PDA

View Full Version : Game Balls and Goats

Craic
10-01-2017, 03:38 PM
Seems as though the thread isn't made yet, so I'll start it.

Game Balls: Shazier, Bell

Goat: No real goats. Several players need to play better, but there wasn't a single horrid performance today.

43Hitman
10-01-2017, 03:40 PM
Game Balls: Hilton, Bell

Goat: O-line with it's penalty woes continue, other than that the line played very, very well.

st33lersguy
10-01-2017, 03:42 PM
Game Ball: Le'Veon finally returned to all-pro form which was great to see. Cam Heyward was a beast. Mike Hilton was awesome today, what a great find he was. Shazier was also great

Goat: Ben, he has definitely taken a step or two back. Haley, awful playcalling, and how many times does the wraparound draw have to not work before he sees that it's a play not worth running. Also the refs, god that call that giftwrapped the Ratbirds three points was the worst call I have ever seen, and that's saying something.

fansince'76
10-01-2017, 03:42 PM
Goat: O-line with it's penalty woes continues, other than that the line played very, very well.

The one holding call on DeCastro was absolute BS (as was the interception that gifted them a FG) - the guy fell down on his own.

tube517
10-01-2017, 03:43 PM
Game Ball: Hilton, Shazier, Bell, Heyward (2 sacks, 1 FR)

Goat: The ref/overturn on that fake INT by Weddle. #fakeofficiating

SteelMayhem72
10-01-2017, 03:46 PM
Definitely game balls for bell,shazier, and heyward

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

SteelMayhem72
10-01-2017, 03:48 PM
Goat: haley and ben...if we have to rely on Ben to carry this team we are in trouble and haley with his bonehead play calling

43Hitman
10-01-2017, 04:10 PM
The one holding call on DeCastro was absolute BS (as was the interception that gifted them a FG) - the guy fell down on his own.
Yes, that was a terrible holding call, DeCastro destroyed him with technique. That int was the worst call since the Polamalu call in the Divisional game against the Colts though. Completely baffled by that one.

FrancoLambert
10-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Balls: Bell - he's back
Shazier
Hilton - all you do is notice this guy

Goats: Haley - his play calling can't put a team away
Ben earns a mini-goat for missing 2 wide open TD's

Texasteel
10-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Goats: Haley - his play calling can't put a team away

Most of the second half it looked like Haley was just hoping the clock would run out before they caught up with us.

Born2Steel
10-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Game Ball: Team, Coaches, Staff

Game Goats: Missed opportunities. But we fix that in practice this week.

BurghBoy412
10-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Sean Davis had a solid game.

Texasteel
10-01-2017, 04:45 PM
Might not give him a game ball, but is JuJu starting to look like a pretty good draft decision, and only 20 years old.

Iron Steeler
10-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Gameball: Bell , Defense
Goats: 3rd quarter offensive playcalling.

Put the team away!!!

BlackAndGold
10-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Sean Davis had a solid game.

Yep, he looked like the player we saw in the 2nd half of last year.

86WARD
10-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Game Balls: Hilton, Bell

Goat: O-line with it's penalty woes continue, other than that the line played very, very well.

That’s mine too. I’d add Shazier in to the Game ball category and I would add Ben to the goat pile. He’s had some bad throws that he keeps missing on. I feel like he’s getting better, but he looks really rusty right now. I’d put the Play calling into the goat category as well.

Neversatisfied
10-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Game Balls- Bell, Shazier,Hilton
Goats- Antonio Brown. Seriously, grow the fu@% up you spoiled asshole

DesertSteel
10-01-2017, 05:46 PM
Goat: Ben, he has definitely taken a step or two back.
I give a game ball to Ben just because of this comment. It was a gritty performance against our arch rival on the road.

Last time I looked Brady is lucky to be 1-2 at home instead of 0-3.

hawaiiansteeler
10-01-2017, 05:54 PM
I would also add Cameron Heyward, he had two sacks and was pretty much unblockable all game long

teegre
10-01-2017, 06:25 PM
Mike Hilton :nod:

Bell, Heyward, and Shazier were outstanding, but the momentum in this game turned back towards the Steelers' side following Hilton's back-to-back-to-back splash plays.

FrancoLambert
10-01-2017, 07:03 PM

Bell, Heyward, and Shazier were outstanding, but the momentum in this game turned back towards the Steelers' side following Hilton's back-to-back-to-back splash plays.

I guess the Senquez Golson pick wasn't so bad after all. :wink02:

SteelerFanInStl
10-01-2017, 07:18 PM
I guess the Senquez Golson pick wasn't so bad after all. :wink02:

Hilton is what we drafted Golson to be. Great pick up.

Iron Steeler
10-01-2017, 07:40 PM
Hilton is what we drafted Golson to be. Great pick up.

Did anyone ever pick up Golson

tube517
10-01-2017, 07:56 PM
Did anyone ever pick up GolsonYes. The ambulance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AtlantaDan
10-01-2017, 08:17 PM
Game Ball - AV for hanging in there after everything that has happened - when he drew the headbutting penalty I normally would have been screaming at such an out of control act but IMO that Raven caught a week of frustration

AV post game once again shows how grounded he is

LT Alejandro Villanueva said he spoke to Mike Tomlin this week so both could put the botched anthem behind them and play football. Villanueva did not like the way his coach was depicted. "To wake up in the morning and see the face of coach Tomlin and the face of a soldier pitted against each other is completely unacceptable - from the media," he said.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0706278832318976987-4

“I think in life, you’re not prepared for a lot of things,” he said. “I don’t think you’re prepared to have a kid. I don’t think you’re prepared to get married. I don’t you’re prepared to start one day in the NFL. I think it’s one of those things you have to take in stride and do your best, stick to your family values, stick to the things that you’ve learned throughout your life and try to make the best possible decision.” ...

“I’m not a hero,” he said. “I didn’t do anything in the military that was outstanding. If you were to compare me to my peers, I was average at best. This was a very unfortunate chain of events, and I just tried my best.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/01nfl-anthem-protests-fans-boo-ravens-steelers-week-4

GBMelBlount
10-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Game Ball - AV for hanging in there after everything that has happened - when he drew the headbutting penalty I normally would have been screaming at such an out of control act but IMO that Raven caught a week of frustration

AV post game once again shows how grounded he is

LT Alejandro Villanueva said he spoke to Mike Tomlin this week so both could put the botched anthem behind them and play football. Villanueva did not like the way his coach was depicted. "To wake up in the morning and see the face of coach Tomlin and the face of a soldier pitted against each other is completely unacceptable - from the media," he said.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0706278832318976987-4

“I think in life, you’re not prepared for a lot of things,” he said. “I don’t think you’re prepared to have a kid. I don’t think you’re prepared to get married. I don’t you’re prepared to start one day in the NFL. I think it’s one of those things you have to take in stride and do your best, stick to your family values, stick to the things that you’ve learned throughout your life and try to make the best possible decision.” ...

