PDA

View Full Version : Foster Blames Fantasy Football In Fan Criticism Of Roethlisberger

polamalubeast
10-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Winning Is Always More Important Than Stats

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan)- The Steelers went in to M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore on Sunday and did something that they hadn’t done in four years – Won the game. Not just won, but by a 26-9 score.

But, many look at quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s numbers from the game (18-30 for 216 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT) and say that he just isn’t on his game and are even going so far as to say that this is the beginning of the decline in his career.

Steelers guard Ramon Foster joined “The Fan Morning Show” in his weekly spot at 8 a.m. on Tuesdays. He said that fantasy football has much to do with this perception.

“He is captaining the ship right now and we are just following his lead,” said Foster. “What’s exactly playing great this time? The next question I have is, is he your starter on fantasy football? If that’s the case, that’s [the criticism] null in void. I feel like that part of the game has really washed out a lot of how we play this game. We’re four games in right now, if they want him to throw for 500 yards every single weekend, then that’s unrealistic.”

read more

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/10/03/ramon-foster-blames-fantasy-football-fan-criticism-roethlisberger/

- - - Updated - - -

The steelers are 9-1 in his 10 games....

Born2Steel
10-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Winning Is Always More Important Than Stats

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan)- The Steelers went in to M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore on Sunday and did something that they hadn’t done in four years – Won the game. Not just won, but by a 26-9 score.

But, many look at quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s numbers from the game (18-30 for 216 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT) and say that he just isn’t on his game and are even going so far as to say that this is the beginning of the decline in his career.

Steelers guard Ramon Foster joined “The Fan Morning Show” in his weekly spot at 8 a.m. on Tuesdays. He said that fantasy football has much to do with this perception.

“He is captaining the ship right now and we are just following his lead,” said Foster. “What’s exactly playing great this time? The next question I have is, is he your starter on fantasy football? If that’s the case, that’s [the criticism] null in void. I feel like that part of the game has really washed out a lot of how we play this game. We’re four games in right now, if they want him to throw for 500 yards every single weekend, then that’s unrealistic.”

read more

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/10/03/ramon-foster-blames-fantasy-football-fan-criticism-roethlisberger/

- - - Updated - - -

Is he really "held to under 300 yards", or does one of the best run games in the league play more of a role?

polamalubeast
10-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Is he really "held to under 300 yards", or does one of the best run games in the league play more of a role?

The running game play a role and also the defense.

DesertSteel
10-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Amen!

9-1 > 300 passing yards

SteelerFanInStl
10-03-2017, 11:50 AM

Yep. The win is the most important part. Bell is the focal point of the offense. That change was made last year and it continues. I'd like to see the offense mix it up a little bit more though. I don't like seeing 35 carries for Bell. Get Conner some more carries and limit Bell to around 25. Get Ben some more throws to keep him in the game. He's better when he's more active.

polamalubeast
10-03-2017, 11:56 AM
Yep. The win is the most important part. Bell is the focal point of the offense. That change was made last year and it continues. I'd like to see the offense needs to mix it up a little bit more though. I don't like seeing 35 carries for Bell. Get Conner some more carries and limit Bell to around 25. Get Ben some more throws to keep him in the game. He's better when he's more active.

if I remember correctly, Ben had 20 pass attempts in the first half, but only 10 in the second half.

The reason why the number of carries of Bell was very high is that firstly the steelers had a good lead in the second half and secondly in the first half, the Ravens offense had a lot of 3 and out, that's why Bell finished the game with close to 40 touches.

It will not always be like that and yes it would be nice if Conner sees a little more action.

SteelerFanInStl
10-03-2017, 12:09 PM
if I remember correctly, Ben had 20 pass attempts in the first half, but only 10 in the second half.

The reason why the number of carries of Bell was very high is that firstly the steelers had a good lead in the second half and secondly in the first half, the Ravens offense had a lot of 3 and out, that's why Bell finished the game with close to 40 touches.

It will not always be like that and yes it would be nice if Conner sees a little more action.

Yes, Ben had around 160 yards passing in the first half. As always is the case, Haley went conservative in the 2nd half and Bal got back in it.

I know why Bell had that many carries. Conner should be getting more carries though and we shouldn't be just abandoning the passing game when we get a lead.

I'm very happy with the win. I couldn't possibly care less about fantasy numbers. I used to be a huge fantasy football player but I stopped about 10 years ago because it was all anyone cared about. They didn't care about the game any more.

steel striker
10-03-2017, 01:05 PM
Like Ben has said many times the only stat that matters is the W.

steelreserve
10-03-2017, 02:07 PM
It's not the stats that were making me think he was off his game; it was looking like he was off his game that made me think he was off his game.

The entire offense looked like shit for the first three weeks. The Baltimore game was the first one where we got any kind of coherent ball movement or anything that resembled actual drives. Before that it was just one first down and then punt, or if we were lucky, score as a result of a big play. And even against the Ravens, we only had decent ball movement in fits and starts. Overall, we need to be better than we have been, otherwise the one stat that matters will be an L at the wrong time.

Born2Steel
10-03-2017, 02:28 PM
Go back and check game film. I encourage everyone. Pay special attention to penalties and when they occur. Drive killer penalties. As I have said many times on here, penalties and turnovers will lose more games than anything else. Most were against our OLine in each game. Granted we are a bit pieced together right now, but holds, and headbutts when we're driving have a lot to do with getting an offense off rhythm. Bell was switched on so I have zero issue with Ben's pass count being lower. It should be even lower against the Jags. Sorry fantasy players, real football comes first. This season has a long way to go, and it's a marathon not a sprint, and any other cliché coachspeak that fits here.

pczach
10-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Ben showed he can throw it all over the yard and pile up stats over several years while the team was rebuilding. He carried the team. Most quarterbacks would have struggled to win 4 games with that roster, but Ben was able to keep them respectable at 8-8 or better.

That's when you know the true worth of a quarterback. He had a sketchy offensive line, young players everywhere on offense, a defense that's a sieve that gave up tons of big plays and made mistake after mistake. He's a little older, but the organization put great talent around him, and that youth that made things difficult a few years ago has matured and even more young talent has been added.

Most quarterbacks would have been a complete disaster, but Ben was able to carry that burden and still succeed.

The team is winning. Ben is playing complimentary football with the running game, and he's been trying to keep down the turnovers to help the defense. At some point, he's going to go out there and have some big games because that will be the game plan.

Let's just keep winning games.

lipps83
10-03-2017, 03:56 PM
It's not the stats that were making me think he was off his game; it was looking like he was off his game that made me think he was off his game.

The entire offense looked like shit for the first three weeks. The Baltimore game was the first one where we got any kind of coherent ball movement or anything that resembled actual drives. Before that it was just one first down and then punt, or if we were lucky, score as a result of a big play. And even against the Ravens, we only had decent ball movement in fits and starts. Overall, we need to be better than we have been, otherwise the one stat that matters will be an L at the wrong time.

Get out of here with reality. Everything has just been dreamy. Steelers are 9-1 in last 10, but no one will mention they were average to mediocre teams (with exception to Dolphins and Chiefs in playoffs, but not included in regular season record).

Hell, THE CLEVELAND BROWNS ARE 3 OF THOSE WINS. Yet no one will mention that since the Browns are 1-10 in that same span and it would screw with dreamyland.

polamalubeast
10-03-2017, 04:01 PM
Get out of here with reality. Everything has just been dreamy. Steelers are 9-1 in last 10, but no one will mention they were average to mediocre teams (with exception to Dolphins and Chiefs in playoffs, but not included in regular season record).

Hell, THE CLEVELAND BROWNS ARE 3 OF THOSE WINS. Yet no one will mention that since the Browns are 1-10 in that same span and it would screw with dreamyland.

2,not 3,since the win in week 17 against the Browns was with Landry Jones...

steelreserve
10-03-2017, 04:44 PM

I honestly was not even aware of any winning or losing streak like that ... yes, a win's a win, but we were fortunate to get some of our wins so far this season with the offense struggling. Part of that's been good play by the defense, and part of it's been incompetence on the part of our opponents. But this looks like a completely different offense from the one we had last season.

We've also been very fortunate in our three wins that we've had no critical turnovers, and that we had some key breaks early so we were playing with the lead rather than from behind or slugging it out on equal footing. Yes, we created some of those breaks ourselves, but it's not the kind of thing you can always count on.

What we need is to be reasonably certain we'll move the ball 20 or 25 yards on MOST drives, and then as long as the defense and special teams just do an average job, we put ourselves in a lot better position to score points, be the ones to get big turnovers in their territory, and have our turnovers happen where it matters less. The field position game is important, and you don't win it with one big play every three possessions.

lipps83
10-03-2017, 05:02 PM
2,not 3,since the win in week 17 against the Browns was with Landry Jones...

I reject your reality and substitute my own. :)

Born2Steel
10-03-2017, 06:20 PM

Average to mediocre teams? According to all the pessimistic finger pointers on here, that's all the Steelers have been. So basically winning against equal competition and have a couple big game wins. 9-1 out of last 10???? that's not even accurate. If counting the Dolphins and Chiefs as you did, have to count the Pats loss too. So that means 2 losses out of the last 5 games, which should be part of the last 10 games Ben was apparently lousy.

1. Go 1-0 this week
2. Win the division/make the playoffs
3. Win homefield throughout playoffs
4. Win the AFCCG
5. Win the SB

Just stick to the goals and life is much, much happier. But everybody has to find something to bitch about instead.

polamalubeast
10-03-2017, 06:49 PM
The steelers are maybe lucky, but they are 12-2, including the playoffs in their last 14 games.This year they are 3-1 and in the last few years, the steelers have always been at their best in december.

SteelerFanInStl
10-03-2017, 06:57 PM

Don't you think that's got a lot to do with the fact that our offense didn't play together in the preseason and Ben only played a handful of snaps? The first few games were preseason.

smokin3000gt
10-04-2017, 02:22 AM
Don't you think that's got a lot to do with the fact that our offense didn't play together in the preseason and Ben only played a handful of snaps? The first few games were preseason.

I agree.. we come out of the gate looking like a stale turd every year for the first couple games. Usually by game 3 the rust starts to break loose. It especially didn't help that LVB decided to get his practice reps in during the season

steelreserve
10-04-2017, 06:23 AM

This being a professional football team, there's no excuse for that. You come out unprepared, it's because YOU fucked up.

No, the sky is not falling and we're not the Browns, omg Steelers fans not happy unless we win every game 72-0, etc., etc. ... but I will say we are goddamn lucky that we aren't 1-3 right now, because we have been playing teams we could beat without being at our best. I know we can do better, but that kind of effort is not going to cut it throughout the season.

lipps83
10-04-2017, 08:48 AM
This being a professional football team, there's no excuse for that. You come out unprepared, it's because YOU fucked up.

No, the sky is not falling and we're not the Browns, omg Steelers fans not happy unless we win every game 72-0, etc., etc. ... but I will say we are goddamn lucky that we aren't 1-3 right now, because we have been playing teams we could beat without being at our best. I know we can do better, but that kind of effort is not going to cut it throughout the season.

Exactly. The Steelers are fortunate to be 3-1, they have looked ill-prepared in every game with exception to this last one against a Ravens team that is in complete disarray (and got smoked the week before). This is a professional team, they should not be taking half a season to get up to speed.

With all of the talent this offense apparently has, maybe they are just not as good as initially thought.

Remember after the struggle with the Browns week 1, Big Ben said the Browns were going to surprise people this year because they were good and competitive that game? Back in reality, the Browns aren't surprising anyone and they are the same Browns everyone automatically assumed they would be. Everyone just over-estimated how good the Steelers actually were.

