PDA

View Full Version : Week 5:Jaguars(2-2)

polamalubeast
10-01-2017, 05:50 PM
I do not think the Jaguars are a bad team.It's just a team with a horrible QB.Bortles was horrible against the jets today.

Their defense against the pass is very good and yes their run defense was horrible against the jets, it was mainly because of 2 long runs of more than 70 yards.

If our defense contains Fournette and our pass defense continues to play as right now against the horrible QB, the steelers should be in a good position to win this game.

Edman
10-01-2017, 05:57 PM
The Jaguars actually aren't a trash team, so it may be a good game for Pittsburgh.

86WARD
10-01-2017, 06:19 PM
The Jags defense is actually really good and if the Steelers can’t stop their run game, could be a long day.

teegre
10-01-2017, 06:20 PM
What scares me:
--the Jaguars defense is great
--Fournette

What doesn't scare me:
--Bortles

SUMMATION:
This is basically a second helping of the Ravens game: be patient on offense, stop the run, and make an underwhelming QB try to beat you.

86WARD
10-01-2017, 06:26 PM
Classic trap game. Win versus biggest rival, followed by a “lesser team” and looking forward to the best team in the AFC...

polamalubeast
10-01-2017, 06:27 PM
Classic trap game. Win versus biggest rival, followed by a “lesser team” and looking forward to the best team in the AFC...

This is not a trap game....The Jaguars are not bad.....They just have a bad QB....The game is also at home....

86WARD
10-01-2017, 06:36 PM
Trap games don’t have to be on the road. The Jags have a bad QB, missing their #1 WR and this should be an easy win at home for this team. Should be...if they don’t prepare well for this game, they could wind up losing it.

polamalubeast
10-01-2017, 06:40 PM
Trap games don’t have to be on the road. They have a bad QB and this should be an easy win at home for this team. Should be...if they don’t prepare well for this game, they could wind up losing it.

Agree on the bold...

But I do not think it should be an easy victory for the steelers since the jags were competitive at every game this year except for the second half against the titans.

If the steelers lose this game, it would be very disappointing, but it will not be disappointing like the lost against the Bears.The Bears are terrible,the Jags are not terrible.

BurghBoy412
10-01-2017, 06:46 PM
This game will be won or lost by the Steelers O-line and Ben.

Fournette will be motivated to show he can out perform Bell. Defense better be ready to hit someone.

polamalubeast
10-01-2017, 07:40 PM
I looked at the stats of the Jaguars and their run defense, even before today it's not very good.

Their pass defense is great too, so the steelers need to be patient in offense and Bell needs to be used a lot like today.....

GBMelBlount
10-01-2017, 07:43 PM
We are a better team top to bottom.

What matters most is how Ben perceives the Jaguars.

st33lersguy
10-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Steelers have been feasting on weaker Os this year, so the Steelers are definitely capable of stuffing the Jags. The offense is also playing at home where they play better. They got 26 against the Vikes at home who have a top tier defense, they most certainly could score that many against the Jags

fansince'76
10-01-2017, 07:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA

:chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
10-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Trap games don’t have to be on the road. The Jags have a bad QB, missing their #1 WR and this should be an easy win at home for this team. Should be...if they don’t prepare well for this game, they could wind up losing it.

our trap games that we lose are almost always on the road. Watch Ben light it up next week for no real reason other than the fact that he plays like that at home and the complete opposite anywhere else

im really surprised the jaguars run defense is ranked last. im sure people havent really been attempting to throw on them all that much since thats their forte but still, that front 7 has some outstanding players: Calais Campbell, Malik Jackson, Telvin Smith, Paul Poluzsny, and a lot of up and coming players.

I think Ben will have his 1st truly dominant game of the season either next week, or in 2 weeks against the Bengals (prediction brought to you by Ben plays great at home)

DesertSteel
10-01-2017, 10:39 PM
Fournette hasn't shown anything yet. Overhyped.

AtlantaDan
10-02-2017, 07:23 AM
The Jaguars actually aren't a trash team, so it may be a good game for Pittsburgh.

Certainly the postgame message Tomlin was sending

[C]oming off the field after dominating Baltimore, Mike Tomlin said loudly to the players within earshot: “Hey! We got a hot J-ville [Jacksonville] team coming to town next week! Whacked these guys [Baltimore] worse than we did. Let’s get ready to work!” Setting the stage already.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/02/nfl-week-4-rams-offense-deshaun-watson-patriots-defense-peter-king-mmqb

steel striker
10-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Yeah the Jags defense is pretty good lookout for Cambell he playing well and, they do have some playmakers on the offense. Hopefully the defense can make Bortlles look like Flacco did yesterday. I think after the Bears game the Steelers make have woke and, smelled the coffee.

86WARD
10-02-2017, 08:55 PM
I think Ben will have his 1st truly dominant game of the season either next week, or in 2 weeks against the Bengals (prediction brought to you by Ben plays great at home)

I could totally see that and I could see most of that going to Brown to “make up”for the Ravens game.

Psycho Ward 86
10-02-2017, 08:59 PM
Jaguars ranked 1st against the pass, last against the run.

Steelers with the 2nd most sacks in the league. The only team ahead of them? The Jaguars. Hmm.

teegre
10-02-2017, 09:36 PM

Steelers with the 2nd most sacks in the league. The only team ahead of them? The Jaguars. Hmm.

So...

My gameplan: run the ball.

Haley's gameplan: 80/20 pass/run with the majority of those passes utilizing an empty backfield

Joking aside, 25 carries each for both Bell and Conner.

