10-15-2017, 06:44 PM
Heroes: AB, LB, O-line, V.Williams

and the old guy:

GBMelBlount
10-15-2017, 06:47 PM
Brown.

Hands down.

That touchdown was ridiculous.

I have never seen a receiver with such intense focus and body control for making plays.

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/919712045066579968/photo/1

BlackAndGold
10-15-2017, 06:48 PM
Bell(BEST RB IN THE NFL), Brown(BEST WR IN THE NFL), o-line, defense(pass defense started to fall apart in the 4th), Ben for not turning the ball over 5 times.
My only complaints today: 1. They left plays on the field today offensively Imo. 2. Butler needs to stop with the 3 man rushes on defense, gives QB's too much time to find holes in the zones, helped KC get back into the game. 3. Wtf was Burns doing today after starting strong.

st33lersguy
10-15-2017, 06:48 PM
Heroes: Bell, AB, Deebo, and the rest of the defense for most of the day

Goats: Todd Haley and the refs who tried to get KC to win

Craic
10-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Heroes: Defense. Bell. Burns made several great plays as well, but I'll give him an HM instead.

Goats: Haley. Going 5-wide on third down so many times was shameful. At least keep Bell in to chip at someone before a swing pattern. HM Goat. Jordan Berry. Short kick when we needed a deep kick, then on the last punt, he outkicks the coverage that creates a nice return. If you're going to outkick the coverage, put the ball OB.

LMBO at everyone giving Deebo a place as a Hero. Sure, he had a couple nice plays at the end, but Hilton, the entire d-line, and half the CBs deserve it more than him for the entire game they played. I'd give him an HM though.

Psycho Ward 86
10-15-2017, 06:55 PM
Game balls:

Defense: Tuitt...constant nonstop pressure. Williams missed a tackle on one of Kareem Hunt's big plays but otherwise he had 2 drive destroying sacks and a lot of great run tackles. Its about time Williams had a good game, he had been underwhelming for most of the season.

Offense: Bell for playing like vintage Bell. Damn I wish Finney wouldnt have held on that ridiculous run that got called back. Would have put Bell over 200. And AB for being a closer and ridiculous hands on that TD catch. Tired of our offense playing like its allergic to the endzone when we have to hold the lead, but glad that AB was going for the kill all along.

Special shout out to Mike Hilton: He had some great screen killing tackles and his CB blitzes are becoming the stuff of nightmares. There were a bunch of plays where Smith had receivers wide open but had to misfire because Hilton brought the heat. 2 or 3 of those Hilton blitzes arguably saved multiple touchdowns

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-15-2017, 06:55 PM
Hilton is a good one we always forget and love his speed and play.

Mojouw
10-15-2017, 06:59 PM
Hilton got a one armed tackle on Kelce for a loss while engaged with a blocker? Ridiculous.

Burns is still learning how to play zone. Saw those growing pains today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-15-2017, 07:00 PM
Burns knock is he truly has tackle issues.

Steeldude
10-15-2017, 07:03 PM
I gave Burns the Goat Award, not just because he left players open, but because he gave zero effort after missing his tackle on the Chiefs TD pass. He literally didn't even try to hustle back up to attempt another tackle. He let Thomas run in the endzone. I would bench him if I was the HC. Sorry, I know that will upset certain fans here, but I have zero tolerance for willful laziness/lack of effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FKM_cBBTHM

Start watching Burns at about the 7:48 mark in the video.

ALLD
10-15-2017, 07:03 PM
Bell was the best player on either team today. The holding call on Finney was a phantom hold call designed to keep KC in the game. I think Haley not calling 3 pass plays at the 2 was a needed change. The prevent defense needs to go, don't give away yards like that anymore.

tube517
10-15-2017, 07:28 PM
Game balls:

Defense: Tuitt...constant nonstop pressure. Williams missed a tackle on one of Kareem Hunt's big plays but otherwise he had 2 drive destroying sacks and a lot of great run tackles. Its about time Williams had a good game, he had been underwhelming for most of the season.