I am not saying the Steelers can't turn this around and compete with top teams. Just now, I see them as an average team in a division with 3 bad teams so at the least they should be able win the division and make the playoffs. I have a hard time seeing them going any further than that.

fansince'76
10-04-2017, 07:57 PM
I am not saying the Steelers can't turn this around and compete with top teams. Just now, I see them as an average team in a division with 3 bad teams so at the least they should be able win the division and make the playoffs. I have a hard time seeing them going any further than that.

With all due respect, who, exactly, are these "top teams?"

As far as the AFC goes, the only team I've seen that looks even remotely like a top team so far this season is the Chiefs.

The Patriots have a great offense (as usual), but their D is giving up 32 ppg and is a hot mess (and they're VERY lucky they're not 1-3 right now, even though 3 of their first 4 games have been at home where they're supposedly "unbeatable").

Conversely, the Broncos are very strong on D, but their offense is EXTREMELY pedestrian and unlike the Steelers' offense (which I think has massively underachieved thus far), I think theirs is pretty much performing at its ceiling.

The Raiders look to have cooled off big time from last year and now Carr is out for a minimum of 2 weeks and they're only sitting at .500.

As for the AFC South, give me a break.

I feel pretty good about how things are laying right now, especially if Ben can manage to break out of the funk he's been in.

Craic
10-04-2017, 08:48 PM

Wait, so the Steelers suck against mediocre teams, but when they go 9-1 against those same teams, everything is still bad?

fansince'76
10-04-2017, 09:05 PM

Wait, so the Steelers suck against mediocre teams, but when they go 9-1 against those same teams, everything is still bad?

:mod:

:chuckle:

pczach
10-05-2017, 04:12 AM

You're finally catching on! :bounce:

SteelerFanInStl
10-05-2017, 08:37 AM

:sofunny: This seems to be a common thought process among a lot of Steeler fans.

Psycho Ward 86
10-05-2017, 03:18 PM

thats just a change in the narrative. what i extrapolated from the post is that we suck against mediocre teams, but having a great record against them starting in the 2nd half of last season is nothing to be proud of, it should just be considered business as usual. Unfortunately for us, beating teams under .500 has been anything but business as usual

In layman terms, 9-1 against bad teams isnt bad. Its just underwhelming. The thing about being a fan of a superbowl contender is that you tend to not give yourself participation points for meager accomplishments. Maybe thats just me

Born2Steel
10-05-2017, 04:33 PM
thats just a change in the narrative. what i extrapolated from the post is that we suck against mediocre teams, but having a great record against them starting in the 2nd half of last season is nothing to be proud of, it should just be considered business as usual. Unfortunately for us, beating teams under .500 has been anything but business as usual

In layman terms, 9-1 against bad teams isnt bad. Its just underwhelming. The thing about being a fan of a superbowl contender is that you tend to not give yourself participation points for meager accomplishments. Maybe thats just me

When you play 10 games, the record only reflects your own wins and losses. 9-1 means you won 9 and lost 1. Any team or fanbase SHOULD be happy with that. Otherwise every season is going to be pretty damned boring because most teams are worse than us year in and year out.(RECORDWISE) So if the Bears end up 9-7, are we still counting this as a loss to a sub .500 team? It just gets silly and ridiculous, week in and week out, of 'they didn't win good enough.'

Mojouw
10-05-2017, 05:07 PM
When you play 10 games, the record only reflects your own wins and losses. 9-1 means you won 9 and lost 1. Any team or fanbase SHOULD be happy with that. Otherwise every season is going to be pretty damned boring because most teams are worse than us year in and year out.(RECORDWISE) So if the Bears end up 9-7, are we still counting this as a loss to a sub .500 team? It just gets silly and ridiculous, week in and week out, of 'they didn't win good enough.'

Agree. You can only beat the team in front of you.

Steelers do that more often than not and more than most franchises.