“I’m not a hero,” he said. “I didn’t do anything in the military that was outstanding. If you were to compare me to my peers, I was average at best. This was a very unfortunate chain of events, and I just tried my best.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/01nfl-anthem-protests-fans-boo-ravens-steelers-week-4

Dan,

Your wisdom and perspective amazes me at times. :drink:

Thank you.

SteelerFanInStl
10-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Did anyone ever pick up Golson

Not that I've heard of.

AtlantaDan
10-01-2017, 08:47 PM
Dan,

Your wisdom and perspective amazes me at times. :drink:

Thank you.

I have posted many ignorant statements on Steelers fan sites over the years but nothing was worse than my screeds last Monday in which I alleged AV's actions in Chicago were intended to show up his teammates, which never should have been posted

The full AV post-game quote reported by ESPN, which was not given in the link I posted above

GBMelBlount
10-01-2017, 09:03 PM

I have posted many ignorant statements on Steelers fan sites over the years but nothing was worse than my screeds last Monday in which I alleged AV's actions in Chicago were intended to show up his teammates, which never should have been posted

The full AV post-game quote reported by ESPN, which was not given in the link I posted above

I have as well. For that I am sorry.

I am thankful you are back, Dan.

Psycho Ward 86
10-01-2017, 09:13 PM

ive always been curious to see how effective cornerback blitzes are against upper-quartile QB's. The eye test seems to show that CB blitzes generally take longer to hit home. But Hilton seems like a different animal. Cant recall ever seeing a cornerback blitz like such a mad man. Safeties? Yeah, but not a cornerback. I was thinking of shooting Kozora a message to see if he'd look into and make an article on his research.

st33lersguy
10-01-2017, 09:29 PM
Mike Hilton is a dynamite player, superb find

teegre
10-01-2017, 09:30 PM
ive always been curious to see how effective cornerback blitzes are against upper-quartile QB's. The eye test seems to show that CB blitzes generally take longer to hit home. But Hilton seems like a different animal. Cant recall ever seeing a cornerback blitz like such a mad man. Safeties? Yeah, but not a cornerback. I was thinking of shooting Kozora a message to see if he'd look into and make an article on his research.

Rod Woodson was the last Steelers corner I saw blitz quite like this.

Of course, like Hilton, Woodson has some safety DNA coursing through his veins.

tube517
10-01-2017, 09:33 PM

William Gay has more sacks than Jarvis Jones (True story).

Hilton had experience blitzing from the slot in college per Alex's draft profile.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04/2016-nfl-draft-player-profiles-ole-miss-cb-mike-hilton/

Hawkman
10-01-2017, 09:59 PM
Goat: haley and ben...if we have to rely on Ben to carry this team we are in trouble and haley with his bonehead play calling

Go away

BurghBoy412
10-01-2017, 10:03 PM
Go awayI suppose he should go away because you don't support his stance. Selfish

Psycho Ward 86
10-01-2017, 10:04 PM
Go away

see, this is the type of post i hate seeing. how about a genuine critique/analysis of that post. a forum is for discussion yes?

Hawkman
10-01-2017, 10:06 PM
Was at the game.....what a great game. Defense big. And when was the last time we scored 19 unanswered points in Baltimore?

Hawkman
10-01-2017, 10:13 PM
Sorry I will quit this forum . Because that was a tough battle, and played well on both sides of the ball.

I'm sure I'm wrong. Ben and Haley are bad

Steeldude
10-01-2017, 10:48 PM
Heroes: Hilton, Heyward, Bell, run blocking and pass protection, Shazier

Goats: Brown, suspect play calls

BlackAndGold
10-02-2017, 02:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOPRop4_R4A

FeelTHESteel
10-02-2017, 08:17 AM
Game Balls- Bell ..Tuitt..Shazier..Heyward

Goat- Still not sold on Wilcox, tackling sux

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

steel striker
10-02-2017, 09:21 AM
That BS over turned INT call still makes me wonder about the NFL officials because , clearly AB's knees were down I did not see the ball move before the knee was down????

FeelTHESteel
10-02-2017, 09:29 AM
That BS over turned INT call still makes me wonder about the NFL officials because , clearly AB's knees were down I did not see the ball move before the knee was down????BS call alright... took me back to 2005 Div Game vs Colts when Polamalu intercepted Peyton and was clearly down then ball came loose as he was getting up.. incomplete pass my ass

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2017, 10:05 AM
Game Balls- Bell ..Tuitt..Shazier..Heyward

Goat- Still not sold on Wilcox, tackling sux

IDK, Wilcox came over to knock the ball loose from Wallace after he ran by Burns when Artie tried to play press on Wallace.

FeelTHESteel
10-02-2017, 10:19 AM
Just feel that Wilcox falls off too many tackles and with his experience it shouldn't happen.. thought I was watching Artie Burns all over again in his early rookie season

DesertSteel
10-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Man, I'm glad I've decided to stay out of the game threads this year. At Baltimore 26-9 and people still bitching... Life is good

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2017, 10:59 AM
Just feel that Wilcox falls off too many tackles and with his experience it shouldn't happen.. thought I was watching Artie Burns all over again in his early rookie season

Wilcox is more of a in the box thumper of a safety. He isn't the fastest guy, so at times doesn't get to the sideline to be in position to wrap up his arms. He isn't falling off IMO, as much as he isn't close enough to wrap up really well. As the #3 safety on the roster I think he is better than most the Steelers have had in years, he just isn't a 4.4 speed guy with lots of range.

BurghBoy412
10-02-2017, 11:03 AM
Man, I'm glad I've decided to stay out of the game threads this year. At Baltimore 26-9 and people still bitching... Life is goodMust not be that good if you feel the need to come on here and complain about others complaints. Why do you let it get all up in your kitchen? People are allowed to have their opinion. Do you just enjoy stirring the pot? Let me guess you've read "The Secret"?

Mojouw
10-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Wilcox is more of a in the box thumper of a safety. He isn't the fastest guy, so at times doesn't get to the sideline to be in position to wrap up his arms. He isn't falling off IMO, as much as he isn't close enough to wrap up really well. As the #3 safety on the roster I think he is better than most the Steelers have had in years, he just isn't a 4.4 speed guy with lots of range.

He takes goofy angles as well. Still, I would rather have Wilcox than Golden as the 3rd safety. It is really nice to see the offensive game plan for the other team not consist of basically the same basic steps.