BurghBoy412
10-02-2017, 10:10 PM

Steelers with the 2nd most sacks in the league. The only team ahead of them? The Jaguars. Hmm.They're going to be coming for Ben. Best thing to do is run the shit outta the ball and throw short quick passes. Get a lead and force Bottles to beat you.

BurghBoy412
10-02-2017, 10:14 PM
So...

Haley's gameplan: 80/20 pass/run with the majority of those passes utilizing an empty backfield

Joking aside, 25 carries each for both Bell and Conner.80/20 more like 95/5. I heard he's thinking of running the spread for this game. He wants to utilize Ben's running ability.

teegre
10-02-2017, 10:17 PM
He wants to utilize Ben's running ability.

I just saw Alex Smith lined up as the RB. I hope that that doesn't give Haley any ideas...

BurghBoy412
10-02-2017, 10:22 PM
Fournette vs. Jets
https://youtu.be/61vWad-iHmk

BurghBoy412
10-02-2017, 10:24 PM
I just saw Alex Smith lined up as the RB. I hope that that doesn't give Haley any ideas...You never know with Haley. Well maybe not. Can you say PREDICTABLE?

st33lersguy
10-02-2017, 10:45 PM
So...

Not to mention about a dozen bubble screens, a dozen wraparound draws, and a trick play at the wrong time

EzraTank
10-03-2017, 08:45 AM
They just better not look past them to get at the 5-0 Chiefs (assuming they win at Houston).

Moose
10-03-2017, 09:28 AM
We are NOT a good team, thererfore Jax are a very lose-able game. Look at the Chicago game, and even the Cleveland game. This team is inconsistent as hell, and most of the time unprepared and poorly coached. We have a lot of talent, but I'm not sure the talent knows how to utilize themselves yet.

Iron Steeler
10-03-2017, 10:03 AM
We are NOT a good team, thererfore Jax are a very lose-able game. Look at the Chicago game, and even the Cleveland game. This team is inconsistent as hell, and most of the time unprepared and poorly coached. We have a lot of talent, but I'm not sure the talent knows how to utilize themselves yet.

Defense: Has been plating great A
Running Game: Finally on track B-
Passing Game: Ben and WR need to get their rhythm down D
Special Teams: Nothing bad to evaluate B

We are at a B- or C range as a whole

Moose
10-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Defense: Has been plating great A
Running Game: Finally on track B-
Passing Game: Ben and WR need to get their rhythm down D
Special Teams: Nothing bad to evaluate B

We are at a B- or C range as a whole

Your grading system is just based on your thoughts/feelings. There is no charts. Me saying this is NOT a good team is based on MY OPINION. I still see missed tackles, Ben making terrible throw's (high, low, in front of or behind receivers), dropped ball, timing still off, player's in wrong spots or running wrong routes, NO pass rushing, NO pass coverage ( 5-10 cushions and then trying to run the receiver down), NOT being able to get the opponent off the field in 3rd and longs. And especially, NOT being able to put a team away ..... no killer instinct. Stupid ass play calling. We can't recognize when to play the run game or the pass game. 3rd and 2 and they still go for long balls ..... when just picking up 1st downs would kill the opponent. Again, stupid play calling. Don't get me wrong, we have great player's in many of the positions, BUT as I also said some are not being utilized to the fullest. I think the coaches are having trouble figuring when to have the running game powered up. After 8 weeks of football ( 4 preseason 4 regular) I think pieces of puzzle should start coming together, and in most cases they're not. Haley leaves me scratching my head and saying ' WTF ' was that? a lot. We never seem to be able to put a team away. I just feel there should never be 'trap' games. The player's should go out every game with the kill/win attitude and the coaches should have that attitude beat in them all week no matter who the opponent or their record. But that doesn't seem to be the case. That's why a winless team can still leave me nervous when playing the Black/Gold. GO STEELERS

polamalubeast
10-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Your grading system is just based on your thoughts/feelings. There is no charts. Me saying this is NOT a good team is based on MY OPINION. I still see missed tackles, Ben making terrible throw's (high, low, in front of or behind receivers), dropped ball, timing still off, player's in wrong spots or running wrong routes, NO pass rushing, NO pass coverage ( 5-10 cushions and then trying to run the receiver down), NOT being able to get the opponent off the field in 3rd and longs. And especially, NOT being able to put a team away ..... no killer instinct. Stupid ass play calling. We can't recognize when to play the run game or the pass game. 3rd and 2 and they still go for long balls ..... when just picking up 1st downs would kill the opponent. Again, stupid play calling. Don't get me wrong, we have great player's in many of the positions, BUT as I also said some are not being utilized to the fullest. I think the coaches are having trouble figuring when to have the running game powered up. After 8 weeks of football ( 4 preseason 4 regular) I think pieces of puzzle should start coming together.

Fortunately, the steelers are 3-1, after their biggest win in Baltimore ever ...

C'mon, the steelers are not perfect, but the victory against the Ravens is a step in the right direction.You can be happy sometimes ...

86WARD
10-03-2017, 10:46 AM

Ramon Foster agrees with you!!!