Offense: Bell for playing like vintage Bell. Damn I wish Finney wouldnt have held on that ridiculous run that got called back. Would have put Bell over 200. And AB for being a closer and ridiculous hands on that TD catch. Tired of our offense playing like its allergic to the endzone when we have to hold the lead, but glad that AB was going for the kill all along.

Special shout out to Mike Hilton: He had some great screen killing tackles and his CB blitzes are becoming the stuff of nightmares. There were a bunch of plays where Smith had receivers wide open but had to misfire because Hilton brought the heat. 2 or 3 of those Hilton blitzes arguably saved multiple touchdowns

Hilton is a sparkplug. He brings it every week.

10-15-2017, 07:46 PM
I gave Burns the Goat Award, not just because he left players open, but because he gave zero effort after missing his tackle on the Chiefs TD pass. He literally didn't even try to hustle back up to attempt another tackle. He let Thomas run in the endzone. I would bench him if I was the HC. Sorry, I know that will upset certain fans here, but I have zero tolerance for willful laziness/lack of effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FKM_cBBTHM

Start watching Burns at about the 7:48 mark in the video. Yea Archie we agree Meathead Burns does not like to tackle and is very bad at it. Why I said the knock on him he deserves it!

Butch
10-15-2017, 11:06 PM
The D came to play once again and good to see Bell bring it as well.

AB was not a hero in my books the muffed punt not only gave KC momentum, but also gave them the lead be it only 1 point. Also the Int. was not on Ben AB did not run the route. All that being said that was a helluva catch so he's not a goat, but he was damn close.

Goat NEVER EVER rush just 3 it has NEVER EVER paid off in our favor. Bubble screen needs to be permanently removed from the books and burned and don't leave out the copy that Jay Glacier has.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2017, 12:02 AM
Burns is still learning how to play zone. Saw those growing pains today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What difficult concept about the fact that he only has the right side boundary in pass coverage is still excusable as "growing pains"?

Burns was flat footed and staring in the backfield, while DeAnthony Thomas was 15 yards behind him. That is college sophomore level of play in zone coverage. The other one where he bailed out to leave Robinson alone was another huge mistake that could have easily been another TD. Its not growing pains, its not doing a basic job as a boundary CB.

hawaiiansteeler
10-16-2017, 12:18 AM
the red zone play calling by Haley was atrocious, wtf was he thinking? :huh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2017, 12:32 AM

He's thinking that the refs should call the pass interference when the LB grabs Bell by the waist on a slant.
He's also thinking that Finney should not give the D lineman in front of him a free run at Bell on a handoff to the left side.
He's also thinking that message board posters do not know much about calling plays in an FBS game, let alone an NFL game......but it works in Madden.

hawaiiansteeler
10-16-2017, 12:37 AM
He's thinking that the refs should call the pass interference when the LB grabs Bell by the waist on a slant.
He's also thinking that Finney should not give the D lineman in front of him a free run at Bell on a handoff to the left side.
He's also thinking that message board posters do not know much about calling plays in an FBS game, let alone an NFL game......but it works in Madden.

oh ok, I'm glad you know how Todd Haley's mind works. only you truly know football because you're such an expert, no one else does :jerkit:

10-16-2017, 12:43 AM
Heroes- The Stars on this team shined bright
Goats- The general public who bet on the Chiefs

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2017, 12:45 AM
oh ok, I'm glad you know how Todd Haley's mind works. only you truly know football because you're such an expert, no one else does :jerkit:

The Haley Haters blame his scheme for 5 INT's and a loss to the Jags. When Haley's offense puts up 439 yards and helps beat the only undefeated team on the road, then the Haley Haters complain about his playcalling. :rofl2:

Haters gonna hate I guess.

hawaiiansteeler
10-16-2017, 01:13 AM
The Haley Haters blame his scheme for 5 INT's and a loss to the Jags. When Haley's offense puts up 439 yards and helps beat the only undefeated team on the road, then the Haley Haters complain about his playcalling. :rofl2:

Haters gonna hate I guess.

I'm not a Haley hater, was merely making an observation about the game. might want to get your facts straight before you post your pompous schtick...

Craic
10-16-2017, 02:26 AM
Start watching Burns at about the 7:48 mark in the video.