1. Identify nickle and/or dime defender.
2. Isolate in coverage
3. Beat like a drum

- - - Updated - - -

Man, I'm glad I've decided to stay out of the game threads this year. At Baltimore 26-9 and people still bitching... Life is good

That is a sound plan. Game thread is just negativity feeding more negativity.

tube517
10-02-2017, 11:30 AM

I said that in another thread if we win and have some FGs people will still complain lol.

You just sort of learn to get used to it week in and week out. However, it is not just this forum. I'm in a few other Steeler forums and the level of threads and emails complaining during victories is about the same. People want to vent and I'm guilty as well.

polamalubeast
10-02-2017, 11:39 AM
I said that in another thread if we win and have some FGs people will still complain lol.

You just sort of learn to get used to it week in and week out. However, it is not just this forum. I'm in a few other Steeler forums and the level of threads and emails complaining during victories is about the same. People want to vent and I'm guilty as well.

This is disappointing, especially that the steelers had just won in a place by 17 points where the steelers were 3-11 since 2003.

It was not perfect, especially for the penalties killer drive on offense, but overall it was our best game of the season.The first half, with the exception of the penalties it was almost a perfect first half.

Steeldude
10-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Must not be that good if you feel the need to come on here and complain about others complaints. Why do you let it get all up in your kitchen? People are allowed to have their opinion. Do you just enjoy stirring the pot? Let me guess you've read "The Secret"?

Weren't you complaining not long ago about people's posts?

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/27731-Quick-Hits-Steelers-Bears?p=606511&viewfull=1#post606511

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2017, 12:48 PM
He takes goofy angles as well. Still, I would rather have Wilcox than Golden as the 3rd safety. It is really nice to see the offensive game plan for the other team not consist of basically the same basic steps.

1. Identify nickle and/or dime defender.
2. Isolate in coverage
3. Beat like a drum

- - - Updated - - -

That is a sound plan. Game thread is just negativity feeding more negativity.

iMO, he takes the best angle he can and comes downhill....he just isn't fast enough to close that angle and make it work for him.

Wanna see the same thing at ILB? Just wait to see when Matakevich gets a shot at some playing time. Smart player, but just not fast enough to get to the edges.

Born2Steel
10-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Did JuJu's DragonBallZ endzone dance get a gameball from anyone?

BurghBoy412
10-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Weren't you complaining not long ago about people's posts?

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/27731-Quick-Hits-Steelers-Bears?p=606511&viewfull=1#post606511Yes, I am a hypocrite. Glad I could assist in making you feel good about yourself.

DesertSteel
10-02-2017, 01:18 PM
Must not be that good if you feel the need to come on here and complain about others complaints. Why do you let it get all up in your kitchen? People are allowed to have their opinion. Do you just enjoy stirring the pot? Let me guess you've read "The Secret"?
And I just stated mine.

BurghBoy412
10-02-2017, 01:22 PM
And I just stated mine.As did I

teegre
10-02-2017, 02:03 PM
At Baltimore 26-9 and people still bitching...

In people's defense, this thread is titled "Game Balls and Goats".

Unless the thread is edited to read "Game Balls ONLY", someone is bound to mention a goat or two.

DesertSteel
10-02-2017, 02:17 PM

Unless the thread is edited to read "Game Balls ONLY", someone is bound to mention a goat or two.
My bad, I thought that meant Greatest Of All Time!

:mob:

teegre
10-02-2017, 02:20 PM
My bad, I thought that meant Greatest Of All Time!

:mob:

Well played. :chuckle:

tube517
10-02-2017, 02:42 PM

Only one G.O.A.T. and he is currently on IR for the "other" black and gold. You know who I'm talking about.

86WARD
10-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Did JuJu's DragonBallZ endzone dance get a gameball from anyone?

I gave JuJu a game ball

Hawkman
10-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Thanks to a very good friend, (Ravens fan) , I have been going to this game since 2000. This was the first time I have felt that we controlled the game in all aspects. Not sure about the hate for Ben and Haley because that was a well called game. That may have been the lowest pre-snap penalties we've been called for. Loudest stadium I've ever been in.

Game Balls-Bell, the defense.

Goat- the ref who made the interception call

Sorry Mayhem for the "stay away" comment.

FeelTHESteel
10-02-2017, 05:41 PM
I gave JuJu a game ballShazier deserves a Gameball too for that Ray Lewis Squirrel Dance [emoji23][emoji23]

polamalubeast
10-02-2017, 07:04 PM

Born2Steel
10-02-2017, 08:00 PM

Was he out the last game? Only .5 tackles per game doesn't sound right.

tube517
10-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Was he out the last game? Only .5 tackles per game doesn't sound right.

He played. He had 3 sacks in the 1st 3 games. Shut out yesterday. I never heard his name called.

polamalubeast
10-03-2017, 06:29 AM

SteelerFanInStl
10-03-2017, 07:57 AM

And that's why we traded for McDonald. I just wish that his hands were better. He drops too many passes.

86WARD
10-03-2017, 11:04 AM
McDonald has receiving skills at times. Seems like his problem is hearing footsteps or running without completing the catch...basic catch skills is what he needs.

SteelerFanInStl
10-03-2017, 12:14 PM
McDonald has receiving skills at times. Seems like his problem is hearing footsteps or running without completing the catch...basic catch skills is what he needs.

Hopefully he's putting in extra time with the coaches and the JUGs machine. I think that he's got the potential to be a very good TE.

polamalubeast
10-03-2017, 12:26 PM

AtlantaDan
10-03-2017, 12:45 PM
I guess Ben does not give AB a game ball based on his comments during his weekly radio appearance this morning

Speaking on Brown’s sideline antics, Ben walked us through what happened on the play that upset AB and why he was disappointed in the way he reacted.

“He got upset because he was open, which I can understand, sometimes that happens…it’s not like I intentionally missed him, it’s not like I intentionally didn’t throw it to him. I was doing what my reads tell me to do, I don’t even want to say I made a mistake, because I was reading the side I was supposed to read. It’s just unfortunate that it happened, and it’s unfortunate that he acted and reacted that way.”

Ben even took us onto the sidelines and shared what he said to Brown right after the play.
“I told him on the sideline, ‘AB, just come talk to me, ask me what happened, tell me that you were open.’ You know, if that were Heath Miller, I’d probably ask Heath on the sideline, ‘Hey Heath, were you open?’ and he’d probably tell me ‘No,’ because he wouldn’t want you to feel bad, that’s just who he was…that goes a lot further than throwing a temper tantrum.”...

“We all try to talk to him and it didn’t help. I think it’s bad in the sense that we have a lot of young guys that see that too. Juju [Smith-Schuster] sitting right next to him and looking at that, and what’s Juju thinking? Is he thinking that it’s ok to act that way? I don’t know.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/10/03/ben-roethlisberger-on-antonio-brown-temper-tantrum-its-unfortunate-he-acted-that-way/#.WdOzkzCqSgY.twitter

I am positive Ben going public with these comments will straighten everything out, particularly by pointing out how Heath would have handled the sitution :sofunny:

Steelers need to restructure Ben's contract to buyout whatever he is getting paid for his Tuesday morning radio appearances where he repeatedly stirs up shit

Mojouw
10-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Hopefully he's putting in extra time with the coaches and the JUGs machine. I think that he's got the potential to be a very good TE.