Born2Steel
10-03-2017, 10:56 AM
Your grading system is just based on your thoughts/feelings. There is no charts. Me saying this is NOT a good team is based on MY OPINION. I still see missed tackles, Ben making terrible throw's (high, low, in front of or behind receivers), dropped ball, timing still off, player's in wrong spots or running wrong routes, NO pass rushing, NO pass coverage ( 5-10 cushions and then trying to run the receiver down), NOT being able to get the opponent off the field in 3rd and longs. And especially, NOT being able to put a team away ..... no killer instinct. Stupid ass play calling. We can't recognize when to play the run game or the pass game. 3rd and 2 and they still go for long balls ..... when just picking up 1st downs would kill the opponent. Again, stupid play calling. Don't get me wrong, we have great player's in many of the positions, BUT as I also said some are not being utilized to the fullest. I think the coaches are having trouble figuring when to have the running game powered up. After 8 weeks of football ( 4 preseason 4 regular) I think pieces of puzzle should start coming together, and in most cases they're not. Haley leaves me scratching my head and saying ' WTF ' was that? a lot. We never seem to be able to put a team away. That's why a winless team can still leave me nervous when playing the Black/Gold. GO STEELERS

I think you should plan to see a lot more of the run game against the Jags. Plus the ever infuriating screens and dump offs like against the Ravens. Our defense has been playing great, no confusion about that. I believe that continues, if only based on what I have witnessed this season. Nothing wrong with being nervous about any game. That's only a sign that you're a fan and you actually care about the outcome. Any given Sunday applies to every team, not just the Steelers. I think the Jags fans have more to be nervous about this week though.

polamalubeast
10-03-2017, 11:16 AM

tube517
10-03-2017, 11:20 AM

Moose
10-03-2017, 01:51 PM
Fortunately, the steelers are 3-1, after their biggest win in Baltimore ever ...

C'mon, the steelers are not perfect, but the victory against the Ravens is a step in the right direction.You can be happy sometimes ...

I am damn happy with the win in Balt, don't think I ain't. But let's not fool ourselves either. Balt. isn't the old Balt., and with our talent we should have beat them by the points we did, if not more. Just as we should have beat Bear's by at least that spread also....but didn't ! Sorry, just because they finally won a game that they should have so I'm not giving them a pass. Congrats on a big division win, I'm happy about that. But 1 decent, kick ass win does not make a very good team. Let's see what happens in the next 3 games. KC is a pretty damn decent team with a not so much QB. and then the bungholes at home....well another division game, so that ought to be interesting also. GO STEELERS

polamalubeast
10-03-2017, 02:05 PM
I am damn happy with the win in Balt, don't think I ain't. But let's not fool ourselves either. Balt. isn't the old Balt., and with our talent we should have beat them by the points we did, if not more. Just as we should have beat Bear's by at least that spread also....but didn't ! Sorry, just because they finally won a game that they should have so I'm not giving them a pass. Congrats on a big division win, I'm happy about that. But 1 decent, kick ass win does not make a very good team. Let's see what happens in the next 3 games. KC is a pretty damn decent team with a not so much QB. and then the bungholes at home....well another division game, so that ought to be interesting also. GO STEELERS

It's never easy to win against your rival, especially on the road...Remember when the Steelers lost a must win game against the Ravens with Ryan Mallett in 2015 ....And the steelers would have had 30 points against the very good defense of the ravens if they would not have been for 2 at the end of the first half and that our kicker would have not missed his FG in the third quarter.

In general it was a very good performance in a place that the steelers were 3-11 since 2003.

Also, it's time to move on for the defeat against Chicago.

st33lersguy
10-03-2017, 02:09 PM
I think my biggest concern is them coming out flat after a big win in Baltimore. In Tomlin's 3 previous wins in Baltimore, they are 1-2 and have shown a tendency to come out flat the next week
2008: Next game @ Titans, fell behind 10-0 in an eventual 31-14 loss to the Titans
2010: Next game vs Bengals, scored a 23-7 win at home against a 4-12 Bengals team, but trailed 7-0 late in the 2nd quarter before being jolted by an Troy INT return for a TD
2012: Next game vs Chargers, fell behind 13-0 and eventually 27-3 in a 34-24 loss at home to a 7-9 Chargers team

The good news though is Ben's 20-1 record at home in October

Psycho Ward 86
10-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Fun fact: The last sack Maurkice Pouncey gave up came against the Jaguars.

That was 3 years ago.

Malik Jackson will be a formidable test for him this week

86WARD
10-04-2017, 06:13 PM
The thing about Jacksonville’s defense is that they are really good against the pass but really bad against the run. If they can get Bell and Connor going, they should be good.

BurghBoy412
10-04-2017, 06:38 PM
The thing about Jacksonville’s defense is that they are really good against the pass but really bad against the run. If they can get Bell and Connor going, they should be good.
This probably means they'll try and throw it a bunch.

Mojouw
10-04-2017, 06:39 PM
I think my biggest concern is them coming out flat after a big win in Baltimore. In Tomlin's 3 previous wins in Baltimore, they are 1-2 and have shown a tendency to come out flat the next week
2008: Next game @ Titans, fell behind 10-0 in an eventual 31-14 loss to the Titans
2010: Next game vs Bengals, scored a 23-7 win at home against a 4-12 Bengals team, but trailed 7-0 late in the 2nd quarter before being jolted by an Troy INT return for a TD
2012: Next game vs Chargers, fell behind 13-0 and eventually 27-3 in a 34-24 loss at home to a 7-9 Chargers team

The good news though is Ben's 20-1 record at home in October

That is not just a Tomlin/Steelers thing. It is a trend for the Ravens as well and several other NFL teams the week after they engage in a brutal physical match-up with their most bitter division rival. I don't think it is so much coming out flat as coming out of the tunnel already beat to shit from the previous week.

