PDA

View Full Version : Artie Burns Quietly Displaying Marked Improvement In Second Season

polamalubeast
09-23-2017, 10:16 AM
I don’t want to jinx it, but in my opinion, Pittsburgh Steelers second-year cornerback Artie Burns is really having himself a nice start to his second season. More than a year after he had a lot of people pulling their hair out after his name was called after “the Pittsburgh Steelers select…” during the 2017 NFL Draft in the first round, he is looking like the smart pick.

And I fully admit that I was certainly among those who had a lot of doubts about him and worried that the pick might just be a bust. He was an underclassman who even at that level was not a full-time starter, but more concerning to me is that he had a very obvious lack of physicality.

Well, that seems to be pretty much gone now. I have seen little to no issues with him from a physicality standpoint so far this year, and I think that shows. In truth, he really should have been a subject for a film room session from me this week, but I had so many other things that I wanted to get to that it just ended up not happening.

He has so far recorded three tackles in each game, all of them coming against the pass, but on only two of those six tackles did the play net a first down. In fact, he has two tackles for a yard’s gain or fewer, the other one even going for a loss of a yard.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/artie-burns-quietly-displaying-marked-improvement-second-season/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hawkman
09-23-2017, 11:11 AM
Nice!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2017, 01:04 PM
I am pleasantly pleased how Burns has progressed. His college tape showed a guy that plays in bail because he doesn't have a smooth backpedal or hip turn and had a tendency to peek to the QB and cheat in coverage, instead of relying on good technique. He still plays in bail technique and can get beat by the underneath out, as he turns his back to make the turn, but when they play with safety over the top, his long arms make it tough to throw over when in "bail and trail". He's a hard worker and its showing up, but I think he fits the scheme well.

He isn't a guy that I think you match up against a WR and have him follow, like Janoris Jenkins, Pat Petersen, etc. He plays the right side, plays outside technique, with help over the top(in cover 2 man under) and that way he really has to cut inside and drive on those throws, or chase things down going one way.

polamalubeast
10-02-2017, 02:58 PM

Mojouw
10-02-2017, 03:30 PM
I would really like to see a charting of where the completions are going. I feel like they are going to "odd" places. A lot of balls getting caught by backs and TEs against "hole in zone" and "randomly isolated LB" with a bit of Joe Haden getting tested.

My point, if teams are unable or unwilling to take shots outside the hash marks or down the field to WRs, I will watch a parade of short crap to backs and TEs all season.

Hawkman
10-02-2017, 04:14 PM
I would really like to see a charting of where the completions are going. I feel like they are going to "odd" places. A lot of balls getting caught by backs and TEs against "hole in zone" and "randomly isolated LB" with a bit of Joe Haden getting tested.

My point, if teams are unable or unwilling to take shots outside the hash marks or down the field to WRs, I will watch a parade of short crap to backs and TEs all season.

Watching yesterday, was wondering if Flacco was respecting our CBs. Haden has burned him a few times.

teegre
10-02-2017, 04:19 PM
I will watch a parade of short crap to backs and TEs all season.

That would be fine by me... as long as the defense can tackle (in order to keep those short gains from becoming long gains).

As in:
If the opposition is forced to take 12-15 plays in order to get into the red-zone, I'm confident that somewhere along the way, Shazier, Heyward, or Watt will create a splash play that will kill the drive.

polamalubeast
10-02-2017, 04:22 PM
For the moment,the opponents of the steelers have completed 61% of their pass and they have only 8 yards per completion!!!!

But the real test of this defense will start in the game against KC and they need to be better against the run too.

Born2Steel
10-02-2017, 04:29 PM
I am not afraid of any offense. This defense has been solid since the second half of last season. Think about this, James Harrison has played only 7 snaps in 4 games this season. And we haven't missed a beat.

Mojouw
10-02-2017, 04:30 PM
Watching yesterday, was wondering if Flacco was respecting our CBs. Haden has burned him a few times.

Maybe. But Flacco looks like a QB who has lost his confidence. He had multiple openings to go all moonball Joe and through a combination of his usual fear of pass rushers (both real and phantom), a bit of respect for the Steelers CBs, and then something "else" he didn't take any of those shots.