Unless the Steelers have a magic wand, I think the more negative viewpoint expressed by many around the time of the McDonald trade is going to win out.

If Vance hasn't figured out how to catch reliably by now, it isn't going to happen. College + 4 full years in the NFL hasn't made it any better, then I think at this point we can fairly confidently say that he is who he is.

A very decent all around TE with questionable hands. I was hoping for more, but I don't see it. I still like him on the field more than Jesse "traffic cone" James.

86WARD
10-03-2017, 04:27 PM

Did you watch him play at all when he was with the Niners when they played the Rams?

86WARD
10-03-2017, 04:28 PM
As for Ben’s comments, weren’t there reports that stated that Brown was the intended target on that play and supposed to be the first read?

Born2Steel
10-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Steelers played at Rams in StLouis a couple years ago. I took my son to that game. McDonald got behind the defense and was all by himself. Luckily he dropped the pass that hit him right in the hands. That is the only memory I have of him.

Psycho Ward 86
10-03-2017, 04:41 PM
As for Ben’s comments, weren’t there reports that stated that Brown was the intended target on that play and supposed to be the first read?

Yeah it seems according to Ben that AB was down the list of progressions on that play once Eric Weddle backed up. I believe him. Unfortunately, thats literally just another way of saying "i didnt go through my reads fast enough to see a wide open receiver." its really that simple, and odd, because going through reads slowly hasnt been a problem for the Ben of the past couple seasons

AtlantaDan
10-03-2017, 04:42 PM

Seems like it - Tony Dungy thiought so Sunday night and this from Dale Lolley (IMO one of the better local Steelers reporters)

The play in question had Brown running a crossing route to set up a pick by tight end Jesse James. Once he cleared James, he reversed field and broke deep.

But Roethlisberger got some pressure and went to a checkdown with Bell.

It was a slow-developing play, but it worked. And you can bet the Steelers will come back to it at some point.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20171001/post_steelers_at_ravens_thoughts

Mojouw
10-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Yeah it seems according to Ben that AB was down the list of progressions on that play once Eric Weddle backed up. I believe him. Unfortunately, thats literally just another way of saying "i didnt go through my reads fast enough to see a wide open receiver." its really that simple, and odd, because going through reads slowly hasnt been a problem for the Ben of the past couple seasons

That's not what I took from it at all. I got the following:

1. Pre-snap, AB on the RUB and GO was the primary read.
2. At the LOS, Ben saw Weddle dropping into what looked like a 2 high safety look. That means that they go away from the deep route because AB should be bracketed by his man and the safety.
3. Ben "reads" all this and shifts his primary read to Bell.
4. For some reason that is not explained, the Ravens DBs rotate out of the look Ben thought he saw and at least one of the safeties drifts down towards the line of scrimmage and away from AB's half of the field.
5. This all happens AFTER Ben has made his read and decided where to go with the ball. He was actually going through the exact proper progressions and ONLY doing something incorrect would have made him look back to AB.

That being said, clearly Todd Haley thought that the ball should have gone to AB, so maybe Ben needs to review something with Haley and the receivers?

polamalubeast
10-03-2017, 06:58 PM

SteelerFanInStl
10-03-2017, 07:03 PM
Did you watch him play at all when he was with the Niners when they played the Rams?

Of course I did. Like I said, he's got potential. Whether or not he ever reaches that is up to him. We didn't give up much of anything to get him so who cares? He's still better than Grimble and the rest of the TEs after James.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless the Steelers have a magic wand, I think the more negative viewpoint expressed by many around the time of the McDonald trade is going to win out.

If Vance hasn't figured out how to catch reliably by now, it isn't going to happen. College + 4 full years in the NFL hasn't made it any better, then I think at this point we can fairly confidently say that he is who he is.

A very decent all around TE with questionable hands. I was hoping for more, but I don't see it. I still like him on the field more than Jesse "traffic cone" James.

I'll accept that reality. We didn't give up much to get him so I'll take him as just a very good blocking TE that can make a splash play now and then.

Born2Steel
10-03-2017, 07:04 PM
Steelers played at Rams in StLouis a couple years ago. I took my son to that game. McDonald got behind the defense and was all by himself. Luckily he dropped the pass that hit him right in the hands. That is the only memory I have of him.

Wait a sec, obviously I'm thinking of a different TE than Vance. Sorry for the mis-post.

pczach
10-03-2017, 09:27 PM

To me, it looked like Ben looked AB's way first, but came off of him when he felt some pressure up the middle, and threw the check down to Bell.

This stuff happens all the time when you're a Qb. If Ben gave AB another half second, he breaks free.

If Ben holds the ball and takes a sack, everyone is screaming for him to take the check down.

It's the nature of the quarterback position.

Just like it is AB's nature to be a selfish ass and a me-first guy. If Ben threw a tantrum every time an offensive lineman missed a block or every time a WR ran the wrong route, he'd be in perpetual tantrum mode. He can't act like that and he doesn't. You would think AB would know better, but he simply doesn't care. It's all about him and his stats.

Imagine what his tantrum would have looked like if the team were losing by 17 points instead of winning at the time. Oh, that's right.....it would look exactly the same.

AtlantaDan
10-04-2017, 07:26 AM
Just like it is AB's nature to be a selfish ass and a me-first guy. If Ben threw a tantrum every time an offensive lineman missed a block or every time a WR ran the wrong route, he'd be in perpetual tantrum mode. He can't act like that and he doesn't.

Except when he waits 2 days and then uses his weekly radio appearance to once again stir the pot, this time giving life to a story that would have died down

Who’s really causing the ‘distraction’ here, Ben or AB?

Who’s really extending the negative news cycle after a smashing win over the hated Baltimore Ravens?....
If there exists an atmosphere where players believe they can do and say whatever they want, then Roethlisberger surely helps to create it. After the Steelers started 4-1 last season, for example, he questioned Tomlin’s practice routine.

Injuries were piling up at the time.

“I think sometimes [physical practices] take a toll on some guys, you know, hamstrings and quads and guys reinjuring things,” Roethlisberger said at the time. “We talk about being a physical football team, and we are a physical football team, but we also have to take care of our guys.”...

And if someone has a problem, maybe the best way to address it is the way Roethlisberger suggested AB should have Sunday.