Psycho Ward 86
10-04-2017, 06:49 PM

are they actually REALLY good? Abouye and Ramsey I totally believe are for real. Gipson has had an up and down career. Church is solid but not unexploitable. They've played against Tom Savage/Deshaun Watson's 1st start ever, Marcus Mariota, a significantly injured Joe Flacco, and Josh McCown. Not to mention with a run defense that porous their pass defense numbers get further inflated. Cant say im too impressed. Same can be said about our defense vs. the level of competition but our defense has been tops or nearly tops in the league in all major categories for the past dozen plus games or so, plus returning mostly the same roster so our body of work is more convincing.

Big Ben for 325 yards and 3 TD's. Followed by a meltdown at Arrowhead stadium the following week

polamalubeast
10-04-2017, 06:58 PM
are they actually REALLY good? Abouye and Ramsey I totally believe are for real. Gipson has had an up and down career. Church is solid but not unexploitable. They've played against Tom Savage/Deshaun Watson's 1st start ever, Marcus Mariota, a significantly injured Joe Flacco, and Josh McCown. Not to mention with a run defense that porous their pass defense numbers get further inflated. Cant say im too impressed. Same can be said about our defense vs. the level of competition but our defense has been tops or nearly tops in the league in all major categories for the past dozen plus games or so, plus returning mostly the same roster so our body of work is more convincing.

Big Ben for 325 yards and 3 TD's. Followed by a meltdown at Arrowhead stadium the following week

If we look at last year, the Jaguars were a good defense against the pass...Only 6.6 YPA for the opposing QB in 2016.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/jax/2016.htm

Yes, they were last for interceptions, but they rarely had the lead....The only possibility that Roethlisberger has 300 yards is if the steelers are behind a lot in the 4th quarter and that is when Ben has a lot of his yards in garbage time.

And no, Ben will not have a meltdown in KC...How many times has Roethlisberger had a disastrous game in his career? It rarely happens

GBMelBlount
10-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Hopefully Ben starts playing like the top shelf QB he is.

Otherwise we will have to rely on our running game and defense to carry us.

If I were calling the plays...

Run Forrest run!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/g4OPX5P9DlQ/maxresdefault.jpg

RunNGun
10-04-2017, 09:12 PM
Jags have a lot of athletes on that defense. They're a very scary team on paper. A ton of talent on both sides of the ball. If they're clicking on all cylinders they can look like a top 5 team in the league. We need to come out and hit em in the mouth early.

Fournette scares me because big physical backs can really wear our finesse style of defense down. We need to control the clock again like last week. TOP has been our kryptonite thus far. If we control it, we win big. If Jags have success running the ball and controlling the clock, look for a nail biter.

Matchup to watch: AB vs. Jalen Ramsey

Psycho Ward 86
10-05-2017, 06:09 PM
Jags have a lot of athletes on that defense. They're a very scary team on paper. A ton of talent on both sides of the ball. If they're clicking on all cylinders they can look like a top 5 team in the league. We need to come out and hit em in the mouth early.

Fournette scares me because big physical backs can really wear our finesse style of defense down. We need to control the clock again like last week. TOP has been our kryptonite thus far. If we control it, we win big. If Jags have success running the ball and controlling the clock, look for a nail biter.

Matchup to watch: AB vs. Jalen Ramsey

finesse style defense? im not sure were watching the same defense. im pretty excited that were playing running backs with games that arent predicated on speed. were going to see a lot of tackles for loss and no gain on Sunday because our linebackers are fast enough to meet them at the hand off

BurghBoy412
10-05-2017, 10:15 PM
I'll be shaking my head if the game plan isn't shut down Fournette and make Bortles beat you.

hawaiiansteeler
10-05-2017, 11:20 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/cb/cd/f7/cbcdf7c3fde2e947a0da86c7e41167ef.jpg

RunNGun
10-06-2017, 12:01 AM
finesse style defense? im not sure were watching the same defense. im pretty excited that were playing running backs with games that arent predicated on speed. were going to see a lot of tackles for loss and no gain on Sunday because our linebackers are fast enough to meet them at the hand off

We are most definitely a finesse style of defense. We're built on speed. If we have to grind a game out against a big physical back then the D tires. We're built to stop thr pass. Ryan Howard ran through our LBS and DBs all game until they didn't want to tackle him any more. What game were you watching that week?

- - - Updated - - -

The fast RBs don't scare me near as much as the physical backs. We have arguably the fastest defense in football.

BlackAndGold
10-06-2017, 03:19 AM
Expect Bell to have a lot of carries this game.

Hoping for a Ben breakout game.

polamalubeast
10-06-2017, 06:12 AM
I'll be shaking my head if the game plan isn't shut down Fournette and make Bortles beat you.

But you must not put yourself in a too vulnerable position against the pass.

BurghBoy412
10-06-2017, 07:53 AM
But you must not put yourself in a too vulnerable position against the pass.Blake Bortles is prone to turn over the ball. I'd take my chances.

polamalubeast
10-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Blake Bortles is prone to turn over the ball. I'd take my chances.

I remember when the steelers played against Tebow and the steelers did everything to stop the run but they have been burned against the pass in this game!

BurghBoy412
10-06-2017, 11:12 AM
I remember when the steelers played against Tebow and the steelers did everything to stop the run but they have been burned against the pass in this game!Different team. Different Players. Not applicable to the conversation.

polamalubeast
10-06-2017, 11:23 AM
Different team. Different Players. Not applicable to the conversation.

It's just to say that a team must always respect the pass, no matter who is the QB, otherwise you can have bad surprise

Yes, the steelers have to stop the run against the Jaguars, but the steelers must not be stupid either.