Don't know about all that. I went to watch the video thinking he was lounging or something, and was completely prepared to come back and state how stupid it was. However, that's not what I saw. What I saw was him missing a tackle and losing his footing. He didn't gain his footing until the player was quite a ways away from him, then, when the guy did cut back and Burns finally had his footing again, Burns started after the guy, but the he was already past Burns and almost to the endzone. Could Burns have tried a bit harder? Sure. But he wouldn't have caught him. It probably seemed as an unnecessary expenditure of energy racing to the endzone. Of course, players like Watt and others make that expenditure, and at times, strange plays come from it that help the Steelers.

So, I'm not ready to bench the guy over it. But if I were the coach, I'd take him aside in the film room and tell him that yeah, you need to hustle until the player literally crosses the endzone.

Steeldude
10-16-2017, 03:07 AM
Don't know about all that. I went to watch the video thinking he was lounging or something, and was completely prepared to come back and state how stupid it was. However, that's not what I saw. What I saw was him missing a tackle and losing his footing. He didn't gain his footing until the player was quite a ways away from him, then, when the guy did cut back and Burns finally had his footing again, Burns started after the guy, but the he was already past Burns and almost to the endzone. Could Burns have tried a bit harder? Sure. But he wouldn't have caught him. It probably seemed as an unnecessary expenditure of energy racing to the endzone. Of course, players like Watt and others make that expenditure, and at times, strange plays come from it that help the Steelers.

So, I'm not ready to bench the guy over it. But if I were the coach, I'd take him aside in the film room and tell him that yeah, you need to hustle until the player literally crosses the endzone.

It's the same thing he did the other week. He could have got to him if he tried. He had an angle to tackle him again.

I believe he is still 0 tackles vs the run too.

Craic
10-16-2017, 03:42 AM
It's the same thing he did the other week. He could have got to him if he tried. He had an angle to tackle him again.

I believe he is still 0 tackles vs the run too.

So, you're saying he's intentionally taking himself out of plays so that he's not having to tackle? Or, at the very least, not having to be the first man in on a tackle? I'm not saying that with snark. Just wondering if that's what you're getting at. If so, I think it's reading a little too much into this play. However, put this play with the one from a couple weeks ago and I might be persuaded it is, at the very least, a possibility.

Steeldude
10-16-2017, 04:29 AM
So, you're saying he's intentionally taking himself out of plays so that he's not having to tackle? Or, at the very least, not having to be the first man in on a tackle? I'm not saying that with snark. Just wondering if that's what you're getting at. If so, I think it's reading a little too much into this play. However, put this play with the one from a couple weeks ago and I might be persuaded it is, at the very least, a possibility.

That acting was really bad in the Bears' game. I am saying he deliberately gave little to no effort in stopping the play against the Chiefs' Thomas. It also appears he didn't care to stop Thomas. In the Bears' game he didn't try at all to tackle the RB.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/artie-burns-bowing-run/

Unless Burns has severe atrophy in his quads. I'm 47 with bad knees, but I have better spring in my step than that.

teegre
10-16-2017, 06:09 AM

The red-zone offense has been bad for a long, long time.

If I could “cure” one woe for this team, it’d be red-zone efficiency.

SteelMember
10-16-2017, 08:08 AM
Props to Bell and the run blocking. Pretty much dominated TOP and the game in general

Goat... I guess I will say the Brown/Juju free kick. You've got to field that. Instead they let it bounce like a punt. Bad play. Momentum killer.

Gotta also call out Mike Mitchell. Compounds a made to order sack into a personal foul on the QB. That was a selfish, frustration play.
He also had a helmet to helmet on the side line that could have been called. And once again stood over a guy yelling like an idiot while he's still on the ground.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2017, 08:25 AM
I'm not a Haley hater, was merely making an observation about the game. might want to get your facts straight before you post your pompous schtick...

How many times were the Steelers in the red zone yesterday? Answer is twice.
How many points did the Steelers get in those 2 trips? Answer is 10.
On the trip they only got 3 points, 2 of the 3 plays from "and goal" situation were a non called PI on Derrick Johnson and a missed block from left side of the line that resulted in a 4 yard loss on Bell's run.

So how is that kind of red zone performance "atrocious" as you say? How was Haley's play calling in the red zone causing the missed block and the non called PI?

My apologies, but if you are not a Haley hater, then I really don't know what issue you have with the fact that the Steelers got to the red zone 2 times and scored a TD on 1 and should have had another if it wasn't for missed blocks and a missed interference call that even Tony Romo said Johnson got away with, that resulted in the FG. :noidea:

tube517
10-16-2017, 09:07 AM

Fire Everyone!!!!

Iron Steeler
10-16-2017, 09:24 AM
Heroes :
1.Brown - Holy shit play
2.Bell - Played dominate.... ( ALTHOUGH THAT PATIENCE ON THAT 3RD DOWN CATCH PISSED ME OFF. JUST CHOOSE A DIRECTION AND RUN FOR THE FIRST DOWN. HE WAS A YARD SHORT BY GETTING TOO CUTE)

3.Tuitt: Was giving Alex Smith nightmares and happy feet.

Goat: 3RD Down offense. We could not sustain a drive

Honorable Mention :

1.Hilton, his blitzing and ability to cover slot/ crossing routes
2.Harrison, for making Fisher his b***h again and closing out the game with a DEEBO SACK

Mojouw
10-16-2017, 09:41 AM
What difficult concept about the fact that he only has the right side boundary in pass coverage is still excusable as "growing pains"?

Burns was flat footed and staring in the backfield, while DeAnthony Thomas was 15 yards behind him. That is college sophomore level of play in zone coverage. The other one where he bailed out to leave Robinson alone was another huge mistake that could have easily been another TD. Its not growing pains, its not doing a basic job as a boundary CB.

Playing CB at anything other than "run around with the guy across from you" finds Burns at a low-level of mental knowledge and reps. Because he basically is a college sophomore in experience/coaching. He came out after his Junior year due to his families only income source unexpectedly passing. His entire career at Miami (not a known bastion of technique based coaching) he was split between track and football. Burns is so raw and I suspect he is kinda dumb too. He basically gets by on athleticism and whatever fractional percentage of his assignment he actually remembers in a given coverage scheme.

Nowhere did I say that anyone should find Burns' mental lapses excusable. But I do think it is possible to understand why they are happening w/out resorting to "ZOMG! Burns is awful!".

Interestingly enough, Burns seems to still be finding more initial playing time than Apple, Jackson, and Alexander. And having an impact on par with an CB in the class not named Ramsey.

I think Burns will continue to run hot and cold as well as make glaring mental gaffes. He strikes me as a player that runs almost purely on emotion.

86WARD
10-16-2017, 10:07 AM
Heroes: Vince Williams, Hilton, LeVeon Bell, Ben.

Goats: AB, Burns

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2017, 10:08 AM
Playing CB at anything other than "run around with the guy across from you" finds Burns at a low-level of mental knowledge and reps. Because he basically is a college sophomore in experience/coaching. He came out after his Junior year due to his families only income source unexpectedly passing. His entire career at Miami (not a known bastion of technique based coaching) he was split between track and football. Burns is so raw and I suspect he is kinda dumb too. He basically gets by on athleticism and whatever fractional percentage of his assignment he actually remembers in a given coverage scheme.

Nowhere did I say that anyone should find Burns' mental lapses excusable. But I do think it is possible to understand why they are happening w/out resorting to "ZOMG! Burns is awful!".

Interestingly enough, Burns seems to still be finding more initial playing time than Apple, Jackson, and Alexander. And having an impact on par with an CB in the class not named Ramsey.

I think Burns will continue to run hot and cold as well as make glaring mental gaffes. He strikes me as a player that runs almost purely on emotion.

OK, I still just don't understand why Burns gets such a pass from fans for such terrible plays like yesterday in coverage, or in Chicago for playing matador on tackling, while other guys like Keenan Lewis or Cortez Allen were just crucified by fans for their mistakes as 2nd year corners.