“Just come and talk to me.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/joe-starkey/2017/10/04/Joe-Starkey-Who-s-really-causing-the-distraction-here-Ben-Roethlisberger-or-Antonio-Brown/stories/201710030182

Ben is probably the best QB the Steelers have ever had (there is only one alternative) and I will only completely recognize how much the Steelers will be diminished after he leaves - but I will not miss the constant bullshit that he has churned up off the field since his rookie season

DesertSteel
10-04-2017, 08:21 AM
^^^^

Couldn't have said it better AD.

polamalubeast
10-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Am I the only one who is tired of the drama that the steelers have almost every week in the last few years, even when they win?

It would be much better if Ben would not have his radio show and Colin Cowherd was right when he said that the Steelers' locker room is like a locker room of the NBA!

It's not true that it's like that for every team(especially the good teams) in the NFL.

polamalubeast
10-04-2017, 11:07 AM

Time to move on!

st33lersguy
10-04-2017, 11:27 AM
I like ho Tom Brady throws a lot of hissy fits on the sidelines, but they are generally ignored by the media or passed off as Brady being passionate, but AB does something and it turns into a media frenzy.

tube517
10-04-2017, 11:43 AM

Time to move on!

He should apologize through FB Live!! :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

I like ho Tom Brady throws a lot of hissy fits on the sidelines, but they are generally ignored by the media or passed off as Brady being passionate, but AB does something and it turns into a media frenzy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BckwLWWkXkg

AtlantaDan
10-04-2017, 11:44 AM
Fortunately the Steelers can rely on the calming influence and veteran leadership by example of ...... Martavis Bryant:rolleyes:

Bryant said he would never display such open frustration, but understood Brown's frustration.

“It's probably been building up for weeks,” he said. “Some guys have that. … We always have his back no matter how he reacts or what he does. I told him to stay focused and stay with it.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/12804473-74/ben-roethlisberger-my-job-as-steelers-leader-to-speak-up-on-antonio

tube517
10-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Fortunately the Steelers can rely on the calming influence and veteran leadership by example of ...... Martavis Bryant:rolleyes:

Bryant said he would never display such open frustration, but understood Brown's frustration.

“It's probably been building up for weeks,” he said. “Some guys have that. … We always have his back no matter how he reacts or what he does. I told him to stay focused and stay with it.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/12804473-74/ben-roethlisberger-my-job-as-steelers-leader-to-speak-up-on-antonio

I'm sure Tay tay knows some calming influence...

:smokin:
:chuckle:

Born2Steel
10-04-2017, 12:00 PM

Just be mellow, man.

Shoes
10-04-2017, 01:12 PM
To me, it looked like Ben looked AB's way first, but came off of him when he felt some pressure up the middle, and threw the check down to Bell.

This stuff happens all the time when you're a Qb. If Ben gave AB another half second, he breaks free.

If Ben holds the ball and takes a sack, everyone is screaming for him to take the check down.

It's the nature of the quarterback position.

Just like it is AB's nature to be a selfish ass and a me-first guy. If Ben threw a tantrum every time an offensive lineman missed a block or every time a WR ran the wrong route, he'd be in perpetual tantrum mode. He can't act like that and he doesn't. You would think AB would know better, but he simply doesn't care. It's all about him and his stats.

Imagine what his tantrum would have looked like if the team were losing by 17 points instead of winning at the time. Oh, that's right.....it would look exactly the same.

I agree. Ben has been doing a lot of talking about AB being a distraction, kind of funny tho, like Ben's retirement comments aren't.

AtlantaDan
10-04-2017, 02:10 PM
An alternative to going on the radio to call out your teammate :chuckle:

Linebacker Vince Wiliams, whose locker is next to Brown's, gave the All-Pro receiver a second round against the Gatorade bucket, which he flipped over out of frustration Sunday at Baltimore.

Williams captured the moment on video and posted it on social media, egging on his teammate while holding the bucket. Brown played along, though he was tamer on the jug this time around.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/25420/antonio-brown-gets-rematch-with-gatorade-bucket-courtesy-of-steelers-lb-vince-williams

teegre
10-04-2017, 02:16 PM
An alternative to going on the radio to call out your teammate :chuckle:

Linebacker Vince Wiliams, whose locker is next to Brown's, gave the All-Pro receiver a second round against the Gatorade bucket, which he flipped over out of frustration Sunday at Baltimore.

Williams captured the moment on video and posted it on social media, egging on his teammate while holding the bucket. Brown played along, though he was tamer on the jug this time around.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/25420/antonio-brown-gets-rematch-with-gatorade-bucket-courtesy-of-steelers-lb-vince-williams

Vince William and Ramon Foster have great senses of humor.

DesertSteel
10-04-2017, 02:25 PM
Vince William and Ramon Foster have great senses of humor.
Humor helps keep any team together - life, business or sports. Especially with tattle tale types like Ben stirring the pot.

pczach
10-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Except when he waits 2 days and then uses his weekly radio appearance to once again stir the pot, this time giving life to a story that would have died down

Who’s really causing the ‘distraction’ here, Ben or AB?

Who’s really extending the negative news cycle after a smashing win over the hated Baltimore Ravens?....
If there exists an atmosphere where players believe they can do and say whatever they want, then Roethlisberger surely helps to create it. After the Steelers started 4-1 last season, for example, he questioned Tomlin’s practice routine.

Injuries were piling up at the time.

“I think sometimes [physical practices] take a toll on some guys, you know, hamstrings and quads and guys reinjuring things,” Roethlisberger said at the time. “We talk about being a physical football team, and we are a physical football team, but we also have to take care of our guys.”...

And if someone has a problem, maybe the best way to address it is the way Roethlisberger suggested AB should have Sunday.

“Just come and talk to me.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/joe-starkey/2017/10/04/Joe-Starkey-Who-s-really-causing-the-distraction-here-Ben-Roethlisberger-or-Antonio-Brown/stories/201710030182

Ben is probably the best QB the Steelers have ever had (there is only one alternative) and I will only completely recognize how much the Steelers will be diminished after he leaves - but I will not miss the constant bullshit that he has churned up off the field since his rookie season

When the head coach comes out and basically takes AB to task for the same thing Ben did, you know there's an ongoing problem. Many fans see still waters, but there's a lot going on below the surface. When the head coach is telling Antonio Brown to act like a professional....it's a problem.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/mike-tomlin-antonio-brown-sunday-sideline-tantrum-professional/

If you've been in enough locker rooms, you can see all the signs right now. AB is a problem. He does this and his selfishness is much more prevalent than most know or want to admit.

I heard Ryan Clark on ESPN radio commenting on the AB touchdown. You know he has been critical of Big Ben, but he ripped AB and basically stated that AB has fooled people who he really is. He presents himself as a guy that's all about the team and he smiles into the camera and says all the right things when being interviewed. In the locker room, on the sideline, and whenever the camera's aren't rolling...he's a different guy. He's selfish.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/03/antonio-brown-sideline-outburst-ryan-clark-espn/stories/201710030184

I think people can try to pin this on Ben all they want, but everything points to AB being much more of a problem than fans want to admit.

