PDA

View Full Version : For the First Time Ever, *that* Thought Crossed My Mind—Bench Ben.

Craic
10-08-2017, 04:43 PM
It was a spur of the moment thought. One of those thoughts a person has and quickly dismisses as random and coming from nowhere like when you're laying in bed at night almost asleep and the thought of your naked Grandmother riding bareback across the plains while the West was being won shoots through your head. It's a thought you immediately dismiss and never want to have again. But, unfortunately, this time the thought lingered a little longer.

Now, I know, who would we put in? Landry Jones? We're admitting defeat if we do that. Dobbs? He might have a future in the NFL, but not if we throw him to the wolves his rookie year. He is not Ben R. a la 1994. So, I'd rather stay with a struggling Ben. However, it is difficult to shake the unsettling feeling that not only did that stray thought cross my mind, but it had a legitimate reason to do so.

Shoes
10-08-2017, 04:50 PM
Chuck Noll: "If you're thinking about retiring, you've already retired." If I'm Art II I'd be watching college football and looking for a vet QB starting today.

Mojouw
10-08-2017, 04:56 PM
I've been thinking about similar things (not naked grandmas, but moving on...). Everyone likes to talk about coaches not instilling discipline. Since this isn't a high-school JV team, I don't think having guys take a few laps or run suicides is really going to have an impact. All I can think of is to bench some guys. That being said...

...Can you really bench the starting QB? I mean obviously you can, but what does that get you? Either a week of Landry Jones - that's an L. Or a week of Dobbs that is likley an L and potentially crushing to his development.

I mean there is a version of this, that following the same logic as was used to bench Eli Rogers, you bench the following guys:

Ben R - 5 picks and just poor execution overall
Dupree - can't seem to stay in his gap, like ever.
Davis - safety play has been unimpressive and I'm giving Mitchell a pass because of injury
Hunter - runs lazy crap routes whenever he rarely gets on the field
Hubbard - if Hawkins is healthy, why not?

But, like I said in the other thread, I don't think you can bench the QB at this point. It basically tells the rest of the team that you aren't trying to win.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-08-2017, 05:10 PM
It was a spur of the moment thought. One of those thoughts a person has and quickly dismisses as random and coming from nowhere. Like when you're laying in bed at night almost asleep and the thought of your naked Grandmother riding bareback across the plains while the West was being won shoots threw your head. it's a thought you immediately dismiss and never want to have again. But, unfortunately, this time the thought lingered a little longer.

Now, I know, who would we put in? Landry Jones? We're admitting defeat if we do that. Dobbs? He might have a future in the NFL, but not if we throw him to the wolves his rookie year. He is not Ben R. a la 1994. So, I'd rather stay with a struggling Ben. However, it is difficult to shake the unsettling feeling that not only did that stray thought cross my mind, but it had a legitimate reason to do so. We are screwed this year and live and die with Ben. Why I made a post for trading for a good back up / possible starter like Hoyer or another.

Craic
10-08-2017, 05:11 PM
But, like I said in the other thread, I don't think you can bench the QB at this point. It basically tells the rest of the team that you aren't trying to win.
I'm not sure about that as much as I think we just don't have the ability to right now. That, and Ben is a veteran. By that I mean, benching him isn't going accomplish anything unless he's injured or his head just isn't in the game. Even so, I still trust Ben the way he's playing now more than I do Landry Jones. And, while I'd love to see Dobbs get a shot, I sincerely do not believe he is ready at the moment. Maybe that's what you mean by telling the team you aren't trying to win.

10-08-2017, 05:15 PM
I would love to have a QB like Rivers now and that old dog has fire and wants to win in the worse way. We need to find someone like that! Would love a trade for Rivers next season and would willing to give up a 1 for him.

Shoes
10-08-2017, 05:18 PM
What a tool.

After Sunday’s brutal showing Roethlisberger reportedly said facetiously “maybe I don’t have it any more.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/tomlin-roethlisberger-hes-not-playing-well/

st33lersguy
10-08-2017, 05:28 PM
What a tool.