Burns has been playing zone for approx. 1 year in the Steelers system and should not be flat footed and letting a receiver behind him like he did, nor in the corner of the end zone. There really is no excuse and he needs to be better. Your assessment of playing on emotion is interesting as I find it curious he runs around, celebrates and gets in guys faces when doing his job, yet stares dead faced and looks around, seemingly seeking somebodys approval or explanation when he makes a bonehead play like that.

Burns is improving and is definitely an asset to the defense, but plays like those are just stuff that UDFA's know where to be and how to put the effort in to get in their zone, or try and make a tackle. Most fans give him a white glove treatment though, and I don't know if its sympathy or hope. I just don't see it as objective.

DesertSteel
10-16-2017, 11:10 AM
It's nice that the Steelers can be the #1 passing defense in the NFL and still find lots of room for improvement.

hawaiiansteeler
10-16-2017, 11:15 AM
How many times were the Steelers in the red zone yesterday? Answer is twice.
How many points did the Steelers get in those 2 trips? Answer is 10.
On the trip they only got 3 points, 2 of the 3 plays from "and goal" situation were a non called PI on Derrick Johnson and a missed block from left side of the line that resulted in a 4 yard loss on Bell's run.

So how is that kind of red zone performance "atrocious" as you say? How was Haley's play calling in the red zone causing the missed block and the non called PI?

My apologies, but if you are not a Haley hater, then I really don't know what issue you have with the fact that the Steelers got to the red zone 2 times and scored a TD on 1 and should have had another if it wasn't for missed blocks and a missed interference call that even Tony Romo said Johnson got away with, that resulted in the FG. :noidea:

I guess my issue is with you being a know it all condescending jerk more than anything else, why don't you get off your high horse and stop trying to act superior to your other Steelers members?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2017, 11:39 AM
I guess my issue is with you being a know it all condescending jerk more than anything else, why don't you get off your high horse and stop trying to act superior to your other Steelers members?

My apologies if it comes off that way.

I guess that when people make comments and assertions like " Haley's red zone playcalling is atrocious", when it accounted for 10 points out of 14 and the 4 points left on the field were actually not the fault of the OC it was directed at I sometimes confront those posts with sarcasm. Sorry to have directed my sarcasm at you and create hard feelings.

Mojouw
10-16-2017, 02:20 PM
OK, I still just don't understand why Burns gets such a pass from fans for such terrible plays like yesterday in coverage, or in Chicago for playing matador on tackling, while other guys like Keenan Lewis or Cortez Allen were just crucified by fans for their mistakes as 2nd year corners.

Burns has been playing zone for approx. 1 year in the Steelers system and should not be flat footed and letting a receiver behind him like he did, nor in the corner of the end zone. There really is no excuse and he needs to be better. Your assessment of playing on emotion is interesting as I find it curious he runs around, celebrates and gets in guys faces when doing his job, yet stares dead faced and looks around, seemingly seeking somebodys approval or explanation when he makes a bonehead play like that.

Burns is improving and is definitely an asset to the defense, but plays like those are just stuff that UDFA's know where to be and how to put the effort in to get in their zone, or try and make a tackle. Most fans give him a white glove treatment though, and I don't know if its sympathy or hope. I just don't see it as objective.

I can't speak to why some folks get on some players and not others. I do know that every Sunday that I actually watch other games - I see DBs blowing coverages, losing guys in space, peeking into the backfield and guessing, missing tackles, etc. It happens in every game on almost every play.

I just can't get too worked up with keeping track of what players are doing what errors on a per game basis. I think there were 34 pass plays run by KC. 2 coverages that Burns glaringly blew. That means 32 plays he was potentially doing what he was intended to do. What I am supposed to make of that?

I see a pattern of more good than bad with Burns. Is he a flawed player? Certainly - his run support remains an issue and his attention to detail seems a bit dodgy currently.

DesertSteel
10-16-2017, 02:24 PM
I can't speak to why some folks get on some players and not others. I do know that every Sunday that I actually watch other games - I see DBs blowing coverages, losing guys in space, peeking into the backfield and guessing, missing tackles, etc. It happens in every game on almost every play.

I just can't get too worked up with keeping track of what players are doing what errors on a per game basis. I think there were 34 pass plays run by KC. 2 coverages that Burns glaringly blew. That means 32 plays he was potentially doing what he was intended to do. What I am supposed to make of that?

I see a pattern of more good than bad with Burns. Is he a flawed player? Certainly - his run support remains an issue and his attention to detail seems a bit dodgy currently.

I agree 100%

steel striker
10-16-2017, 02:41 PM
Stating the obvious Bell & Defense & Brown what a play on that catch!! Mike Mitchell still worries me.

Psycho Ward 86
10-16-2017, 03:12 PM
Burns became pretty good against the run down the stretch last season after being god awful for the first few. im not buying the argument that Burns' lack of run tackles this season is due to a lack of effort or him being a wuss. Hell, he LED out cornerbacks in run tackles last season. We all do realize the defense held the Chiefs to less than 50 yards of offense until near the end of the 3rd quarter right? Burns was a big part of that and still managed some key pass breakups. In a game full of great defensive performances i think that can be easily forgotten.

In other news, Davis finally seems to be rounding back into form. Nice job sniffing out screens and that pass breakup that could have been a TD was unconventional but a thing of beauty

Mojouw
10-16-2017, 05:51 PM
Some more perspective on Burns: Hargreaves was taken 2 or 3 CBs before Burns in the first and everyone figured he was gonna be a star. He has completely struggled this season:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11298/vernon-hargreaves -- "Hargreaves is Pro Football Focus' No. 108 cover corner out of 112 qualifiers and has given up the third-most yards in his coverage of those 112 corners."

Same with Eli Apple:
"The only constant has been Apple's struggles. It sounds like further reduced playing time could be in the cards." -- http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11332/eli-apple

ALexander got redshirted on IR last year even though he was practicing because Vikings figured he wasn't ready. Appears to be more of the same this year:
"Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said second-year CB Mackensie Alexander needs to "understand his assignments better." -- http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11269/mackensie-alexander

William Jackson III is still the 3rd or 4th CB on the Bengals after an injury red-shirt year essentially.

What is my point? Most DBs take a few years to develop. It appears that Burns is either on par or ahead of every DB in his draft cohort besides Jalen Ramsey. I mean Burns still doesn't always tackle well, celebrates tying his shoes, and is not assignment sound on each and every play. But at least he can get on the field and put in a legit NFL caliber performance. Most of his draft class can not say the same thing.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-16-2017, 06:01 PM
Some more perspective on Burns: Hargreaves was taken 2 or 3 CBs before Burns in the first and everyone figured he was gonna be a star. He has completely struggled this season:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11298/vernon-hargreaves -- "Hargreaves is Pro Football Focus' No. 108 cover corner out of 112 qualifiers and has given up the third-most yards in his coverage of those 112 corners."

Same with Eli Apple:
"The only constant has been Apple's struggles. It sounds like further reduced playing time could be in the cards." -- http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11332/eli-apple

ALexander got redshirted on IR last year even though he was practicing because Vikings figured he wasn't ready. Appears to be more of the same this year:
"Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said second-year CB Mackensie Alexander needs to "understand his assignments better." -- http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11269/mackensie-alexander

William Jackson III is still the 3rd or 4th CB on the Bengals after an injury red-shirt year essentially.

What is my point? Most DBs take a few years to develop. It appears that Burns is either on par or ahead of every DB in his draft cohort besides Jalen Ramsey. I mean Burns still doesn't always tackle well, celebrates tying his shoes, and is not assignment sound on each and every play. But at least he can get on the field and put in a legit NFL caliber performance. Most of his draft class can not say the same thing.

I'm in agreement that it normally takes CB's a year or 2 to be able to contribute, unless the CB is polished and none of Burns, Alexander or Apple had much polish on them.

Burns standing flat footed in zone coverage when he has to know he has the deep 1/3 in coverage is not adjustment to the NFL, nor growing pains. My 16 year old son has had less time in zone than Burns and he turns his hips and gets back in coverage, rather than looking at the QB and shouting directions, or whatever he was doing. Its just terrible and there is no way to sugar coat it. Its over, he can look at it on film, learn and move on....but just as I said Ben was bad in Chicago, but gave credit where due in Baltimore, Burns gets a lump of coal down the stretch in KC.

