measure it by income or influence on their chosen occupation (comedy for Miler/sports commentary for Simmons), IMO Simmons has left the bigger impact

Understood how Simmons is not to everyone's taste just as Jim Nantz is on every major sports event broadcast by CBS and I wish he would be gone - success does not mean universally admired in any field

:drink:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-21-2017, 12:54 PM

I didn't like LeBatard much when I heard him earlier, but if you just listen to it with the mindset that its not a serious sports show, but rather one where they confront some of the silly assertions of sports and life with equal silliness and humor....then its actually entertaining.

Bill Simmons writes some pretty entertaining stuff and as a fan of the Celtics, I get a kick out of him being such a blatant homer. But I also realize that he is most likely a whiny little weasel that got stuffed in the locker a lot in highschool and is less of an athlete than Adam Scheffter, but somehow writes on sports as if he is experienced in it. I guess my point is that in my opinion, I enjoy most of these guys for what they are and just listen to it. The media that I don't like are the DB's like Bayless and Cowherd, who just instigate conversation by taking the most irritating point, or lying to start a discussion.

teegre
10-21-2017, 01:12 PM
re: LeBatard

Ben McAdoo looks like...

...the guy holding up the checkout line at 7-11, because he’s cashing in a month’s worth of lottery scratchers.

...the father of an unathletic freshman who didn’t make the JV baseball team due to “politics”.

...the manager of Hot Tubs ‘R’ Us.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-21-2017, 02:49 PM
re: LeBatard

Ben McAdoo looks like...

...the guy holding up the checkout line at 7-11, because he’s cashing in a month’s worth of lottery scratchers.

...the father of an unathletic freshman who didn’t make the JV baseball team due to “politics”.

...the manager of Hot Tubs ‘R’ Us.

:applaudit:

LeBatard calling in to Bud Grant's annual garage sale to discuss the sale of hunting rifles.

https://twitter.com/lebatardshow/status/732605663298326528?lang=en

DesertSteel
10-21-2017, 04:37 PM
I didn't like LeBatard much when I heard him earlier, but if you just listen to it with the mindset that its not a serious sports show, but rather one where they confront some of the silly assertions of sports and life with equal silliness and humor....then its actually entertaining.

Bill Simmons writes some pretty entertaining stuff and as a fan of the Celtics, I get a kick out of him being such a blatant homer. But I also realize that he is most likely a whiny little weasel that got stuffed in the locker a lot in highschool and is less of an athlete than Adam Scheffter, but somehow writes on sports as if he is experienced in it. I guess my point is that in my opinion, I enjoy most of these guys for what they are and just listen to it. The media that I don't like are the DB's like Bayless and Cowherd, who just instigate conversation by taking the most irritating point, or lying to start a discussion.
I get all your points but I just take Simmons seriously when he’s breaking down Ben’s problems when Simmons know nothing about playing QB.

- - - Updated - - -

And I get your point on Leb, but the problem is that he at times wants me to suddenly take him seriously about sports when he turns on that switch. Sorry. Can’t take him seriously. But he does make some funny observations.