That "else" looks like whatever it is that happens when an NFL QB just isn't any good anymore.

Born2Steel
10-02-2017, 04:32 PM
Hard to load up and launch it with a sore back also.

polamalubeast
10-02-2017, 04:32 PM
I am not afraid of any offense. This defense has been solid since the second half of last season. Think about this, James Harrison has played only 7 snaps in 4 games this season. And we haven't missed a beat.

I am one of those before the season that I was very confident with this defense, but they need to prove how they will do against the elite offense.

If they are able to be competitive against every offenses in our schedule and they are better against the run, this defense will be elite, but that's their next step.

Mojouw
10-02-2017, 04:34 PM
That would be fine by me... as long as the defense can tackle (in order to keep those short gains from becoming long gains).

As in:
If the opposition is forced to take 12-15 plays in order to get into the red-zone, I'm confident that somewhere along the way, Shazier, Heyward, or Watt will create a splash play that will kill the drive.

Yup! Only real problem I see with the pass defense currently, is that Haden and Davis still seem to have a bit of "feeling" out period to get through. Right now, the easiest place to complete deeper passes against the Steelers is at the seam between the zone responsibilities of Haden and Davis. That isn't surprising and hopefully just kinda sorts itself out over the next few weeks.

Born2Steel
10-02-2017, 04:56 PM
I am one of those before the season that I was very confident with this defense, but they need to prove how they will do against the elite offense.

If they are able to be competitive against every offenses in our schedule and they are better against the run, this defense will be elite, but that's their next step.

I'm not saying this is an 'elite' defense. Yet. The defense has been solid. Teams don't put up big numbers on us as a rule. AND this defense is still improving. What impresses me is our front 7. If these guys continue to get pressure at their current rate, Burns is going to shine brighter. Hilton is a playmaker behind them. Even our safeties are looking pretty good. I put all those positives on the guys up front.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2017, 04:59 PM
Did anybody see him play press man against Wallace yesterday??

polamalubeast
10-02-2017, 05:00 PM
Yup! Only real problem I see with the pass defense currently, is that Haden and Davis still seem to have a bit of "feeling" out period to get through. Right now, the easiest place to complete deeper passes against the Steelers is at the seam between the zone responsibilities of Haden and Davis. That isn't surprising and hopefully just kinda sorts itself out over the next few weeks.

Flacco has never been that bad as he is at this moment,so much that I would not be surprised that the Ravens will want a new QB in the next off season if Flacco continues to be bad like that.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying this is an 'elite' defense. Yet. The defense has been solid. Teams don't put up big numbers on us as a rule. AND this defense is still improving. What impresses me is our front 7. If these guys continue to get pressure at their current rate, Burns is going to shine brighter. Hilton is a playmaker behind them. Even our safeties are looking pretty good. I put all those positives on the guys up front.

I agree!...In my opinion,this defense is close to be in the top 5 too.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Curious, has anybody looked at what the QB ratings were of the teams the Steelers have faced so far? Kizer, Keenum, Glennon, Flacco. :scratchchin:

polamalubeast
10-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Curious, has anybody looked at what the QB ratings were of the teams the Steelers have faced so far? Kizer, Keenum, Glennon, Flacco. :scratchchin:

This is why no one says that this defense is elite right now.But no doubt, this defense has talent.

Mojouw
10-02-2017, 05:19 PM

Well, I assume you know that the #'s are not good! In all seriousness, I would argue that the Steelers faced some decent defenses through 4 weeks across the board, but they have yet to really face a functioning offense.

QB rating on PFR
Kizer - 50.9 and its looked worse than that by all reports.
Keenum - 94.4 and almost totally skewed by one great game against Tampa and then two terrible games against Steelers and Lions. Figure "terrible" is closer to the truth.
Glennon - 76.9 and benched for a rookie
Flacco - 65.0 and he looks totally shaken right now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2017, 05:38 PM
Well, I assume you know that the #'s are not good! In all seriousness, I would argue that the Steelers faced some decent defenses through 4 weeks across the board, but they have yet to really face a functioning offense.

QB rating on PFR
Kizer - 50.9 and its looked worse than that by all reports.
Keenum - 94.4 and almost totally skewed by one great game against Tampa and then two terrible games against Steelers and Lions. Figure "terrible" is closer to the truth.
Glennon - 76.9 and benched for a rookie
Flacco - 65.0 and he looks totally shaken right now.

I knew it would not be good and am actually surprised Glennon rated better than Flacco.

My point is that I would not be taking the click bait that the Steelers secondary is as great as the stat geeks want to point out. I watched as Burns walked up to Wallace to play bump and run....but if anybody recalls seeing that play, they know who got spun around like a top. Lets not even talk about run support vs the Bears.

Psycho Ward 86
10-02-2017, 05:53 PM
AJ Green x2, TY Hilton, Jordy/Davante, Brandin Cooks, Deandre Hopkins coming up soon. Cant wait to see how he fairs against the best of the best

fansince'76
10-02-2017, 06:20 PM
I knew it would not be good and am actually surprised Glennon rated better than Flacco.

My point is that I would not be taking the click bait that the Steelers secondary is as great as the stat geeks want to point out. I watched as Burns walked up to Wallace to play bump and run....but if anybody recalls seeing that play, they know who got spun around like a top. Lets not even talk about run support vs the Bears.

It also wasn't that long ago that this defense was getting torched by the Case Keenums of the world. Hell, even Johnny Rehab dropped almost 400 yards on it. I'm happy for the improvement, regardless of degree.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2017, 06:32 PM
It also wasn't that long ago that this defense was getting torched by the Case Keenums of the world. Hell, even Johnny Rehab dropped almost 400 yards on it. I'm happy for the improvement, regardless of degree.

Agreed, the defense is better and the front 7 is always a factor. Look at the D line and the pressure getting to the QB is improved, although the lack of production from #98 is a bit worrysome to me. I'm just saying that the Steelers really haven't played a good QB yet, so we should temper the hype a bit on the secondary IMO.

BurghBoy412
10-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Artie needs to improve a little against the run.

Craic
10-02-2017, 08:00 PM

Ain't that the truth. My problem is they have me so confused . . . whenever an offense hands off the ball I hold my breath, but when they go to the air I relax.

st33lersguy
10-02-2017, 10:43 PM
I am just glad the D is shutting down weak Os, that itself is a sign of improvement. I agree though that the real test will be against the top Os

FrancoLambert
10-03-2017, 05:23 AM
Anybody miss Ross Cockrell???? :rolleyes:

43Hitman
10-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Anybody miss Ross Cockrell???? :rolleyes:
Who? :chuckle:

86WARD
10-03-2017, 03:17 PM
Is the defense really shutting down opposing teams run games?

Mojouw
10-03-2017, 05:06 PM
On yesterdays Depot podcast, they were talking about how the Ravens rushed the ball for 82 yards on 15 carries. 74 of them or something came on 2 of those carries. So I mean, outside of big splashy runs, they totally are. It was the same with Chicago. Same with Vikings. And Cleveland, who really cares?

polamalubeast
10-03-2017, 07:25 PM

Born2Steel
10-03-2017, 08:23 PM

Besides a few big runs against the Bears. Yes.

86WARD
10-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Besides a few big runs against the Bears. Yes.

There were some nice runs by Cook in the Vikings game and Collins ran for over 9 a carry in the Ravens game. The game flow steered those teams away from the run or it may have been more. I think they are averaging over 100 a game but that includes a dud against the Bears but an excellent game against the Browns. I think the run defense is decent, I don’t think it’s great yet.

Born2Steel
10-04-2017, 12:09 PM
There were some nice runs by Cook in the Vikings game and Collins ran for over 9 a carry in the Ravens game. The game flow steered those teams away from the run or it may have been more. I think they are averaging over 100 a game but that includes a dud against the Bears but an excellent game against the Browns. I think the run defense is decent, I don’t think it’s great yet.

When the run defense forces teams to throw, how much better does it need to be?

polamalubeast
10-04-2017, 12:22 PM
The run defense just needs to give fewer big play.

Of course, the game against the Bears was a disaster.

Born2Steel
10-04-2017, 12:26 PM
The run defense just needs to give fewer big play.

Of course, the game against the Bears was a disaster.

Of course. Always need to improve and give up fewer yards. Always. But, there really is no comparison with last year's defense and the way this defense is playing. If we played like this last season, we would already have #7. (Only the Bell injury would have stopped us)

Mojouw
10-04-2017, 12:27 PM

I don't want to get into a math lesson here, because no one needs that! But watch out for "average" carry #s. Collins ran for about 2 yards on every carry but 2 of them. Those were the 20+ and 50+ yard runs. So average looks great, but the median is far far lower.

Can do the same thing in the Minnesota game. 12 rush for 64 yards looks like over 5 a carry. But there was a long of 25. 39 yards on 11 carries is down to 3.5 per rush. I haven't looked at each of those rushes yet, but they were mostly not that good if my memory serves (and it is entirely possible it doesn'T!).

I have no desire to comb through the individual stats for the Chicago game, but I seem to remember Cohen for sure and maybe Howards rush yards being inflated by "big" runs rather than consistent 4-5 yards a pop stuff.

As I mentioned somewhere else, this defense and Shazier in particular, is showing a tendency to over-run gaps and "guess" shooting gaps and abusing linemen. When they get it right, tackle for a loss. When they get it wrong, look out!

What is my point? The run defense is sound, in general, it just has a tendency to give up big plays due to poor run support fills from the DBs and front 7 players running themselves out of the play.

Psycho Ward 86
10-04-2017, 03:03 PM

better apparently because thats not how the Bears game went down.

Did we all forget that game already after 2 weeks? And we didnt lose via a few fluky big runs. Howard really bullied us at times, and he could barely lift his injured arm/shoulder and came out of the game 3 times. It would have been a lot worse if he were healthy

Born2Steel
10-04-2017, 03:06 PM
better apparently because thats not how the Bears game went down.

Did we all forget that game already after 2 weeks? And we didnt lose via a few fluky big runs. Howard really bullied us at times, and he could barely lift his injured arm/shoulder and came out of the game 3 times. It would have been a lot worse if he were healthy

Just because a team schemes to beat your weakness, in this case over-pursuit, doesn't make you bad. Ravens tried the same without nearly the success. Got that under control now after the Bears game. That is the sign of a pretty damn good defense.

Psycho Ward 86
10-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Just because a team schemes to beat your weakness, in this case over-pursuit, doesn't make you bad. Ravens tried the same without nearly the success. Got that under control now after the Bears game. That is the sign of a pretty damn good defense.

1 awful run defense showing followed by 1 pretty good one. Thats all ive gathered about the run defense in the past 2 weeks. Stretch plays, especially where a cutback lane has been made available seem to be a weakness in our defense for the past couple seasons in what has otherwise been a good run defense. Im still pretty optimistic in this area. Especially how we tightened up after being humiliated on the ground by the Eagles/Dolphins last season. This defense is even more talented

86WARD
10-04-2017, 05:44 PM

It’s not the Run defense forcing it, it’s the fact teams were down 21-10, 20-9, and 19-3 forced teams to have to go away from the run and pass more.

The best test will come against KC in the 2nd and 3rd quarters when Reid starts using Hunt to run.

DesertSteel
10-04-2017, 05:44 PM
I don't want to get into a math lesson here, because no one needs that! But watch out for "average" carry #s. Collins ran for about 2 yards on every carry but 2 of them. Those were the 20+ and 50+ yard runs. So average looks great, but the median is far far lower.

I'm pretty sure that's how Barry Sanders made his hay.

86WARD
10-04-2017, 06:25 PM

That’s all fine and dandy and you can ignore the big runs if you’d like but what you are describing is vintage Adrian Peterson, Barry Sanders, etc. You really “can’t not” count it.

When I say the defense is decent but needs work, they can’t give up the 25+ yard runs...which they have done at least once a game. Unfortunately in this case, its part of the game and a killer.

Mojouw
10-04-2017, 06:37 PM
That’s all fine and dandy and you can ignore the big runs if you’d like but what you are describing is vintage Adrian Peterson, Barry Sanders, etc. You really “can’t not” count it.

When I say the defense is decent but needs work, they can’t give up the 25+ yard runs...which they have done at least once a game. Unfortunately in this case, its part of the game and a killer.

I agree. And I said as much. My point is that Collins did not rush for 9 yards per carry. That would be a terrible run defense. What he did was rush for 0-2 yards for 87 % of his carries and then got like 90+ % of his yards on the remaining 2 carries.

Collins is pretty darn far from Barry Sanders. And like I can't even begin to respond to that. If you all can't see the difference between Collins in the Ravens game and Sanders in like any game ever -- I suggest a lengthy Youtube session this evening.

Born2Steel
10-04-2017, 09:16 PM
1 awful run defense showing followed by 1 pretty good one. Thats all ive gathered about the run defense in the past 2 weeks. Stretch plays, especially where a cutback lane has been made available seem to be a weakness in our defense for the past couple seasons in what has otherwise been a good run defense. Im still pretty optimistic in this area. Especially how we tightened up after being humiliated on the ground by the Eagles/Dolphins last season. This defense is even more talented

Fair enough. What about the other 2 weeks? That comes to 1 bad game to 3 good ones. AND we took that bad one into OT. On the road. To a place we never win.(Just like Philly) Any 0-2 NFL team is pretty focused on not going 0-3, especially in front of the home crowd. It's called pride. Did we lose the game? Yes. It's more what they did to us, than what we were unable to do to stop them. Give them credit for scheming well.

RunNGun
10-04-2017, 09:17 PM
Artiest is looking like a top 5 CB thus far. Teams aren't even throwing at him. He's a crucial part in the improvement of our defense with him taking away his side of the field. He could definitely improve against the run, but his coverage is lights out. Let's hope he can keep up this level of play for the remainder of the season.

Born2Steel
10-04-2017, 09:25 PM
It’s not the Run defense forcing it, it’s the fact teams were down 21-10, 20-9, and 19-3 forced teams to have to go away from the run and pass more.

The best test will come against KC in the 2nd and 3rd quarters when Reid starts using Hunt to run.

Sure it is. The reason those teams only had 10, 9, and 3 points is because they couldn't use their run game effectively. Take away the run, make the offense one dimensional and have to pass. Dude, you know this.

KC will be a test. So will Jax this week. Every week is a test in the NFL. That's what some don't seem to understand. Penalties and turnovers will lose more games than having less talent. Still, 5 turnovers in one game doesn't make a team suck either.

- - - Updated - - -

Artiest is looking like a top 5 CB thus far. Teams aren't even throwing at him. He's a crucial part in the improvement of our defense with him taking away his side of the field. He could definitely improve against the run, but his coverage is lights out. Let's hope he can keep up this level of play for the remainder of the season.

Artie is only in his second season and playing very well. Everyone can improve their game. Let Artie become all pro at what he is doing and then we can work on his run support.

Psycho Ward 86
10-05-2017, 06:05 PM
Fair enough. What about the other 2 weeks? That comes to 1 bad game to 3 good ones. AND we took that bad one into OT. On the road. To a place we never win.(Just like Philly) Any 0-2 NFL team is pretty focused on not going 0-3, especially in front of the home crowd. It's called pride. Did we lose the game? Yes. It's more what they did to us, than what we were unable to do to stop them. Give them credit for scheming well.

Im happy with the run defense showing in the 1st 2 weeks. Just think that the past 2 weeks have shown that we still have the same weakness in our run defense. To be fair, I tend to agree that our defense (even just as whole) wasnt nearly as bad against the bears as most people think, especially since the game ends with us giving up 17 points if the offense does anything right. But giving up 74 rushing yards in 1.5 minutes in OT? Thats cause for concern. Howard couldnt even square up or run full speed on some his carries because he couldnt lift that injured arm much. I consider ourselves lucky it wasnt worse.

Looking at the remaining schedule, this is something were going to have to fix or we wont get very far. The jaguars and maybe the titans depending on who gets more carries are pretty much the only remaining teams that have a bunch of plodders for RB's that wont be able to threaten us with outside zone runs. Its definitely coming when we play New England. White, Burkhead, Lewis....speed speed speed