Mojouw
10-16-2017, 06:15 PM
I'm in agreement that it normally takes CB's a year or 2 to be able to contribute, unless the CB is polished and none of Burns, Alexander or Apple had much polish on them.

Burns standing flat footed in zone coverage when he has to know he has the deep 1/3 in coverage is not adjustment to the NFL, nor growing pains. My 16 year old son has had less time in zone than Burns and he turns his hips and gets back in coverage, rather than looking at the QB and shouting directions, or whatever he was doing. Its just terrible and there is no way to sugar coat it. Its over, he can look at it on film, learn and move on....but just as I said Ben was bad in Chicago, but gave credit where due in Baltimore, Burns gets a lump of coal down the stretch in KC.

ANd no one is really disagreeing with that. I am only pointing out that many have questioned where the love for Burns comes from. I am merely attempting to point out that by the reasonable measuring stick of the other 1st round CBs in his draft class, Burns is the second best right now. Does that still mean glaring mistakes and some just absolutely stunningly bad plays? Yup.

But I think that is where the optimism or much of the positivity regarding Burns is coming from. He is either ahead of or at least right on the curve being set by his class.

hawaiiansteeler
10-16-2017, 06:23 PM
And no one is really disagreeing with that. I am only pointing out that many have questioned where the love for Burns comes from. I am merely attempting to point out that by the reasonable measuring stick of the other 1st round CBs in his draft class, Burns is the second best right now. Does that still mean glaring mistakes and some just absolutely stunningly bad plays? Yup.

But I think that is where the optimism or much of the positivity regarding Burns is coming from. He is either ahead of or at least right on the curve being set by his class.

yup, and Jalen Ramsey was selected 5th overall whereas we picked Artie 25th...

Psycho Ward 86
10-16-2017, 06:36 PM
People do realize Artie Burns is still only 22 years old, had to split his time between track and football in college, and basically raised his siblings during that time right? Here we are in season 2 and he's a starter on the #1 pass defense in the league. He clamped up his run defense as the season wore on last season and I expect he'll figure it out again. Im more concerned about Mitchell going for the killshot instead of playing the ball and Williams/Davis starting the season slow but they both looked great against the Chiefs.

Steeldude
10-16-2017, 07:04 PM
People do realize Artie Burns is still only 22 years old, had to split his time between track and football in college, and basically raised his siblings during that time right? Here we are in season 2 and he's a starter on the #1 pass defense in the league. He clamped up his run defense as the season wore on last season and I expect he'll figure it out again. Im more concerned about Mitchell going for the killshot instead of playing the ball and Williams/Davis starting the season slow but they both looked great against the Chiefs.

Yes, at 22 he should very easily understand his assignments and be able to put forth effort.

Here we are in season 2 and he's a starter on the #1 pass defense in the league.

It's not like he had to earn it. Also, who did he have to beat out? The Steelers are number one in pass defense because they faced mostly poor QBs; and their run defense is porous.

FrancoLambert
10-16-2017, 07:06 PM
The eye test tells me that our pass defense is a helluva lot better. I don't see cornerbacks getting picked on regularly.
All things considered, I'm happy with Artie's progress.
Instead of focusing on Artie's shortcomings discussion should focus more on Mitchell's antics.

Steeldude
10-16-2017, 07:43 PM
The eye test tells me that our pass defense is a helluva lot better. I don't see cornerbacks getting picked on regularly.
All things considered, I'm happy with Artie's progress.
Instead of focusing on Artie's shortcomings discussion should focus more on Mitchell's antics.

Badly missed assignments, giving up and not trying is something I will never overlook.

They need to find Mitchell's replacement next season.

teegre
10-16-2017, 09:04 PM
There was once a young Steelers linebacker who (while playing special teams) blocked his man to the ground and then hovered over him... while the play continued on/while he failed to fulfill the rest of his duties.

#burnsallegory

Mojouw
10-16-2017, 09:07 PM
There was once a young Steelers linebacker who (while playing special teams) blocked his man to the ground and then hovered over him... while the play continued on/while he failed to fulfill the rest of his duties.

#burnsallegory

ooooooooohhhhhhhh!!!!!! ooooooohhhhhhhh!!! I know! Call on me!!!!

JARVIS JONES!

Was I right?

Devilsdancefloor
10-16-2017, 10:17 PM
heroes: Bell & decastro were monsters on O and Hilton on D

Goat:red zone play calling

Craic
10-17-2017, 12:47 AM
heroes: Bell & decastro were monsters on O and Hilton on D

Huh . . .

I read, "Herpes: Bell and & decastro. . .

I really need to get some sleep.

Steeldude
10-17-2017, 02:08 AM
ooooooooohhhhhhhh!!!!!! ooooooohhhhhhhh!!! I know! Call on me!!!!

JARVIS JONES!

Was I right?

He didn't say the LB was blocked to the ground, flailed around like a retard and then people made excuses for him.

AtlantaDan
10-17-2017, 05:43 AM
He didn't say the LB was blocked to the ground, flailed around like a retard and then people made excuses for him.

Retard? I can see you were not kidding when you selected your posting picture.

Steeldude
10-17-2017, 07:52 AM
Retard? I can see you were not kidding when you selected your posting picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkzaOwAmDmA

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-17-2017, 08:45 AM
Badly missed assignments, giving up and not trying is something I will never overlook.

They need to find Mitchell's replacement next season.

I completely agree with this. While we can look at the positives of Burns improving play at CB, we should not overlook the lack of willingness to tackle at times, or to hustle to get in on tackles, or complete lapses in coverage like Sunday, which resulted in 1TD and should have been another TD if Smith doesn't overthrow the wide open WR that Burns left in the corner of the end zone.

I have said for seasons that Mike Mitchell is a mediocre NFL FS at best and is getting paid too much, but its another case of the Steelers needing to draft pass rushers, OLB's, WR's, CB's before they upgrade his average level of play.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-17-2017, 09:04 AM

What did you not like about the RZ playcalling?

Steelers made 2 trips to the Red Zone on Sunday and came up with 10 points out of those trips.

AtlantaDan
10-17-2017, 09:22 AM
I completely agree with this. While we can look at the positives of Burns improving play at CB, we should not overlook the lack of willingness to tackle at times, or to hustle to get in on tackles, or complete lapses in coverage like Sunday, which resulted in 1TD and should have been another TD if Smith doesn't overthrow the wide open WR that Burns left in the corner of the end zone.

I have said for seasons that Mike Mitchell is a mediocre NFL FS at best and is getting paid too much, but its another case of the Steelers needing to draft pass rushers, OLB's, WR's, CB's before they upgrade his average level of play.

If they had moved on before this season Mitchell's dead money cap hit for 2017 would have been $8,527,500, which is more than his actual 2017 cap hit of $8,135,000 if he stayed on the roster - so he was not going anywhere

If he stays next season his cap hit once again is $8,135,000 - if he is released the dead money cap hit is $1,763,750 for 2018, which is much more workable

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/mike-mitchell-5895/

Mojouw
10-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Mitchell might get another season out of all this. The "best" option for replacing him is with a draft pick. That means potentially starting a rookie in the back end with a 3rd year SS, a 3rd year CB, either Haden or basically a rookie in Sutton, and a 3rd year player in Hilton in the slot.

I like the talent, but the experience is woefully lacking. Mitchell likely gets one more year to be the "QB" in the secondary while the Steelers train Davis or a rookie FS to take over in 2019.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-17-2017, 09:46 AM
Mitchell might get another season out of all this. The "best" option for replacing him is with a draft pick. That means potentially starting a rookie in the back end with a 3rd year SS, a 3rd year CB, either Haden or basically a rookie in Sutton, and a 3rd year player in Hilton in the slot.

I like the talent, but the experience is woefully lacking. Mitchell likely gets one more year to be the "QB" in the secondary while the Steelers train Davis or a rookie FS to take over in 2019.

I think Davis has the range and coverage skills as a former CB at Maryland to make the move to FS, while they can always look at Wilcox and another Rookie at the other spot if needed. Have to start thinking of replacing the salary cap hit of Mitchell so they can use it elsewhere IMO.