BurghBoy412
10-06-2017, 11:59 AM
It's just to say that a team must always respect the pass, no matter who is the QB, otherwise you can have bad surprise

Yes, the steelers have to stop the run against the Jaguars, but the steelers must not be stupid either.Logical

BurghBoy412
10-06-2017, 12:07 PM
I don't expect the "Jag offs" to deviate from what they've been doing. I suspect they'll try to utilize a Fournette/ Ivory combo to see if they can get some of those chunk run plays the Steelers have been giving up. Then they'll try to stop Bell and make Ben beat them with his arm. IMO the key to this game and it's difficulty is on the Steelers O-line. They had better be ready to play come Sunday. If they have a sub par performance it's going to be a long day.

Born2Steel
10-06-2017, 12:44 PM
I don't expect the "Jag offs" to deviate from what they've been doing. I suspect they'll try to utilize a Fournette/ Ivory combo to see if they can get some of those chunk run plays the Steelers have been giving up. Then they'll try to stop Bell and make Ben beat them with his arm. IMO the key to this game and it's difficulty is on the Steelers O-line. They had better be ready to play come Sunday. If they have a sub par performance it's going to be a long day.

Sounds like the plan. So, maybe a good old fashioned slugfest?
As much as I would love to see Ben torch the Jags for 400 and 3TDs, with AB, Bryant, and JuJu all getting one, the smart play is going to be Bell. Mix in some Conner, I'm ready to see this guy play some. Defense has got to play smart and bring the focus.

AtlantaDan
10-06-2017, 01:39 PM

Mojouw
10-06-2017, 02:08 PM

That will make it, what, sometime in 2015 that all 22 starters played together?

86WARD
10-06-2017, 03:49 PM
That will make it, what, sometime in 2015 that all 22 starters played together?

43Hitman
10-06-2017, 03:58 PM
I heard a couple of cool stats today.

1.) The Jaguars are 6-30 when Bortles turns the ball over at least once.

2.) Bortles has played in 50 games(not started) and has 52 interceptions.

:jawdrop2:

Psycho Ward 86
10-06-2017, 04:06 PM

And Ben is as dangerous as any quarterback at home. Steelers 34-19

43Hitman
10-06-2017, 04:08 PM
And Ben is as dangerous as any quarterback at home. Steelers 34-19

Damn sure is, and he'll be looking to make a point that everything is okay with him and AB. AB goes off in this game.

polamalubeast
10-06-2017, 04:18 PM

Psycho Ward 86
10-06-2017, 04:22 PM
Damn sure is, and he'll be looking to make a point that everything is okay with him and AB. AB goes off in this game.

yeah i think this will be Ben's 1st big statement game. but dont worry, he'll have his worst game the following week to keep it interesting :lol:

Born2Steel
10-06-2017, 04:34 PM
So what is it that the Jags do well? They run the ball with Fournette and Ivory. Not much of a threat in the passing game. Read an article on SD that they play mostly power run, hardly ever run that sweep play the Bears used. Still have to be ready for it. This sounds like the type of game where our dline depth will be more important that the defensive splash plays. I agree with what was posted before, stop the run and make them try to beat us through the air.

Defensively, the Jags have a pretty good secondary. I'll misspell the names but you guys can look them up. They're pretty good. The Jags also have a very decent dline. They don't look good, on paper, at stopping the run, but they're not as bad as it looks. That said, I believe we can move the ball on this team. Have to be patient this week. Let the set up plays happen, wait for the opportunities, strike when defense is where we want them. This is a dangerous team, not to be overlooked.

Steelers 24
Jags 20

43Hitman
10-06-2017, 05:01 PM
yeah i think this will be Ben's 1st big statement game. but dont worry, he'll have his worst game the following week to keep it interesting :lol:

:lol: :drink:

43Hitman
10-06-2017, 05:48 PM
So do the Steelers come out in base and dare Bortles to beat them?

86WARD
10-06-2017, 07:29 PM
They should. They need to stop the run. Jacksonville runs the ball no matter what situation they are in and against the game flow. Pretty much a touch of vintage Coughlin, if they don’t contain Fournette, they could be in for a long day. Jacksonville is the number two rushing team in the league. Just dont give up the big run...

Psycho Ward 86
10-06-2017, 08:01 PM
Interesting thing about the base defense, apparently its our weakest formation against the run so far: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/steelers-base-3-4-defense-struggled-run-first-4-games/

YPC by formation

Base: 5.44 (57 attempts)

Nickel: 3.3 (33 attempts)

Dime: 6.17 (6 attempts)

Goal Line: 1 (2 attempts)

i wonder what the time and situation of those rushes are but something interesting

BurghBoy412
10-06-2017, 08:39 PM
I'm pretty confident they'll dominate this game. Fournette will get his welcome the "Real NFL" this week. The D-Line should feast on Jville's O-line. The Jags are pretty weak at the guard spots. I suspect the "Grave Digger" will have a Big Day! One big key to stopping Fournette will be making sure to wrap up. Stick and Wrap dammit!

Edman
10-06-2017, 09:07 PM

The Defense is very fast and hard hitting, except they overpursue and miss tackles. Very fixable with time. I expect the Defense to clamp down tighter come December, which is quite scary because they've been pretty stout so far.

43Hitman
10-07-2017, 05:29 AM
Interesting thing about the base defense, apparently its our weakest formation against the run so far: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/steelers-base-3-4-defense-struggled-run-first-4-games/

YPC by formation

Base: 5.44 (57 attempts)

Nickel: 3.3 (33 attempts)

Dime: 6.17 (6 attempts)

Goal Line: 1 (2 attempts)

i wonder what the time and situation of those rushes are but something interesting

And that's without Gravedigger on the field. I would love for them to find a way to keep him on the field in Nickel situations. I think the last couple of teams have come out in "11" personnel just to keep him off the field.

AtlantaDan
10-07-2017, 10:16 AM

Yep -Bill Simmons among others is not on board the Bortles bandwagon this weekend

A 6-point teaser just to say we bet against Carson Palmer AND Blake Bortles on the road …

TEASE: STEELERS (-8.5 over Jaguars) and EAGLES (-6.5 over Cards)

… Steelers drop to -2, Eagles drop to -0.5, BOTH teams have to cover.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/10/6/16437598/nfl-week-5-picks-mailbag-tortured-fan-bases

An opportunity to bet against Bortles on the road and Bruce Arians in one bet? Must. Resist. Temptation.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-07-2017, 11:35 AM
I would not be surprised to see Matakevich and Chickillo get more time this week on defense. Williams hasn't impressed much as a run defender and that is his strength. Have to put Bortles in 3rd and 5 or more, often and take away the TE. Definitely try and make him beat you. Offensively, this needs to be an instance of imposing some physical will by the O line for the Steelers. Not having Gilbert makes that more difficult IMO.

polamalubeast
10-07-2017, 12:35 PM

Shoes
10-07-2017, 12:49 PM

No problem BJ Finney will step up.

Born2Steel
10-07-2017, 12:52 PM
I would not be surprised to see Matakevich and Chickillo get more time this week on defense. Williams hasn't impressed much as a run defender and that is his strength. Have to put Bortles in 3rd and 5 or more, often and take away the TE. Definitely try and make him beat you. Offensively, this needs to be an instance of imposing some physical will by the O line for the Steelers. Not having Gilbert makes that more difficult IMO.

No holding penalties this week.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-07-2017, 12:57 PM
No holding penalties this week.

I think Hubbard is good for 1 hold and 1 false start penalty. He's not starting OT material.

Psycho Ward 86
10-07-2017, 01:56 PM

How would Chickillo's playing time take Williams off the field? Were weak against outside zone runs, and the cutbacks that come back with over pursuit. Williams and Mitchell are the clear cut weakest links on defense and those are still some pretty good "weak links." What has Matakevich shown that makes him a viable possible alternative? He's had games like against the dolphins where he's in on a ton of tackles that give up 8 yard runs. Williams has a strong body of work as a run defender as a starter in numerous games over the years. No reason to believe that it somehow disappeared through 4 games.

- - - Updated - - -

fantastic. that should buy him 4 more weeks for the I Love Excuses for the Offense crowd

fansince'76
10-07-2017, 03:38 PM
NO pass rushing, NO pass coverage ( 5-10 cushions and then trying to run the receiver down), NOT being able to get the opponent off the field in 3rd and longs.

It's still early, but the Steelers are currently 2nd in the league in total defense, pass defense and sacks... :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-07-2017, 03:41 PM
How would Chickillo's playing time take Williams off the field? Were weak against outside zone runs, and the cutbacks that come back with over pursuit. Williams and Mitchell are the clear cut weakest links on defense and those are still some pretty good "weak links." What has Matakevich shown that makes him a viable possible alternative? He's had games like against the dolphins where he's in on a ton of tackles that give up 8 yard runs. Williams has a strong body of work as a run defender as a starter in numerous games over the years. No reason to believe that it somehow disappeared through 4 games.

- - - Updated - - -

Chickillo is better at setting the edge in outside runs than Watt. I would not be surprised to see him see some more field on 1st downs.
Vince Williams had 3 tackles last week vs the Ravens and I have seen him over run the gap or choose the wrong gap several times this season. Matakevich likely is better at tacking between the tackles than VW right now, but his footspeed makes him a liability in getting to the edges.

SteelerFanInStl
10-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Chickillo is better at setting the edge in outside runs than Watt. I would not be surprised to see him see some more field on 1st downs.
Vince Williams had 3 tackles last week vs the Ravens and I have seen him over run the gap or choose the wrong gap several times this season. Matakevich likely is better at tacking between the tackles than VW right now, but his footspeed makes him a liability in getting to the edges.

Chickillo was terrible against the Bears. He gets pushed around like a rag doll.

tube517
10-07-2017, 05:39 PM
No problem BJ Finney will step up.

:lol:

Killer BJs.

Finney will beat the gatorade cooler easily.

86WARD
10-07-2017, 09:18 PM
Bryant hit the injury report today as questionable due to illness.

Born2Steel
10-07-2017, 10:29 PM
Bryant hit the injury report today as questionable due to illness.

Hmmm....seems to be a bug making it's way around the locker room. Started with AV, then Harrison, now Bryant? Not good.

BlackAndGold
10-08-2017, 12:28 AM
Per Adam Schefter: Bryant is expected to play.

Psycho Ward 86
10-08-2017, 01:02 AM

I agree that Vince's run defense hasnt been good so far like in the past but he has a big body of work, including starts that suggest that these are more likely aberrants, and not new bad habits.

Chick is better against outside runs than Watt? You really think Watt could have done even worse than Chick against the Bears? He was the worst defender on the field in week 3. I pray he never has to be on the field against running backs who can find the cut back lane the rest of the season. Im still not seeing how Chickillo would start seeing the field more against the Jags when he's our 4th best overall OLB, and could easily end up being the 2nd weakest run defender even though he's normally been pretty good in that regard. TJ Watt has been excellent at setting the edge already anyways and offers a lot more all around playmaking ability. Doesnt seem like a good tradeoff to try to go all in on stopping Ivory/Fournette. Sliding the snap counts a little higher for Chick and a little lower for TJ isnt going to make a meaningful positive difference

AtlantaDan
10-08-2017, 06:50 AM
P-G article reviews how Jags-Steelers actually was a spirited rivalry back in the day

Trailing 23-21 with only seconds remaining, Steelers kicker Norm Johnson lined up for a 40-yard field goal that would have won the game. But the attempt was blocked and returned for a touchdown by defensive back Chris Hudson. As Hudson was running down the sideline in front of the Steelers bench, Cowher took a step toward the field and cocked his arm as though he wanted to slug Hudson as he raced past him....

[Greg] Lloyd crushed [Keenan] McCardell with a vicious blindside hit in a 23-17 overtime victory at Three Rivers Stadium, retaliation for what Lloyd claimed was a threatening phone call made by McCardell to his house the week of the game....

[In 2005] Roethlisberger did not play against the Jaguars at Heinz Field because of a knee injury, giving Tommy Maddox the start. With the score tied at the end of regulation at 17-all, the Steelers began overtime at the Jaguars 26 following a 74-yard kick return by Quincy Morgan. But, on third-and-11, Maddox fumbled and the Jaguars recovered, ending the threat.

One possession later, Maddox threw his third interception of the game and cornerback Rashean Mathis returned the pick 41 yards for a touchdown and a 23-17 victory.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/07/steelers-jaguars-nfl-week-5-bill-cowher-mark-brunell-kordell-stewart-jerome-bettis-jeff-reed/stories/201710070042

Probably was not a best practice to make a threatening phone call to Greg Lloyd and then have to face him on the field :scratchchin:

Dissolv
10-08-2017, 08:36 AM
My prediction is a mini-coming out party for the Steelers Offense, but still just high 20's. This is driven by fewer drive killing penalties and finally hitting on 1-2 long balls/penalties. D manages a much better performance against the run, but still gives up 90-100 yards. Harrison sees playing time. Red zone defense remains stout.

After the game people are still sort of "meh" about the steelers offense, but both sides of the ball appear to be a work in progress that are going somewhere good. If they managed to connect on multiple big plays, say 3-4, AND finish the same drives with the big plays with a TD, the game could get out of hand, but that's more of a goal than an expectation at this point.

Dissolv

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-08-2017, 09:30 AM
I agree that Vince's run defense hasnt been good so far like in the past but he has a big body of work, including starts that suggest that these are more likely aberrants, and not new bad habits.

Chick is better against outside runs than Watt? You really think Watt could have done even worse than Chick against the Bears? He was the worst defender on the field in week 3. I pray he never has to be on the field against running backs who can find the cut back lane the rest of the season. Im still not seeing how Chickillo would start seeing the field more against the Jags when he's our 4th best overall OLB, and could easily end up being the 2nd weakest run defender even though he's normally been pretty good in that regard. TJ Watt has been excellent at setting the edge already anyways and offers a lot more all around playmaking ability. Doesnt seem like a good tradeoff to try to go all in on stopping Ivory/Fournette. Sliding the snap counts a little higher for Chick and a little lower for TJ isnt going to make a meaningful positive difference

Vince Williams has a big body of work? 155 career tackles and a primary backup is a big body of work?

Yes, Chickillo is stronger at the point of attack than Watt at this point. He is not as good of an athlete, but it would not surprise me to see him get more snaps against a run heavy offense.

Psycho Ward 86
10-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Vince Williams has a big body of work? 155 career tackles and a primary backup is a big body of work?

Yes, Chickillo is stronger at the point of attack than Watt at this point. He is not as good of an athlete, but it would not surprise me to see him get more snaps against a run heavy offense.

21 starts and 67 games isnt a big body of work to know what kind of you're getting? Its a mystery to me then why you think Matakevich is worthy of stealing snaps from him. If Chick is stronger at the point of attack than Watt at this point if sure didnt look like it against the Bears when he was getting completely pancaked, even on runs that werent even going towards him like an early Howard touchdown. Chickillo is fortunate that many defenders played poorly in week 3 because otherwise he would have been selectively picked up rather than coincidentally picked on

Neversatisfied
10-08-2017, 12:30 PM
This offense sucks, seriously this is insane

ALLD
10-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Offense is sleep walking. Are they trying to avoid breaking a sweat? Ben needs to go hurry up for the rest of the way.

st33lersguy
10-08-2017, 02:24 PM
Defense is giving up too. Not sure it matters much anyway

- - - Updated - - -

Best case scenario is 10-6 or 9-7 while benefiting from a weak division and a wildcard loss.

Mojouw
10-08-2017, 02:42 PM
Don't care about anything else. Your QB turns it over 4 times and directly gifts the other team 14 points, you lose every single damn time in the NFL.

I get it, two tips, a falling WR, and whatever.

This is not play calling. This is not coaching. This is not scheme. This is not terrible back-side contain on the defense. This is not bad run fills by the DBs and linebackers. This is not preparation. This is not complicated.

Ben Roethlisberger single-handedly lost this game. He made poor decisions and reads from the opening play to the final whistle. I type this with about 4 minutes and change left, so I will gladly eat my words if something magical happens, but I stand by the above.

ALLD
10-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Good thing I got rid of all my Steelers crap after the nonsense in Chicago.

Steeldude
10-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Don't care about anything else. Your QB turns it over 4 times and directly gifts the other team 14 points, you lose every single damn time in the NFL.

This is not play calling. This is not coaching. This is not scheme. This is not terrible back-side contain on the defense. This is not bad run fills by the DBs and linebackers. This is not preparation. This is not complicated.

Ben Roethlisberger single-handedly lost this game. He made poor decisions and reads from the opening play to the final whistle. I type this with about 4 minutes and change left, so I will gladly eat my words if something magical happens, but I stand by the above.

The Steelers weren't going to win the even if BR didn't throw a single INT.

Mojouw
10-08-2017, 03:00 PM
The Steelers weren't going to win the even if BR didn't throw a single INT.

Why? It was tied at 9. The defense did not play great, but they did enough to win.

This game was totally lost on the fact that Ben R scored 9 points for his team and14 for the other team.

There is literally nothing else to discuss.

Steelermania
10-08-2017, 03:06 PM

Ben Roethlisberger single-handedly lost this game. He made poor decisions and reads from the opening play to the final whistle. I type this with about 4 minutes and change left, so I will gladly eat my words if something magical happens, but I stand by the above.Have to totally agree. This is 100% on Ben. The Jags ran well at times, but the D really only gave up 3 points. Ben was off all game. You know, Munchak has gotten a lot more love than the rest of the coaches around here, but the O-line has been garbage in the run game. Hubbard is trash. I can't put this one in the "not ready to play" category. Also, the number of weapons this team has, has been vastly overrated.

- - - Updated - - -

Why? It was tied at 9. The defense did not play great, but they did enough to win.

This game was totally lost on the fact that Ben R scored 9 points for his team and14 for the other team.

There is literally nothing else to discuss.Actually, it was never tied. We had the lead, and the ball when Ben fell apart.

st33lersguy
10-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Watching Colts-49ers and George Kittle has made a few big plays, all while Vance McDonald has been useless

Mojouw
10-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Have to totally agree. This is 100% on Ben. The Jags ran well at times, but the D really only gave up 3 points. Ben was off all game. You know, Munchak has gotten a lot more love than the rest of the coaches around here, but the O-line has been garbage in the run game. Hubbard is trash. I can't put this one in the "not ready to play" category. Also, the number of weapons this team has, has been vastly overrated.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, it was never tied. We had the lead, and the ball when Ben fell apart.

Good point. My poorly worded post (don't type angry?) was trying to indicate that by my count, the defense only gave up 9 point. While they were by no means suffocating and they made several fundamental mistakes, they played well enough to win.

The QB did not.

86WARD
10-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Didn’t get to see the game but I said you can’t sleep on Jacksonville’s pass defense and that they’d run a vintage Tom Coughlin offense which, unfortunately, both turned out to be accurate.

BurghBoy412
10-08-2017, 03:49 PM
More than likely this team will be 3-3 traveling to Cincinnati for a first place deciding game.

Born2Steel
10-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Good point. My poorly worded post (don't type angry?) was trying to indicate that by my count, the defense only gave up 9 point. While they were by no means suffocating and they made several fundamental mistakes, they played well enough to win.

The QB did not.

My grievance here is we knew how to win today and played directly into the Jags strengths instead. WHY THROW 60 TIMES? Bell, Conner, even give a few to what's his name. Feed the run machine all day. Make this a 4 hour game if it comes to that. You cannot throw against that secondary when you only have one legit WR out there. This was the worst game plan I have ever seen by this staff. The Jags didn't even have to play very hard today. We gave it to their strength and went away from ours. We tried to lose this one. That's the ONLY explanation that makes sense.

BurghBoy412
10-08-2017, 06:50 PM
Honestly this is all probably Ross Cockrell's fault somehow. Give me time I'll figure out how to blame all of this on him.

st33lersguy
10-08-2017, 07:43 PM
My grievance here is we knew how to win today and played directly into the Jags strengths instead. WHY THROW 60 TIMES? Bell, Conner, even give a few to what's his name. Feed the run machine all day. Make this a 4 hour game if it comes to that. You cannot throw against that secondary when you only have one legit WR out there. This was the worst game plan I have ever seen by this staff. The Jags didn't even have to play very hard today. We gave it to their strength and went away from ours. We tried to lose this one. That's the ONLY explanation that makes sense.

I had a feeling the Steelers would get pass happy and play into the Jags strengths and I was right,

86WARD
10-08-2017, 10:56 PM
I had a feeling the Steelers would get pass happy and play into the Jags strengths and I was right,

It was a terrible game plan. Probably the worst possible game plan on offense and defense. Went totally opposite to what it should have been.

43Hitman
10-09-2017, 05:15 AM
It was a terrible game plan. Probably the worst possible game plan on offense and defense. Went totally opposite to what it should have been.
Reminds me of the Browns game where there were steady 30-40 mph winds and BA had Ben throw all day. When the Browns couldn't stop the run to save their lives. We lost that game too.

Steeldude
10-09-2017, 06:17 AM

There is literally nothing else to discuss.

The Steelers would have punted if not for the INTs. The Jags would feed the running game and push their way down field. The edge was open all day and Dupree is useless vs the run. The Steelers were flat for a game ... again.

If BR can throw up some prayers that are answered, they could beat the Chiefs. The Steelers pass defense has yet to be tested.

- - - Updated - - -

But the Tomlin apologists will come up with some absurd excuse to protect Tomlin.

One thing you can always be counted on with Tomlin's Steelers, they always remember to dance. They will forget their assignments and gaps, but those celebrations are never forgotten.

86WARD
10-09-2017, 07:35 AM
The stiff arm Fournette put on Dupree pretty much sums the defensive effort up.