FrancoLambert
10-04-2017, 05:50 PM
When the head coach comes out and basically takes AB to task for the same thing Ben did, you know there's an ongoing problem. Many fans see still waters, but there's a lot going on below the surface. When the head coach is telling Antonio Brown to act like a professional....it's a problem.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/mike-tomlin-antonio-brown-sunday-sideline-tantrum-professional/

If you've been in enough locker rooms, you can see all the signs right now. AB is a problem. He does this and his selfishness is much more prevalent than most know or want to admit.

I heard Ryan Clark on ESPN radio commenting on the AB touchdown. You know he has been critical of Big Ben, but he ripped AB and basically stated that AB has fooled people who he really is. He presents himself as a guy that's all about the team and he smiles into the camera and says all the right things when being interviewed. In the locker room, on the sideline, and whenever the camera's aren't rolling...he's a different guy. He's selfish.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/03/antonio-brown-sideline-outburst-ryan-clark-espn/stories/201710030184

I think people can try to pin this on Ben all they want, but everything points to AB being much more of a problem than fans want to admit.

Instead of placing more blame on one or the other maybe we should just face the fact that they're both divas at heart.

AtlantaDan
10-04-2017, 06:30 PM
Just be mellow, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxEF-M2QIUA

pczach
10-04-2017, 08:21 PM
Instead of placing more blame on one or the other maybe we should just face the fact that they're both divas at heart.

Ben doesn't show anybody up on the field. That's AB's thing. He threw a cooler and was screaming and motioning towards Ben. Then he turned around and knocked Haley's hand away as he tried to talk to him. You can't compare that to anything Ben did towards a teammate.

Again....When the head coach publicly states that AB needs to act professionally.....that's a problem. There's a lot more going on and his ego is a problem.

Ben's got his issues, but come on.

I can't believe how fans just fall all over AB when he is constantly doing stupid shit on and off the field. When OBJ went crazy on the sideline, he wasn't specifically targeting his QB, and everyone accused him of being a malcontent, a lunatic, and an idiot. AB throws a fit and embarrasses his QB, and Steeler fans try to justify it by blaming the QB. It's something to behold.

Ryan Clark is right. The majority of fans drank the Kool-Aid on AB. He's a great player, but he is a needy guy and a disruptive force.

fansince'76
10-04-2017, 08:29 PM
Ben doesn't show anybody up on the field. That's AB's thing. He threw a cooler and was screaming and motioning towards Ben. Then he turned around and knocked Haley's hand away as he tried to talk to him. You can't compare that to anything Ben did towards a teammate.

Again....When the head coach publicly states that AB needs to act professionally.....that's a problem. There's a lot more going on and his ego is a problem.

I can't believe how fans just fall all over AB when he is constantly doing stupid shit on and off the field. When OBJ went crazy on the sideline, he wasn't specifically targeting his QB, and everyone accused him of being a malcontent, a lunatic, and an idiot. AB throws a fit and embarrasses his QB, and Steeler fans try to justify it by blaming the QB. It's something to behold.

Ryan Clark is right. The majority of fans drank the Kool-Aid on AB. He's a great player, but he is a needy guy and a disruptive force.

Agreed, but AB has also been the most consistent player we've had on offense this season - he's showed up to play every game. And I can also admit Ben needs to step it up. IMO, Ben hasn't been playing nearly as poorly as some seem to want to paint it, but he can play a LOT better too. Just my .02.

Craic
10-04-2017, 08:42 PM
Agreed, but AB has also been the most consistent player we've had on offense this season - he's showed up to play every game. And I can also admit Ben needs to step it up. IMO, Ben hasn't been playing nearly as poorly as some seem to want to paint it, but he can play a LOT better too. Just my .02.

This.

The reason AB gets a pass is because he shows up for practice, for games, for OTCs. He puts in the work, and the extra work needed. I'm a lot more willing to put up with someone who has a meltdown once or twice a year on the sidelines but is a great player who busts his but than I am willing to put up with someone like Randy Moss who decides to coast on several plays just because . . .

fansince'76
10-04-2017, 08:42 PM

Good thing they're not playing in Denver this season... :chuckle:

fansince'76
10-04-2017, 08:44 PM
This.

The reason AB gets a pass is because he shows up for practice, for games, for OTCs. He puts in the work, and the extra work needed. I'm a lot more willing to put up with someone who has a meltdown once or twice a year on the sidelines but is a great player who busts his but than I am willing to put up with someone like Randy Moss who decides to coast on several plays just because . . .

Yep. I also hate to say it, but so far it has looked like AB wants the Lombardi more than Ben does...

Born2Steel
10-04-2017, 09:31 PM

Hopefully, We don't have to watch AB propose to the water cooler next week.

teegre
10-04-2017, 09:47 PM
Did I just read that a star wide out is also a me-first drama queen???

Pffft... save that mess. Next you’ll be trying to tell me that most cornerbacks are cocky. Or, that most good defenders are slightly crazy. Or, that water is often wet.

AtlantaDan
10-04-2017, 10:09 PM
Did I just read that a star wide out is also a me-first drama queen???

Pffft... save that mess. Next you’ll be trying to tell me that most cornerbacks are cocky. Or, that most good defenders are slightly crazy. Or, that water is often wet.

Yep - Clark was not contending AB is some sort of outlier as a WR

"He’s like most receivers. He’s selfish."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/04/former-antonio-brown-teammate-hes-done-extremely-good-job-of-tricking-people/

teegre
10-04-2017, 10:16 PM
Yep - Clark was not contending AB is some sort of outlier as a WR

"He’s like most receivers. He’s selfish."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/04/former-antonio-brown-teammate-hes-done-extremely-good-job-of-tricking-people/

I remember Troy Aikman saying that Michael Irvin would plead for the ball after EVERY single play. But, Troy also averred that that is EXACTLY the attitude that he wanted from his WR.

pczach
10-05-2017, 04:25 AM
I remember Troy Aikman saying that Michael Irvin would plead for the ball after EVERY single play. But, Troy also averred that that is EXACTLY the attitude that he wanted from his WR.

True, but not throwing coolers and screaming and cursing at him to show him up on live TV.

All this over one play when he was leading the NFL in targets, catches, and yards.

FrancoLambert
10-05-2017, 05:02 AM
AB's tantrum on the field....Ben stirring up shit on his radio show.......which one undermines the team more........take your pick.

teegre
10-05-2017, 06:19 AM
True, but not throwing coolers and screaming and cursing at him to show him up on live TV.

All this over one play when he was leading the NFL in targets, catches, and yards.