After Sunday’s brutal showing Roethlisberger reportedly said facetiously “maybe I don’t have it any more.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/tomlin-roethlisberger-hes-not-playing-well/

Ben's attitude is really starting to piss me off. I really don't want to get pissed off at such an important player in Steelers history, but it's hard to not get pissed at him with this combined with calling out receivers on numerous occasions since the championship game

10-08-2017, 05:29 PM
What a tool.

Seriously though I want a qb that enjoys the game and wants to win. Ben hasn't been enthused in years and typical bs from him.

AtlantaDan
10-08-2017, 05:31 PM
What a tool.

When the interview is available online it sometimes is helpful to watch the original source material

I am by no means the biggest Roethlisberger fan on this board but I thought he was pretty contrite overall - the "maybe I don't have it anymore comment" (question that prompted that comment is garbled) is early in the linked video (could not embed)

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/Ben-Im-not-playing-well-enough/a497191c-8f0a-44af-b8cd-785d7020b799

FWIW this is the lead to the ESPN story on Ben's comments

Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger) pointed the blame directly at himself Sunday after his five interceptions against the Jacksonville Jaguars (http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/jax/jacksonville-jaguars), arguably his worst game as a Pittsburgh Steeler.When discussing what's holding the offense back, Roethlisberger said after the 30-9 loss, "Maybe I don't have it anymore."
It was more a stream-of-consciousness moment than a declaration, but the 14-year veteran clearly was affected by the brutal outing.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20959339/pittsburgh-steelers-quarterback-ben-roethlisberger-directly-blames-five-interceptions-jacksonville-jaguars

Shoes
10-08-2017, 05:37 PM
When the interview is available online it sometimes is helpful to watch the original source material

I am by no means the biggest Roethlisberger fan on this board but I thought he was pretty contrite overall - the "maybe I don't have it anymore comment" is early in the linked video (could not embed)

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/Ben-Im-not-playing-well-enough/a497191c-8f0a-44af-b8cd-785d7020b799

FWIW this is the lead to the ESPN story on Ben's comments

Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger) pointed the blame directly at himself Sunday after his five interceptions against the Jacksonville Jaguars (http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/jax/jacksonville-jaguars), arguably his worst game as a Pittsburgh Steeler.When discussing what's holding the offense back, Roethlisberger said after the 30-9 loss, "Maybe I don't have it anymore."
It was more a stream-of-consciousness moment than a declaration, but the 14-year veteran clearly was affected by the brutal outing.

I did see the video, but Ben is one who gives short quip answers when its on him and long spotlight problem solving when its on others.

10-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Anyhow bet the farm on Pitt next week over KC. Spread wise anyways!

AtlantaDan
10-08-2017, 05:45 PM
I did see the video, but Ben is one who gives short quip answers when its on him and long spotlight problem solving when its on others.

Did you hear the question that prompted the comment (I did not) - his responses to everything else was I need to play better

We are talking about an AP reporter who used the "facetiously" comment in a tweet who probably is measured in part by how many followers and replies he gets on twitter - he needs to stir the pot

BurghBoy412
10-08-2017, 05:56 PM
What a tool.

There's the "poor Ben" moment I was waiting for. F**k you Ben! I'm sick of his condescending, arrogant bullshit. It's hard to believe his teammates aren't tired of the same shit. Go ahead and take an extra day off this week. We all know you'll use it to feel sorry for yourself. Ben Roethlisberger is by far the most selfish player on this team. Ben isn't a winner anymore. He's a whiner.

Shoes
10-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Did you hear the question that prompted the comment (I did not) - his responses to everything else was I need to play better

We are talking about an AP reporter who used the "facetiously" comment in a tweet who probably is measured in part by how many followers and replies he gets on twitter - he needs to stir the pot

Yes, the reporter ask *if he was doing anything differently under center * Sounded like an honest question to me. I think *facetiously* fits here.

