PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward Says There’s No Need To ‘Call Out’ QB; If You’re Open ‘It’s On Tape’

Shoes
10-07-2017, 02:13 PM
Antonio Brown can make a good case for himself already that he is the greatest wide receiver in the history of the Pittsburgh Steelers. But he is certainly not alone. Hines Ward at the moment has as good a case as any right now, with 1000 receptions and over 12000 receiving yards to his name, and a good deal more touchdowns than Brown has.
Ward has found himself again a presence in the Steelers’ facilities this year, as he was brought in as a coaching intern—or special assistant—to help coach up their 20-year-old rookie second-round draft pick, wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster.
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/hines-ward-says-theres-no-need-call-qb-youre-open-tape/

pczach
10-07-2017, 03:04 PM
That's impossible.

I've been told by just about everybody that this at least as much Ben's fault as AB's. They are willing to give AB a pass.

Sometimes I wonder how many fans have ever been in a locker room, or more specifically, been a quarterback. Hines explained the why in simple terms and in the correct fashion.

The other thing people don't seem to know is that Ben is as important to AB as AB is to Ben. AB doesn't run the most precise routes as they're drawn up in the playbook, and he sometimes makes changes on the fly and Ben has the chemistry with him and the skill to adjust to AB and make the throws.

It should be mandatory that everyone that plays a skill position should have to play some snaps at QB and see how difficult it is. AB just has to read the defense, run the correct route and look for the ball. Ben has to read the defense, know which route AB is supposed to run based on the defense, avoid the rush, go through his progressions and judge whether each progression is open or not, and then deliver the ball accurately.....all within a few seconds. He also has to do all that with 300 lb men trying to rip his head off or crush him. That's why there are only about 6 or 7 people on the planet that are great at it.

Ryan Clark and Hines Ward both know this guy and this team and have clearly stated that AB's behavior is wrong.

You don't show up an elite HOF quarterback that is helping you get there.....PERIOD.

AtlantaDan
10-07-2017, 03:28 PM
You don't show up an elite HOF quarterback that is helping you get there.....PERIOD.

Except when it is essential to go on the NBC national pregame broadcast to share your thoughts regarding whether the franchise QB should miss a Sunday night game against the Ravens after sustaining a concussion the previous week :coffee:

The blind-side hit from Ward hurt Roethlisberger even more. In an interview with NBC before the Steelers played in Baltimore in November 2009, Ward questioned why Roethlisberger, who had concussion-like symptoms, wasn’t playing. Dennis Dixon started at quarterback and the Steelers lost, 20-17, in overtime....

“It’s like a 50-50 toss-up in the locker room: Should he play? Shouldn’t he play?” Ward told NBC. “This game is almost like a playoff game. I could see some players or teammates questioning like, ‘It’s just a concussion. I’ve played with a concussion before.’ ”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2015/01/02/Ron-Cook-Ben-Roethlisberger-has-long-history-with-Ravens/stories/201501020058

fansince'76
10-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Except when it is essential to go on the NBC national pregame broadcast to share your thoughts regarding whether the franchise QB should miss a Sunday night game against the Ravens after sustaining a concussion the previous week :coffee:

The blind-side hit from Ward hurt Roethlisberger even more. In an interview with NBC before the Steelers played in Baltimore in November 2009, Ward questioned why Roethlisberger, who had concussion-like symptoms, wasn’t playing. Dennis Dixon started at quarterback and the Steelers lost, 20-17, in overtime....

“It’s like a 50-50 toss-up in the locker room: Should he play? Shouldn’t he play?” Ward told NBC. “This game is almost like a playoff game. I could see some players or teammates questioning like, ‘It’s just a concussion. I’ve played with a concussion before.’ ”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2015/01/02/Ron-Cook-Ben-Roethlisberger-has-long-history-with-Ravens/stories/201501020058

Beat me to it...

fansince'76
10-07-2017, 03:50 PM

I actually do excuse AB in this case because between the two of them, he's the only one who has played like he wants a ring so far this season. Ben has almost looked like he didn't want to be there at times.

I don't think Ben's been playing completely lousy (he's been taking care of the ball much better so far this year), but I also know he's capable of playing a lot better than he has so far as well. When Ben is on his game, he gets the ball to AB for a TD in that situation and the game is put away a lot sooner. AB's been on his game all season up to this point and I can understand his frustration.

pczach
10-07-2017, 04:42 PM
None of you guys are going to see it until he implodes and the team is affected in such a way that even the public knows.

If this was the first time I'd be giving AB a pass too. He's had a shitload of incidence already plus dozens or more than none of us have even heard about. That's how this stuff works. That's why the coach is making public comments about the incident specifically involving a b and learning to be a professional. That's how locker rooms and coaches and organizations operate and handle things.

AtlantaDan
10-07-2017, 05:31 PM
None of you guys are going to see it until he implodes and the team is affected in such a way that even the public knows.

If this was the first time I'd be giving AB a pass too. He's had a shitload of incidence already plus dozens or more than none of us have even heard about. That's how this stuff works. That's why the coach is making public comments about the incident specifically involving a b and learning to be a professional. That's how locker rooms and coaches and organizations operate and handle things.

FWIW I am not giving AB a pass - I described his conduct as inexcusable in another thread

I agree Tomlin calling him out is how it often operates

AB getting called out in public rather then solely in private by a QB who threw his teammates under the bus on the Monday after the anthem fiasco and by a retired WR who questioned in public that QB sitting out a game after sustaining a concussion - not so much

IMO one guy who has handled this drama well is, of all people, Haley

"I just knew he was worked up and tried to calm him down a little bit, but guys are competitive and passionate so it got kind of got away at that point," Haley said, "and it seems to have worked itself out."...

"I just try to understand that guys are passionate and want to contribute and want to make plays and there's going to be some emotion out there," Haley said. "I've been one of the emotional ones at different times so I'm understanding of it."

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2017/10/antonio_brown_todd_haley.html

Born2Steel
10-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Let it go.....please

tube517
10-07-2017, 05:43 PM
First, S-Rod, now AB.

https://zverg.com/topic-images/cooler-fightclub.jpg :lol:

fansince'76
10-07-2017, 07:28 PM
"I just try to understand that guys are passionate and want to contribute and want to make plays and there's going to be some emotion out there," Haley said. "I've been one of the emotional ones at different times so I'm understanding of it."

http://oi49.tinypic.com/os6cs7.jpg

:chuckle:

86WARD
10-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Let it go.....please

It’s normal. It’s not an issue. It happens in all sports.

FrancoLambert
10-07-2017, 09:33 PM
Ben's going to make sure that he gets AB involved in the game early and often.

Then they'll join hands in the huddle and sing Kumbaya.

DesertSteel
10-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Haley was the guy most dissed. Why did he say he had no problem with it? Because to come down on him begs the question why he didn't stand up to him or why he hasn't lobbied to have him punished. It's easier to say, "I'm good... no big deal."

Butch
10-08-2017, 08:38 AM
IMHO this whole thing is the fault of the Oline which has been less than spectacular all season long. Ben is not looking at AB giving him time to run his route and get open. Before he can turn to look for AB the defense is coming in on his right side and he has to either take a sack or get rid of the ball. Maybe in his younger days Ben scrambles in that situation, but this time he decides to get rid of the ball.

Mojouw
10-08-2017, 11:36 AM
It’s normal. It’s not an issue. It happens in all sports.

Right? Brady threw like 2 tantrums in the TNF game. He absolutely laid into their fullback for not making a route adjustment. And no one says anything other than "Whooooo. Boy, that Tawwwwmmmy Braaady is a fiwghta!"

Remember when Jordan used to routinely call team-mates out and just psychologically destroy them? I mean he might not have ever been any good, but MJ broke Kwame Brown. Just because he could.

AB didn't get in Ben's face. He didn't punch anyone. He didn't leave the field early. He didn't pout and not ball out the rest of the game.

Why is this any bigger of a deal than when a baseball pitcher comes into the dugout and goes 3 rounds with the water cooler? No one really freaks out about that. I mean didn't the pitcher just "show up" his manager for pulling him from the game? Or is it that he is "disrespecting" the catcher for calling that 3-2 slider that the other team just put into the second level seats?

I don't think the players really give a crap about this stuff. Fans and media do. And back to something we were talking about earlier, Ben's big country ass just made things worse by rambling on about Heath Miller or something or other on his radio show. You would think that he would get a PR person on staff by now. He just keeps saying doofus stuff.