The tantrum was not good. But, he’s not wrong to be angry.

Think about it it this way:
BB had not won in Baltimore in the previous five tries. Steelers-Ravens is always a hard-fought, close game. So... EVERY point matters.

At that point in the game, the Steelers were only up 3-0. Leaving 7 points on the table (historically) should have led to a Steelers loss. So, yes, I was just as angry as AB (at that point in time).

AtlantaDan
10-05-2017, 07:15 AM
AB's tantrum on the field....Ben stirring up shit on his radio show.......which one undermines the team more........take your pick.

I will go with Ben - at this point AB's actions are inexcusable but irritating background noise

Ben seems to stir up shit weekly that he drags his teammates into - he was front & center on the anthem cluster, which was classic Ben

Team votes on a plan - AV asks to change plan - Ben changes plan without telling anyone on team other than Heyward - new plan is botched - hilarity ensues

Post-game Ben asked if he has a problem with what AV did - Ben simply says "no" without providing the explanation (alibi?) that was trotted out 24 hours later, leaving his teammates to try and explain WTF happened - leaves AV hanging

Post-game Ben also says -"we need to make sure we are unified as one group because that is what we are about and that is what it should be about. Staying together as one unit, one group, one brotherhood, things like that."

After media firestorm Sunday night/Monday morning, Ben dumps the unity/brotherhood theme, makes it clear that (at least as of Monday afternoon) he was not in favor of doing anything relating to an anthem protest and thereby shifts responsibility away from him - "I personally don’t believe the Anthem is ever the time to make any type of protest."

No surprise that does not go over well
Roethlisberger ticked off some teammates when he produced a personal public statement Monday on his website expressing regret for how the team handled the protest
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-still-upset-about-how-last-weeks-national-anthem-protest-was-handled/

That is Ben's leadership summarized in one event

Is that a big problem that is going to sink the team - highly doubtful - Bradshaw was distant from his teammates and not regarded as a leader on the 70s teams - all he needed to do was get it done on the field

But if Ben wants to keep saying he is the leader of the team his actions consistently undermine that goal

Mojouw
10-05-2017, 12:40 PM
I will go with Ben - at this point AB's actions are inexcusable but irritating background noise

Ben seems to stir up shit weekly that he drags his teammates into - he was front & center on the anthem cluster, which was classic Ben

Team votes on a plan - AV asks to change plan - Ben changes plan without telling anyone on team other than Heyward - new plan is botched - hilarity ensues

Post-game Ben asked if he has a problem with what AV did - Ben simply says "no" without providing the explanation (alibi?) that was trotted out 24 hours later, leaving his teammates to try and explain WTF happened - leaves AV hanging

Post-game Ben also says -"we need to make sure we are unified as one group because that is what we are about and that is what it should be about. Staying together as one unit, one group, one brotherhood, things like that."

After media firestorm Sunday night/Monday morning, Ben dumps the unity/brotherhood theme, makes it clear that (at least as of Monday afternoon) he was not in favor of doing anything relating to an anthem protest and thereby shifts responsibility away from him - "I personally don’t believe the Anthem is ever the time to make any type of protest."

No surprise that does not go over well
Roethlisberger ticked off some teammates when he produced a personal public statement Monday on his website expressing regret for how the team handled the protest
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-still-upset-about-how-last-weeks-national-anthem-protest-was-handled/

That is Ben's leadership summarized in one event

Is that a big problem that is going to sink the team - highly doubtful - Bradshaw was distant from his teammates and not regarded as a leader on the 70s teams - all he needed to do was get it done on the field

But if Ben wants to keep saying he is the leader of the team his actions consistently undermine that goal

I don't think that it isn't because Ben is trying to be a poor leader. I just think he is pretty dumb. When he has to move away from sports bro cliches and attempt to assimilate and communicate new information or complex ideas - he sounds like a moron.

I think Ben's overall "not smart" just gets him in trouble when he has to talk too much about - well, basically, anything.

AtlantaDan
10-05-2017, 01:06 PM
I don't think that it isn't because Ben is trying to be a poor leader. I just think he is pretty dumb. When he has to move away from sports bro cliches and attempt to assimilate and communicate new information or complex ideas - he sounds like a moron.

I think Ben's overall "not smart" just gets him in trouble when he has to talk too much about - well, basically, anything.

Agreed - the NFL created the myth of the QB as "field general" and we are encouraged to assume the QB is this brilliant leader of men

Looking on the sometimes elusive bright side, we could be dealing with Cam Newton as the Steelers QB :doh2:

Dannon withdraws Cam Newton sponsorship after comment to female reporter

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20924019/cam-newton-loses-sponsor-comment-female-reporter

Born2Steel
10-05-2017, 02:20 PM
Agreed - the NFL created the myth of the QB as "field general" and we are encouraged to assume the QB is this brilliant leader of men

Looking on the sometimes elusive bright side, we could be dealing with Cam Newton as the Steelers QB :doh2:

Dannon withdraws Cam Newton sponsorship after comment to female reporter

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20924019/cam-newton-loses-sponsor-comment-female-reporter

Sponsors really need to grow a set. People say stupid things all the time, everyone of us. My message would be 'toughen up or find a different line of work'. To be impressed by a lady calling out routes is just as sexist as laughing at the idea.

AtlantaDan
10-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Sponsors really need to grow a set. People say stupid things all the time, everyone of us. My message would be 'toughen up or find a different line of work'. To be impressed by a lady calling out routes is just as sexist as laughing at the idea.

He did not lose a Gillette razors/shaving cream endorsement

Yogurt skews largely female, lower to middle income, and age 25-45.

https://gocatalant.com/blog/is-yogurt-really-for-girls-understanding-demographic-trends-as-a-marketer

Advertisers are in the business of selling the product, not hanging with the endorser when the endorser can be replaced with someone less controversial who did not get into a slinging match with someone of the same gender as the target demographic group for the product

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo7zkd0kRS4

As far as the reporter v. Cam goes, we will see if playing the race card beats the sexism card - NFL will be thrilled with this story line as it develops

Charlotte Observer reporter Jourdan Rodrigue posted an apology on Twitter after three tweets she posted years ago were discovered by Black Sports Online (http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2017/10/reporter-jourdan-rodrigue-who-was-target-of-cam-newtons-sexist-comment-previously-made-racist-comments-on-twitter/2/).