10-08-2017, 06:15 PM
There's the "poor Ben" moment I was waiting for. F**k you Ben! I'm sick of his condescending, arrogant bullshit. It's hard to believe his teammates aren't tired of the same shit. Go ahead and take an extra day off this week. We all know you'll use it to feel sorry for yourself. Ben Roethlisberger is by far the most selfish player on this team. Ben isn't a winner anymore. He's a whiner. Careful don't talk bad of the best Steeler QB ever and posters will hate ya. Wait they already do so feel free to do so lol.

AtlantaDan
10-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Yes, the reporter ask *if he was doing anything differently under center * Sounded like an honest question to me. I think *facetiously* fits here.

In terms of off the field actions I will rank this as less of a cluster than the anthem fiasco or the radio show comments about AB - none of which are as significant as Ben's play having slipped significantly

BurghBoy412
10-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Careful don't talk bad of the best Steeler QB ever and posters will hate ya. Wait they already do so feel free to do so lol.When you speak the truth most people won't/ don't like you. It's ok. I'm done living in this fantasy land when it comes to Ben. Why do people defend him to the death? Is Ben some kind of great humanitarian? No he's an asshole. Has been his whole career. Let's go ahead and defend him and act like he's some great human being. If he didn't play football for my favorite team I wouldn't give a rats ass about him. Hopefully our next franchise QB will be a great player and human being. Not some selfish, self absorbed prick who's only contribution to this world is winning some football games.

10-08-2017, 07:15 PM
When you speak the truth most people won't/ don't like you. It's ok. I'm done living in this fantasy land when it comes to Ben. Why do people defend him to the death? Is Ben some kind of great humanitarian? No he's an asshole. Has been his whole career. Let's go ahead and defend him and act like he's some great human being. If he didn't play football for my favorite team I wouldn't give a rats ass about him. Hopefully our next franchise QB will be a great player and human being. Not some selfish, self absorbed prick who's only contribution to this world is winning some football games. Well said and the Ben defenders are on here now blaming the coaches and etc for Ben's worst game ever! They can't realize right now Bortles maybe better then him.

BurghBoy412
10-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Well said and the Ben defenders are on here now blaming the coaches and etc for Ben's worst game ever! They can't realize right now Bortles maybe better then him.Blaming anyone but Ben for this loss is pure insanity.

10-08-2017, 07:59 PM
Blaming anyone but Ben for this loss is pure insanity. But it's happening but not amazed they still defend him.

BurghBoy412
10-08-2017, 08:01 PM
But it's happening but not amazed they still defend him.To each his own I suppose..

GBMelBlount
10-08-2017, 08:10 PM
We are in first place in our division after 5 games and our offense and defense should only improve.

All that I care about is that we make the playoffs healthy and with momentum as I believe we have the talent to win the Lombardi.

If Ben is playing like this after 8 games and we are several games out of first, then yes, I will be concerned.

BurghBoy412
10-08-2017, 08:11 PM
Turnovers anyone??https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171009/761b42102e38e7d65757673b0b64e69e.jpg

RunNGun
10-08-2017, 08:12 PM
I won't take anything away from what he's done as a Steeler, but it looked today like his heart isn't in the game any more. I too, for the first time, thought Ben should have been benched. He has one more week to straighten up and if he doesn't then it's time for change. Could be some cloudy days ahead for Steelers fans.

BurghBoy412
10-08-2017, 08:12 PM
We are in first place in our division after 5 games and our offense and defense should only improve.

All that I care about is that we make the playoffs healthy and with momentum.

We have the talent to win the Lombardi.How much have you had to drink today my friend??

10-08-2017, 08:13 PM
To each his own I suppose.. Yep and have a good week ahead Bro. I really believe we beat KC.

RunNGun
10-08-2017, 08:14 PM
How much have you had to drink today my friend??

I agree with Blount. The sky still isn't falling. We're lucky the other teams in the division are struggling. Time is ticking though.

BurghBoy412
10-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Yep and have a good week ahead Bro. I really believe we beat KC.I believe it! Go Steelers!

BurghBoy412
10-08-2017, 08:17 PM
I agree with Blount. The sky still isn't falling. We're lucky the other teams in the division are struggling. Time is ticking though.The sky isn't falling. It already fell.

RunNGun
10-08-2017, 08:20 PM
We are 3-2 and winning the division. Those are facts. Ben's play is alarming, but there's a lot of season left to pick it up. Ben isn't showing any signs of that, but you gotta stay optimistic.

BurghBoy412
10-08-2017, 08:33 PM
We are 3-2 and winning the division. Those are facts. Ben's play is alarming, but there's a lot of season left to pick it up. Ben isn't showing any signs of that, but you gotta stay optimistic.I'm compelled to stay optimistic. Is that so? Why? What has this team shown that warrants optimism? Do you really believe they're good enough to play with the best teams? Do you really believe Ben is going to magically turn it around? Do you really believe the play calling and game planning will all of the sudden become sound? Be realistic.

DesertSteel
10-08-2017, 08:40 PM
The sky isn't falling. It already fell.
Then why bother? Just a glutton for punishment?

RunNGun
10-08-2017, 08:43 PM
I'm compelled to stay optimistic. Is that so? Why? What has this team shown that warrants optimism? Do you really believe they're good enough to play with the best teams? Do you really believe Ben is going to magically turn it around? Do you really believe the play calling and game planning will all of the sudden become sound? Be realistic.

I'm optimistic because of the facts. We're healthy and winning the division at the 1/4 point of the season. At this point, KC is the only team that looks dominant in the entire NFL. Pats have problems, we beat the Ravens, Raiders are dealing with injuries. The AFC is wide open. To say or think the Steelers are done for at this point is ridiculous.

NCSteeler
10-08-2017, 09:42 PM

All that I care about is that we make the playoffs healthy and with momentum as I believe we have the talent to win the Lombardi.

If Ben is playing like this after 8 games and we are several games out of first, then yes, I will be concerned.It's hard on this Sunday but I believe this to be truth. Way early. Ben and the WRs are playing themselves in shape and rythym

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

NCSteeler
10-08-2017, 09:44 PM
We'll play well but I do t see any way we beat KC . Probably lose by at least ten. They are on the mark right now . In sync and balling out

NCSteeler
10-08-2017, 09:50 PM
And remember for the last four years Ben has been atrocious on the road. Heading to KC

Craic
10-08-2017, 10:03 PM
I'm compelled to stay optimistic. Is that so? Why? What has this team shown that warrants optimism? Do you really believe they're good enough to play with the best teams? Do you really believe Ben is going to magically turn it around? Do you really believe the play calling and game planning will all of the sudden become sound? Be realistic.

Why stay optimistic? You know... that's a good question. Instead of hijacking this thread, I think I'll start another one in answering that question. It's definitely worth debating.

- - - Updated - - -

And remember for the last four years Ben has been atrocious on the road. Heading to KC

NC - haven't seen you around for a while. Good to see you here (I've probably just missed your posts). Oh, and although a bit late, hope your celebration of the high holy days were all you wanted it to be this year. (Unless I'm getting really old and have completely mistaken your faith/culture background).

teegre
10-08-2017, 10:05 PM

If Ben is playing like this after 8 games and we are several games out of first, then yes, I will be concerned.

1. First place in the AFCN.
2. Third seed in the playoffs.
3. So far, HORRID on offense.

SUMMATION:
If the offense ever figures things out, we will be fine.

NCSteeler
10-09-2017, 05:31 AM
Why stay optimistic? You know... that's a good question. Instead of hijacking this thread, I think I'll start another one in answering that question. It's definitely worth debating.

- - - Updated - - -

NC - haven't seen you around for a while. Good to see you here (I've probably just missed your posts). Oh, and although a bit late, hope your celebration of the high holy days were all you wanted it to be this year. (Unless I'm getting really old and have completely mistaken your faith/culture background).

Lol. You're getting old. I don't have a specific faith. I haven't been around in a while. Kind a just lost interest. Still love and follow my Steelers just don't spend near as much time on it. Felt the need to check in here and join the venting a bit.

Steeldude
10-09-2017, 06:00 AM
What a bunch a Archie Bunkers. Come on, everything is great. Dupree is the second coming of Lawrence Taylor and the offense is a 30+ point juggernaut. Don't even get me started on this Steel Curtain. Tomlin never makes mistakes. How can a coach who is "one of the guys" make a mistake? No need to fix anything. Porter is a mastermind, as is Butler.

GBMelBlount
10-09-2017, 09:43 AM
What a bunch a Archie Bunkers. Come on, everything is great. Dupree is the second coming of Lawrence Taylor and the offense is a 30+ point juggernaut. Don't even get me started on this Steel Curtain. Tomlin never makes mistakes. How can a coach who is "one of the guys" make a mistake? No need to fix anything. Porter is a mastermind, as is Butler.

Good to have some levity. :lol:

Moose
10-09-2017, 10:33 AM
I'm optimistic because of the facts. We're healthy and winning the division at the 1/4 point of the season. At this point, KC is the only team that looks dominant in the entire NFL. Pats have problems, we beat the Ravens, Raiders are dealing with injuries. The AFC is wide open. To say or think the Steelers are done for at this point is ridiculous.

You better check the facts again. Healthy - maybe, but doesn't matter with the way they are playing. Winning division - they are tied with ratbirds with bungholes right behind. KC looking dominate- doesn't matter, losing teams are kicking our ass. Ravens aren't a sure bet next time. I wouldn't be sure on the bunghole game either. And to be honest, would you bet that we beat even the Brown's right now?? I sure wouldn't. Sorry, but after watching all the games so far, saying the Steeler's are done at this point isn't ridiculous by any means. If no change is made, I wouldn't have any problems saying this team is done. I've said for year's that they better be looking for a future QB, they haven't and now it's biting them in their ass. Ben is the sole reason for the Jax loss....with more to come. And we have no one on the bench to replace him.

Born2Steel
10-09-2017, 10:37 AM
1. First place in the AFCN.
2. Third seed in the playoffs.
3. So far, HORRID on offense.

SUMMATION:
If the offense ever figures things out, we will be fine.

It looks like it's going to be another one of those seasons where we really won't know what to expect week to week. Too early to give up on this season by a long shot. I just absolutely hate things that don't make sense, and that last game did not make any sense. I still don't know what to take away from it.

steel striker
10-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Time to take a deep breath and, it would not surprise me to see the Ben have a monster game against KC on the road. I don't like how Ben played yesterday but, every QB has a couple of bad days.

Mamaduck43
10-09-2017, 12:22 PM
I still have faith, but I am old enough to remember having faith in a season or two when we were 0/12 or close to that..... The Steelers, and especially, Ben, have problems playing through distractions, and the past couple of weeks have been nothing but distractions.... The tools are on board for a winning season - - and I am talking all the way to the end - - and my feeling is that they just have to blend better as far as working as a team is concerned.... This mainly rests on the shoulders of the Coaching staff and, of course on Ben, and I truly believe that it will happen....

However, I also agree with Coach Noll - - - when you start talking about retiring, it is time.... It looks like Ben isn't having fun this season - - even in our good moments, he has been blaming himself (mostly agree) for the weaknesses, but everyone has got to dig deep..... Living in Green Bay now, I have seen the many incarnations of Brett Favre - - he has been through the mill, but after realizing that he could have fun doing other things, he is again accepted by the Cheeseheads.... I don't want Ben to have to go through those bad times..... And I will always thank him for the glory days that he has brought us.... I still catch my breath in the last few minutes of a game when he is in control of the end game..... And I would rather he be in there than just about anybody......

DesertSteel
10-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Would Noll consider benching Ben?

43Hitman
10-09-2017, 12:37 PM
If he had another outing like yesterday in back to back games, I would think so.

tube517
10-09-2017, 01:11 PM

Consider? Yes.

But Noll would probably tell a story and confuse the entire locker room.

vasteeler
10-09-2017, 01:46 PM

Benching him for who though? Jones? Dobbs?

DesertSteel
10-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Benching him for who though? Jones? Dobbs?
If he did it, I think Noll would go with Dobbs.

steelcityboyz
10-09-2017, 03:32 PM
I can't put this all on Ben. Sure he hasn't looked anything like a franchise Qb. My question is if Ben doesn't like the play that's sent in can he override it and call what he thinks is better? If not then Haley needs shit canned. If Ben can call his own plays and he is calling some of this garbage, he needs to stop, cause it ain't working and we need to look for another offensive coordinator.

ALLD
10-09-2017, 04:58 PM
I say they do more running plays to take the pressure off Ben. They have 3 great RBs, why not run the ball 60 times?

I hope I am wrong, but have seen this before from Tomlin teams. Steelers go down hard against a KC team prepping for a SB run on the legs of their rookie RB.

AtlantaDan
10-09-2017, 05:16 PM

Not after this length of time with Ben as the starter - Noll ran starting QBs through a revolving door through the first Super Bowl season in '74 but after that he stuck with his starter - the rap on Noll as the 70s team got old was he actually was too loyal to the vets despite his rep of being distant

OTOH I bet he would tell his OC to lose the empty backfield and tell both the OC not to call and the QB not to check off to the constant pass plays inside the 5

NCSteeler
10-09-2017, 05:55 PM
When has a modern coach benched a two time Superbowl winning QB? Not happening

st33lersguy
10-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Ben is still the best QB on the team. Dobbs isn't fully developed yet and still has issues to work out and I really don't need to talk about Landry, do I

Lady Steel
10-09-2017, 09:54 PM
Bench Ben? :doh2:

https://media.tenor.com/images/281fa5c502195471d9fb29a89a3c1f2e/tenor.gif

:lol:

10-09-2017, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't bench him this week but if he continues to play poor in the future it maybe a good idea. QB's are ego driven as well and might just light a fire under his a$$. Something needs too and he has been mailing it in for years now.

Lady Steel
10-09-2017, 10:21 PM
Ooooooh, so now people don't want to bench Ben this week because we're playing Kansas City. Let's wait for a shitty opponent week, is that it? Got it! :toofunny:

Mojouw
10-09-2017, 10:24 PM
While I don't think he has been mailing it in - I do think he needs a wake-up call.

I also figure you can't bench him without losing large sections of the locker room and a few games.

So, if someone was ever dumb enough to put MojoUW in charge, I would take away some of his play-calling leeway. I know that might really put a damper on the run/pass option plays that have proved so lethal as recently as last season, but there has to be some consequence/change. Force Ben to stay on "message" and "gameplan" might make a difference.

Or, maybe Ben is the only thing standing between this team and full Haley nonsense? And remember, you never wanna go full Haley!

10-09-2017, 10:24 PM
Ooooooh, so now people don't want to bench Ben this week because we're playing Kansas City. Let's wait for a shitty opponent week, is that it? Got it! :toofunny: Part of it but also waiting to see if his play turns around. 1 bad horrible game doesn't warrant it but two does.

Lady Steel
10-09-2017, 10:35 PM
And remember, you never wanna go full Haley!

Haha! Don't we know it, brother? https://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-hfive.gif

RunNGun
10-10-2017, 03:00 AM
You better check the facts again. Healthy - maybe, but doesn't matter with the way they are playing. Winning division - they are tied with ratbirds with bungholes right behind. KC looking dominate- doesn't matter, losing teams are kicking our ass. Ravens aren't a sure bet next time. I wouldn't be sure on the bunghole game either. And to be honest, would you bet that we beat even the Brown's right now?? I sure wouldn't. Sorry, but after watching all the games so far, saying the Steeler's are done at this point isn't ridiculous by any means. If no change is made, I wouldn't have any problems saying this team is done. I've said for year's that they better be looking for a future QB, they haven't and now it's biting them in their ass. Ben is the sole reason for the Jax loss....with more to come. And we have no one on the bench to replace him.

You just confirmed everything I said was facts, so no, I won't be checking them. Saying they're done at 3-2 and leading the divison is RIDICULOUS. I don't care who you are. If we lose to the Chiefs, we still aren't done. You know who is done? The 0-5 Browns. The 0-5 Giants. If you're willing to say this team is done with 11 games left, while having a winning record, a healthy team, and the division lead, then I'm willing to call you a moron.

Born2Steel
10-10-2017, 07:49 AM
If you bench Ben now, it would be the first time in history any team has ever benched a non-injured HoF multiple SB winning QB, while holding the division lead, heading out on the road to play the conference 1st place team. I don't think that would be the smart play right now.

Lady Steel
10-10-2017, 11:57 AM
^Agree.

Some people have lost their damn minds around here. :willy:

Mojouw
10-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Here is a "hot take" from Steelers Depot - http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/no-ben-roethlisberger-not-mentally-retired-already/

So let’s lay off the lazy excuses for now unless we actually hear something meaningful to address it, and not a facetious answer in the heat of the moment after an ugly game in response to an obnoxious question from a reporter.

Shoes
10-10-2017, 01:36 PM
Here is a "hot take" from Steelers Depot - http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/no-ben-roethlisberger-not-mentally-retired-already/

So let’s lay off the lazy excuses for now unless we actually hear something meaningful to address it, and not a facetious answer in the heat of the moment after an ugly game in response to an obnoxious question from a reporter.

I only go to SD because I like Alex's stuff and l agree with Noll on his retirement statement. I'm close to retirement and I think about it everyday....many times through the day in fact! I do feel I'm in retirement mode.

Moose
10-10-2017, 01:58 PM
You just confirmed everything I said was facts, so no, I won't be checking them. Saying they're done at 3-2 and leading the divison is RIDICULOUS. I don't care who you are. If we lose to the Chiefs, we still aren't done. You know who is done? The 0-5 Browns. The 0-5 Giants. If you're willing to say this team is done with 11 games left, while having a winning record, a healthy team, and the division lead, then I'm willing to call you a moron.

I said IF no change is made to the way they are playing now, I wouldn't have any problem saying this team is done. The 3 win's they have weren't convincing as a good team would've won, other than the ratbirds. The only game the team kicked ass and the coaches had a great game plan. They barely slipped past the browns. The losses were to teams they should've dominated. Leading a pathetic division right now is good, but don't look back....the rat's are right there with us and the bungholes are breathing down our backs with a match-up next week. Healthy team is great, but who is winning games for us ? 11 games left would and should give this team enough time to pull away in the division for some BYE's and Home field advantage...do you think they will win all 11 ? Do you think they are going to win 8/9 of those remaining ? I say they may win 6/7 remaining with the way they are playing...maybe. Which teams do you bet on them winning ? Yea, I thought so. Oh, and don't lower yourself to start name calling to fellow posters.

Moose
10-10-2017, 02:26 PM
If you bench Ben now, it would be the first time in history any team has ever benched a non-injured HoF multiple SB winning QB, while holding the division lead, heading out on the road to play the conference 1st place team. I don't think that would be the smart play right now.

Agree 100%

Moose
10-10-2017, 02:37 PM

Good post...thanks for sharing. But I still think that hopefully they are concentrating on WHY Ben is having such problem with his timing, rhythm, and routes. It wasn't just the Jax game. He looked to have some problems just about all games so far. Something is off with him. I do believe Ben's heart is in playing yet. Hopefully there is something they can work on....just like in baseball, if a player has his timing trouble with hitting the ball they have him try punting to get his timing again.

10-10-2017, 03:08 PM
^Agree.

Some people have lost their damn minds around here. :willy:

:lol: If it's so crazy who would ever thought that Manning would get benched for Osweller ? If Ben continues to play poorly it will happen.

j-d-s
10-10-2017, 04:04 PM
I don't think we should overstate this game. Every once in a while you can have a bad game. I still think that this team is very good, including Ben, and I think we could beat KC (even though that will be tough).For the Jags game, in German we have the saying: At first we had no luck, and than on top of that came bad luck/misfortune. (Notice that luck and bad luck/misfortune are different words - Glück and Pech.)Because the Jags offense played horrible. If those Pick sixes were not returned for TDs (but only interceptions) we might have actually won this game.

RunNGun
10-10-2017, 05:45 PM
I said IF no change is made to the way they are playing now, I wouldn't have any problem saying this team is done. The 3 win's they have weren't convincing as a good team would've won, other than the ratbirds. The only game the team kicked ass and the coaches had a great game plan. They barely slipped past the browns. The losses were to teams they should've dominated. Leading a pathetic division right now is good, but don't look back....the rat's are right there with us and the bungholes are breathing down our backs with a match-up next week. Healthy team is great, but who is winning games for us ? 11 games left would and should give this team enough time to pull away in the division for some BYE's and Home field advantage...do you think they will win all 11 ? Do you think they are going to win 8/9 of those remaining ? I say they may win 6/7 remaining with the way they are playing...maybe. Which teams do you bet on them winning ? Yea, I thought so. Oh, and don't lower yourself to start name calling to fellow posters.

I don't pay attention to the, "we should have beat this team by more points than we did," talk. You take a win in the NFL any way you can get it. You're right, it hasn't been in convincingly, dominant fashion, but at the end of the day, our record is what it is. I'm not going to make a prediction on how many wins we will have, but 9-7 could quite possibly win this division. I'm focused more on divisional games. If we sweep the Browns and/or the Bengals/Ravens, then I really like our chances of getting a first round home playoff game.

P.S. My apologies for the name calling.

FrancoLambert
10-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Bench Ben? Really?

I'd have to suffer through another 5 INT game before I hand the offense over to Landry Jones.

AtlantaDan
10-10-2017, 06:32 PM
Bench Ben? Really?

I'd have to suffer through another 5 INT game before I hand the offense over to Landry Jones.

Ed B. of the P-G agreed in his chat today

Should the Steelers have put in Landry after the 4th pick or did they keep Ben in thinking the game was in reach?
Ed Bouchette: You want to pull Ben for Landry Jones? Are you a former Dolphins assistant coach? :grin:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/10/Ed-Bouchette-Steelers-chat-10-10-17/stories/201710100090

tube517
10-10-2017, 07:08 PM

Should the Steelers have put in Landry after the 4th pick or did they keep Ben in thinking the game was in reach?
Ed Bouchette: You want to pull Ben for Landry Jones? Are you a former Dolphins assistant coach? :grin:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/10/Ed-Bouchette-Steelers-chat-10-10-17/stories/201710100090

Grouchy Ed B.'s chats are comical.

Moose
10-10-2017, 07:38 PM
I don't pay attention to the, "we should have beat this team by more points than we did," talk. You take a win in the NFL any way you can get it. You're right, it hasn't been in convincingly, dominant fashion, but at the end of the day, our record is what it is. I'm not going to make a prediction on how many wins we will have, but 9-7 could quite possibly win this division. I'm focused more on divisional games. If we sweep the Browns and/or the Bengals/Ravens, then I really like our chances of getting a first round home playoff game.

P.S. My apologies for the name calling.

I agree with you for the division winner, as 9 wins will probably win this division. Sweeping the division foe's is really going to be tough though. All we do is hope like hell Ben and the team all found themselves and are playing the way they are capable. Apology accepted my friend, no bad feelings on this side. Bad football pisses fan's off. Have a drink on me :)

Shoes
10-10-2017, 07:42 PM
Grouchy Ed B.'s chats are comical.

Fire Ed, hire Alex!

Shoes
10-10-2017, 09:44 PM
:chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_XKhSS-MO0

Lady Steel
10-10-2017, 11:40 PM

*snort*

NCSteeler
10-11-2017, 05:14 AM
*snort*

[emoji38]It sounds funny. But we all know Ben historically does not recover from these things to turn the game around.

DesertSteel
10-11-2017, 11:19 AM
:chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_XKhSS-MO0
"First 20,000 fans get a bobblehead and an interception"..... lol

43Hitman
10-11-2017, 02:13 PM
"I think Ben got bit. By Neil O'Donnell." :lol:

43Hitman
10-11-2017, 02:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o255ZQkqhMw

This one is still one of my all time favorite episodes.