In two of the tweets, Rodrigue referenced laughing at racist jokes. In the third she uses the word “nigga (http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2017/10/reporter-jourdan-rodrigue-who-was-target-of-cam-newtons-sexist-comment-previously-made-racist-comments-on-twitter/3/).”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/05/jourdan-rodrigue-apologizes-for-offensive-tweets/

Born2Steel
10-05-2017, 02:50 PM
He did not lose a Viagra or Gillette endorsement

Yogurt skews largely female, lower to middle income, and age 25-45.

https://gocatalant.com/blog/is-yogurt-really-for-girls-understanding-demographic-trends-as-a-marketer

Advertisers are in the business of selling the product, not hanging with the endorser when the endorser can be replaced with someone less controversial who did not get into a slinging match with someone of the same gender as the target demographic group for the product

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo7zkd0kRS4

I get that. But like I said, if Newton had told the reporter how impressed he was with her knowledge of the route tree, he would have come off just as sexist. Not something he would have thought to say to a male reporter, after all. IMO, Dannon should see this as a chance to support ALL, and not just run away at the chance of someone getting their feelings hurt. I would bet a woman in that job has a tougher skin than they give her credit for. Or should we say, the media swarm that chose to make it more of an issue than it should have been. If a company would just ignore the knee jerk reactions of social media and those posing as journalists, maybe then we can start making some real news.

AtlantaDan
10-05-2017, 03:24 PM
I get that. But like I said, if Newton had told the reporter how impressed he was with her knowledge of the route tree, he would have come off just as sexist. Not something he would have thought to say to a male reporter, after all. IMO, Dannon should see this as a chance to support ALL, and not just run away at the chance of someone getting their feelings hurt. I would bet a woman in that job has a tougher skin than they give her credit for. Or should we say, the media swarm that chose to make it more of an issue than it should have been. If a company would just ignore the knee jerk reactions of social media and those posing as journalists, maybe then we can start making some real news.

There are two separate issues - whether this should be reported as news and whether a company should tough it out and stick with the endorser once it is reported

If you sell a product you ignore social media and video at your peril

Why are sponsors quicker to pull the trigger? It probably isn't an increased sense of social responsibility. It's how quickly graphic images and video can spread virally.

"We're in a world where social media and video capture everything," .... "Pictures are very hard to deny. … It's one thing to hear about it. It's another thing to see it."

http://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/incredible-shrinking-athlete-endorsement-deal-161497/

In other words, wishing it had not been reported does not make the problem go away

As for Cam, maybe he could have just answered the question, which apparently did not involve a preface of the reporter showcasing her knowledge of route trees, rather than first smirking about how funny the question was?

Cam, I know you take a lot of pride in seeing your receivers play well. Devin Funchess has seemed to really embrace the physicality of his routes and getting those extra yards. Does that give you a little bit of enjoyment to see him kind of truck-sticking people out there?

Which prompted this initial response

“It’s funny to hear a female talk about routes, like…” Newton said. “It’s funny.”

The video is more offensive than the print version of the exchange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0GsdwVMA2w

What if a black or female reporter asked a CEO whether the high P/E ratio of the company's stock price might indicate the stock is overvalued and the CEO responded "it's funny to hear a black (or female) talk about P/E ratios, like ... It's funny"

Some players have expressed contempt for reporters who "never played the game" (Howard Cosell made that the title of his autobiography) but it is not the equivalent of mastering brain surgery to figure out how pro football is played and not only men can do it

43Hitman
10-05-2017, 03:47 PM
There are two separate issues - whether this should be reported as news and whether a company should tough it out and stick with the endorser once it is reported

If you sell a product you ignore social media and video at your peril

Why are sponsors quicker to pull the trigger? It probably isn't an increased sense of social responsibility. It's how quickly graphic images and video can spread virally.

"We're in a world where social media and video capture everything," .... "Pictures are very hard to deny. … It's one thing to hear about it. It's another thing to see it."

http://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/incredible-shrinking-athlete-endorsement-deal-161497/

In other words, wishing it had not been reported does not make the problem go away

As for Cam, maybe he could have just answered the question, which apparently did not involve a preface of the reporter showcasing her knowledge of route trees, rather than first smirking about how funny the question was?

Cam, I know you take a lot of pride in seeing your receivers play well. Devin Funchess has seemed to really embrace the physicality of his routes and getting those extra yards. Does that give you a little bit of enjoyment to see him kind of truck-sticking people out there?

Which prompted this initial response

“It’s funny to hear a female talk about routes, like…” Newton said. “It’s funny.”

The video is more offensive than the print version of the exchange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0GsdwVMA2w

What if a black or female reporter asked a CEO whether the high P/E ratio of the company's stock price might indicate the stock is overvalued and the CEO responded "it's funny to hear a black (or female) talk about P/E ratios, like ... It's funny"

Some players have expressed contempt for reporters who "never played the game" (Howard Cosell made that the title of his autobiography) but it is not the equivalent of mastering brain surgery to figure out how pro football is played and not only men can do it

Honestly, when I heard about this today on the radio, my initial reaction was that Dannon overreacted. However, after seeing that video and how he talked down to her like that, I have a completely

different feeling about it. I actually feel sorry for Cam that he thinks of women that way. Tells me a lot about his character. And being as Dannon's main target demographic is women ages 25-45, I

would have cancelled his contract too.

FrancoLambert
10-05-2017, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=43Hitman;608444]Honestly, when I heard about this today on the radio, my initial reaction was that Dannon overreacted. However, after seeing that video and how he talked down to her like that, I have a completely

different feeling about it. I actually feel sorry for Cam that he thinks of women that way. Tells me a lot about his character. And being as Dannon's main target demographic is women ages 25-45, I

Why?

It shows he's ignorant and sexist.

He's proven time and time again he's an ass.

Born2Steel
10-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Guess I have only looked at it from the social media control factor side of things. That, and I have never been put off by another person enough to stop buying products that sponsor them. That's probably my own short-sightedness. I do believe it's Cam's responsibility to be better than that. But after that SB post game interview of grunts and scowls, what else can we really expect from him? 'That's funny hearing football questions about running routes coming from someone who has never played the game as a WR', maybe would have been more PC?

Hawkman
10-05-2017, 07:57 PM
:focus::heh:

43Hitman
10-06-2017, 03:34 AM
[QUOTE=43Hitman;608444]Honestly, when I heard about this today on the radio, my initial reaction was that Dannon overreacted. However, after seeing that video and how he talked down to her like that, I have a completely

Why?

It shows he's ignorant and sexist.

He's proven time and time again he's an ass.
Because he more than likely learned how to treat women from his father. It's a shame that his father let him down like that. I understand that Cam is a grown man and certainly has the ability to

change the way he thinks of women, but when your taught from a role model that its okay to behave that way, its unlikely he will change. He may now though since it's been brought to light.

:focus::heh: Okay, okay. :chuckle: :drink:

teegre
10-06-2017, 06:19 AM
GAME BALL:
Cam Newton... for taking the media spotlight off of the Steelers.

Hawkman
10-06-2017, 01:23 PM
GAME BALL:
Cam Newton... for taking the media spotlight off of the Steelers.

:applaudit::rofl2: